Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official ~ "I hope Brennan gets a new costume designer" thread (split)

+24
tinge1990
SnoopGirl
future_anthro
Brain&Heart
ddc
i_heart_bones
HermioneGirl101
spectacularviews
katharine
Lyanna Stark
rexcat
Ankuuh
Murphs93
kat0505
treble21
joybrennan
MI_Bonesgirl
tinkrella
gordongordonfan
jsgemini
dreamerktm411
jro54
the beaver1965
elyon
28 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Official ~ "I hope Brennan gets a new costume designer" thread (split) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official ~ "I hope Brennan gets a new costume designer" thread (split)

Post by tinkrella Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:28 am

I agree. She is way too cool. They didn't seem to screw with Angela's or Cam's outfits!

I'm going to feel really bad if it comes out that Emily picks the outfits herself or something. I love her to death but i'd have to scratch on that one.

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

The Official ~ "I hope Brennan gets a new costume designer" thread (split) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official ~ "I hope Brennan gets a new costume designer" thread (split)

Post by elyon Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:33 am

I think Angela's have gotten just a bit less out there, especially the dress she was wearing in the scene between her and Brennan in the finale where Brennan tells Angela that she's worried all the time. That outfil seemed far more suburban housewife than cutting edge artist.

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1073
Say What You Want : Pyramids are better at change than you are.
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by gordongordonfan Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:32 am

I kinda wondered if some of it might have to do with wanting to pick clothes with all natural fibers and so on. (You know how ED is very into those types of things...) I wondered if maybe she had more of a "say" now that she's been on the show longer and is a producer too... But it's probably nothing to do with that. (Not that the idea wouldn't be great, just that they'd need to find some totally different TYPE of clothes along those lines.) Probably just the change in costume designer that you guys have mentioned! :-)

And the trench coats- I like the look once, maybe twice.. but it feels like she's practically lived in a tan or white trench this season! LOL
gordongordonfan
gordongordonfan
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:41 am

All of the denim and jeans are usually 100% cotton and so are a lot of the ethnic tops so it looks like they were trying to stay with natural fibers all along. But there are so many sharp looking pieces in linen, wool, cotton and silk that there really isn't any excuse for dressing her like 'I Love Lucy' (and p.s. I do love Lucy but not as a look for Brennan).

According to different episodes, she's traveled in Rwanda, Tibet, Iraq, Guatemala, and Venezuela at least. I know she's supposed to have spent her time looking at dead bodies, but how about a shopping break. Clothing and fabric from those places would step up Brennan as a science fashionista.

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by gordongordonfan Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:45 am

Yeah, I was thinking that too about the natural fibers all along... guess I was trying to come with ANY possible reason for the wardrobe fiasco! LOL Probably just the new designer on staff then!

LMAO- "I know she's supposed to have spent her time looking at dead bodies, but how about a shopping break." :-)
gordongordonfan
gordongordonfan
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Murphs93 Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:57 am

I love how this thread is about Emily's costume but we inevitably ended up talking about DB's facial hair Very Happy But yeah sack the current stylist. Don't mind the coat but the dresses are sick! I liked early season 4. I seem to be in the minority who don't like the S1 eco-warrior look though..

Murphs93
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 133
Say What You Want : Me: It's the 100th episode tomorrow.
Mum: What is it a special murder or something?
Me: I don't watch it for the cases mother!

I am secretly Naomi from paleontology.
Registration date : 2010-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by jsgemini Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:15 am

Thanks treble21 for making this it's own thread! I didn't think such a fashion monster would be created LOL

Can I just say that on one of those episodes that Brennan wore the long jackets and trench coats (which was pretty much most of season 5) that I was hoping she would flash Booth. Think how great that could've been...just to see his face. Twisted Evil
jsgemini
jsgemini
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:55 am

I'd pay money to see that. I also think it's interesting they recycled that red blouse from the 100th into the finale. Are we to suppose that Brennan holds onto her clothes for years and puts them on for pivotal emotional moments? Like the triangular silver earrings that seem to appear for big emotional scenes (Sully leaving/kissing Booth, etc). I keep wondering if the blouse was just coincidence or if it was another one of those tedious clues/Easter eggs/time bombs that keep getting hinted at like Booth's electric blue suit that he wore in both the season 4 finale 'I'm pregnant' scene and the season 5 finale 'I'm leaving for Indonesia; don't get killed in Afghanistan' scene on the bench.

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ankuuh Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:04 am

Im so happy with this thread ! The person that is dressing Emily as Brennan really needs to go, or get some understanding of the fact that digging up bodies in heels and wrong blousedresses just won't work.

I did not know that there was a change in dressers halfway season 4 but I figured as much because of the change. I hate hate hate what they do with her clothes it makes her look old and havier than she really is and Emily is stunning.

Hope they will change that. I did like the season 1-3 and your taste can change, but not from modern to oldschool teacher office person.
Ankuuh
Ankuuh
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by rexcat Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:20 am

I agree -- I absolutely hated her wardrobe this season, in addition to her hair style & color. I actually preferred her looks from seasons 2 & 3. She looked very young and very trendy...I guess is the word to say although I hate that word. She simply looked better because the wardrobe seemed to fit her age. This season aged her by 10 years at least.
rexcat
rexcat
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyanna Stark Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:40 am

It pretty much makes my week that this thread exists. My closest real-life Bones-buddy is male, and he thinks I've gone insane every time I complain about Brennan's S5 hair/wardrobe.

I'm kind of excited about her new hair cut, if only because I think it might be harder for her stylist to arrange unflatteringly. :\

Lyanna Stark
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by katharine Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:43 pm

I agree. Especially with the Lucy Ricardo thing. I would like to see her in a nice dress every so often though. She was smokin in the Roxie outfits.

Remember the time she got dressed up to meet, was it Jared, and Clark almost busted a, I'll say, gut, looking at her.

katharine
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by spectacularviews Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:37 pm

I would say there is a few things at play. I'm pretty sure she's said in magazine articles etc that she only wears natural fibres etc what with her being a vegan.

I also think Emily is a touch bigger (read - not fat, but taller, somewhat bigger boned, and not emaciated) than your standard TV actress. I remember her saying on the View once that she is a size 8, which is not large by any standards but is several sizes larger than your average TV actress (and is probably largely due to the fact that she's a lot taller than you'd think). A good costume designer knows how to dress that, but a bad one who sees tiny as "ideal" doesn't, hence the overtly-covered up look.

But, my favourite look of all time? The dress in The Woman in The Sand. Booth loved it.

spectacularviews
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by HermioneGirl101 Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:45 pm

I'm wondering-- when exactly did Bobbie Read leave the show? I know it was the middle of S4, but do we know an exact episode? Because I watched Doctor in the Den, Science in the Physicist, and Cinderella in the Cardboard yesterday specifically looking to see a change in her wardrobe, but I didn't notice anything.

However, I completely agree. I wish we could go back to the eco-warrior look of seasons past. And the dress Brennan wore in the present day-100th was so absolutely hideous.
HermioneGirl101
HermioneGirl101
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 444
Say What You Want : I'll watch Bones through thick and thin. No storyline will change that!
Registration date : 2010-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:57 pm

spectacularviews wrote:I would say there is a few things at play. I'm pretty sure she's said in magazine articles etc that she only wears natural fibres etc what with her being a vegan.

I also think Emily is a touch bigger (read - not fat, but taller, somewhat bigger boned, and not emaciated) than your standard TV actress. I remember her saying on the View once that she is a size 8, which is not large by any standards but is several sizes larger than your average TV actress (and is probably largely due to the fact that she's a lot taller than you'd think). A good costume designer knows how to dress that, but a bad one who sees tiny as "ideal" doesn't, hence the overtly-covered up look.

But, my favourite look of all time? The dress in The Woman in The Sand. Booth loved it.

You make a good point there. Emily is what you would call an average sized woman but in hollywood standards it's probably not that norm. She is very tall. Runway Model tall. So certain cuts and styles are going to fit her differently than someone who is 5'5. I don't know how to describe it b/c i'm not a designer....but I don't think the dresses that sort of billow out at the waste work for her at all. They make her look wider than she actually is. (I'm very short and have the same problem) She rocks in those fitted dresses. The one she wore in the 100th, while I HATED the pattern....I can't deny she rocked the cut of it. Same with the Roxy dress.

Emily wears some great outfits outside of the show so I guess that's why I'm so stunned that her wardrobe on the show has taken such a turn. She must be okay with it....or else you'd think she'd say something about it. Unless....she is just so nice and non-divaish that she just goes with the flow no matter what.

Someone from the show's camp mentioned last year that most of Emily's clothes in real life AND on the show are not only natural fibers, but Vegan too. So wool would be out and I'm assuming silk...and other things made of animals. As would leather. But again, Emily has NO trouble wearing great vegan outfits off the set so I'd find it hard to believe the wardrobe department couldn't find great things too.

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:00 pm

I usually take more issue with her hair than her clothes. They made it way too fancy and curly in most of the episode last seasons. I almost forgot what it looked like straight and when I saw it in the 100th I loved it. It makes her look so much younger and fresher.

It will be hard for them to mess up her new hair cut! I hope booth mentions it when he sees her Wink

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by i_heart_bones Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:52 am

tinkrella wrote:I usually take more issue with her hair than her clothes. They made it way too fancy and curly in most of the episode last seasons. I almost forgot what it looked like straight and when I saw it in the 100th I loved it. It makes her look so much younger and fresher.

It will be hard for them to mess up her new hair cut! I hope booth mentions it when he sees her Wink

Yep that's true. There was definitely something freaky going on with her hair this season, some episodes it looked really drab! I much prefer it straight!
i_heart_bones
i_heart_bones
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 6090
Say What You Want : WWDBD?
Twitter.com/IndiaGreen
Registration date : 2008-11-29

http://shortlybeforemidnight.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rexcat Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:19 pm

tinkrella wrote:
spectacularviews wrote:I would say there is a few things at play. I'm pretty sure she's said in magazine articles etc that she only wears natural fibres etc what with her being a vegan.

You make a good point there. Emily is what you would call an average sized woman but in hollywood standards it's probably not that norm. She is very tall. Runway Model tall. So certain cuts and styles are going to fit her differently than someone who is 5'5. I don't know how to describe it b/c i'm not a designer....but I don't think the dresses that sort of billow out at the waste work for her at all. They make her look wider than she actually is. (I'm very short and have the same problem) She rocks in those fitted dresses. The one she wore in the 100th, while I HATED the pattern....I can't deny she rocked the cut of it. Same with the Roxy dress.

Emily wears some great outfits outside of the show so I guess that's why I'm so stunned that her wardrobe on the show has taken such a turn. She must be okay with it....or else you'd think she'd say something about it. Unless....she is just so nice and non-divaish that she just goes with the flow no matter what.

Someone from the show's camp mentioned last year that most of Emily's clothes in real life AND on the show are not only natural fibers, but Vegan too. So wool would be out and I'm assuming silk...and other things made of animals. As would leather. But again, Emily has NO trouble wearing great vegan outfits off the set so I'd find it hard to believe the wardrobe department couldn't find great things too.
I'm glad someone brought this up before me. The fact is that she did gain weight in between seasons 4 & 5 and I'm sure this had something to do w/the wardrobe issues. I'm not saying she's fat, because I wouldn't mind looking like her, but the extra weight was enough to make a difference in the way she looked this season. She wore a lot of trench coats and a lot of shirts and dresses gathered at the waist to hide the extra weight. They even had her wearing more shoes with no heels this season which were not flattering for her at all when paired with some of the clothes. Look at the Harbinger episode where Angela calls her & Booth into her office to show them the computer rendering of the first victim. Flat heels w/that dress ---- not attractive. I'm not sure if she was wearing her lab coat in this scene. I don't think she did. Everything about her wardrob was wrong this season....and the hair....also not good.
rexcat
rexcat
Squint
Squint

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Didn't Emily break her foot last summer? I sort of recall some allusions to her foot being injured, that could account for the flat shoes, and weight gain as well ( although I'm still not completely sure she actually gained that much weight, IMO costuming played a big part in that)

Edited~~~ apparently she broke her toe,last summer. I have done this it is extremely painful and heels are not a possibility while it's healing, so that solves the shoe issue ( early in season 5 anyway)

tweeted by HH last July
Hart Hanson: Today's fun twist, Emily has broken a toe. It's always something. Ah, oh yeah, OUCH!

and this.

Emily broke her toe stepping out of the bathtub. I will tease her about new article saying vegans have weaker bones.

and this

Emily has teeny tiny elegant shrimp-like toes. So why when one is broken does she have to wear a boot bigger than Shaq's size 21's?

treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by rexcat Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:05 pm

treble21 wrote:Didn't Emily break her foot last summer? I sort of recall some allusions to her foot being injured, that could account for the flat shoes, and weight gain as well ( although I'm still not completely sure she actually gained that much weight, IMO costuming played a big part in that)

Edited~~~ apparently she broke her toe,last summer. I have done this it is extremely painful and heels are not a possibility while it's healing, so that solves the shoe issue ( early in season 5 anyway)

tweeted by HH last July
Hart Hanson: Today's fun twist, Emily has broken a toe. It's always something. Ah, oh yeah, OUCH!

and this.

Emily broke her toe stepping out of the bathtub. I will tease her about new article saying vegans have weaker bones.

and this

Emily has teeny tiny elegant shrimp-like toes. So why when one is broken does she have to wear a boot bigger than Shaq's size 21's?

Look at her in seasons 2 - 3 versus s5 and you'll see the weight difference. Not everyone that breaks a foot bone gains weight. I actually lost weight when I broke my foot. Don't know how the lost weight happened, I would have expected the opposite due to the inactivity but I was in such pain that I lost my appetite. So, it depends on each person's situation.
rexcat
rexcat
Squint
Squint

Back to top Go down

Post by MI_Bonesgirl Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:11 pm

I honestly don't think Emily's weight has anything to do with it. I think she's perfect. It's just bad costuming and hair styles IMO. I prefer her look up til S5 too but I didn't really notice any weight gain. I just liked her wardrobe and hair better. Even in the flashback scenes of the 100th she looked better than current day. She rocked the jeans!!
MI_Bonesgirl
MI_Bonesgirl
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1147
Say What You Want : Onward and Upward, Season 6!!!
Registration date : 2010-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:53 am

MI_Bonesgirl wrote:I honestly don't think Emily's weight has anything to do with it. I think she's perfect. It's just bad costuming and hair styles IMO. I prefer her look up til S5 too but I didn't really notice any weight gain. I just liked her wardrobe and hair better. Even in the flashback scenes of the 100th she looked better than current day. She rocked the jeans!!

yes! this is what I was getting at, does it appear she gained some weight? yes, does that have anything to do with the costuming choices? it shouldn't at all. My least favorite of Brennan's looks was actually Season 4 , Season 5 was an improvement IMO but the flowy shirts, housewife dresses etc, aren't very Brennan-ny at all.
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:05 am

In regards to her weight....Emily mentioned early in bones that she lost a ton in seasons one and two because her body had trouble adjusting to the stress of filming. She had to struggle to gain it back which is why in recent seasons she looks different. I'm not sure it's enough weight to account for the bad wardrobe choices though. It seems like it was a more gradual thing over the three seasons. She looked great in the flash back of the 100th. Jeans rock on her. I wish she wore them more on the show!

The shoes do make sense. She ended up wearing vegan ballet slippers most of the time with her broken toe. (i guess when she didn't have the boot on) I broke my toe last summer too! Even after six weeks of heeling it still hurt to be in high heels or boots. I lived in flip flops and flats until I couldn't anymore lol

It'll be interesting to see how the wardrobe is this season with her coming back from the islands with an awesome hair cut!!

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by katharine Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:34 am

She's a beautiful woman. I think they just try too hard to tone that side of her down, because it wouldn't be in Brennan's character to get all sassied up. Of course, she needs to wear appropriate clothes to be able to kick butt out in the field, but you guys are right, housewife frocks got to go....
I want some cute outfits that makes Booth eyes bug out like Tony's did when Roxie walked out of the bathroom with the tight black dress on.

Oh, and just a side note -------- maybe this should start a new thread, but did we ever see in the past when they have gone undercover besides the reunion event ---that they stayed in separate rooms. In the mountain trip, I know they spoke of separate rooms, but in Vegas they are getting ready in the same room. In Buck and Wanda, hello, do you think that RV had a lot of bedrooms????
That would be very interesting, but very out of character and story line, if we ever found out that their relationship hasn't always been so platonic. I know that could never happen, we would have known it and I don't really want it in a flashback, but it's thought that keeps me happy at night.

katharine
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by ddc Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:46 am

Glad to see I'm not the only one who wondered about the wardrobe choices in Season 5. Brennan's dresses looked to me like the von Furstenburg wrap dresses that were popular late 70s/early 80s (I don't remember exactly). They've had a comeback recently but I didn't like them the 1st time and still don't like that look. I understand she's 5 years older, tastes change, and Brennan's able to afford better clothes. But there's a differenc ebetween classicc and frumpy and the wardrobe people have erred too far to the latter IMO. They've done a better job with Cam's dresses in terms of style and looking good. But I can't see someone in Cam's job wearing the sort of narrow, fitted dresses she wears all the time.

I realize this is TV but in that setting they'd wear more business casual, pants and comfortable skirts or dresses, with the dressier clothes for meetings, conferences, court, etc. And no pointed toe, spiked high heels; stick with moderate heels for characters who spend most of the day on their feet. I always think it's funny watching the Vegas episode where Brennan complains about the heels she has to wear as Roxie then in more recent episodes (once her foot was healed) her heels are basically the same.

ddc

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next