Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown!

+35
recoveringbonesaddict
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
SJB
flyersfan35
heirofloki
MI_Bonesgirl
crzy4bones
Lyanna Stark
a_rangergrl2
jjrobinson73
empiricist
tinkrella
Meegs82
ddc
agnerka81
treble21
anteater
BonesInOz
BrainySmurf0302
Shelly
queen bess
sera
bones206
Thnx4theGum
sadhbh
Bella Loony
A2BOREANAZ
jonezn4Bones
dawnsfire
G
SnoopGirl
RGPageantqueen
THX1138
Turi ray of sunshine
DBCrazy
39 posters

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown! - Page 3 Empty Re: The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown!

Post by dawnsfire Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:26 pm

No fear--I try hard not to. It's hard to avoid discussion of them sometimes; which is why that one sailed right past me! If I slip, though, let me know, and I will try to correct or hide it. (where's the command for the spoiler cut again?)
Rob, my King, I thought you were going to avoid spoilers! Tsk--the founder of Spoilers Anonymous fell off the wagon within 2 months. Smile

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown! - Page 3 Empty Re: The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown!

Post by DBCrazy Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:01 pm

dawnsfire wrote:No fear--I try hard not to. It's hard to avoid discussion of them sometimes; which is why that one sailed right past me! If I slip, though, let me know, and I will try to correct or hide it. (where's the command for the spoiler cut again?)
Rob, my King, I thought you were going to avoid spoilers! Tsk--the founder of Spoilers Anonymous fell off the wagon within 2 months. Smile

queen
At the end of the toolbar is an "Others" button. It's in the list that drops down.

Hehe about Spoilers Anonymous - you got him!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by sadhbh Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:23 am

Thanks for taking my comment so well Smile

I absolutely love getting the inkslingerss take on an episode and you guys set a high bar for your first week, so I am looking forward to seeing what you think of tonights eppie!
sadhbh
sadhbh
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 2966
Say What You Want : Must. Resist. Spoilers!!
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:00 pm

InkSlinger 2 - Season 5, Episode 2

Now with 100% fewer Spoilers!

The Bond in the Boot

The second episode of the season and we have to ask ourselved, was the quality of the premier a fluke? The answer is...NO! This show was even better than the first. Keep giving 'em to me like this HH, keep giving 'em to me like this and I swear all will be forgiven. With so much riding on it, since the success of the first episode meant our expectations were raised, I was relieved to find this not only eminently watchable but so thoroughly enjoyable that I decided to forgo watching Fringe tonight so I could rewatch this again right away. It was that good.

Since this is a board dominated by women and I am one of the handful of men here let me take this moment to toss out something I found particularly well done in this episode, the continuity carry over from last episode re: Booth's continued journey of self discovery, also his dealing with Brennan and the feelings he has for her. Last week I explained that Booth's monomania about solving the case was really about him proving that he belonged on the team since a man's defined by what he does. Well here's another thing, a real man's worth is also defined by what he can do. We need no more proof of that than Brennan's comment that he should have no issue fixing his plumbing since he always told her what a good handyman he was. Also the way he announced he'd 'lost' those memories dealing with his home repair skills underscores what he perceives as his incompletemess as a man. This is still very much a vulnerable Booth, something that is also evident in the closing scene when his hand rests on hers and they share their 'eyesex' moment.

So we see the continuation of our three themes: Booth loving Brennan but not sure what to do about it (the touches, the looks), Booth continuing to reclaim those lost pieces of himself, relearning lost skills and reconnecting with Brennan in the process, and finally the homage to Season One continues. In fact the S1 references were hot and heavy in this episode. The talks in the SUV that were a staple of the S1 have returned, the snappy banter and bickering has that S1 feel again and at times I felt I could be watching a long lost S1 episode. I think we're seeing that The End in the Beginning (the title, not the excerable episode itself) might have really foreshadowed the direction that HH is taking us this season, S4 was the end of jackass Booth, S5 marks a Booth reboot, the Booth we loved in the beginning.

Now on with the review...

The Case
We've got a James Bondesque mystery and let me just say as a fan of the Bond series I loved the opening sequence. We've got two vics, the first is Yuri Antonov a Russian who was a courier for a Ukraine Diamond merchant, and ended up as cat chow and the second was a CIA analyst by the name of Greg Dorit. Dorit is a wannabe agent, an analyst with dreams of grandeur who kills Antonov to steal the briefcase that is supposed to be carrying $20 million in diamonds. He in turn ends up dead in the back of the Bond car - the scene where his skin slides off his face? Nasty. The casework is good, the story is solid and enjoyable. Booth is a terrier on the hunt, tenacious in his pursuit of the truth. When he outflanks the preening arrogant jackass of a CIA Assistant Director one can't help but cheer. When he goes after him full bore we know this is old school hard ass Booth. The Squints and this week's squintern don't dissapoint and the science came at us hard and fast when the CIA tried to take over the case. Booth's hockey pep talk to Wendell was awesome if a bit o'er wrought, then again this was as much a Wendellcentric episode as it was Boothcentric - in fact this was really a mancentric episode in many respects so of course I loved it.

The Characters
There was a lot of character interaction here, a lot to build on and a lot of development that begs disection so let's get to it.

Angela - Still Angela, still the sometimes sweet, sometimes snarky demeanor artist we know and love. Her comments re:Boys and their spy fantasies, also Pussy Galore, too funny. Less the yenta with a heart of gold this time, more the empathetic friend and big sister. When she said "What? I pack my lunch" I laughed out loud, ah the good ol' Angela is back and here to stay (I hope).

Hodgins - our resident conspiracy theorist and spygeek wasn't as good as he could have been. This should have been his element but a lot of his dialogue felt tired, rehashed. Although plenty squinty he wasn't the focus of this episode, still it felt as if they could have done more with him and the "everybody poops" joke? Puhleeze.

Cam - Cam has really become the 'mom' of the Lab. We saw it somewhat in S3 and a little in S4, but we're two epis into S5 and she's two for two in taking care of her lab family. Always consistently written and abley acted by Tamara, I just love her character and tonight's episode was no exception.

Sweets - Okay, so last week Sweets was a bit of an ass - with his PET scan non-sense - but this week he seemed to tack back against his previous course and started coaching Brennan to be there for Booth. Add in his snarky back handing of the punk from State and I actually liked him this time around. Sweets is definitely living up to my prediction that he's the wild card this season, so I can't wait to see what he does next episode.

Wendell - our Squintern of the week rocked the science house and we got a little more insight into his character, he's a devout practicing Catholic - that's two for two when it comes to the men on this show I genuinely like and their being Catholic. Hmm, subtle messages there HH? And how about Wendell not only finding the cause of death but staying on mission even after he found out he was do to be fired? That's Zack levels of dedication there people.

Booth this episode was still the new Booth, though more S1 than S4 now. His affection for Brennan is still there in the little things, the touches, the sidelong looks (the closing scene was fluffy without being the wet and wild flantasy so many here had). What I loved about Booth in this episode was the naked display of his superior investigative skills, something that S4 Booth almost never exhibited. Also the hardass of S1 was back, Booth staring down the punk from the state department? Folks I'm as straight a man as you can get, hell I don't even take left turns in my car, and even I thought that was hot. Hell, a few more scenes like that and we'll have a full scale bromance going on. I know the ladies love it when he's being all sensitive and shit, but trust me, DB is at his best when he's playing angry, not angsty. Angsty Booth seems to translate into wussy Booth, angry Booth is a freakin' beast baby! Booth staring down the punk from state, Booth taking on the Assistant Director of the CIA, Booth coaching Wendell and pushing him to deliver, Booth threatening the Ukrainian hottie? That's the Booth I know, that's the Booth I want to have a beer with man! I can feel the man-crush coming on! DB's portrayal of Booth was complex and rewarding, he managed to be vulnerable with Brennan and yet a hard charging ass kicker on the case, this is the man who took on a United States Senator in S1 just to prove a point. He may not have 100% of his memories but the rest of him? BOOTH IS BACK BABY!

Brennan was magnificent and warm and robotic and cold...wait, what? Yeah, that's right, robotic and cold - don't deny it, all y'all were thinking that too, right? Except I don't think she was that robotic or cold. Her colder moments were really in character for her. She was dealing with difficult news (the loss of Wendell) and for most of the show she didn't have Booth to guide her through it (and Angela was noticeably missing at times), so she tried to fall back on her rationalizing/compartmentalizing methods but guess what? She doesn't do so well with that anymore. Every scene with Wendell you could hear the catch in her throat, the emotion just beneath the surface. Her words seemed cold, rational, detached, and yet Wendell saw past them and Booth would have too. Her comment to Wendell that he was one of the best interns she ever had the pleasure to work with was a marked point of departure for her. S1 Brennan would never had said that, hell S4 Brennan would never have said that, but S5 Brennan does. She's hurt that she's losing him, and he's really the first intern since Zack that she's shown that kind of attachment to - something we first saw in FitI. One can't help but wonder if her bond with Wendell is stronger since he's the most Boothlike of the interns.

Speaking of Booth, Brennan's interactions with Booth was touching even as it was evident that she's trying to put some distance between them to save her heart. Her concern that he'd hurt himself speaks volumes as to her emotional investment in him, her willingness to learn how to do plumbing speaks to her desire for her Booth to come back to her, and the fact that she bought him the book and then asked for the money ($6.42), well, that's just funny. Emily's portrayal is as complex, subtle, and engaging as David's Booth. The woman has range and the ability to act using pure physicality that one sees only rarely. As this season develops it'll be interesting to see how she and Booth evolve. Will they become more couply only to see her withdraw when things get too serious? Will she continue to put distance between them even as she tries to reconnect with her Booth? No one yet knows, but I can't see this season ending now without them together in some way shape or form.

The Intangibles
David was amazing and so captivating to watch as he strutted his alpha-male self across the screen but it was Emily Deschanel who truly transcended her role. In some scenes she seemed badly used while in others she dominated the screen, yet in every scene you couldn't help but be drawn to her. Perhaps it's the woman's singluar beauty, perhaps it's simply her magnetic personality, but my eyes found her first everytime Brennan was in the scene. Kudos to the wardrobe folks for at least managing to dress her, Tamara and Michaela correctly once more. I'd love to see them get Booth to wear something other than bedroom slippers and Wendell - wtf was up with that shirt? The kid is poor, not homeless and certainly not a hillbilly, so where the hell did that come from? *shakes head* Someone needs to just whack them in the back of the head until they get a freakin' clue as to how to dress men.

Scene of Note
The diner scene with Brennan, Booth, and Sweets worked on so many levels. Have I mentioned how hot Em looked with the Veronica Lake hairdoo? As if I didn't have reason enough to love her *sigh, swoon* OMG that was smokin' hotness itself! The creamy skin, exposed neck, piercing blue eyes, auburn hair, that's fantasy material for about a week...oh, yeah, and um, the other guys were there too. Anyway, Booth and Brennan's interaction was so S1 meets S3 and the back and forth between Booth and Sweets was classic. The little duck really is becoming a part of the flock, and the dialogue going back and forth with Sweets offering Brennan his advice even though she didn't ask for it and actually said no when asked, was golden. I finally feel like he fits now, and isn't just a square peg being shoved into a round hole like last season.

Quotable Quotes
Brennan: I try not to get attached to my assistants. I've learned that even the best ones dissappoint.

State Punk: You're really going to trust something this important with a kid?
Sweets: Me? At least I tuck myself in at night.

Brennan: Even with all the financial and intellectual contradictions I still feel close to you.
Booth: Yeah, because you know none of that really matters anyway.
Brennan: Sometimes, looking at it through your eyes, I believe that.
Audience: Kiss her you idiot!

Fun Facts
Brennan's latest book sold 630,000 copies after release and was on the NYT Best Seller list for 12 weeks.

Brennan got a Rolex from her publisher for her efforts, another homage moment to Season One when she got a car from her Publisher.

The Russian courier wasn't dead when his wrist was cut off. Arterial spray doesn't occur after death as there's no heart beating to pump the blood out and yet we saw at least two spurts of blood.

It is official, cat's are evil.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The GOOD - Continuity was better. Much, much better. Of course there was precious little for them to screw up this time around, then again there was precious little last week and they managed it handily. Also episodic continuity was actually very good so it's a definite uptick - am I sensing a trend here? God I hope so. I don't want to pick on them too much, let's just say 'yea continuity!' and leave it at that.

The BAD - Well here's the thing - there wasn't anything really bad except for that horrible 'Everybody poops' joke. I mean, bathroom humor HH? What's next, Booth farting in the SUV while Brennan roles down the window? Grow up man.

The UGLY - While in and of itself enjoyable the secondary plotline of Wendell's lost scholarship could have been handled better. Too many of the scenes were o'er wrought, over acted, over directed, or just over. There were a few times I actually cringed when Wendell walked on screen, I was waiting for the fake acting to rear it's head again. Note to HH - that's not how you play the comic relief man. Take a page out of Booth's playbook - go back and watch S2 and S3 again, relearn what you've forgotten about comic relief.

All in all it was the most watchable episode since Mask, and for me that's saying something. Without the inadequate continuity errors of last week the only thing keeping this from being a home run are the handful of the Wendell scholarship scenes. In short this was the second episode that not only didn't suck, it was actually good TV! Also the second episode in a freakin' row where the case was central to the show and the B&B faded into the background where it belongs, in fact this time it wasn't just the second story, it was the second of two sub-plots sharing space with the Wendell scholarship story. It is so nice to see the balance returned to the show that I make this public vow to Hart Hanson. Each and everytime you give me a show like this I'll pull one of the pins from your Vodou Doll.

For the Story Strength and Case Work I give it a solid:
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Continuity was MUCH improved, fewer gaps, no glaring cockups nets it a solid:

So for overall watchability I give it a solid:

We've got a triple with the lead-off runner threatening to steal home. If they'd just learn to pull back a little on the overacting and learn how to dress the male members of the cast we'd be close to Pujols territory.

king RM

Last edited by THX1138 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorry, but a feral tabby tried to highjack my fun fact - bugger nearly took out an eye with those claws too!)
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by Thnx4theGum Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:35 pm

Agreed. And, as a girl watching Brennan glowing under the sink, well, like you I don't swing but MAN was she HAWT!

Aggressive Booth turns me on b/c that's what a man should be dagnabit and men on TV are wusses. My hubby watches in part b/c of alpha-male Booth. The Sweets/Statey showdown was hilarious!

Now, what's w/the girly parts obsession: Pussy Galore this wk, dirty PET scan last(who hasn't had that drn lampshade ? pop up on FB?). does Bren do a vagina monologue next week?
Thnx4theGum
Thnx4theGum
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:38 pm

Oh man. I didn't get to watch it yet because I'm at a family broohaha. I wanna read, but I just can't until I see it. And I already spoiled it a little by seeing that Robert gave it such a high rating!! I'm soo excited!!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:43 pm

Thnx4theGum wrote:Agreed. And, as a girl watching Brennan glowing under the sink, well, like you I don't swing but MAN was she HAWT!
Yes, yes indeed that was. In fact the eyesex between the two of them was enough to set off the sprinklers and might I add as an aside to whoever it was in wardrobe that thought a white shirt was a good choice for Bren when the water went off - thank you.

Aggressive Booth turns me on b/c that's what a man should be dagnabit and men on TV are wusses. My hubby watches in part b/c of alpha-male Booth. The Sweets/Statey showdown was hilarious!
Exactly, Wendell and Booth are my favorite male characters, and Jack to a lesser degree, because they're real men, not emotionally in touch with their inner woman men, but real men. I can see me having a beer with them, most guys on TV drink Chardonnay.

Now, what's w/the girly parts obsession: Pussy Galore this wk, dirty PET scan last(who hasn't had that drn lampshade ? pop up on FB?). does Bren do a vagina monologue next week?
God forbid! If she does I might have to get a cup of brain bleach to get that image out of my mind. Locker room and toilet humor have their place - at the bar when the game goes to commercial. HH and company need to grow up a little there.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by bones206 Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:49 pm

I didn't get to read all of your "Bond" review, THX, but, I loved how you used the word squintern. It's my new favorite word!
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2057
Say What You Want : I want to go ride my horse. I love my horse. I want to watch the new episodes of Bones. I want to talk to my friends about Bones. But, most of friends don't watch Bones. Sad
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Thnx4theGum Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:49 pm

Booth drinks scotch... though so does Brennan Razz
Ah, what would B&B be without their ocular intercourse?
Thnx4theGum
Thnx4theGum
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:57 pm

The Bond in the Boot

How British! So we’ll have scones instead of cake. I can rustle up some tea, or perhaps the King has some decent liquor to share?

Case

Not a bad case; some twists due to the spy element, but not outstanding or even overly shocking. Frankly, I found the flash drive a little bit anti-climatic; but appreciate Booth’s comment about the importance and danger of information and other computer-based issues (could be a supervirus on there or something as well as information). I would have liked to have seen it as a Mission: Impossible episode, actually, especially with the Cold War feel (Russians, etc). Did appreciate the serious lead pointing at Rutledge, who was definitely not a sympathetic character.

Character(izations)

Let’s start with Brennan. Someone pointed out her clothes were more Emily than Brennan in Harbingers--I think the trend has continued. Almost flirty and her jewelry isn’t the chunkier stuff we’re familiar with. A sign of other things? A hint as to what’s going on in her head? She’s still her usual self in the field, at least.

Her tact levels are still variable, but for the most part, still in character. The stuff with telling Wendell about how his scholarship dried up was in a strange way reminiscent of her telling Sweets about Daisy last season. Honest if it kills them both, but with all the tact of a brick in actually saying it. She was also…odd…about the money issue, though the comment about never having to fly coach was priceless.

Booth--they aren’t harping on his recovery; it’s not ignored, but it’s not the focus (but please--enough with the clowns! I give them two more mentions, no more, for the season. C’mon, people, let’s not make that the marker for how he’s recovering!). The plumbing issue was the running gag in this episode, but no other snarkiness about his clothes or basic abilities. And despite everything else, he does keep up with what Brennan said; consider the conversation about the car running over Antonov as the prime example.

And that moment of sheer menace when that twerp from the State Dept showed up--beautiful! “You’re--old…” Mm-mmm! That’s the Booth we know and love. And nice motivation of Wendell there near the end. He’s back, baby!

Still not very in depth with the Squints. Hodgins is almost too cheerful over each new piece of information, and we see Angela and her computer--better side of the screens this time, too, I thought. The only thing that could have been awkward and was completely ignored was her comment to him about crushing hearts--I mean, it was only a year ago that she crushed his, right? Wendell--a new side to him, I thought, with all those facts at his fingertips, if not as random as Vincent, plus his close connection to his mother was reinforced. And Cam is still both going with the flow and controlling it at the same time. Over the past couple seasons, she developed a knack for that. I maintain control is needed (can we say Hodgins' experiments?), but her touch now varies, depending on the situation.

Sweets--still interfering personally, but more in tune with the rest in regards to the case itself. A huge improvement.

Random Impressions

Ew, ew, ew! The hand getting cut off (not sure the speed was accurate, and I thought the blood spurting was rather fake-looking) and the cats were probably two of the top three icky moments. The cats, though, do reflect Brennan’s comment back in Doctor in the Den about how the common house cat will eat a dead body. And I usually like cats.

Very heavy on the Bond references, of course, from the car to the paint color to the gun, plus the music. And the opening, guy waiting like that, briefcase chained to his arm--also very Bond-ish (is that the briefcase from the promo posters?). I will have you know it’s not just guys who like the spy stuff, though I’m more Mission: Impossible than James Bond for the most part. I agree with Angela about Pussy Galore. Like that’ll ever happen.

Money issues popped up several times, in different contexts. Scholarships, bagging lunches (which both Angela and Booth do), cost of a book, frozen assets… In defense of Brennan’s apparent chinchiness in regards to the scholarship, I can only think that even she has a problem assimilating that she’s worth that much money (“I don’t have to work again”). Of course, she over-thinks when she finds that book for Booth, with all those excuses about not damaging his virility. I mean, it followed all those discussions about the disparity in their respective incomes and social expectations, etc, etc, etc.

So who exactly donated enough to keep Wendell on? Brennan did some at least, judging by her swift turnaround and easy orders and that smile after, but did Hodgins dig some cash up, too? How well off is Angela--or perhaps she got her father to donate?

Excellent discussion in the car, bringing back that there is more to life than money, something all of them can get behind. As they say, “money can’t buy happiness, but it sure can make misery comfortable.”

Did anyone else catch the reference to Zack? “I try not to get attached to my assistants. I've learned that even the best ones disappoint.”

And of course the end-- Slightly disappointing in terms of all the discussion, making it a reasonable case for avoiding spoilers. It was sweet, with the touching and the talk (eyesex and of course the hand-touching and his not-quite-too-hasty pulling his hand away), and fun to see them working under the sink together. But Wet!B&B did not live up to the hype. And of course, the elephant they’re still dancing around… No secrets, indeed!

(I have officially made up my mind. Brennan knows how she feels, but is taking her cue from Booth, who just realized what’s going on in his head. He’s afraid to say anything, afraid to hurt her, and she thinks she knows what he’s thinking, but won’t push it, because he’s unconsciously giving off mixed signals.)

The Good
A clear focus on the case, plus it seemed to reflect real-world issues about clearance and intrigue. And inter-agency rivalry. “I know how to do my job.” “Then how come we found the killer and the case?” Not exactly progress between our favorite couple, but no backward steps, either.

The Bad
The Rolex was overdone, but milder than the GPS fiasco from last year. Also not sure about another obsessed woman--or making her appear obsessed, anyway. The science is there, but less extensive until the end, with Booth and Cam frantically pushing Angela (who still didn’t get much screen time doing her thing--just the results) and Wendell.

The Ugly
As noted, a couple of the special effects weren’t so special. And a few aspects were rather contrived--or they seemed so to me. Would Cam really find out about Wendell’s scholarship before he does?

I enjoyed the episode, but I liked Harbingers just a little bit more, so…

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:17 pm

dawnsfire wrote:
Character(izations)

Let’s start with Brennan. Someone pointed out her clothes were more Emily than Brennan in Harbingers--I think the trend has continued. Almost flirty and her jewelry isn’t the chunkier stuff we’re familiar with. A sign of other things? A hint as to what’s going on in her head? She’s still her usual self in the field, at least.

Her tact levels are still variable, but for the most part, still in character. The stuff with telling Wendell about how his scholarship dried up was in a strange way reminiscent of her telling Sweets about Daisy last season. Honest if it kills them both, but with all the tact of a brick in actually saying it. She was also…odd…about the money issue, though the comment about never having to fly coach was priceless.
I had the exact same thought at that moment but I'd already written so much about Bren I didn't think to include it - well played my Queen.

Booth--they aren’t harping on his recovery; it’s not ignored, but it’s not the focus (but please--enough with the clowns! I give them two more mentions, no more, for the season. C’mon, people, let’s not make that the marker for how he’s recovering!). The plumbing issue was the running gag in this episode, but no other snarkiness about his clothes or basic abilities. And despite everything else, he does keep up with what Brennan said; consider the conversation about the car running over Antonov as the prime example.
Not only does he keep up but did you catch how he saw the marks on the speedbumb and called for trace samples to be sent to the Jeffersonian? That was invesitgative chutzpah at it's best - he's definitely picked up a thing or two working with the squints.

And that moment of sheer menace when that twerp from the State Dept showed up--beautiful! “You’re--old…” Mm-mmm! That’s the Booth we know and love. And nice motivation of Wendell there near the end. He’s back, baby!
Yep, definite man-crush material and I ain't ashamed to admit it.

Ew, ew, ew! The hand getting cut off (not sure the speed was accurate, and I thought the blood spurting was rather fake-looking) and the cats were probably two of the top three icky moments. The cats, though, do reflect Brennan’s comment back in Doctor in the Den about how the common house cat will eat a dead body. And I usually like cats.
I saw the spurting blood and my first thought was 'arterial spray, he's not 100% dead yet' but my second thought was 'OMG, they've hired the Monty Python special effects wizard!' Oh, and my Queen it has beend decreed - cats are evil.

So who exactly donated enough to keep Wendell on? Brennan did some at least, judging by her swift turnaround and easy orders and that smile after, but did Hodgins dig some cash up, too? How well off is Angela--or perhaps she got her father to donate?
My bet is that Brennan, Hodgins, and Cam all three found money for Wendell - Brennan and Hodgins via their personal resources and Cam as the head of the Medico-Legal lab using her contacts.

Did anyone else catch the reference to Zack? “I try not to get attached to my assistants. I've learned that even the best ones disappoint.”
I caught it and thought it telling that she says that in reference to Wendell when she could have easily just ignored the comment or said something equally neutralizing, and yet she made a specifically oblique reference to Zack and that leads me to believe that Wendell is her hearts choice to replace him. (And I still claim it's his Boothiness).

(I have officially made up my mind. Brennan knows how she feels, but is taking her cue from Booth, who just realized what’s going on in his head. He’s afraid to say anything, afraid to hurt her, and she thinks she knows what he’s thinking, but won’t push it, because he’s unconsciously giving off mixed signals.)
Ooh, I like your answer my Queen, and I pray that thou art correct 'cause otherwise we're in for some angsty weather.

Loved your review my Queen and despite our points of agreement how interesting we have different takes on this episode relative to last weeks.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:33 pm

*inclines head regally* You are too kind, Majesty.

"Just a flesh wound" Laughing Yeah, definitely that color and consistency. Please--2 (small) spurts of rather watery-looking blood?

And I still claim it's his Boothiness
That's why I cheer for Wendell--he's a good fit, a bridge between Booth and the Squints. I did catch Booth with the speedbump--just didn't process it properly.

I am a little curious about Booth's clearance level--what was it--level 3? SSBI? Curious enough to go look it up (or as much as is public record, anyway.)

I can't help that your only experience with cats is feral ones trying to claw your eyes out, Rob; I grew up with them, and I still like them. But having all those cats stare at the camera? Inspired for the scene!
cat

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:08 pm

dawnsfire wrote:I am a little curious about Booth's clearance level--what was it--level 3? SSBI? Curious enough to go look it up (or as much as is public record, anyway.)
Level 3 is Top Secret. L1 is Confidential, L2 is Secret, and L3 is Top Secret. There's also Q clearance which is DOE specific to nuclear weapons, reactors, and incidents, and L4 which is Top Secret - Compartmentalized (also called Eyes Only). I held L2 for about eight years, getting it renewed wasn't bad but the first set of interviews was a pain in the ass. I can't imagine what the L3 is like. SSBI is a Single Scope Background Investigation clearance to allow for the investigation of any incident related to an L2 or L3 project.

king RM

My clearance was part of my job requirement since I was supporting a DOD contractor at the time.
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:19 pm

I'm impressed. No sarcasm.

According to my 1st dip into the subject, they look at your credit--yes? And I couldn't help but wonder about Booth and his gambling. Wouldn't he have trashed his credit? Maybe if everything else checks out...

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:02 pm

dawnsfire wrote:I'm impressed. No sarcasm.
Prithee my Queen, whence hast we ever resorted to such base behaviour? Oh, wait, we recall now...well, nevermind then.
According to my 1st dip into the subject, they look at your credit--yes? And I couldn't help but wonder about Booth and his gambling. Wouldn't he have trashed his credit? Maybe if everything else checks out...

queen
Speaking from my own experience they do a thorough credit search then a background and reference search. An L1 is pretty cursory, mostly computer analysis and public records searches. An L2 comes with real live Federal Agents doing interviews then if they find anything on the document check or when they do your initial history, heh, then it gets fun. You think gambling is bad (and it is) I went to highschool with two boys who's dads were in the Trupiano family and a third kid who's dad was pinched on RICO charges. Let me tell you that made for an interesting conversation with the FBI. Got even better when they found out Mom and Dad not only went to school with Tony Accardo Jr but even got invited to his wedding. Suffice to say my check was not a slam dunk. Booth, I'd say, had about as much fun with his.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:56 am

Well, I got started on the review and now I have to go back to work again! Dang it!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:15 pm

So, I finally watched the show last night and now I've finally gotten to read both your reviews. I made some notes ... not so organized but they're mine.

------------------------------------------

king RM ... a bit from your review ...

Sweets - what I've come to think of Sweets is that he just can't help himself. He sees something and he goes with it. I don't believe that he is really tacking anywhere. I know that sounds bad, but I believe it's just a sign of his immaturity, not a bad thing, just that he is still so young even if he is well-educated.

Booth -
but trust me, DB is at his best when he's playing angry, not angsty.
Oh how I soo agree with you on this. Woman in the Garden with Booth putting that gun in the guy's mouth. Con-Man in the Meth Lab with Booth hurt and turning on Brennan asking her if he's a loser? These are my easily a couple of my favorite scenes in this series.

They did overact the Wendell moments that were kind of painful to watch ... I liked the idea of it, but the execution of it was weak, I agree.

I did know that you had a thing for New Orleans and Cajun cooking, but I had no idea you played with dolls!! I could make a straight-joke, but I won't. Wink And the Pujols reference ... he only hit .333 on their last road trip with no homers. Maybe if this next episode gets a 5 for 5 then he'll start hitting some homeruns again! Yeah!! The playoffs are coming up...

And I agree with Way, "squintern" is a great word.

queen Dawn ... yours now ...

I was surprised and kind of let down by the USB drive too! I understand the enormity of information, but we've been driven to find $20,000,000 in diamonds and we get a $15 something any of us can buy at Wal-Mart! It was a let down, at least visually. But isn't that where they did the wooshy-burned in-blurred visual effect?? I'm thinking it was ... that was a nice return to a visual effect they used to do all the time. I loved that flashback.

Brennan's fashion doesn't catch my eye about it being different. Not that I disagree, I just didn't notice. I did notice Cam's dress and Angela's smock ... only because I really liked them, and Brennan's blue jacket because I kinda didn't, but otherwise I don't notice. Something nice to get a speculative character(istic) on it from your review.

I did very much enjoy the feel coming off of the money talk. They did a very nice and fun job with that.

I thought of the promo posters when I saw that briefcase too, and I totally got the reference to Zach.

Now some of my own ... Rolling Eyes

I totally enjoyed this episode. Brennan all squinty in her forensic blues. Booth allowing the CIA guy to be dominant until he shows his hand ... "old" ... at being a snotty-nosed kid. I loved the way the weight of dominance did the see-saw shift when Booth stood up and lowered him into his chair! Go Booth!!

I loved the reverence they showed at the placing of the star at the memorial wall, and Booth bowing his head. That's a nice show of respect for the victim. This is something that makes me think of David's upbringing more than it makes me think of David's acting or Bones' script writers. Man, I think I need to get rose-colored glasses for my avatar!

Some stuff I wonder ...
Why is the guy carrying something chained to his wrist protecting himself with a knife? And why does the guy that's going to have to get it away from him have to use the other guy's knife to cut his hand off?? Can anyone say "be prepared"?

You'll all have to forgive me for my ignorance (I know nothing of cats) ... but, why were the cats staring at Booth and Brennan? That one just felt like I should have figured it out, but I never did. No

Thank you both for your great reviews. I can't wait to have some time to get back and watch it again with some more ideas rattling around in my head. ^^
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:30 pm

Cats probably were staring because their meal had been interrupted; any animal would, I think. And probably part of what makes them so anathema to my partner in crime is the fact that cats don't blink much. So a cat staring can be kinda creepy in the right circumstances. cat Why cats do stare, I couldn't tell you, and I grew up with a cat in the house (2 actually, over the course of some 20-odd years).

I tend to notice clothes (thanks to blc's Character Building) and jewelry (from my personal inclinations--always looking for a new idea. If I ever finish my Anthropologist necklace, I may have to post a pic.)

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:07 pm

You know, maybe I should start trademarking the words I come up with...

Squintern™

Of course I'll give my Queen and loyal Chamberlain free reign to use them as they see fit.

Anyway, I'd have to agree Sherry, the scene with them during the star ceremony was very well done, Booth's reverence for those fallen in service to our country was evident and so in keeping with his character it was a nice return to who he really is (as well as a throwback to S1 again).

Now the whys and wherefores you mentioned, I assumed the courier was carrying a knife because it would be easily concealable and a firearm may not have been something he'd want to risk entering the country with - diplomatic immunity or not it would have drawn unwanted attention to him had he been caught with a gun on a plane. Now the Bond wannabe probably didn't anticipate needing a knife, so he was just lucky the courier carried one with him.

DBCrazy wrote:You'll all have to forgive me for my ignorance (I know nothing of cats) ... but, why were the cats staring at Booth and Brennan? That one just felt like I should have figured it out, but I never did. No
With all respect due my fair Queen, the reason the cats were staring at B&B? They're EVIL. Cats are not to be trusted, totally evil critters. If it weren't for sweet and sour chicken we'd have no use for them at all.

king RM

And before you people start just stop and think about the last time you say a stray cat anywhere near a chinese restaurant...I thought so.
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:40 pm

^^ Eewwww!

BTW, do I need to be careful and use the TM when I use your new word??
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:11 pm

I second the Ewww!

Well, Rob, you are entitled to your opinion, but my mother and I, not to mention both of my sisters, some of my friends, an ex-boyfriend, and some other assorted relatives will just have to disagree about the basic nature of cats. And the 1st person who brings up the Siamese cats from Lady & the Tramp gets smacked! cat

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:17 pm

Does anyone remember those Siamese cats that danced across ... what was it? a piano? I'm kinda fuzzy on that one. Didn't they belong to that Cruella d'Whats'erName??
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:01 pm

DBCrazy wrote:BTW, do I need to be careful and use the TM when I use your new word??
Nope, I'm pretty free with occasional use, if folks start to abuse it though I'll have to require the TM be included. Very Happy

dawnsfire wrote:Well, Rob, you are entitled to your opinion, but my mother and I, not to mention both of my sisters, some of my friends, an ex-boyfriend, and some other assorted relatives will just have to disagree about the basic nature of cats. And the 1st person who brings up the Siamese cats from Lady & the Tramp gets smacked! cat
Siamese cats from Lady and the Tramp? You mean Si and Am? *waits for the smack* Interesting thing about them, while Walt himself was a fascist and supporter of Hitler right up until the war, he was also rather xenophobic. Si and Am were written as unsympathetic characters to be representative of the "yellow peril" hysteria of the times, a case of cartoon racial politics.

I actually had a Siamese cat growing up, it was named Ming-ling and it was actually a very sweet cat, although I do recall a handful of times tried to smother me by sleeping on my face - I'm sure the fact that kitty kind was trying to take me out at the tender age of 8 has nothing to do with my aversion to the demon spawn.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:08 pm

Consider the smacks administered.

We had a Siamese, too. Chi Chi was fairly quiet (for a Siamese) and definitely well-behaved. Never slept on anyone's head that I'm aware of and only reacted with tooth and claw when some child pulled her tail. If Ming-ling tried to take you out, Rob, should we ask what you did to her? (him?)

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:01 pm

dawnsfire wrote:Consider the smacks administered.

We had a Siamese, too. Chi Chi was fairly quiet (for a Siamese) and definitely well-behaved. Never slept on anyone's head that I'm aware of and only reacted with tooth and claw when some child pulled her tail. If Ming-ling tried to take you out, Rob, should we ask what you did to her? (him?)

queen
Actually Ming-ling was a nice cat, came when I called her, liked getting her belly rubbed, could actually perform some tricks including shaking paws, and I was always nice to her. But when I went to sleep she'd start out curled up at my feet and during the night work her way up. Sometimes I woke up with her on my chest, usually she'd curl up next to my head, but every once and a while right on my head. Never knew why, and when my mom developed allergies to cat danded we had to give her away so I'm sure she went off to smother someone else. Smile

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next