Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6x01 ~ The Mastodon in the Room ~ SHOW DISCUSSION

+51
Matthie
adbyadby
aardvark508
future_anthro
jonezn4Bones
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
Blue_Ink
Pat
AmandaFriend
flyersfan35
i_heart_bones
howie
joybrennan
Kasper
bella
Fi1975
empiricist
NY2KS
geraghtyvl
Cassiopeia
ReginaPhalange
andreana22
MI_Bonesgirl
MoonlightGardenias
lancelot
Ankuuh
DoctorB
Brain&Heart
recoveringbonesaddict
bones fan 99
royaldinerlurker
treble21
SJB
phoebsfan
crzy4bones
tinkrella
Lorna Doone
Lo
iheartbooth
SnoopGirl
dreamerktm411
jro54
CanadianBones
HermioneGirl101
Miller259
katharine
bailey
dawnsfire
bugaboo628
gordongordonfan
THX1138
55 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

6x01 ~ The Mastodon in the Room ~ SHOW DISCUSSION - Page 11 Empty Re: 6x01 ~ The Mastodon in the Room ~ SHOW DISCUSSION

Post by adbyadby Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:59 pm

lancelot wrote:Ah, While I'll agree she didn't curtly turn him down, I don't think she said, "I'm not good enough"...and I don't think he agreed that she's not good enough. She said "I don't have an open heart like you". That in Brennan's mind is not a value judgement, it's a fact. Brennan doesn't place value on that, we do. What she was saying is..."I will hurt you". I think she was being compassionate. I think she is still struggling with whether or not it's logical to "be in love".

I think those types of scene are typical between men and women when it's the man with this point of view but here it is the women. We're assuming she didn't really mean what she said - she meant something else. But I think she meant exactly what she said.

Now here's the yucky part. After he says Ok we can still be partners she goes on to hurt him by saying she doesn't think she can do that anymore and needs a LONG break. So, she does what she was warning him she'd do. She hurts him.

ok mmm i agree to most of this but ...... i do not believe that Brennan ran away from Booth. They ran from each other how awful for Brennan that Booth thought she made up her mind without talking to him. They were both holding the other back as neither wanted to leave the other behind or be the one left behind. Another thing about the 100th, Brennan says she cant change and she doesn't know how. Booth then agrees to this.......... the point i am trying to get across is that they have serious COMMUNICATION issues when it comes to each other

adbyadby
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-09-01

Back to top Go down

6x01 ~ The Mastodon in the Room ~ SHOW DISCUSSION - Page 11 Empty Re: 6x01 ~ The Mastodon in the Room ~ SHOW DISCUSSION

Post by lancelot Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:16 pm

They were both holding the other back as neither wanted to leave the other behind or be the one left behind.

That's the truth. I sort of wish (from a writing standpoint) one of them just clearly made the decision to go. I think that was kind of a cop out on the writers and weird for the audience to understand - I shouldn't generalize like that. It was hard for ME to understand...and they're still arguing about who did what.

lancelot
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2010-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by royaldinerlurker Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:12 am

I think they both took a chance to run away from a difficult situation and I guess that scene was a written that way for a reason - so it wasn't totally clear cut.

I do believe that Bones was trying not to hurt Booth and she really doesn't think she can give him what he wants. But that's what we see.

Booth? I think he is just going on what he has been told - he thinks: she didn't want to give it a go, she doesn't love me but doesn't want to hurt me. But she says she still wants to work with me. Then she decides she is not sure she wants to work with me anymore after all and shortly afterwards departs for a year. During this year she does not even attempt to contact me. Even when she comes back she says she would rather leave (me) again but for the good of the group she will stay.

If I was Booth, I would think - she doesn't love me and I don't really seem all that important to her as a friend or partner either so I am going to try to move on and be happy.

I am not on either one's side but I think Booth's reaction is completely understandable.

royaldinerlurker

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaMarshall Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:58 am

adbyadby wrote:
100% agree Joy i am so sick if Booth lovers and yes you know who you are just having a go at Brennan for no reason and please dont start saying i am a Booth hater because i am not if you read my review you would see that im in this for the both of them B AND B, and sorry did we forget that Booth mmmm might have slept with Brennans Boss but some how this is ok and hang of there was Tesser and want there was Rebecca, but wait theres more here comes Hanna FFS they BOTH not just Booth not just Brennan can sleep with who they like and they have so please dont give me this crap about Brennan sleeping with other men while Booth was all alone and been walked over.

Since I have been accused of being both a Booth lover (don't I wish) and Brennan hater, let me chime in here. First, I don't hate Brennan and I could care less about which one of them has slept with the most others. Also, I consider myself a non-shipper not an anti-shipper. I really don't care whether or not they consummate their relationship.

I get irritated with both characters but more so with Brennan because she has been too disrespectful of Booth as a friend and working partner. In past seasons, she continuously insulted, interrupted and competed with him beyond the degree to which it could be considered cute, flirtatious or even simply attention-seeking behavior. It also irritates me that Booth keeps taking what Brennan dishes out. I keep wanting him to go all Angelus on her every once in awhile.

I just enjoy watching characters I like do interesting things and Bones is slipping in those two areas. Relationship angst is not interesting to me AND it usually has a negative effect on characters -- just like in real life, which if I am watching Bones I am trying to escape!

AmandaMarshall
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by crzy4bones Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:18 am

AmandaMarshall wrote:
I get irritated with both characters but more so with Brennan because she has been too disrespectful of Booth as a friend and working partner. In past seasons, she continuously insulted, interrupted and competed with him beyond the degree to which it could be considered cute, flirtatious or even simply attention-seeking behavior. It also irritates me that Booth keeps taking what Brennan dishes out. I keep wanting him to go all Angelus on her every once in awhile.

I know....I have been trying to decide whether Booth is either a saint for putting up with the way she treats him, or has serious self-esteem issues because he lets her treat him like a doormat, or is SOOO in love with her that he just overlooks the way she treats him. I don't know many people who would put up with that kind of treatment from a work partner, let alone one that is supposed to be a friend. Maybe that is why we have seen the change in Booth this season...he knows that he doesn't stand a chance of being anything more than just a work partner with her and is acting accordingly.

ROFL about your Angelus comment...

crzy4bones
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by lancelot Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:27 am

Yep, i think they took his need to accommodate her WAY too far. It makes him seem weak. I like the season 6 Booth so far.

lancelot
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2010-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:48 am

Brennan competes with Booth. confused I would say she's very literal, has some of the worst communication skills ever written, and can be really clueless. Competes with him? She's got him on as much of a pedastal as he has her. They're both a bit loco that way.

(Incidentally, Booth's communcation skills have gotten pretty bad over the last couple of years. Writing just basically sucks all around. Mad )
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1532
Say What You Want : I like to see the roller-coaster before I get on it. I mean, how many loops are we talking here?
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:57 am

joybrennan wrote:Brennan competes with Booth. confused I would say she's very literal, has some of the worst communication skills ever written, and can be really clueless. Competes with him? She's got him on as much of a pedastal as he has her. They're both a bit loco that way.

(Incidentally, Booth's communication skills have gotten pretty bad over the last couple of years. Writing just basically sucks all around. Mad )
It really has declined markedly. I know I draw fire for being so critical of the show at times, but I was actually very, very generous in my praise of this episode given the huge plot holes, mistakes, and the sheer amount of intellectual contortion required to accept some of the crap being shoveled. AND before one more person gives me the "It's just a Television Show" line of defense, let me point out that any TV show requires some suspension of disbelief for it to be enjoyable, but there are times, more frequently than not, where BONES doesn't require a suspension of disbelief as much as it requires one to completely disengage those portions of the brain where higher reasoning takes place.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaMarshall Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:15 am

crzy4bones wrote:
AmandaMarshall wrote:

I know....I have been trying to decide whether Booth is either a saint for putting up with the way she treats him, or has serious self-esteem issues because he lets her treat him like a doormat, or is SOOO in love with her that he just overlooks the way she treats him. I don't know many people who would put up with that kind of treatment from a work partner, let alone one that is supposed to be a friend. Maybe that is why we have seen the change in Booth this season...he knows that he doesn't stand a chance of being anything more than just a work partner with her and is acting accordingly.

ROFL about your Angelus comment...

Booth definitely has a lot of his own psychology as well. B&B may be one of those doomed couples who may love each other but are not really good for one another.

Like I said, I do not like watching relationship angst. I much prefer interesting cases; friendly, good-natured characters and witty humor.

AmandaMarshall
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaMarshall Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:18 am

joybrennan wrote:Brennan competes with Booth. confused I would say she's very literal, has some of the worst communication skills ever written, and can be really clueless. Competes with him? She's got him on as much of a pedastal as he has her. They're both a bit loco that way.

(Incidentally, Booth's communcation skills have gotten pretty bad over the last couple of years. Writing just basically sucks all around. Mad )

Yes. Brennan competes with Booth. That was addressed very directly by Gordon Gordon/Stephen Fry in Priest in the Churchyard.

Agree writing has gotten really sucky.

AmandaMarshall
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaMarshall Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:19 am

THX1138 wrote:

(Incidentally, Booth's communication skills have gotten pretty bad over the last couple of years. Writing just basically sucks all around. Mad )
It really has declined markedly. I know I draw fire for being so critical of the show at times, but I was actually very, very generous in my praise of this episode given the huge plot holes, mistakes, and the sheer amount of intellectual contortion required to accept some of the crap being shoveled. AND before one more person gives me the "It's just a Television Show" line of defense, let me point out that any TV show requires some suspension of disbelief for it to be enjoyable, but there are times, more frequently than not, where BONES doesn't require a suspension of disbelief as much as it requires one to completely disengage those portions of the brain where higher reasoning takes place.

king RM

Amen.

AmandaMarshall
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by G Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:24 am

I just watched the ep. I'm late to the party, and I'm not going to read back 18 pages, but I loved it.
"Welcome back Bones"
"Welcome back Booth"

Yay!! They're back!
G
G
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 8770
Say What You Want : Vizzini: I can't compete with you physically, and you're no match for my brains.
Man in Black: You're that smart?
Vizzini: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?
Man in Black: Yes.
Vizzini: Morons.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:34 am

G wrote:I just watched the ep. I'm late to the party, and I'm not going to read back 18 pages, but I loved it.
"Welcome back Bones"
"Welcome back Booth"

Yay!! They're back!

you loved it?? Well surely you must be wrong Madam, cause about 14 of these 18 pages is all about how horrible it was, and how the writing sucks. Wink

personally I didn't think it was that bad, i had a couple of issues but nothing major.
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by G Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:43 am

treble21 wrote:
G wrote:I just watched the ep. I'm late to the party, and I'm not going to read back 18 pages, but I loved it.
"Welcome back Bones"
"Welcome back Booth"

Yay!! They're back!

you loved it?? Well surely you must be wrong Madam, cause about 14 of these 18 pages is all about how horrible it was, and how the writing sucks. Wink

personally I didn't think it was that bad, i had a couple of issues but nothing major.
One of the reasons I loved it was that it seemed that all the weird tension was gone from late last season. The characters seemed more like themselves, but older and wiser. Like the wounds have healed and old hurts are just scars. And Booth is totally pretending to be "moved on". He's so not. It's setting up something big for this season, but then I am the eternal optimist and I'm just enjoying the story how it plays out. However they choose to write it. I don't care. I just love Bones. I really do. I love it so much that I am willing to overlook slight errors because I love the characters, and this episode made me laugh. 4 times out loud.
And the Booth ass shot. Woo! hahaha He's still got it.
G
G
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Say What You Want : Vizzini: I can't compete with you physically, and you're no match for my brains.
Vizzini: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:45 am

G wrote:
treble21 wrote:
"Welcome back Bones"
"Welcome back Booth"

Yay!! They're back!

One of the reasons I loved it was that it seemed that all the weird tension was gone from late last season. The characters seemed more like themselves, but older and wiser. Like the wounds have healed and old hurts are just scars. And Booth is totally pretending to be "moved on". He's so not. It's setting up something big for this season, but then I am the eternal optimist and I'm just enjoying the story how it plays out. However they choose to write it. I don't care. I just love Bones. I really do. I love it so much that I am willing to overlook slight errors because I love the characters, and this episode made me laugh. 4 times out loud.

I don't think he'll ever lose it LOL
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by G Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:48 am

treble21 wrote:
G wrote:
treble21 wrote:
"Welcome back Bones"
"Welcome back Booth"

Yay!! They're back!

I hope not. Those assets will never depreciate. lol
G
G
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:57 am

treble21 wrote:
"Welcome back Bones"
"Welcome back Booth"

Yay!! They're back!

Oh now let's not exaggerate there Treb, there's at least four pages in the middle there where we rag on the show as a whole for it's continued degeneration into mediocrity.

You know I actually liked the episode too, and I was pretty generous in my review of it. The thing is I've come to terms with the fact that the writing is just going to remain substandard, that Hart simply doesn't care enough about his own show to put any real effort into correcting the mistakes that keep piling up each episode and drive so many of us nuts (Again, Booth went into the Army in the finale, but he's a contractor in the premier).

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by G Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:00 am

If you let the mistakes drive you crazy. They will. If you ignore them, they cease to exist. Such is the joy of escapism. Very Happy
G
G
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by G Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:01 am

Do I dare go read the Inkslinger? Wink
G
G
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:11 am

G wrote:If you let the mistakes drive you crazy. They will. If you ignore them, they cease to exist. Such is the joy of escapism. Very Happy
I've no issues with escapism, but if you want to see a western, you buy tickets to a western, you get your popcorn (extra butter) and coke, sit down, get comfortable, and about 10 minutes into the movie it's clear someone's decided that they didn't want to write a western, and it'd be easier to just adapt a discarded script from "Sex in the City", add some cows in the background and put the men in chaps and call it a western, well, that's no longer escapism to me.

I can forgive a lot, and believe me to watch Bones every week I do, but I can't ignore the second rate scripts they give us week after week. The killer here is that if the talent in front of the camera wasn't as good as it is, even the folks who routinely defend the show would be howling for changes because the only thing that makes it watchable to me anymore is just how good the cast really is. Emily, David, Tamara, Michaela, TJ, they're all so damned good that it makes even the lackluster effort we're getting now pretty damned enjoyable and fun.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:12 am

G wrote:Do I dare go read the Inkslinger? Wink
yeah, heck, give it a shot. Even ToZ said I'd toned my criticism down from last seasons. I'm trying a new approach, I'm not going to watch the show sober anymore. Deaden the pain centers and suddenly it's just that much more enjoyable!

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:17 am

THX1138 wrote:

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Last edited by THX1138 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed tag)
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1532
Say What You Want : I like to see the roller-coaster before I get on it. I mean, how many loops are we talking here?
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by G Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:18 am

THX1138 wrote:
G wrote:If you let the mistakes drive you crazy. They will. If you ignore them, they cease to exist. Such is the joy of escapism. Very Happy
I've no issues with escapism, but if you want to see a western, you buy tickets to a western, you get your popcorn (extra butter) and coke, sit down, get comfortable, and about 10 minutes into the movie it's clear someone's decided that they didn't want to write a western, and it'd be easier to just adapt a discarded script from "Sex in the City", add some cows in the background and put the men in chaps and call it a western, well, that's no longer escapism to me.

I can forgive a lot, and believe me to watch Bones every week I do, but I can't ignore the second rate scripts they give us week after week. The killer here is that if the talent in front of the camera wasn't as good as it is, even the folks who routinely defend the show would be howling for changes because the only thing that makes it watchable to me anymore is just how good the cast really is. Emily, David, Tamara, Michaela, TJ, they're all so damned good that it makes even the lackluster effort we're getting now pretty damned enjoyable and fun.

king RM
I do see your point. Maybe I just don't see the glaring errors that you speak of. Maybe I don't want to see them. I don't know. But the characters do carry this show, and for me, it's still enough to love it. Did I mention that it made me laugh? Even if they were bad jokes, they still made me laugh. Smile
G
G
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by crzy4bones Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:19 am

treble21 wrote:
G wrote:And the Booth ass shot. Woo! hahaha He's still got it.

As long as that knee injury doesn't flare up on him like it did in S5 Angel and he gets all chunky again. LOL! ah..who the heck am I kidding..he still looked good. S6 Booth is looking good. Is it my imagination or are the suits a bit more fitted on him this season then they have been in the past? But thanks Ian for the gratuitous Booth butt shot Smile

crzy4bones
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by G Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:24 am

THX1138 wrote:
G wrote:Do I dare go read the Inkslinger? Wink
yeah, heck, give it a shot. Even ToZ said I'd toned my criticism down from last seasons. I'm trying a new approach, I'm not going to watch the show sober anymore. Deaden the pain centers and suddenly it's just that much more enjoyable!

king RM
Are you as passionate about other shows as much as Bones? Or is it your favourite? Cause if it's your favourite, even though you're dis-enchanted with it, you still make the effort to watch, and take the time to write the Inkslinger, so there must be something about it that you like right? Very Happy
G
G
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next