Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STEALING STORIES

+11
ToZiKa
flyersfan35
bones206
dawnsfire
Sany
SnoopGirl
RGPageantqueen
MoonlightGardenias
DBCrazy
THX1138
willgirl
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

STEALING STORIES - Page 3 Empty Re: STEALING STORIES

Post by ToZiKa Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:27 pm

[quote="THX1138"]
ToZiKa wrote:oho I think I made her angry.....
I wrote this to her new story:
Well...let's start with the good thing first...at least this time 'your story' is not copied word for word from someone else...I can be sure about that, because the grammar really sucks and spelling isn't exactly your forte either...
I guess because of that the storyline is rather lame so far...
I absolutely hate stories that have more mistakes than words and therefore I don't think that I could make myself read anything more from you.
her answer was this
excuse me i was just typing stuff up. dnt be coming on my damn thing talking ** i didnt knw about dat otha story so i would like it if u would stop bring dat up.
and this
i have u 2 knw dat wen i do do my stories i will most likely use shorthand so if dats wat ur referring 2 den deal with it
and now I am not sure if she even learned how to write in school.....seriously....how can you write like that Suspect
That's what I mean by her reliance on texteze. Writing properly requires discipline and repitition. She's a texter, not a writer. A writer can fake texting, but a texter can't fake writing.

king RM[/quote

I really had trouble understanding all that.....it's not exactly what you learn in school

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 37397
Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sany Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:41 pm

Oh my god. I think my eyes are bleeding now. How in the world does she expect us to believe such a blatant lie? Especially when her responses are like that?

I kind of feel bad for her. I mean is she that delusional, or that much of a pathological liar that she can't even see how sad her denial is?

Sany
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 17120

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopGirl Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:15 pm

flyersfan35 wrote:I just got a reply from the author regarding my pm...

"dis is my first time up here posting anything so if it sounds like something
u read b4 i will gladly rewrite it 2 make it sound different but i can assure
u i dnt copy ppl things."

First of all, someone that types like that could in no way write such a well written story. Second...it's word for word...does she think we're stupid??
If she re-wrote it, it most definitely would sound different! Very Happy

SnoopGirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9669
Say What You Want : Snoop I love you DB's Smile Smile

Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:20 pm

ToZiKa wrote:
i have u 2 knw dat wen i do do my stories i will most likely use shorthand so if dats wat ur referring 2 den deal with it
and now I am not sure if she even learned how to write in school.....seriously....how can you write like that Suspect

If that's how she writes when she 'do her stories', then how does she explain how grammatically correct the other 'story' was? *shakes head*
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Number of posts : 68808
Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

Closing time - time for you to go back to the places you will be from.
Closing time - this room won't be open 'til your brothers or your sisters come.
So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.
Closing time - every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Muahahahaha! What a joke...she claims will's well written story is hers, then takes it down but refuses to admit that she copied it...and then she writes this??? omg, that would just be funny if it wasn't so sad...
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:32 pm

This is my review, btw...

Seriously? You try to pass off a well-written, grammatically correct story that you stole from someone else, then, when you get caught, you refuse to admit it...then remove it and post this? And you expect anyone to believe that you wrote the other story?? Even if you hadn't copied the other one WORD FOR WORD, anyone in their right mind would know that you hadn't written it after they read this.

And I'm sorry...I would normally try and give some constructive criticism, and perhaps some pointers to help you out, but someone who would plagiarize another author's story isn't worth my time, and the only reason I read this and commented is so that you and everyone who reads this knows what you did, and also to remind you that we are keeping an eye on you.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by bones206 Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:37 am

Wow. That should teach people not to mess with Bones fans. We'll hunt you down and make you suffer.
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2057
Say What You Want : I want to go ride my horse. I love my horse. I want to watch the new episodes of Bones. I want to talk to my friends about Bones. But, most of friends don't watch Bones. Sad
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by bones206 Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:41 am

O.K. I have another plagerism question...

Let's say you found a really good story on FF.net and you were a writer that everyone reads, but the author who wrote the story is new, and no one wants to read her work. What if you posted that story, using your username, but in your summary on the inside, you gave her all the credit, and made sure that there was no way anyone could think that this work was yours. Would that be plagerism???
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2057
Say What You Want : I want to go ride my horse. I love my horse. I want to watch the new episodes of Bones. I want to talk to my friends about Bones. But, most of friends don't watch Bones. Sad
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:45 am

bones206 wrote:O.K. I have another plagerism question...

Let's say you found a really good story on FF.net and you were a writer that everyone reads, but the author who wrote the story is new, and no one wants to read her work. What if you posted that story, using your username, but in your summary on the inside, you gave her all the credit, and made sure that there was no way anyone could think that this work was yours. Would that be plagerism???
Oh, I could never do that. I would just pass along the info to everyone I knew about the story, and perhaps post the link on my profile. Get the word out, but never post it under my name. It's been my experience that a lot of readers don't really read the author's notes or anything, and then they would just be assuming it was yours. Unless, of course, you got the author's permission...then I suppose it would be okay.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:51 am

HA! First of all, Fly I love how you keep saying 'we'll be watching you". It sounds so ominious like we are going to tap her phones. LOL!

@bones206: That isn't plagarism but is probably not preferred on ffnet or even here. The only reason why is because people will get confused. If the new author is having struggles, there are certain little tricks (especially on ffnet) about posting at certain times, how to draw attention, etc. Ultimately, it is hard for a new writer on ffnet, especially since 80% of the fanfiction sucks. My advice instead is for them to post it under their own profile and just do the best they can. Remember, writing isn't for reviews it's for you. Those are just an added bonus!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9099
Say What You Want : Go Synthesis!
Registration date : 2008-05-30

http://www.synthesiscommunications.net

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:54 am

willgirl wrote:HA! First of all, Fly I love how you keep saying 'we'll be watching you". It sounds so ominious like we are going to tap her phones. LOL!

@bones206: That isn't plagarism but is probably not preferred on ffnet or even here. The only reason why is because people will get confused. If the new author is having struggles, there are certain little tricks (especially on ffnet) about posting at certain times, how to draw attention, etc. Ultimately, it is hard for a new writer on ffnet, especially since 80% of the fanfiction sucks. My advice instead is for them to post it under their own profile and just do the best they can. Remember, writing isn't for reviews it's for you. Those are just an added bonus!
Says the review whore...lol
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:56 am

And about watching her...well, I don't want her to think I'm actually reading her trash because I like it...lol
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:52 am

I'm not sure what that would be. Technically you're publishing the work as your own then giving attribution to the actual author - it is and it isn't. So long as you've got the actual author's permission it's probably okay and not really plagiarism but it is in a decidedly gray area. Perhaps the Queen has some input into this?

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:40 am

THX1138 wrote:

I'm not sure what that would be. Technically you're publishing the work as your own then giving attribution to the actual author - it is and it isn't. So long as you've got the actual author's permission it's probably okay and not really plagiarism but it is in a decidedly gray area. Perhaps the Queen has some input into this?

king RM

I agree--a very grey area. You're not claiming it as your own, but you're posting it under your name. People are likely to get confused. I wouldn't do it myself.

You could perhaps ask permission to post some of it, maybe the opening or a really good part, in an A/N from one of your stories as a recommendationfor the hot new author. You just have to make it clear that this belongs to someone else. If you've got your own following, they'll look into it; they might even if you just post the name of story & author. And just listing said story/author on your favorites pages on FF is a help--I've read any number of interesting stories I would have never known about otherwise that way.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by phoebsfan Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:29 pm

You do understand that by leaving a note at all, you are drawing attention to her story. She obviously has some serious issues. If she hasn't learned her lesson by now she never will. So the only thing you are doing is promoting her story by leaving a review and upping her count. Not to mention likely further damaging an already damaged person.

I was highly offended to see what she had done, but even more so to come here and find that we are attacking her... still. That when she tries to write something herself we discourage her. So what if it's crap, at least she's trying. The only thing we are doing is encouraging her to repeat her earlier actions under a new penname. If you don't like it, leave it be. She obviously will not do well on her own. Let that be her failure.
phoebsfan
phoebsfan
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4792

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:39 pm

Actually, I'm trying to get her to own up to what she's done. It's wrong, immoral, and not to mention illegal. If she realizes how bad her behavior is, hopefully someone else won't be hurt again by her actions. And maybe she'll just learn a lesson...because if she does things like this on a fanfiction site, who knows what she may do in real life. I'm certainly not conceited enough to think that something I say will make her suddenly realize what she's done is wrong and that she will feel remorse, but if I don't try, I'm as bad as the people who complain about something, but do nothing to try to resolve it.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeddie Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:43 pm

okay, that was a really stupid idea. you can't copy a person's work then claim it as your own, you have to be really messed up.
Zeddie
Zeddie
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 12060
Say What You Want : Fanfiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done
in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk.
-- Henry Jenkins
STEALING STORIES - Page 3 8d0b0409962e33290be09e7890718bde2b3c7fe1
Registration date : 2009-01-08

http://www.fanfiction.net/~csiloverzed

Back to top Go down

Post by redrider Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:55 am

I submitted a review of her "story" and here was her reply:

I DIDNT STEAL ANYTHING SO IF U THINK THAT THEN STAY OFF MY PAGE!!!!!! AND I CAN WRITE I DIDNT POST THIS MY COUSIN DID......

so I replied:

If you can write, prove it. You haven't posted anything you wrote yet.

Why don't you just admit you stole it? Your second mistake was stealing from an excellent writer with a large, loyal fanbase.
redrider
redrider
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://fanstory.com/mypage.jsp

Back to top Go down

Post by G Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:29 am

Well,
I don't have any fancy signature or fun pictures (...yet...) but I felt I needed to comment on this very interesting thread. I followed the plagarism thing from FF because I saw the story, read it, and was immediately suspicious. Somethin seemed henke. I saw that several hours later there where so many reviews, so i checked back into it.
I have analyzed forgeries and plagerized works, and anonymous letters(eg) so I was intrigued by the plagarism claims and checked out the original story. I perpared myself for an afternoon of reading for subtle styles of grammar and other markers.
It took me approximatley 2 and a half lines to figure out that it was not just plagarized, but in fact copied. Word for Word. I was stunned. Who would do that?
Willgirl, I hope you don't mind my reading the story in full. I quite enjoyed it. I can't even imagine how hurtful it was to you. I have dealt with professional authors who were giant babies, when the evidence wasn't nearly so obvious. The fact that you post the story on a site that encourages creative freedoms, with nothing but reviews and feedback as a form of remuneration, it just sucks that someone would do that.
Anyway... I'll get to my point...
There were a few people who commented on 'keeping an eye' on said author. This might prove interesting...
Check out...
bonesfan10 on FF.net.
I am willing to argue that this is the same author. The penname is hardlydifferent, first of all, and there are points of interest within the chapters that make me think this.( The double negative use... the substituting 'u's for 'i's... the general bad grammar.)
Check it out, and keep an eye. Once a thief always a thief.
The story is really quite bad, by the way, so her apparent claims that she really can write, are really just funny.
See what you think. I'd hate to see her do this again. especially to a talented author.
Peace...
out.
G
G
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 8770
Say What You Want : Vizzini: I can't compete with you physically, and you're no match for my brains.
Man in Black: You're that smart?
Vizzini: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?
Man in Black: Yes.
Vizzini: Morons.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:39 am

Thanks for the heads up, G-Woman! I'll check it out.

Oh, and welcome, btw...I hope you'll stick around!
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by G Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:46 am

Sorry.. the pen name has been changed to knajjfanofbones5 FF.net. It used to be bonesfan10.
The story is called "When to people are one".
The typo is not on my end...Hahah.

P.s. this site is very interesting. I'll def. check it out a little furthur.
G
G
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 8770
Say What You Want : Vizzini: I can't compete with you physically, and you're no match for my brains.
Man in Black: You're that smart?
Vizzini: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?
Man in Black: Yes.
Vizzini: Morons.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:57 am

G-Woman wrote:Sorry.. the pen name has been changed to knajjfanofbones5 FF.net. It used to be bonesfan10.
The story is called "When to people are one".
The typo is not on my end...Hahah.

P.s. this site is very interesting. I'll def. check it out a little furthur.
I was wondering...I couldn't find it, but I'll look for the new name.

Well, if you ever want to chat, stop in the IHBFC...that's our chat thread. There's usually someone there to talk to.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:15 am

I remember seeing that story, but never read it. Glanced at it now, and I don't think I'm missing much. But you might have a point.

Welcome, by the way--and don't worry about signatures yet; only thing I do is the little queen smiley.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:29 am

Thanks for the input G-Woman. I'm pretty over this now. I'm still going to keep an eye on things but I doubt she's going to do anything that blatant again!

As for her writing, it's not that great but at least it's hers! That is good to know.
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9099
Say What You Want : Go Synthesis!
Registration date : 2008-05-30

http://www.synthesiscommunications.net

Back to top Go down

Post by redrider Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:11 am

willgirl wrote:As for her writing, it's not that great but at least it's hers! That is good to know.

Actually, according to her reply to me, it wasn't hers--it was her cousin's!
redrider
redrider
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://fanstory.com/mypage.jsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down