Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown!

+35
recoveringbonesaddict
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
SJB
flyersfan35
heirofloki
MI_Bonesgirl
crzy4bones
Lyanna Stark
a_rangergrl2
jjrobinson73
empiricist
tinkrella
Meegs82
ddc
agnerka81
treble21
anteater
BonesInOz
BrainySmurf0302
Shelly
queen bess
sera
bones206
Thnx4theGum
sadhbh
Bella Loony
A2BOREANAZ
jonezn4Bones
dawnsfire
G
SnoopGirl
RGPageantqueen
THX1138
Turi ray of sunshine
DBCrazy
39 posters

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown! - Page 9 Empty Re: The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown!

Post by dawnsfire Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:15 pm

What struck me about the Angela and the head scene was when did that fall into her purview? Before, it's always been a case of her waiting for the forensic anthropologist, be it Brennan, Zack, or Squintern, applying the tissue markers. Sort of came out of nowhere. In RL, would someone in her position do that and they finally decided to correct it? You're right, though--it was a nicely shot scene.

And I think I do remember the bomber you refer to...vaguely.

THX1138 wrote:
DBCrazy wrote:And that's a couple times now you've referred to a budding bromance with Booth. Keep it up and you just might make Emily jealous. (I've been meaning to ask a question. How come we all get a shot at Booth, but you get quality time with Emily? We get the character and you get the actress?? What do you think, Dawn?)
First, Em never has to worry - she'll always come first in my books. Second, well, it's David I mean the guys a man's man - John Wayne is gone, I gotta get my Bromance where I can. Oh, and you're comment re: Brennan/Emily is noted. You can tack on another 7min with David (that's 14 all told, 7 with David and 7 with Booth) and um, I'll take some quality time with Brennan as well. See, I'm flexible and when you're right you're right - Brennan should have at least as much of my time as Emily.
I repeat, you get the same amount of time with Emily/Brennan as I do with David/Booth. *smiles sweetly*

And I love the Rudolphs!!! rendeer

G'night!
I'm looking for a drunken smiley for New Years so if you run across one, or maybe a baby new year smiley, let me know.
Are we going to have a chance to use them? Next ep is a week or two after New Year's, depending on who you believe.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown! - Page 9 Empty Re: The Inkslingers - The Season 5 Showdown!

Post by DBCrazy Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Well, you fashionable queen you, there won't be a chance to use the baby New Year icon to rate an episode, but who knows what he might want to use it for instead!

Thanks for the concession on the breaks in the case, my king but I wasn't saying I was right, I was just remembering another part of it. And something I forgot last night at the very late hour - I enjoyed your Dr. Seuss rhyme. It set the mood perfectly!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:33 pm

dawnsfire wrote:What struck me about the Angela and the head scene was when did that fall into her purview? Before, it's always been a case of her waiting for the forensic anthropologist, be it Brennan, Zack, or Squintern, applying the tissue markers. Sort of came out of nowhere. In RL, would someone in her position do that and they finally decided to correct it? You're right, though--it was a nicely shot scene.

queen

Some random thoughts about that scene, It was a beautiful scene, both the music and the camera work were wonderful, but the first thing I thought was that Angela has never put tissue markers on a skull before, kinda detracted from the scene for me the first time I watched it. I don't understand why they didn't just have Daisy pass her the skull with the markers already on it and just do the montage of her sculpting the face?
I suppose that could be part of a real forensic artists job and they decided to correct it , But if that's the case why wait 5 years to correct it?
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:04 pm

treble21 wrote:
dawnsfire wrote:What struck me about the Angela and the head scene was when did that fall into her purview? Before, it's always been a case of her waiting for the forensic anthropologist, be it Brennan, Zack, or Squintern, applying the tissue markers. Sort of came out of nowhere. In RL, would someone in her position do that and they finally decided to correct it? You're right, though--it was a nicely shot scene.

queen

Some random thoughts about that scene, It was a beautiful scene, both the music and the camera work were wonderful, but the first thing I thought was that Angela has never put tissue markers on a skull before, kinda detracted from the scene for me the first time I watched it. I don't understand why they didn't just have Daisy pass her the skull with the markers already on it and just do the montage of her sculpting the face?
I suppose that could be part of a real forensic artists job and they decided to correct it , But if that's the case why wait 5 years to correct it?
Exactly so, on all counts.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:49 pm

dawnsfire wrote:
treble21 wrote:

queen

queen
Actually, to jump on the Queen's band wagon, why correct it at all if thats the case - I mean they spent FOUR years and what, nine episodes with things the way they are, a little late to be changing horses in mid stream isn't it?

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by agnerka81 Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:15 am

THX1138 wrote:
dawnsfire wrote:
treble21 wrote:

queen

queen
Actually, to jump on the Queen's band wagon, why correct it at all if thats the case - I mean they spent FOUR years and what, nine episodes with things the way they are, a little late to be changing horses in mid stream isn't it?

king RM

I'm looking at it as a way to have Angela's character have some growth...the Angelatron is new, her putting markers on and do the clay is new....perhaps she is exploring her art in the context of her job at the Jeffersonian? Anywho thats my take on it...though I do tend to gloss the things that don't really make sense over so that I can continue to enjoy my 45ish minutes with the show Smile
agnerka81
agnerka81
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 144
Say What You Want : This is my obsession, BONES, as far as obsessions go its not that bad...right?
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:21 am

Yeah, that's my usual way until I started getting paid the big bucks (ha ha) to analyze the heck out of every episode. Ususally didn't start to catch discrepancies until later viewings. I've been ruined! (and there was never a nicer way, either)

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:06 pm

InkSlinger - Season 5, Episode 11

Now with 100% fewer Spoilers!

The X in the File

After a long, one month hiatus covering the Christmas holidays we're back baby, and with a long awaited X-Files theemed episode. Though there was plenty of homage to Roswell, nods to the X-Filres, and plenty of alien fun, I really wanted more X-Files influence. I would have loved for a second FBI agent or Military Intelligence agent to have been in this one with an unstated goal of covering up what they thought might be an extra terrestrial find. Something, anything, to get the real sense of conspiracy that the X-Files had. Oh, and not a single Mulder and Scully reference? Pshaw HH, you can do better.
Anyway, on with the review...

The Case
Remains are found by Marvin Breekman who looks like he's hunting aliens who's lying to his wife about being in Florida when he's really in Roswell NM. The body is that of Ursula Lapine, a local who's known to frequent the Space Place cafe and was looking to get rich from finding proof of UFO's. The partner's case is complicated by the diminutive presence of Sheriff Jerry Bonds who refuses to allow the remains to be sent back to the Jeffersonian, though he welcomes their help in solving the case. The body is petrified, the flesh converted to adipocere, and since the remains can't be shipped back Brennan is forced to do the autopsy herself! Eventually it's discovered that the vic, Ursula, had video of an illegal toxic waste dump that she thought was proof of alien life. She was killed by the cafe owner, Blaine Miller, who wanted the video so he could black mail the executive, Marsha Vinton, for pay off to keep the secret of the toxic dump just that, a secret.

The Characters
There was a lot of character interaction here, a lot to build on and a lot of development that begs dissection so let's begin:

Angela - Angela was in her element as a compu-geek, but most of this story involved her with Wendell. She's really into him, which should come as no surprise since she told sweets once that she's loved everyone (man or woman) she's ever had a real relationship with. I'd be willing to bet that for Angie, this thing with Wendell isn't a fun romp in the sack, I'm not sure Wendell's convinced they're going to be a long term item though. Oh, and that scene with Angela and Wendell at the No-Tell Motel - was it just me or should the background track have been "Hot for Teacher"?

Hodgins - Poor Jack. On the science side he's solid, in fact he helped pinpoint the location that gave them the motive for Ursula's murder. On the non-science side, the poor bastard had his heart ripped out again, and I can't see him ever giving another shot to Angela now - why would he?

Cam - Perfect as always. Her talking Brennan through the autopsy was interesting and shows her skill as both a pathologist as well as a teacher - instructing someone like Brennan cannot be the easiest thing in the world. Also we got a little more on Cam, her ability to speak some Spanish, her history as a cop, and I think we can see some foreshadowing of her and Hodgins getting closer now, what with him feeling estranged from both Angela and Wendell.

Wendell - He's long been my favorite squintern, and this is why - he encompasses the best aspects of the squints in his intelligence and devotion to science, and the best aspects of the 'regular guy' (Booth-guy) in his determination to do the right thing, tell Hodgins, and make his relationship with Angela public. I do think, though, that he's coming to the conclusion that he and Angie aren't in it for the long haul. I now wonder who's going to get heart broken, and I'm betting it isn't him.

Sweets - Sweets was interesting, he's thoroughly integrated into the team now and it no longer feels like he's intruding when he helps out. Still, he feels the need to help his 'family' and that scene at the diner? Even though he Wendell's ages, it felt like he was the adult and they were the kids - you could hear the scolding tone in his voice. Plus his talk with Hodgins? Excellent advice and exactly what Jack needed to hear.

Booth
Booth's a believer? Hmm, don't know if I really buy that. In my experience folks who are devoutly religious are less open to believing in UFOs, and vice versa. Still, it doesn't mean they can't believe - I guess I just never saw Booth as a UFO guy. Other than that Booth was great as a cop this episode and it was a nice surprise to see him flex his forensic muscles. Using charcoal to bond to skin oil and lift a print from a rough surface with tape? Straight out of forensic tech 101 - I know, I've done it - and it's nice for them to show Booth doing something other than making intuitive "gut" calls. He is still leagues ahead of anyone else on figuring out motive, winnowing through suspect lists, and figuring out what doesn't fit - like the ball bearings - it's nice to see him use real cop skills as well.

Also we got the sense of how settled Booth is now, he's back to 100%, at least in all the important ways, and in some ways he's grown even more sure of himself - can anyone imagine a S4 Booth working that well with the pushy sheriff? I can't. Yes, he did in S1, but S4 Booth was a real control freak, here he was quite adept at adapting to the change in the situation which impressed me. His interaction with Brennan was largely fluff free, in fact it had a 'best friends' feel to it, until the very end when we got our nice dose of fluff with a side of fluff and some fluff to finish it off. His proposal that aliens visiting us could be anthropologists was a nice way for him to tease Brennan, and the laughs he elicits are like gold.

Brennan
Brennan was incredible here, not only did we get to see her fully immersed in the forensic science element again, something that's happening more often this season, but we find out that her aversion to flesh doesn't translate to an inability to adapt and work with it. We saw this last season when she was working on the vic from "The Passenger in the Oven". Still it's always good to see stretch herself, and the joyful look when she succeeds in the resection of the petrified adipocere only to find out she's got to dig out organs? That was classic.

Otherwise she's warmer, more relaxed, more...human now than ever before. I know I say this a lot, and honestly after this I'll not bring it up again unless she either backslides or does something huge, but this season's Brennan is so different from the emotionally schizophrenic mess of S4 that it's almost like she went from S3 to S5 and bypassed the ugly spots of S4. Her joshing has markedly improved, her ability to initiate a joke and flirt with Booth (as she did at the end) is something we'd not really seen before, at least not to this degree. More and more the two of them are becoming a perfect fit - and yes, I meant that exactly. They've always served as each other's counterweight, now though they're meshing so perfectly that I think when they do finally cross the line there'll be no stopping them.

The Intangibles
Brennan was amazing, as always, and the girlish scream only seemed to underscore how relaxed she seemed this entire episode. Booth was impressive, and of course for Booth this case meant he was out of DC and out of DC means casual. Why do I care? Because Booth casual means the king goes shopping soon - I seriously want to steal his wardrobe, the dude has great taste in clothes. Wendell needs a hair cut. Cam looked amazing, as always, and Angela was stunning as well, but I think it's time for shorter hair - long haired Angie just seems older than she really is to me. Oh, and wtf is wrong with TJ? Seriously TJ looked quite thin and had an unhealthy pallor to him, anyone wonder why?

Scene of Note
Hodgins, Wendell, Angela and Cam testing the "weapons" that killed the victim. It was too funny and entirely too Hodgins in his dealing with the news of Angela and Wendell dating. Who didn't see Wendell's head getting blown off in that scene? Who didn't see Angela's melon-head being the one that found the 'murder weapon'? It was oh so predictable and yet oh so enjoyable.

Booth, Brennan and the Sheriff confronting Blaine. The sheriff's constant interruption was hilarious and it fun watching Booth try to politely let the man do his job even when Booth was itching to jump in and get in a few licks of his own. Of course shooting the gumball machine? Nice touch.

Quotable Quotes - The Alien Edition
Brennan: Her skeletal robusticity and large areas of muscle attachment suggest she was in extremely good health.
Cam: A couple of weeks in the desert and no critters got at these remains?
Wendell: Perhaps the result of green radiation from alien hyperdive systems...or something not crazy.

*Brennan does her best Jamie Lee Curtis impression*
*Booth fast draws on MRI machine only to watch his gun go flying*
Booth: You know I won't say anything about the scream if you don't say anything about the gun.
Brennan: Those terms are satisfactory.

Delmy: Do you know who I am?
Booth: No, do you know who I am?
Delmy: FBI? Military Intelligence, that's an oxymoron you know? A term that contradicts itself. I'm Delmy Polanco. I'm the most important UFO Blogger in the world
Booth: Important blogger? Talk about an oxymoron.

Brennan: You are definitely a moron. Not literally, figuratively. It's very satisfying to use an insulting colloquialism even when it isn't accurate.
Booth: It's even better when the resist arrest so you can hit'em.
Brennan: I dunno.
Booth: I think so.

Fun Facts
The body and organs of Ursula Lapine were almost entirely converted to adipocere (corpse wax), and is a wax-like substance created by the anaerobic bacteria located in fatty tissue. The process is generally anaerobic, meaning that it occurs most often in settings where there is little to no airflow around the corpse, and corpses that undergo full conversion are often referred to as "Soap Mummies". Because sealed (lead lined) coffins and concrete vaults have been a standard in burial practices throughout the United States for over 100 years it is estimated that the USA has the largest population of soap mummies in the world, an estimated 100 million. In 1875 the bodies of a man and woman were exhumed (reportedly as part of a street widening project), and are among the earliest reported "soap mummies" in the US.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The GOOD - The closing scene between B&B, it's 100% pure frosting, but it's so tasty we don't care that it's got 0 nutritional value!

The BAD - The whole Angela/Hodgins/Wendell triangle. Hodgins is hurting, Wendell is a good guy trying to do the right thing, and Angela has the right to move on, but it still sucks to see it work out this way.

The UGLY - Dude, that corpse was ugly. Like dripping wax, melted fat, body in a blast furnace ugly.

Okay this episode was a welcome, and fun, diversion and the case work was strong, the story line was good, and the squintory of the episode was almost a co-equal to the main story. All in all I liked it, didn't love it, but it was by far the best thing on TV this week and that, my friends, is the way Bones is supposed to be.

The case work was solid and held it's own against a squintory demanding to be heard:
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

No major continuity issues but I've got some doubts on the science this time:

Overall watchability? The truth is right here, it's worth re-watching more than once:

This was a great way to start the second half of the season, keep it up Hart and I'll make sure all the contracts on you are cancelled.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:31 pm

X in the File

All right, let me state upfront that I never watched X-Files. I do know the theme music and who Scully & Mulder are, of course, and have the general gist of the show, but if there are any other inside jokes I probably didn’t get them. Kindly don’t hold it against me!

I caught a number of echoes here from previous eps: Passenger in the Oven, Spaceman in a Crater (esp. with all the alien comments), Aliens in a Spaceship…

Case

A strange looking body is found in the desert outside Roswell, and of course people immediately think ALIEN! Coyote eyes don’t help the lying, super-obsessed alien hunter (who actually reminds me of the head of the STC in Spaceman in a Crater, but much less polished) who promptly freaks out. Cue B&B on the scene, dealing with a sheriff who refuses to let the body go but is otherwise fairly cooperative which is a change from the last New Mexican sheriff they've dealt with, a conveniently trigger-fingered ranch owner, a over-enthusiastic blog writer who thinks she’s the next Lois Lane, a restaurant owner who decorates his place in a campy space motif to lure in the tourists, and a victim who ironically ends up looking like the very thing she had spent half her life looking for. Add in a wavery and unaltered video of what appears to be aliens and glowing goo on the ground, and mix. Oh, and don’t forget the high powered executive with a vendetta.

The video turns out not to be aliens, but rather an illegal toxic waste dump right on the Mexican border, explaining the high-powered exec. I would have liked to see her be at fault, honestly; it would have been a valid reason and she just scraped me the wring way. I wonder if Ursula (our vic) knew what she actually filmed--or would have believed it if so. And motive is common greed, as the murderer turns out to be the restaurant owner, who just wanted the large amount of money being offered. Not untypical of the world, but somehow less than satisfying. Ehhh--maybe I'm just being picky.

Characters

Booth--is it my imagination or is he showing more of his vulnerable--for lack of a better word--side? His unease in the hospital and with the body is different from the disgust he usually displays at the worst of the corpses. So would that be a result of his tumor along with a handful of other changes we’ve already noted or is he just comfortable enough with Brennan to let it show? In any case, he seems to waver between skepticism and credulity--freaked out at the hospital but scornful in Ursula’s trailer.
Costuming sucked, as noted in the spoilers thread. Please, give him back his aviators and lose the red flannel plaid *makes horrible face* shirt!
And despite by interrupted every two seconds by the sheriff (what is that, 2 or 3 smart-mouth cops he’s had to deal with this season?), he manages to take over the ultimate part of the suspect interview by firing that toy gun. Alpha-male. He did work alone more on this case than he has in a while, with Brennan back in her make-shift lab. Possibly because she had no assistants. But that's all right--he was quite capable on his own.

Brennan--her rationality seems to be back on course, offending people left right and center. Scientific terminology squarely in place? Check! The scream seems uncharacteristic for her, no matter how alarmed she might have been. A stand out moment was after resisting having to work with flesh, she grits her teeth and does so. Typical and endearing how pleased she is to have done it right, and the look on her face when told she’s not done yet. How squeamish is she, do you suppose? Seeing decomposing flesh doesn’t bother her, but she doesn’t seem to like touching it.
Her humor skills have improved, but I suspect it’s much like her skills at reading people--primarily confined to Booth, and maybe children. The end scene was proof of that--“advance scout” indeed! Well, she has been called an alien before as I recall, somewhere in S1. Good to see her let go like that. Some of the other forms of social interaction she’s still learning her way through, however. When she called the guy moron, it was a bit heavy-handed, but mostly her.
One other thing--I haven’t noticed him correcting her a who lot this season. Not that she’s not getting things wrong, but it’s more of an interpretation thing, rather than mangling phrases. See "the hairs on your arm stand up" and the "walks like a duck" thing. It can be rather uneven though, but then, it always was.

Cam--she really enjoyed telling Brennan how to handle the autopsy. She made it clear to the lovebirds that she knew, has known for some time--how long has she been sitting on this piece of information? I mean, we know she figured it out right at the beginning, but why didn’t she let them know that she knew before this? As usual, I don’t have a lot more to say about Cam. She was her usual administrative self, and the cats were surprisingly complaisant today! We did get a little more about her past as a cop, though, so that was a bonus.
Plus some new costuming: a turtleneck that was surprisingly flattering.

Hodgins--puts on a fantastic mask, doesn’t he? But he’s not the same guy who sat down on Sweets’ couch last season and ranted about hating everyone. His actions in the diner fooled me, but perhaps he didn’t quite believe it until later when he saw them acting in such a light, loving, normal way. That said, he enjoyed the shooting test far too much--not that I blame him. *sniff* Poor Hodgins. But Sweets was right--it really is only time that can cure him, if he lets it, and then he’ll always have this little soft mushy place in his heart for her and for them, because it was good, after all (at least in his mind, considering earlier discussions).
Anybody else notice that he’s the only who’s taken the classic “lie down on the shrink’s couch” pose?
Pity they didn’t return to his conspiracy aspect here--between the aliens and the illegal dump, there should have been plenty for him to dig into. Instead, they focused on his scientific skills (and I begin to wonder if some of that is legitimately detectable) and his emotional ride.
Consistency demands that he mope for an episode or two--in private, since his pride must be served. He has to keep up that façade in front of them. I’ll grant him a pass for next week, though, considering the promos.

Angela--in her way she can compartmentalize, if you think about it. Where does she want to take Wendell? Why, the Egyptian storeroom, naturally! Her favorite place to tryst with Hodgins. And the way she acted with Hodgins is apparently how she acts with most of her lovers, too. I’m sure Cam felt some déjà vu when she found A&W kissing. And no matter how much she may say she’s over Jack, I want to say (although I can be as inept at such things as Brennan) that’s not strictly true; something about the way she keeps insisting it’s over. Some of her discomfort was probably due to Hodgins forcing the issue, but I don’t know if all of it was. That was an awkward situation, to be sure.
High drama aside, she pulled off her usual genius level computer magic once again, clearing up the video, tweaking the sound and all those other good things. (Sorry--my eyes glaze over a little as things get technical)

Wendell--I appreciate his wanting to step up and ‘fess. I am aware there are certain codes among my fellow females about exes and all--do males have the same? But I would consider him the innocent party here; he didn’t deliberately go after her. She kissed him in spontaneous thanks and something went off. Not that he doesn’t deserve some discomfort if he broke any guy-codes, though, but I think he got most of it over that lunch.
Also good that while he enjoys games, he prefers to keep them out of the lab. Cam may hire him just for that alone! That looked like a nice hotel, by the way, and somehow not what I was expecting.
His comment about orange-eyeballed aliens was along the lines of Nigel-Murray talking about Lord of the Rings, but he had the sense to shut up sooner.

Sweets--had absolutely nothing to do with the case except for a badly timed lecture on alien-obsessed people. I’d say he pretty much nailed it about when he accused Booth of bringing him on interrogations just to show off (of course, it’s really the writers looking to make sure he gets a role--same diff). He does need to learn when to not jump into circumstances, such as the one at the diner; the situation was touchy enough without him. Was it his interfering nature that led him into psychology?
The diner staff called him “Doc” and “Lance,” and I’m trying to remember if they’ve ever addressed Booth or Brennan by name.

Random Impressions

Some nice outdoor shots, shooting outside the set.

Odd thought--how does Booth always get an SUV when he goes on location? How about a nice Crown Vic?

I wanted to know what the blogger was going to end up actually writing about! Were they going to let her do it, let her have the pictures and the story?

“I think everything’s more complicated than it looks.” Yep--truer words were never spoken. I like Wendell, and when and/or if this relationship goes south, I hope it won’t bruise him too badly.

“I won’t say anything about the screams if you don’t say anything about the gun.”
“Those terms are satisfactory.”
(I guess she kept to the deal, since the gun was not mentioned while they were discussing ball bearings.)

“That is--magic.”
“Science.”
(“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” Arthur C. Clarke. Also quoted in Fringe, not an hour after I made my note!)

“I liked it better when it was aliens.” Didn’t Booth say something like that back in Aliens in a Spaceship (ha!)?

This is what I get for reading spoilers--wasn’t something missing?
Spoiler:
Or am I just confused?

Good
I enjoyed the B&B part of the end scene--a lot! The idea of aliens being anthropologists is giggle-worthy. I really need a transcript of that dialogue! But this must be the cozy part we heard about--them sitting on the hood of his truck, admiring the night sky…complete with a shooting star. Talk about setting up a romantic situation. The only things I found fault with was 1) there was no kiss--there were a couple points I thought for sure it was going to happen; 2) the cut to black; I actually shrieked/squealed! Of course I got what effect they were going for within a few seconds, but, please--“Do you hear that?” combined with dead silence, alarmed looks, and then the cut? It worked.
I want fics on this. Now. Please.

Bad
I don’t understand why his gun was attracted to the MRI. Magnets, yeah, but are they really that strong? This falls into bad if they got it wrong, good if they got it right (cool effect, if a little overdone).

Also, another case without a whole lot of lead up or even interaction with the actual perp. I know we don’t always get the full story, but this is close to another out of the blue one. Yes, the chain of logic and one quantum leap was fine, but still…

Ugly
Nothing really noteworthy here.

Some great scenes, but surprisingly not as satisfying as I had hoped…fairly solid, yet oddly light, and it seemed to go by much too fast. And thank all the powers that be--no flying eyeballs!

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:41 pm

I like the way you wrapped up the W-A-H mess. Nobody's really wrong or at fault, but it's sad to watch the fallout.

And I have never heard of soap mummies before, let alone know all kinds of facts about 'em.

How can you not enjoy the comfort of Booth and Brennan together. That pact was perfect between them. Brennan's doing her job easier, even the things that are out of her realm, and Booth was enjoying watching that Sheriff strut his stuff.

As for Hodgins? Is he pining away for his Angela or something? And Booth being a believer? Not hardcore, but he likes an adventure, just not too too scary.

Enjoy your shopping trip, Your Majesty.
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:18 pm

Dawn, what you said about Booth in the trailer in comparison to how he acted in the hospital. I felt that the trailer reminded him of the serial killer wall of shame; it seemed like I heard it in the sound of his voice.

You might have something there about why Sweets got into psychology. We might have to look into that one. That might have motivated more than just Sweets.

As for MRI magnets. I've always heard that they'll rip a defibrillator out of your chest, or a pin in your leg. I don't know if that's literal rip, but I've always heard that they are VERY powerful.

And I wholeheartedly agree with you on the "no flying eyeballs!" tonight!

Do you think the King will splurge so you can take off to the mall too?! G'night!!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:40 pm

I'll go to the mall on almost anyone's dime!

Nice point about the comparison between the trailer and the serial killer's wall. Same level of obsession and attention to detail, now that I think about it.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:33 pm

Hmm, first of all I'm already funding one woman's shopping and I don't fancy adding a second so sorry my Queen, but it's a no go.

Second, MRI's are indeed powerful enough to do exactly what was shown. In fact a 4 Tesla MRI (Magnetic Field Strenght is measured in Tesla's) Could yank a 20 pound O2 tank off a wall if it wasn't secured, and home-made tattoos (common in prison) have a high concentration of metal, and an MRI can literally rip the tattoo out of the skin.

king RM

Last edited by THX1138 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More readable)
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:39 pm

Obviously, my knowledge of MRIs is pretty scant, so thank you both for explaining that.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by agnerka81 Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:54 pm

THX1138 wrote:Hmm, first of all I'm already funding one woman's shopping and I don't fancy adding a second so sorry my Queen, but it's a no go.

Second, MRI's are indeed powerful enough to do exactly what was shown. In fact a 4 Tesla MRI (Magnetic Field Strenght is measured in Tesla's) Could yank a 20 pound O2 tank off a wall if it wasn't secured, and home-made tattoos (common in prison) have a high concentration of metal, and an MRI can literally rip the tattoo out of the skin.

king RM

There was a HOUSE episode with an inmate heavily tattooed that needed an MRI...not pretty
agnerka81
agnerka81
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 144
Say What You Want : This is my obsession, BONES, as far as obsessions go its not that bad...right?
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by BonesInOz Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:26 pm

THX1138 wrote:InkSlinger - Season 5, Episode 11

Hodgins - Poor Jack. On the science side he's solid, in fact he helped pinpoint the location that gave them the motive for Ursula's murder. On the non-science side, the poor bastard had his heart ripped out again, and I can't see him ever giving another shot to Angela now - why would he?

I hope that he doesn't give her another chance. I love Hodgins and he deserves so much more than that.

Cam - Also we got a little more on Cam, her ability to speak some Spanish, her history as a cop, and I think we can see some foreshadowing of her and Hodgins getting closer now, what with him feeling estranged from both Angela and Wendell.

From your fingertips to Hart's ears my friend! I want me some Cadgins. Cam will treat him right Wink

Scene of Note
Hodgins, Wendell, Angela and Cam testing the "weapons" that killed the victim. It was too funny and entirely too Hodgins in his dealing with the news of Angela and Wendell dating. Who didn't see Wendell's head getting blown off in that scene? Who didn't see Angela's melon-head being the one that found the 'murder weapon'? It was oh so predictable and yet oh so enjoyable.

This was one of my favorite parts of the whole episode. I was glad Hodgins had an absolute blast (literally) and I thought it was hilarious. I wanted to do it again!!!!
BonesInOz
BonesInOz
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 170
Say What You Want : What happens between us, that should just be ours.
Registration date : 2008-11-28

http://bonesundercover.podbean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:35 pm

BonesInOz wrote:
THX1138 wrote:InkSlinger - Season 5, Episode 11
I hope that he doesn't give her another chance. I love Hodgins and he deserves so much more than that.
Yep, I'm with you on that one. I stopped being a real fan of Angela's after she broke up with Hodgins at the start of S3 - she had lip sex with Grayson for cryin' out loud but she's upset that Hodgins doesn't trust her? As if!

Cam - Also we got a little more on Cam, her ability to speak some Spanish, her history as a cop, and I think we can see some foreshadowing of her and Hodgins getting closer now, what with him feeling estranged from both Angela and Wendell.
From your fingertips to Hart's ears my friend! I want me some Cadgins. Cam will treat him right Wink
Agreed! And She deserves someone who can give her what she needs, genuine commitment. After Andrew, Booth was the one guy we know of she really seemed to connect with, enough that she pressured him to go with her to New York and I'm willing to bet when it all shakes loose Booth's inability to commit really hurt her. Hodgins can give her that and he'd gain someone who, unlike Angela, is emotionally an adult.

Scene of Note

This was one of my favorite parts of the whole episode. I was glad Hodgins had an absolute blast (literally) and I thought it was hilarious. I wanted to do it again!!!!
[/quote]Yeah, but Cam was right - no one should love their job that much. It was almost a little disturbing, how happy that made Hodgins. Still, I know I'd love to have had a shot with the melon guns. Heh, can you imagine Brennan and Booth there too? She loves that stuff, even if she pretends not to, and he'd want to test it like a real gun and shoot it rifle style. That'd be a fun scene for the DVD extras, if they had it of course.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:01 pm

THX1138 wrote:
BonesInOz wrote:
Scene of Note

Yeah, but Cam was right - no one should love their job that much. It was almost a little disturbing, how happy that made Hodgins. Still, I know I'd love to have had a shot with the melon guns. Heh, can you imagine Brennan and Booth there too? She loves that stuff, even if she pretends not to, and he'd want to test it like a real gun and shoot it rifle style. That'd be a fun scene for the DVD extras, if they had it of course.
I didn't give that scene as much discussion as it deserved! Oh, he had a pretty good idea of how things would happen when he set that up--I was sure of it when I watched. There was a certain amount of obliviousness, but I think he was (mostly) just relieving his own feelings and not sending a message.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by BonesInOz Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:51 pm

dawnsfire wrote:
THX1138 wrote:
BonesInOz wrote:
Scene of Note

Yeah, but Cam was right - no one should love their job that much. It was almost a little disturbing, how happy that made Hodgins. Still, I know I'd love to have had a shot with the melon guns. Heh, can you imagine Brennan and Booth there too? She loves that stuff, even if she pretends not to, and he'd want to test it like a real gun and shoot it rifle style. That'd be a fun scene for the DVD extras, if they had it of course.
I didn't give that scene as much discussion as it deserved! Oh, he had a pretty good idea of how things would happen when he set that up--I was sure of it when I watched. There was a certain amount of obliviousness, but I think he was (mostly) just relieving his own feelings and not sending a message.

queen

Oh I agree! I think it was mainly to make himself feel better, not to make anyone else feel bad. If that works for him, then I'm all for it. Wink
BonesInOz
BonesInOz
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 170
Say What You Want : What happens between us, that should just be ours.
Registration date : 2008-11-28

http://bonesundercover.podbean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelly Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:03 am

Okay guys...WHERE are my fellow X-philes here?!

The trailer with the serial killer wall of deathish look was actually a call out to Max Fennig, a character who made several reappearances on the X-files. He was a UFO hunter who claimed to be victim of multiple alien abductions, and lived isolated in a mobile home exactly like that one. In fact, if my memory serves me correctly, I believe that actually was the original set/trailer used on the show back in '93.

And anyone else recognize Langley as the shop owner?! I practically squealed when I saw him! Dean Haglund played Langley on the X-files for almost the entire run of the series. He was one of The Lone Gunman, a trio of super paranoid, super smart UFO/government conspiracy buffs who were friends of Mulder, and often provided their expertise to help him solve cases.

I think there was some very nice references to the X-files in this episode, if you are as big of a geek as me to get them. Embarassed I actually kind of loved this episode for many of the reasons Rob and Dawnsfire alread touched on (thanks as always guys!) And that end scene was just too yummy. Anyone have any links to previews of next week? Had to watch this week on Hulu.

Shelly
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:55 am

Shelly, I know nothing of X-Files but it was nice to hear about how they did pull it into the show.

And yes, there is a link to the promo for next week's episode. Take a look in the Spoiler forum. It'll be close to the top.
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:04 am

Shell, I was an X-phile through the fourth season but I knew after watching "Home" I wouldn't make it for the duration. I've got my limits. Smile

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by sera Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:11 am

Pwah, as an X-Phile you should know it's spelled Langly :O!! I totally didn't recognise him at first x) He looked too normal. The Fennig thing went over my head, I thought it just showed a major obsession is all ^^; RM, Home was so nuts, but it never goes that nutty again after that episode =P You're missing out on a lot of good episodes, especially Season 6.
sera
sera
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:32 am

I'll take your word for it Sera, but Home was bad enough to last me for a long, long time. I watched off and on but honestly Home just tainted the series for me. It wasn't just the incest aspect of it, or even the freaky mutations, it was the very end scene...I swear I just shuddered thinking about it. ugh.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelly Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Haha, Sera, I'm going to admit that I actually wikipedia'd the spelling for Langly to make sure I got it right, and they gave me -ley! Touche though. Razz I love it when the philes come out of the wood work! Laughing

Rob, I'm suprised that episode disturbed you so much! I think it was banned for a few years because all that incest stuff was just too much for TV at the time. Sera's right though, you missed alot of good ones! You should catch up some time, you won't be disappointed, I promise! Wink

Shelly
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next