Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LIFE OF EMILY ERIN - K+ - Family, Angst - 4th of the series-Meegs

3 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

THE LIFE OF EMILY ERIN - K+ - Family, Angst - 4th of the series-Meegs - Page 4 Empty Re: THE LIFE OF EMILY ERIN - K+ - Family, Angst - 4th of the series-Meegs

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:04 pm

meegs:

Thanks, ladies! I am getting close to the end of what I have written, but I am hoping to get to work on it more next week while I am home. Anywho, read and enjoy!
CHAPTER 18

“Mommy!” Emily squealed as Brennan entered the room.

“Hi baby,” Brennan replied as she sat on the edge of the bed and leaned down to hug her daughter.

“Are you still sick?” Emily asked into her mother’s chest.

Brennan pulled out of the embrace. “No, baby, I’m better now,” she replied.

“I hope you fee betta, Tempe,” a small voice said. Brennan looked to the table to see Davey smiling at her as he fidgeted in his chair. Angela and Parker sat on either side of him, each with a nearly empty plate of food in front of them.

Brennan couldn’t help but smile. “Thank you, Davey. You’re so sweet,” she replied.

Davey’s “Hodgins baby blues” (as Angela called them) sparkled as he smiled.

“So, you don’t have the stomach flu, Mom?” Parker asked.

“Nope. You all are safe,” Brennan replied.

“That’s good ‘cause I can’t be sick for practice,” Parker said as a mischievous grin attempted to break free from his lips.

Brennan narrowed her eyes and smiled. “Practice, huh? And what exactly would you be practicing?” she asked, knowing full well what the answer was.

Parker couldn’t contain himself any longer. The smile burst forth. But before he could open his mouth to speak, his little sister chimed in.

“Parker got kortaback! Daddy’s talking to the coach. Parker was the bestest so he gets to be kortaback!” Emily blurted.

“Hey! I wanted to tell Mom!” Parker whined.

“Sowwy,” Emily replied as she rolled her eyes.

“Hey, was that an eye roll?” Brennan asked her daughter.

Emily’s bottom lip sagged. “No.”

“It was, too. Say you’re sorry and mean it,” Brennan instructed.

Emily folded her arms across her chest and after a few seconds, she looked over at Parker. “Sowwy, Parker,” she said dejectedly.

“It’s okay, Emmy. I still love you,” Parker replied with a smile.

“Good then. Parker, congrats, bud,” Brennan said as she rose from the bed and walked to give Parker a hug.

“We’ll take him to school and pick him up from practice on Monday,” Angela joined in the conversation.

“Ang, you don’t have to do that,” Brennan said.

“Oh, you don’t get a say in the matter, by the way,” Angela said, smirking.

Brennan nearly rolled her eyes and was about to say “thank you” before Angela’s look stopped her. Angela was the best friend in the world.

“Mommy?” Emily’s saddened voice jarred the burst of joy that had begun.

“Baby, what’s wrong?” Brennan asked as she made her way to the bed.

“I feel sick,” Emily said as she reached for her mother.

“Okay, here, come into the bathroom,” Brennan instructed as she helped Emily out of the bed.

They barely made it to the toilet before Emily threw up. Brennan held her forehead with her right hand and pulled her hair back with her left.

“It’s okay, baby. You’ll feel better in a minute,” Brennan said, soothingly as she knelt with her daughter. She could definitely empathize seeing as how she had vomited not an hour earlier.

Emily continued to heave for the next 30 seconds and as she finished, she started crying.

“Mommy!” Emily cried as she wrapped her arms around her mother’s neck.

“You’re okay, baby. Shhh…you’re okay,” Brennan soothed as she rubbed Emily’s back. A few moments passed before she reached down and scooped Emily into her arms and carried her back towards the bed.

“Is she okay?” Parker asked.

“Yeah, she just needed to throw up,” Brennan replied.

Angela stood there, helpless, and this was bugging her to no end.

Emily continued to cry and as Brennan leaned down to set her on the bed, Emily cried louder.

“No, Mommy, don’t let go!” she exclaimed as tears ran down her cheeks.

“Okay, baby, I won’t. Just hold on to Mama, alright?” Brennan replied as she continued to rub her back.

Angela looked a thought at her and Brennan nodded.

“Davey, sweetie, it’s time for us to go, alright?” Angela said as she turned to her son.

“But I wanna stay with Emwy,” Davey whined as he looked up at his mother.

“I know you do, baby boy, but she needs to rest now, okay? You can go tell her bye,” Angela explained to her son and she took his hand and kissed it.

Davey’s bottom lip sagged and a few moments passed before he stepped over to the bed, where Brennan had just sat with Emily.

“Bye, Emwy. I hope you fee betta, too,” Davey said as he tried to poke his head around to see Emily’s face.

Emily lifted her head from her mom’s shoulder and through her tears, she said, “Thank you…for the gwitter…gwobe.”

“You’re wecome,” Davey replied as he smiled at her.

“We love you, Em. We’ll see you soon, promise,” Angela told her as she took her son’s hand.

“Wuv you too, Aunt Angewa,” Emily replied, the tears still falling.

Angela smiled at her before Emily returned her head to her mom’s shoulder.

“Love you,” Angela said to Brennan.

“Love you, too,” Brennan told Angela as she nodded.

Angela and Davey left the room and Emily continued to cry.
I know, I know, no Booth in this one either. Sorry, fab! *ducks* He's in the next one, I promise
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9099
Say What You Want : Go Synthesis!
Registration date : 2008-05-30

http://www.synthesiscommunications.net

Back to top Go down

THE LIFE OF EMILY ERIN - K+ - Family, Angst - 4th of the series-Meegs - Page 4 Empty Re: THE LIFE OF EMILY ERIN - K+ - Family, Angst - 4th of the series-Meegs

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:04 pm

fab:
dammit woman...the world can't revolve without Booth...did you miss that memo?

it was awesome girl...
love ya

and where the hell is my Booth?
my bad...great chapter...

hugs
fab
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:05 pm

tozika:

Okay I'm constantly repeating myself but......poor Emily!

I hope the therapy is working at least and she will be better soon.

And I'm with fab......we need our daily doses of Booth.....

Oh and I want to know if she is really pregnant or what else made her sick.

PPS
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:05 pm

meegs:

Thanks again for the reviews, ladies! I only have 2 written chapters left. But I will be working on it next week, so more to come soon! Here ya go:
CHAPTER 19

“She really thinks Emily will need a transplant?” Booth asked Brennan.

Brennan nodded. “Yes. We can get tested in the morning and Parker might be a good candidate, too,” Brennan explained.

They sat in the waiting room. After Emily’s treatment, the entire family had chowed down on ice cream sundaes from the hospital cafeteria. Emily hadn’t felt sick since earlier and she had been able to eat at least 5 bites of her ice cream. It was now nearly 6 in the evening and Parker and Emily were playing a game of Candyland in her room, allowing Booth and Brennan some time to talk.

“What are the chances that any of us will be a match?” Booth asked.

“There’s no way to know,” Brennan replied.

“And what if we’re not? She gets put on a list?” Booth inquired, his voice rising.

“Yes. Angela wants to get tested and she said that Hodgins had already called the lab to schedule an appointment for both of them,” Brennan informed him.

“We have some great friends, don’t we?” Booth said, a small smile creeping across his lips.

“Yeah, we really do,” Brennan replied.

They sat in silence for at least a minute. Booth contemplated the idea that none of them would be a match and wondered how long Emily might have to wait for the transplant. Brennan, on the other hand, was thinking about something else entirely. She looked over at him and she could see the exhaustion in his eyes. He hadn’t slept today, but she would make sure he slept tonight. Before she could open her mouth to say what she had waited all day to say, he spoke first,

“I can call Jared and see if he'll get tested, too. Mom and Dad would both get tested if they were alive,” Booth said, a hint of sadness in his tone. It had been nearly 4 years since Mr. and Mrs. Booth had passed away.

“I’ll talk to Russ. Oh, Russ!” Brennan exclaimed, suddenly realizing that he would be there in less than an hour. “I don’t know if she’s up for a visit. She’s pretty exhausted,” she added.

“Well, he’s on the road by now. Maybe just a short visit, you know he wants to see her,” Booth replied.

Brennan nodded and turned away from him for a few moments. He watched her expression with growing interest as she sighed.

“Are you okay? You haven’t thrown up any more, have you?” Booth asked, suddenly quite concerned due to the look on his wife’s face.

“No, Booth, I haven’t,” she replied, her voice cracking.

“What’s wrong then? Something’s wrong,” Booth said. “You haven’t told me what Dr. Caldwell said,” he added.

Brennan looked to him and their eyes locked. She inhaled slowly and exhaled loudly.

“I’m pregnant,” she had said it.

He paused for a moment before a smile overtook his features and he pulled her into a hug. She wrapped her arms around him and fell into his embrace.

“I was worried it was something serious,” Booth said as they pulled apart. He was relieved.

“The timing isn’t exactly the best. I wanted to wait until we were alone to say anything,” Brennan said.

Booth smiled and reached forward to cup her cheek with his right hand. He gazed into her eyes, his heart bursting with joy by the fact that they were going to have another baby. But his heart was breaking at the same time. One life had just begun, but another could be over soon. Suddenly, he understood the look in his wife’s eyes…she had been pondering the same thing all day. And as the realization came upon him, he reached forward and pulled her into another embrace.

“It’s okay. Emily is going to make it,” he said as she grasped onto him. The fact that he even needed to say it was reason enough to believe that perhaps it was merely wishful thinking.
I know, it's short. I thought about making it part of the last chapter, but didn't. Anywho, I will have the next one posted soon!

--Last edited by Meegs82 on 2008-04-19 02:46:00 --
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:06 pm

Tozika:

So she is really pregnant again.
Loved this chapter and can't wait to read more soon!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

fab:

hugs mdawg...I'm glad she told Booth so soon, I knew he would be thrilled...

I was totally guessing that she was pg...
wow, I am good...

more soon please
fab
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

meegs:

Yes, fab...you really are that good! LOL
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:07 pm

starlite_21:

Keep up the good work; although I don't like the angst. I read the Emily Erin story in one sitting -- had read the previous three but just found this one.
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

cheese:

great updates!!!! sorry for the late reply, but I can't get online as much as I want to.... I am very busy these days!

hugs,
cheese
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

meegs;

What on earth was I thinking that I could get some writing done while visiting my parents, grandmother, AND in-laws?! Seriously, I don't know WHAT got into me! I had NO time at all! Anywho, here is the last written chapter. I am back to it tomorrow. Enjoy!
CHAPTER 20

The next 7 days took their toll on the entire family. Parker had stayed with the Hodgins’ for most of the week, having to go to school and football practice. From the hours of 8pm to 8am every night, Brennan and Booth took 3 hour shifts with Emily, allowing the other to get some rest. Although, for the most part, neither of them slept during their “off time” anyway. Russ brought Emma and Haley on the 20th and the girls played with Emily’s plastic horses. Zack came in on the 22nd along with Goodman and the twins. And on the 23rd, Emily got to see Rufus, who happily slobbered all over her arm when she went to hug him.

She had thrown up 9 times in the past 7 days. The seizures and slurring were gone and the chemotherapy was working. She had undergone an MRI on September 21st to check for cancerous cells in her CNS and most of them had been eradicated. This was definitely a good sign and Dr. Caldwell reminded them that results like this were rare in Philadelphia chromosome-positive leukemia. By the way things were going, Dr. Caldwell expected Emily to be in remission by the end of induction, which lasted another 4 days.

Booth had taken a leave of absence from the FBI while Brennan had her teacher’s assistant take over her 2 classes at Georgetown. As for Emily, she was just going to have to miss school for a while. Her best friends had been asking for her and all of the mothers had called Brennan to wish Emily well.

The pregnancy news was being kept between the parents at least until Emily’s first stage of treatment was complete. Then perhaps they would tell the kids while celebrating Emily’s remission.

But the one thing on Booth and Brennan’s minds were the stem cell test results. Booth, Brennan, Parker, Angela, Hodgins, Zack, Russ, Amy, and Jared had all been tested on the 20th. Goodman had offered, but one of his pre-test workups had not made him a good candidate. And on the 22nd, Camille Saroyan had flown in from Dallas to get tested. Today would be the day most of the results would come in.

It was now 3:18pm on September 26th and Brennan was sitting in bed with Emily, working a jigsaw puzzle. Booth was on his way to pick Parker up from school so the family could spend the weekend together.

Both mother and daughter wore dark circles under their eyes…and both had been vomiting for the past week. Brennan’s ultrasound had shown that everything was normal and she would be back for a checkup in a month. She was 8 weeks along.

As for the jigsaw puzzle, it looked to be about half complete as Brennan connected two of the edges with a single piece.

“That’s a funny lookin’ dog,” Emily said as she tilted her head to look at the picture that lay on the bed table.

“Yeah…it kind of is, isn’t it?” Brennan said as she mimicked her daughter’s tilt.

And that’s how Dr. Caldwell found them. Their heads tilted to the right ever so slightly; their eyes squinting down at the puzzle; their brows heavy with creases; their hair messy on their shoulders.

“Now that’s a Kodak moment,” Dr. Caldwell said through a smile.

Mother and daughter looked up from the puzzle.

“What’s a Kodak?” Emily inquired, looking to Michelle and then to her mother.

Brennan was equally puzzled, but Dr. Caldwell saved her.

“It means that I wish I had a camera to take a picture of you ‘cause you’re just too darn cute,” Dr. Caldwell chimed in, smiling even bigger.

“I have a camwa at home. It’s pink and purpa. You can use that. I’ll ask Daddy to bring it,” Emily responded, a smile forming in the corners of her mouth.

“Sounds perfect,” Dr. Caldwell replied, still smiling. She paused a moment and then looked to Brennan. “Is Seeley not here?” she asked.

“He’s picking Parker up. Do you need to talk to us?” Brennan inquired, her muscles tensing as her eyes pierced through the good doctor.

“Well, yes. I can wait for him if you’d like,” Dr. Caldwell replied, her eyes never leaving Brennan’s. It was as if she was trying to telepathically communicate.

“He won’t be back probably for another hour,” Brennan replied, glancing at her watch. She sighed and turned to Emily. “Baby, do you want to start Cinderella while I go talk to Michelle?” she asked her daughter.

Emily frowned. “I wanna finish the puzza,” she whined, bottom lip drooping.

“I’ll be back soon, I promise. I’ll make you your afternoon snack when I get back, how does that sound?” Brennan tried to encourage her daughter.

Emily perked up a bit at the sound of a snack, but she was still not ready to give up the fight.

“But I don’t want you to go. I’ll be alone and I don’t want Cindarewa right now, I wanna be with you, Mommy,” Emily fought back as she rubbed her left eye and sniffled as tears began to form.

“Baby, I will only be gone for a few minutes. Pinky promise,” Brennan replied as she took Emily’s arm and squeezed gently, raising her right pinky in the air. She smiled at her daughter and waited.

Emily looked up at her mother and after approximately 3 seconds, she lifted her right hand and extended her pinky finger. Reaching forward, she hooked her pinky around Brennan’s and they each kissed their own thumb.

“Okay, but you only have 3 minutes,” Emily said, her eyes wide as she ordered her mother.

“Yes, ma’am,” Brennan replied and she saluted.

A smile finally broke out across Emily’s lips as Brennan moved to the side table to open her laptop. She found the DVD under a drawing of a horse and popped it into the computer. A couple of clicks later and Disney’s magic castle was lighting up the screen.

Dr. Caldwell watched the interaction from the door, choosing not to interject. It was always important for a patient and their family to work things out without the doctor interfering. Her job was to make Emily better…it ended there. Even though her heart strings did pull for each and every one of her patients.

Once safely outside Emily’s room, the doctors were free to speak. Brennan went first.

“None of us are a match, are we?” she asked as she frowned.

“No. We’re still waiting on one test and it should be in tomorrow,” Dr. Caldwell replied.

Brennan’s frown deepened and she folded her arms across her chest, shifting her jaw as she glanced away from Dr. Caldwell. 20 seconds passed in silence.

“So now she gets put on a list?” Brennan inquired, even though she already knew the answer.

“Yes. She should get bumped up because of the kind of leukemia she has,” Dr. Caldwell replied.

Brennan stared at Dr. Caldwell for a few moments before responding.

“Meaning if she doesn’t get the transplant, then…” Brennan’s voice trailed off as she felt water rush to her eyelids.

“Dr. Brennan, remember our plan? Fight like hell, right? This is an obstacle and we will do everything in our power to overcome it. If you know anyone else that could get tested, absolutely anybody that shares her DNA, you should bring them in. So many of your friends have gotten tested, but if there are family members, that would be helpful. There could even be a possibility of your baby being able to help his or her sister. If Emily can stay in remission long enough, it is possible that your baby’s stem cells could be used once he or she is born. We have options, that’s what I want you to understand,” Dr. Caldwell explained, calmly and rationally.

Brennan did not speak. Her mind was too busy reeling to respond. Their baby could help, but that would be 7 months from now, assuming everything went as planned. It was a possibility, but Brennan’s brain skipped immediately to another possibility; one that she hadn’t even thought of until this very minute. There were many reasons not to even entertain the thought of it and the likelihood of finding a match was very small…but there was a chance, a glimmer of hope. DNA was the biggest prerequisite to finding a stem cell match. Everyone Booth and Brennan knew who was genetically linked had already gotten tested...everyone Booth and Brennan had talked to, at least.
What d'ya think? I know, I'm mean, aren't I? But there is more very soon, I promise!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:10 pm

tozika:

Are they going to ask Max?
Maybe he would be a match.....

I can't wait to read more!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:11 pm

cheese:

omg..... meegs you're so cruel *sighs*
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:12 pm

temperance rose:

gah! I've been really looking forward to this!!!!! It has to be Max *thinks hard and wanders off*
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

fab:

ohhhhh...it could be Max or it could be the fetus? Hmmmmmmm

this is glorious as ever sweetie....

fab
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

meegs:

Thanks for the reviews, ladies! Alright, this technically the second half of the last chapter...and then I've got nothin'. I mean, I know where it's going, but I don't have anymore written as of yet. Hopefully this week!
“None of us are a match?” Booth exclaimed, hands on his hips as he stared at his wife.

Brennan sighed. “They’re still waiting on Cam’s test, but it’s not likely. We knew that going in,” Brennan replied, glancing through the window and into the room where Parker and Emily were playing Candyland for the 100th time since they had arrived at Johns Hopkins.

“So, she gets put on a list now and we wait. That’s just wonderful. Does Michelle know how long that will be? Forever?” Booth vented as he started to pace.

Brennan didn’t speak for another 10 seconds. She wanted to allow him to cool down a bit before she made her proposal. Apparently, Booth could tell she was holding back.

“What are you thinking?” he asked. He looked her straight in the eyes, and he stopped pacing.

Brennan held his gaze and after a few moments, she sighed.

“There’s another possibility,” she began, her eyes never leaving his face.

Booth’s face twitched and he jerked his head slightly.

“What might that be?” he inquired, intent on finding out where she was going with this.

Her lips pursed and she folded her arms across her chest in classic Brennan style.

“My father,” she replied as she set her jaw.

At first, Booth thought he hadn’t heard her correctly. And then it hit him…why hadn’t HE thought of that? His expression changed as a course of action started to form in his brain. He stood, staring intently at her as comprehension sunk in. She saw the change and she knew they were on the same page. A good minute passed before either of them spoke.

“It’s easier said than done,” Booth finally said.

“I know. And you could lose your job, but…what choice do we have?” Brennan replied, her eyes pleading.

He glanced away from her for a few moments as he thought about who he would have to contact in order to access the witness protection database. Freeman would be able to get him access codes, then he would just need the case number…Ryan would have that. As soon as he had figured it out in his mind, he looked to Brennan.

“Alright. Let me go make a few phone calls,” Booth replied, his face severe.

Brennan nodded and he walked off. She turned back to look into the room. Emily’s hands were in the air and she was smiling. *Keep smiling, baby. We’re going to fix you*
You guys are good! Good guesses! I can't wait to see what happens next, hope you all are just as excited!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:13 pm

fab:

Posted 29/04/2008 17:41:27 (29/04/2008 11:41:27 PM) 98.18.18.196 - Moderation Panel

fabulous mdawg...fabulous but don't let the g-man lose his job....
and that last line was sweet....
we're gonna fix her...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

night woman
and get writing...sit in the LA sunshine sweetie by the pool near a movie star and write write write

hugs
fab
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:13 pm

himbeer92:

Booth to the rescue! (and max ;-)).

I love this series... so good! update soon!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:14 pm

tozika:

I totally forgot that he is witness protection.....
But Booth will find out where he is and Max will come to help his daughter and granddaughter.
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:14 pm

temperance rose:

gah again! I'm suffering withdrawls from this story!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:15 pm

meegs:

I know it's been like forever since the last update. I've got nothing more written I am having serious writer's block. I know where this is going, it's just the getting there that's the problem. If you all bear with me, I'll try to get some more written soon! Thanks again for your patience and commitment
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

cheesebk:

ah, writer'S block, trust me I soooo know what you're talking about. Don't worry, we'll stick around and read whatever you write, whenever you write it
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

meegs82:

Alrighty, I have FINALLY started working on this again. MAJOR writer's block plus a lot of family issues going on. My grandmother passed away on the 23rd and my dad just started radiation treatment for prostate cancer. So, my husband and I had to move back to Colorado. But, my muse has been on fire lately and I am getting going with this again AND I just started a new fic. I have never had 2 fics going on simultaneously, so we'll see how it goes! I will try to have the new chapter up before I go to bed, but if not, it will be up tomorrow.
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

cheese:

oh, meegs, I feel with you. I hope your father is going to be better soon. *sends positive energy*

We are patiently waiting, don't worry!!!!!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:16 pm

meegs:

And I'm back! I hope my readers are still there. I know you are, Cheese! Hope you like and I am working on it more tonight, so be expecting more soon! Thanks for reading!
CHAPTER 21

“But what if Roxie won’t wait for me?” Emily asked, frowning up at her mother, who sat next to her on the bed.

“Roxie will wait, baby, I promise. She isn’t going anywhere. When you get all better, you can ride Roxie as much as you want,” Brennan explained to her daughter.

“Pinky promise?” Emily asked, raising her right pinky in the air.

Brennan smiled. “Pinky promise,” she replied, hooking her pinky with her daughter’s. As she did, she saw purple beneath Emily’s pajama top. She brushed her sleeve up and gazed at the misshapen bruise. It was a new addition to the collection of a dozen or so contusions Emily had suffered. With her platelet counts depleted from the chemotherapy, she was bruising almost to the touch.

“It’s okay, Mommy. It doesn’t hurt,” Emily said as she looked into her mother’s eyes.

Brennan’s gaze fell back on her daughter’s face and she pulled her into her chest, wrapping her arms tightly around her small frame. She closed her eyes and held onto Emily for dear life, rubbing her back. As she rubbed, something soft fell into her hand. Brennan opened her eyes and glanced down only to see a dozen auburn ringlets entwined in her fingers. Tears rushed to her eyes as Emily pulled out of the embrace.

“Mommy, I feel sick,” Emily told Brennan, her face pale and ghostly.

Brennan forced the tears back. “Basin or toilet?” she asked her daughter.

“Basin,” Emily replied.

Brennan reached over to the bedside table and grabbed the basin just in time for Emily to throw up in it. Brennan rubbed her back as Emily heaved and the ringlets continued to fall.

Emily finished and Brennan wiped her mouth with a tissue.

“Do you want to brush your teeth?” Brennan asked.

“I’m too tired,” Emily replied as she leaned back in the bed.

Brennan clenched the ringlets in her hand so Emily couldn’t see them and she got up to dump the basin. Once in the bathroom, Brennan let the tears and the ringlets fall. She knew Emily would be asleep in less than a minute, so she had a few moments to herself. Leaning on the sink with her elbows, Brennan took her head in her hands and she cried. As she sobbed, her stomach grew queasy and after a few minutes had passed, the urge to vomit was too great and she lunged for the toilet.

After flushing, she wiped her face with a cold washcloth and looked at herself in the mirror…red eyes, dark circles, pallid skin tone. She didn’t know who looked worse: her or her daughter. She continued to look into the mirror, but her gaze traveled to her belly. She placed both of her hands on her abdomen and turned to the side. She wasn’t showing yet, but she could feel the slight bulge of her uterus expanding. She should be happier…she should be taking better care of herself…but then again, her Emily shouldn’t be sick; she should be in kindergarten, playing with her friends, and riding that damn pony! *But she’s not. She’s stuck in a hospital fighting for her life* Brennan added to her thought. The tears returned and Brennan’s hands fell from her stomach to the sink.

A moment later, the bathroom door opened and Booth appeared. Without a word, Brennan stepped forward and fell into his arms. Booth held her tightly as he pulled her as close to him as he could. After a minute, Brennan pulled out of the embrace, the tears still streaming, and she pointed to the trash can.

“Hair,” was all she could sputter.

“What?” Booth asked gently.

“She’s…losing her…hair,” Brennan sputtered some more.

Booth looked past her and into the trash can where the ringlets had fallen.

He looked back to Brennan, his face serious. She could tell he had something to say.

“Did you find him?” Brennan inquired, the tears slowing as a glimmer of hope reignited itself in her heart.

Booth reached into his pocket. “2529 Elmhurst Drive, Littleton, Colorado,” Booth replied as he handed her a single piece of paper.

Brennan took it and her eyes flew across the writing. “Henry Fisher,” Brennan finally spoke.

“He owns his own barber shop. I checked and he’s in town,” Booth informed his wife, who looked up at him with a renewed sense of optimism.

“I can catch a flight tomorrow morning,” Brennan replied, handing him the paper.

“Are you sure you’re ready for this?” Booth asked.

“It doesn’t matter if I am or not. I’m going,” Brennan replied as she stepped forward and kissed him softly on the lips. “Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me. This is our baby girl. I’d cut off my own arm if it meant saving her,” Booth said as he cupped her cheek in his right hand. After a few moments of staring at each other, Booth sniffed the air and his brow creased. “Did you throw up?” he asked.

“Yes,” Brennan replied without emotion. “And so did Emily,” she added, closing her eyes for a moment before reopening them.

“The vomiting is exhausting, no wonder she’s out cold,” Booth remarked.

“She didn’t notice her hair, Booth. I don’t know how to tell her, she’ll be able to see that it’s falling out when she wakes up,” Brennan said, worry spread across her features.

Booth took hold of her hand and led her out of the bathroom before speaking.

“I’ll talk to her while you go see your dad,” Booth told Brennan and he looked her straight in the eyes as he took her other hand in his.

Brennan looked over at Emily, whose mouth was agape and her right arm hung off of the bed.

“Let’s hope I come back with a miracle,” Brennan said as she watched her daughter roll over onto a pile of her own hair.
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:19 pm

cheese:

awesome update meegs!!!!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next