Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Body Under Guard (starts K+ shifts to M)!Now Complete!

+25
Bremilyfan
Karaoke_Junkie
carebear
snoozy
puckishbearscubsfan
Koudijs
agnerka81
Beth0524
dawnsfire
BrainySmurf0302
DBCrazy
baileypep
venzwife
Laffers18
Bonesbabe
newhaven5
Magic
jb
treble21
THX1138
jagglebells
spygrl
bones206
annd28
L_BionicWoman
29 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Body Under Guard (starts K+ shifts to M)!Now Complete! Empty The Body Under Guard (starts K+ shifts to M)!Now Complete!

Post by L_BionicWoman Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:33 am

This is my first time posting to the ABY, but I have been reading posts for a year now. I first posted this over at the FOX forum but then decided to permanently transfer here. Hope you like it.

The Body Under Guard

Genre: Angst
Pairing: B/B A/H and maybe more.
Rating: k+
By: Lindsay
Prologue
It wasn't supposed to happen like this. They had nothing to do with what happened. And now because of what I saw six years ago, we are running for our lives. We can't go out of the country. They have powerful connections all over the world that would just make it easier for them to make us disappear. It shouldn't even be an us, it should only be me. Since they are my family, they aren't safe. So in order to keep them alive we have to put our lives in the hands of others. But can we truly trust them or will we end up calling on the strength of one of our own to pull us through?

Chapter 1:

“Booth, stop it.” Brennan reached out smacking his hand just before it could successfully lift a fry away from her plate.

“I just wanted one.” He rubbed his injured hand.

Brennan eyed him skeptically, “That wouldn’t be so hard to believe if you hadn’t already stolen four. Why don’t you call Jackie over here and order your own plate?”

“Why would I do that when yours are so readily available?” He wiggled his eyebrows causing her to chuckle lightly.

A familiar ringing made its way through the Royal Diner as a new customer entered its doors.

Dr. Lance Sweets made his way in wearing the usual grey suit, his eyes scanned tables as if he were looking for someone but there was no need to search. Booth gestured to the gawky psychologist, with Brennan sitting right in front of him at their usual table.

He acknowledged them both before sitting beside Brennan. “So, what do I owe this visit? I heard you closed your latest case, maybe you have some lingering issue that you would like to discuss?” Sweets looked at the pair expectantly.

Brennan tilted her head to Sweets, using her eyes to urge Booth on.

Booth pursed his lips stubbornly, so she moved her leg sharply.

“Ow! Jeez Bones!” He leaned down and rubbed his shin. “I was gonna do it.”

Sweets glanced at them, his eyes widening at their actions, “Do what? Did something happen that I should know about? Did you kiss? Was their tongue this time?” Suddenly he was very excited.

A few patrons gave them curious looks before returning to their food.

“No!” They protested in unison, immediately bursting Sweets’ bubble.

“So what is it then?” His voice was flat and uninterested now.

“Don’t be like that Sweets; we actually wanted to apologize to you for this morning.” Booth had a suspiciously kind look on his face.

Brennan nodded in agreement, “And for all the times we’ve walked out on you early.”

“Or answered our phones for personal reasons.” Booth added.
“Don’t forget about how you call him twelve all the time,”Brennan pointed out.

“What about how you always say that psychology isn’t a science,” Booth volleyed.

She scowled in frustration, “Well it isn’t.”

“In your opinion Bones, not everyone’s.” he chided, amused at her stirring annoyance.

Sweets decided to stop the bickering before their sexual tension was released right here on the diner floor.

“What is this all about you two?”

Brennan smiled sheepishly, “Deputy Director Cullen caught us exiting our session early this morning.”

“Bones!” Booth was incredulous, “What are you doing?”

“What? You didn’t really think he would believe that we actually intended on voluntarily apologizing to him did you?”

“Well that just makes me feel great.” Sweets commented, now thoroughly annoyed.

Booth huffed, feeling sorry for the kid, “We really are sorry Sweets. Cullen called us on our crap, but we should have apologized sooner.”

“Thank you Booth.” He nodded satisfied.

Booth’s cell phone began to buzz on the table, but before he went to pick it up, he noticed a flick of red light. His senses went on high alert.

Timed seemed to stop when the red light appeared as a dot lying right over Brennan’s heart.

“BONES GET DOWN!” It all happened so fast, he launched himself across the table to protect his partner, and muffled shots rang out simultaneously.

The glass window shattered with a loud crash and screams erupted as everyone ran for cover.

And then…Dead silence.

It was over as soon as it began. Booth’s body lay partly on top of Brennan’s on the ground, his hands protecting their heads.

He uncovered his face, and looked around seeing Sweets, white faced and panic stricken laying flat on the floor, obviously shaken but okay.

“Booth?” She called his name, feeling his weight on her as she was pressed to the ground.

Brennan turned her head to see him, and relief flooded over her as he caught her gaze. “Are you okay, are you hurt?” Booth did what evaluation he could on her, with them still on the floor. He wasn’t taking any chances that the shooter was still watching.

“I’m fine Booth, I’m fine.” Her voice was shaky, “Are you okay?”

“Physically, yes.” She didn’t understand what he meant by that answer.

“Please stay down.” He whispered to her with enough force to tell her that it wasn’t a request.

Booth stood up slowly, and then standing with his back against the wall, he peeked around the wall, out the window making sure everything was clear.

He stepped forward pulling out his badge, “I’m FBI, and everyone please stay calm. It’s all over.”

The people that were still left in the diner asked panicked questions.

“Who did this?”

“Who were they shooting at?”

“Was this a gang?”

“Was this an undercover operation?”

Booth held up his hands, “All of your questions will be answered. Just stay put and let me know if anyone is hurt.”

He reached down and helped Brennan up off the floor, brushing the glass off of her shoulders and out of her hair. He carefully inspected her once again making absolute sure that she wasn’t injured.

Sweets stood up as well, his eyes wide in shock, “Don’t worry, I’m fine.” He flicked pieces of glass and dirt off, “Dude that came out of nowhere.”

“It was deliberate Sweets.” Booth searched for his cell phone, and picked it up off the floor from under the knocked over table.

“Who was the target?” He asked cluelessly.

“Me,” Brennan answered, her voice breathless.

Her eyes locked onto Booth’s as he dialed Deputy Director Cullen, “The target was me.”

“Why would somebody want to kill you?” Sweets asked, too shaken to realize that Brennan wasn’t looking at him.

“I don’t know,” she shook her head, still staring into Booth’s gaze, a silent communication playing between the two.

“I’m sure as hell going to find out.” Booth promised, his voice as hard as steel.

Last edited by L_BionicWoman on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:48 am; edited 3 times in total
L_BionicWoman
L_BionicWoman
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 60
Location : Resident/Native of Florida's Emerald Waters and White Sandy Beaches
Say What You Want : “Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Know what I mean?”
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Back to top Go down

The Body Under Guard (starts K+ shifts to M)!Now Complete! Empty Re: The Body Under Guard (starts K+ shifts to M)!Now Complete!

Post by annd28 Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:31 am

OH! I have been following this story and have absolutely loved every single line, I've been awaiting the next chapter. I too have been pondering to post here only but I have been posting both sites as of late. Still though I love love love this fic seriously, its just so exciting and then so touching. . . . .I better stop before I ramble on about how awsome of a job you are doing with this and how everyone here is so nice, and give awsome reviews and how hilarious they are but GREAT I'll be the first to say welcome if someone else hasn't already said it.

~Ann cheers cheers Very Happy

annd28
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 163
Say What You Want : So much to say so little time to say it.
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

The Body Under Guard (starts K+ shifts to M)!Now Complete! Empty Re: The Body Under Guard (starts K+ shifts to M)!Now Complete!

Post by bones206 Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:10 pm

I LOVE this story!!! Please PLEASE please post the next chapter soon!!!
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2057
Say What You Want : I want to go ride my horse. I love my horse. I want to watch the new episodes of Bones. I want to talk to my friends about Bones. But, most of friends don't watch Bones. Sad
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by spygrl Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:44 pm

I've been following this story in the BY too... very excited to see you bring it here to finish!
spygrl
spygrl
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by L_BionicWoman Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:35 am

Here is the next chapter. Thank you to my BY readers for continuing to check my story out here. New material will be up in a few days once I am finished posting the rest of the old material.
"I need agents to check the rooftops and windows of every building facing the northwest side of the diner. The shooter had to be in one of them to make that shot," Booth almost barked the orders into his cell phone as Brennan sat in stoic silence at her desk working.

"Yes I'm positive Charlie, I am quite qualified to make an accurate observation...just get them to work and call me if you find anything." He flipped the phone closed, slipping it into his pocket before turning to Brennan.

He watched as her elegant but strong hands flew over the keyboard as she sat seemingly unaffected by the recent events.

Booth usually knew better then to assume that this was anything other then a carefully executed facade. But there she was, someone had not even an two hours ago attempted to take her life and she was typing away, returning emails and reading the latest forensic anthropology web articles like normal.

It completely baffled him. Didn't she feel the fear, the uncertainty, the anxiety, because he certainly did, those emotions and more.

Her life had been in jeopardy multiple times and everytime the regret pierced him. It seeped into his whole body, and yet he still never garnered to courage. The courage to tell the truth about his feeling for her. A truth that he'd realized a long time ago but had refused to say aloud to anyone, especially not her.

What if she had been the one to get him a drink that night at her apartment, what if he hadn't gotten to Kenton in time, what if he hadn't found her and Hodgins in time, what if Pam Noonan hadn't called out his name before aiming her gun....what if he hadn't seen the bead of red light trained over her beating heart?

The thought of losing her was physically torturous. She would have died, never knowing how he truly felt about her, and he would never know if she carried the same feelings for him. Booth told himself that each time would be different, that he would just do it, no matter the risk. But someting kept holding him back.

Was the thought of losing her without letting her know how much he loved her the worst thing, or was it taking the risk, telling her and finding out that they would never be anything more, that she didn't feel the same.

Brennan looked up and caught him staring, his eyes almost black with an intensity that made a shiver roll down her spine. "Is there a reason you are just standing there watching me Booth?" her voice held an edge he hadn't expected.

His gaze eased back, released from the dark cloud of thought,"Just glad that your okay Bones." He answered sincerely dismissing her tone.

She faced the monitor once again,"Yeah, all thanks to you right? My hero." she mocked curtly, causing Booth to tilt his chin, his brow creasing in response to what he could only describe as a foul attitude.

He stepped over to her desk, bracing his body with his knuckles resting on the side of it. "Is there something I'm missing here Bones? I get the impression that your not exactly thankful, even appreciative." His aggravation now apparent.

The posturing, the intimidation act that he was trying to pull caused her already simmering anger to boil. The room seemed to be getting smaller by the second. She tightened her jaw, lifting her chin rebelliously matching him as he waited for her response.

After a few seconds of hardened tension her resolve began to crack. She blamed it on the events of the day. She could still see his face, even as he looked at her now. When he realized that she was a target of an unknown killer. The look had confused her and scared her at the same time, and then it all happened so fast.

She had to get out, had to get away from him before she said something that she would regret later. She stood up quickly, causing Booth to straighten."I didn't mean anything by it."

When he realized that Brennan intended to leave, he stepped around the desk, pushing the chair away with his foot, locking her in place with his hands on either side of her.

"Booth." she tried to sound light, as if it had been a misunderstanding, like she had just been trying to rile him up a but, but the unexpected movement flustered her. She pushed his hand to let her out bit they were clamped in place. His eyes boring into her, she tried to look away but kept being pulled back by some unknown force.

"Booth let me out, this is inappropriate."

He only got closer, making her back into the desk."Your not going anywhere until you tell me why you said it. You wouldn't have said it if you were just joking." Inexplicably her heart began thumping in her chest.

"Fine, if you want the truth. What you did while very much appreciated was stupid."

His expression was incredulous,"Stupid! What was I supposed to do Bones, just let some nutso kill you?"

"I would have seen it, I can take care of myself. You don't always have to jump in front of bullets for me." Her eyes widened as she realized the slip.

It hit him square in the chest. How could he have been so stupid. It explained this entire confrontation. His posture softened as he wrapped her in a hug. She stood stiff for a few moments before sinking into his arms, allowing her own arms to come up under his,resting her hands on his shoulders.

She felt his breath on her ear ,"Bones,"I'm sorry that you had to go through that again, I'm sorry we both had to. But,"he pulled back resting his hands on her lower arms,"I'm not sorry for doing what I did. You might call that being my usual alpha male self, but I call it being a good partner, being a good friend."

They were inches from each other, the heat that neither wanted to acknowledge but was always there lingered. Their breaths mingled, both blue and brown eyes flicking from one another to their lips.

Suddenly a crashing sound came from Brennan's doorway, they immediately stepped back as Angela leaned over to pick up a vase she had knocked over. "I'm sorry, continue with what you were doing....Caroline is here...."she backed out trying not to squeal at the top of her lungs at what she had almost witnessed,"She says she knows who tried to shoot you Bren. But we can wait."

She made a 180 degree turn, walking straight back to the platform pist at herself for her lack of grace.

"Well we should probably see..." Booth gestured to the door.

"Yeah," Brennan agreed, the awkwardness palpable.

He followed her out, both not knowing exactly what had transpired.

"Caroline," Booth followed Brennan up the platform," Angela says you've got something for us?"

She eyed the two partners who were standing unusually far apart,"Yes I do Cherie," her gaze turned to Brennan specifically,"Dr.Brennan, I assume you remember Benito Silva?"

Caroline got her confirmation when Brennan's face went ghostly pale. Booth immediately bridged the gap between them and stood by her side,"But he's.....he's in a Colombian prison....and he doesn't even know who I am."

"Benito Silva as in, the son of Colombian drug lord Carlos Silva?" Cam asked, the name ringing a bell.

She nodded,"The one and only Dr.Saroyan. Thank goodness."

"I thought he was sentenced to life in prison for raping and murdering women who worked at a steel manufacturing factory?" Booth mentioned having been familiar with the case from the news.

"He was, but where you have money, and corruption, technicalities are easy to come by. He was released 3 days ago and hasn't been seen since."

"What does this all have to do with Dr.Brennan?" Hodgins asked.

Caroline looked at Brennan once again,"Do you want to tell them or should I?"

Everyone watched her, waiting for her response,"I was the secret witness responsible for launching the whole investigation and ultimately putting him away. The U.S. Embassy thought it better since the Silva family is so powerful down there that I not be named, but my testimony was admitted."

"I don't understand Bren, were you in Colombia six years ago?" Angela wondered.

"I was in Venezuela on a dig, during the summer." her eyes focused on the floor, taking herself back."A team including an archeologist from Brazil, about 15 graduate students and I were working at a location where an ancient burial site was uncovered from when the Spanish colonized the area systematically killing Mariches natives."

"About three weeks into the recovery the wind shifted, our cadaver dog Swifty led me all over the place. About a mile away from the initial site there was a land fill. We were in the middle of nowhere so I figured it was just the food mixed in with the trash that distracted him."
Her voice was hollow, but she had to stop her chin from quivering before continuing,"He sat down right by a whole that was covered up by a blue tarp. I lifted the tarp and..."she closed her eyes momentarily as it all flooded back, the smell, the taste of death, the sand stinging her legs," the bodies were mutilated, some were months old, some weeks, one or two days. I took pictures, and found an factory ID near the pit, as well as a gold ring. It read B.Silva: The Chosen Son."

"Long story short Dr.Brennan's evidence launched an entire investigation which ended in putting that sorry excuse for a human in maximum security for life." Caroline finished, watching the good doctor sympathetically.

"How do we know for sure that Silva is the one who tried to kill Brennan?" Angela asked.

"Silva wouldn't risk the hit himself, he probably used one of his goons. But its too much of a coincidence." Booth commented.

"That and,"Caroline hesitated,"the Colombian prosecutor that got Silva convicted, and was one of two people who knew Dr.Brennan's identity, was attacked last night at her home, she gave them your identity under duress."

Brennan took a step back as if taking a blow,"Casara, is she okay, is Martin okay?"

Booth reached out and rested his hand on her shoulder, giving it a comforting squeeze.

"Yes, they have been put in protective custody. Which is what is happening to you, the U.S. Marshalls will be here in an hour. Agent Booth will escort you to you apartment to grab your things."

"No!" Brennan protested adamantly,"I'm not going to let him push me out of my lab. What about my work, what about our cases, what if we get any new ones. None of my graduate students are ready to work solo."

"I'm sorry Cherie, but you have no choice in this matter. The directors of the Jeffersonian have already contacted your Canadian counterparts to handle any incoming cases. Your safety is of the utmost importance to this lab and the FBI."

Brennan looked to Booth, her eyes pleading for him to do something, he turned to Caroline,"This is the only way to keep her safe?"

"Yes."

He returned his gaze to Brennan, she pursed her lips. It hurt to see that she looked so betrayed by his lack of argument, but he could get over that. She had to be out of harm's way.

"Wait, so what will the rest of us do?" Hodgins asked.

"You do your jobs as normal. You didn't always work in conjunction with the FBI. And Booth, you will work solely with your unit."
Booth entered Brennan's apartment first, gun drawn to make sure everything was clear.

Brennan stepped in behind him, scowling with irritation. The entire situation was ridiculous.

First she gets shot at, then she is ordered by her superiors to cease her work and now because she is a federal witness, U.S. Marshals are taking her into custody. What irked her the most was that Booth had gone right along with the whole mess.

Wasn't he supposed to be on her side?

"Booth this is ridiculous, I didn't need you to accompany me." She called as he searched each room.

He came back from the hallway holstering his gun,"You can't be too careful Bones. Silva has all kinds of resources at his disposal. "

She went to pass him, his knuckles grazing her jeans,"Too bad for him he missed the first time huh?"

Booth turned abruptly and looped his fingers around her wrist,"Don't....don't even joke about something like that." Brennan pursed her lips, prepared to rebuff his command, but his somber gaze stopped her,"Okay," she replied softly instead.

He let go of her wrist gently and walked into the living room, shoving his hands in his pockets. Brennan watched him pace for a moment before heading to her bedroom.

She stopped in the doorway and surveyed the area taking a deep breath. Her bed was neatly made, all things in place, familiar, comfortable.

Brennan walked inside, pulled a duffel bag from her closet, and began to pack clothes and other necessities. Her thoughts churned in the process, replaying the days events.

This morning had been like any other morning. Booth had shown up with coffee and a smile. They headed to a session with Sweets that was promptly shortened due to a call from Cam.

They drove to the lab where Hodgins gave them the evidence needed to charge the suspect in their latest case. Which led them to the diner and suddenly she was shoved back into something that was supposed to have been over 6 years prior.

She was only 26 years old, but still very similar to the woman she was today. So when she discovered the bodies of those young women, the overwhelming sense of respect Brennan held for the dead lead her to speak up, to be their witness.

Their remains still haunted her, ghosts that followed her as did all of the people she spoke for. Her anger bubbled under the surface as she thought of Benito Silva, the handsome monster who preyed on the working women and used his privileges to get away with brutally murdering them.

Now she was his target, the object of his desire. She had stood up to him in a way no one else could.

Brennan finished with her clothes and transfered to the bathroom, tossing the necessary toiletries in a smaller bag.

Silva had attacked an old friend. Casara Delgado was very much like herself. A woman at the top of her field despite her age and the stigmas still held against intelligent and outspoken women.

They had spent many nights together, going over evidence, Brennan explaining the forensics, Casara explaining the ins and outs of the Colombian justice system. It weighed heavy that she had not visited, only emails, holiday cards, and rare phone calls.

"Tempe." she could almost hear her terrified voice, "Tempe its Cassie."

"Bones!" Booth called out and she realized she actually was hearing her voice.

Brennan bolted out of her room, down the hallway. Booth was standing by her answering machine, a message playing. Casara's voice, the creamy, calm accent that she knew so well was quivering,"I'm so sorry," she was crying,"You probably know what happened by now and they are taking you into protective custody. They came to my home Tempe, they tied Martin and I up, pointed a gun at out heads. I had to tell them.." she paused, trying to control her emotions,"I'm pregnant Tempe..I couldn't let them hurt my husband, my baby."

Brennan knelt down, listening closer. Booth stepped forward, and once again did the only thing he could, laid his hand on her shoulder, her pain his own.

"Benito will come after you, and he won't stop until he's killed you." her voice strengthened with resolve,"but if I know you Tempe, and if what you told me about that American cop is true, its Silva that needs protection. Esté seguro hermana. Dios los bendiga."

The message clicked off. Brennan wiped a stray tear away with the back of her hand before standing up, the fear, and swirl of emotions being pushed back inside,"Thankfully she's okay."

"Bones."Booth reached out grasping her arm and turned her to him, she glanced back to the answering machine and saw that one message still remained,"Booth there's another voicemail."

She reached out and pressed play, her blood turning to ice at the sound of Benito Silva's voice slithering through her apartment.

"Dr.Temperance Brennan.." his voice was eerily smooth,"What a lovely thing it is to know the name of the woman who condemned me to jail for eternity. Quite the celebrity over here in the states, made finding you much easier then I expected. Although that cop of yours...." Brennan's gaze locked on Booth,"I didn't expect that. But I learn form my mistakes,I will get you Dr.Brennan," the fluid tone Silva used to lure was gone, the sinister hiss in its place," even if I have to deal with him and your entire beloved Jeffersonian team. Adios darling."

Before she realized the fury that took over her, Brennan lunged forward and ripped the machine out of the wall, throwing it across the carpet.

Booth stood there stunned as she rushed into her bedroom, stuffing her gun into the duffel bag before zipping it up and storming back to where Booth stood.

She couldn't look at him, “Call Caroline....If I'm being forced into witness protection, then you, Cam, Angela and Hodgins are coming with me."
L_BionicWoman
L_BionicWoman
Squint
Squint

Back to top Go down

Post by jagglebells Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:47 am

This should be good. Poor Bones. Too bad Angela had to interrupt their moment. I hope you update soon!! I can't wait to find out what happens next!

jagglebells
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 600
Say What You Want : I'm bored.
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:58 pm

I like where this is heading, I see a lot of Dark Booth coming and if that's the case, then Silva's the one who needs protection. Twisted Evil

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by L_BionicWoman Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:37 am

Caroline approached Booth and the brain trust as they stood visibly agitated in front of the platform. She was flanked by two U.S. Marshals who looked like they stepped out of a Men in Black movie.

"Now don't look so dour everyone." The attempt to lighten the mood flew over like a lead balloon as the group continued to stare at the agents and each other warily.

"This is Agent Frost," Caroline motioned to her right,” and Agent Devlin,"she tossed her thumb to the left. "They will be escorting you to your safe house."

"Plural ma'am," Agent Devlin stepped forward, “Safe houses."

"Huh," Caroline scoffed, “Good luck with that.” As she went to leave, she turned back to the pouting group, “I don't need to tell you all to be careful do I?"

As harsh as she could be with the bunch, they were damn good at their jobs, and she held a special interest in Booth and Brennan's relationship. She hoped they came out of this ordeal relatively unscathed.

They all shook their heads causing Caroline to nod satisfied and make her way out of the Jeffersonian.

"Okay," Agent Frost walked forward taking the lead,"Dr.Brennan and Dr.Saroyan will come with me, Agent Booth, Ms.Montenegro and Dr.Hodgins you will go with Agent Devlin."

Booth shook his head immediately in protest,"That's not how its going to work Agent Frost. I'm sorry, but I am staying with my partner. The more protection she is under the better. Cam can take my place with Angela and Hodgins."

"Agent Booth, I understand your hesitance to turn over your authority in this matter but....." his words were interrupted.

"This has nothing to do with who has authority or which government agency can piss the furthest. This is about the safety of my partner and our people."

Booth stood toe to toe with the young agent who hadn't had enough experience to have the arrogance knocked out of him.

"That is our top priority Agent Booth. I am sorry, but you have no choice in this matter." The room grew tense as the two stared each other down. The squint squad stood there watching. Each assessing the situation in a different way.

Cam stood with her arms across her chest, trying to decide what the odds were that Boot would deck a U.S Marshal. She mused for a moment deciding on 1 in 5.

Angela bit her lip, eyes wide as she made a considerable effort not to swoon and squeal over Booth's fierce defense and his insistence in being able to protect Brennan himself. If Brennan didn't get the picture soon, she might contemplate jumping the man herself.

Hodgins tried to hide the smile that usually appeared on his face when he thought something was bad@ss. He admired Booth immensely and seeing him claim the team and the good doctor while intimidating the hell out of a Marshall was in fact awesome. He decided it was very possible that he had a man crush.

Brennan just stared at Booth in a state of confusion. Her rational mind told her that his alpha male tendencies were unfounded. The agents were trained specifically to protect people, there was no reason that he needed to be with her. But another, seemingly more prominent part of her was bothered by the fact that he wouldn't be around through all this. She didn't know why it should make a difference, but it did.

Booth exhaled through his nose, relaxing his clenched jaw. He didn't have to like the decision, but ultimately he had no choice. Agent Devlin gestured to Frost to back down as well. "We'll give you a few minutes to say your goodbyes." They walked away giving them space.

Hugs, goodbyes and words of encouragement passed between the close-knit group. No one wanting to acknowledge the seriousness and possible finality of the situation. They wouldn't allow those thoughts to enter their minds.

Angela hugged Brennan tightly,"Be safe sweetie. I love you."

Brennan squeezed back,"I love you too Ange."

Angela went to step back hesitantly before being pulled back in by her best friend.,"Take care of Booth okay Ange." she whispered,"He'll have a hard time with this...You know because of his irrational need to protect me all the time.

Angela rolled her eyes,"Of course..irrational." Weren't they going into protective custody because a crazy Colombian murderer wanted revenge on her for sending him to prison?

Cam gave Booth a comforting hug,"I'll watch after her big man." he nodded against her shoulder, fully believing her promise. Suddenly came felt a weight in her pocket, Booth stopped her from looking by pulling her closer,"Its an untraceable cell phone. If anything goes wrong, you'll let me know. Cop mode Camille, you know what to do."

They pulled back from each other,"And I thought it was my angelic looks that made suspects bow at my feet."

Finally cracked a half smile,"Only half the reason."

"Booth?" Booth turned slowly towards the familiar husky voice, brown eyes locking onto blue. They stepped closer awkwardly, not really knowing what to say or do. Everyone watched the pair, a marked sadness in the bittersweet moment.

Brennan held out her hand timidly, unsure of the appropriate way to say goodbye. A sudden ache gripped her whole body. Booth's gaze went to the outstretched hand knowingly. She had to be kidding herself if she thought that a handshake between them would be enough.

He reached out to grab her hand before pulling her against his chest in a hug, burying his face in her hair with an uncharacteristic display of affection.

Brennan stumbled a little as Booth gathered her into his arms. She tensed at first, not expecting him to be so bold, especially in front of everyone.

But what did she expect exactly? There was a distinct possibility that she could be killed, that any one of the people that meant the most to her could be killed. In response to this train of thought she sunk into his warm body, the cocoon familiar and ever comforting.

She was the first to pull back, the warmth lingering as she left the safety of his arms. The tension rose immediately as both partners tried to hide the feelings that became obvious during these shared moments.

"I'm really sorry Booth,"Brennan looked to her friends,"I'm sorry to everyone. I know it doesn't help anything for me to blame myself for the danger your all in, but it still doesn't stop me from feeling at fault."

"No." Booth stated promptly shaking his head. She looked at him quizzically,"No Bones, don't even feel that way. Its not your fault. You did the right thing by those women. I know it and everybody here knows it."

Still looking unsettled,Angela stepped forward and took Brennan's hand in hers,"Sweetie we put murderers away for a living. We are always in danger of someone or another. Flash frozen turkey's even fly at our heads."

Everyone chuckled at the memory, glances made towards and embarrassed Hodgins."Its a risk we take willingly to help people."

Booth nodded continuing,"We're family Bones, and families take care of each other no matter what."

He said it with such conviction. Their eyes locked together like blue and brown ends of magnets, a thousand thoughts and feelings that didn't take words passing between them. Their connection so intimate that the squints only felt it necessary to turn away and let them share it in private.

"Its time to go people." Agent Devlin came back into view, bursting their personally crafted bubble.

Everyone gathered their mandatory singular duffel bag. Booth grabbing Brennan's as well before she could protest. Each of them became lost in their own thoughts as they made their way to the parking garage lead by the marshals.

Questions swirled as they wondered what would become of their
beloved lab without their presence. What would become of them all? It was an almost ominous feeling. Like the calm before the storm.

"Before we load all of your belongings I have to ask everyone to turn over cellphones, pagers, PDAs and any weapons you may have on you."

Two more agents appeared from inside each unmarked Suburban. They stood on opposite sides of the parking garage looking like secret service.

As aggravated glances passed between the friends, hands dived into bags and pockets pulling forth all forms of electronics. Agent Frost eyed Booth suspiciously when it appeared that everything had been repossessed.

"Agent Booth," their eyes met and Frost gestured to his waist,"Your weapon."

Brennan tensed expecting Booth to protest, but was surprised when he promptly took his gun from its holster and passed it to Frost. The man smiled like a Chesire cat,"Your back up too...please."

This time Booth's hand clenched into a fist, and he huffed in frustration as he knelt down to his ankle holster and handed over that weapon as well. "Well then, is that everything?" Agent Devlin asked. A sigh of relief seemed to ripple throughout.

Everyone nodded, Cam glanced very briefly to Booth letting him know that their secret was safe.

The Marshalls loaded everything into its respective vehicle,"Its time to head out. Dr.Saroyan and Dr.Brennan with Agent Silver and Agent Frost. You'll leave first, then we will in 5 minutes."

Shuffling feet echoed against the parking garage's concrete walls. Hodgins helped Angela into the car. Then they both watched as Booth guided Brennan with his hand on her lower back into her seat.

Neither said a word as Brennan stepped into the vehicle. Booth pulled the seatbelt down across her torso and clicked it into the buckle. Her usual protest about the outdated acts of chivalry died in her throat as he smoothed the belt against her shoulder, an unusual look of forced concentration on his rugged face.

When he finally looked her in the eye she could swear she saw his warm brown eyes glaze over with moisture. But it vanished quickly when he blinked.

Looking over her gorgeously constructed face and into her heart-stopping blue eyes, he couldn't help but think if he should tell her.

Would this be the last time they saw each other? Would Silva find her, find them? It was too painful to bear. She tilted her head and he knew she was trying to decipher the war going on in his mind.

As much as he wanted to take her in his arms, kiss her and tell her it would be all right, he knew that it would be selfish of him to drop a bomb like that on her and then have to walk away. So all he could do was lean in and place a chaste kiss on her porcelain cheek,"Be safe Bones, trust your instincts. I'll see you soon."

She nodded in a surprised daze as Booth stepped back and shut the door. He stepped away further, his back hitting his own door, as the car began to pull away.

Brennan sat with her hands in her lap, telling herself that there was no legitimate reason to feel as sad as she did. They would all see each other again. She would see Booth again. But what confused her the most, is that she didn't understand why Booth's absence bothered her the most.

Suddenly anxiety hit and she turned around in her seat to look out the back window. She caught his eyes a split second before they turned the corner.

Cam watched on sympathetically as Brennan turned back around in her seat and slumped down slightly. As tumultuous as she and Dr.Brennan's relationship was in the beginning, she had grown to admire and respect her as a coworker and as a person.

And knowing Booth as long as she had, Cam knew that their relationship went beyond anything that she, the squints, hell even nature could comprehend.

So even if Booth hadn't admitted his feelings, and Brennan didn't completely understand her own, the heartache was still there. She truly hoped that this whole ordeal allowed them to finally erase that damn line.

Booth turned around, the last glimmer of Brennan still lingering in his mind. He got into the Suburban glancing briefly at the pity filled faces of Angela and Hodgins before sending all of his attention to his fingernails.
L_BionicWoman
L_BionicWoman
Squint
Squint

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:36 am

Gah! I can't believe Booth didn't insist on going with her, hell I can't believe he didn't take the baby marshal and teach him some manners. So now I'm wondering just where this is going, and suddenly - like Brennan - I find myself hating surprises! Good story but the suspense is killing me, more please.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:27 am

oooo I love this story, can't wait for the next update!!
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jagglebells Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:35 am

Moooooore!!! This is awesome! Poor Booth and Brennan. They wanted to be together SO bad. I hope they do end up at the same house anyway. I have a good feeling about this story!

jagglebells
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by L_BionicWoman Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:10 am

Next chapter...

As the child of a rock star, Angela "Pearly Gates" Montenegro knew how to occupy herself when on the road.

Her dad would play shows at night and sleep on the tour bus during the day, so she had a lot of time to herself.

A sketchpad and charcoal pencils entertained her keen eye and wild imagination. So on their way to the safe house that would hopefully keep her and her family alive, Angela drew a portrait that she intended to give to the wounded puppy sitting to the right of her.

She glanced quickly over her pad and watched as Booth sat rigidly, staring out the window, a blank look on his face. It absolutely baffled Angela that Brennan and Booth stubbornly refused to admit their feelings to one another.

Obviously Booth had fallen first. He worshipped the ground she walked on, but not in the pathetic, overly emotional momma's boy kind of way. In the silent, ever-vigilant, protector sort of way.

He was there for her in ways that no one else could be. She understood his hesitance, knowing Brennan as she did, to admit his feelings. But my God it was turning into a joke.

She rolled her eyes thinking about Brennan. Angela could slap the woman sometimes. That or tattoo In Denial across her forehead. They went out to lunch and/or dinner almost everyday, they hung out at the bowling alley and went ice skating.

He was there for her with her family; she was there for him with his belligerent brother and the trauma from his time in the Army. For crying out loud he took a bullet for her and she broke the law to save him from the Gravedigger.

If that wasn't love then what the hell was everyone else doing.

Hodgins observed Angela as she worked in taut concentration on her drawing. Eyeing Booth warily her scooted up in his seat and leaned into Angela. "Hey Ange?"

Her eyes sliced to him for a moment, “What Jack?" She still wasn't sure how she felt about being holed up for an unknown amount of time with Hodgins. Everything had been such a roller coaster since their breakup.

Then the Roxie situation, followed by an impromptu romp in the Egyptian artifacts room made it even more confusing.

She was now 5 and 1/2 months into her Sweets imposed celibacy and it had yet to pay off in the whole finding a deeper connection with someone bit. But as difficult as it had been in the beginning, she was finding a personal satisfaction in the control she was showing.
It was almost a spiritual experience. Nobody thought that she could do it and Brennan was clueless as to why she would even try. She would deny it when confronted, but she truly did want to see if Sweets was right. Could she connect with someone on a solely emotional basis? Or was she just incapable of a true connection?
"Angela...you in there?"
"Yeah." she shook her head a little, refocusing, “What did you say?" she whispered.
"I was just wondering how we are going to keep G-man occupied so he doesn't go stir crazy worrying about Brennan."
She began to fill in some lines on her pad, “That will be impossible Jack. No matter what we do he'll worry. We all will."
Hodgins nodded, sitting back in his seat. He looked at Booth and at that moment had never had more admiration for the guy.
He had never told anyone what he and Brennan shared when they were buried alive. Not that it was some mind-blowing epiphany, but Brennan's faith in Booth, whether she wanted to define it that way or not, showed him just how much she cared for her partner.
Angela insisted on playing their matchmaker, but he learned back then that it was an inevitability, so coaxing was unneeded. It was an honor watching something so epic unfold.
He could laugh thinking back on when Booth first joined the team. He like Brennan had assumed that Booth would be like every other agent that had passed through their lab. But now he was as much of a member of their team as Brennan or Angela.
Now, he could only imagine the turmoil that was being forced upon the duo by this situation. He hoped that everyone turned out well, for their sake.
Hodgins turned to study Angela as she engrossed herself in her work. He always found her fascinating when she drew. Her brow furrowed, and her lip curled in concentration.
Honestly the idea of Angela Montenegro being celibate for 6 months had him extremely skeptical. It had gone from funny, to insane when she began hitting on every man and woman in sight. But she had committed to it after a while and he had admired her for it, loved her for it. Maybe it would open her eyes to them.
This is why he felt such respect for Booth. Most would find it pathetic that a man would hang on to a woman when it seemed hopeless, but he understood. For the right woman....you wait. He didn't know how long, but if Booth could wait as long as he had, then a little longer for his own epic love story wouldn't hurt.

Cam knew the second she and Dr.Brennan were paired together for protection that the next few days, or however long they were hidden, would be filled with awkward silences and uncomfortable small talk.

Under normal circumstances the awkward silence would be ideal but for some unknown reason the lack of noise as they rode in the SUV to a location of unknown origin was driving Cam stir crazy.

She attempted to start a conversation with Brennan, but she couldn't think of a single thing to say that wouldn't garner a blank stare. The woman was a zombie without Booth to push her buttons and heat her up a little.

So she looked to the front where Agent Frost and a female Marshall sat. "Would either of you mind turning the radio on?"

The female agent peered at her through the rear view mirror. "We'll be at the safe house soon enough." Cam's eyes narrowed immediately at the testy blond, who obviously only thought of their protection as a glorified babysitting gig.

Before she had time to make an appropriately snarky remark in return, Brennan had unbuckled her seatbelt and leaned forward across the middle console.

Believing that she was about to be physically assaulted, the agent pulled back pressing her self against the side window.

Brennan paid no attention, flicking the radio on. The first station blared country music, which drew a grimace from Cam and her coworker....now hero. "I don't find country music very appealing, how about you Dr.Saroyan?"

Cam pulled the hand away that attempted to keep the laughter bubbling in her throat at bay. The absolute look of pure hatred that the agent was giving Brennan was priceless. "No, Dr.Brennan I'm not much of a fan."

In response she turned the station to a popular music one before sitting back in her seat. Brennan gave Cam a weak smile in response to her mouthed thank you.

Cam looked back to the Marshall, raising her eyebrow in cocky response to the prissiness. Maybe this wouldn't be as bad as she thought.
L_BionicWoman
L_BionicWoman
Squint
Squint

Back to top Go down

Post by jagglebells Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:47 am

Haha! Go Brennan!! I feel bad for Booth and Bones though because they can't be together!! Fix it!!! Please! Update soon, this is getting very interesting Smile

jagglebells
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:16 am

I feel sorry for both of them but my money is on Booth breaking the rules first - probably getting Cam to let him talk to her through their phone. Ahh, if such enforced exile doesn't stir the man to action me thinks nothing will. Great story so far, and I can't help wanting more!

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by L_BionicWoman Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:25 am

Next chapter.....

It seemed like they had been driving for hours when the automobile pulled up in front of a one story ranch style house smack in the middle of Suburbia. Booth observed the neighborhood from behind the car's tinted window.

It was an older neighborhood, with different colors on the homes, neatly cut grass and personalized mailboxes spread throughout.

From his observations he garnered important details. One, there was no toys or bikes in the yards, immediately equaling no children.

None of the cars that he could see had handicapped parking placards, and all the cars were mid-level sedans, SUVs and low end sports cars which clued into younger residents.

No one would pay attention to grown adults in business attire moving in. These people were worried about their own lives, and their own careers. He nodded in approval.

A gentle pressure rested on Booth's forearm, grabbing his attention. He turned and found a hand resting their, then looked to the hand's owner. Angela smiled sheepishly, “We’re here Booth. Let's go."

He nodded, unbuckling his seatbelt and following her and Hodgins out of the vehicle. Grabbing his duffel bag, Booth slowly walked up the concrete pathway noticing Agent Devlin attempting to inconspicuously watch him.

This whole situation was not sitting well with him. They should be together, all in one area, he should be with his Bones to protect her, to keep her safe.

Seeley Booth was not an unintelligent man. Maybe he didn't know every bone in the body, or the stages of maturation in many varieties of insects, or how to input specific data into a computer so it could determine the height and weight of a suspect.

But he did have many years of experience as a sniper and investigator. Although not one to boast, his skills were unparalleled and in this instance they were paramount.

In transitioning from Army Ranger to FBI Agent he had to learn to control these above average abilities, using them only at a less aggressive fashion. A person with as much leverage as Silva doesn't just give up on a hit when there is a little heat from authorities.

So as of now, he would cease to hold back, knowing that complacency in the hands of the Marshals could be fatal.

He needed to stay alert, because their lives depended on it. And no one would be there for Brennan if anything happened to him, and Parker would no longer have a father.

Some might say he expected to much of himself, that he couldn't carry the responsibility, but that is what you do for the people you love.

Booth could have snapped Frost's neck when he separated them. But if he could feel safe it one thing, it was that Brennan was paired with Cam.

They might have had their differences in the beginning, separately they were formidable, but together they could be...he actually smiled at the thought.

Cam had been a cop for 10 years, in the Bronx no less. She was severely underestimated by the squints, Brennan especially. Like Booth, she had her own control switch, and God help whoever caused her to flip it.

They entered the house, and Booth nudged the door closed. As they placed their belongings, Devlin and the second Marshall from the car were joined by a third, a female who had been watching after the house.

Devlin, the one they had been introduced to at the Jeffersonian took off his shades and gestured to them, “This is Agent Grace Fallon and Agent Landon Tyler. They will be assisting in your protection."

Fallon stepped forward, a leggy brunette with her hair pulled in a tight bun at the nape of her neck, not particularly gorgeous but pretty none the less.

“Some ground rules. Agent Booth I'm sure these are of no surprise to you," she smiled slightly causing Angela to eye her suspiciously," There are 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. During the day, we want everyone in the common areas. No one goes outside, stay away from the windows as best as you can."

The Agents split up for a little surveillance outside the home, telling Hodgins, Angela and Booth to stay inside. So while Angela and Hodgins went to sit down on a couch, Hodgins pulling out a pack of cards from his pocket, Booth decided to do his own surveillance.

Angela turned her eyes from the hallway that Booth had disappeared down. Instead she looked at Hodgins who was dealing out playing cards, alternating each card between them. "Something is off with Booth."

"Huh," Hodgins snorted,"No offense Ange, but what isn't off with the G-man right now."

"Your right," she slapped down an Ace of hearts effectively conquering Hodgins' 10 of clubs. "Ha....." she giggled as he groaned and their eyes caught for a moment before returning to the game.

Booth walked down the hallway slowly and entered the first room to his right. Surveying the 12 by 12 box he saw a blow up mattress with a sheet for a cover and a pillow. "Hmm, some five star hotel."

He kicked the mattress lightly before stepping towards the sole window. Tacky floral drapes provided minimal coverage. He was surprised and disgusted to see that there weren't any locks or duct tape to ward off intruders. Intruders that were most certainly after more then any money or jewelry they had.

"Scouting for the best room Agent Booth."

Booth swung around immediately,"What kind of precautions are these," he pointed to the window, his voice more of a growl surprising Agent Fallon.

She walked across the room, all joking aside and observed his concern, after a moment a knowing smile appeared on her face.

"What's so funny," he scowled at her.

Fallon pointed up to a little white box one the bottom of the window,"This is a motion sensitive alarm. If someone pulls the window higher then the sensor, a high pitched alarm will sound. All of the windows have them. They are actually very effective precautions."

Booth's gaze immediately shifted away, trying not to let onto his embarrassment.

"Its okay Agent Booth, being protective of your people isn't a bad thing. I'll try not be too insulted by your doubts in my teams capabilities." His lips twitched at her good humor. But it was no match for the spark that his partner could ignite within him.

Cam raised one eyebrow up from her novel as Brennan let out her umpteenth discontented sigh. Two hours into this ordeal and her patience was already wearing thin with the good doctor.

Not only due to her respiratory actions, but she also decided that constant movement like drumming her fingers, getting up and down from the couch and pacing would somehow allow for Silva's speedy capture.

How the hell did Booth deal with her during stakeouts?

"Dr.Brennan?" She put down her book, “How are you holding up?" Not that she didn't already have an idea.

Brennan hesitated for a moment before leaning back on the couch, a loud breath escaping her lips. "I'm fine it's just.....I'm a little concerned for Hodgins, Angela...."her gaze flicked away from Cam's before continuing,"...and Booth."

Cam nodded, “You shouldn't worry. I'm sure they are all perfectly safe Brennan. Angela and Hodgins can entertain themselves...."

"You mean sex," she interrupted, the suggestion not at all facetious.

"Not exactly what I was going for," Cam mused, “But I can see where you would come to that conclusion."

They laughed half-heartedly before Brennan's eyes stared directly into Cam’s, “What about Booth? I find he is very impatient in situations like this."

"Huh....that is a major understatement." she scoffed, earning a peculiar look from Brennan. "Look....," Cam moved to sit beside her on the couch.

"This isn't just another case; this is our lives...your life in critical danger. In these kinds of situations, Booth, he kind of...."she tried to find the right word,"....changes."

"Changes?" Brennan asked her curiosity peaked.

"He becomes very introspective and intense, reverting back to his sniper training. Once you do something like that for so long, it never really goes away. So I doubt he will be of any good company. As a matter of fact he is probably bugging the hell out of the Marshalls, looking over their shoulders and double checking every move they make."

Brennan was quiet for a moment as she pondered what Cam said.

"What are you thinking?" Cam wasn't sure if she liked the look on Brennan's face. She looked as if she was about to cry and she was not sure how to handle that.

She clasped her hands in front of her, “Every time I here you talk about Booth, or whenever you and him are together, I feel like..."she hesitated causing Cam to spur her on.

"Feel like what?"

"It’s irrational I know...but I feel like I don't really know him at all." The sadness in her voice was apparent.

Cam smiled none-the less causing Brennan's brow to crease in confusion, “Do you find that amusing?"

"Yes...because that is exactly the same way I feel when I am around Booth and you."
L_BionicWoman
L_BionicWoman
Squint
Squint

Back to top Go down

Post by jb Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:38 am

i love this story I love you !! hope for next chapter soon! bounce
jb
jb
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 44
Say What You Want : fish love decoration!
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by jagglebells Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:15 am

I am in love with this story. I hope you continue soon, and that Brennan and Booth at least get to have some interaction in the future. After all... how long can they obey the rules and stay away from each other? Update soon!

jagglebells
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

The Body Under Guard (starts K+ shifts to M)!Now Complete! Empty Gotta love this

Post by Magic Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:24 pm

I was hopping I could go to where you left off, but I know how hard that is. I just moved my stories to another board too. The other was just too much to deal with and I got tired of it. I'm glad I found you (simple google search), now I can keep up on one of my favorites.

Don't want to ask any questions here about later chapters lat might spoil the fun. I just can't wait for it all to unfold again. study

Magic

Magic

Number of posts : 1
Say What You Want : I have been writing Bones fiction for about 6 months now, but other fiction for longer. I have been in another forum, but of late been very discouraged. I came here to find a favorite story and found some of my favorite authors.

So I guess I'll be staying.
Registration date : 2009-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by newhaven5 Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:25 am

OMG i just read the whole thing over at the BY, and I just wanted let you know how amazing it is!! I cant wait until you are all caught up here!!
newhaven5
newhaven5
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 99
Say What You Want : I would like for Bones and Booth to get over themselves and get together. Obviously!
Registration date : 2009-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jagglebells Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:04 am

Can someone give me a link to it for the BY?

jagglebells
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonesbabe Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:18 am

Oh...yes can we plz have a link....i love this story!

Bonesbabe
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by L_BionicWoman Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Here is the link for the BY : [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Sorry for the delay on chapters. I live with my grandfather and he has been complaining about how much time I spend on the computer, so he's been pretty restrictive. But I promise to have all the previous ones posted this week and new ones starting either Sunday or Monday.

Angela shuffled out of the bathroom and stood in the hallway, observing everything before her. It had all happened so fast and now that the only thing they could do was sit and wait, she took the time to process the scene.

Ha! She mused to herself, she was beginning to sound like Brennan.

She shook her head as she watched Hodgins snoring lightly on the couch. Conspiracies and danger abounds....Jack Hodgins sleeps.

On the other side of the room the two male Marshalls, Devlin and Reid sat in front of the TV. watching the Dukes of Hazzard...figures. Angela rolled her eyes.

Her attention then turned to Booth and her eyes flashed seeing Agent Fallon sitting beside him flipping through magazines and making idle conversation.

Booth seemed more interested in the magazine but it didn't go unnoticed that Fallon paid no attention to his disinterest.

It also didn't stop her from brushing his shoulder with her hand, and flipping her hair subtly, splashing quiet giggles in between words. Since Brennan wasn't around to tell the bimbo off, Angela plucked on her bitchy shoes and strode casually over to them.

Both occupants turned to look at her as she "innocently" inserted herself in the middle of them by sitting to Booth's utter surprise...on his lap.

"Um Angela?" Booth froze awkwardly at her use of him as a chair,“What are you doing?"

She rested her arm around his neck, along his shoulders, giving Fallon her best pageant smile as she did so, “Just blame the celibacy thing." she responded flippantly.

Booth nodded wide-eyed, while he tried to figure out where to place his hands.

Angela looked at the obviously suspicious Fallon.

"Are you two..." Fallon's finger flipped between the two setting off a horde of protests.

"No!" Booth blurted shaking his head. “We are just friends and coworkers."

"Psshh," Angela swiped her hand," No Agent Studly here belongs to Brennan." she leaned into Fallon bringing her voice lower, “They are like EPIC in the "meant to be together" department. And who could blame them....Brennan is a genius, 3 doctorates, 3 black belts and 1 hunting license that I am aware of."

Fallon visibly gulped, while Booth remained dead silent. Angela steepled her fingers mentally, her task easier then expected.
Once Fallon got a clue and decided to join her compatriots watching T.V., Angela moved from Booth's lap to the chair which had been so speedily vacated.

Booth eyed her suspiciously, “Angela just because I am a little preoccupied with this whole situation does not mean I can't spot a setup when I see one."

She shrugged, “Just doing my best friend duties. Seeing as Brennan can't be here to be all territorial herself."

"Angela." his tone warned of his constant reluctance to discuss Brennan with her.

She shook her head having none of it, “Listen Booth....you and I have been unspoken partners in crime with Bren since the very start, so whether you want to hear it or not, I've earned this."

His silence was the go ahead, “I know that both of you are holding back for your own specific reasons.."Booth opened his mouth to respond but she halted him with her hand up,"...I get it...believe me. I know why and it is completely legitimate on both sides. But if you just talked to each other and I mean really talked....."

A loud crash outside muted her words, Booth pulled Angela to her feet quickly and rushed her and a groggy from sleep Hodgins behind the couch. The crash had come from the left side of the house, opposite where they hid.

The Marshalls pulled out their weapons and everything seemed still, until another, quieter crash followed. Fallon motioned one of her agents with her out the front door and Devlin out the back.

"Stay here," she ordered to Booth before closing the door behind her. Immediately Booth stood up and hurried out of his suit jacket, then began undoing his tie.

"Booth, what are you doing?" Hodgins looked on along with Angela in confusion as Booth remained silent and continued to undress, yanking off his dress shirt.

The reason for his spontaneous undress became clear as Booth stripped away a white band from his torso catching a 9mm handgun that had been hidden in it.

Flicking the safety off, his gaze met the wide-eyed stares of Angela and Hodgins, one word his only explanation, “Sniper."

Suddenly 5 shots rang out from the exterior of the house causing Angela to shriek.

"Move!" Booth grabbed both of their arms guiding them down the hall and pushing them into a closet. "Do not come out until I tell you." They nodded obviously frightened, “What about you?" Angela grabbed his wrist.

He gripped her hand in assurance, “I’ll be fine," before nodding to Hodgins, closing the door and bathing them in darkness.

Crouching behind the doorway of a bathroom, he could see the closet where Angela and Hodgins hid, as well as both exit and entrance.

Sweat beaded on Booth's forehead as he waited with steel control for signs of life from outside of the safe house

He aimed his suppressor at the front door as muffled voices and a wiggling brass handle signaled someone's presence. None of the voices were female, immediately letting Booth know that the worst had happened. These were not friendlies about to enter.

The door creaked open slowly as the shadows of night cloaked Booth from their sights. A man came in low and stepped to the left, gun at the ready as another man followed high, stepping to the right.

Both men were Hispanic, sporting military style haircuts, with deceivingly casual clothing on despite their obvious intentions.

Keeping his breath as silent as possible, Booth watched them circle the large living room checking nefarious doors.

Angela and Hodgins clutched each other inside the closet as they heard the slamming and rustling consistent with a search. Angela tried to hold back any sound as tears streamed down her cheeks, fear overwhelming her. Out of nowhere a sneeze from Hodgins pierced the silent air.

Booth realized something was wrong as the two men automatically descended on the exact location of his friends. Lining up his shot as he had done so many times before he took a deep breath.

Two shots were all it took as the assassins crumpled to the floor, their head wounds coating the carpet with blood.

Exiting his crouched position, he fought the dark feeling that began to bloom deep down inside as he rushed over to the closet, willfully ignoring the bodies that lay on either side.

"Its okay," he spoke across the wood barrier reassuring the occupants. “I’m going to open the door, but I want you to close your eyes."

He understood that they were in the business of death, but he didn't want to chance any more psychological damage with such fresh bodies.

When he opened the door, it almost snapped his armored facade seeing one of their hands covering their eyes, while the others were locked together.

Booth reached out and gently grasped Angela's arm causing her to flinch before relaxing at his familiar touch.

"Okay, Hodgins keep close to Angela and I will lead you out."

"Why are you making us close our eyes? Where are the Marshalls?" Hodgins tripped slightly on the carpet as he followed blindly.

Booth stopped at the front door and leaned out cautiously keeping his gun at the ready before. "I don't know where the Marshalls are." He avoided the first question noticeably and half lied about the second. He had a rather solid suspicion of what had happened to them and as he led them around the side to the vehicle, they were confirmed.
He stopped abruptly, a mix of horror and anger coursing through him as all three agents were carelessly fallen by the foundation, fatal gun shot wounds visible.

"Oh God!" Booth turned to see Angela's hand fly to cover her own horrified gasp. Her gaze rested on Fallon particularly before she turned into Hodgins chest, burying herself in the comfort of his arms.

He wrapped his arms around her, gazing at the bodies of the people who were hired to protect them in shock.

Their actual protector watched them sympathetically for a moment before leaning down and pulling the car keys from Devlin's pocket. "I'll get our stuff," his stiff gaze grabbed Hodgins' eyes, “Get in the car and stay down."

Angela turned back to Booth before getting into the SUV. "Booth...." he faced her once again,” How did they find us so quickly?"

His jaw clenched, “I’m not sure Ange...but I am sure as hell going to find out."

After throwing the bags in the back of the car, he jumped into the driver seat. A vibration in his back pocket put him on high alert. Opening the pay as you go phone that he purchased right before going into custody, the text message made his blood run cold.

B: 911

"Angela!" He handed the laptop that lay in the center console back to her, “I need you to trace the location of a phone number."

Booth parked the car with a sharp jolt in front of the house that Angela had identified as the second safe house.

Not knowing the severity of the situation inside and refusing to risk anyone else's life, he turned to Hodgins and Angela, “I’m going to keep the car running. Don't get out." His steely expression gave no room for argument as he slipped stealthily out of the car and into the shadows.

“Oh God….” Brennan frantically pressed her hands to the gunshot wound that marred Cam’s hip. Blood soaked the white button up shirt that she wore.

“Don’t worry,” Cam replied breathless, hissing at the painful burn the 9mm round brought. “It’s nothing fatal…I just….ah.”
Brennan winced sympathetically. ”Sorry,” the pressure of her hands caused more pain despite its necessary placement.

She looked over the back of the couch, one hand continuing pressure on Cam’s wound and the other clutching her massive gun.

Brennan cursed herself for not buying a more compact one after the fiasco last Halloween. The intruder that shot Cam and another man lay hunched over on the ground, blood pooling around them.

“Where the hell did the Marshals go?”

It was a rhetorical question. All three had left in order to make one last perimeter check and they hadn’t been gone more then 10 minutes before two unknown males entered the
house.

Both women jumped up immediately from the couch, Cam pulling a weapon out of nowhere and getting three rounds off before being shot herself.

“Where did you get that gun from?” Brennan asked, ducking back to her.

“I could ask you the same thing.” She nodded to the behemoth that rested in Brennan’s hand.
“Booth always says that you can never be too prepared.” She answered.

Cam’s mouth hitched in a small smile,”Hmm, well he should be here soon, depending on how far away the other safe house is.” Again her teeth gritted in pain.

Brennan’s brow furrowed in confusion, “What?”

Cam rolled a little causing the cell phone to slide out of her pocket, “Great minds think alike.”

Suddenly the front door swung open, the women went on alert, Brennan raising her gun, before breathing a sigh of relief at the familiar face that appeared.

The look of utter shock on his face struck Brennan oddly. Cam began to pull herself up, so Brennan bent sideways to help, bracing Cam with her own body. “How is it that Silva’s men found us so fast?” Brennan’s question was answered when their concentration returned to Agent Frost, eyes widened at the barrel of a gun.

“For crying out loud, this inside job crap is really getting old.” Cam hung her head in a huff before both women drew their own weapons.

“What…”Frost stepped back visibly confused, “Neither of you had clearance for a weapon.”

“Ex cop.” Cam explained, wincing as she shrugged. Despite the pain from the gunshot wound, and the fact that they were officially in a stand-off with someone who was supposed to be protecting them, Cam’s brain was frantically trying to maneuver a way out of this without getting her or Brennan killed.

“I saw what Silva did to those women…”Brennan’s throat caught at the memory, “I couldn’t take any chances.”

“Well you’ll find out soon enough what he had in store for you.” He began to circle, causing Cam to lean on Brennan as she led them in the opposite direction, gripping her gun tighter.

“I’d say you’re the one with bad odds,” Cam pointed out, eyeing the door as what appeared to be vehicle headlights shut off down the street.

They flinched as he let off a round into the wall right beside them, his amusement apparent. “I’m pretty sure that I am a better shot then you two. That and” he gestured to Cam’s wound, “that makes the odds turn slightly more to my favor.”

“Try me on for size,” when Booth’s figure appeared in the doorway, gun in hand, everything seemed to speed up and slow down at the same time.

Frost’s head turned, immediately caught off guard. Brennan pushed Cam down to the ground, avoiding any stray fire, while Booth placed an expertly aimed bullet between the rogue Marshal’s throat. As he crumpled to the ground, grasping at his neck, Booth rushed to the women.

A split second moment passed between Brennan and Booth before they turned their attention to Cam, the amount of blood soaking her shirt and the area around her alarming them.

Angela burst from the vehicle as Booth appeared, carrying Cam in his arms. Brennan followed close behind with their belongings.

“Oh God…Cam.” She reached the trio, her eyes widening as she watched Booth gingerly place the injured pathologist into the backseat of the SUV.

“What happened?” Hodgins turned away from the steering wheel, a slight quiver in his voice at the sight of their fearless leader looking pale and bloodied.

“We’ll explain later, just drive.” Booth ordered him as Angela situated herself in the passenger seat, and Brennan knelt down to examine Cam’s wound.

“Where do you want me to….”

“Just drive Jack,” Hodgins faced the road once again, his expression strained, pulling into the road, as Cam, Angela and Brennan just stared at Booth. His use of Hodgins’ first name raised a red flag in their minds.

After a beat, they focused back on the problem at hand.

“The bullet doesn’t look to have hit any organs,” Brennan observed, pulling up the hem of Cam’s shirt.

“If it had…I wouldn’t be conscious.” Cam said breathlessly.

Angela passed back a first aid kit from the glove compartment to Booth, “Here. This might help.”

“If we don’t remove the bullet and close the wound, an infection is highly likely.” Brennan said this to no one in particular as she took the kit and inspected its contents.

Once the bullet was out and the wound had been thoroughly cleaned, she began to rummage through the kit again. “What else do you need Bones?”

The familiar sound of her nickname from his lips seemed to calm her immediately. When she looked up, their eyes met seemingly for the first time in forever. “I need a bag for the round and something to create an airtight closure of the wound.”

He nodded reaching over both women and into his duffel, pulling out a smaller, olive colored toiletry bag. Opening this bag he took put scissors, fishing line, a plastic baggie and needles.

Brennan and Cam’s eyebrows raised in question, “Survival kit.”

Brennan took the objects without question. First placing the round into the evidence bag and then lined all the other things up to begin the mini operation.

“Wait a second,” Cam shifted anxiously,”Brennan, have you done this before?”

“Once.” She answered, as if that was all the qualification needed.

Cam looked to Booth pleadingly. “Here Bones…let me see those.” He took the tools from her hands, causing her to stutter in confusion.

“Move over to that side,” he scooted around her, allowing her to sit with Cam’s head in her lap. Then he knelt by her side, making his own observation.

“Cam, I’m going to have to open your shirt higher,” His eyes met hers asking cautiously for permission.

She nodded joking, “Nothing you haven’t seen before.”

Booth’s gaze flicked to Brennan momentarily, but her focus had shifted to the top of Cam’s head.

“Okay, we don’t have anything to numb the pain.”

“Just do it Seeley, it’s better then the alternative.”

With that confirmation, he pulled open the buttons of her shirt, exposing her stomach further and now blood red stained white bra. Then carefully, he threaded the needle through the thin wire.

Cam braced for the pain, clutching Brennan’s hand. The entire car seemed to take one simultaneous deep breath as the needle neared her olive skin.

Streetlights passed through the tinted windows of the SUV as Hodgins continued to drive not knowing where they would end up. His eyelids were heavy, the fatigue evident on his drawn face. But he dare not turn back and ask Booth to pull into a hotel or something.

A soft pressure to his forearm and a look to his right reminded him that Angela was at his side and fully aware of how tired he was. She gave him a comforting smile that in itself expressed how exhausted and worried she was.

Angela's gaze broke almost regretfully from Hodgin's blue eyes and focused on the sight behind them through the rearview mirror.

Cam the poor thing laid passed out, head resting on Brennan's lap as she sweetly stroked her hair. Angela knew that Cam was a strong women, but she had no idea how strong.

With no pain medication or anesthesia any grown man would have been screaming in pain, but not Cam. She gripped Brennan's hand and gritted her teeth, tears streaking her face, not one sound of distress passed her lips though.

And Brennan had sat with her like they had been best friends for years. Almost in a motherly manner, she had stroked her hair, spoke to her softly reassuring that it would be over soon and gripped her hand despite the cramping that must have persisted from Cam's firm grasp.

Angela hoped that the motivation wasn't guilt. Even though she wouldn't admit it, she knew that Brennan was harboring a great amount of it for all of this and Cam getting hurt in her rational mind had to be all of her fault as well.

This worried Angela immensely. But the person that created the most uneasiness was Booth. None of them, besides Cam knew that he had the skill to sew an open gunshot wound.

It shouldn't have been a surprise with his military background, but seeing that side of him was a rarity. It was impressive of course, but his entire demeanor since all of this had happened had changed all too dramatically.

He sat in the second row of seats, seemingly wide awake, staring out the window. But he wasn't looking at the lights, buildings and flora passing them by. He was completely in his own head and with Booth, that wasn't good.

The sharp shooting, dodging bullets, and securing the safety of his people could only be wreaking mental and emotional havoc. For the sake of keeping them alive this was negligible, but in the personal sense it was dangerous.

"We're almost out of gas," Hodgins whisper broke Angela out of her reverie.

"Booth..." she began carefully, his intense gaze immediately reacting to her call, “We need to stop at a gas station."

"Make sure you stop at one with a payphone."

Hodgins took the first exit off of the interstate and pulled into a Shell gas station. He put the car into park beside the gas pump and turned in his seat waiting for instructions that were sure to come.

On cue Booth stood up opening the SUV door and facing its exhausted occupant’s. "Hodgins, you get the gas and don't use credit. Cash only. I need to make a phone call.”

As he turned to leave Brennan called out, “Booth!"

He turned back abruptly, “Your shirt."

Booth looked down as she motioned and realized that his white dress shirt was stained with Cam's blood, as were his hands. Another look to Brennan and the state of her blue blouse and hands were the same.

He unbuttoned his shirt and tossed it in one of the garbage cans, “Come on Bones, we'll get cleaned up."

Hodgins hopped out of the car and went to fill the car up as Brennan gently extracted herself from the car seat, laying Cam's sleeping head down carefully.

Angela exited the car, stretching her legs wearily before returning but instead jumping into the back seat to check on Cam.

Booth and Brennan walked silently side by side into the station.

Air-conditioning blasted their fatigued frames as they surveyed the rows of various snack food, drinks and the usual convenient store items.
Booth's hand rested underneath her elbow steering her to where he spotted the restroom. Brennan glanced down at his hand, then at his face.

His jaw seemed permanently clenched, while his eyes danced from windows to the door, to the curious cashier that appeared to understand that any staring would not be tolerated.
"Booth....Booth."

His attention snapped back to search her blue eyes,"Yeah."

"Can I have my arm back?" They both looked down at her elbow still in her grasp and he took it back as if shocked by static. "Sorry."

They went into their separate restrooms.

A few minutes later Booth exited the bathroom, clean but no less burdened. The door to the other restroom that Brennan entered was ajar. Panic immediately swept over him. Yanking the door open, his breath was flushed from his body....it was empty.

"Bones!" Booth ran to the door, his eyes scanning the parking lot fearfully.

"I'm right here Booth." Swinging around at the sound of her voice, he let out a deep exhale in relief. She had crouched down to get water from a fridge, the shelves hiding her from view.

He approached her, “Don’t do that again."

"Do what?" She crouched once again, surveying the store's selection of ice cream for Cam. Oblivious to the fear that she had created.
"Don't disappear like that."

"Booth," she picked up Marshmallow ice cream made a face then replaced it, “The teleportation of atoms is based solely in theory at this point."

He rolled his eyes dramatically. All this and she still insists on correcting him with her literal explanations.

Cradling her supply, Brennan stood up wobbling slightly. Booth reached out and grasped her hips to keep her steady.

The sudden movement elicited a sharp intake of breath from Brennan. "Thanks," she managed to croak, looking over her shoulder to his broad frame.

But his hands stayed resting at her sides. And as she tried to figure out what exactly he was doing, Booth stepped closer to her, his grip strengthening. He got so close she could feel his breath on her ear and cheek.For a split second she could have sworn his gaze flicked to her lips.

"Please try not to hurt yourself. You're very valuable." Then he was gone, making his way to the check out counter and the heat that had previously pulsed through her body under his touch left as feverishly as it had come, leaving her speechless.

"Bones! Chop, chop lets go." He watched her sheepishly approach the counter, laying down her armful of food.

He realized that not only were they in a very dangerous situation with Silva and his goons, but he and Brennan were playing their own dangerous cat and mouse game that had the potential of stinging both of them.

But he couldn't help his reactions to her. It took all his strength to not add a "to me" at the end of his tease. Your very valuable to me. He had to stay focused, he couldn't let his head be clouded.

After they made their purchase, they headed outside, Booth turned to Brennan grasping her shoulder,"I need to make a phone call. I'll meet you back at the car."

"Who are you calling?" He hadn't realized she was still behind him until he had the pay phone receiver to his ear.

"Jeez Bones." He began to scold her but the sound of someone picking up the phone on the other end echoed. "Reggie....it's Booth."
Brennan could hear the faint buzzing of a voice on the phone, but the words were indecipherable.

"Yeah, I need a car and a place....umm" he looked around for anything identifiable,"about 20 minutes from your place.....okay, but I want you to realize the danger before you help us Reg.......okay..yes...I'll be there in a bit. Thanks." He hung up the phone, not bothering to take the unused dime from the change slot.

Instead he lead Brennan towards the car, his hand noticeably absent from her lower back, resting on her shoulder instead.

Angela and Hodgins looked up from their seats in the car questioningly.

"What's going on?" Angela asked, grabbing a bag of food from Brennan.

"We have to get rid of this car." Booth answered hopping into the driver's seat. The trio glanced at each other, before wordlessly complying with a nod from Brennan.

Shutting the doors, Brennan passed out the food they had purchased before sitting back with Cam who was beginning to come to, while Hodgins and Angela sat together.

L_BionicWoman
L_BionicWoman
Squint
Squint

Back to top Go down

Post by jagglebells Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:40 pm

Wow. Can I just say that I cannot wait to read the new installments for this story. I just finished reading it over at the BY, and I have to know what happens next!!

jagglebells
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:12 pm

This is an incredibly intense story, and I'm loving it - then again I've always been partial to stories where Booth's skills come to the fore.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Laffers18 Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:17 am

Yay, have read it in the BY. Can't wait for you to catch up here!!
Laffers18
Laffers18
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next