Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is There a Pro-Hannah Media Push?

+8
tinkrella
recoveringbonesaddict
bailey
jhi1005
joybrennan
treble21
jro54
elyon
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is There a Pro-Hannah Media Push? Empty Re: Is There a Pro-Hannah Media Push?

Post by elyon Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:07 am

You know what's interesting to me is how many interviews all the Bones people are giving trying to push the 'Hannah is great' storyline. Maybe I'm not clued in on other shows but I haven't seen as much exposure for any other show as the Bones group has had. The more they push it, the more spoilers that are given away, the greater seems to be the impression that they are very worried. And for my money, they should be.

What does anyone else think? This is the first year I've ever paid that much attention to a t.v. show or visited the blogs so I can't compare it to last year. But is it usual to have this many interviews trying to push a storyline at the start of the season?

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1073
Say What You Want : Pyramids are better at change than you are.
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Is There a Pro-Hannah Media Push? Empty Is There a Pro-Hannah Media Push?

Post by jro54 Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:20 am

elyon wrote:You know what's interesting to me is how many interviews all the Bones people are giving trying to push the 'Hannah is great' storyline. Maybe I'm not clued in on other shows but I haven't seen as much exposure for any other show as the Bones group has had. The more they push it, the more spoilers that are given away, the greater seems to be the impression that they are very worried. And for my money, they should be.

What does anyone else think? This is the first year I've ever paid that much attention to a t.v. show or visited the blogs so I can't compare it to last year. But is it usual to have this many interviews trying to push a storyline at the start of the season?

This is the first show that I have ever really got interested in too, so I don't know if this is unsual or not, but I'm curious to see how will we "love" Hannah. What is going to be so great about this storyline? confused I think we can tolerate her, but I'm not sure about "love." loco

I don't think Hart&Co. are saying that that we should or have to like Hannah. Hart basically said that he knows that many fans aren't going to like her...but I think it means that we should try to give her chance, so we could at least try to enjoy the "Hannah" episodes...and perhaps she might do something to help move B&B foward. loco I also think that he's just saying that Hannah will likeable and nice because that is the point of the story arch-Hannah is perfect woman for Booth, but she's just not his Bones. Very Happy. If she was really mean and bitchy, than there wouldn't be a point to the story arch...and as much as I despise SO storylines, I wouldn't want to see Booth with someone who is a bitch to him.
jro54
jro54
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1740
Say What You Want : No matter what happens and the twists and turns that this show takes, I will always be a Bones fan!!!! Bring it on Hart!!!!boxing
Registration date : 2010-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:09 am

I don't think it's necessarily about Hannah. Honestly I think Fox is really worried about the competition this year, which I imagine has led them to reconsider how they were promoting the show.
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:22 am

treble21 wrote:I don't think it's necessarily about Hannah. Honestly I think Fox is really worried about the competition this year, which I imagine has led them to reconsider how they were promoting the show.

Laughing they do seem a bit schizophrenic about their promoting - like, promo's with Raghag, without her, Dowdy Brennan, Hot Brennan. Now all they need is a shot of the kitchen sink. Very Happy
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1532
Say What You Want : I like to see the roller-coaster before I get on it. I mean, how many loops are we talking here?
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:55 am

Well as I said on another thread, I think the higher ratings last season were because viewers expected B&B to finally get together. Bones people have made it crystal clear that isn't going to happen, at least for awhile. So it will be very interesting to see what the ratings do for the first six weeks. Where they start and where they go.

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by jro54 Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:12 am

elyon wrote:Well as I said on another thread, I think the higher ratings last season were because viewers expected B&B to finally get together. Bones people have made it crystal clear that isn't going to happen, at least for awhile. So it will be very interesting to see what the ratings do for the first six weeks. Where they start and where they go.

Mmmm...I suppose there is like 2% chance that it could happen this season, but I not going to hold my breathe...though I do think Hannah will somehow bring B&B closer together-Brennan realizing her feelings/Booth realizing that he can't move on...so I think it's a safe assumption that B&B will at least be on the same page with their feeings by the end of the season.
jro54
jro54
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1740
Say What You Want : No matter what happens and the twists and turns that this show takes, I will always be a Bones fan!!!! Bring it on Hart!!!!boxing
Registration date : 2010-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by jhi1005 Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:11 am

treble21 wrote:I don't think it's necessarily about Hannah. Honestly I think Fox is really worried about the competition this year, which I imagine has led them to reconsider how they were promoting the show.

That's one of the things that has really irritated me about both the Fox promo department and the spoilers that HH and SN have let out. IMO they haven't done the greatest job of building excitement for this season, which normally would be a minor mistake, but this year because of the intense competition it could become a major mistake that impacts the show negatively. Granted, I'm not a professional and I don't know what information they get on their audiences preferences, but more than any other season people seem cautious to commit to the show that they feel has burned them a few times, and when you add in that they have to go head to head with several established shows, it seems a little risky.

Only time will tell I guess.

jhi1005
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:23 am

Also with all the spoilers and now this whole reel of clips, some people may feel they've already seen most of the first episode. No excitement left. And episode 2 brings in good old Hannah. You know the scene of her appearing at the cafe reminds me so of the scene in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince after the quiddich match with Ron, Hermione and Lavender. That's how this whole threesome now looks to me. Hannah/Lavender and her kisses and giggles corralling Ron/Booth as Brennan/Hermione looks grimly on. You just have to love that Hannah -- or not. Bitter, me?

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by bailey Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:50 am

The only other show I'm following as closely is Law and Order SVU and the show runners of that show have pretty well put the entire premiere out there on the net for it as well. I guess the theory being if anyone is obsessed enough to watch all this online, they're going to be watching on TV the night it airs as well.

Did Bones release this much information last year prior to the premiere?

I don't think Hart is worried about being cancelled but I do think he's worried about losing his time slot.
bailey
bailey
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 811
Say What You Want : "You just had a rebound. Yeah, which don't get me wrong can be a really fun distraction. But, when it's over, you're left thinking about the girl you really like, the one that broke your heart."

~ Jim Halpert
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by recoveringbonesaddict Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:05 pm

What intense competition?

Other than the BBT, the shows are the same as last year. BBT and Survivor's ratings are about the same. The new show, My Generation, won't last.

recoveringbonesaddict
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2010-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by bailey Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:15 pm

recoveringbonesaddict wrote:What intense competition?

Other than the BBT, the shows are the same as last year. BBT and Survivor's ratings are about the same. The new show, My Generation, won't last.

I think BBT is the biggest worry .... just an assumption but as a fan of both shows a lot of their humor is similar and I'd think they shared a similar audience which means Bones will lose some viewers to BBT and vice versea. I think that by the end of the season or maybe even by Christmas that one of the shows will change time slots to save face. Or at least I hope they do so I can watch them both. Lol.
bailey
bailey
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 811
Say What You Want : "You just had a rebound. Yeah, which don't get me wrong can be a really fun distraction. But, when it's over, you're left thinking about the girl you really like, the one that broke your heart."

~ Jim Halpert
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:20 pm

I agree to an extent. It seems as if they are playing up the hannah storyline to the extreme. it's annoying because I don't like the storyline at all and want it to go away. Showing more and more about it is only making my excitement die down for the show to be honest.

On the other hand though, I wonder if they are playing up to the audience that feeds off drama/soap opera type stuff. I read an interesting article somewhere last year that talked about the culture of young people and why we/they are obsessed with drama and reality TV. It seems like bones all the sudden is trying to appeal to a younger audience and therefor, upping the 'drama/triangle/cat fight' type angle. A lot of my friends who don't read spoilers are excited for the hannah thing. They think it'll be fun to see brennan squirm. But, they haven't been hearing about it non-stop since May like I have....so for me, the excitement is dead. Maybe that's my fault.

Either way, I think this promo thing could backfire big time. You are either going to get more interest because everyone wants to see the fall out of the triangle....or less interest because people will just not care at all. It's unpredictable at this point. We can't say for sure b/c the audience is too varied and us internet folks don't make up the general population of viewers. I think Fox is probably concerned. Look at it this way....they gave away a MAJOR spoiler about angela being pregnant in a promo. I fully believe it was done on purpose b/c they were afraid of the fall out from the BB triangle. Giving hodgins and angels something excitement gives people reason to tune in.

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:44 pm

I think there is more competition than you'd think. TPTB are likely going to be looking at the ratings of the first few episodes of Bones - like 1-7 - before making a decision about moving time slots, etc. My Generation is by a former Bones writer who wrote eps for seasons 1-2 (doesn't even matter which ones - they were ALL good) and lately it's been getting some buzz - enough that people might tune in to give it a chance. Vampire Diaries is pretty much where Bones was going into season three, a small, loyal, intense fan base that has been growing in popularity with A LOT of buzz. All I'm going to say is this - Twilight, tweens, and remember how you felt about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Shocked Project Runway is going to overlap the first few episodes as well. Not only is BBT competition, but Thirty Rock is at 8:30 on NBC. Apparently Community on NBC is also liked.

Point being, there is ALOT of competition this year. Last year everyone was worried about Flash Forward, but COMMUNITY which also premiered in that time slot, made it to a second season. It's not that any ONE of these shows could knock out Bones. It's that there's enough going on to siphon off Bones' numbers - especially when there's a negative buzz about your shows' story direction and even regular fans are talking about tuning into something else. Bones is AWARE that people are not happy; it's being mentioned in interviews all over the place. One does not make a statement about internet fans being unimportant - if they they don't hold some importance. Basically, by having questions asked addressing the negativity, it gives the Bones people a chance to refute the things being said, play it down, and do damage control. Damage control such as this new thing about playing up how the audience is "going to LOVE" Raghag. Basic advertising idea - IF YOU SAY IT ENOUGH, PEOPLE WILL START TO BELIEVE IT. Shocked

IMO they are WORRIED. If the buzz about the show was positive anticipation, they would be less worried, because their core audience would be solid. Now, they don't seem to be sure of that - and they shouldn't be. Maybe they DID look at Nielsens recently and after doing some re-evaluating - affraid. It's like they are beginning to wonder if this 100th episode/SO idea was such a good idea. Shocked
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Say What You Want : I like to see the roller-coaster before I get on it. I mean, how many loops are we talking here?

Back to top Go down

Post by katharine Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:43 pm

I guess we will all see when the ratings come out... If the numbers aren't where they should be that will be proof that HH's group of rabid internet fans speak for alittle more than what he presumes...
It will be interesting to say the least.

katharine
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by recoveringbonesaddict Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:58 pm

joybrennan wrote:

I think there is more competition than you'd think. TPTB are likely going to be looking at the ratings of the first few episodes of Bones - like 1-7 - before making a decision about moving time slots, etc. My Generation is by a former Bones writer who wrote eps for seasons 1-2 (doesn't even matter which ones - they were ALL good) and lately it's been getting some buzz - enough that people might tune in to give it a chance. Vampire Diaries is pretty much where Bones was going into season three, a small, loyal, intense fan base that has been growing in popularity with A LOT of buzz. All I'm going to say is this - Twilight, tweens, and remember how you felt about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Shocked Project Runway is going to overlap the first few episodes as well. Not only is BBT competition, but Thirty Rock is at 8:30 on NBC. Apparently Community on NBC is also liked.

Point being, there is ALOT of competition this year. Last year everyone was worried about Flash Forward, but COMMUNITY which also premiered in that time slot, made it to a second season. It's not that any ONE of these shows could knock out Bones. It's that there's enough going on to siphon off Bones' numbers - especially when there's a negative buzz about your shows' story direction and even regular fans are talking about tuning into something else. Bones is AWARE that people are not happy; it's being mentioned in interviews all over the place. One does not make a statement about internet fans being unimportant - if they they don't hold some importance. Basically, by having questions asked addressing the negativity, it gives the Bones people a chance to refute the things being said, play it down, and do damage control. Damage control such as this new thing about playing up how the audience is "going to LOVE" Raghag. Basic advertising idea - IF YOU SAY IT ENOUGH, PEOPLE WILL START TO BELIEVE IT. Shocked

IMO they are WORRIED. If the buzz about the show was positive anticipation, they would be less worried, because their core audience would be solid. Now, they don't seem to be sure of that - and they shouldn't be. Maybe they DID look at Nielsens recently and after doing some re-evaluating - affraid. It's like they are beginning to wonder if this 100th episode/SO idea was such a good idea. Shocked

I agree with you that they are worried about the storyline, but I also think they are laying the groundwork for an excuse to the possible decline in ratings. I don't think Hanson will admit that his decision was wrong because I honestly believe he has gotten too full of himself lately. I, for one, would acknowledge that not everyone is in love with the storyline and would welcome their criticisms, but he has so callously dismissed the internet fan base as some type of loonies.

Look, I could tolerate the SO storyline if the overall quality of the show was on par with the first two seasons, but the quality of the show's writing has not been on par with those seasons. The only thing that has kept the ship afloat is BB. In the absence of BB, the other stuff must improve and the sides do not give me much hope.

Thanks for the info on My Generation (Bones writer you say -- probably one that did not like were HH was heading with the show).

recoveringbonesaddict
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2010-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by mommahurley Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:16 am

Maybe they just really like the actress and they are embarassed that their fans are trashing her so much?

It could be as simple as that? And they know that the ultimate effect of the storyline is to open up communication and self realization in Brennan, and ultimately bring them closer together.

I mean really at this point...it wouldn't even make sense if they just fell together, after what's been said and done even last season. So there's still some ground to cover miles to go to get to the place where it makes sense for them to declare their ultimate intention of being togeether.

Hanah is going to be a catalyst... and we should at least try to get behind that.

mommahurley
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:23 am

This would all be well and good if I hadn't listened to DB's interview last week on Regis where he said that people only watch the show to see the will they/won't they and that if they ever did, it would end the show. If that's how he really feels and the writers agree (which I have no way of knowing) then game over, folks.

And this whole idea of 'they will get closer together'. How can Booth get closer than 'I'll love you for 50 years'? And Brennan would probably have to have someone define 'closer' to her and then put it in context as an adverb and not a noun. I can see I'm already losing my carefree two weeks away from Bones attitude.

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:30 am

I haven't heard fans trash the ACTRESS - at least not on the Aby. Most of the references TPTB make aren't about liking the actress. It's about liking the character. I'm sure she'll be written as a lovely "person." It doesn't change her from being a stop-gap plot device in a story direction I find asinine. Hence, I don't care about the character and I'm just sitting out the show until it runs its course. That is my choice. l think we are all free to like or not like what we hear about or see and choose to react as we see fit.

I know I've said this before, but reading posts saying that everyone should just stop complaining and try to get behind a storyline I find sad and stupid makes me feel like I need to defend my choice. I don't tell people who want to watch that they shouldn't. I'm sad about the way HH is writing his story, because I've loved it for a long time. However, I've seen choices made and things said and done that I don't like. It's like I was on a bus to Miami, but gradually noticed it being colder out at rest stops and started seeing signs saying how many more miles to Canada. That's my experience - this no longer seems to be the trip I signed up for. So, yeah, I'm concerned and thinking about getting off the bus completely because the bus driver keeps saying "we're almost there."

However, the bus, in all likelyhood will eventually reach Miami - even if the route makes no sense. Hence, I'm taking a nap as we pull out of this rest stop. I'll decide what to do at the next one - somewhere around Thanksgiving or Christmas. Wink
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:33 am

Just in time for turkey! And with Bones that could be taken so many ways.

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:04 am

Joy you do not need to defend your choices, you have made your reasons blatently clear, and they are understandable. I think there may be a little bit a circular discussion here, because I have felt pressure about my choice to watch, which I then feel like I have to defend. Let's all agree that our decisions are our own and we shouldn't feel the need to defend those choices once our positions are shared.
Also just to reference the analogy, Canada is infinitely more preferable to some than Miami is.... but if you were expecting Miami, it'd be a huge disappointment.
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Evil Monkey Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:03 pm

joybrennan wrote:

I think you're reading way, way, way, way, way too much into this. The only competition I would worry about is BBT and maybe the new Shatner show.

Also, the ratings after the 100the episode were stable if not fine. Look them up on wikipedia if you have to.
Evil Monkey
Evil Monkey
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:18 pm

@ evilmonkey - I didn't say they weren't stable. I also don't have to goto Wikipedia - season five ratings are a sticky near the top of the spoiler board. Also, you are more than entitled to disagree with me, I just posted my thoughts about what's been going on. However, I will say that, in all likelyhood television executives who deal with programming are looking at even more variables than I've mentioned. Laughing
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:12 am

From the recent clips and interviews it looks as if the whole push to promote the Hannah story arc as the shining light at the beginning of the season has now been flipped to a push about how she leaves and what happens afterward. Nathan's remarks about Booth topedoing the relationship because of unresolved feelings for Brennan and Hart's interview about how Hannah is perfect but not Brennan are now putting the emphasis on post-Hannah which I find interesting.

I think they are getting increasingly nervous about ratings and that the reason so many other networks have piled it on Thursday nights at 8:00 is that like the good piranhas they are, they smell blood in the water.

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by MI_Bonesgirl Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:03 am

elyon wrote:From the recent clips and interviews it looks as if the whole push to promote the Hannah story arc as the shining light at the beginning of the season has now been flipped to a push about how she leaves and what happens afterward. Nathan's remarks about Booth topedoing the relationship because of unresolved feelings for Brennan and Hart's interview about how Hannah is perfect but not Brennan are now putting the emphasis on post-Hannah which I find interesting.
I think they are getting increasingly nervous about ratings and that the reason so many other networks have piled it on Thursday nights at 8:00 is that like the good piranhas they are, they smell blood in the water.

Which means that hopefully soon we will get some hints about Hannah being on her way out. Twisted Evil
MI_Bonesgirl
MI_Bonesgirl
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1147
Say What You Want : Onward and Upward, Season 6!!!
Registration date : 2010-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:36 am

Apart from the bit about someone have a minor operation in the sides for episode 5 and Hannah having a story to finish, there has been almost nothing about the BBH triangle since the sides for episode 3. Unless they shift gears significantly, my take is that Hannah should be gone by episode 10 which is more or less half way through the season.

According to my calculations, the sides for episode 10 should be up October 21st, exactly a month from tomorrow. Something must appear in the sides for the next three episodes that gives us a hint of what's going on on the BBH front and in those three episodes should be the Brennan-centric one. Of course they change things right up to the last minute but keeping H in or out is so big that has to be planned in advance.

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next