Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Case or cake? - rated k+ - humour/fluff -by CheeseBk

+10
Cassiopeia
Polygirl
mrsdavidboreanaz
EDDB
ggjunkie33
katarina
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
ToZiKa
CheeseBK
willgirl
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Case or cake? - rated k+ - humour/fluff -by CheeseBk Empty Case or cake? - rated k+ - humour/fluff -by CheeseBk

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:16 am

Okay... here is the deal. This was originally a one-shot, but after many requests (and a kick in the ass from my muse) I decided to make a multi-chapter out of it, probably consisting of three or four chapters. I hope you'll like it. I know that I have other stories who need to get updated, too, but these days I really have to be thankful if I can get anything written... I can't be too picky, my muse is really moody these days. Thanks for reading, all of you, you're the best!

Thank you Ana, for beta-ing this chapter!

Disclaimer: I do not own Bones. If I did, the season 3 finale definitley would have been different.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1: Waiting…

„I hate it when we have to wait.“ Booth said, tapping his foot impatiently.

“Huh?” The woman beside him asked, not even bothering to look up from the medical journal she had buried her nose in practically as soon as they had entered the waiting room.

“Waiting. Damn boring.” He emphasised. “Read something” She replied casually and pointed to the couch table in front of them, which was covered in medical journals.

“I am not going to touch that stuff. Might get infected and turn out a squint myself.” He grinned at her. She rolled her eyes in response only to return her attention to the report on bone cancer she had been reading before.

Booth resumed tapping his foot, the ‘tap-tap-tap’ occasionally accompanied by a sigh.

“Would you stop that? I can’t concentrate if you make those noises all the time.” His partner addressed him without looking up.

“Sorry.” He mumbled and let his gaze sweep over the empty waiting room. He sighed again and winced in anticipation of some harsh comment from her side, but the ringing of his cell phone saved him.

Quickly he pulled it out, too happy about the distraction to check the caller ID. “Booth.” He answered and groaned inwardly when he heard his mother’s voice. “Seeley. How come you never return my calls? I left two messages on your answering machine yesterday and you did not call me back.” The accusatory tone pierced his ears and he registered that an amused smile played on the lips of his partner.

He rolled his eyes and answered: “Sorry, mum... I kinda forgot. Would you calm down a little?”

“Calm down, he says. You know, it’s no fun at all with you boys. Jared’s as bad as you.” His mother snapped.

“Sorry, really, mum. I came home late last night and this morning I forgot.” Booth replied, his voice gentler now.

“Hm” his mother mumbled. “Yeah, well, now that you’re actually talking to me... I’d like to remind you that in two weeks we’ll celebrate your Dad’s 60th birthday.”

“I haven’t forgotten about it.” He quickly answered, although he had.

“No, of course not.” His mother drawled the words out with audible sarcasm. “Anyway... I would like to know if you’re going to come alone... or not?” The last two words were uttered in that hopeful tone of hers, the tone she used when she suggested that he was getting too old to be living on his own. He stifled a sigh and answered. “It’s going to be just Parker and me.”

“Oh, Seeley. You’ve got to let a woman in your life.” His mother exclaimed.

Booth’s gaze flickered to his partner, who was – thankfully – not laughing... but suppressing it, as he suspected.

“Yeah. Thanks for the advice.” He gave back weakly.

“Honestly, Seeley, you know I love Parker, but it’s time for you to... settle down a little. And more grandchildren would be great too.”

“Really? Hey, why don’t you pick on Jared for a change?” Booth sighed.

“You know very well that he and Michelle are trying!” His mother hissed.

Booth’s eyes widened. “Uh... no. I had no idea. That’s... They have problems?” He asked, concerned.

“They’ve been trying for a year now. You really did not know? Well, now you do. But we’re not discussing Jared here, Seeley.” His mother’s tone made it clear that he had not forgotten about the initial topic.

“You know, mum,... I don’t think I have time for this now... I am having an appointment, you know...” He started to explain, but was interrupted by Brennan’s voice “Dr. Sweets is not going to be ready for us until nine. His secretary made that very clear.”

Booth shot his partner a death glare.

“What? Who was that woman, Seeley? And what’s this about a doctor?” Her voice sounded alarmed.

“Nothing you should worry about, Mum. My partner and I have to attend a psychological evaluation. FBI politics, nothing special.” He hurried to answer.

“Ah.” His mother made.

“Yeah.” He gave back.

He heard his partner make a strange noise beside him and shot her another death glare. He was sure she was laughing, although she hid behind her journal.

“You know, Mum... I appreciate your concern, but there’s nothing to worry about, okay? We’re going to have a nice birthday party in two weeks... Parker will be thrilled to see you again.”

“I am looking forward to seeing him again too... It’s just... I want you to be happy, Seeley.” His mother replied, resignation in her voice.

“I know. I am, kind of... so don’t worry.” He answered. “I gotta go now, Mum. Greet dad, will you?”

“Sure. Take care, Seeley.”

Booth closed his phone, took in a deep breath and glared at his partner, who was reading. Or pretending to do so.

“You’re evil.” He accused her.

“Huh?” She made, looking up from her journal to meet his gaze, a confused expression on her face.

“Don’t give me that crap. I know you’ve been listening... very impolite, by the way. And that you practically told her she had another ten minutes to tell what not else I should change about my life, was downright evil.” Booth stared at her.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She smiled sweetly. “I’ve been reading.”

“Sure, Miss Innocent. Do you honestly think I am thick enough to believe you need more than ten minutes to read that article?” Booth pointed towards the journal on her lap, still opened at the same page as it had been before his mother had called.

For a moment, her eyes widened a little. “I like to be thorough.” She quickly defended herself.

“Uh-uh. Thoroughly nosy.” Booth said.

“I am not nosy.” She frowned.

“Are too.” Booth grinned.

“Now you’re being childish.” She accused him.

“Just because you’re too proud to admit that you’re nosy enough to listen in on a private phone conversation.” Booth retorted, folding his arms.

“If you want to keep your phone calls private, maybe you shouldn’t be talking so loud.” Brennan gave back.

“Whatever you say, Bones.” He gave in and strolled towards the restroom. “I’ll be right back.” But he turned just in time to see the wicked grin on her face. He shook his head. Nosy, proud, stubborn, infuriating, adorable woman.

She wanted to play games? Oh, he was so going to pay her back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like it, hate it? Those of you who left reviews over at the one-shot collection (Shivers and other oneshots) already, THANK YOU. It wouldn't hurt to share your thoughts again, though (Just fishing for compliments )

hugs,

cheese
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9099
Say What You Want : Go Synthesis!
Registration date : 2008-05-30

http://www.synthesiscommunications.net

Back to top Go down

Case or cake? - rated k+ - humour/fluff -by CheeseBk Empty Re: Case or cake? - rated k+ - humour/fluff -by CheeseBk

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:16 am

Thank you for reading... and here we go, Chapter 2 is ready... how is he going to pay back? I mean what she did was mean, right?

Chapter 2: Im-bi-sill...

(ha, you’ve got no idea, what that’s supposed to mean, right? Well, keep on reading )

“Bones, we gotta go, come on, chop-chop.” Booth’s voice drifted up to Temperance Brennan, who was bent over an old set of remains on the platform.

“I’d like to finish this first.” She yelled back and jumped when he heard his voice behind her.
”How old are these bones?” He asked.

She exhaled slowly. “200 years, give or take a few.”

“See, a day won’t make a difference. Come on.” He urged her and she rolled her eyes, but left the remains where they were and headed for her office. “Where are we going?”

“Your apartment.” He answered. She quirked an eyebrow at him and he grinned. “You gotta pack, Bones. We have to go to Philly and we might have to stay overnight.”

She sighed. “Good thing I already have a bag prepared for occasions like that. When do we have to be at the airport?”

“Ah... we’re not actually taking a plane. No tickets available.” Booth answered slowly.

“Are you serious?” She asked. “Washington DC – Philadelphia? And there wasn’t a single ticket available?”

“Now what would we do with one single ticket, seeing as there are two of us?” He grinned at her and she shook her head at his behaviour. “Fine, I’ll just have to inform Angela and we can get going.” She gave in.

“Okay.” He confirmed and watched her leaving the office, grinning to himself. Man, she was going to be pissed at him later. Yep, totally.

“You DO know that we should have taken that exit, right?” Brennan asked Booth and gestured at the exit that was now behind them. “Or do we have to go somewhere else before driving to Philadelphia?”

“Yep. We still have to pick somebody up.” Booth answered cryptically.

“What? Whom?” She was stunned.

“You’ll see.” Booth gave back and she sighed. “Fine, be mysterious about it, if it makes you feel any better.”

A few minutes later he parked his car in front of a house and got out. She unbuckled her seatbelt, but he shook his head. “You don’t have to. Just wait. He’ll be here in a minute.”

The front door of the house opened and a blond boy emerged, running towards Booth yelling. “Daddy, Daddy... you’re here, I waited FOREVER.”

“Hey buddy.” Booth said, as he enveloped his son in a hug. “I’m only five minutes late.”

“Uh-uh.” Parker confirmed. “That’s long.”

Brennan watched the scene with a mixture of interest and surprise.

“You’ve got your stuff together, Parks?” Booth asked and reached for the backpack his son had dropped. Parker nodded. Booth opened the pack and peeked inside. “Those are only toys, where are your clothes?”

“Here.” A blond woman appeared in the doorway, carrying another small bag. “Kiss good-bye, Parker?” She asked and bent down. The boy threw his arms around her neck and smacked a kiss on her cheek. “Bye, mommy.”

“Be a good boy, Parker. Listen to what your Daddy says and don’t be mean to your Grandma’s cat.” She said sternly and Parker nodded.

“Bye, Rebecca. We’ll be back tomorrow in the afternoon or evening.” Booth said and took his son’s hand in his, walking towards the car.

“Booth.” Brennan said, when he opened the door. “This is your son.”

“Gee, really?” Booth grinned at her.

She acknowledged Parker’s merry “Hi Bones” with a smile at the boy. “Hi Parker.” Then she turned her attention back to his father and the smile vanished.

“You’re going to drag your son to Philadelphia while we’re working ...” She started incredulously, but he interrupted her. “Did I ever mention a case?”

She was startled into silence by his answer. “What the hell is going on, Booth?”

“Would you mind? No swearing in front of my son, okay?” Booth chided softly and buckled Parker’s seatbelt. “You comfy in there?” He asked his son, who was sitting in his child seat. “Yep, Daddy. Come on, let’s go.”

“Booth.” Brennan’s tone was bordering on being acid. “What is going on?”

Booth smiled sweetly at her while seating himself in the driver’s seat. “You are going to accompany me and my son to my father’s birthday party.”

She gasped, then glared at him. “WHAT?”

“What, what? I think I made that quite clear. We’re going to Philadelphia, have a nice party with my family.” He turned the key in the ignition.

“Are you imbecile?” She spat at him.

“What’s im-bi-sill?” Parker chimed up from behind her. “Nothing, Parks, nothing.” Booth said.

“Bones, no swearing and no name-calling in front of my son.” He gave her a stern look.

She unbuckled her seatbelt. “Get out then.” She hissed, practically fuming with anger.

He sighed. He should have known she would react that way. “I’ll just talk with Bones outside, buddy, okay? I’m not going anywhere.” He said to his son. Parker nodded. “ ’kay”

“What are you thinking, Booth? You can’t just drag me out the lab, implying we have a case and then you want me to go to a family meeting with you? Is this a joke?” Her eyes were narrowed, her voice sounding dangerous.

“Come on, I never said anything about a case. You just assumed. And as for the family meeting, call it a favour. After all you owe me!” Booth answered calmly.

“What? I owe you?” She asked incredulously.

“Sure thing. I did you a favour at Christmas, when Caroline was feeling ‘puckish’, didn’t I?” He smiled at her and was strangely satisfied to see a faint blush appear on her cheeks, when she obviously remembered the kiss they had shared. As fraternal as she had labelled it, it still made her blush.

“That was months ago, Booth.” She stated, considerably calmer now.

“I know. But you also listened in on a private phone conversation two weeks ago. You even took the liberty to play your evil little joke... Don’t you dare to tell me you didn’t, I saw how you were grinning when I went to the restroom.”

“Hmpf.” She made, rendered speechless for a moment. “But...”

“No buts. You owe me, we agree on that?” Booth asked.

She took her time, but finally admitted. “Okay. Yes, I owe you. But there is now way I’m going to...”

He interrupted her again. “You owe me. I decide how you’re going to repay. And you’re going to repay by coming with me and my son to my Dad’s party. Parker is thrilled, he really likes you. You want to disappoint him?” Booth gestured towards his son, who – as if on cue – waved at them from inside the car. Brennan bit her bottom lip and Booth tried not to grin. Bringing in the kid had been mean... who could resist that boy?

She was silent for what seemed an eternity, then she slowly said. “For him, Booth. I’m coming with you for Parker.”

“Sweet! That means you still owe me.” He grinned at her and she punched his arm. “No, I don’t.”

Booth opened his door again, just in time to hear Parker muttering. “Im-Bi-Sill. Im-bi-im-bi-sill.”

“Bones” He groaned. “What have you done to my son?”

“You wanted me to come with you, deal with the consequences.” She muttered glumly, but when Parker asked.

“Daddy, what’s im-bi-sill? Are you im-bi-sill?” she started to laugh and didn’t stop for a few minutes, barely hearing Booth’s explanation to his son over her laughter. “That’s not something nice to say, son. Bones didn’t really mean it when she said it.”

“So she has to say she’s sorry.” Parker remarked.

“You’re right. Sorry.” She giggled. “For saying it in front of your son.” She added under her breath, just load enough for Booth to make out her words and grinned when she heard him snort.

Like it? Hate it? Reviews make me HAPPY!!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Case or cake? - rated k+ - humour/fluff -by CheeseBk Empty Re: Case or cake? - rated k+ - humour/fluff -by CheeseBk

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:17 am

Sarah9488:

Hilarous... Can't stop smiling... I'm imbisill. =)
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

saraluvzbonz:

Very amusing. I love it when he blackmails her back....
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Turi:

ooohhh Booth's sooo bad using the child!!! lol. As everyone says looking forward to the next chappie!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Parker:

Who could say no to Parker?
The boy is just too cute.

I can't wait to "see" the reaction of his mom.....she will be so happy that he finally got himself a girl....

PPS
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:18 am

Dbangelfan:

ROFL love it!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:18 am

Hey sweeties....

.... thank you all for your patience and your kind words, here is the next installment.... I promise, the next chapter will have more humour in it!!!

Chapter 3 -
On the road....

Parker had fallen asleep soon after they had left Washington and since Brennan was not very talkative, Booth had turned on the radio to drown out the awkward silence.

After what seemed an eternity, his partner finally spoke. “How long?”

“We should be there in half an hour. Are you mad at me, Bones?” Booth asked.

“No, why would I be. Uh, let me think, maybe because you kind of kidnapped me?” She gave back.

“You know, I remember one time when you’ve told me that sarcasm is never helpful.” Booth answered calmly.

“Booth, why do you want me at your father’s birthday party? It makes no sense. I .... you know I’m not experienced in social things like that. The odds are good that I’m going to say something that offends you, your family or their believes. You’ll just regret taking me with you.” She stated matter-of-factly. “Do they even know you’re not coming alone?”

“My mother knows.” He nodded. “And I’m not going to regret bringing you with me. Though it might be a good idea to at least try not to question my family’s believes. And please try not to talk about decomposing bodies, at least not when there’s food in sight.”

She sighed. “You are going to regret this. And so am I and your family.” She muttered.

“Bones, you are my family. I already know your people, so it just fair you get to know mine too, right? And they’re going to like you. They already know a lot about you.” He answered and only after the words left his mouth he wondered if saying that had been a good idea.

“They know a lot about me?” She asked, the tone of her voice somewhere in the indefinable shades between wonder and ... fear? He shot her a quick look and saw the shocked look on her face. “Well, we’ve been partners for quite a time now. And to be fair, you kind of stirred up my mother’s interest when she read one of your books and saw it was dedicated to me.”

“Hm.” She mumbled, but he noticed that she seemed to be pleased by the fact, that his mother knew her books. “What did you tell her?”

“What, you mean, beside the things the biography on the backside of your book already told her? Hm, let’s see... I might have mentioned that you’re really good at your work.” He said and watched her dismiss the statement with a wave of her hand.
“I know that myself.”

“And such a modest person....” He mumbled teasingly.

“What? I can be proud of what I achieved.” She gave back.

“I didn’t say you couldn’t be proud of yourself, did I?” Booth winked at her and she rolled her eyes.

“What else did you tell them?” She asked after a moment of silence.

“God, Bones... I don’t know. Normal stuff. You heard my mother on the phone, sometimes I swear she’s better at interrogating someone than me.” Booth gave back, a little impatient now.

When there was no response from the passenger seat, he risked another side glance and was surprised to see that she seemed a little worried.

“Bones.... I did NOT tell her anything too personal or something.” He said soothingly.

“You didn’t tell that you had to arrest my father?” She asked after a long pause.

“No. But it wouldn’t matter. It’s not something you should be ashamed of.” Booth remarked, gripping the steering wheel a little tighter.

“I just thought that maybe your parents wouldn’t feel comfortable with knowing that I descend of a family of criminals.” She stated.

“I’m bringing YOU to my father’s party.... not your family history, okay? Which, and I repeat, doesn’t matter, okay? It’s not your fault your parents were bank robbers and your father killed somebody. And anyway, he’s a free man now, so why all the racket?” He asked.

“Because he is guilty and you know it! Can you stand the thought of a guilty man not imprisoned? Can you stand the thought that I made this possible?” Brennan choked out.

Booth shot her an incredulous look. “Bones, what the hell? I more or less TOLD you to use your heart. I was surprised at how far you went, but I don’t think what you did was .... wrong.” There was an audible pause before the last word and Brennan wanted to ask something, when she heard something that made her stop.

“Daddy, why are you yelling?” Parker asked in a sleepy voice from the back seat. Booth’s eyes widened in surprise. Over his conversation with Brennan he nearly had forgotten about his son’s presence. “Sorry, Parks. Just go back to sleep, okay? We won’t be there for another hour.”

A look in the mirror confirmed that his son already had his eyes closed again and silence settled over the car, until Brennan broke it. “You said I am family.”

“Huh?” Booth asked, not sure what she meant.

“Earlier. You said I am your family.” Bones repeated flatly.

“Yeah, well.... you are. You’re my partner, my best friend. You’re family.” He slowly said. “You know it... hurt that you made me admit you would have had time to ....” He stopped and looked back at his sleeping son. “This isn’t the right time for this talk, Bones. Not with my son here. But if you want to talk about all this, we will, okay?”

She nodded her head. “Okay.”

Once again silence settled over the car and both of them felt uncomfortable. Booth caught himself wishing for Parker to wake up, to lighten up the mood a little, but then his partner finally opened her mouth. “Who’s going to be there? You can at least fill me in on who I am going to meet.”

A smile crept on his face. “You’re curious.”

She frowned. “I like to be prepared and know what I have to expect.”

“You make it sound like a mission or something. Just be yourself.” He said, but hastily added. “Except for talking about cannibals or decomposing bodies, okay?”

“What’s a cannibal?” Parker chimed up from the back seat and Temperance Brennan watched with interest how Booth’s face paled a little.

‘At least this time it wasn’t me’ She thought, strangely comforted by the thought that Booth himself had made the mistake of mentioning these things in front of his son.

“Uhm...” Booth was at a loss for a moment... and was surprised to hear Brennan’s explanation. “Bad people who have no respect for the dead, Parker.”

Parker seemed to be satisfied by that explanation and Booth gave his partner a thankful look. “Good explanation.”

She merely shrugged and stared out of the window.

“Soooo, Parker. Bones asked who we’re going to meet later.... You think you can tell her?”
Booth asked his son and Parker merrily started to chat about his grandparents, his uncle and his girlfriend and last but not least, about Manny, the cat.

When they passed a mall, Parker suddenly got even more excited. “I know where we are! We’re nearly there, right, Daddy?”

“Yeah, Parker, in five minutes we’ll be there.” His father confirmed. He noticed that his partner squirmed on her seat and that she was rubbing her hands together.

“Are you nervous?” He asked incredulously.

She quickly placed her hands on her thighs, keeping them still and met his inquiring gaze. Brennan forced a smile on her face and said. “Yeah. Manny seems to be quite a handful.”

Booth chuckled at her attempt on a joke and softly said. “Don’t be. It’s going to be fun.”

Brennan gave him a doubtful look, but at least she did not object.

reviews make me happy!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:20 am

Tozika:

I liked it.
Can't wait to read more about the 'You're family talk'.
PPS
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:20 am

thank you for your review, tozika

Just like always... - I repeat ALWAYS!! – when I start a story, I try to make a short story... let’s say two or three chapters. Hah, fat chance.

I can already see this explode in a long multi-chapter like all the others. And I am truly sorry that some of my other stories are still waiting for an update... but these days I have problems to find the right ideas, so I guess I have to be thankful for whatever my muse tosses at me... Please understand.

Chapter 4 -

Meeting the parents...

“And here we are...” Seeley Booth barely got the words out, before his son started to cry out. “I see Granny, Dad. Look, she’s in the kitchen, waving.”

“I see her, buddy.” Booth smiled at his son’s enthusiasm, but when he caught the panicked expression on his partner’s face he turned serious. “Bones... you okay?” He gently asked.

“Fine.” She pressed out between gritted teeth and he saw how she visibly fought to keep her countenance. Her internal struggle made him wonder if bringing her to his family really had been an adequate way to pay her back.

Hell, who was he kidding, he himself knew he had not brought her to repay her little joke or the favour of the kiss at Christmas. As if he would resent kissing her, really.

He had brought her here because he wanted his family get to know her and the other way round. Because Temperance Brennan was important to him and she was part of his life, his family. And that was about as far as it was safe for him to explore his feelings, he decided.

He reached out to his partner, squeezed her hand gently and whispered. “Don’t forget, Bones... That’s my parents and you’re my family... so in my book they are your family too. No need to be afraid.”

He felt her relax a little and she shot him a thankful look. “Thank you.” She mumbled and his brows shot up in surprise. He could easily recall the few occasions when she had thanked him... well, when she had used the exact words anyway. Usually there was no need for her to phrase it like that, he understood her anyway... For a brief moment he wondered when they had reached that kind of bond, when communication had become something that did not depend on words, but was accomplished by simple gestures and looks.

Then his parents appeared in the doorway of their house and he decided to postpone his thoughts. It wasn’t as if Bones was going anywhere. He winked at her encouragingly, before opening his door. He waved at his parents and turned, opening Parker’s door and started to unbuckle the boy’s seat belt.

He heard his partner take in a deep breath, followed by the sound of her door being opened.

A few moments later he had freed his son, who practically leapt out of the car, racing toward his grandparents to launch himself into his grandmother’s wide opened arms. “Granny, Grandpa... I missed you!” The boy exclaimed and Booth’s heart warmed at the sight of his son and his parents.

He sensed a movement beside him and knew his partner had moved around the car to join him. “Come Bones... meet my parents.” He addressed her and they moved towards the house.

Parker entangled himself from his grandmother’s embrace and tugged at her hand. “Come on, you’ve got to meet Bones. She catches bad guys with Daddy. And she is sooo smart, Granny, she knows everything.”

A surprised smile blossomed on Brennan’s face when she heard the boy’s words.

“Nobody knows everything, Parker. But... thank you.” She softly said, while approaching Booth’s parents.

“You must be Dr. Brennan.” Booth’s mother said and she nodded. “Temperance” she offered and extended her hand. Booth’s mother however pulled her into a hug. “Call me Anne.” She said and stepped back after a moment. “And my husband, Andrew.”

“Pleased to meet you, Temperance.” Booth’s father said. “Likewise” She replied and was startled to be pulled into another hug. Booth grinned when he saw the astonished look on her face, until his mother threw her arms around him. “Boy, it’s been way too long.” She said in her typical motherly half-accusing tone and he rolled his eyes. “That’s what you always say.” He reminded her gently and pulled back from her to hug his father. “Hi, Dad.”

Brennan watched them with interest.

“Come on, Bones... you got to meet Manny.” Parker urged her, tugging at her hand eagerly. “Parker... I think we should help with the luggage.” She objected. The boy pulled a face.

Booth waved her words off. “Go... I’ll take care of it. Search for Manny...It might take a while to find him. He tends to hide pretty well when Parker is here.” He added the last two sentences in a low, confidential tone.

“He does not! Manny likes me, Daddy.” Parker huffed and – despite him being so much smaller than Brennan – he succeeded in dragging the woman off towards the garden.

Seeley Booth and his parents watched them leave and though Brennan seemed a bit unsure at what to do with Booth’s son he knew they would get along just fine. After all, Parker adored her.

“Parker likes her.” Anne Booth voiced her son’s very thoughts.

“Yep” He agreed.

“And he’s not the only one.” His mother gave him a knowing smile and he rolled his eyes.

“You think I’d bring somebody I don’t like? She’s my partner and my friend, okay?” He explained.

“Did I say anything?” Anne asked and Booth shook his head. “No... but I know that look on your face. Don’t try to play match-maker, okay?” He turned towards the car and asked. “Dad, will you help me? Parker brought a ton of toys.”

Anne Booth looked at her son and grinned. She was convinced there was no need to play match-maker. After all, the match was already made...

“Are you sure he’s here?” Brennan asked the little boy, who was busily searching under various bushes, cooing Manny’s name. “Uh-uh... he likes hide to under the bushes.”

“Why don’t you wait until he comes out?” She tried to put an end to the wild ‘Manny-hunt’, but it was futile...Parker was determined on finding the cat. Without further ado, he vanished between the twigs.

Brennan was startled. What was she supposed to do now? Follow they boy? She glanced down at her clothes and shrugged. After all, she had thought they would be going to a crime scene and had her work-clothes on. She pushed the twigs apart and followed the little boy.

“Are they still searching for the cat?” Booth asked incredulously, when his partner and his son had not returned to the house half an hour after he had last seen them.

“Seems so.” His father confirmed and shrugged. “I doubt they will find him. You know he always needs a few hours to get accustomed to Parker’s...eh... temperament.”

Booth chuckled. That surly was a diplomatic way to phrase it. Manny was an old cat, used to lead an uneventful, peaceful life. Parker was like a hurricane, but he adored the cat... a sentiment that remained unreturned.

“When is Jared going to come?” He asked his father. “In half an hour or so. You know him, he makes sure to come when most of the work is done.” Andrew Booth chuckled while he checked on the coal in the grill. His son snorted in agreement.

They stood there in silence, both only sipping their beer in a way only father and son could, while still understanding each other wordlessly. Then suddenly a cry pierced their ears and Booth nearly dropped his beer. “That was Parker.” He exclaimed and tried to locate the voice of his son.

When he found him a few minutes later, he had to pause for a moment to take in the scene before him.

Parker was sitting on Brennan’s lap in the backyard, sniffling as if he had been crying. She murmured assuring words to him while she softly sprinkled his right hand with cold water from the hose. Booth cleared his throat. “What happened?”

Brennan did not look up, her concentration on keeping the gentle drizzle of water steadily on Parker’s hand. “T’was a bee, Daddy. A big one.” Parker said. “But Bones made it alright.”

Booth smiled upon hearing his son’s words. “Did she?” “Uh-uh.” Parker made.

Brennan reached for the tap and stood up, making sure Parker was standing steadily on his own feet. “I’m sure your Grandmother has some kind of salve for this.” She stated and Booth was amazed to see how well she really got along with his son.

But since she should not feel obligated to care for him he offered: “Should I take him?”

“It’s okay.” She said. “He’s a big boy, right? You’ll walk in and tell your Grandmother what happened? Or do you need you father to come?” She asked Parker and the boy grinned at her, happy to be treated like a grown up now. “I can go by myself.” He left them in the backyard and Booth smiled at his partner. “Thank you for taking care of him.”

She simply nodded and the movement of her hair caused Booth to notice something. “Hold still, you’ve got leaves in your hair.” He reached out and gently collected the leaves.

“Your son insisted that the cat has to be hiding somewhere in that...thicket.” She pointed towards the bushes.

“Manny won’t come out until he wants to.” Booth remarked.

“That’s what I tried to tell him, but he wouldn’t listen.” Brennan agreed and shrugged. “Good thing that I have my work clothes on...” Suddenly a thought occurred to her. “I am not exactly dressed for a birthday party.”

Booth shook his head. “It’s just a Barbecue, Bones. You look fine... Except for the dirt in your face.”

“What dirt?” She exclaimed and he laughed. “Got ya!”

She frowned. “You’re more childish than your son, Booth, and he is six years old.” She chided and he flashed her his charm smile. “Come on. Let’s join my father. Parker’s not going to come out soon, I bet my mother feeds him something against the pain.”

She frowned. “I doubt he needs medication.”

“Chocolate, Bones. I’m talking about chocolate. And since I don’t want to be in on that masterful spoiling of my son, I wont go to the kitchen now. He thinks I don’t know about my Mom’s chocolate stock.” He gave her a boyish grin and she shook her head, clearly not understanding his motives, but for once she decided not to start a debate about it.

“So, when are the others going to arrive?” She asked, when they heard a car approaching.

“I guess now.” Booth answered. True enough, a few moments later voices could be heard. “Dad, you already got everything ready? Sorry we’re late...” Jared’s voice drifted towards them and Seeley Booth chuckled. “Yeah, sure...” He murmured and Brennan shot him a confused look.

“Jared always is late.” He explained. “To make sure the work is done when he arrives.”

A frown appeared on her face. “Your parents let him go away with that?” She asked.

Booth only shrugged. “He’s always been like that. Doesn’t matter, I only see him a few times a year, I can bear it. Now come on, you’ll have a great time talking to Michelle... she’s a squint too.”

“Scientist.” She corrected. “What branch?” Brennan asked while watching the couple leave the car.

Booth gave her a funny look. “How would I know? Something squintish.”

Reviews make me very happy!! And doesn’t everybody have a brother or sister who knows how to avoid these kind of things? I do, anyway

Lots of love to all of you,

Cheese
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:23 am

Chapter 5 -
No case, but cake?

Temperance Brennan could hardly believe it. She was – in fact – really enjoying herself. She was engaged in a discussion with Jared’s wife – aka the ‘other’ squint – who had a doctor in mathematics and was interested in ancient history. The combination was a bit odd, but made for interesting discussions. Which - of course – caused Jared and Seeley Booth to repeatedly mutter things like ‘eggheads’, ‘squints’ or ‘people from outer space’.

Anne Booth however knew that they both meant it in an affectionate way.... even though only Jared was actually married to one of the women, her other son seemed to have it just as bad, although he would never admit that to anyone.

Hour after hour passed by without Temperance Brennan even noticing it. When she did not discuss something with Michelle, she was busily explaining things to Parker or talking to somebody else of Booth’s family. And Booth just marvelled in the way she seemed to fit in, no ‘social awkwardness’ palpable at all.

And when finally Manny the cat stalked towards them, Parker’s happy exclamations made her smile so broadly, Booth was convinced he had never seen anything more beautiful in his life.

Brennan was right in the middle of a conversation with Andrew Booth, when her mobile chimed up. Her eyebrows shot up in surprise, when she saw the caller ID and she excused herself to answer the call in a in – what she assumed was – a safe distance away from the table.

“Hello Angela!” She said.

“Bren, Sweetie. Are you at the scene?” Her best friend asked.

Brennan gave the table a doubtful look. In all fairness, there were remains there... albeit not of a human body but of the rather delicious birthday cake. She settled for a half-truth. “More or less.”

“What’s that supposed to mean? Listen, I’m still at the lab, but I’d like to leave, you know? So if you don’t have anything to be sent over, I’m outta here.” Angela said.

“Oh, Angela, I’m sorry. There won’t be anything today. You can go home...”
“Mom, is there more of that cake somewhere?” Booth yelled at that very moment and Brennan winced.

“Wait a minute. Was that Booth?” Angela asked with audible excitement.

Brennan was still debating with herself if she should deny it or not, when she heard Andrew Booth holler: “Seeley, give you mother a break, will you!” Brennan closed her eyes.
She was so screwed.

“Oh. My. God.” Angela’s squeal was nearly deafening. “What is going on there, Bren? You’re meeting his family. Is there something you haven’t told me? Oh, my God..... You.. and Booth... There is no case, right? Why are you meeting his family?” The endless flood of questions, occasionally interrupted by a squeal and thumping sound – Brennan assumed Angela was jumping up and down – made Brennan’s mind oddly numb.

“Angela.” She replied weakly. “It’s not what you think. He tricked me.”

“Oh, did he now?” Angela giggled. “Into what? Marriage? Life-long commitment?”

“Angela!” Brennan snapped. “He said there was a case.”

“Bones, if you don’t come here right this minute, your cake will be history!” Booth’s voice could be heard and Angela squealed again. “No case, but cake? Oh.... I like this, Sweetie.”

“Angela, please. Don’t misinterpret this. I owed him a favour since he kissed me at Christmas and he tricked me....”

“You guys did what? You KISSED? And you never told me?” Angela screamed and Brennan winced in pain. She held the phone at arm’s length and waited for a few moments until she could not hear her best friend’s voice anymore.

“Don’t scream like that.” Brennan said, when she brought the phone back to her ear.

“You can not dump things like that on me and expect me to remain quiet, Sweetie. This is huge! I can’t believe it. You kissed at Christmas.... oh my God.... You never told me.” Now her voice clearly held an accusatory tone.

“It was nothing, Angela. Caroline was feeling puckish – her words not mine – and decided that in order to see my family at Christmas I had to kiss Booth in front of her. Under a twig of mistletoe.” Brennan hurried to explain.

“Ohhhhh” Angela cooed. “Misteltoe. I should have thought about that myself.”

“Angela, please... would you calm down already? I told you, it was nothing, okay? But I owe him and so he decided that I repay by coming to his father’s birthday party with him and Parker. And, his brother and his wife are here too.”

“You’re meeting his entire family?” Angela was back to squealing again.

“What’s so special, he knows my entire family too. Well, what’s left of it anyway....” Brennan mused.

“Yeah, because he had to arrest them. Sweetie, this means something, mark my words.”
Angela said.

“Angela...” Brennan started to object, when she felt somebody tugging at her hand.

“Bones?” Parker asked. “Can I have your cake? Manny ate mine and now I got no cake....” His eyes brimmed with tears and a sudden wave of tenderness washed through her.
“Of course you can have my cake, Parker. Hurry and make sure Manny doesn’t eat it, okay?” She said.
Parker threw his arms around her waist and said. “Thanks, Bones... you’re the best.” Then he ran back to the table to make sure the cat had no chance to steal the cake.

Another high-pitched squeal which sounded like a distorted version of the word ‘cute’ pierced Brennan’s ear and made her wince in pain. She decided to wait until Angela had calmed down a little.

“Bones! What is keeping you so long?” Booth asked from behind her and Brennan gasped in shock. “Don’t sneak up on me like that!” She hissed.

“Is that Booth?” Angela asked curiously.
“Yes.” Brennan confirmed and gave her partner a murderous look. She extended her hand with the phone towards him. “There. Explain to Angela why I’m here.”

“No way!” Booth shook his head. “She’ll probably make me deaf or something. Your friend, your powers of hearing.” He grinned cockily.

“But you’re the reason I’m here!” Brennan accused him.

“Nu-uh” Booth shook his head. “You’re the reason you’re here. You owed me since Christmas AND you listened in on a private phone conversation. And to show you that I’m not as impolite as you, I’m going to leave now. Say hi and bye to Angela from me.” Booth grinned again.

“I hate you.” Brennan said glumly.

“Uh-uh. I love you, too.” Booth smiled and turned to leave and only when he had his back towards her, he realised how easily the unfamiliar words had tumbled from his lips. His eyes widened for a moment, but he resumed walking towards his parents as if nothing out of order had happened.

Brennan watched him leave and shook her head, then returned her phone to her ear. “Still there, Ange?” She asked.

“Oh, yeah. And you can tell him I heard that he said he loves you.” Angela giggled.

“He’s gone now. And he didn’t mean that, Angela.” Brennan rolled her eyes. “It was merely a retort.”

“Really? Hmmmm, why exactly are you at his parents’ house, sharing cake with his son? Ah, yes...because you OWED him. Uh-uh.... I’m so NOT convinced, Sweetie. Now, go and enjoy your evening. And call me first thing tomorrow when you are at home and give me details.
Oh, oh..... one last question sweetie. Where are you going to sleep? Do you have a separate room or are you going to share with Booth?” There definitely was a suggestive undertone in her voice.

“I hate you, too!” Brennan informed her best friend.

“Oh, sure you do.” Angela giggled in the phone. “Oh, I can’t believe this....you are at Booth’s parents home. This is too good to be true.”

A sigh escaped Brennan’s lips. “Stop it. Please.”

“Call me, Sweetie. And do all the things I would do if I was you.” Angela said and hung up before Brennan could answer.

Temperance Brennan gave her phone a dark look before she shoved it back into the pocket of her jacket. Her eyes settled on the table and the people seated around it.
She caught Booth watching her and a jolt went through her when she saw the intense look on his face. Brennan drew in a ragged breath and quickly averted her eyes, not sure how to deal with this situation. What if Angela wasn’t wrong, after all?

Please let me know what you think!!!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:26 am

Tozika:

Another long story is absolutely no problem!

Booth's parents seem to be very nice people.
And they really seem to like her.

I liked the Bones/Parker interaction especially the thing with the bee.

I got a sister who is exavtly like Jared....she is always trying to get away without doing anything.
And most of the time it even works...
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Tozika:

Second new chapter:
Bones didn't even notice that with every word she said to Angela she only made it worse.

First with the more or less a case and then she even admitted their christmas kiss!

I only hope she won't distance herself from Booth now, that she seems to start seeing what everyone else knew for a long time, that Booth loves her.
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

nane:

Hmmm Cheese, what can I say...how can we punish you for always writing more that planed?

Maybe cookies till the end of days? LOL
No problem, I´m willing to suffer from endless stories...
Funny story....will there be no angst this time??? You can give it a break cliffie queen.
Now Booth has tobear his slip of tongue LOL Let him squirm. And just to say: I´m proud of Brennan. She is doing just fine....
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Katarina:

yay, I love this fic cheese I read it over at the ff.net until I realized that it´s yours and I can read it here... Please update soon, will you?
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:27 am

EDDB:

ahhh <3 soo good! excellent work CheeseBK!! i can totally see this made into a romantic episode ehehe

more more more please!!!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Turi:

HELLO! CHEESEE!!
I feel so bad since I haven't left you a proper review about the chappie yet!!
WONDERFUL!!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Turi:

Sorry it cut me off in the middle of it.

I can't wait to see where this goes!! oh and the sleeping arrangement!! Ange is such a naughty girl!!
**giggles**

Oh and a 'q' won't the cake get sick 'cause he ate a piece of cake? sorry if the question is dumb but I do not know much about the feline family
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:46 pm

Thank you people for your reviews and for waiting (more or less) patiently Wink Laughing Smile Surprised

Chapter 6 -
Family

“Bones? Look, there is a bit left of the cake, you wanna share?” Parker interrupted her thoughts and she nodded. “Sure.”

Parker scooped up a huge bit of cake, sticking his tongue out while concentrating on manoeuvring the fork with its heavy burden towards Brennan’s mouth. Her eyes widened in surprise, but what else was there to do, but open up quickly, to make sure she did not end up covered in cake? Exactly: nothing.

So she opened her mouth as wide as possible and hoped Parker was not going to mistake her eye for her mouth. An instant later she tried to chew with as much dignity as possible.... but thanks to Parker’s interpretation of a bite, it was a challenge to even keep her mouth shut while chewing.
Booth’s hysterical laughing fit was not helpful either. She quickly averted her gaze, fearing that she would feel forced to join him in his laughing; and frankly, that would surely make for a disgusting event.

“Not good?” Parker asked concerned and Brennan snorted when Booth’s laughing reached a new peak.

“I think you gave her quite a bit to chew on, Parks. Give her time.” Jared observed and grinned, while his brother still was not capable of speaking.

Brennan reached for her glass of apple juice and greedily swallowed down it’s content, then she drew in a deep breath. “Next time, Parker, maybe you shouldn’t take THAT much cake. But it is delicious.” Then she turned her attention towards his father. “And you can stop now!”

Booth held his aching belly and resumed laughing, the fire that was burning in her eyes worked like pouring alcohol in a fire instead of distinguishing his urge to laugh. “Sorry” he choked out between gasps.

“Hmpf.” She made, clearly not convinced, her eyes shooting daggers at him.

“Really.” He wheezed and managed to contain the laughter that still tried to bubble up. “But you looked so funny.....” He laughed again. “Huge eyes and huge mouth...” Another laughing fit shook him. “...like a fish....” Booth mimicked her earlier expression, mouth agape and eyes bulging.

She raised an eyebrow at him and stated. “I don’t think I could ever look as ridiculous as you just did.”

“Ah, wait.... you just have to do it once again and I’ll get you a mirror.” Booth grinned.

“You’re so immature. Not even your son is laughing.” She observed.

Booth glanced at his son and found her words true.... but he suspected that the fact that Parker was far too busy scratching Manny’s ears with the utmost concentration was the reason for his lack of laughing.

Booth glanced at his brother, but Jared raised his hands in surrender. “Don’t look at me. I’m a married man, I know better than to take sides.” He winked at them and rose. “I guess I’ll have a look where Michelle is hiding.” He walked towards the house, where his wife and his parents had gone to earlier.

“You’re not really mad, are you?” Booth asked, somewhat sobered by the serious expression on his partner’s face.

She just sighed and averted her gaze again, watching Parker who was no trying to coerce Manny into fetching the balls he was throwing him. “He knows that cats usually are not likely to retrieve a toy? That’s more something canines do.”

“Don’t change the subject.” Booth softly said. “What’s wrong, Bones? You’re not that angry just because I laughed, right?”

“Nothing’s wrong, Booth.” Temperance Brennan said evasively.

“Not convinced.” Booth sighed. “Tell me.”

She remained silent, but by the way she was biting her bottom lip, it did not take a genius to deduct something was bothering her. Brennan watched Booth’s son play with the cat – or at least trying to do so – and sighed.

“Bones?” Booth gently asked.

“I don’t belong here!” She blurted out, still keeping her gaze on his son. “Did you bring me here to show me how miserable my life is? To show me how it could be like? I’ll never have a family party like that. I may be in contact with my brother and his family and with my father too.... but it’s not the same. We’re still somehow estranged and it will never be like it was before. Never. No matter how much I wish it would be otherwise, no matter how much we try, you can’t change what happened.”

Booth’s chest tightened when he heard the pain in her voice. He rose and settled himself in Parker’s now vacant seat beside her, then pried her hand free of the armrest she had been grabbing tightly.

“I would never bring you here to hurt you, you know that. I just .... wanted you to get to know my parents, my brother. Is that so wrong?” His voice was gentle and his hand on hers warm and reassuring, but still..... “But why?” She asked. “I’m your partner, your friend.... part of your family, as you said yourself, and I’m grateful for that... but why bring me here and show me what I’ll never have?”

“Temperance, who said you’ll never have that? You’re already part of it.... you and your family will overcome the time you spent apart. You’ll become closer. Look at how much already changed. Two years ago you were not even talking to your brother, half a year ago you spent Christmas with him and his kids, your father. That’s a huge step for you. And only six weeks ago you made yourself a suspect in a murder case for your father. I say that’s already much closer than many families will ever get.” His voice was low, even solemn.

His words caused her eyes to sting, tears threatening to well up. “You had to tell me to use my heart. Normal families do that without being told.”

“Normality is overrated. And it can be quite boring. Life with you sure as hell ain’t boring.” Booth smiled at her and she finally dared to look at him.

“Maybe I want boring.” She said quietly.

“No way. Wouldn’t be you.” He shook his head. “You have an unusual job, an unusual family and you sure as hell like to spend your holidays in an unusual way. I mean, vacation is supposed to be leisure time, you know?”

A small smile appeared on her lips. “Okay. Not boring then. Maybe just a little less unusual.”

“That’s something we can work on.” He grinned and winked at her.

“We?” She asked quietly, meeting his gaze cautiously.

“Sure.” He said, squeezing her hand gently. “That’s what family is for. To be there for each other.”

Brennan gave him a thoughtful look, then – after some time – she nodded slowly and said. “Thank you, Booth.”

He said nothing, just winked at her once more before averting his gaze to keep an eye on his son, who was now trying to coax Manny into coming out of the bushes he was hiding under. Brennan watched his son and had to smile. Manny clearly was not interested in abandoning his safe harbor, but the boy was persistent.

Neither one of the partners seemed to notice they were still holding hands.

“God, Andrew, look at them.” Anne whispered to her husband. She was watching her son and his work partner through the kitchen window.

“Huh?” Her husband made, clearly not understanding what she was talking about. She gestured towards the two people outside, who were holding hands and watching Parker talking to Manny. “Those two are not only partners.” She clarified.

“And you’re not preparing lemonade, as you said you would. Leave them alone, Anne.” Andrew chided softly. “We both know Seeley would have never brought her here if she didn’t mean a lot to him. But that doesn’t mean your supposed to spy on them, darling.”

“But...” She started, but her husband interrupted her. “No buts. Be a good girl.”

“Girl?” She asked and smiled. “It’s been some time since you called me that.”

“Well, since your behaving like a nosy teenager.....” Andrew teased her and placed his hands on her waist to turn her around to face him. “You’re still my girl.” He winked at her and kissed her softly.

Like it or not? :?:
Reviews make me happy! bounce
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3762
Say What You Want : don't provoke the lunatic!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:58 pm

They are so cute together...holding hands and everything....
And Parker....adorable as always....sharing cake with her

Maybe Booth's mom and Angela together would make them realize that there is more between them.

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 37397
Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:31 pm

thank you for your review tozika... as already mentioned, I am working on the next chapter! schwöre!
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:33 pm

I hope so, cheese.
Otherwise I might start some serious action with turi....

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 37397
Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!

Back to top Go down

Post by Karlia-Wicked-Witch Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:10 am

man this fic is ADORABLE!
LOVELOVELOVELOVE it!!!!!!!!!!
More?
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 16090
Say What You Want : Buena Suerte Y Adios Mis Amigos <3

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:13 pm

Thank you for your comments!!!

Next chapter is ready Wink

Chapter 7

Good night

Parker produced a big yawn that had all adults smile knowingly. “You tired, buddy?” Seeley Booth asked. The blond boy stubbornly shook his head and yawned again.

“Ah, come on, Parks.... you’re tired. Come on, let’s get you ready for bed, hm?” His father smiled at him and ruffled his blond hair. The boy sighed.

“Can Bones tell me a story?” Parker asked hopefully. Brennan’s eyes widened in surprise, but she nodded. “I can try.”
“Okay, Parker, tell you what. You put on your PJs and brush your teeth and we’ll be there when you’re ready, okay?” His father said and the boy dashed off into the house.

Brennan turned towards her partner. “Please tell me you have children’s books. Reading I can do, but I don’t know any stories that are suitable for children.”

“Gee, are you nervous?” Booth grinned at her. “Don’t worry, I know for a fact that he brought at least three different books. And after all the fun he had today he’ll be asleep in a heartbeat.”

Brennan relaxed visibly. “Good."

Her partner grinned at her again. “Don’t worry, Bones. He’s just a six year old boy, and you really did well with him so far.”

“That’s true.” Anne Booth agreed. “He adores you. When he came to get the salve for the bee sting he constantly talked about you.”

Brennan’s eyes widened again. “Really? He likes me? You sure?”

“Bones, he wants you to read him his goodnight story. That’s kind of the highlight of a kid’s day. Now come on, we can’t leave him waiting, can we?” He motioned for her to follow him inside the house. Obediently, Temperance Brennan trailed behind him.

The four people at the table gazed after them until the door closed behind them. Finally Jared said: “He’s got it bad.” And they all had to smile. “So, you see it too?” Anne Booth asked, grinning broadly.

“Mom, I would have to be blind and dumb to not see that my bro is just as lost as I am.” Jared winked at his wife.

“Lost?” She asked. “What exactly is that supposed to mean?”

Jared winked at her and covered her hand with his. “You know what I mean.”

She shook her head in mock confusion. “Nuh-uh. Enlighten me.”

“Oh, dear. Saying ‘I do’ in front of countless people was not enough?” Jared asked. “Fine, here it goes then: You, my darling, are the light of my life. Without you I would be nothing.... The sun shines every time you smile.... You” His voice had reached a theatrical tone and his wife punched him playfully. “Oh, shut up, you jerk!”

He winked at her and drew her near to place a soft kiss on her lips. “That’s better.” She mumbled and he smiled.

“You think they know?” Anne Booth asked curiously. “Darling, leave them be!” Andrew chided.

Michelle grinned. “They are still in phase D, meaning Denial. It will pass. It always does, right, Jared?”

Her husband’s eyebrows rose in disbelief. “There are more phases than that one?”

“Now Jared, can’t you be serious for one moment?” His mother asked and he shook his head violently. They all laughed and started to discuss other things than the two people who were so obviously head over heels for each other without knowing it.

“Daddy, I’m ready!” Parker announced and Seeley Booth bent down to press a kiss to his forehead. “What story would you like, Parks?”

Parker frowned for a moment, then he smiled slyly. “The Lion King.” He pointed to one of the books at the nightstand. “That’s a long one, buddy...” His father said, a hint of doubt in his voice.

“Please, Daddy. Please, Bones?” Parker asked the woman who was standing beside his father. She simply nodded. Who could resist that smile, those pleading eyes?

“You’re lucky, buddy.” Seeley Booth smiled at his son and stepped back to make room for his partner. She sat down on the side of the bed and opened the book to read out the story about the lion “Simba”.

After she had read out page number 4 the boy was already fast asleep. Booth winked at her as she lowered the book. “Told ya.” He mouthed and gestured for her to leave the room.

When they were outside and the door was closed he said. “You did great!”

She shrugged. “He was already pretty tired, I guess.”

“Bones, children are very honest. He really, really likes you. And that’s not as easy as it seems, Rebecca’s boyfriend still is not allowed to touch his toys! Think about it.” Booth said seriously.

“The one you keep calling Captain Fantastic? Maybe it’s the fact that you mock him that prevents your son from liking him.” Brennan analysed.

“Hush.... we officially buried the name Captain Fantastic two months ago. Don’t remind him of it.” Booth said to her in low and confidential tone and caused her to smile softly.

Suddenly she realised how close they were standing and she cleared her throat. “Where am I going to sleep?” She quickly asked.

Booth drew in a deep breath and answered. “The guest room. I’m going to stay with Parker in my old room and J and Michelle have his old room. Plenty of space.” He explained. “Come, I’ll show you.”

He opened another door and showed her a small guest room in friendly, light colors. “It’s nice.” She said and saw that he had already placed her bag on the bed. “Thank you for bringing my bag up here.” She added and he nodded. “No problem. You want to come down again or are you tired too?”

“I’ll come in a minute. I just need to go to the restroom.” She answered and he nodded. “You know where it is.” He stated and she nodded again. He hesitated for a moment, lingering in the doorway, his gaze on her. Booth knew that something was wrong with her, but he could not quite lay his finger on it, so he decided to wait for her to approach him when she was ready. “I’ll be in the garden, then.... See you later.” He said and left the room.

As soon as the door clicked shut behind him, Brennan closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Something was changing. Rapidly. And she had no idea how to deal with it.

like it? hate it?
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by katarina Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:20 pm

love it, cheese Smile more please!
katarina
katarina
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 5354
Registration date : 2008-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next