Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown!

+35
recoveringbonesaddict
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
SJB
flyersfan35
heirofloki
MI_Bonesgirl
crzy4bones
Lyanna Stark
a_rangergrl2
jjrobinson73
empiricist
tinkrella
Meegs82
ddc
agnerka81
treble21
anteater
BonesInOz
BrainySmurf0302
Shelly
queen bess
sera
bones206
Thnx4theGum
sadhbh
Bella Loony
A2BOREANAZ
jonezn4Bones
dawnsfire
G
SnoopGirl
RGPageantqueen
THX1138
Turi ray of sunshine
DBCrazy
39 posters

Page 10 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown! - Page 10 Empty Re: The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown!

Post by THX1138 Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:16 pm

Shelly wrote:Haha, Sera, I'm going to admit that I actually wikipedia'd the spelling for Langly to make sure I got it right, and they gave me -ley! Touche though. Razz I love it when the philes come out of the wood work! Laughing

Rob, I'm suprised that episode disturbed you so much! I think it was banned for a few years because all that incest stuff was just too much for TV at the time. Sera's right though, you missed alot of good ones! You should catch up some time, you won't be disappointed, I promise! Wink
Honestly I was good through 99% of that sucker, not loving it but dealing, and then:
Spoiler:
Yeah. I signed out after that.

king RM

Last edited by THX1138 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited at Sherry's request and 'cause honestly? It's disturbing.)
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown! - Page 10 Empty Re: The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown!

Post by dawnsfire Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:55 pm

Ewwww!

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:30 pm

dawnsfire wrote:Ewwww!

queen
Double Ewwww!

Rob, you just want to make us all share the pain, don'tcha? Mad You need to go hide that under a spoiler box or something, give somebody a chance to turn back before they have nightmares or something. affraid
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:55 am

THX1138 wrote:
Shelly wrote:Haha, Sera, I'm going to admit that I actually wikipedia'd the spelling for Langly to make sure I got it right, and they gave me -ley! Touche though. Razz I love it when the philes come out of the wood work! Laughing

Rob, I'm suprised that episode disturbed you so much! I think it was banned for a few years because all that incest stuff was just too much for TV at the time. Sera's right though, you missed alot of good ones! You should catch up some time, you won't be disappointed, I promise! Wink
Honestly I was good through 99% of that sucker, not loving it but dealing, and then the final scene happened and you can hear the deformed mother (with just the one arm - no other limbs to speak of) encouraging her even more deformed son while they're having sex. Knowing what they're doing and that she's hoping to get pregnant by him so they can continue the family blood line? Yeah. I signed out after that.

king RM

Yeah If I had watched the X-Files this would have made me stop as well.....
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by sadhbh Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:10 am

Advance apologies, because some of this is taken straight from what I said in the discussion thread, just cause I was feeling lazy Smile

dawnsfire wrote:Hodgins--puts on a fantastic mask, doesn’t he? But he’s not the same guy who sat down on Sweets’ couch last season and ranted about hating everyone. His actions in the diner fooled me, but perhaps he didn’t quite believe it until later when he saw them acting in such a light, loving, normal way. That said, he enjoyed the shooting test far too much--not that I blame him. *sniff* Poor Hodgins. But Sweets was right--it really is only time that can cure him, if he lets it, and then he’ll always have this little soft mushy place in his heart for her and for them, because it was good, after all (at least in his mind, considering earlier discussions).
Anybody else notice that he’s the only who’s taken the classic “lie down on the shrink’s couch” pose?
Pity they didn’t return to his conspiracy aspect here--between the aliens and the illegal dump, there should have been plenty for him to dig into. Instead, they focused on his scientific skills (and I begin to wonder if some of that is legitimately detectable) and his emotional ride.

First of all, totally agree with you Hodgins/Sweets comments. I really enjoyed the scene between the two of them in his office. Between that and the avatar episode (I know there was more to it than that, but really avatar is the only prominent thing about it coming to mind, which is not good really) it looks like they are developing into sort of nerdy buddies, which is kind of cute. And I love how Hodgins really seemed to respect what Sweets was saying. I like Sweets more and more this season.
Secondly, however, Hodgins was too on the ball for me this week. Normally I can gloss over their "oh we got a hit on the mass spec for this which matches up to this exact brand and product" but that, coupled with the precise matching of the emmission spectrum for the metals just irritated me. I know they have government funding behind them, but it's still not that easy. Normally I let all this go and save my irriation for CSI, but it just bugged me more than usual in this episode.

dawnsfire wrote:Sweets--The diner staff called him “Doc” and “Lance,” and I’m trying to remember if they’ve ever addressed Booth or Brennan by name.

Can't remember if they have addressed Brennan or Booth by name, but I thought the Lance thing was cute and could see the diner staff essentially mothering him, with an extra scoop of mash potato or ice-cream or something. Looking after the baby in the big city kind of thing. It was cute Smile

dawnsfire wrote:BadI don’t understand why his gun was attracted to the MRI. Magnets, yeah, but are they really that strong? This falls into bad if they got it wrong, good if they got it right (cool effect, if a little overdone).

As others have pointed out Dawn, you are 100% correct. MRIs are super powerful magnets.

Before my mini rant, I am aware that the MRI scene was a total comedic set-up, but scientifically it made no sense, and that really irritated me. If there was an MRI machine available, there was almost certainly an X-ray machine available, and why would Brennan, Bone-lady extrodonaire, not X-ray the body first, to get a look at the bones, which would have shown up the ball bearings and thus, they wouldn't have done the MRI. I realise they were dealing with a dead body so it's not like they had to be uber-careful (excpet Brennan is ALWAYS uber-careful with her bodies. I can't imagine she'd be less careful just cause there was flesh involved), however with an unknown history, would you not be meant to check for metal in the body before MRI-ing it? Also, the force of the body slamming into the MRI machine really should have damaged it more. Also, I am not 100% about this, but if my experience with NMR (which is similar) is anything to go by, depending on the force with which the metal was slammed into the machine it would be possible to damage it. I find it hard to imagine Brennan would be so careless.

It all just felt a bit sloppy for the sake of a good laugh. But that's the irritation of another scientist. I can normally supress my inner scientist, but for some reason not this week...

Oh, also, can we just finish the Angela/Wendall storyline asap? I'm not really enjoying it...

Props to Shelly for all the X-files catches Smile I was a big fan, and then an intermittant fan as time went on.

I have just spent a about five minutes trying to figure out why my colour tags weren't working. I'm European. We spell color, colour. Rolling Eyes
sadhbh
sadhbh
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 2966
Say What You Want : Must. Resist. Spoilers!!
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:23 pm

InkSlinger - Season 5, Episode 11

Now with 100% fewer Spoilers!

The proof in the Pudding

I would like to apologize for the lateness of this post, but my laptop chose to lock up on me right before I was going to hit save and I lost the damn thing. UGH.

The second episode of the mid-winter season (mid-winter season? yeah, the geniuses at Fox are giving is a tri-partite season this year.) was really the ultimate buddy flick in a way. With Hodgins, Sweets and Booth acting in concert, we really got a little male bonding mixed in with our FBI ass kicking. Oh, and let's mention that shall we? Special Agent Bad Ass was in the house tonight, cleaning clocks and taking names. The man was on FIRE tonight. Hey Hart, gimme more bad ass Booth. The ladies want him and the guys want to be like him, it's a sure fire recipe for success. In fact the only tweak left if you make him a permanent bad ass? Give him the balls to tell Brennan he loves her! Ya' mook.

The Case
While Cam's busy running about trying to figure out who's positive pregnancy test she's holding (My bet was on Daisy, I lost), the mysterious Mr White locks the team in the Medico Legal Lab with orders from the GSA to find out how an even more mysterious set of remains ended up dead. Booth, ever distraught that someone other than him is terrorizing his team of squints, colludes with Hacker to break in and find out what's going on. Once inside we are treated to a mystery wrapped in an enigma and tied up in a riddle...no, it's a a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma...or is the enigma...Ah screw it. Look, it's complicated but basically, they get bones that they think are JFK's but they don't know for sure because they're not allowed to touch perform any tests ON the bones themselves. During the night, as they attempt to determine cause of death, we are treated to Booth and Hodgins recreating the shooting itself, Angela putting Kennedy's face on the skull, Brennan discovering a second shooter, Hodgins being Hodgins, and Sweets playing the part of comic side kick. In the end Brennan determines that the remains belong to a man who has osteomyelitis (a chronic bone infection), a condition JFK did not suffer from. The cause of death determined, and the identity officially established as not being JFK's, the case is wrapped up with none of us, or them, being satisfied.

It was interesting, and I think well played. The case involved Secret Service Agents running a False Flag operation that could have been a dry run, a test, or even the real thing, so it's only fitting that our heroes don't know the answers at the end of the show. They can think they've got the evidence, but they won't ever be 100% sure, as all good conspiracies should be.

The Characters
There was a lot of character interaction here, a lot to build on and a lot of development that begs dissection so let's begin:

Angela - Wow. It's like Hart wants me to hate her. She's with Wendell now, a genuinely good guy, but he's gonna be the last person to know about the baby? Nice. Granted, Hodgins was there when Cam confronted her with the test, but it's still something that sticks in a guy's craw. Bonus points for her talking about the baby's father being "the wrong guy". Put it on hold Hodgela fans, and answer me this - who exactly is the right guy? Grayson? Hodgins? A player to be named later? Really not feelin' Angie this season. Really.

Hodgins - Jack Hodgins was all over this episode baby, really he and Booth were the two main characters tonight. On the science, Hodgins was solid coming up with all the information and data to prove it was Kennedy. On the conspiracy side he was in his element, though I do have a few quibbles...okay, one BIG quibble, he really was in the zone tonight. Finally, Jack Hodgins the stand-up man? Checking in. His offer to be there for Angela, even though it's not his kid? That's love baby. Unfortunately, that's also hard to watch because it's pretty obvious now that Angie doesn't love Hodgins, not like that anyway, so all he got for his effort was another crack to his already broken heart. On the up side, Hodgins bonded with Booth and Sweets and really, he needs the man time.

Cam - Not really the good soldier type! Good lord if Cam keeps this up she'll be encroaching on Brennan for a place in my heart. Seriously I love Cam, in a professional "Atta girl" kind of way, I really do, but nights like tonight make me pine for the feisty vixen. Seems Booth isn't the only one who has trouble with authority figures, and our Bronx bombshell was out in force, running her lab, monkey wrenching the Secret Service, worrying about Michelle and still finding time to worry about Angela and Booth. The woman was amazing.

Sweets - Sweets is a junior member of the team in almost every way but we get to see him really step up tonight. Playing Robin to Booth's Batman (I guess that makes Hodgins Nightwing?), Sweets fills the role of sidekick well, supporting Booth's and Hodgin's plans and even planting seeds of distrust in the Secret Service agents working around the lab. Still comments like "That's a lot of blood to have on your hands" show our little duck has a ways to go to really understand Booth.

Hacker - Damn it, I like the man. He gives Booth the nod to go in, and promises to bail him out when he gets in trouble. He comes in with the cavalry to support Booth and the team. He even comments about Booth being the better FBI agent and the better man. You can hate the man for wanting to get with Brennan, but IMO that's like hating a duck for wanting to get with water, but don't hate him for who he is. Captain Forehead knows he's got competition from Booth, and still helps out. He's a stand-up man. A clueless idiot at times, but a stand-up man.

Booth
Wow. The noble and inherently self destructive side of Booth's personality was on a roll tonight! First, got to love why he needs to be in there - there his people. Second, we know the man has skills, and while I'm an adherent to the Zapruder theory that Oswald had 8 seconds to shoot, not 5, the fact that Booth nailed two dead on shots in under 2 seconds? The man is freaking AMAZING! That said, no respect for spooks? Check. No respect for authority when it's abused? Check. No tolerance for anyone threatening his team? Check. Serious bad ass? Double Check. Now what have we learned about Booth this episode, aside from the obvious like his ancestral relation to John Wilkes Booth? Well his knowledge of black bag operations and how these agents work isn't the kind of thing you pick up from casual contact.

PURE CONJECTURE HERE: At some point in his past, intimated since S1 I might add but now we can almost say for certain, Booth was a Gov't operative. Probably at the end of his Ranger career, prior to or at the start of his FBI career, he was loaned out to State or DOD-MI, but whoever he worked for, he was a spook. Why do I say that? Because only a former spook can hate spooks that much, and Booth knew each and every trick they were going to pull before they did, he knew they're game plan inside and out, that's not being a good agent, that's being an experienced operative.

Brennan
Interesting, Brennan has worked enough classified Government cases that she doesn't even question the what or why of Mr White's sudden appearance, she just goes with the flow. Still, when the enigmatic Mr White tries to stop Brennan from finding the truth she doesn't hesitate to break all the rules. For her the truth is paramount...unless it involves Booth. We saw tonight the consummate scientist in Brennan, the woman who wouldn't stop the quest for truth even if it meant defying the US Government. We also saw the woman who is a friend and, someday, lover, who is willing to set aside her deepest held beliefs for the one man she's said she'd do anything for. People use those words often, she means them. She's still learning what it means to be emotionally intimate with Booth - and yes, I meant it that way. They're relationship, while not what we'd like it to be, is a very intimate one on many levels, and Brennan is gamely venturing into uncharted territory when she deals with Booth on things like his ancestry (JWB), his patriotism (The JFK Assassination), and what it means to be them. Yet this season we've seen her put forth a real effort, she's taking the risks now that she wouldn't even contemplate last year or the year before. It's amazing to watch because every week it's new for her and us, this is what makes the character so compelling and Emily Deschanel is simply amazing in this role.

The Intangibles
Booth playing the bad ass? Works for me especially in that sweet leather jacket. Brennan playing the scientist two episodes in a row? Definitely works for me and I love her in the pony tail, it just makes her look so young. Hodgins, I swear TJ is looking thin and pasty, maybe it's all the flannel he's wearing - someone tell me I'm wrong folks. Angela was looking good, that's the dress to break hearts in, and Cam...I loved Cam this episode but could they up her wardrobe budget? Seriously.

Scene of Note
Booth and Hacker in the diner, Hacker's assessment that Booth is not only the better agent. Priceless. His estimation that Booth is also the better man? Priceless. His nod to the fact that Booth's character is one of the major stumbling blocks to him getting a shot at Temperance? Again, priceless. That scene gives me warm fuzzies every time I see it.

Booth's three part take down of Mr White and his two wingmen. The Secret Service guys never saw him coming, and it just goes to show not only what a bad ass Booth is, but the difference between Special Ops training and Secret Service training. SSA's are trained to protect and take down threats using minimum force, SpecOps are trained to kill.

Brennan and Cam outside the diner. Cam will always love Booth, even though they'll never be romantically involved again, and her thanking Brennan was touching. More touching was the knowledge that Brennan, who values the truth above all else, would gladly compromise that for Booth. Biggest ball of fluff EVER.

The gang looking at Angela's facial reconstruction for the skull. When everyone jokingly says who they see in the face, Brennan says Booth and she's dead serious. It was so cute and fluffy, especially when she gets that crooked little smile, very reminiscent of how she looked at Angela when talking about her nickname "Bones" in TFitF.

Quotable Quotes - The Zapruder Edition
Brennan: Mr White told us to consider identification as a 0 priority
Cam: I'm not as good as you at doing what I'm told.
Brennan: Thanks you.

Hodgins: (To Cam) Was that you? Who knew you could yell like that.
Brennan: She scared the guards.
Hodgins: I find that so hot!
Cam: That's all for you.

Mr White: How'd you get past the guards?
Booth: Sniper training. They trained me to walk really, really quietly.
Mr White: You are now restricted to the building of course.
Booth: Damn. Who saw that coming?

Hacker: Booth, are you being held against your will?
Booth: C'mon I could get our if I wanted to.
Hacker: That's not the question I asked you. I asked you is an agent of the FBI being held are being held by persons unkown against your will?
Booth: Yeah, we all are.
Hacker: Then I find on behalf of the FBI, I am annoyed by their arrogance.

Angela: You do realize that all these tests? Everybody failed.
Brennan: Not me. I figured out the truth.

Fun Facts
The GSA (General Services Administration) is a catchall bureaucratic organization that mostly handles property leases and aggregation of supply ordering for Federal institutions and agencies. It's also one of the favorite fronts used by the NSA for false flag operations on US Soil. A secret service team masquerading as GSA Agents would be a classic false flag operation. The FBI fondly refers to the NSA as No Such Agency.

Hodgins estimation of the elapsed time between the first and second shots being fired is widely disputed by modern specialists who point to digitally enhanced analysis of the Zapruder film which suggests that the amount of time for all three shots is 8.3 seconds, not 4.6.

Oswald was not, as Hodgins insists, a crappy shot. He was in fact rated as a Sharpshooter by the US Marine Corps, the same rating as Booth.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The GOOD - The whole episode, really, but any scene involving Booth being a bad ass is a good scene.

The BAD - Not mentioning the Zapruder film? Really? Hodgins just lettin' that one go? C'mon.

The UGLY - The scene with Hacker flirting with Brennan? Just ugly. The man can't flirt, and compared to Booth? C'Mon there's no comparison.

Fun, fast paced, suspenseful, and more than a little fic worthy in it's own right. The story line was great, the squintory was more Hodgela than Wangela, but it remained compelling. This is now my new favorite episode, the Christmas one dropping to #2 and ANatBM falling to #3. I'm going to re-watch this again, right now.

The case work was solid and held it's own against a squintory demanding to be heard:
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

No mention of Zapruder? HERESY:

Overall watchability? The truth is right here, it's worth re-watching more than once:

This was a great case heavy episode that still managed to fit in a nice secondary plot and a lot of character development. This is why I LOVE BONES!

king RM

Last edited by THX1138 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Needed an Extra Skull)
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Proof in the Pudding

OK, conspiracy theorists have been hard at work on this one. We’ve all seen the promos and know some of the issues. Actually, this is the kind of case I was hoping for…oh, not the specifics, but something beside find dead body-slash-murder victim and solve. This was not ordinary by a long shot.

And I was interrupted in this…my landlord came a’knocking on the door. Can’t really ignore him, after all. *pouts*

Case

Booth leaves the lab, and Cam finds a positive pregnancy test in the ladies’ room--one which only Cam, Brennan, Angela--and Michelle--use. A little far fetched, perhaps, considering there are several feminine lab techs, or would it be like the executive restroom? And obviously Daisy hasn’t been on the rotation recently, either… Anyway, Cam’s worried about who might have left it behind, since she’s foster mother to a 16 year old girl.

In the middle of her agonizing, a bunch of MiB (Men in Black, aka government goons) officially from the General Services Administration and headed by a Mr. White, come into the lab with a casket. They seal off the lab with a nifty looking machine and deactivate the platform’s alarms. Those in the lab (oddly enough--only Brennan, Cam, Angela, Hodgins, and Sweets, not one low level tech) are locked in until sunrise. Why sunrise? Why not 7am? Seems an odd way of phrasing it in this day and age, unless someone‘s been reading too many vampire stories. Anyway…they are told they have to find cause of death, but not to concern themselves with identity or anything other than that. Hmph. They didn’t do that much research, did they? Knew enough to wait until Booth was gone, but not much else--or they would have known some of this wouldn’t fly.

Not a traditional casket, bones are clean, and there is a small case of samples. None of which are to be marked, probed, used up, etc. Huge hole in the skull, odd markings, evidence of bullet wounds and a heck of a lot of other damage from illness and broken bones. Brennan sneaks a small bone (part of the coccyx, if I’m not mistaken) away to compare to previously dated bones in Limbo while Hodgins looks over the samples. He comes to a rather startling conclusion--this is the skeleton of John F. Kennedy! This is bigger than anything else he’s looked at before and he's frankly floored.

Eventually further evidence comes in supporting this: Angela’s facial reconstruction bears a certain resemblance, the person died about 1963, pink wool, etc, etc. And there are rumors that authorities want to exhume Kennedy’s body so it can be examined with today’s superior forensic methods.

In the meantime, the MiB are prowling and getting in the way and Booth gets alarmed when Sweets tells him what’s going on. He gets stopped in the garage, talks to Hacker about support, then breaks into the lab, shooting out the glass door. No doubt the others are glad to see him, of course, but White and his guys aren’t. And now he’s stuck in the lab as well--something Hacker can use, but takes his sweet time doing.

Booth is the lone holdout to the notion that this is JFK’s skeleton; not a surprise, considering how many times he’s defended the government to Brennan and Hodgins. But he is willing to work an experiment; firing an exact replica of Lee Harvey Oswald’s rifle to see if it could be done. (Does the Smithsonian have one of those, btw?) They sneak around and get the rifle, pull a fast one on White to get him to permit the basic experiment and Booth makes the shot, proving in his mind that there was only one gunman that day in Dallas. The others aren’t so sure, based on another bullet hole, coming from a different direction.

After sulking a bit, Booth comes back to help Brennan. He causes a huge diversion by picking a fight with the goon squad while she makes a break for it with two bones. In a final test, involving the pudding of the title, she shows that one bone has a condition JFK was never listed with, thus relieving Booth’s mind. Hacker breaks in, just too late to do anything.

They are freed, research destroyed, bones and samples removed from the lab. And all six head out for breakfast and discussion. Was it a test? Who was it for? And did he/she/they pass or fail? In the very end, the camera shows a TV screen in a store window, reporting breaking news--that the motion for exhumation has been turned down, out of consideration for the family’s feelings.

Characters

Booth--took it on the chin in this one. We got some confirmation about him and his past that has been mostly hinted at and certainly speculated about…his connection to John Wilkes Booth as well as why he feels he must trust the government. But he was Agent Extraordinaire, and I don’t just mean the diversion/fighting at the end. Sneaking past the guards and breaking into the lab (he’s a sniper) was just one of the things he offered. I truly enjoyed his trying to annoy White and his goons--mostly because it worked! But how many pairs of handcuffs does he normally carry?
Even though we haven’t actually seen it on the screen, this is the second time they’ve referred to private, non-work-related, conversations between the partners, and oddly enough, both references fall into an episode with Hacker. The egg/meatloaf thing and now John Wilkes Booth. At least she didn’t say it in front of others, this time--and if he hadn’t already been so worked up, he would have appreciated that.
And damn, did he look good firing that rifle!

Brennan--I would have thought she was as much of a rule-breaker as Cam and Hodgins, and as it turned out, she is, if quieter. And she enjoys being part of some sort of deception, even though she is officially against it--that rattle of scientific jibber-jabber (and how real was some of that, anyway? Did the job, regardless) was a little like being undercover for her. She’s getting better at that, too--it wasn’t as forced as say, when she put the kneecaps on the silver skeleton back in Knight on the Grid. And despite the faux pas of mentioning Booth’s ancestry, she was considerably more sensitive to his needs, especially once Cam explained.
They’ve kept her lack of knowledge of pop culture in place, but she should have known who Michael Jackson was! My sister (who is younger than Brennan is supposed to be) remembers the “Thriller” video from when it first came out; I’m sure Russ would have watched it and it strikes me as the kind of thing big brother would use to try and freak out little sister with.
And she’s in a dry spell sexually--no wonder she didn’t have a lot of sympathy for Angela before. But maybe that contributed to her seeing Booth in the reconstruction?

I would say this was classic Booth and Brennan overall--interactions, behavior, skills, etc, with just enough of recent developments.

Angela--okie-dokey, the test was hers and it was a false positive, much as prevailing opinion thought. She was not too pleased about it, but somewhere came around since she was just as disappointed when Cam told her it was false. Maybe her statement back in Baby in the Bough was not as spur of the moment as I always thought. She had a great speech about people being connected via baby, too.
Awkward is apparently her word for the season, since that’s exactly how she said it Harbingers (and EitB, too, of course).
Scientifically, she didn’t have much to do beyond the two reconstructions and being a sounding board, but honestly, it wasn’t that kind of case.

Hodgins--full blown conspiracy mode here and might we add it’s about time! This is Conspiracy Numero Uno, the big one, the main event, and if he hadn’t been neck-deep in it, I would have asked Rob to contact his…people (speaking of conspiracies). Great look on his face as he realized exactly what he was likely to be holding--he loves it, but doesn’t expect to be in the middle of it. And the stuff about secret passages in the Jeffersonian is another plus. Once in a while this info is useful. And he has guts to take on even Booth or mystery men when he truly believes in what he’s saying.
Outside of all this, on a personal level, he made the sweetest offer any man could make to a woman who dumped him by offering to help Angela with the presumed baby, since Wendell is a lowly grad student who might not be able to materially provide for them. He also states he still loves her. Later, after it comes out that it’s a false positive, he is downright uncomfortable and I think he regrets showing so much of his emotions. I don’t think he lied and he does still feel something, but wishes he hadn’t said so. But there are indications of some new rapport between them…a development I’m not too sure about.

Cam--torn between concerned mom and worried boss here, something that is happening more and more. Part of the territory, I guess, but this was not a time for divided attention. Good thing Angela confessed before she called Michelle, though, since matters are delicate enough between them as it is. She and Hodgins were a perfect match in defying the Man this episode, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Also worthy of mention is her explaining Booth’s desperate desire to believe in the government to Brennan and Sweets in terms they can grasp. I honestly think Brennan hadn’t quite grasped it up to then, and it certainly shed light on his frustration over the ancestral issue for her. And Cam realizes that, too, based on her parting words to Brennan outside the diner.
Her defense of the team is a truly Cam-moment (“Tell your bosses we don’t do half-truth here.”) and from the beginning that has been her strength.

Sweets--useful tonight, and not very annoying except for that ultra focused bit at the beginning when he‘s trying to get some sort of forms (they‘re probably all bull anyway) from Cam. Gave Booth valuable information and was a willing player in the rebellion. Also, probably because he doesn’t have any official role, he’s the one who picks up the test vibe. Poor guy, though--it’s only when Booth is trapped that Hacker gets concerned about an employee of the FBI being held against his will. Sweets was there, too, and is just as much a part of the Bureau as Booth is!
Another interesting point is that Sweets does not have a complete file on Booth’s past. He knows about the sniper work, but has no clue of numbers, whereas Brennan’s known that for quite some time.

Hacker--definitely worth noting that he’s still interested in Brennan; her interest in him is less definable. He also is aware that in the eyes of the rest of the world, Booth comes off as the bigger, better, etc, etc, man (that whole bit in the diner about Booth’s people, for example). I do give him credit for supporting a Bureau employee, no matter that the man could be a romantic rival, and trying the rescue, even if he was 10 seconds or so late. I’ve decided that he’s the kind of man who tries too hard to be funny and is unsure why people don’t always laugh. He’s also rather full of himself, too.

Random Impressions

I liked them all lined up at the counter near the end, while discussing what had just happened. And speaking of line-ups, the ladies covering their ears as Booth takes his shot was pretty nice, too.

Completely called the fact that they waited for Booth to leave before sequestering the Squints (all right, fine, so it was only 5 minutes before Booth said it, but I did get it).

“You’re FBI property. If anyone’s going to lock you up, it’s going to be me.” Good thing Brennan didn’t hear this little speech, considering all the times she’s made it clear she’s not property. Don’t suppose he’d have said it if she had been in the room, either.

Note all the emphasis on them being Booth’s people--how many times was it said? At least three and maybe more.

I had wondered how they would have exhumed JFK without the entire world knowing it, but between conspiracy theories of whether it’s the right body in Arlington and the concept of a dry run with another skeleton, I have some sort of answer.

“All he’s proving is that he’s made up his mind.” So have you, Booth--just in the other direction. And he’s quite unhappy that Brennan seems to side with the others about a second assassin. Can’t blame him--having your personal foundation shaken like that is never easy, no matter how logical it may be.

Fanfic elements: Booth feeding Brennan because she won’t eat otherwise, the nearly empty lab…I presume it was near end of day, but still. Also Brennan’s current dry spell regarding men and Booth’s past, as well as Sweets not having Booth’s complete file--I’ve seen that in a story or three as well.

All the talk of tests--I think the dry run was the closest, and they failed that because, as a group, Booth, Brennan, and their team are dedicated to the truth, no matter how unpleasant or inconvenient it is. Also, they tend to go beyond the standard parameters of an assignment--which is one of the reasons why they are the best--and do more than required in their search for that truth. That is something that has been said several times over the course of the show (“Dr. Brennan always says that catching the bad guys is only part of it. The rest is knowing absolutely everything about the evidence.”) . But they are the best out there, and if the point was to quiet the conspiracists, having someone other than the Jeffersonian do the work isn’t going to work. Hence the reason the motion was withdrawn in Congress…and the part about considering the family’s feelings was a standard excuse, and one no one would argue over.
I’m with Hodgins on this one--cover-up of a cover-up.

Good
I thought the case itself, the uncertainty, the possibilities, were quite good this time around. They mystery centered more around what had happened and who brought the body in than a classic whodunit. Nice change of pace.

Brennan and Booth’s linked arms and the discussion of brain over gut at the end was another good ending, too.

Bad/Ugly
You know--I don’t have much here. Nothing physically or too far off course in terms of character or scenario. Sorry.

While not quite what the promo and sides seemed to promise (esp Hacker’s role), I liked it.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:12 pm

THX1138 wrote:I would like to apologize for the lateness of this post, but my laptop chose to lock up on me right before I was going to hit save and I lost the damn thing. UGH.
We need to stop having problems in tandem, you know that, right?

The Case
While Cam's busy running about trying to figure out who's positive pregnancy test she's holding (My bet was on Daisy, I lost), the mysterious Mr White locks the team in the Medico Legal Lab with orders from the GSA to find out how an even more mysterious set of remains ended up dead.
Nah, I was sure it was Ange--and that it would be false. Should have made that bet--I could use the cash! Very Happy

Booth, ever distraught that someone other than him is terrorizing his team of squints, colludes with Hacker to break in and find out what's going on.
Heh.

Once inside we are treated to a mystery wrapped in an enigma and tied up in a riddle...no, it's a a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma...or is the enigma...Ah screw it. Look, it's complicated but basically, they get bones that they think are JFK's but they don't know for sure because they're not allowed to touch perform any tests ON the bones themselves.
Yeah, no DNA tests permitted. That would have been frosting on the cake, if one of them could have gotten a tiny sample to test...

It was interesting, and I think well played. The case involved Secret Service Agents running a False Flag operation that could have been a dry run, a test, or even the real thing, so it's only fitting that our heroes don't know the answers at the end of the show. They can think they've got the evidence, but they won't ever be 100% sure, as all good conspiracies should be.
Yep--another of these vague ones, but somehow it sits a little better than the flashdrive in Bond/Boot--perhaps because it is a classic conspiracy theory?

Hodgins - Jack Hodgins was all over this episode baby, really he and Booth were the two main characters tonight. On the science, Hodgins was solid coming up with all the information and data to prove it was Kennedy. On the conspiracy side he was in his element, though I do have a few quibbles...okay, one BIG quibble, he really was in the zone tonight. Finally, Jack Hodgins the stand-up man? Checking in. His offer to be there for Angela, even though it's not his kid? That's love baby. Unfortunately, that's also hard to watch because it's pretty obvious now that Angie doesn't love Hodgins, not like that anyway, so all he got for his effort was another crack to his already broken heart. On the up side, Hodgins bonded with Booth and Sweets and really, he needs the man time.
He's been getting quite a bit of man time this season, and often with Sweets and a third party to be named. Last time it was Fisher; this time Booth. Of course I enjoy the latter more than the former. Curious to see how he handles Wendell from here out, speaking of male-bonding--they were doing pretty well until last epi.

Cam - Not really the good soldier type! Good lord if Cam keeps this up she'll be encroaching on Brennan for a place in my heart. Seriously I love Cam, in a professional "Atta girl" kind of way, I really do, but nights like tonight make me pine for the feisty vixen. Seems Booth isn't the only one who has trouble with authority figures, and our Bronx bombshell was out in force, running her lab, monkey wrenching the Secret Service, worrying about Michelle and still finding time to worry about Angela and Booth. The woman was amazing.
She was great this time around--this is Cam defending her team, juggling multiplying balls, and doing better than herding cats. Also frantic/worried mama Cam is pretty fun to watch as well. Without seeing Michelle attempt to cut her apart.

Sweets - Sweets is a junior member of the team in almost every way but we get to see him really step up tonight. Playing Robin to Booth's Batman (I guess that makes Hodgins Nightwing?), Sweets fills the role of sidekick well, supporting Booth's and Hodgin's plans and even planting seeds of distrust in the Secret Service agents working around the lab. Still comments like "That's a lot of blood to have on your hands" show our little duck has a ways to go to really understand Booth.
I know Booth said that, but I must have missed it somehow--where exactly?

Wow. The noble and inherently self destructive side of Booth's personality was on a roll tonight! First, got to love why he needs to be in there - there his people. Second, we know the man has skills, and while I'm an adherent to the Zapruder theory that Oswald had 8 seconds to shoot, not 5, the fact that Booth nailed two dead on shots in under 2 seconds? The man is freaking AMAZING! That said, no respect for spooks? Check. No respect for authority when it's abused? Check. No tolerance for anyone threatening his team? Check. Serious bad ass? Double Check. Now what have we learned about Booth this episode, aside from the obvious like his ancestral relation to John Wilkes Booth? Well his knowledge of black bag operations and how these agents work isn't the kind of thing you pick up from casual contact.

PURE CONJECTURE HERE: At some point in his past, intimated since S1 I might add but now we can almost say for certain, Booth was a Gov't operative. Probably at the end of his Ranger career, prior to or at the start of his FBI career, he was loaned out to State or DOD-MI, but whoever he worked for, he was a spook. Why do I say that? Because only a former spook can hate spooks that much, and Booth knew each and every trick they were going to pull before they did, he knew they're game plan inside and out, that's not being a good agent, that's being an experienced operative.
Seeing sniper Booth is pretty cool, and while he was angsty, it was the right kind, and he managed to realize it was somewhat self-serving in time (not that everyone doesn't deserve a chance to wallow). As for the part about "his people," it hasn't been hammered home so hard in a long time (if ever) that they are his team, and you screw with them at your own risk. We knew it, and the team knew it (think last season when Perotta said "my people" and was immediately corrected), but here it was a major theme.
You compared him to Batman earlier--and in true superhero style (maybe not Batman in all of his incarnations), he was witty while confronting the bad guys. Always fun.

Interesting, Brennan has worked enough classified Government cases that she doesn't even question the what or why of Mr White's sudden appearance, she just goes with the flow. Still, when the enigmatic Mr White tries to stop Brennan from finding the truth she doesn't hesitate to break all the rules. For her the truth is paramount...unless it involves Booth. We saw tonight the consummate scientist in Brennan, the woman who wouldn't stop the quest for truth even if it meant defying the US Government. We also saw the woman who is a friend and, someday, lover, who is willing to set aside her deepest held beliefs for the one man she's said she'd do anything for. People use those words often, she means them. She's still learning what it means to be emotionally intimate with Booth - and yes, I meant it that way. They're relationship, while not what we'd like it to be, is a very intimate one on many levels, and Brennan is gamely venturing into uncharted territory when she deals with Booth on things like his ancestry (JWB), his patriotism (The JFK Assassination), and what it means to be them. Yet this season we've seen her put forth a real effort, she's taking the risks now that she wouldn't even contemplate last year or the year before. It's amazing to watch because every week it's new for her and us, this is what makes the character so compelling and Emily Deschanel is simply amazing in this role.
True. But she didn't lie. It was more of a presentation and emphasis on different facts. So while there was no solid truth here, no matter how hard she looked, she still managed to present something that was just as valid as their main theory (hypothesis?) in deference to his feelings. That sensitivity is certainly worth mentioning. And in other circumstances, I don't doubt that she would lie until her tongue turned black for him. Not to him. Never to him.

Scene of Note
Booth and Hacker in the diner, Hacker's assessment that Booth is not only the better agent. Priceless. His estimation that Booth is also the better man? Priceless. His nod to the fact that Booth's character is one of the major stumbling blocks to him getting a shot at Temperance? Again, priceless. That scene gives me warm fuzzies every time I see it.
I have a hard time deciding how serious he's being here...I really think he's hoping Booth will play the modesty card or something and deny it.

Booth's three part take down of Mr White and his two wingmen. The Secret Service guys never saw him coming, and it just goes to show not only what a bad ass Booth is, but the difference between Special Ops training and Secret Service training. SSA's are trained to protect and take down threats using minimum force, SpecOps are trained to kill.
Oh, yeah, baby! Great scene! Nothing to add to that assessment.

Hodgins: (To Cam) Was that you? Who knew you could yell like that.
Brennan: She scared the guards.
Hodgins: I find that so hot!
Cam: That's all for you.
Another great scene. Fire in the hole!

Mr White: How'd you get past the guards?
Booth: Sniper training. They trained me to walk really, really quietly.
Mr White: You are now restricted to the building of course.
Booth: Damn. Who saw that coming?
Smart-mouth Booth is always a pleasure... Two in as many sentences, to boot.

I bow to your superior knowledge re: the Kennedy assassination. Most informative, and it certainly gives another dimension to this episode.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:48 pm

dawnsfire wrote:Proof in the Pudding

OK, conspiracy theorists have been hard at work on this one. We’ve all seen the promos and know some of the issues. Actually, this is the kind of case I was hoping for…oh, not the specifics, but something beside find dead body-slash-murder victim and solve. This was not ordinary by a long shot.

And I was interrupted in this…my landlord came a’knocking on the door. Can’t really ignore him, after all. *pouts*
Ah, pout not my Queen. It's just life - happens to me all the time. Very Happy Still, I wish I'd thought of that excuse...

Case

Booth leaves the lab, and Cam finds a positive pregnancy test in the ladies’ room--one which only Cam, Brennan, Angela--and Michelle--use. A little far fetched, perhaps, considering there are several feminine lab techs, or would it be like the executive restroom? And obviously Daisy hasn’t been on the rotation recently, either… Anyway, Cam’s worried about who might have left it behind, since she’s foster mother to a 16 year old girl.
I was pushing for Daisy, seriously it'd make sense, and I found the exclusion of her and the female lab techs to be odd unless the bathroom is cleaned at a certain time and she found the pregnancy test after it was cleaned...I'm really reaching there.

In the middle of her agonizing, a bunch of MiB (Men in Black, aka government goons) officially from the General Services Administration and headed by a Mr. White, come into the lab with a casket. They seal off the lab with a nifty looking machine and deactivate the platform’s alarms. Those in the lab (oddly enough--only Brennan, Cam, Angela, Hodgins, and Sweets, not one low level tech) are locked in until sunrise. Why sunrise? Why not 7am? Seems an odd way of phrasing it in this day and age, unless someone‘s been reading too many vampire stories. Anyway…they are told they have to find cause of death, but not to concern themselves with identity or anything other than that. Hmph. They didn’t do that much research, did they? Knew enough to wait until Booth was gone, but not much else--or they would have known some of this wouldn’t fly.

Not a traditional casket, bones are clean, and there is a small case of samples. None of which are to be marked, probed, used up, etc. Huge hole in the skull, odd markings, evidence of bullet wounds and a heck of a lot of other damage from illness and broken bones. Brennan sneaks a small bone (part of the coccyx, if I’m not mistaken) away to compare to previously dated bones in Limbo while Hodgins looks over the samples. He comes to a rather startling conclusion--this is the skeleton of John F. Kennedy! This is bigger than anything else he’s looked at before and he's frankly floored.
Yeah, the weakest part of the plot to me was the way they handled it with the squints. I mean, they've done there research so they should know how the Medico Legal lab works right? The only thing I can think of is Mr White is really no different from Booth or any other SA/SAC/SSA in Gov't service, and that means he's got no clue what squints do or how they operate, to him the entire lab is like a black box - data in, answers out. That's how Booth was in the beginning, he's learned a LOT since then which is why the squints don't like working with anyone else (Brennan just has the hots for him).

Eventually further evidence comes in supporting this: Angela’s facial reconstruction bears a certain resemblance, the person died about 1963, pink wool, etc, etc. And there are rumors that authorities want to exhume Kennedy’s body so it can be examined with today’s superior forensic methods.

In the meantime, the MiB are prowling and getting in the way and Booth gets alarmed when Sweets tells him what’s going on. He gets stopped in the garage, talks to Hacker about support, then breaks into the lab, shooting out the glass door. No doubt the others are glad to see him, of course, but White and his guys aren’t. And now he’s stuck in the lab as well--something Hacker can use, but takes his sweet time doing.
What I actually took from that was his breaking in and getting captured and detained was Booth's goal from the start. Not really to make things easier for Hacker, but because he was going to make sure his people, and his Bones, were taken care of - IMO Hacker knew he was going to do it anyway and rather than try and stop the freight train, he tried to control the derail.

Booth is the lone holdout to the notion that this is JFK’s skeleton; not a surprise, considering how many times he’s defended the government to Brennan and Hodgins. But he is willing to work an experiment; firing an exact replica of Lee Harvey Oswald’s rifle to see if it could be done. (Does the Smithsonian have one of those, btw?) They sneak around and get the rifle, pull a fast one on White to get him to permit the basic experiment and Booth makes the shot, proving in his mind that there was only one gunman that day in Dallas. The others aren’t so sure, based on another bullet hole, coming from a different direction.
I loved this part the most, especially the re-enactment when we see that Hodgins really is a true conspiracists - he designed the experiment, set the parameters, and then when Booth proves he's wrong he discounts the results of his own experiment. That's why I quit being a conspiracist - the folks are essentially divorced from reality on the topic. Oh, and one more word: Zapruder!

After sulking a bit, Booth comes back to help Brennan. He causes a huge diversion by picking a fight with the goon squad while she makes a break for it with two bones. In a final test, involving the pudding of the title, she shows that one bone has a condition JFK was never listed with, thus relieving Booth’s mind. Hacker breaks in, just too late to do anything.
Well, Hacker did do one thing - he looked like an ass. I mean, he runs like a girl (no offense ladies) and the bullhorn? cliche. Oh, and may we just say - Booth is Special Agent Bad Ass! Taking down those three men was Suhweeet!

Characters

Booth--took it on the chin in this one. We got some confirmation about him and his past that has been mostly hinted at and certainly speculated about…his connection to John Wilkes Booth as well as why he feels he must trust the government. But he was Agent Extraordinaire, and I don’t just mean the diversion/fighting at the end. Sneaking past the guards and breaking into the lab (he’s a sniper) was just one of the things he offered. I truly enjoyed his trying to annoy White and his goons--mostly because it worked! But how many pairs of handcuffs does he normally carry?
Even though we haven’t actually seen it on the screen, this is the second time they’ve referred to private, non-work-related, conversations between the partners, and oddly enough, both references fall into an episode with Hacker. The egg/meatloaf thing and now John Wilkes Booth. At least she didn’t say it in front of others, this time--and if he hadn’t already been so worked up, he would have appreciated that.
And damn, did he look good firing that rifle!
How many sets of Handcuffs? Normally I'd say one, but since he's dressed casually maybe the other two sets are for recreational use. I'd have loved it if they were fur covered. Laughing Oh, and Booth's knowledge on the bullet wound, he actually stumped Brennan, it was SWEEET! Plus, notice how he suggested the recreation to eliminate the victim as JFK, deductive reasoning? Who'd have thunk it from Booth?

Brennan--I would have thought she was as much of a rule-breaker as Cam and Hodgins, and as it turned out, she is, if quieter. And she enjoys being part of some sort of deception, even though she is officially against it--that rattle of scientific jibber-jabber (and how real was some of that, anyway? Did the job, regardless) was a little like being undercover for her. She’s getting better at that, too--it wasn’t as forced as say, when she put the kneecaps on the silver skeleton back in Knight on the Grid. And despite the faux pas of mentioning Booth’s ancestry, she was considerably more sensitive to his needs, especially once Cam explained.
Not only did I LOVE the jibber-jabber, it was amazingly effective. You could see Mr White's brain shutting down as she spoke. Also, I did love the fact that she felt so bad for bringing up JWB when it bothered Booth so. She's improved so much since last season, and even since ANatBM when she realized the Egg story was their story. The real growth in her character is amazing to see.
They’ve kept her lack of knowledge of pop culture in place, but she should have known who Michael Jackson was! My sister (who is younger than Brennan is supposed to be) remembers the “Thriller” video from when it first came out; I’m sure Russ would have watched it and it strikes me as the kind of thing big brother would use to try and freak out little sister with.
And she’s in a dry spell sexually--no wonder she didn’t have a lot of sympathy for Angela before. But maybe that contributed to her seeing Booth in the reconstruction?
Actually I looked at it again in freeze frame and it does look like Booth - an older Booth who's gained weight but still Booth. That said, I don't think it's her dry spell as much as her being in love with Booth so she's projecting her desires. Six of one...

I would say this was classic Booth and Brennan overall--interactions, behavior, skills, etc, with just enough of recent developments.
Agree, totally.

Hodgins--full blown conspiracy mode here and might we add it’s about time! This is Conspiracy Numero Uno, the big one, the main event, and if he hadn’t been neck-deep in it, I would have asked Rob to contact his…people (speaking of conspiracies). Great look on his face as he realized exactly what he was likely to be holding--he loves it, but doesn’t expect to be in the middle of it. And the stuff about secret passages in the Jeffersonian is another plus. Once in a while this info is useful. And he has guts to take on even Booth or mystery men when he truly believes in what he’s saying.
Zapruder!
Outside of all this, on a personal level, he made the sweetest offer any man could make to a woman who dumped him by offering to help Angela with the presumed baby, since Wendell is a lowly grad student who might not be able to materially provide for them. He also states he still loves her. Later, after it comes out that it’s a false positive, he is downright uncomfortable and I think he regrets showing so much of his emotions. I don’t think he lied and he does still feel something, but wishes he hadn’t said so. But there are indications of some new rapport between them…a development I’m not too sure about.
This is why I like Hodgins, why I've liked him since mid season one, he's not Booth, but he aspires to be him in the important ways...or maybe he just is like him in the important ways, and that's why He and Booth seem to click. The man is a stand-up man, and in our world that means something. There aren't a lot of us left, so we gotta give props to those who are still out there.

Cam--torn between concerned mom and worried boss here, something that is happening more and more. Part of the territory, I guess, but this was not a time for divided attention. Good thing Angela confessed before she called Michelle, though, since matters are delicate enough between them as it is. She and Hodgins were a perfect match in defying the Man this episode, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Also worthy of mention is her explaining Booth’s desperate desire to believe in the government to Brennan and Sweets in terms they can grasp. I honestly think Brennan hadn’t quite grasped it up to then, and it certainly shed light on his frustration over the ancestral issue for her. And Cam realizes that, too, based on her parting words to Brennan outside the diner.
Her defense of the team is a truly Cam-moment (“Tell your bosses we don’t do half-truth here.”) and from the beginning that has been her strength.
Cam was fierce here and God I love it when she gets her back up, you can just see her in plain clothes working a case for the NYPD, she's a tough chick and we all know nothing is as sexy as a hot woman kicking ass!

Random Impressions

I liked them all lined up at the counter near the end, while discussing what had just happened. And speaking of line-ups, the ladies covering their ears as Booth takes his shot was pretty nice, too.
What I liked about this was the way they each shared something with each other but also, Booth totally worked those three agents but he gave props to Sweets for setting them up. The duckling has to be proud of that.

Fanfic elements: Booth feeding Brennan because she won’t eat otherwise, the nearly empty lab…I presume it was near end of day, but still. Also Brennan’s current dry spell regarding men and Booth’s past, as well as Sweets not having Booth’s complete file--I’ve seen that in a story or three as well.
This has been the fan-ficciest sease ever, and I gotta think the writers, or HH, have discovered FF, 'cause they're lifting whole plot lines from us now. Rolling Eyes

I loved this episode my Queen, and I gotta say it's the most re-watchable one yet. Ranks up there with "The Woman in the Car" or "The Man in the Morgue" for me - and those are my two favorite S1 episodes.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:19 pm

dawnsfire wrote:We need to stop having problems in tandem, you know that, right?
I will if you will!

Nah, I was sure it was Ange--and that it would be false. Should have made that bet--I could use the cash! Very Happy
Which is why, like Booth, I'm an EX-gambler. If I lose to you I'd feel bad, if I won I'd feel worse. Say, you don't play the ponies do you? Technically I don't consider it gambling since the nearest paramutual betting is in Illinois...it's gambler logic - don't question it.

Yep--another of these vague ones, but somehow it sits a little better than the flashdrive in Bond/Boot--perhaps because it is a classic conspiracy theory?
I think that's it. I mean, this is one of the oldest American conspiracies there is, and so well known that my friends in Oz and EU can talk about it knowledgeably, so yeah, the ending sort of fits better here.

He's been getting quite a bit of man time this season, and often with Sweets and a third party to be named. Last time it was Fisher; this time Booth. Of course I enjoy the latter more than the former. Curious to see how he handles Wendell from here out, speaking of male-bonding--they were doing pretty well until last epi.
I think he'll actually be good with Wendell. They were friends before he and Angela started going out, and they'll be friends again. Hodgins is really working at being the stand-up man and I think he'll find it hard at first, but eventually he and Wendell will be okay.

I know Booth said that, but I must have missed it somehow--where exactly?
When Booth and Sweets are getting the rifle, about 25 minutes in. Oddly enough at the time Booth says that Sweets didn't do anything, because the unit is too professional.

Seeing sniper Booth is pretty cool, and while he was angsty, it was the right kind, and he managed to realize it was somewhat self-serving in time (not that everyone doesn't deserve a chance to wallow). As for the part about "his people," it hasn't been hammered home so hard in a long time (if ever) that they are his team, and you screw with them at your own risk. We knew it, and the team knew it (think last season when Perotta said "my people" and was immediately corrected), but here it was a major theme.
You compared him to Batman earlier--and in true superhero style (maybe not Batman in all of his incarnations), he was witty while confronting the bad guys. Always fun.
Not just witty, he was pithy and even mocking them. Watch those scenes again - nothing any of them does surprises him, nothing they say or do phases him. He knows their playbook as well as they do, that's why I say he's run more than one False Flag operation. Well, that and the fact that during "The Woman in the Car" he flat out says he was once the guy people needed rescuing from (Hence, Booth's history in Gov't service is a dark one, and it's not just because of the sniping).

True. But she didn't lie. It was more of a presentation and emphasis on different facts. So while there was no solid truth here, no matter how hard she looked, she still managed to present something that was just as valid as their main theory (hypothesis?) in deference to his feelings. That sensitivity is certainly worth mentioning. And in other circumstances, I don't doubt that she would lie until her tongue turned black for him. Not to him. Never to him.
Absolutely not, Brennan will do anything for him, and I love the imagery - she WOULD like her tongue black for him - but she'd never lie to him. It's the love baby!

Scene of Note
I have a hard time deciding how serious he's being here...I really think he's hoping Booth will play the modesty card or something and deny it.
I think you've got something there - most likely Hacker meant it, but was blowing smoke hoping to get it reciprocated. Hacker is an operator, I've seen his kind before working DoD contracts, operators can talk they're way into and out of anything, they just can't DO anything of real value. They always end up in management.

Oh, yeah, baby! Great scene! Nothing to add to that assessment.
Nothing to add here either, but I just love that scene so much - c'mon, he practically dislocated Mr White's arm, laid out the second guy, and kicked the third guy right in the chotchkies. Damn I loved that scene.

I bow to your superior knowledge re: the Kennedy assassination. Most informative, and it certainly gives another dimension to this episode.

queen
Never thought my knowledge of the Kennedy assassination would come in handy. Now if they have an episode involving remote viewing or MJ-12? I'm on it baby!

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ddc Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:24 pm

A couple of comments (won't bother copying quotes):

On the Zapruder film not being mentioned - there are all sorts of copyright issues involved with it.

As to Booth having 3 pairs of handcuffs, I just assumed he grabbed extras before he broke into the lab.

As probably one of the few on this board here who remembers that weekend in 1963 (I was in 4th grade) parts of this episode had me remembering the whole thing.

ddc

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thnx4theGum Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:43 am

Once again, you two outdo yourselves!

A few of my own thoughts to throw in the ring:

Well, this one was right up there with Judas for me- and I hold Judas as my gold standard. It bears a few more watchings, but this is one of the first eps this season that was like an onion- so many layers to peel through. Museum was another great one and Goop, well, yeah so much going on there too.

I think I like Bones the most when they strip it down to bare essentials and not having a squintern was really a highlight of this ep because it wasn't about them. To me this showed all of the best qualities of each member and really sold the ensemble nature of Bones. Yeah, it's about B&B at its core, but it's also about Angela being the lab's dramaa queen(I liked her for the first time in a while here), Cam being mama bear both to Michelle and her people("We don't work in half-truths" sums up what we love about Bones), Hodgins being the conspiracy nut AND the most stand-up guy outside of Booth, and Sweets calling Booth for help and getting his hands dirty. (did anyone else think Breakfast Club at some point?)

The case was great. It was a good one for them to sink their teeth into but limited them too because of the content. I love that Booth HAS to get in- not because they're in danger- but because they're HIS people and he's not into sharing. I think my heart's still recovering from him shooting the door AND the sniper shots. He really needs to not hit his head or squeak "Bones" again that way though b/c well, the poor man's head has been through enough hasn't it?

Someone on another site questioned if this was the first time he reached out to hug her for HIS sake? Thoughts?

It remided me of the greeting hug in Fountain so I think he might've NEEDED her touch back then too.

Booth Pathos was in full swing too- I saw Booth struggling with something at a fundamental level and Cam sorting that out for everyone and loved it but that was me.

My favorite shot though was the hero shot at the diner. Again, driving home each person's role in the team- haven't seen that since Alien and I LOVED it!!!

So the proof of Brennan's love was in the pudding- or what she did with it. I really liked that they kept the continuity here 50+ kills is what Booth told GG and obviously Brennan, plus her telling GG that she'd do anything for Booth and now actually DOING it?? Yeah, loved that. Also appreciated the JWB nod. It's something Hart toyed with putting out there first season and I liked seeing it actually come out- and that BRENNAN knew!

The one aspect I really loved was that Booth came around to seeing that he was okay with persuing the truth no matter what it meant for him at the same time Brennan saw the importance of "the kindness of a lie". (Gift of the Magi anyone?) They learned these things from each other and I think it really drives home how much BOTH of them have changed as a result of their partnership. Makes 100 all that more appealing.

Walking arm and arm, fully in-step with the other and bickering about Brain and Heart has got to be one of the best endings ever!

Ok, done rambling!
Gum
pirat
Thnx4theGum
Thnx4theGum
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:22 pm

I wholeheartedly echo Gum's sentiment, you two are amazing, turning out these great reviews on a dime the way you do! Very Happy (Laptops and landlords not withstanding!)

I've read what you both had to say, watched it a few more times, transcribed whole portions, practically memorized the jibber-jabber, and I'm still loving this episode. I am soo glad that the excitement the promo jacked up in us last week didn't end up getting our hopes up too high for the episode to live up to. I agree with everyone else - absolutely wonderful episode. I don't keep rankings, but it's definitely earned Favorite status!

A couple things I wanted to comment on...

king RM wrote:PURE CONJECTURE HERE: At some point in his past, intimated since S1 I might add but now we can almost say for certain, Booth was a Gov't operative. Probably at the end of his Ranger career, prior to or at the start of his FBI career, he was loaned out to State or DOD-MI, but whoever he worked for, he was a spook. Why do I say that? Because only a former spook can hate spooks that much, and Booth knew each and every trick they were going to pull before they did, he knew they're game plan inside and out, that's not being a good agent, that's being an experienced operative.
This is really cool to read! That's a spin on all of this that I would've never had a clue about. BTW, in this context, what's a spook?

Dawn wrote:Fanfic elements: Booth feeding Brennan because she won’t eat otherwise, the nearly empty lab…I presume it was near end of day, but still. Also Brennan’s current dry spell regarding men and Booth’s past, as well as Sweets not having Booth’s complete file--I’ve seen that in a story or three as well.
I like this comparison between the storyline and the fics out there! That's cool to get. I don't get to read nearly enough.
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:04 pm

DBCrazy wrote:
king RM wrote:PURE CONJECTURE HERE: At some point in his past, intimated since S1 I might add but now we can almost say for certain, Booth was a Gov't operative. Probably at the end of his Ranger career, prior to or at the start of his FBI career, he was loaned out to State or DOD-MI, but whoever he worked for, he was a spook. Why do I say that? Because only a former spook can hate spooks that much, and Booth knew each and every trick they were going to pull before they did, he knew they're game plan inside and out, that's not being a good agent, that's being an experienced operative.
This is really cool to read! That's a spin on all of this that I would've never had a clue about. BTW, in this context, what's a spook?
A spook in this sense would be a Covert Operative working in country (in a foreign land) without the knowledge of the local Gov't or official acknowledgement of the US Gov't. Not necessarily a NOC (Spy) - Booth doesn't strike me as the type, he lacks the flexible moral code - but definitely an in-country operator, maybe (given his history as a sniper) working a manhunt operation as either a mechanic or retrieval specialist. Manhunt Operations involve the identification, capture and/or neutralization of a high-value enemy targets. Also given his interrogation skills? I'd wager Booth's got some training in both coercive and non-coercive interrogation techniques. Recall him telling Brennan:

Bones: What took you to Guatemala? Eco-tourism?
Booth: I went down to shoot somebody through the heart from fifteen hundred feet.
This sounds like a he's a mechanic, and since the US hasn't had a military presence in Guatemala since '89 there's not a lot that would bring him there unless he was sent to hit a HVT that was deemed a threat.

Booth: Cause I used to do this kind of work.
Bones: Rescuing people?
Booth: Or being the person they needed to be rescued from.
And here he's obviously talking about being a retrieval specialist, so definitely the man was a covert operative.

Pure speculation of course, but it sure does fit the evidence, like a glove.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:12 pm

It may just be speculation on your part, but you make a very convincing argument! Thanks. Smile
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:21 pm

InkSlinger - Season 5, Episode 13

Now with 100% fewer Spoilers!

The Dentist in the Ditch

Every now and then Bones will go into controvetial territory and sail a middle course. This time the issue is homosexuality, of course it's decidedly less controversial a topic now that it was say, twenty years ago when I was in college, still it flips some folks switches and I'm always waiting for them to paint Booth, the sensible, conservative, traditional hero, as some narrow minded bigot and when they don't I always appreciate the show that much more. Of course Booth's tolerance is center stage on the issue of homosexuality but when it comes to the sex trade...well, not so much. His discovery that Jared's girlfriend was once charged with prostitution sets him down a path that reveals Booth to have a judgmental streak a mile wide, proving that even Booth isn't perfect. Worse, his sudden change in attitude isn't missed by Brennan who presses Booth to explain his sudden change in beliefs.

The Case
Here's a first, the show opens up with two Civil War re-enactors involved in the re-enactment of the Battle of Farmville (in Virginia) when they uncover a body they think is a civil war victim Brennan is called in to investigate. The discovery of titanium screws and reconstructive knee surgery proves the decedent is not a civil war veteran, but a modern man - the Gay football playing dentist Dan Pinard. The suspects include the contractor (Lucas Pickford), the ex-boyfriend (Chris Fife), the hygienist (Grace Bryson), and the closeted Marine (Cyd Zigler). Once a few niggling issues, such as a spider infestation and clinging red clay that encases the bones, are dealt with they get a chance to look at the bones and they soon discover that blunt force trauma from three separate wounds appears to be the cause of death - and yet they can't determine the weapon that actually killed him nor establish sufficient motive among the four principle suspects.

Their initial suspect is contractor, but Pinard owes Pickford money so it doesn't make sense. The ex-boyfriend is ruled out when VNM determines he'd have had to shoot the victim from extreme distance to kill him. Next Booth looks into the hygienist who sued to have Pinard's license revoked, claiming he'd given her Hepatitis, but under pressure she admitted to getting infected from having an affair. Finally they question a rival football player who's also a Marine and a closeted homosexual - he turns out to have been Pinard's lover and his alibi checks out. As if things aren't bad enough Mr Nigel-Murray's trick of boiling the bones in a rhubarb solution to free them of clay also destroyed the surface particulates and it revealed the presence of seed casings that Hodgins was able to prove were the cause of the skull fractures - so blunt force trauma was NOT in fact the cause of death! Stymied, Brennan goes over the remains herself, and it takes her own special touch to discover a nick in the medial malleolus (it's an ankle bone) that indicates the victim was stabbed and bled out. Hodgins determines the murder weapon could be a dental pick so the Partners go back to see thy hygienist who has an alibi, it's then that Brennan notices the paving stones in her yard match those the contractor was using at Pinard's house. Under interrogation Booth gets the contractor to admit that he'd stolen supplies from Pinard to use on other jobs and that the dentist attacked him, threatening to file a complaint that would have cost him his business. In the end Pickford killed Dan the Dentist for a few hundred dollars of stolen paving stones, it was simple greed.

The Characters
There was a lot of character interaction here, a lot to build on and a lot of development that begs dissection so let's begin:

Angela - Her role was much diminished, and mostly she was relegated to doing her AV bit with the skull and the seedlings, and being the voice of reason explaining Booth's motivation as well as what he'd really learned from Brennan - rationalization as a tool to abet bad behavior.

Hodgins - He's definitely missing his friendship with Wendell. Hodgins has never been overly friendly to VNM, and yet this episode he's overly friendly and supportive, bolstering the squintern's confidence in the face of a recalcitrant Dr Brennan.

Cam - Cam's afraid of spiders? Who knew? When not panicking because of the spiders, Cam focused on VNM and Brennan, mostly because Brennan was positively brutal to the squintern - not that I cared, hell, I was cheering her on. Still, Cam's cat herding skills were on display and honestly? The woman does not get paid enough.

Sweets - Small role, but interesting. He's listened to by B&B when it comes to the case, but when Booth or Brennan doesn't want to listen, they shut him down completely. It was almost sad, how easily he accepts being shunted aside when they don't want to deal with him. Poor Sweets.

Vincent Nigel Murray - VNM was this week squintern which of course begs the question - where the hell is Wendell? He's dating Angela but never takes her out for lunch if he's not working with her? WTF? Anyway VNM is a needy little Brennan fanboy and more than just a little creepy about it. Cam does her level best to make sure Brennan isn't cruel to VNM, and VNM is doing his job, but one can't help but get annoyed with the fact spouting Brit's obsequious nature.

Jared Booth - NOT an ass, not only not an ass, but he was a stand up man. Telling Booth to go to hell was exactly the right thing to do. Jared's trip to India was good for him, he's grown up now and standing on his own. He no longer needs his big brother and one can't help but believe his feelings for Padme are genuine and for once I didn't want to see Brennan slap the shit out of him - that's growth.

Booth
I was expecting a throwback to the S4 episode "The He in the She", with Booth being awkward but accepting, and seeing a little personal growth. Instead we got a Booth 2.0 with a dark side. Sure, he has good instincts, but he's also got a judgements streak a mile wide. The same Booth who, during interrogation, manages to take apart a suspect for calling the victim "a fag" has no issues agreeing in theory with the concept "once a sex worker, always a sex worker". Personally I found this episode's Booth to be perfectly in character, and disappointingly so, since his issues with Padme really had nothing to do with her, and everything to do with his problems with Jared. It was a case of Booths personal guilt, his Catholic guilt, and his resentment of his brother playing out and using a third party as the main weapon. Still it was interesting to see the same man who was so understanding and professional in dealing with the murder case of the gay dentist, turn around and act like an ass to his brother and his brother's girlfriend. It was even more interesting that it took Brennan to point out where he went wrong, and she did it so subtlety that it really highlights her own emotional growth. Booth 2.0 has a bug or two, fortunately Brennan is there to fix him.

Brennan
Brennan was a study in contrasts tonight. We saw the focused, analytical, scientist in the forefront of the investigation, and we also saw the more emotional, sensitive woman and partner when it came to Booth. Brennan in the lab was a fearsome creature, not only demanding and exacting, but brusque, even harsh, when it came to dealing with VNM. How in contrast is her behavior to how she's dealt with Wendell recently - like night and day. Last season VNM was one of her favorites because his sheer intellect was most reminiscent of Zack's, and yet now she's obviously shifted away from him and is, as much as she can, favoring Wendell who, despite his impressive intelligence, is personality-wise almost a Booth lite squintern. Evidence to me that VNM fans shouldn't get too comfortable with him hanging around.

When it came to the science Brennan was amazing, her "bone thing" scene was one we've seen in the past and it still works for her, her ability to find that one flaw, one oddity, that breaks the case wide open is what makes her the best at what she does. More to the point though it's seeing how she's improved in Booth's sphere that impresses me most. Brennan has gotten so much better at doing notifications, she was solicitous and supportive, it was really quite good. What was unexpected wasn't how astute she was in detecting Booth's hypocrisy, it was how determined she was to get him to explain why the sudden change in beliefs. It's a furtherance of the whole Brennan 2.0 meme we saw her here as good with hard science, and getting better with emotions. It's the merging of the two that make her a good investigator in her own right and finally ready to move on in her relationship with Booth.

Scene of Note
Brennan and Booth in the SUV, when she pushes him to explain his sudden change in principle that Love doesn't, in fact, conquer all and it's not all that matters, is epic. Her telling him she'll be quiet and give him time to reason it out, is epic. But her admission that his change in process, his abandonment of principles, bothers her enough to make her physically ill? More than epic. It's tantamount to her saying that HE is her world reference point and when his world goes wobbly, she gets the shakes. EPIC.

Jared telling Booth off, doing the right thing? It's a major turning point for him, and for Booth. Booth still doesn't want to admit that Jared is all grown up but he is, and this was him serving notice. Good for Jared, and eventually good for Booth.

Oh COME ON! Brennan's speech to Booth, Jared, and Padme? Brennan 2.0 baby! Her kicking Jared under the table because she was aiming for Booth and missed? Speaking on love, spelling it out for Booth that she's ready, she believes because of him, I mean, what's left for her to do? Rent billboard space? Get a tattoo saying "Seeley, you dope, I'm in love with you?" Dude better man up or there'll be a man down next time, I'm officially AT.MY.LIMIT. Oh, and I loved that scene - so reminiscent of the birthday scene from ConMan and yet this time Jared isn't tainting things. Awesomeness.

Quotable Quotes - The Southern Insurrection Edition
Only one, and it's the best one I can think of, the one that stuck with me:

Brennan: I'd like to make a toast...
Jared: What is this?
Booth: Its her new thing, she likes doing it, she's really good at making toasts. Maybe we should get some champagne though...
Brennan: Jared is an alcholic, Booth.
Jared: No Secrets.
Brennan: When Booth and I first met, I didn't believe such a thing as love existed. I maintained that it was simply brain chemistry. But perhaps Booth is correct. Perhaps love comes first and then creates the reaction. I have no tangible proof but I'm willing to accept Booth's premise.
Booth: To love
All: To love

Fun Facts
The Battle of Farmville, more properly known as The Battle for High Ridge, was largely a draw thought he union did suffer a large number of wounded and prisoners, the confederates were forced to withdraw.

The song playing while Brennan does her "bone thing" going over the skeletal remains was [Only admins are allowed to see this link] by The Bird and the Bee, an indie synth pop band with a definite Riot Grrl sound.

The phrase "short sharp shock" was used in Gilbert and Sullivan's comic opera The Mikado. A play on that phrase "Short Sharp Shocked" was also used by folk artist Michelle Shock for one of her more mediocre albums.

My great, great grandfather, a german immigrant and 48'er, served as a Sergeant in the 97th Illinois and fought in the western theatre.

"Doctor Hibbert" is the same name as the family doctor on the FOX show, The Simpsons.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The GOOD - Brennan as Booth's moral conscious, the woman's come a long way from the rational doctor of Season One.

The BAD - Too much was made of the gay thing. It's not that controversial anymore, Booth's not a Neanderthal, and no one really cares do they?

The UGLY - Booth's behaviour toward Padme and Jared, I saw it coming but I was so disappointed in him for going there.

The case work was solid, the squintern interaction was annoying, but Jared's story was compelling:

Continuity was decent, no major gaffes though I honestly wasn't looking that hard:

Overall watchability? Honestly? It's just not that interesting except for the Booth/Brennan/Jared bits:

This was a great personal growth episode, but a mediocre case and an annoying squintern makes for a forgetable episode.

king RM

Last edited by THX1138 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated Link Information)
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:25 pm

Dentist in the Ditch

Case

Civil War enthusiasts and re-enactors (one from each side of course) find a skeleton, embedded in rock-hard clay. After about three seconds of shock, they conclude they’ve found a fallen soldier and immediately begin to argue which side he was on. Of course, Brennan, once she gets it back to the lab, and Vincent are able to determine that this is a man of the current century, due to indications of knee surgery (titanium screws).

There are a number of oddities on the victim, which lead to easy ID, but cause of death is elusive for most of the episode. He’s a local dentist, incidentally gay, and a player on a football team. Suspects include his former hygienist (who he fired), his handyman, a past lover, and football players on both his own team as well as a rival one (one of whom turns out to be the current lover). The bones are eventually freed of the clay by a rhubarb bath (VNM thinking non-linearly). There are several points of damage, but most can be attributed to football. Marks on his sternum that could have been from an arrow, aren’t. Three places on his forehead that indicate trauma, but coming from the inside. Turns out that is from seeds carried down and embedded in his skull, which then sprouted and acted like tree roots uprooting sidewalks or damaging pipes. Interesting as that was, it still wasn’t cause of death, leading to more frustration. Eventually, they find indications that a major vein--or was it an artery?--was cut and the man bled to death and then his body was dumped. Turns out the handyman was trying to make a little extra money by selling supplies meant for the vic’s house to others--including the hygienist. Blood on the bottom of the tiles in her driveway indicates location and the confession is extracted.

In the middle of all this, Jared Booth comes back from India with a surprise--a girlfriend/fiancée named Padme. Booth finds her “hinky” and runs a background check on her, discovering she’s a former escort (and yes, one of those, with prostitution charges that didn’t stick on her record). Naturally, this doesn’t go as well as he expects. They have a fight, and Brennan is not much help to Booth as he would like as she thinks he’s contradicting his previous stances on things.

Characters

Brennan--quintessential Brennan. Blunt, focused, demanding the truth on even minor levels (her comments to the re-enactors), and apparently inconsiderate in her treatment of Vincent. The tone in her voice was a little different, but that’s much the way she treated all of the interns in their first appearances last season. I thought her a little unfair about the mark from the actual cause of death. He saw it, even if he didn’t know what it meant. He’s still an intern or grad student, and as his employer/professor, is supposed to guide him. Still too close to Zack? But it doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of the season. And in the end, even though she tried to hide it, she did approve of him.
That said, her confusion with Booth’s sudden reversal was good, and her digging for an answer was in character. He’s become her lodestone for matters of the heart and family and no doubt it would make her question a lot, starting with her relationship with Max and Russ, if he had stuck to it. Max would have killed Booth if that had happened.
And she’s definitely turned around on the subject of love and marriage. Fine, yes, her needing a reason in Goop and her well-qualified toast tonight are not exactly ringing endorsements, but for her--they represent a major reversal. And I hope Booth noticed.
Nice to see her still working in the lab, that deep absorption. I think it wasn’t that she didn’t want help, I’m not entirely sure she knew VNM was outside.

Booth--still the over-protective big brother. So locked into that mode, he’s not listening to anything anyone else is saying, including Brennan’s understandable confusion about why he seems to be backing away from some very long-held beliefs on love, family, and forgiveness. It takes her laying it out in plain English, making the comparison between her/Max and Jared/Padme and what he told her then and what he’s saying now, to make him think. He still struggles with it at the end, because it’s closer to him (his brother), but I think he’ll manage to overcome it.
He may not be a prude, but there is something about the profession of prostitution that gets under his skin. You can see it even back in S2, when he complains they came to Vegas on “the word of a prostitute,” not to mention his fury at pimps and johns (Girl in a Mask). We’ve seen bookies, loan sharks, assorted murderers, etc etc, but they don’t seem to get his back up quite so far--or even automatically.
Otherwise, his casework was solid, and I do love the man in semi-casual!

They are definitely rubbing off on each other. He’s trying to be rational and all, and his emotions are unfocused until she asks the right question.

Cam--now we know why she screamed in the promo…she hates spiders. And honestly, given the numbers that came out--I’d probably have screamed too and teleported to the far side of the platform as well, if not off it. And loved her itchy reaction, too--very normal, which of course is not normal in the lab, generally speaking. We just need Angela to scream this season--though I wouldn’t say no to one of the men doing so. Once past the spider thing, she keeps the lab running smoothly, even to accepting the blame since the original cut would have been flesh-related, which is her territory, of course. She’s been good to the interns all along (except for once or twice--and Daisy).
Minor costuming--blue dress was nice on her, but that white shirt was a size or two too small.

Angela--minimized role tonight. She doesn’t actually appear until more than 30 minutes in and it’s for a talk on love and Jared and Padme. She does run some scenarios so Brennan can see how innocent periwinkles cracked open the vic’s skull from the inside, and is miffed when Brennan slights her intelligence. Unlike some of the younger characters, though, she is not shy about claiming her piece of acclaim? Praise? Attention?

Hodgins--worked his plant and bug routine, dodging most questions about cause of death. He works pretty well with the interns now and is up for experiments, even ones not initiated by himself. Somehow, that avoidance is vaguely reminiscent of when he and Goodman tried to push Zack along back in S1, but less aggressive. His cheerful mask is up and I’m not good enough to see underneath.

Vincent--I don’t recall him being quite so needy for Brennan’s approval before. He seems the type who might want it, though, but perhaps we should have seen it sooner? Maybe he just hit the point where he starts muttering passive-aggressively under his breath. “Jumpy little brain” is a decent description, and when it comes to thinking outside the box, he has an advantage.
I have heard that the actor got a full time gig on another show, so his nerves and Brennan’s sudden coolness may be the lead-up to him leaving Bones. I haven’t heard that he will, but this seems like a good way to ease the character out if necessary.

Jared--he learned a few things while in India. Sounds like he had a good trip, climbing, elephants, beating up muggers, and all that. To me, he seems like he’s more comfortable in his own skin, his role as Seeley Booth’s little brother, and their confrontation is more focused. Not as much lashing out at big brother for everything, just for things connected to the issue at hand. They’re never going to be peaceable for long periods, but can develop a better relationship if they want, and I would say they’re both willing. Much more likable this time around.

Sweets--another one who comes in late, but he has a more substantial role than Angela, though mostly as a sounding board on both professional and personal issues. They haven’t dodged issues in front of him quite like that in a while. And he, like VNM, is craving approval or at least appreciation from them.

Random Impressions

Interesting that no one squawked too loudly about red bones, considering the reaction about green ones earlier this season.

The Booth brothers are on better terms from the minute Jared walks in the door until Booth lets it slip that he had a background check run on Padme. And even then, it’s not a drag-down fight, as I mentioned above. Jared’s matured and Seeley has to adjust. When Booth wonders why everyone thinks he overstepped his bounds, he doesn’t see that he violated her (their?) privacy. That is one of Jared’s issues--the other is big brother’s lack of trust. But in standing his ground, he takes a page from Booth:
You would say exactly what I’m going to say. Go to Hell.
Little more insight into their youth, too--the rat/puppy confusion (and that’s got to be a heck of a story) and the joke about Jared learning how to hotwire cars and steal cable from Booth. Which was not corrected or denied. Hmmm…

The toast echoed Con Man slightly, if only because Jared was there and Brennan does not give traditional-style toasts.

As for Padme herself, she wasn’t on screen long enough to get a really good grip on her personality, but she seems nice enough, supportive of Jared. And they’ve told each other all the questionable parts of their pasts. “No secrets.” Where have we heard these words before? Though it’s likely truer for them than B&B right now (who are also holding secrets about their respective pasts).
Spoiler:

And speaking of relationships, in the beginning of this season, the cases provided the opportunity for all these little zingers aimed at B&B; here, when relationships are such a major part (Jared & Padme, Dan & his former and current partner), there are none, except maybe for the no secrets line. But Jared wouldn’t know they’ve said that, so that was for us. And nothing about Angela and Wendell. Well, that would be too much.

And speaking of relationships--should probably touch briefly on the gay issue. Thought it was handled well, including Brennan's agreeing that it wasn't fair for them not to have the option of a civil union or marriage (fits her character, despite previous disdain for archaic rituals), and the vic’s current lover--Ziegler?--his realizing how he really felt seemed quite real to me, based on what I’ve read. And perhaps the proper level of defensiveness among some of the others too, used to the rest of the world's preconceptions. I suspect Booth, despite his aunt, may fall to some of those (at least in terms of football), but Brennan took it all in stride. When the one suspect said that gay guys hunt too, I didn’t think that was what was in her head--that was a little too calculating. She was considering how well he could use it, or even possibly remembering the days when she had hunting licenses in several states.

Fanfic? Brennan asking if Booth’s done background checks on her dates (if you do that sort of thing for people you care about). There’s been a wide assumption among us, the audience, that he has, bolstered when he told her he knew things about Hacker that a good little subordinate shouldn’t.

Good
Like I say, nice work with the Brothers Booth and Brennan’s confusion.

Bad/Questionable
They’re giving me less to complain about, but I did wonder when they went into the victim’s house and found the handyman watching TV--his reaction was peculiar to me. “I have permission to be here?” (words to that effect) Who says that to a man pointing a gun at you? Shouldn’t matter if he’s dressed in a suit--if there’s no uniform or visible badge (which I couldn’t tell), is that a likely reaction?

Ugly
Zip here today. Even the spiders don’t quite make it…

Enjoyed the ep, fairly solid case work, some good character development, but not quite as good as last week’s, so…

[Only admins are allowed to see this image] and three quarters!

Anyone notice that Brennan’s driving Booth in the promo for next week?

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by Thnx4theGum Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:15 pm

Enjoyed the recaps as always and my one little note before dragging myself away from the second greatest Brennan toast since Con Man(in which she references their first meeting, ain't that a coinky-dink?) and going to bed:

The "Go to Hell" was, indeed, what comaSeeley told comaJared to do when comaJared was questioning comaBren's faithfulness or lack thereof. ComaSeeley took a swing, though Wink It all comes back to the End in the Beginnning!

More some other time....
Thnx4theGum
Thnx4theGum
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:18 pm

dawnsfire wrote:Characters

Brennan--quintessential Brennan. Blunt, focused, demanding the truth on even minor levels (her comments to the re-enactors), and apparently inconsiderate in her treatment of Vincent. The tone in her voice was a little different, but that’s much the way she treated all of the interns in their first appearances last season. I thought her a little unfair about the mark from the actual cause of death. He saw it, even if he didn’t know what it meant. He’s still an intern or grad student, and as his employer/professor, is supposed to guide him. Still too close to Zack? But it doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of the season. And in the end, even though she tried to hide it, she did approve of him.
I agree that it's probably a way of phazing him out. She was actually rather brusque toward him and only thawed when pushed to do so by Cam. Contrast that with her behaviour toward Wendell, which is not only solicitous but supportive, and it's clear she's got favorites. Daisy has made it back into the fold and even gotten more praise than VNM. Aroosto and Fischer (I'm spelling it that way 'cause damnit, that's the way ti should be spelled!) were treated with disinterest which is a step up from the almost dismissive manner in which VNM was handled, and I found his neediness to be more than a bit annoying.

That said, her confusion with Booth’s sudden reversal was good, and her digging for an answer was in character. He’s become her lodestone for matters of the heart and family and no doubt it would make her question a lot, starting with her relationship with Max and Russ, if he had stuck to it. Max would have killed Booth if that had happened.
Her confusion about Booth's reversal was great! And you're spot on, Brennan has absorbed so much of Booth's philosophy on love, life, and family that she truly is his lodestone for those issues now. She doesn't hesitate to call him on it when he's acting hinky (love that word) and lets be honest, the whole kick under the table was pretty funny.

And she’s definitely turned around on the subject of love and marriage. Fine, yes, her needing a reason in Goop and her well-qualified toast tonight are not exactly ringing endorsements, but for her--they represent a major reversal. And I hope Booth noticed.
Nice to see her still working in the lab, that deep absorption. I think it wasn’t that she didn’t want help, I’m not entirely sure she knew VNM was outside.
I'd go one step forward. Brennan's not good at subtle, but she's not as bad as many think either - like Booth and his playing dumb, she pretends to some extent because we've seen in the past she can act in the oblique, and she did here tonight. She's crediting Booth with changing her mind about love - seriously, that's huge for her. Two weeks ago it was "I need a reason" instead of "archaic institution" now it's "I don't have hard evidence but I accept his conclusion". For a woman as grounded in reason and science as her, that's a ringing endorsement. Way huge.

Booth--still the over-protective big brother. So locked into that mode, he’s not listening to anything anyone else is saying, including Brennan’s understandable confusion about why he seems to be backing away from some very long-held beliefs on love, family, and forgiveness. It takes her laying it out in plain English, making the comparison between her/Max and Jared/Padme and what he told her then and what he’s saying now, to make him think. He still struggles with it at the end, because it’s closer to him (his brother), but I think he’ll manage to overcome it.
He is still locked into that mode, and it's not just because he spent a lot of his life as the over protective big brother, it's because a large part of him resents Jared for having used and abused his good nature for years, and now, even though he's sober and growing up, Booth feels a degree of resentment that some how Jared's skating again without having to do the heavy lifting. Jared's right, if their roles were reversed Booth would have told him to fuck off or worse, but because Booth always bore the brunt for them both, because he always took the hit, paid the bill, bailed him out, he feels that Jared should have to suffer - trust me, it's a brother thing. I felt the same way about mine for three years. In the end I decided it'd be easier to just pull the plug on his death bed...I mean get over it.

He may not be a prude, but there is something about the profession of prostitution that gets under his skin. You can see it even back in S2, when he complains they came to Vegas on “the word of a prostitute,” not to mention his fury at pimps and johns (Girl in a Mask). We’ve seen bookies, loan sharks, assorted murderers, etc etc, but they don’t seem to get his back up quite so far--or even automatically.
I get where you're coming from, but I think you miss the mark - I can explain. When I was in college I found out an ex of mine, through no fault of her own, was reduced to prostitution. She worked two jobs and couldn't pay the bills, hooking was the only way she could make the money to pay for both rent and school. I found out when I ran into her outside a club - it's not something you forget, finding out a girl you used to date is hooking. Anyway, Booth and I have very, very similar outlooks on a lot of things and I'm pretty sure his issue with prostitution on the low end isn't the girls, it's that he feels they've been forced into that life - he hates what they do, not them. Likewise his comment in Vegas wasn't neccessarily derogatory as much as it was a factual statement that the word of a prostitute isn't going to cary weight in a case like the one they were dealing with. Yes, he was dismissive, but Brennan's umbrage was largely misplaced IMO. It becomes more clear when you see how harshly he treats pimps - pimps are exploiters, he hates them for the things they do to the women, for what they represent - meanwhile the one case they had with a madame, he was polite and respectful to her - call girls aren't happy in the life, but they don't face the same problems as hookers. I think if he'd met Padme on his own he'd have liked her just fine. Her past has nothing to do with his behaviour, his past with Jared was what that was all about.

Jared--he learned a few things while in India. Sounds like he had a good trip, climbing, elephants, beating up muggers, and all that. To me, he seems like he’s more comfortable in his own skin, his role as Seeley Booth’s little brother, and their confrontation is more focused. Not as much lashing out at big brother for everything, just for things connected to the issue at hand. They’re never going to be peaceable for long periods, but can develop a better relationship if they want, and I would say they’re both willing. Much more likable this time around.
Much, much more likeable. This Jared could have given Booth a run for his money with Brennan had they met last year, so Booth's lucky that he found somoene else, that and the fact that Brennan's still not really comfortable with him.

Random Impressions

Interesting that no one squawked too loudly about red bones, considering the reaction about green ones earlier this season.
Well I figure that's because the red bones were easily explained by the chemical reaction in the soil, while the green bones were a mystery for most of the show.

The Booth brothers are on better terms from the minute Jared walks in the door until Booth lets it slip that he had a background check run on Padme. And even then, it’s not a drag-down fight, as I mentioned above. Jared’s matured and Seeley has to adjust. When Booth wonders why everyone thinks he overstepped his bounds, he doesn’t see that he violated her (their?) privacy. That is one of Jared’s issues--the other is big brother’s lack of trust. But in standing his ground, he takes a page from Booth:
Little more insight into their youth, too--the rat/puppy confusion (and that’s got to be a heck of a story) and the joke about Jared learning how to hotwire cars and steal cable from Booth. Which was not corrected or denied. Hmmm…
It was interesting to get more insight into the boys background, and a good Catholic boy like Booth? yeah, he was probably stealing sacramental wine too - it's always the hell raisers that grow up to be good boys.

The toast echoed Con Man slightly, if only because Jared was there and Brennan does not give traditional-style toasts.
It did echo the ConMan toast, I think we'll always get some ConMan vibe with Jared and Brennan, at least I hope so - it's one of my favorite episodes.

As for Padme herself, she wasn’t on screen long enough to get a really good grip on her personality, but she seems nice enough, supportive of Jared. And they’ve told each other all the questionable parts of their pasts. “No secrets.” Where have we heard these words before? Though it’s likely truer for them than B&B right now (who are also holding secrets about their respective pasts).
Spoiler:
And speaking of relationships, in the beginning of this season, the cases provided the opportunity for all these little zingers aimed at B&B; here, when relationships are such a major part (Jared & Padme, Dan & his former and current partner), there are none, except maybe for the no secrets line. But Jared wouldn’t know they’ve said that, so that was for us. And nothing about Angela and Wendell. Well, that would be too much.
The interesting thing here is what secrets they share - Jared's are going to be fairly run of the mill, as are Padme's I'd think. Jared was never held prisoner and tortured, Padme was never thrown in a dirt floored cell or locked in the trunk of a car. I think the secrets B&B aren't sharing are the ones that they most want to forget themselves.

And speaking of relationships--should probably touch briefly on the gay issue. Thought it was handled well, including Brennan's agreeing that it wasn't fair for them not to have the option of a civil union or marriage (fits her character, despite previous disdain for archaic rituals), and the vic’s current lover--Ziegler?--his realizing how he really felt seemed quite real to me, based on what I’ve read. And perhaps the proper level of defensiveness among some of the others too, used to the rest of the world's preconceptions. I suspect Booth, despite his aunt, may fall to some of those (at least in terms of football), but Brennan took it all in stride. When the one suspect said that gay guys hunt too, I didn’t think that was what was in her head--that was a little too calculating. She was considering how well he could use it, or even possibly remembering the days when she had hunting licenses in several states.
not just too calculating, it's the sort of pre-emptive comment I've come to expect from aggrieved gays when they think they've got you figured out. In reality I thought the gay issue was handled so well it really wasn't even an issue. As you point out the reactions of the effected parties seemed in-line with what I've seen myself among my gay friends, and I found Booth's reaction (re:football) to be inline with the preconception so many "tolerant" people have when dealing with someone like Booth. The assumption that he'd automatically have to be a bigot is bound to get his defenses up and it's something he dealt with in S4 when Angela needled him over Roxy.

Fanfic? Brennan asking if Booth’s done background checks on her dates (if you do that sort of thing for people you care about). There’s been a wide assumption among us, the audience, that he has, bolstered when he told her he knew things about Hacker that a good little subordinate shouldn’t.
I'm sure he actually did it to Brennan at least once - we know he did it to Rebecca.

Good
Like I say, nice work with the Brothers Booth and Brennan’s confusion.

Bad/Questionable
They’re giving me less to complain about, but I did wonder when they went into the victim’s house and found the handyman watching TV--his reaction was peculiar to me. “I have permission to be here?” (words to that effect) Who says that to a man pointing a gun at you? Shouldn't matter if he’s dressed in a suit--if there’s no uniform or visible badge (which I couldn't tell), is that a likely reaction?

Ugly
Zip here today. Even the spiders don't quite make it…

Enjoyed the ep, fairly solid case work, some good character development, but not quite as good as last week’s, so…

[Only admins are allowed to see this image] and three quarters!

Anyone notice that Brennan’s driving Booth in the promo for next week?

queen
We were in almost total agreement this time, and really there wasn't that much I'd change about this one it just wasn't that memorable an episode for me. Loved the speech at the end though. THat I'll remember for a long, long while.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:18 pm

Thnx4theGum wrote:Enjoyed the recaps as always and my one little note before dragging myself away from the second greatest Brennan toast since Con Man(in which she references their first meeting, ain't that a coinky-dink?) and going to bed:

The "Go to Hell" was, indeed, what comaSeeley told comaJared to do when comaJared was questioning comaBren's faithfulness or lack thereof. ComaSeeley took a swing, though Wink It all comes back to the End in the Beginnning!

More some other time....

VERRRYYYY good point!!! You should post this in the "End In The Beginning=This Season" thread in Spoilers, Baby!

Last edited by Meegs82 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4106
Say What You Want : Dancing Phalanges! Dancing Phalanges!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:21 pm

Rob, as for your Inkslinger, I agree with almost everything including bowing to you on the Brennan 2.0 discussion. She most certainly surpassed 1.75 with her toast.

The ONLY thing I don't agree with you on is that it's a forgettable episode. Was the casework lacking? Absolutely. But I think that the character growth and interactions MORE than make up for the case. Totally UN-forgettable and some of THE most important developments between our dynamic duo this season. Especially with Brennan as mentioned above in the 2.0 comment Smile
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:24 pm

Meegs82 wrote:Rob, as for your Inkslinger, I agree with almost everything including bowing to you on the Brennan 2.0 discussion. She most certainly surpassed 1.75 with her toast.

The ONLY thing I don't agree with you on is that it's a forgettable episode. Was the casework lacking? Absolutely. But I think that the character growth and interactions MORE than make up for the case. Totally UN-forgettable and some of THE most important developments between our dynamic duo this season. Especially with Brennan as mentioned above in the 2.0 comment Smile
I'll amend my statement - it's a forgetable case, but the personal growth and the shift in the B&B dynamic is worth watching again and again - I know I've skipped over large sections of the 'case' to get to the scenes with Jared and Booth, and Brennan and Booth - and I've watched the ending about a dozen times so far. That part is TOTALLY memorable.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:27 pm

THX1138 wrote:
Meegs82 wrote:Rob, as for your Inkslinger, I agree with almost everything including bowing to you on the Brennan 2.0 discussion. She most certainly surpassed 1.75 with her toast.

I'll amend my statement - it's a forgetable case, but the personal growth and the shift in the B&B dynamic is worth watching again and again - I know I've skipped over large sections of the 'case' to get to the scenes with Jared and Booth, and Brennan and Booth - and I've watched the ending about a dozen times so far. That part is TOTALLY memorable.

king RM

Exactly what I was thinking. Wink
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:40 pm

Meegs82 wrote:
THX1138 wrote:

king RM

Exactly what I was thinking. Wink
Heh, well when you're right, you're right!Besides this face:

I can watch that again and again and again.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:35 pm

THX1138 wrote:
dawnsfire wrote:That said, her confusion with Booth’s sudden reversal was good, and her digging for an answer was in character. He’s become her lodestone for matters of the heart and family and no doubt it would make her question a lot, starting with her relationship with Max and Russ, if he had stuck to it. Max would have killed Booth if that had happened.
Her confusion about Booth's reversal was great! And you're spot on, Brennan has absorbed so much of Booth's philosophy on love, life, and family that she truly is his lodestone for those issues now. She doesn't hesitate to call him on it when he's acting hinky (love that word) and lets be honest, the whole kick under the table was pretty funny.
It was. Laughing

He is still locked into that mode, and it's not just because he spent a lot of his life as the over protective big brother, it's because a large part of him resents Jared for having used and abused his good nature for years, and now, even though he's sober and growing up, Booth feels a degree of resentment that some how Jared's skating again without having to do the heavy lifting. Jared's right, if their roles were reversed Booth would have told him to fuck off or worse, but because Booth always bore the brunt for them both, because he always took the hit, paid the bill, bailed him out, he feels that Jared should have to suffer - trust me, it's a brother thing. I felt the same way about mine for three years. In the end I decided it'd be easier to just pull the plug on his death bed...I mean get over it.
Hadn't thought of it that way, but yeah, I can understand that. Of course, if Jared had any difficulty in overcoming his addiction, Booth wasn't there to see it, between prison and then India. And even then, I suppose, he still might not feel it was enough.

I get where you're coming from, but I think you miss the mark - I can explain. When I was in college I found out an ex of mine, through no fault of her own, was reduced to prostitution. She worked two jobs and couldn't pay the bills, hooking was the only way she could make the money to pay for both rent and school. I found out when I ran into her outside a club - it's not something you forget, finding out a girl you used to date is hooking. Anyway, Booth and I have very, very similar outlooks on a lot of things and I'm pretty sure his issue with prostitution on the low end isn't the girls, it's that he feels they've been forced into that life - he hates what they do, not them. Likewise his comment in Vegas wasn't neccessarily derogatory as much as it was a factual statement that the word of a prostitute isn't going to cary weight in a case like the one they were dealing with. Yes, he was dismissive, but Brennan's umbrage was largely misplaced IMO. It becomes more clear when you see how harshly he treats pimps - pimps are exploiters, he hates them for the things they do to the women, for what they represent - meanwhile the one case they had with a madame, he was polite and respectful to her - call girls aren't happy in the life, but they don't face the same problems as hookers. I think if he'd met Padme on his own he'd have liked her just fine. Her past has nothing to do with his behaviour, his past with Jared was what that was all about.
I forgot about the LA case! Anyway, I didn't mean exactly that he had a problem with the individual girl--but I don't know if I can explain any better. I guess I just heard the same note in his voice that Brennan did that time in Vegas. Of course the issue with pimps and johns is the exploitation factor, no question there. And he can be such a chameleon at times...

It was interesting to get more insight into the boys background, and a good Catholic boy like Booth? yeah, he was probably stealing sacramental wine too - it's always the hell raisers that grow up to be good boys.
I will say some of my fellow inmates--er, classmates in high school (nice Catholic one, too) had an interesting reputation as bigger troublemakers than the public school kids in the county. No idea what they're like now...

Spoiler:
The interesting thing here is what secrets they share - Jared's are going to be fairly run of the mill, as are Padme's I'd think. Jared was never held prisoner and tortured, Padme was never thrown in a dirt floored cell or locked in the trunk of a car. I think the secrets B&B aren't sharing are the ones that they most want to forget themselves.
It's all relative--I surely wouldn't want to share Jared and Padme's secrets if they were mine with someone. At least not right away. On the other hand, they admit they're in love, even after such a short time (something else that was bothering Booth on some level). That said, you're probably right about B&B wanting to forget those things, and once they're shared--there's no going back, no pretending they didn't happen.

not just too calculating, it's the sort of pre-emptive comment I've come to expect from aggrieved gays when they think they've got you figured out. In reality I thought the gay issue was handled so well it really wasn't even an issue. As you point out the reactions of the effected parties seemed in-line with what I've seen myself among my gay friends, and I found Booth's reaction (re:football) to be inline with the preconception so many "tolerant" people have when dealing with someone like Booth. The assumption that he'd automatically have to be a bigot is bound to get his defenses up and it's something he dealt with in S4 when Angela needled him over Roxy.
I meant to say her look was too calculating for her to be thinking that (brain burp). And the pre-emptive--that's what I meant by noting how defensive they were.

I'm sure he actually did it to Brennan at least once - we know he did it to Rebecca.
True. I don't rewatch the Rebecca ones very often, but she did accuse him of that, didn't she? Truth in the Lye?

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next