Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David's Dad, "Rocketship 7", & 'Bones'?

+5
dawnsfire
DBCrazy
19ana89
THX1138
bugaboo628
9 posters

Go down

David's Dad, "Rocketship 7", & 'Bones'? Empty David's Dad, "Rocketship 7", & 'Bones'?

Post by bugaboo628 Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:54 am

I'll move this thread to the DB section of the forum after the episode airs.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

RETRO ROCKETSHIP: Those of us who grew up in the GTA in the 1960s will experience an odd shock of recognition midway through Thursday night's episode of Bones.

In a tongue-in-cheek homage to The X Files, co-star David Boreanaz walks into a diner in alien-obsessed Roswell, New Mexico ... where he is delighted to see a framed publicity photo of Buffalo kiddie-show host Dave Thomas and the puppet crew of his cardboard pseudo-spacecraft, Rocketship 7.

Thomas, it turns out, is Boreanaz's father. The Buffalo-born actor remembers tagging along on promotional trips to Toronto to meet the show's many young local fans. "I still have all the puppets," he grins. "Including Mr. Beeper."
bugaboo628
bugaboo628
Administrator/Head Moderator

Number of posts : 1586
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

David's Dad, "Rocketship 7", & 'Bones'? Empty Re: David's Dad, "Rocketship 7", & 'Bones'?

Post by THX1138 Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:51 am

That's really kind of cool, that he still has all the puppets I mean. I love it when shows slip things like that into the mix, it makes it more interesting.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

David's Dad, "Rocketship 7", & 'Bones'? Empty Re: David's Dad, "Rocketship 7", & 'Bones'?

Post by 19ana89 Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:58 pm

Oh cool!
19ana89
19ana89
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1938
Say What You Want : Ones who flaunt their power disappear when the truly powerful appear.
Registration date : 2009-01-13

https://www.facebook.com/19ana89

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:23 am

I think that's great to do something like that. Whoever thought of it must've been a fan. I wonder if it was David or one of the writers or maybe someone in set design.
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bugaboo628 Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:38 am

I am totally opposite. I hate any sorry of product placement.
bugaboo628
bugaboo628

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:22 am

bugaboo628 wrote:I am totally opposite. I hate any sorry of product placement.
Really, you think of it as a product?

I think of it as a piece of history. Nostalgia. I've seen several interviews and articles and comments with folks from back in the day talking about Rocketship 7! It was quite the kids' show in that market back then.
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:05 pm

DBCrazy wrote:
bugaboo628 wrote:I am totally opposite. I hate any sorry of product placement.
Really, you think of it as a product?

I think of it as a piece of history. Nostalgia. I've seen several interviews and articles and comments with folks from back in the day talking about Rocketship 7! It was quite the kids' show in that market back then.
I agree--that's not product placement. That's more of a nod to DB's past, where it happens to fit in with Booth's (Philly). All the more since the show is no longer on--it can't be a commercial. Unlike Avatar (which could have been worse) or the references to Fox shows that pop up. Or perhaps if they talked about going to McDonald's specifically as opposed to going out for a burger or fast food. That would be product placement.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by bugaboo628 Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:03 am

After seeing the episode I stand corrected. It wasn't product placement. I am glad that Hart Hanson worked 'Rocketship 9' into the episode ~ perfect epi.
bugaboo628
bugaboo628

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:41 am

Booth got to make a lot bigger deal of it than I was expecting. I thought it was practically going to be one of those "I Spy" kind of deals. That's a little something that they'll be able to put in the family album!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianBones Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:17 am

See to me, this probably would've slipped over so many people's heads and they wouldn't have realized it was DB's Dad anyway. I agree, a nice little nod to DB's dad. Also was amused that Booth was wearing his Flyer's shirt on a night the Flyer's were playing!
CanadianBones
CanadianBones
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1266
Say What You Want : they shouldn't be doing that on the forensic platform. - brennan
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by sera Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:34 am

I thought it was nice to see the picture in the diner, but the way Booth reacted was a bit too over the top. Perhaps it was bad acting mixed with bad writing, but I thought Booth came off as a bit of a buffoon when he brought up all the Rocketship 7 stuff he remembered. It was overkill for no good reason.
sera
sera
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:05 am

sera wrote:I thought it was nice to see the picture in the diner, but the way Booth reacted was a bit too over the top. Perhaps it was bad acting mixed with bad writing, but I thought Booth came off as a bit of a buffoon when he brought up all the Rocketship 7 stuff he remembered. It was overkill for no good reason.

I don't know, I kinda get all geeked out and excited when I talk about shows that I watched as a kid ( Polka dot door especially...... saying that now I realize that many of you probably have never heard of that show....but it was equal parts awesome and terrifying) So I'd believe that A) Booth watched it ( being that he's from PA) and B) got excited talking about it ( cause I would too LOL)
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by sera Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:58 am

Haha true, I geek out when shows I watch get mentioned [heck, I'm a current X Files follower so I love this episode!], but if they were mentioned like that, I'd cringe. It just seemed completely un-Booth to me and extremely exaggerated; more like the poor acting we found from David in Mr Fix It.
sera
sera
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:36 pm

treble21 wrote:
sera wrote:I thought it was nice to see the picture in the diner, but the way Booth reacted was a bit too over the top. Perhaps it was bad acting mixed with bad writing, but I thought Booth came off as a bit of a buffoon when he brought up all the Rocketship 7 stuff he remembered. It was overkill for no good reason.

I don't know, I kinda get all geeked out and excited when I talk about shows that I watched as a kid ( Polka dot door especially...... saying that now I realize that many of you probably have never heard of that show....but it was equal parts awesome and terrifying) So I'd believe that A) Booth watched it ( being that he's from PA) and B) got excited talking about it ( cause I would too LOL)
I thought it was a cute bit. And I didn't think it was over the top. I mean, he's out in Roswell NM, not anywhere near where it showed on TV. How would he have expected it to show up in the alien capitol of the country?!

And sera, you didn't like DB's acting in Mr. Fit-It? =| I thought he carried off that comedic style perfectly!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by sera Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:24 pm

Haha yes, but as Booth, he was just far too excited than one would be. Now David B I could understand since it's his father, but for Booth it was a bit dopey. If he'd reacted that way to any other TV show, I'm sure everyone would be scratching their heads about how out of place it was. I liked how he saw the picture and got excited, but to dedicate that much to it was a bit o.0...? When he started rambling about the characters and stuff, it was too much David and not enough Booth for me ^^; But then again, I've always been less than thrilled by certain personality quirks and interests that belong more to the actors than their characters. It would have been funny if it could go over people's heads if they didn't know of David's connection, but my sister for instance asked me afterwards: "Wtf was that about?" It was just too jarring. And I truly don't mean to be a spoilsport... it's just that this sort of inside joke thing is usually done much better.

No, I hated his acting in Mr Fix It xD I'm not challenging anyone else's opinions, since there are loads of films I love which people think are horrid. But in my opinion (which is most likely the minority around here), it was so cheesy, and not the cheesy that should work in this sort of film. With good writing, I think David excels, but his performance in Mr Fix It is honestly one of the worst I have ever seen, and I'm not exaggerating, child actors included. Which is a shame since his performance in Bones is almost always so good!
sera
sera
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:48 pm

Haha. The spirit of conversation is being able to agree to disagree when necessary. At least we agree on your last line: his performance in Bones is almost always so good! I love you
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by sera Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:39 am

DBCrazy wrote:At least we agree on your last line: his performance in Bones is almost always so good! I love you

And that's most important thing to agree on here, isn't it? Smile
sera
sera
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:41 am

sera wrote:
DBCrazy wrote:At least we agree on your last line: his performance in Bones is almost always so good! I love you

And that's most important thing to agree on here, isn't it? Smile
Yes indeedy! Laughing
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Here's a thought--I think it might show his level of comfort with her. I mean, if I was confronted with things from my favorite show back when I was a kid (one of my true guilty pleasures; of course I went out and bought the DVDs), I might want to gush/wax enthusiastic, but probably would not, depending on who I was with. My family already knows I'm nuts, but say a co-worker or new date--not quite to willing to look like an idiot.

I won't say that he couldn't have toned that down a little, but like someone else said, to find it halfway across the country in a place where the show never aired--surprise and delight can be hard to rein in.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

David's Dad, "Rocketship 7", & 'Bones'? Empty David's Dad

Post by bonesgirl96 Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:33 am

I thought it was very sweet of David Very Happy
bonesgirl96
bonesgirl96

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down