Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Inkslingers - The Season 6 Showdown!

+15
G
CanadianBones
lancelot
himbeer29
bonesfan158
joybrennan
oldie
the beaver1965
tinkrella
dawnsfire
katharine
SnoopGirl
DBCrazy
ToZiKa
THX1138
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Inkslingers - The Season 6 Showdown! Empty The Inkslingers - The Season 6 Showdown!

Post by THX1138 Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:57 pm

Well folks the Inkslingers are BACK!!!
My Queen queen (dawnsfire ) and myself (THX1138 aka king RM) are back to sling some Ink.

The Inkslinger concept is sort of a nod to the gunslingers of the Old West, where the Queen and I take off our crowns and get down and dirty in reviewing each episode of Bones as it airs.

Now don't expect us to always agree or disagree, we won't, but you can expect some detailed analysis and, from the Queen, one heck of an eye for the little things that make watching Bones so much fun.

So here's hoping we have a wonderful new season of Bones for us all to watch, and a lot of controversy for the two of us to sling the ink over. Oh, and don't you all be strangers! We write these reviews for all y'all and we're looking for each and every one of you to comment, kibitz, and complain so we can tell you when you're right or wrong...or maybe that's just me.

Anyway, see you all later tonight! Let's GET IT ON!

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

The Inkslingers - The Season 6 Showdown! Empty Re: The Inkslingers - The Season 6 Showdown!

Post by ToZiKa Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:15 am

I will give this another go, but if you keep being all pessimistic I'll only read Dawn's posts!
So try having a couple beers before you start typing Wink

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 37397
Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

The Inkslingers - The Season 6 Showdown! Empty Re: The Inkslingers - The Season 6 Showdown!

Post by THX1138 Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:19 am

*Pffft* You act as if all of my reviews were downers! So not true, I had some episodes I really, really liked. Heck, I positively loved Night at the Bones museum! Still, knocking back a few couldn't hurt. Especially tonight. Thanks for the input ToZ, I think that'll be my new standard for reviewing!

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:19 am

The day of reckoning has arrived! Can't wait to dig into what you two have to say!!

Very Happy
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopGirl Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:40 am

I will give this another go, but if you keep being all pessimistic I'll only read Dawn's posts!
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

SnoopGirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9669
Say What You Want : Snoop I love you DB's Smile Smile

Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:56 am

SnoopGirl wrote:
Hmm, okay since there's a consensus around here I'm going to watch tonights episode drinking...aw crap. I can't because of my recovery from surgery. Hey, I'll watch it on 10mg of Oxycodone! How's that?

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:27 am

THX1138 wrote:
SnoopGirl wrote:
Hmm, okay since there's a consensus around here I'm going to watch tonights episode drinking...aw crap. I can't because of my recovery from surgery. Hey, I'll watch it on 10mg of Oxycodone! How's that?

king RM
acceptable
I don't mind if you hate an episode or two
I won't even mind if you hate most of them
but please don't hate them before you watch

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!

Back to top Go down

Post by katharine Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:07 am

ToZiKa wrote:
THX1138 wrote:
SnoopGirl wrote:

king RM
acceptable

I like that, don't hate an episode before you watch. Words to live by. You might fear it, but how can you hate it. Good thoughts.

katharine
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopGirl Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:26 am

THX1138 wrote:
SnoopGirl wrote:

king RM
Hope you are recovering well .. [Only admins are allowed to see this image]

SnoopGirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9669
Say What You Want : Snoop I love you DB's Smile Smile

Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:33 am

katharine wrote:
ToZiKa wrote:
THX1138 wrote:
SnoopGirl wrote:

king RM
acceptable

I like that, don't hate an episode before you watch. Words to live by. You might fear it, but how can you hate it. Good thoughts.
Well my motto for this season is WBYW - Watch Before You Wig. I figure that way we're all good.

@Snoop Thanks, I'm doing pretty good. Still got an open wound on my leg with a Wound Vac attached to it, but it's healing up pretty well. I'll know more tomorrow when I see the surgeon again.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:10 pm

InkSlinger - Season 6, Episode 1

The Mastodon in the Room

The first episode of the sixth season is, in some ways, a reboot of the entire series. Booth is back from Afghanistan but he's also involved in a relationship with a blond. Brennan is again the overly technical, socially awkward, sexy as hell, forensic anthropologist (okay, no change there), and for good measure we've got Wendell as her assistant, Caroline playing the puppet master, Cam playing the damsel in distress, Sweets pretending he's Sigmund Freud, Daisy pretending she's relevant, and Hodgins & Angela being, well, Hodgins & Angela - him the man who ultimately provides the key clues with his wicker particulate powers and her the woman who's artistic eyes and computer like brain make her so much more than just a forensic artist.

The Case revolves around a missing (and presumed dead) child that is about to get Cam fired. Seems Cam is in trouble because she's been raising questions about veterans coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan having brain damage. TPTB want her shut up so they plan on using the case of missing child Logan Bartlett to shut her up. After a particularly disastrous interview with overzealous TV reporter Marlowe Becker, it becomes clear that Cam's days are numbered unless Caroline can get the band back together and save her ass. Using some sort of power heretofore unknown on Earth, Caroline manages to get everyone back to DC to save Cam's job. She even manages to convince the US Army to let Booth go. Once the team is back it takes them no time at all to prove that the remains on Cam's slab aren't at all the ones belonging to Logan Bartlett, but instead belong to another child who is quickly ID'd as being from North Korea. Booth & Brennan are able to quickly solve the case, accidental choking, and determine that the mother buried her child with love and care, but never told the authorities because she was afraid of them. As if that wasn't enough, B&B go on, at Booth's insistence, to solve the original missing child case, nailing the estranged father for it by catching him in the act. The episode ends with our girl Brennan using her new found emotional awareness to make the connection to everything that's happened and determine that it's really Caroline that keeps them all functioning as a team, that she's the lynch pin that holds them all together.

The Characters
There was a lot of character interaction here, a lot to build on and a lot of development that begs dissection so let's get to it.

Angela - Angie being pregnant was no big surprise, her character seeming more grounded, definitely happier, that was a surprise. When we last saw her in S5 she wasn't exactly a happy camper, at least not until she and Hodgins got married. This Angela is more "earth mother" than "flighty artist". Another nice pickup was seeing Angela use her forensic artist skills to help ID the child's skeleton, noting the rounded orbital sockets and how the facial indicators would seem to indicate asian ethnicity. That kind of skill we haven't seen her display since "The Intern in the Incinerator".

Hodgins - The bug man has mad skills, no doubt. Without the resources he had at the Jeffersonian, working with antiquated equipment and sharing a workspace, he still manages to be da' man and get them the key pieces of information they need, like the wooden splinters that pierced the hyoid, or the origin of the blanket, calculating the time of death, he was in his element. Also nice to see Hodgins the married man and soon to be father, it suits him. I've always liked Hodgins but seeing this Hodgins, well, I just like him a little bit more.

Cam - No longer working at the Jeffersonian, but holding the position of Lead Federal coroner. This was an interesting Cam. She's good at her job, she knows she's good at her job, but she also knows, now more than ever, just how much she needs Hodgins and Brennan. It was nice to see her combative side again, and even better for her to unload on Brennan for being so selfish and leaving her and the rest of them from the Jeffersonian, but it was nicer still at the end when she acknowledged that the squints were her real friends.

Sweets - THE BEARD MUST GO! And Sweets playing in a piano bar? *shudder* too weird for words. Worse, Sweets, after standing tall and telling Daisy that no, he wasn't going to knuckle under and take her back after the way she dumped him, falls off the wagon with one single kiss. Oh Sweets, say it ain't so! I mean, it's bad enough that HH is using Sweets/Daisy as a pathetic surrogate for Booth/Brennan, does he have to mock us so with their relationship too?!

Daisy Wick - Well it's nice to see that Daisy discovered decaf, it'd be nicer to see that she hadn't remained a complete goof. The whole stripping down to her scivies? Not nearly as impressive as seeing Angela tear her shirt open in the S1 Pilot. That said I found it interesting that Daisy was able to admit something that Brennan knows but still hasn't admitted - that she was wrong to quit on Sweets, and that there are things more important than the science, like love. *sigh* now if we could just find a downtown bus for her to stand in front of I'd be oh, so much happier.

Wendell Bray - Working as a mechanic seems to suit Wendell, but what I liked most about him in this episode was the natural ease he exhibited as he went back to working side by side with Brennan. He hadn't been a Forensic Anthropologist for nearly seven months but he falls back in with her and he just 'clicks' right away. Also interesting to see that Wendell's skills are still there even if his knowledge has gotten rusty. I think I'm going to love having Wendell as Brennan's new assistant. No more squinterns, long live Wendell!

Caroline - Ah, our Lynch Pin! Caroline was amazing in this episode, I mean who know that an AUSA could get the US Army to let someone out of their service contract just like that? That's pull baby, not to mention a gross exageration of an AUSA's real power but I digress. I mean the whole "Booth goes to Afghanistan" storyline was crap anyway so her getting him back from there is fine by me.

Booth - Hmm, I'd say Booth came back defeated and cynical so, yeah, Booth 2.5 is in the house. Will he stay that way? Will we ever get the old Booth back, I dunno, maybe. Juries out on that one really, but suffice to say that this Booth isn't going to be the happy go lucky S1 Booth we were all hoping for, more like S5 Booth on Xanax. How bad is it? His speech to Sweets, advising him to move on and give himself a chance at happiness? Yeah, that's good advice really - for Sweets. The shame of it all is that Booth is telling Sweets that to try and convince himself that dating Hannah is the right thing to do. That Brennan won't return his love and there's no point in being miserable, so he might as well fake being happy with blondie locks in hopes of someday actually forgetting the auburn hair and blue eyes of the one woman he truly loves.

Now this doesn't mean that Booth is all bad, no sirree. He's back to being man of action Booth (that part of S5 Booth I liked), and more than that he's also back to being our Paladin. They've solved the case and he should be happy, but instead Booth decides to push it and go after the missing kid too. Maybe, just maybe, with this reboot that's a sign that our Booth is coming back to his roots. One can only hope.

Brennan - Ah Brennan, our beautiful, brilliant, sexy scientist. It's good to see her again. While I could have done without the slapstick vogue-ing in the opening I've got to admit I did warm instantly to seeing our girl kicking some guerrilla ass. That said there are a few things that upset me about her time away in Maluku - she never once emailed anyone because why? It's not like we don't have the technology for that to happen and she's got tons of money so there's no barrier there. And she never once used the sat phone to keep in touch with Booth or her friends? My God, the woman really is pushing it when it comes to being an emotionally stunted woman-child, isn't she? *sighs* Well so much for all those fics that have her and Booth growing closer over the months by trading emails and phone calls.

Still it was nice to see our girl didn't come back totally clueless. She did show some new understanding of her emotions and it was pretty clear that she's accepted that she's in love with Booth, especially when she was talking to Angela in the diner. The fact that Brennan didn't answer Angela's question directly but instead simply commented that "Booth fell in love in Afghanistan" is proof enough for me that she's come to accept that she truly does love him. Unfortunately it also tells me that she's going to punish herself now for rejecting him all those months ago and she'll simply take up his role of loving Booth from afar, never really being happy without him but, at the same time, wishing him all the happiness in the world because that's the way true love works. It sucks big donkey dick really. Worse than that it's all self inflicted because if she'd kept in touch with him blondie locks would never have made an impression. Then again I also think Brennan really expected him to wait for her, and knowing that he didn't, well now she's going to take Angela's words to heart and prepare for a life of loneliness. This could be one long angsty season folks.

The Intangibles
Okay, someone's got to say it but I LOVE BRENNAN'S HAIR! That said, they don't have showers in Maluku? She couldn't bath somewhere along the way? She shows up with 48 hour funk (at best) for her reunion with Booth? Yeesh. Gimmee a break, there's eco-warrior Brennan then there's allergic to soap Brennan. The first is sexy, the second is...okay, still sexy but then I'm a sick, sick man.

Scene of Note
Brennan kicking guerrilla ass! I mean, say what you want but our girl swinging that shovel, kicking ass and punching out armed thugs? Totally hot.

Brennan and Angela at the diner. Not since the first season has Brennan been so openly affectionate toward Angela, not just affectionate but noting that she and Angela are, for all intent and purpose, sisters. The scene as they hug in genuine affection toward one another as Brennan congratulates Angela for being pregnant is one that really does show just how far she's come along. It also showed how clueless Angela can sometimes be. Brennan is clearly not fine with Booth dating Hannah and it shows, but Angela is so blinded by to the changes in Brennan that she doesn't hesitate to utter the horrid comment "It means you're going to die loveless and alone."

The reunion scene was touching and, at the same time, disappointing. The lead-in and hug were nice but when Brennan finds out about Hannah it gets ugly. First of all Booth is waaay to smarmy about showing off his new girlfriend. Second Brennan is obviously very disappointed and he roles right past that like it's nothing and that's not Booth. Seriously, when she tries to draw a parallel to herself and Hannah by point out that he once arrested her just like he arrested Hannah, well my heart was crushed just a little bit.

Booth and Brennan in the park rescuing Logan Bartlett. Booth tackling the bad guy, totally kick ass. Brennan being all maternal and going for the little Logan, totally hot. Our team is back, that's what that scene tells me. Lets hope it stays that way.

Quotable Quotes
Brennan: I find it interesting that I'm only afraid of snakes when Booth is around to be jumped upon.

Brennan: Why are you in your underwear?
Daisy: You said look like a woman. Should I take off more?

Brennan: Was it dangerous in Afghanistan?
Booth: Nah, what I did was mostly administrative.
Brennan: Because you seem really heavily armed in this photograph.

Sweets: Hey, uh, Booth, can I ask you a personal question?
Booth: Oh, that depends. About you or me?
Sweets: Me.
Booth: Shoot.
Sweets: Okay, Daisy just wants to pickup where we left off and I don't know whether to...
Booth: Move on.
Sweets: Yeah, like you did?
Booth: You know what? You asked my opinion right? I'm going to give it to you, you listening? Give yourself a chance to be happy, move on.
Sweets: And that worked for you?
Booth: Yeah, it did...it did.

Angela: Sweetie...Sweetie can I get some attention over here?
Brennan: Yeah, uh, yes it's very good to see you because you are my best friend and I love you like a sister. Uh, I assume, not having an actual sister as a control.

Angela: It means you're going to die loveless and alone.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The GOOD - Brennan kicking ass, Booth kicking ass, hell it's just good to see them back and kicking ass!

The BAD - I'm gonna bight on the whole "Mastodon in the Room" shtick. I mean, we all know the "Mastodon in the Room" is the unresolved feelings that Booth and Brennan have for one another being complicated by Booth's new relationship with Hannah. So the whole mastodon as elephant joke is just...bad.

The UGLY - Sweets beard. It's gotta go, please someone hold him down and shave him!

For the Story Strength and the fact that they got the band back together, well, maybe I'm getting soft but I give it a solid three out of five skulls:

Better than average, but not as good as it could have been.

king RM

THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:53 pm

The Mastodon in the Room

I entered S6 with some trepidation, but the premiere was a pleasant surprise. I’ve looked at some of the spoilers, though the actual discussions are far too much, far... too divisive for me to read (especially after BitE). Also feel a little rusty, since I haven’t done this for a while. But I know you’ll forgive me, so let’s get on with it!

Case

We open with a montage of scenes set 7 months after the big separation. Cam in a different lab looking at a small skeleton, Brennan and Daisy in Maluku, Booth in Afghanistan (so sorry they cut the Hodgins & Angela in Paris, though--that would have been great! Ange sketching Hodgins in very, very little… *sigh*), then Cam and Caroline in a TV studio. Cam wants to talk about brain damage in veterans (which could possibly—my own speculation, of course—be a good ongoing thread), but the press wants to crucify her over the delay in ID’ing the skeleton (there’s a missing child in the DC area and it's been all over the news); according to Caroline, the PTB are letting it happen—no, encouraging it to keep her from talking about the brain damage. A conspiracy worthy of Hodgins himself. Caroline makes calls and brings everyone back in to save her.

They all do, and we have a brief touching (but not romantic) scene between B&B and find out she’s not been in touch with anyone for 7 months and is not at all prepared for the changes, though she does seem to roll with the punches pretty well. Oh, yeah, and Booth is in a new relationship with a journalist…minor detail.

Brennan brings Wendell in as he’s the only squintern in the area still, at her own expense, and they all go to work in Cam’s new lab, which, frankly, sucks. As do her associates. For their nameless and faceless sakes, I do hope Hodgins and Brennan never meet them! In a shake (three jiffies and a cha-cha), they have determined the skeleton does not belong to the missing boy, Logan Bartlett, but rather a boy slightly older, probably of Asian descent, somewhat malnourished, who has been dead longer than Logan’s been missing.

Logan’s case is transferred to Missing Persons while they focus on the dead child. Cam’s job and reputation is saved for the moment. In their usual fashion, they refine the corporeal details with the environmental ones—something cut down to create a shroud, wrists and ankles tied together as apparently some cultures do, add in a damaged sternum and a hole in the hyoid, and come up with a probable accidental death, maybe an illegal (though that really isn’t discussed too much) immigrant from Korea. Booth and Brennan go talk to industries that make fabric goods and hire Koreans and find an old man and his granddaughter. She had had a son, whom she said she sent back to Korea. Of course she hadn’t. The boy had swallowed a wooden screw that had come loose on his rib, causing the hole—and the damage to the sternum was from an attempt at CPR.

That decided—and the fate of the adults is left up in the air, though Booth thinks Caroline won’t charge them—Booth, Brennan, and Cam discuss Logan. The father was apparently telling the truth about not killing him, but something sets Booth off and he investigates further. Not sure what the new car has to do with it, but it turns out the father had kidnapped the boy to hurt his ex-wife. Of course Booth arrests him (after a truly excellent tackle).

Along the way, the team begins to reacquaint themselves with each other and we find out where some of the missing cast members are. Clark’s in Chicago, Arastoo changed majors, Fisher’s in a mental institution (!), Vincent went on Jeopardy and won a ton of money (good place for him). Daisy wants to take a break (having discovered that archeological and anthropological digs are not constantly exciting), and Wendell lost his fellowship when Brennan left and is trying to earn money to continue under another noted professor in NYC. Cam’s no longer working in the Jeffersonian and is the Federal Medical Examiner. Angela and Hodgins are blissfully happy and she’s just discovered she’s pregnant. Parker seems glad his dad’s home (perhaps he regrets encouraging Booth to leave?), and Sweets was on sabbatical, playing the piano in a mall.

Characters

Brennan—where to start? There have been some emotional changes there, though most of her basic social awkwardness and tendency to cut to the chase is still in place. She was perfect with little Logan in the playground, gave Wendell a rather surprising compliment about recognizing the condition without faulting him for forgetting its name. Just what they’ve been trying to teach her for the last few years! Her trying to act all feminine in Maluku was terrible, though. And of course the look on her face when Booth told her about Hannah. She squashed it down fast, but she was not happy. And again in the diner with Angela, she was just a little too quick to deny any feelings for Booth. (and she had to be lying about just dreaming about working with him) My guess? She’s finally caught up with her own reality and found it just slid out of her fingers. The question is: will she accept it because Booth’s happy and that’s what she wants for him, or will she fight for him?
And she hasn’t changed so much that she doesn’t take refuge automatically in her beloved anthropology, either.
I love when they let her fight like that! cheers (Daisy was of no help, but that wasn’t really a surprise.) I do wonder if she misidentified the guerillas’ tribe or if they were renegades. And she doesn’t lack for bravery, considering her swipe at Caroline’s weight. Far, far braver than I would be!

Booth—OK, the other half of the center, the yang to her yin. Cop Booth and Introspective Booth are very much in place (and looking good—damn, those suits on him? *licks lips* Yes, please, more of those) He seems to have moved on emotionally, much to our sorrow, and seems quite happy about Hannah, with that dopey grin on his face as he shows her picture around. His advice to Sweets seeming reinforces that impression. But it’s B&B, so I’m not holding my breath for Hannah’s longevity. (again, not a spoiler. I know nothink! as the man said). I could have done without the down-on-Brennan jokes he was making with Caroline, though. But he still cares for her; I doubt all of what he was hiding under the word “administrative” was for his peace of mind or security. He definitely wasn’t happy that she hadn’t contacted him and was somewhat relieved that he wasn’t the only one with that distinction. Maybe if they had been able to communicate he wouldn’t have gone with Hannah.
Not sure if he was babying Parker there (putting butter and syrup on the pancakes), though some of that may be forgiven considering it’s been 7 months and all since they’ve seen each other. A certain amount of that is permissible, but next time, Parker should call him on it.
Anyone catch he said “our lab”? He’s going to be all over the map this season, isn’t he? It would have been better for that to happen last season and we could have blamed his tumor/surgery for it…

Cam—wait, wait; Cam doesn’t understand politics? That should be Brennan, since it was pretty much established back in Titan that was part of the reason she was hired in the first place. And speaking of Brennan, this anger thing? Cam seemed fairly cool with her leaving in the finale. Something about doing what she had to do or some other baloney (sorry, don’t have the script or the ep in front of me). Now she’s mad about Brennan being selfish and running off so the team falls apart. It’s true that if either Booth or Brennan had stayed, the team would have, too (more Brennan IMO, since the Jeffersonian was hers, along with the squinterns), but I don’t know about blaming her for everything like that. I would like to know about her job switch…was it a temporary break from the Jeffersonian?
But I did love her speech at the end, thanking everyone, and then reminding them that she’s still the boss—just in case anyone gets any ideas. Laughing

Angela—the artist finally made it to Paris and is quite, quite happy about it. Misses it already, but is glad to be home. Her big—and to be honest, a little hackneyed—news is that she’s pregnant. Well, given their tendency to go at it like rabbits, are we really surprised? Very much like her S1-3 self, in manner and style, right down to the B&B shipping, plus with further evidence of her own particular smarts. She’s been listening to Brennan—that stuff about the shape of the optical orbits?

Hodgins—do you suppose he was really going to make the big announcement to everyone? I think they got a first-time daddy’s reaction down pretty good, though. And while they were more obvious in their disinterest, he reigned himself in from giving too much detail about the bugs and all. I think they’re a good couple now, it should continue to work out.

Sweets—lose the goatee, Sweetsie-boy, and trim the hair. Ugh. Not his look, even though it goes pretty well with the shirt and hat he wore while playing the piano. Sabbatical, hmm? He should get mad at Caroline (except who would dare) for lying to him about Booth’s PTSD. And stay aloof from Daisy, not kiss her in the Hoover where everyone from the Director on down can see them. I think his emotions there are quite justified in her case—well, except for that kiss.

Caroline—truly the lynchpin of the team. Seemed rather appreciative of Hannah’s picture, though. heybaby Or maybe that’s just my dirty mind… She’s got some pull though, if she can facilitate Booth’s permanent return. And am I the only one who thinks her interactions with Brennan are not what they used to be? It seems more flashback than S2-3, though I am at a loss as to how to describe it.

Wendell—he has a tattoo! Back of one shoulder (left?), half hidden under his shirt in the repair shop. And you could see him wrestle with his conscience when Brennan asks him what it would take, as she’s got lots of money. I suspect he reined in the worst of it. But while he may have forgotten a couple terms, his eye and perception is still sharp. Surprisingly easy-going with both Hodgins and Angela, too, which is a plus. And he deals with Brennan on a whole new level, based on his conversation when she was hiring him back.

Daisy—arrrgh. She hasn’t improved too much. While she has begun to realize she really does need to think for herself and not like her role models from time to time, she is likely to drive Sweets nuts in trying to hold onto him (which she is doing. I recognize the signs). I had thought it was interesting that she was still wearing her ring, though, considering that was a break-up in the airport.
Oh, and who brings pink underwear like that to a dig? Very Happy

Random Impressions

Opening credits don’t seem to have changed much.

Cam’s predicament reflects in some ways the opposite side of Woman in a Car, where the government was prosecuting a company for providing inadequate body armor, and the company was suspected of trying to silence the key witness.

Interesting discussion about getting involved only when there’s a dead body. Yeah, Cam’s a pathologist, and Brennan’s a forensic anthropologist. But we come back to Woman/Car and maybe Mother & Child in the Bay, where they find and save a living person.

I wish they hadn’t cut the line about the satellite phone from the sides! “I didn’t know we have a phone.” “We don’t. I do.” (or words to that effect)

And speaking of Maluku, what about the snake? I do wish they’d make up their minds on that one. She’s been perfectly calm in the presence of a snake with Booth in the room (Man in the Morgue), and freaked out completely other times. And if it’s just surprise or multiple snakes, that’s a very telling comment about her feelings about him—and how long she’s felt like that. (I can see fics all over the world being rewritten now)

At least they can hug hello, if not good bye. Rolling Eyes

So Booth arrests some of the women he’s involved with, hmmm? Think he arrested Cam, Tessa, or Rebecca? Catherine was briefly a suspect, too, come to think of it.

Are we going to see the rest of the interns at all, do you think? They’ve been rather neatly disposed of.

And the car conversation! Oh yes, they’re definitely back! I’ve missed the really easy flow of those.

Scooby reference—Buffy or Scooby Doo?

Cam’s new digs are quite the comedown, but this proves it’s the people, not the equipment that can claim the credit for all the good work that’s come out of the Jeffersonian.

And really, would they have shut down the lab altogether? There were a lot of people working there all along, after all, and they did more than just support the dream team and the FBI, after all.

Cocky is in place and all is right with the world! (I think if he ever changes that for another buckle that Hannah or someone else gives him, that would be the true warning sign. Forget the tie from last season)

Good
A good beginning. Hannah is only briefly mentioned and her picture flashed around; Brennan’s reaction falls well within her norm. Booth was absolutely hot, and the others looked pretty good, too. And they slide right back into the old ways, all of them. Maybe a little too easily, but this was their strong point in seasons past, so I’ll let it go.

Bad
The military stuff was off-kilter. No way Booth would have had his cell phone on (if he’d have even had it on him) when he was heading into a fight, especially one where a certain amount of stealth was required. What if it had gone off 10 minutes earlier? And he surely didn’t do that on stake-outs and what-not here…otherwise, he’s be a dead agent—or be decorated with a lot more scars. And then coming home like that? Not bloody likely. He might—might—have wrangled an emergency leave, but he can’t just decide he’s had enough of the job and quit. Military’s not like your standard job, after all. And would Caroline have the pull to make it happen, either? Somehow, I doubt it. No And despite the hemming and hawing he gives her, he’s already made up his mind—witness his promise to Parker in the diner about not leaving again.

Oh, and couldn’t Brennan have found time for a bath or a change of clothes flying back to DC? I think she’s wearing the same tank top when she meets Booth as she was when trying to fix the jeep.

Ugly
I don’t know if they had to replay the end of BitE—they don’t always do that, and I’m afraid it’s going to bring up a lot of the old resentments. I didn’t want to see that again, and didn’t need the reminder.

Pretty good episode—in a fit of generosity, I give it:

queen

Last edited by dawnsfire on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Well my Queen I didn't like it as much as you did, obviously, but as always I laud your eagle eye there in catching those details. Wendell's tattoo is on his right shoulder, btw.

I really think Brennan has changed more than we think, she's obviously in love with Booth but when she hears about Hannah, you can see her close down and compartmentalize. I think her behavior is symptomatic of someone who regrets her decision of seven months ago and now seeing what she's missing out on is preparing to punish herself by being the good friend and playing that role to the max. Look for her to vigorously defend Hannah, act totally supportive of Booth and her, even attempt to befriend the woman. It's just the sort of thing I'd expect since she likely believes Angela's pronouncement that she'll die alone and unloved now. Brennan will be desperate to have Booth in her life anyway she can, so she'll be the best friend and partner she can be.

Booth is totally faking it now. He's gonna fake it to make it, hoping that if he just tries hard enough Hannah can make him forget he's in love with Brennan. It's evident in his exchange with Sweets, he's so adamant that moving on is the right thing to do that he doesn't realize how unhappy he sounds even as he advises Sweets to do the same thing.

Loved your synopsis btw my Queen, it's a wonderfully detailed thing and I'm in awe of you for the simple fact that you did that all from memory, no DVR or close captioning. That's impressive.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:33 pm

So let me be the first to say that I like the new Inkslinger.

It was nice to see some of those scenes from another perspective and I think it is good that you have two very different styles of reviewing it.

I hadn't even thought of some of those things you mentioned and I'll make sure to reread this right before I watch the episode the second time.

Special thanks should go to our King for not being overly pessimistic, but still remaining the one to always point out the bad sides too. I for one wouldn't want you to become all optimistic and happy about the show, but this seems to be a good balance between finding the mistakes and bad things and still being able to enjoy the good things.

I still like the Queen better though. Razz Laughing

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:18 am

THX1138 wrote:Well my Queen I didn't like it as much as you did, obviously, but as always I laud your eagle eye there in catching those details. Wendell's tattoo is on his right shoulder, btw.

I really think Brennan has changed more than we think, she's obviously in love with Booth but when she hears about Hannah, you can see her close down and compartmentalize. I think her behavior is symptomatic of someone who regrets her decision of seven months ago and now seeing what she's missing out on is preparing to punish herself by being the good friend and playing that role to the max. Look for her to vigorously defend Hannah, act totally supportive of Booth and her, even attempt to befriend the woman. It's just the sort of thing I'd expect since she likely believes Angela's pronouncement that she'll die alone and unloved now. Brennan will be desperate to have Booth in her life anyway she can, so she'll be the best friend and partner she can be.

Booth is totally faking it now. He's gonna fake it to make it, hoping that if he just tries hard enough Hannah can make him forget he's in love with Brennan. It's evident in his exchange with Sweets, he's so adamant that moving on is the right thing to do that he doesn't realize how unhappy he sounds even as he advises Sweets to do the same thing.

Loved your synopsis btw my Queen, it's a wonderfully detailed thing and I'm in awe of you for the simple fact that you did that all from memory, no DVR or close captioning. That's impressive.

king RM

You bring up a good point about brennan now punishing herself. I hadn't thought of it that way before. It's sort of the opposite from what we learned in the 100th. Sweets told booth and brennan that they were punishing each other for missing their moment. Now, instead of punishing outwards, they are doing it inwards.

I like what you have to say about brennan probably friending hannah and acting all okay and put together. I just wonder where that is going. Will Booth realize eventually that she has changed and she's not okay? Or will booth just realize he can't really move on at all? OR....will Hannah realize that booth and brennan are fooling themselves and be the person that takes a stand and tells him how it is?

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by the beaver1965 Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:48 am

Robert, Daisy discovering DECAF is one the most clever lines that I have heard in a long time. Still LMAO!!! Welcome back. You were most certainly missed.

the beaver1965
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2009-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:49 am

Good to have the InkSlingers return. As for my own opinion of the show, I wanted to be Wow-ed last night and I wasn't. I enjoyed it, but I wasn't Wow-ed.

I hadn't caught that Brennan hadn't showered before meeting up with Booth, but some of that I think I blame on things just being unrealistic sometimes. I mean, truly, do you get a phone call out in the middle of nowhere and just go jump on a plane. For that matter, if she hasn't been using her satellite phone at all in 7 months, why is she keeping it charged up and on her person!?

There were a couple things that I disagreed with both of you on and it kind of tickled me:

1) Brennan doing the girly posing then beating up the guerillas. I thought the girly posing was pretty good, after all, they value women, so it felt perfect. But beating them all up, that just seemed like Hollywood-heroism make-believe, and I rolled my eyes.

2) Sweets's sabbatical persona was pretty cool I thought. Dusty took a look at him and the quote was "Sweets is beast!" It didn't carry over so well in the Hoover, but at the piano I thought JFD has actually grown up enough to have Sweets pull it off.

As you can tell, I really did get deep.

"Smarmy" is a good word for the way it felt with Booth showing off Hannah. If he was gonna get himself a girl I'd at least figured he could find someone that at least "he believed he'd fallen in love with." This sounded Jr. High-ish. Maybe he's just got to go through the motions a while first. I don't know.

But Dawn, I was happy when you mentioned the tattoo! I caught it too, and it was gone so fast that I didn't know if I'd just had a quick hallucination or something.
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:15 am

DBCrazy wrote:

"Smarmy" is a good word for the way it felt with Booth showing off Hannah. If he was gonna get himself a girl I'd at least figured he could find someone that at least "he believed he'd fallen in love with." This sounded Jr. High-ish. Maybe he's just got to go through the motions a while first. I don't know.

Smarmy is a good word. When Booth was looking at the picture with Caroline it felt like a guy looking at a porno picture. He was objectifying Hannah as if she was a trophy he bagged while overseas. It was repulsive. Caroline's response was just as repulsive. It definitely reminded me of a boy in junior high with nothing but hormones and no heart or brain.

oldie

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:58 am

oldie wrote:
DBCrazy wrote:

Smarmy is a good word. When Booth was looking at the picture with Caroline it felt like a guy looking at a porno picture. He was objectifying Hannah as if she was a trophy he bagged while overseas. It was repulsive. Caroline's response was just as repulsive. It definitely reminded me of a boy in junior high with nothing but hormones and no heart or brain.

First of all, mi Liege anld mi Lady, thy words are well-spoken and indeed thou art scholars worthy of the lyceum itself. Very Happy

As for the bolded portion above, that's the best news I've heard thus far. Makes me think there's some hope down the line. Smile
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1532
Say What You Want : I like to see the roller-coaster before I get on it. I mean, how many loops are we talking here?
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bonesfan158 Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:07 am

I liked it very much. It was almost nice to see that like real life, they still have unresolved issues and everything isn't "happily ever after" as so many shows go.
I loved the mastodon in the lab!!! As soon as I heard the name of the episode, I viewed it as strictly metaphorical, and it was. The unresolved issues between the characters are still there and some bigger than before, but to see the actual mastodon in the middle of the room at the end was priceless, as well as Booth's line.

On another note, I watched the episode with my 13 yr old daughter, who stated emphatically at the end, "Well that was disappointing. I didn't like it." My own child--go figure!!!

bonesfan158
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by himbeer29 Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:11 am

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your reviews! I also liked the episode... not their best, but still very enjoyable. My biggest complaint was that (and I felt this about the finale, too), (to me) it felt like there were so many story lines going on they were just jumping from one character to the next. Not that it didn't have a good flow, but I think I will like later episodes where they can slow down without the "bring everyone back to square one in 40ish minutes" difficulty.

And yes, I loooove JFD, but that beard and haircut NEED to go.

Some notes:

I totally agree with you that Booth is faking it until he makes it. He's trying too hard to press this onto people, when in the past he hasn't been like that with his relationships (now, whether that's the point or just a failing of the writers on the character remains to be seen.)

On the Brennan being dirty when she arrives... I didn't think that was unusual at all. Certainly they have showers there, but she was likely in a rush. I've been stuck in dirty, dusty clothes for 24 hours on plane (and other times train) trips before (and let me tell you, trying to wipe yourself down with baby wipes in airport bathrooms just doesn't quite do the job ;-)). I can easily see her getting back to camp, finding out to make the times for flights/boats/trains whatever, maybe hopping in the shower (if she has time to do that) and then just throwing her same clothes back on.
himbeer29
himbeer29
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 10638
Say What You Want : Chicks Against Energy Drinks = C.A.E.D ♫♪Because they are bad for you♪♫ (Thanks to Turi!)

Back to top Go down

Post by lancelot Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:19 am

bonesfan158 wrote:I liked it very much. It was almost nice to see that like real life, they still have unresolved issues and everything isn't "happily ever after" as so many shows go.
I loved the mastodon in the lab!!! As soon as I heard the name of the episode, I viewed it as strictly metaphorical, and it was. The unresolved issues between the characters are still there and some bigger than before, but to see the actual mastodon in the middle of the room at the end was priceless, as well as Booth's line.

On another note, I watched the episode with my 13 yr old daughter, who stated emphatically at the end, "Well that was disappointing. I didn't like it." My own child--go figure!!!

That's so funny I watched it with my 13 yr old daughter who said, "I don't know if i liked it - it was depressing".

I really liked it though! Go figure Laughing

lancelot
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2010-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:03 am

DBCrazy wrote:Good to have the InkSlingers return. As for my own opinion of the show, I wanted to be Wow-ed last night and I wasn't. I enjoyed it, but I wasn't Wow-ed.

I hadn't caught that Brennan hadn't showered before meeting up with Booth, but some of that I think I blame on things just being unrealistic sometimes. I mean, truly, do you get a phone call out in the middle of nowhere and just go jump on a plane. For that matter, if she hasn't been using her satellite phone at all in 7 months, why is she keeping it charged up and on her person!?
You know that's really THE question IMO. I mean, she's got a SAT phone on her, keeps it charged the entire time, it's always in her pocket, but she never uses it? That just doesn't make any sense at all. I mean, c'mon, she should have known by now to call someone, Angela even, to let them know she arrived safely. And the US Military goes out of its way to make sure it's troops can contact folks at home, so I can't imagine that Booth didn't say something like "Okay Bones, you'll call me or Angela when you land, let one of us know you're safe so we don't spend the next year worrying about you, right?" to Brennan before they parted ways. Then again I can't believe they just held hands *cough* *crappy ending* *cough*.

There were a couple things that I disagreed with both of you on and it kind of tickled me:

1) Brennan doing the girly posing then beating up the guerrillas. I thought the girly posing was pretty good, after all, they value women, so it felt perfect. But beating them all up, that just seemed like Hollywood-heroism make-believe, and I rolled my eyes.
See I just thought the vogue-ing was too much. I mean, from one perspective I can see it as quintessential Brennan but, it's so S4 it just felt forced. And yes, the ass kicking was a little Hollywood but I still loved it. We just don't get to see our girl kick ass as often as we'd like.

2) Sweets's sabbatical persona was pretty cool I thought. Dusty took a look at him and the quote was "Sweets is beast!" It didn't carry over so well in the Hoover, but at the piano I thought JFD has actually grown up enough to have Sweets pull it off.

Hey, if Dusty was good with it then I'll step back and take the correction. Of course Sweets is like 16 or 17 so he and Dusty have more in common than he and I. It's an age thing, I get that.

But Dawn, I was happy when you mentioned the tattoo! I caught it too, and it was gone so fast that I didn't know if I'd just had a quick hallucination or something.
Yep, going through the motions is exactly what I think Booth is doing. He's definitely not as into Hannah as he wants everyone to believe.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:05 am

ToZiKa wrote:So let me be the first to say that I like the new Inkslinger.

It was nice to see some of those scenes from another perspective and I think it is good that you have two very different styles of reviewing it.

I hadn't even thought of some of those things you mentioned and I'll make sure to reread this right before I watch the episode the second time.

Special thanks should go to our King for not being overly pessimistic, but still remaining the one to always point out the bad sides too. I for one wouldn't want you to become all optimistic and happy about the show, but this seems to be a good balance between finding the mistakes and bad things and still being able to enjoy the good things.

I still like the Queen better though. Razz Laughing
Thanks ToZ. I think the way to do it is for me to make sure I'm either drunk or on Oxy before reviewing, that way I don't take it too seriously. Oh, and I'll always point out the bad stuff, can't help it. I'm an analyst by trade and it just comes naturally to me.

You're not alone, btw, I like the Queen's reviews better too! I don't always agree with them, but she's a hell of a reviewer.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianBones Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:21 am

THX1138 wrote:InkSlinger - Season 6, Episode 1

The UGLY - Sweets beard. It's gotta go, please someone hold him down and shave him!
Better than average, but not as good as it could have been.

king RM

oh goodness that was like a really bad dirty teen 'stache. It was awful, shudders. I really hope it goes too.
CanadianBones
CanadianBones
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1266
Say What You Want : they shouldn't be doing that on the forensic platform. - brennan
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next