Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emily in Parade's Healthy Lifestyle Mag

+8
RGPageantqueen
i_heart_bones
CeleryStick
THX1138
Meegs82
mereva
lance2376
bugaboo628
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Emily in Parade's Healthy Lifestyle Mag Empty Emily in Parade's Healthy Lifestyle Mag

Post by bugaboo628 Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:40 am

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
bugaboo628
bugaboo628
Administrator/Head Moderator

Number of posts : 1586
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Emily in Parade's Healthy Lifestyle Mag Empty Re: Emily in Parade's Healthy Lifestyle Mag

Post by bugaboo628 Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:49 am

There are 10 more photos at this link!

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
bugaboo628
bugaboo628
Administrator/Head Moderator

Number of posts : 1586
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Emily in Parade's Healthy Lifestyle Mag Empty Re: Emily in Parade's Healthy Lifestyle Mag

Post by lance2376 Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:54 am

Thanks!!!
lance2376
lance2376
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-01-14

http://lance2376.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mereva Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:57 am

Thanks for sharing.
mereva
mereva
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1841
Say What You Want : I'm frustrated and very annoyed by HH's 'brilliant ideas'.
All the credits for my avatar go to christinaof94 from LJ.
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:59 am

Okay, the woman just inspired me all over again: "You don't want to look back and say, 'Oh, I didn't do that because I was scared.' Be fearless."

Doesn't she just exude awesomeness? The woman is the purest form of a role model out there. Smile
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4106
Say What You Want : Dancing Phalanges! Dancing Phalanges!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:50 am

Meegs82 wrote:Okay, the woman just inspired me all over again: "You don't want to look back and say, 'Oh, I didn't do that because I was scared.' Be fearless."

Doesn't she just exude awesomeness? The woman is the purest form of a role model out there. Smile
She does, she is awesomeness. I love the comment "I am a vegan, but I certainly don’t lecture people, because that wouldn’t have worked on me." And I can't help but fall in love all over again. I'm sure she's got some flaw somewhere, but so far, she's perfect. I love you

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:15 pm

THX1138 wrote:
Meegs82 wrote:Okay, the woman just inspired me all over again: "You don't want to look back and say, 'Oh, I didn't do that because I was scared.' Be fearless."

She does, she is awesomeness. I love the comment "I am a vegan, but I certainly don’t lecture people, because that wouldn’t have worked on me." And I can't help but fall in love all over again. I'm sure she's got some flaw somewhere, but so far, she's perfect. I love you

king RM

She most definitely doesn't lecture. I feel the same way, it wouldn't have worked on me either. It's all about "educating" 'cuz noone likes getting preached at. She definitely "educated" me and I *immediately* went back to being a vegetarian and then about 6 months later, I became a vegan. Thanks, Em! Wink
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CeleryStick Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:50 pm

Great interview! Very Happy And I love that pink dress!
I wonder if its hard to be vegan but not eat soy?
CeleryStick
CeleryStick
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2010-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:18 pm

CeleryStick wrote:Great interview! Very Happy And I love that pink dress!
I wonder if its hard to be vegan but not eat soy?
Well their's seitan for a meat substitute, as opposed to Soy. Also there are multiple milk substitutes, several of them that taste much better than soy (almond milk for one), but soy is a staple for a lot of vegetarian/vegan cooks. I'm a carnivore by nature, but from time to time I'll go veg (after Christmas for example, to lose weight), and occasionally I'll try and go vegan but I've never made it more than a week. I usually end up just adding bacon to everything.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by i_heart_bones Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:28 pm

She is just the best!!
i_heart_bones
i_heart_bones
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 6090
Say What You Want : WWDBD?
Twitter.com/IndiaGreen
Registration date : 2008-11-29

http://shortlybeforemidnight.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:24 pm

THX1138 wrote:

king RM

She can clear a room like the best of them? lol.
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 5921
Say What You Want : There's a wild wild wind calling out my name, like a long lost friend, and there's nothing sweeter than American honey<3
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 192630 Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:53 am

Emily is so beautiful inside and out. I especially loved that pink dress on her too. Thanks for sharing

Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:01 am

the one with her holding the Flower?
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 5921
Say What You Want : There's a wild wild wind calling out my name, like a long lost friend, and there's nothing sweeter than American honey<3
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:27 am

I love her. I get inspired too everytime i read her interviews. i became vegetarian after hearing her speak about it and have kept it up since. I can't eat soy either. It really only sucks at places like starbucks or restaurants where the only non-dairy alternative they have is soy. sigh. i wish i lived in LA where you can probably find all kinds of goodies everywhere you go.

David said in an interview that her flaw (though he didn't word it that way) is that she texts too much on set and it annoys him lol She also claims to be "bossy" and "nosy" but....it's probably more adorable than anything lol

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:42 am

tinkrella wrote:I love her. I get inspired too everytime i read her interviews. i became vegetarian after hearing her speak about it and have kept it up since. I can't eat soy either. It really only sucks at places like starbucks or restaurants where the only non-dairy alternative they have is soy. sigh. i wish i lived in LA where you can probably find all kinds of goodies everywhere you go.
They seriously need to come up with a better milk-like product than soy milk. Something that more closely emulates milk's flavor and consistency. Question for Meegs and the vegans in the group. If they could come up with a functional chemical analog in the lab that accurately emulated bovine milk, would you drink it? I'm talking about something that would be chemically 99% identical to cow's milk in flavor, texture, etc., so except for it not coming from a cow, it'd be virtually the same? I ask because I know a lot of vegans stress the importance of the natural and organic nature of their foods and I'm talking about something that's 100% processed.

David said in an interview that her flaw (though he didn't word it that way) is that she texts too much on set and it annoys him lol She also claims to be "bossy" and "nosy" but....it's probably more adorable than anything lol
The texting thing could be annoying, my gf does it constantly too. It's the modern generation gap - She loves texting and I'm old enough that I keep saying "You're using the phone anyway, just call 'em!" Laughing Anyhoo, nosy just means she's taken an interest in ya' and bossy means she cares. Let me tell ya', Em can boss me around anytime, I like aggressive women. Very Happy

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:07 am

Yes, she IS addicted to her Blackberry...like REALLY addicted. Wink

Good question, Rob, and my answer is a resounding NO. I don't want to drink or eat animal products, so I don't want something that even comes close to it. Same goes for the genetically engineered meat they are producing in labs. No. Thank. You.
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:41 am

Meegs82 wrote:Yes, she IS addicted to her Blackberry...like REALLY addicted. Wink
lol @ the Blackberry addiction. I swear I've never seen the bonus to phone/pda texting but then I can chat online for hours so maybe it's the small keyboards? I've got big hands and thick fingers so even typing on my netbook is a chore somtimes, and while my laptop has a "full-size" keyboard I miss my old IBM click-board. Those things were built to stop a bullet and my hands had room to spread out. Anyway...

Good question, Rob, and my answer is a resounding NO. I don't want to drink or eat animal products, so I don't want something that even comes close to it. Same goes for the genetically engineered meat they are producing in labs. No. Thank. You.
I sort of expected that answer since I was talking about something that's created in a lab and entirely processed, I was curious though. i'm not sure I'd drink it either - I may be carniverous but the thought of "lab grown" meat just seems...yuk. That's about the only way to describe it. Still wish there was something other than soymilk out there. I cant stand rice milk and almond milk is okay but it's not the same. Now that I think about it, how in the hell do they make vegan cheese? They've actually got some good ones now that have a decent flavor and consistency, and the melt well too. If they can make a good cheese, why not milk? Okay, enough tangents for me. lol

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianBones Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:26 am

I agree with everyone else, the pink dress is awesome!
CanadianBones
CanadianBones
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1266
Say What You Want : they shouldn't be doing that on the forensic platform. - brennan
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:13 am

And as you said, it's all chemicals, which is totally counterintuitive, IMO (like you said, too Wink).
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:19 am

As for the cheese, most of it is still produced naturally with products like soy, rice, and almond (although the almond cheese I've seen isn't entirely vegan, it still has casein, a milk protein). I'm not really a big fan of vegan cheese except when I use it to cook, then I can't even tell the difference. You can't really just have a slice of cheese if you want a snack, it just doesn't taste the same. At least the ones I've tried. If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE let me know! Wink

As far as milk, I like soymilk the best, but vanilla almond is good, too. When Emily told me she couldn't tolerate soy, I blurted out "what do you eat?" which I'm sure she gets sick of hearing 'cuz I certainly do! She likes seitan, although she said she doesn't usually eat much gluten (which seitan is totally made out of). It would be rough for me to be intolerant to soy since I drink tons of soymilk and eat tons of tofu! I'd have to speed dial Emily and ask her how she does it. Wink
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:20 am

Oh, and cashews are also used to make "cheese." I made a tasty cheez sauce for Thanksgiving with cashews, tofu, soymilk, and vegan butter. Delish! Very Happy
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:44 am

Meegs82 wrote:As for the cheese, most of it is still produced naturally with products like soy, rice, and almond (although the almond cheese I've seen isn't entirely vegan, it still has casein, a milk protein). I'm not really a big fan of vegan cheese except when I use it to cook, then I can't even tell the difference. You can't really just have a slice of cheese if you want a snack, it just doesn't taste the same. At least the ones I've tried. If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE let me know! Wink
Oh, I should have clarified re:cheese, so far I've only used it in cooking. I've got a few family members that are lactose intolerant an my gf is a cafeteria veggie so she only rarely eats meat, but FYH makes some soy cheeses that are pretty good to cook with, but nothing compared to Teese cheese. We have to order Teese special but I've always got some of their mozzarella and cheddar on hand and though I haven't tried them the gf has said they really aren't that bad for snacking on, and I know they cook up even better.

As far as milk, I like soymilk the best, but vanilla almond is good, too. When Emily told me she couldn't tolerate soy, I blurted out "what do you eat?" which I'm sure she gets sick of hearing 'cuz I certainly do! She likes seitan, although she said she doesn't usually eat much gluten (which seitan is totally made out of). It would be rough for me to be intolerant to soy since I drink tons of soymilk and eat tons of tofu! I'd have to speed dial Emily and ask her how she does it. Wink
Laughing Tofu is tricky. I can eat it if I cook it the way I like it - I do a mean seven veggie stir fry with extra-firm tofu, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic, other than that if I'm going to eat it we're eating Japanese, and there's this place that makes a Kyushu style tonkatsu that comes with your choice of either the traditional pork cutlet, seitan or tofu. They do them in a rich gravy that's just to die for, it's made from a broth of braised vegetables, sesame oil, and miso thickened with toasted rice flour, and it's the only time I've had a really 'savory' veggie dish. I normally get the pork but I've had the seitan and I'll be the first to admit I could eat that anytime instead of a burger and fries and not miss a thing. Hey, call Em and see what she's doing, the three of us could have lunch!

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:55 am

I hear ya about tofu and I am REALLY bad at cooking it. I usually get mine when we go out to eat (which is quite often). I used to HATE tofu, but if you get it cooked just right, it's fab! I've only had seitan once (I can't eat too much gluten) and it was okay. Have you heard of tempeh? Not a huge fan, but then again, I've only ever had tempeh "bacon" strips, which tasted like bacon and therefore was disgusting to me. You might like it, Rob! Wink That's another thing, I don't really understand "mock" meats. I don't WANT to eat meat, so why would I want to eat something that TASTES like meat? The only way I like it is fried. Soy chicken parmesan=to die for.

I know a great place in the Valley (Em recommended it). Lemme call her and you can catch a flight and meet us there, say tomorrow? 7pm?
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:56 am

Oh, and that dish you described is literally making me salivate. <insert insanely hungry emoticon here>
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:13 am

I agree they do need a better soy/milk substitute. I've been allergic to milk since I was little and was raised on soy. I'm used to the taste but now I'm becoming intolerant like Emily. Almond milk is okay...and rice milk seriously refuses to work right in coffee. Especially when whipped. ick. I also tried to make pancakes with rice and they were way too runny.

Soy is in SO MANY things. Even things that don't list it. I cut down on it but haven't cut it out completely. I'm really not sure how you survive as a vegan who can't eat soy. Obviously you can....but wow. It's probably easier in LA too. Philly sucks for vegan/veg friendly things. Zooey is allergic to gluten/milk/eggs I didn't know emily cut down on gluten too. Although..it's probably smart since her sister can't eat it anyway. Anyone know if zooey is vegan too? Emily said at one point her sister was "sort of" a vegetarian but that was a long time ago.

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next