Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is a finale supposed to be?

+14
CanadianBones
i_heart_bones
gordongordonfan
sera
THX1138
nati.cba
heirofloki
SnoopGirl
joybrennan
future_anthro
tinkrella
MI_Bonesgirl
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
flyersfan35
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is a finale supposed to be? Empty What is a finale supposed to be?

Post by flyersfan35 Mon May 24, 2010 2:14 am

I have a question...what exactly is a finale 'supposed' to be? Because really...I've read 'it was okay, but not as a finale' about 50 times, (about last year's as well) on here and on another forum, and I really want to know. Because, quite honestly, a cliched cliffhanger, such as someone getting shot and you have to wait three months to find out if they live or die is really quite old...at least for me. I always thought that a finale was supposed to make you think and ponder over the next few months, which, let's be honest, from the discussions I have read, this episode has certainly done that. It's supposed to get a reaction...again, we've definitely seen that. And it wrapped things up a bit to be continued in the next season. At least, that is what my opinion always was. But I really do want to know...am I wrong? Last years finale was fun and fresh and gave everyone what they wanted (B&B together) without actually starting the B&B relationship too soon, and quite honestly, I loved it, though I know I'm in the minority. Even the whole 'who are you' at the end was good, imo...it sure had people up in arms and speculating about it, at least...but in the end, it really wasn't much at all, (which I thought was pretty funny myself, lol).

But anyway...if anyone has thoughts on this, please let me know, because I really am quite confused about those comments.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Number of posts : 68808
Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

Closing time - time for you to go back to the places you will be from.
Closing time - this room won't be open 'til your brothers or your sisters come.
So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.
Closing time - every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

What is a finale supposed to be? Empty Re: What is a finale supposed to be?

Post by Karlia-Wicked-Witch Mon May 24, 2010 4:00 am

I did not like last finale because I'm generally not AU person, I simply dislike AU ....pretty much everything.
I did love this one. And I am also interested in what exactly people wanted/hoped to see?
Sex? Kissing? Fighting? What?
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 16090
Say What You Want : Buena Suerte Y Adios Mis Amigos <3
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by MI_Bonesgirl Mon May 24, 2010 9:45 am

IMO a season finale should be the resolution of that season. A bookend to the season opener. A clean ending to give way to new story lines in the following season. I hate cliffhangers with a passion. A summer hiatus is way too long to spend wondering or caring what happened. I don't mind cliffhangers week to week or over a shorter winter hiatus but not for a 4 month long wait. I don't mind AU story lines. What killed season 4 was the ending dialog. When Booth woke up and said "who are you?". I wanted to throw my remote. It would have been better if he would have simply just said "Bren?". Hat would have made me say OMG he thinks they really are married and left me squeeling through the summer. I also don't mind time jumps if they are done right. I'm afraid this one is just going to be one huge mess. Another obstacle for B&B to overcome.
The only thing I wanted out of this finale was some solid proof of Brennan's feelings. For her to at least admit to herself that yes there is something there. And not in a way that we have to read between the lines to figure it out. Just some solid forward progress from her. And unfortunately we didn't get that. We ended on a down note with the promise to meet at the coffee cart in a year. Sorry but alot can happen in a year. And with this show and this story line that just spells disaster.
MI_Bonesgirl
MI_Bonesgirl
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1147
Say What You Want : Onward and Upward, Season 6!!!
Registration date : 2010-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Mon May 24, 2010 11:19 am

I'm in the minority too because I LOVED last seasons finale! Well, I loved it all but the "who are you?" part.

This season was the typical TV show finale. The whole point of a finale is to get people all amped up for the next season. If everything wrapped up into a neat little bow...why would people bother watching next year?

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by future_anthro Mon May 24, 2010 11:26 am

MI_Bonesgirl wrote:The only thing I wanted out of this finale was some solid proof of Brennan's feelings. For her to at least admit to herself that yes there is something there. And not in a way that we have to read between the lines to figure it out. Just some solid forward progress from her. And unfortunately we didn't get that.
I agree, but i think we did get that. Or at least we got enough that i'm happy. I'll admit that when i first watched the finale with some friends i was annoyed. I was disappointed. Then i re watched it and i realised i got out of it what i wanted at this stage. Brennan was thinking of Booth when making an important life decision, she wanted his input. Not only that but she was thinking about the future when she agreed to meet him in a years time and every time she said something like it's only a year (though naive in that thought).

In my opinion finales are meant to cap off the season and resolve some of the issues that were bought up. In this case it did that for me. It started with Booth thinking he loved her but not sure if he should tell her or how she felt about him and it ended with with that resolved. He told her and i think he knows how she feels about him.
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 am

Thanks tink and jess. That's what I expect from a finale as well, which is why I was so confused about all those weird comments.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Mon May 24, 2010 11:51 am

An example of a good finale is this season's "House" (and not because they kissed, could have gone either way.) Last year's was also very good. The whole season deals with the character's issues and development and builds through the season. In the finale those issues come to a head and are resolved, while at the same time entirely new character issues are created. Last year's "Bones" finale actually would have really worked if it was clear Booth recognized Brennan, but was unclear if she was his wife or not. Resolves one issue - mutual thought of love and desire - and creates another, is he better or not and is Brennan going to reveal what she'd been writing about. Instead it was soap-opera like. He has amnesia? Like, really?

The issue with this year is bigger. The season itself is split between before the 100th and after. Neither section seems to tie into the other. If I had only seen the last 8 episodes the finale would make sense. However, I watched the whole season, so, for me, it doesn't. It comes off as a reset - next season we go back to square one. Doesn't mean that finale scene wasn't well done. It just didn't seem to have much of B&B's five year history behind it - just the last eight episodes.
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1532
Say What You Want : I like to see the roller-coaster before I get on it. I mean, how many loops are we talking here?
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopGirl Mon May 24, 2010 1:18 pm

Karlia-Wicked-Witch wrote:I did not like last finale because I'm generally not AU person, I simply dislike AU ....pretty much everything.
I did love this one. And I am also interested in what exactly people wanted/hoped to see?
A hug and Booth whispers something into Brennan's ear. Last season she wrote about being married and having his baby! This year they hold hands confused The hand holding was sweet but a finale is supposed to build to a climax and then make the viewer want to tune in next season based on the final moments. There was a climax building as Booth moved closer to her TWICE but then SPLAT! -- they talk about where they are going to meet in a year Sleep

SnoopGirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9669
Say What You Want : Snoop I love you DB's Smile Smile

Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopGirl Mon May 24, 2010 1:21 pm

I have a question...what exactly is a finale 'supposed' to be?
Last Season finale of Criminal Minds is what a finale should be. Edge of the seat, nail biting ending.

Last edited by SnoopGirl on Mon May 24, 2010 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

SnoopGirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by heirofloki Mon May 24, 2010 3:12 pm

tinkrella wrote:I'm in the minority too because I LOVED last seasons finale! Well, I loved it all but the "who are you?" part.

This season was the typical TV show finale. The whole point of a finale is to get people all amped up for the next season. If everything wrapped up into a neat little bow...why would people bother watching next year?

I even loved the "Who are you". Razz

But yes, you are correct. That's exactly what TV finales are all about. We, the fans, sometimes forget that TV shows are essentially a business. Buzz is their lifeblood. Even with low ratings (not anemic, but low) a show can survive on buzz. There's the possibility for international distribution and for syndication in the long run, both good ways to recover a considerable investment. Sweeps season and Finales are the times when shows have to prove themselves and generate buzz. It doesn't matter if you kill someone, if you get someone to go off to an island, if you fire someone or if you break a couple apart. The only cardinal sin in TV is to fall flat -which, for the record, can also happen with an excess of drama.

Bones has done some lesser finales. The season 1 finale was a series finale in a way (very neatly tied). The S2 finale was also quite low-key (which made fans happy but kept the buzz on the down-low -and the series, if I'm not mistaken was still trying to find its footing with the network. This finale however opens the door to other stories, to new discoveries by the characters. There's gonna be a time jump (which people seem to hate, but I kinda love. I'm an Alias/BSG veteran. Time jumps can be awesome, too!!) which opens all sorts of possibilities. That's what finales are all about. So love it or hate it or anything in between, the finale works as a season finale and it works just fine. Now, if some fans wanted a kiss, well, I can understand that, too. But that's also different story. Razz

heirofloki
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1343
Say What You Want : "Alright. The apocalypse is approaching and the world is ending, and the riders are coming at full speed, but before that happens, I want to give you an apartment. Tell me which one!"
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by heirofloki Mon May 24, 2010 3:18 pm

SnoopGirl wrote:
Karlia-Wicked-Witch wrote:I did not like last finale because I'm generally not AU person, I simply dislike AU ....pretty much everything.
A hug and Booth whispers something into Brennan's ear. Last season she wrote about being married and having his baby! This year they hold hands confused The hand holding was sweet but a finale is supposed to build to a climax and then make the viewer want to tune in next season based on the final moments. There was a climax building as Booth moved closer to her TWICE but then SPLAT! -- they talk about where they are going to meet in a year Sleep

If they'd hugged, we'd know what is going to happen next season -or "know" in general terms. There'd be an agreement of a sort between them, an admission, an unspoken promise. Now we don't have any of that. Everything is very, very up in the air. We're speculating ourselves silly because we don't know. If we wanna know for sure, we need to watch the premiere at the very least (or not, if we don't wanna find out/don't care anymore YMMV). That's what the finale is all about.

I agree on CM, of course, but that's a different show. I mean, I'm not/was not biting my nails over the House finale, but boy am I watching the premiere next season! And yeah, that was a shippy, happy finale, but I'm not even a shipper for that show! I just want to know what's going to happen because I have the feeling it's gonna be insane -'cause no way is the season gonna be about happy, rehabilitated House. No way! So there, buzz created, and mission accomplished for House MD. It's a different experience for each show, is all I'm saying.

heirofloki
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1343
Say What You Want : "Alright. The apocalypse is approaching and the world is ending, and the riders are coming at full speed, but before that happens, I want to give you an apartment. Tell me which one!"
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Mon May 24, 2010 3:49 pm

I J
heirofloki wrote:
SnoopGirl wrote:

If they'd hugged, we'd know what is going to happen next season -or "know" in general terms. There'd be an agreement of a sort between them, an admission, an unspoken promise. Now we don't have any of that. Everything is very, very up in the air. We're speculating ourselves silly because we don't know. If we wanna know for sure, we need to watch the premiere at the very least (or not, if we don't wanna find out/don't care anymore YMMV). That's what the finale is all about.

I agree on CM, of course, but that's a different show. I mean, I'm not/was not biting my nails over the House finale, but boy am I watching the premiere next season! And yeah, that was a shippy, happy finale, but I'm not even a shipper for that show! I just want to know what's going to happen because I have the feeling it's gonna be insane -'cause no way is the season gonna be about happy, rehabilitated House. No way! So there, buzz created, and mission accomplished for House MD. It's a different experience for each show, is all I'm saying.

Yeah, the thing about "House" is that all the elements were carefully built all season - heck, over SEASONS. The dots connect. In Bones the dots just don't connect anymore. I am sad about it but I know I won't be tuning in for season six. I can see the writing on the wall and it's just too depressing. Sad
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1532
Say What You Want : I like to see the roller-coaster before I get on it. I mean, how many loops are we talking here?
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by nati.cba Mon May 24, 2010 4:45 pm

For the shows creators, the whole purpose of a finale is to give the fans something to talk about over the whole summer. To that end, you have a couple of options, but what seems more effective is to give a very controversial finale, that they know some fans will like and some fans won't, that way, they have the fans fighting and arguing, trying to convice each other of giving up/holding on the show over the whole summer. They generate news (because the press realizes there're thousands and millions still talking about that particular show, so they know that news - no matter if they are lies or true- will sell), they drive us crazy with false spoilers, and after a long hiatus, they have us ALL there, split as a fan community, but waiting for the season premiere to finally know what happens! They give us a great season opening, the fans that wanted to give up decide to give the show a second chance, and the creators got what they wanted!

Like in the war, "Divide and Conquer". That's what they've been doing since season 3 finale. And guess what? They've succeeded!
nati.cba
nati.cba
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by future_anthro Mon May 24, 2010 6:34 pm

flyersfan35 wrote:Thanks tink and jess. That's what I expect from a finale as well, which is why I was so confused about all those weird comments.
Yeah, i always wondered the same thing. Every time i see 'good but not as a finale' i wonder what it is people were actually expecting.
So long as it resolves some issues raised in the season i think it's fitting as a finale.
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Mon May 24, 2010 9:55 pm

Although I swore I was going to stay away from the ABY I clicked through my morning links and, like clockwork, here I am (Note to Self: coffee first, then Internet).

What makes a good episode versus what makes a good finale? Well I think Joybrennan nailed it. A good finale is a resolution of the season's issues while opening a new set to speculation over the summer hiatus. House, this season, had an excellent finale as did Fringe. In both cases we saw the resolution, or culmination, of the season's events and were left with questions lingering that would make watching next season imperative. How does the Bones finale stack up? Not well really.

House: major issues were his drug addiction, his mental health, his search to find a way to connect to people and overcome his mysanthropic outlook on life, and of course, to connect to Cuddy - the one woman who's been a constant in his life for the last seven years (or longer). The finale delivered on all points and left us with a whole new set of questions to ponder for next season.

Fringe: The war between the universes came to a peak with Olivia taking a team to the alternate universe to get Peter back. We saw the resolution of Peter's storyline, Walter's, Olivia's, and there were major changes such as the death of Bell and Olivia's alternate self infiltrating the group. I'm chomping at the bit for next season.

Bones: The major issues for the season were Booth's recovery and his attraction to Brennan, Brennan's growing emotional maturity and her attraction to Booth, the whole "will they/won't they?" question, Jack and Angela (the future of their relationships), and the Gravedigger trial. If you think about it, the finale resolved none of these issues because they were all resolved in prior eps. Instead it gave us a case that was more a distraction than anything else, a farcical adventure that was definitely a distraction (though amusing), and a rather rushed and unsatisfying storyline about the partners leaving one another for a year. Compared to House and Fringe it doesn't come in third, it comes in fourth behind last years! (and we all know how much I loved that one Rolling Eyes )

I talked at length with my Queen about this and how the episode could have been redone to be a propper finale and the only answer I could come up with was 1) make it a two part episode where we deal at length first with Brennan's decision to leave and then with Booth's, or 2) lose something from the episode, either the whole Sweets/Hodgins/Billy farce or the case, and spend the time focusing on Booth and Brennan and their respective decisions to leave. As it was the episode was packed with so much that the most important aspect of it, the leaving, was given short shrift - I wanted more, more discussion, more reaction, more intimate moments, just...more.

Oh, and about the handholding - really? It failed for me because it was an incongruant element in the goodby scene. It failed because the emotional buildup was screaming for more, so, so much more. It failed because they don't ever hold hands (sorry, ONCE they held hands). It failed because it simply wasn't them. A hug, despite what anyone says, is them. They've guy-hugged dozens of times but they couldn't this time because we'd know what is going to happen next season? What a load of crap! A kiss, yes, totally, I get that, but a hug is such a poor substitute for a kiss that I can't honestly see it as anything other than them being "them". A hug is them, holding hands is just a weak ass substitute.

Anyway, I'm going away again. This time I'll remember, coffee first. Very Happy

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopGirl Mon May 24, 2010 10:14 pm

@ king
Agree with everything you said what I wanted to but couldn't get the words out. I don't watch Fringe or House, only Criminal Minds, so those are the only Finales (Seasons 1-4,, 5 hasn't aired yet) I can compare to BONES.

SnoopGirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Tue May 25, 2010 7:45 am

Seems like people have different versions of what they feel a finale should be, which is probably why some people liked it and some hated it. Thanks all for giving your opinions!
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by sera Tue May 25, 2010 9:06 am

Wow, I was completely fine with all the character/relationship stuff. It was actually the case that slaughtered the episode in my opinion. It really had nothing to do with anything.
sera
sera
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Tue May 25, 2010 9:09 am

sera wrote:Wow, I was completely fine with all the character/relationship stuff. It was actually the case that slaughtered the episode in my opinion. It really had nothing to do with anything.
I feel the same way...it was the case that was boring to me.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by gordongordonfan Tue May 25, 2010 9:25 am

I LOVED last season's finale' (even though it seems many did not.) Thought it was exactly how the writers described it... "a present for the fans" LOL.

I wasn't sure how I felt about this seasons' finale' at first... but I actually do like this one too. I could have used some more "BIG" moments... but overall I really thought it set things up nice for next year. I'm nervous about the time jump and how they'll have B/B interacting with each other... but hopefully the writers will handle this with flying colors!

The hand holding was actually my favorite part of the episode... (I know it sounds weird LOL)... but I think it was WAAAAY more moving than a hug would've been. Of course I'd prefer full out kissing/making out ( [Only admins are allowed to see this image] ) but since we all knew we weren't going to get THAT... I like the handholding... it was very emotional and their faces... they were grasping and clinging to each other, until Booth very deliberately "let go"... the "step in" when they "almost kiss"... *sigh* very well done, IMO.
gordongordonfan
gordongordonfan
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by future_anthro Tue May 25, 2010 9:51 am

flyersfan35 wrote:
sera wrote:Wow, I was completely fine with all the character/relationship stuff. It was actually the case that slaughtered the episode in my opinion. It really had nothing to do with anything.
I feel the same way...it was the case that was boring to me.
I agree.
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by i_heart_bones Tue May 25, 2010 7:20 pm

IMO it wouldn't be a good episode without the case...
Obviously like everyone else I LOVE the B&B character development, but different cases are what makes the episode, and I didn't think this one was too bad...
i_heart_bones
i_heart_bones
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 6090
Say What You Want : WWDBD?
Twitter.com/IndiaGreen
Registration date : 2008-11-29

http://shortlybeforemidnight.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Tue May 25, 2010 8:31 pm

i_heart_bones wrote:

Obviously like everyone else I LOVE the B&B character development, but different cases are what makes the episode, and I didn't think this one was too bad...
I didn't the case was that bad, but it was kind of boring to me. I think I'm just tired of the 'it was an accident, I didn't mean to do it' kind of thing. But I do enjoy the cases most of the time; you're right, you need the cases, otherwise it's not Bones.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianBones Tue May 25, 2010 11:01 pm

yeah, it would've been a better case if someone had intentionally murdered him (wow, that makes me sound like a terrible person). I think Bones needs another scary serial killer, like Epps or something. Those were such intense episodes.
CanadianBones
CanadianBones
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1266
Say What You Want : they shouldn't be doing that on the forensic platform. - brennan
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by i_heart_bones Tue May 25, 2010 11:40 pm

flyersfan35 wrote:
i_heart_bones wrote:

I didn't the case was that bad, but it was kind of boring to me. I think I'm just tired of the 'it was an accident, I didn't mean to do it' kind of thing. But I do enjoy the cases most of the time; you're right, you need the cases, otherwise it's not Bones.

No I definitely agree in that sense. They seem to have started taking the easy way out with boring ass killers, we need some good old fashion, I killed her/him because I like to kill!!
I hope we have a new serial killer next season!
i_heart_bones
i_heart_bones
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 6090
Say What You Want : WWDBD?
Twitter.com/IndiaGreen
Registration date : 2008-11-29

http://shortlybeforemidnight.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next