Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STEALING STORIES

+11
ToZiKa
flyersfan35
bones206
dawnsfire
Sany
SnoopGirl
RGPageantqueen
MoonlightGardenias
DBCrazy
THX1138
willgirl
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

STEALING STORIES Empty STEALING STORIES

Post by willgirl Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:30 am

Hello Fanfiction Authors (And Readers),

It has come to my attention this morning (thank you Filou!) that someone has stolen my story, word for word, and posted it as their own. I'm so angry I could burst! The reason I want to share this with you is twofold.

First, keep an eye on your stories and constantly check ffnet to see if anyone is using your works without permission. Yes, it is only fanfic, but it is your writing and you own it and for someone to pass it off as their own is horrible.

The second reason is this: I would love if this person was bombarded with reviews/emails telling them they suck. Yes, I am a vengeful person. Lol. I just want to make sure they never do it again.

Here is the link to their story: [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

I've already emailed ffnet to get them to pull it down, citing my own story Four Years as proof. (Honestly, it's Word for Word. Could you be so stupid??)

If you feel the need to express yourself about plagirism to this author, it would be very much appreciated. I hope it gets pulled down soon.

Thanks,

Lindsey aka willgirl
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9099
Say What You Want : Go Synthesis!
Registration date : 2008-05-30

http://www.synthesiscommunications.net

Back to top Go down

STEALING STORIES Empty Re: STEALING STORIES

Post by willgirl Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:36 am

In case anyone wants to do a side by side comparison, here's my story:

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:44 am

Okay, that's just pathetic. I mean how lame do you have to be to steal someone else's work - word for freakin' word mind you - and pass it off as your own? And did you go to her FF page? She's talking about how she's such a fan and finally putting up one of her own stories. Riiiiight. It's just so sad that I feel like laughing. BTW, I'm reading your story now, and it's quite good.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:50 am

I sent this message to the other folks that have already reviewed this witch's stolen story!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm writing to let you know that you have placed a review on a story that has been found out to be plagiarized, not sort of, but word for word!! Here's the information you need to know...

---------------------------------------------

THIS IS THE IMPOSTER!!!!

bonesfan1989
(1 story)

Things Changing for the Better (with 2 chapters)

---------------------------------------------

SHE IS THE REAL DEAL!!!

willgirl
(66 stories)

Four Years, published in April 2007, with 22 chapters and 228 reviews to date!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonlightGardenias Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:10 am

Wow, that's ridiculous. I was sure to post something. Thanks for the warning. I'm sorry this happened. Sad. You're a great author, though, despite someone else's apparently greedy need to copy you.
MoonlightGardenias
MoonlightGardenias
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1092
Say What You Want : Everything happens eventually...
Registration date : 2009-01-25

http://www.fanfiction.net/~moonlightgardenias

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:17 am

I just read that story, which is what sparked the story I was working, on, but I didn't steal your story. It just inspired mine. I hope thats alright?
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 5921
Say What You Want : There's a wild wild wind calling out my name, like a long lost friend, and there's nothing sweeter than American honey<3
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopGirl Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:42 am

RGPageantqueen wrote:I just read that story, which is what sparked the story I was working, on, but I didn't steal your story. It just inspired mine. I hope thats alright?
Inspiration and plagiarism are two different things. Four Years is a great story Smile

SnoopGirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9669
Say What You Want : Snoop I love you DB's Smile Smile

Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:46 am

RGPageantqueen wrote:I just read that story, which is what sparked the story I was working, on, but I didn't steal your story. It just inspired mine. I hope thats alright?
Your's is an original work inspired by another author's work, which is perfectly okay with proper attribution in my opinion. Heck DB is beta'ng a few stories for me now, one of which is inspired by another author but our work is totally different. So as long as what you're doing is really you then it's okay, and it is, so it is. Smile

BTW El, you're Abbey is cute, and the baby lisp kills me. It reminds me of an exchange in Pratchett's Hogfather, between a little five year old girl named Twyla and her governess Susan, "...exagerated lisping is a hanging offense" lol

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sany Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:26 am

Ok this is just insane. I mean really how idiotic can you be? Did she really think that she could get away with posting a fic word for word that was written by someone else as her own?

It's not even my story and I'm pissed off. I can only imagine how you feel Will.

Sany
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 17120
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:36 am

Sany wrote:Ok this is just insane. I mean really how idiotic can you be? Did she really think that she could get away with posting a fic word for word that was written by someone else as her own?

It's not even my story and I'm pissed off. I can only imagine how you feel Will.
The thing that gets me is it's so freakin' blatant - all she did was change the title and publish it under her name. I mean, WTF?! See this is what happens when you remove corporal punishment from the schools. Stop beatin' the little perishers and all hell breaks loose.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:58 am

I left her a happy comment, and by happy i mean a very angry and pissed off comment. What a moron. I mean seriously. Can you get anymore stupid? I mean, can you?
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 5921
Say What You Want : There's a wild wild wind calling out my name, like a long lost friend, and there's nothing sweeter than American honey<3
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:17 am

RGPageantqueen wrote:I left her a happy comment, and by happy i mean a very angry and pissed off comment. What a moron. I mean seriously. Can you get anymore stupid? I mean, can you?
Well, theoretically yes, I mean of course you can get more stupid, only at that stage of stupidity if someone didn't remind them to breath the idiots would asphyxiate.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:44 am

I love you guys. You make me smile. And yes, draw inspiration. I have no problem with that. Copying word for word? I do have a problem with that! Craziness!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Sany Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:50 am

THX1138 wrote:
Sany wrote:Ok this is just insane. I mean really how idiotic can you be? Did she really think that she could get away with posting a fic word for word that was written by someone else as her own?

The thing that gets me is it's so freakin' blatant - all she did was change the title and publish it under her name. I mean, WTF?! See this is what happens when you remove corporal punishment from the schools. Stop beatin' the little perishers and all hell breaks loose.

king RM

I know I looked. it's nuts. I mean really do you think that you can get away with stealing someone's fic just because they haven't posted anything, or updated something in a few months? I mean come on. Everyone pretty much knows everyone, and if they don't they know someone that knows the person that wrote the fic. It's just insane.

Part of me wonders though if this was an attempt to just get attention. Like back when a girl posted a flame she had gotten on her fic on another fic. The exact same flame.

Oi I could go on with this rant but I think I'll stop, or I could be here for days.

Sany
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 17120
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:24 am

you know, I read the 1st chap and thought, "Haven't I seen this some place? Is it a repost?" But I couldn't remember where exactly (meaning no offense, so many great stories, and I read so many a night...). I bounced her a review that said more or less that I remembered reading it before and was going to report her. There is a report abuse specific email on FF:

Report Member Abuse/Spam [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use this email to alert administrators of site abuse by other members: spamming, submission of content against site guidelines, etc.

Please be detailed as possible in your report and when applicable, include web link to the story, review, member profile, or any other evidence in question.

Found it by clicking Help rather than hovering over it.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by bones206 Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:34 pm

I copy and paste ff stories I really like into Microsoft Word, and save them to my documents. But, I never post them, as they aren't mine. I save them to keep my favorites organized and also so if the Internet isn't working, I can read them still. Would that be considered plagerism???
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2057
Say What You Want : I want to go ride my horse. I love my horse. I want to watch the new episodes of Bones. I want to talk to my friends about Bones. But, most of friends don't watch Bones. Sad
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:38 pm

@bones206: Not at all! I do the same thing. I have several of my fav stories on my computer. It's only plagarism when you take someone's work and pass it off as your own.
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:56 pm

bones206 wrote:I copy and paste ff stories I really like into Microsoft Word, and save them to my documents. But, I never post them, as they aren't mine. I save them to keep my favorites organized and also so if the Internet isn't working, I can read them still. Would that be considered plagerism???
No, not at all. Plagerism is the act of presenting someone elses work as your own. You're just being an avid reader, nothing wrong with that.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:06 pm

Exactly so, not plagarism. Might be best to have the author listed as well (to be on the safe side).

I've thought about doing that, too. Just haven't gotten around to it.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe

Back to top Go down

Post by bones206 Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:06 pm

thanks!
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2057
Say What You Want : I want to go ride my horse. I love my horse. I want to watch the new episodes of Bones. I want to talk to my friends about Bones. But, most of friends don't watch Bones. Sad
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:34 pm

dawnsfire wrote:Exactly so, not plagarism. Might be best to have the author listed as well (to be on the safe side).

I've thought about doing that, too. Just haven't gotten around to it.

queen
There are a few authors who've put out massive works, like Mama's "Boy from Philly", where I've encouraged them to put the story out there in Adobe document form so it can be downloaded for ease of portability and offline reading. I honestly can't think of a greater compliment you could pay an FF writer than to download their whole story to read offline because you like it so much.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:17 pm

I just got a reply from the author regarding my pm...

"dis is my first time up here posting anything so if it sounds like something
u read b4 i will gladly rewrite it 2 make it sound different but i can assure
u i dnt copy ppl things."

First of all, someone that types like that could in no way write such a well written story. Second...it's word for word...does she think we're stupid??
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Number of posts : 68808
Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

Closing time - time for you to go back to the places you will be from.
Closing time - this room won't be open 'til your brothers or your sisters come.
So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.
Closing time - every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:19 pm

*rolls eyes* I replied back and said that it's not just similar, it's WORD FOR WORD. This is what she said...

"its kool ive read things that sounds similar so if it pleases everyone i will
go baq n redo da whole thing.... i hate it so sound like something somebody
else wrote."
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:24 pm

And she redoes it like that, that's one story I can guarantee I won't read, even without the plagarism issue.

queen

be interesting if she responds to everyone--esp me, 'cause I told her to leave my stories alone! Sooooo modest. Laughing

Last edited by dawnsfire on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:28 pm

dawnsfire wrote:And she redoes it like that, that's one story I can guarantee I won't read, even without the plagarism issue.

queen
Well, she removed it, at least. But she put some thing on her profile that she doesn't steal other people's stories...well, I think that's what it says, she uses text speak, and it's hard to understand.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next