Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books you love!

+36
Sany
Nightowl
CeleryStick
spygrl
olivia
monkeyfighter
Cassiopeia
ToZiKa
dawnsfire
MoonlightGardenias
i_heart_bones
fairytales_end
queen bess
hy6110327
Semprance
missdebra87
Fluffernutter
Tan
Aloemilk
Zeddie
ForensicMama
AutumnGlymmer
phoebsfan
SocksNTies
starbuck1974
katarina
Meegs82
PIMP
Nane
himbeer29
willgirl
Sarah9488
squirtandmilo
fanofbones
riviera41797
RollOnFriday
40 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Books you love! - Page 3 Empty Re: Books you love!

Post by ToZiKa Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:05 pm

oh I love so many books.....I'm not all that much into the old stuff, but Poe is always great.....
right now I'm rereading the Temperance-Brennan-series by Kathy Reichs, I also love everything by Karen Rose and I enjoyed the first few Karin Slaughter books (but they just lost their appeal to me about two books back.....no longer good IMO)

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 37397
Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by phoebsfan Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:38 pm

MoonlightGardenias wrote:....

I'm planning on reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer as well, but after the first little bit I kind of stopped. I'm hoping it gets more interesting.

You have to continue. It's hard to get into... but it is well worth the read, and in my opinion her best work.

Jane Eyre has always been one of my favorites... Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn is a sci-fi adaptation which is also pretty awesome. As is Summers at Castle Auburn also by Sharon Shinn, it's a bit of fantasy in a medievil setting and it just totally rocks.

My favorite is probably always going to be Catcher in the Rye though.
phoebsfan
phoebsfan
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4792

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassiopeia Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:04 pm

dawnsfire wrote:
Aloemilk wrote:One of those I love re-reading are the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It's a hitorical novel with a lovely romantic thing between the main characters. It's set in Scotland in 1745 (Clans times and revolution) AND 1945 (just after the WWII had been over), and then in -- not going to say in case someone decides to read them Wink I fell in love with Scotland's history because of those books--they're funny, interesting, historically correct, sweet. They're some of the best books evah to me. I recommend them dearly to you!!!

I love these books--the (good Lord!) 7th book, An Echo in the Bone, is due out this Sept in the US (dates vary on location). I wonder when I can put my name on the library list?
Jean Auel, well, I only care for a couple of hers. Whenever the 6th book comes out, I'll read it, but the last one was rather disappointing...
!

OMG! I love Outlander too, as far as I have read it. (1st book actually). But soo good. I love it.

And Jean Auel! I read the first book - clan of a cave bear - when i was 12 and ever since it has been my favourite. I have read all of those books, 6th is half way, cause it has not and never be in Estonian (which is too bad in my opinion, but .... Rolling Eyes ).

Anyways. I love Kathy's books too ofcourse.

Which I do reccomend to read is The games of a throne. I miself haven't read it but one of my friends is so crazy about it! Smile
Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11713
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by i_heart_bones Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Thought i would resurrect this thread!

I just finihshed reading How Proust Can Change Your Life by Alain de Botton.
It's kind of like a semi-biographical look at Proust's life, but de Botton has weaved it into a sort of self-help book. It's a really wonderful read! I love this guys work...
i_heart_bones
i_heart_bones
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 6090
Say What You Want : WWDBD?
Twitter.com/IndiaGreen
Registration date : 2008-11-29

http://shortlybeforemidnight.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by monkeyfighter Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:03 pm

Yay! A book thread on a Bones site? Thats like all my favorite things combined Smile
The Belgariad series by David Eddings is an amazing series but relatively unknown.
Also I love all the great books already mentioned: Anne of Green Gables, Harry Potter, Jane Austen, Jodi Picoult, ect..
Also books by Tamora Pierce anyone? They're kind of written for a younger crowd but they're these amazing fantasy books, definitely a good read for a rainy Sunday Smile

monkeyfighter

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:30 pm

Ah, Monkey (or would you prefer mf? Smile ), you've named 2 of my favorites--Eddings and Pierce (Tortall only). Have you ever read Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey, Katherine Kurtz, Lisa Shearin (who is also a Bones fan herself!)? There's also Christopher Stasheff, who is fairly unknown, despite having been around for ages.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by olivia Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:29 am

Right now, my favorite book is "Time Traveler's Wife". Love the book so much that I will never see the movie as i will not allow it to ruin it for me!

Question: how are the Temperence Brennan books? I am afraid I will be disappointed as I am sure they are written in a very different tone?

olivia
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 271
Say What You Want : Where's the Buck Moosejaw I married?
Registration date : 2009-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by spygrl Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:43 am

olivia wrote:
Question: how are the Temperence Brennan books? I am afraid I will be disappointed as I am sure they are written in a very different tone?

I have only read the first one... Deja Dead still have to buy the rest. It was good, but I was slightly disappointed in the characters... got better towards the end.

Since it was her first novel I would imagine they get better as she goes along.
spygrl
spygrl
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by olivia Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:57 am

spygrl wrote:
olivia wrote:

I have only read the first one... Deja Dead still have to buy the rest. It was good, but I was slightly disappointed in the characters... got better towards the end.

Does the book TB have that same "clinicalness" in how she speaks? Or is it a very different caharter? Is there a Seeley Booth?

olivia
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 271
Say What You Want : Where's the Buck Moosejaw I married?
Registration date : 2009-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by monkeyfighter Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:50 am

dawnsfire wrote:Ah, Monkey (or would you prefer mf? Smile ), you've named 2 of my favorites--Eddings and Pierce (Tortall only). Have you ever read Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey, Katherine Kurtz, Lisa Shearin (who is also a Bones fan herself!)? There's also Christopher Stasheff, who is fairly unknown, despite having been around for ages.

queen
I kinda like mf better Smile I've read a few Anne McCafferey books, but I've never heard of any of the others.
Now that you've provided me with some reading material, think you cold send over a couple hours of free time too? Wink

monkeyfighter

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:53 pm

monkeyfighter wrote:
dawnsfire wrote:Ah, Monkey (or would you prefer mf? Smile ), you've named 2 of my favorites--Eddings and Pierce (Tortall only). Have you ever read Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey, Katherine Kurtz, Lisa Shearin (who is also a Bones fan herself!)? There's also Christopher Stasheff, who is fairly unknown, despite having been around for ages.

queen
I kinda like mf better Smile I've read a few Anne McCafferey books, but I've never heard of any of the others.
Now that you've provided me with some reading material, think you cold send over a couple hours of free time too? Wink
I'll trade you a few hours of work for a few hours of free time!

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:04 pm

olivia wrote:
spygrl wrote:
olivia wrote:

Does the book TB have that same "clinicalness" in how she speaks? Or is it a very different caharter? Is there a Seeley Booth?
Personally, I found Deja hard to get through, but some of the others are better. I zipped through the 2nd one in less than a week.

Tempe in the books is different--not so constantly clinical or withdrawn/closed off emotionally, older, has been married and has a daughter, and while there may be late nights, she's not quite as absorbed when not working with the cops. Her presence in the field is not always appreciated, either--though perhaps that's more of a similarity Smile . When working, she's precise and uses the clinical terms, but not so much outside the lab. And her job is more like Harry Tepper back in Man with the Bone (S1)--she doesn't work for a museum and consult with law enforcement, though I couldn't swear she works for Montral police, either. Have to pick them up again and refresh myself on the little details.

There's no Booth, per se, but there is Andy Ryan, a LEO who is interested in her.

queen

There are some nods to the books in the Pilot--Peter, another anthropologist in Montreal, that sort of thing...
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by riviera41797 Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:21 am

The Stand by Stephen King - my favorite book of all time. I am re-reading it now.
riviera41797
riviera41797
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1560
Say What You Want : I may not post a lot, but I am out there, lurking!
Registration date : 2008-05-30

http://www.twitter.com/aprilosbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by CeleryStick Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:25 pm

Cool thread! Cool

I love David Sedaris' books (he's one of Emily D's favorite authors too!) Also love Carrie Fisher's books (especially "The Best Awful") and David Rakoff, Sarah Vowell, Sandra Tsing Loh.

I recently read John Elder Robison's book "Look Me in the Eye". Fascinating and touching story about living with Asperger's syndrome. (He also happens to be the brother of Augusten Burrows, aka "Running With Scissors" author).

I hope to read Stephen Fry and Craig Ferguson's books soon! Very Happy
CeleryStick
CeleryStick
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2010-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightowl Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:51 pm

dawnsfire wrote:
Aloemilk wrote:One of those I love re-reading are the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It's a hitorical novel with a lovely romantic thing between the main characters. It's set in Scotland in 1745 (Clans times and revolution) AND 1945 (just after the WWII had been over), and then in -- not going to say in case someone decides to read them Wink I fell in love with Scotland's history because of those books--they're funny, interesting, historically correct, sweet. They're some of the best books evah to me. I recommend them dearly to you!!!

I love these books--the (good Lord!) 7th book, An Echo in the Bone, is due out this Sept in the US (dates vary on location). I wonder when I can put my name on the library list?
Jean Auel, well, I only care for a couple of hers. Whenever the 6th book comes out, I'll read it, but the last one was rather disappointing...

I read a lot of fantasy, myself:
Mercedes Lackey is tops. Her Valdemar, the elves, Diana Tregarde, 500 Kingdoms, Elemental Masters series...
Anne McCaffrey--Dragonriders of Pern mostly, but some of her sci-fi stuff is good.
Christopher Stasheff, who doesn't end up on many of these lists--his Warlock series.
David Eddings--Belgariad and Mallorean. Major epic with a light touch.
Katherine Kurtz--Deryni
Just to name a few.

I go a little old fashioned with my mystery--Dorothy L. Sayers. Lord Peter is wonderful!
The Dragon Riders of Pern is my favourite series of all time. I have read every one of them at least 10 times. Even the short stories. Todd McCaffery never should have picked up a pen, in my opinion. Oh well.
Nightowl
Nightowl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 6901
Say What You Want : ~~~~~~~
BATMAN JUNK

Registration date : 2009-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sany Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:28 pm

Terry Goodkind (SOT series), Robert Jordan (WOT series), Kathy Reichs, Patterson's Women's Murder Club books, and lately the R. D. Robb In Death series. Thought I'd hate them but turns out they're really good.

Sany
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 17120

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:37 pm

riviera41797 wrote:The Stand by Stephen King - my favorite book of all time. I am re-reading it now.
Mine too! And It is right up there...I should re-read both of them...*runs off to find them*
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Number of posts : 68808
Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

Closing time - time for you to go back to the places you will be from.
Closing time - this room won't be open 'til your brothers or your sisters come.
So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.
Closing time - every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:42 pm

Oh, and I took my daughter to see The Lightning Thief, so I of course had to read the books. I quite enjoyed them, even though they are supposed to be more for the younger crowd. Of course, so were the Harry Potter books, I suppose...lol. Anyway, if you like fantasy and greek mythology, try them out. Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. He's written adult books as well but I haven't read any of them yet.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah9488 Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:40 am

Has one of you read The Help by Kathryn Stockett?
I want to read that one soon.

At the moment, I'm reading 'One Night' by David Nicholls which seems to be quite good. Though I've been warned it might get sad.

Books I added to my favourite list lately (during the last year^^):
- The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
- The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger
Everything by Joy Fielding...
Sarah9488
Sarah9488
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1104
Say What You Want : Avatar: https://twitter.com/bitsy_bones

http://www.myspace.com/sarah9488

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:50 am

Sarah9488 wrote:Has one of you read The Help by Kathryn Stockett?
I want to read that one soon.

At the moment, I'm reading 'One Night' by David Nicholls which seems to be quite good. Though I've been warned it might get sad.

Books I added to my favourite list lately (during the last year^^):
- The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
- The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger
Everything by Joy Fielding...
I haven't read The Lovely Bones yet, but I saw the movie today. I intend to read it soon.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by bones206 Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:41 pm

Harry Potter Smile
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2057
Say What You Want : I want to go ride my horse. I love my horse. I want to watch the new episodes of Bones. I want to talk to my friends about Bones. But, most of friends don't watch Bones. Sad
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by monkeyfighter Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:54 pm

bones206 wrote:Harry Potter Smile
The fifth was on ABC tonight!! <3

monkeyfighter

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:00 pm

riviera41797 wrote:The Stand by Stephen King - my favorite book of all time. I am re-reading it now.

oh yes! this is a great book and also the scariest thing I have ever read ( I don't normally do horror/thriller but the idea of an engineered virus wiping out most of humanity, just freaked me out, because it could happen.)
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:59 pm

Nightowl wrote:The Dragon Riders of Pern is my favourite series of all time. I have read every one of them at least 10 times. Even the short stories. Todd McCaffery never should have picked up a pen, in my opinion. Oh well.
Completely agree with you! I stopped reading the series altogether after trying 2 of the ones he was involved with.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by bones206 Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:30 am

monkeyfighter wrote:
bones206 wrote:Harry Potter Smile
The fifth was on ABC tonight!! <3
I watched it last night too... Smile

Last edited by bones206 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2057
Say What You Want : I want to go ride my horse. I love my horse. I want to watch the new episodes of Bones. I want to talk to my friends about Bones. But, most of friends don't watch Bones. Sad
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next