Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official ~ "I hope Brennan gets a new costume designer" thread (split)

+24
tinge1990
SnoopGirl
future_anthro
Brain&Heart
ddc
i_heart_bones
HermioneGirl101
spectacularviews
katharine
Lyanna Stark
rexcat
Ankuuh
Murphs93
kat0505
treble21
joybrennan
MI_Bonesgirl
tinkrella
gordongordonfan
jsgemini
dreamerktm411
jro54
the beaver1965
elyon
28 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Official ~ "I hope Brennan gets a new costume designer" thread (split) - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official ~ "I hope Brennan gets a new costume designer" thread (split)

Post by elyon Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:56 am

I think the heels are totally out of character for Brennan. She has a number of speeches about objectifying women and heels which aren't all that comfortable for standing on your feet all day as Brennan does and certainly are useless in the field, she would see as pandering to female objectifying.

The dresses are ridiculous for someone who has to get down on their knees and rumble through a rotting corpse. There is really a disconnect between whoever is doing the costumes and the Brennan character. Then there is the whole issue of how unflattering these outfits are. She wore terrific clothes that looked good and suited the character in the first three seasons. Where oh where have they gone?

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1073
Say What You Want : Pyramids are better at change than you are.
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

The Official ~ "I hope Brennan gets a new costume designer" thread (split) - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official ~ "I hope Brennan gets a new costume designer" thread (split)

Post by Brain&Heart Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:13 am

i think some of the outfits in the past season have looked good (but i agree alot have not) but they just have not suited Brennan at all!!!!
I agree, this housewive outfits need to go!!!
Bring back the kick ass jeans and shirt combos we saw back in the firt couple of season. at the time i didnt really like the big, chuncky necklaces she wore, but now i miss that! lol. however, one thing i don't miss is the make up (i think it was around season two) where something was going on with her eyeliner. it just looked horrible. i can't recall exactly when this was but i remember thinking this when watching it.
As for Brennans hair.. bring back the ponytail!!!! not only did it look fresh and practicle, but it also means that when she does get all dressed up it leave room for more of the WOW factor, and doesnt just look like her everyday style.
Brain&Heart
Brain&Heart
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2010-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:34 am

I agree although I know there are some bloggers who like the hanging hair but it looked so droopy in season 5, like they ironed it or something, just no life. The curly ponytail looked so much younger and sassier, just like the Brennan I would like to see return from Maluku, but ready to embrace (and everything else) Booth, of course.

And if one costume exemplifies the horrors of season 5 it's that sad thing she wore in the finale at the airport. Clunky boots -- on a long flight? why didn't she ship them? -- sagging shirt, wrinkled trenchcoat and constipated scarf. Here's ubersexy Booth in his sharp camo's (hated the hair but guess he didn't want to get an army haircut) and here's Brennan looking like a reject from a thrift shop. Please!!! How do we get the message across to the powers that be?

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:16 am

I didn't even notice she had boots on! I think my most favorite outfits are the times when she has worn jeans but with nice tops. You see a lot of it in season one and two.

IMO they dress all the girls at the jeff way too nicely for the job they do. I know they wear lab coats...but their job especially cam's is pretty messy. I can't see Cam wearing those heels all day long either. I guess though, that they are going for the "sexy" vibe.

Not sure how you could let the powers that be know without offending someone in some way. The last thing I'd want to do is offend Emily (if she has say in what she wears) So...not sure. I guess someone could send a nice tweet to hart simply asking if there is a reason brennan stopped wearing her "eco warrior" stuff.

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:43 am

I truly doubt that Emily picks out her own costumes. She wouldn't have time since she works up to 18 hours a day on the episodes. Here's the problem. The costume credit for the season 5 finale are:

Costume and Wardrobe Department
Tom Macdonald .... costumer: Mr. Boreanaz
Francisco Stoll .... set costumer

No one is credited with Emily's costumes and it sounds like they are an afterthought. Does a set costumer do everyone who doesn't have an individual costumer? If so, Mr. Stoll needs a consultant, preferably female, that could bring him up to speed on what Temperance Brennan should look like.

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:40 am

Why does DB have his own? Has he just had that guy all along? DB's outfits are nothing....really earth shattering lol Mostly nice suits and jeans and vintage T's. I'm intrigued by this whole wardrobe department thing now. You would think Emily would have her own too....

I'm guessing it's like this for every show....But I was watching behind the scenes of grey's anatomy and they showed a huge trailer (or warehouse type thing...) and there were literally racks and racks of clothes each one labeled with the character name. The racks were vey specific. It looked really cool and like it would be a fun job to get to pick all those clothes.

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:42 am

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

some interesting definitions of the different aspects of the costume department.

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:45 am

An article that talks about Bobbie Read, the British costume designer who 'set' the style for Brennan. According to the article all of the studios have huge costume warehouses that designers can choose from as well as the costumers buying specifically for the character.

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:49 am

I remember that HH said that Read made all of Brennan's jewelry in the first three seasons but she obviously bought pieces that originated in Asia (and probably all over) and put them together. My sister, who designs jewelry, is dying to find out where pieces like these are available in the L.A. area so I'm going to keep on digging into the costuming aspects of Bones.

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by future_anthro Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:05 am

I don't mind the trenchcoats so much (though switching the colours up a bit wouldn't hurt) but put them over the jeans, tanks and/or button up shirts that we love on her so much. They need to lose the dresses. To me, Brennan just doesn't seem like the kind of person that would choose to wear dresses majority of the time (Cam & Angela yes - thought different styles - but not Brennan). Hell, if they still want to dress her up, dress up the jeans with nicer shirts. For example, i actually loved what she was wearing at the end of Finger in the Nest when they were burying Ripley. It's not the casual Brennan of season one, but it's not the housewife look either.
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by rexcat Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:44 pm

I don't mind trench coats either except she had so many different ones and I'm trying to figure out why? Yes -- she has money but why would you buy the same trench coat -- same style but in different colors? Who does that? They may have actually been different but they all looked the same.

I didn't like any of the shirts she wore with her blue jeans -- not a single one. They were too old for her. She did lose some of her weight by the time the 100th episode came around so that's why she's looking better at the end of the season. She's a tall woman that can't afford to lose too much weight though because she'd look like a stick.

The finger in the next outfit is a good choice for her; I like it. That's the young style she should be going for. It was classic yet sexy at the same time.

I think what Cam wears is wonderful & sexy but I also think most women would not wear those clothes in the work place.
rexcat
rexcat
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by future_anthro Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:34 pm

rexcat wrote:I don't mind trench coats either except she had so many different ones and I'm trying to figure out why? Yes -- she has money but why would you buy the same trench coat -- same style but in different colors? Who does that? They may have actually been different but they all looked the same.

I didn't like any of the shirts she wore with her blue jeans -- not a single one. They were too old for her. She did lose some of her weight by the time the 100th episode came around so that's why she's looking better at the end of the season. She's a tall woman that can't afford to lose too much weight though because she'd look like a stick.

The finger in the next outfit is a good choice for her; I like it. That's the young style she should be going for. It was classic yet sexy at the same time.

I think what Cam wears is wonderful & sexy but I also think most women would not wear those clothes in the work place.
If i could afford it, and i found a trench i liked i'd definitely buy it in more than one colour. Maybe that's just me.

There are definitely some tops she's worn in the last season or two that were not all that nice, i agree.

As for Cam's.. I work in an inner city office (i've worked in city offices for um.. 7 years i think) and i see women wearing those clothes all the time. Not sure about a lab situation like theirs though.. that's a little odd.
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by rexcat Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:55 pm

future_anthro wrote:
rexcat wrote:I don't mind trench coats either except she had so many different ones and I'm trying to figure out why? Yes -- she has money but why would you buy the same trench coat -- same style but in different colors? Who does that? They may have actually been different but they all looked the same.

If i could afford it, and i found a trench i liked i'd definitely buy it in more than one colour. Maybe that's just me.

There are definitely some tops she's worn in the last season or two that were not all that nice, i agree.

As for Cam's.. I work in an inner city office (i've worked in city offices for um.. 7 years i think) and i see women wearing those clothes all the time. Not sure about a lab situation like theirs though.. that's a little odd.
Ok...I guess times have changed. I used to work in an office environment but haven't for the last 7 years. But then again, it was a government facility so maybe we were more conservative there. No one ever wore tight outfits as she does.
rexcat
rexcat
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Brain&Heart Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:30 pm

elyon wrote:I remember that HH said that Read made all of Brennan's jewelry in the first three seasons but she obviously bought pieces that originated in Asia (and probably all over) and put them together. My sister, who designs jewelry, is dying to find out where pieces like these are available in the L.A. area so I'm going to keep on digging into the costuming aspects of Bones.

i just came across this and if you have not read it then i though maybe it would be interesting seeing as though you want to know about more about the jewlery.
it's very very brief but it does mention a jewlery designer.
Brain&Heart
Brain&Heart
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2010-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:48 pm

Brain&Heart wrote:
elyon wrote:I remember that HH said that Read made all of Brennan's jewelry in the first three seasons but she obviously bought pieces that originated in Asia (and probably all over) and put them together. My sister, who designs jewelry, is dying to find out where pieces like these are available in the L.A. area so I'm going to keep on digging into the costuming aspects of Bones.

i just came across this and if you have not read it then i though maybe it would be interesting seeing as though you want to know about more about the jewlery.
it's very very brief but it does mention a jewlery designer.

Thanks so much for the reference!

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:59 am

An article in USA weekend about Brennan's jewelry and its makers is posted on the Bones Spoilers blog and gives Cynthia Summers as the name of the Bones costume designer. Should we petition her for a better look for season 6?

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopGirl Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:05 pm

She looked awesome in her jeans ensemble when she went to meet Sully on his boat.

SnoopGirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9669
Say What You Want : Snoop I love you DB's Smile Smile

Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:24 am

That's one of my favorite outfits as is the outfit she wore in the episode where Angela's boyfriend is killed in the New Mexico desert.

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by tinge1990 Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:09 am

i always wondered why doesn't she just wear tanks and jeans. i doubt anyone (like characters) really cares what she wears to work.

she would kickass.

tinge1990
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by gordongordonfan Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:18 am

rexcat- I totally am with you on the whole "can they really wear THAT to work" thing... and I really don't think times have changed THAT much (at least not everywhere). They dress way to provocatively for a workplace... especially Cam. Outfits that are so tight they look painted on... or ones that show actual cleavage are a big no-no in most work places.

Not saying she doesn't look fabulous, (and who wouldn't love to look like her!)... but it's more of an evening out or a "date" look a lot of the time. But I look at it like this... it's all because they are on TV and "sexy sells!" LOL ... So I'm willing to suspend reality if it helps keep the ratings up (and therefore keeps our show on! [Only admins are allowed to see this image] )
gordongordonfan
gordongordonfan
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:05 am

A bit sexy is necessary for t.v. which is why it's so perplexing that Brennan has looked like a suburban 1950's hausfrau for the last season, not fashion forward, not sexy, just dumpy and blah. It ages her which I'm sure no one wants and those wretched trenchcoats that have now become like a recurring costume are so boooorrrring. The ethnic jewelry which has been established as 'her thing' for 5 years looks very out of place with her Ricky and Lucy cotton duds. Someone take notice, please!

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamerktm411 Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:14 am

The jeans/ tee shirt thing was perfect. Not only did it look great on her (then again, pretty much everything does) but it fit her whole "Dr. Brennan doesn't care about deportment" thing very well. Her character has always been one where small things like how someone dresses or their eccentricities are not important to her. Things that would matter to most people- how Zack looked like he was ten, that Hodgins was rich, that Arastoo faked his accent- are no big deal to her. Which is probably one of my favorite qualities about her.

With regards to how Cam and Angela dress, I don't have any problems with it. I think Angela's outfits usually fit her- I always love when she's in her artsy-boho stuff. And Cam's outfits look so good on her that if I were her character (or had her body, heehee) I would dress like that to work too.
dreamerktm411
dreamerktm411
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1255
Say What You Want : "I hope you find something that just changes the entire notion of what it means to be human."
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 192630 Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:34 am

I do hope that Brennan dresses better this year. I loved her in seasons 1 to 3. Season 4 okay, but in Season 5 she looked like a 1950s' tv show housewife. Those trench coats did nothing plus her hairstyle did nothing for her. I want Brennan to dress a little more sexy..jeans and maybe tank tops.
Cam, I thought, dressed nice but I thought at times inappropriate for the lab environment.
Angela always looked good.

Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:06 am

Tweets with Hart:

Sejlb @HartHanson Had lunch with Bobbie Read. Discussed Brennan's look. Major rethink needed. How can she kickass in cotton skirts and heels?
HartHanson @sejlb I only ever got to eat with Bobbi if we were standing holding styrofoam plates.
sejlb @HartHanson We ate Indian. Very, very good.
half a minute ago via web in reply to HartHanson
sejlb @HartHanson That came out wrong. No cannibalism at lunch just chicken tikka.
less than 5 seconds ago via web in reply to HartHanson

Doing an article on Bobbie Read and costume design. I'll post the link when it's published. Cheers, Bones Universe!

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyRuby Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:13 pm

Ugh I hope Brennan gets the costume overhaul this season. Bobbie Read did do a fantastic job when she was on set.
RubyRuby
RubyRuby
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 451
Say What You Want : Credit goes to bones/tumblr for the beautiful banner. I do NOT support the SO storyline. Its an insult to wonderful characters and the talented actors who portray them.
Registration date : 2010-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next