Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vegans who advocate for change!

+3
CanadianBones
Fi1975
bugaboo628
7 posters

Go down

Vegans who advocate for change! Empty Vegans who advocate for change!

Post by bugaboo628 Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:39 am

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

9. Emily Deschanel — This star of the TV drama “Bones” publicly advocates New York’s Farm Sanctuary shelter and the vegan movement. She has a spread of her favorite eco products in the mainstream fashion mag Marie Claire and is quickly becoming the hot new role model for vegan and sustainability in the celeb-world. She’s run the gamut with PETA PSAs, magazine interviews and sporting vegan fashion and now is spreading the news like Huey Lewis about humane treatment of farm animals.
bugaboo628
bugaboo628
Administrator/Head Moderator

Number of posts : 1586
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Vegans who advocate for change! Empty Re: Vegans who advocate for change!

Post by Fi1975 Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:27 am

Good forEmily. I have to admit that I don't think I could ever become vegan or vegetarian,yet I rarely eat meat or fish, and the thought of eating either is more and more repulsive. I probably could go without meat (and I don't like fish), but I do love 'proper' cheese so veganism is a no go with me.

In the UK, probably the most well known vegan is Heather Mills McCartney, and, to be honest, most people think of her as an absolute nutter and/or fantasist, so she doesn't do much for the vegan image .

I do think that we need famous people to be much more vocal, but again there aren't enough brits to do that.

In terms of beauty products, I do aim for the more natural, eco friendly products, such as Jurlique, Dr Hauschka, Neal's Yard. I do think there are more and more products targeting the natural, organic market, but more needs to be done.

Bug, thanks for the link!

Fi1975
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 51
Say What You Want : Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!
Registration date : 2009-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianBones Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:19 am

Don't forget LUSH!!! I thought Paul McCartney is a vegan, or is he just a vegetarian? I just like that Emily just generally encourages people to be for green/eco friendly in any way they can and not necessarily just in the form of vegetarian/vegan.
CanadianBones
CanadianBones
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1266
Say What You Want : they shouldn't be doing that on the forensic platform. - brennan
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by i_heart_bones Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:30 am

Yep she is inspiring.
After being vegetarian for years, she definitely inspired me to go vegan!
i_heart_bones
i_heart_bones
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 6090
Say What You Want : WWDBD?
Twitter.com/IndiaGreen
Registration date : 2008-11-29

http://shortlybeforemidnight.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bailey Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:42 am

Thanks for sharing this link. Smile

Since becoming a fan of the show, I've really come to respect Emily for her veganism and the various causes she supports. I know there are lots of celebrities who spout off about animal rights and vegetarianism, etc. (whatever the "cool" cause of the moment seems to be) but Emily really lives it. I think she's the first celebrity I've seen interviewed that can say she's been a vegan for 17+ years. It's usually like, "well since last year" "or I started a few months ago." And she has concrete reasons for her decisions as well. Before, whenever I'd hear a celebrity talk about these issues it never sounded sincere just "Hollywood." If that makes any sense.

I'm not a vegetarian by any means but I have to say that reading articles about/with Emily have really made me start thinking about the way I eat. Every time I sit down to a meal now I think, "Wow, a vegan could not eat any of this." I really admire Emily for her strength and will power to take a stand for what she knows is right and really do something about it. Especially since she doesn't get much praise, but rather it seems she takes a lot of ribbing/joking from her co-workers, and all those meat eaters out there. Interviews with Emily have really opened my eyes to the health and safety concerns, as well as to how the animals are treated. But I don't think I'd ever have the will power to make the conversion. (I mean, think about any diet you've ever tried, it's hard to cut foods out of your diet, let alone soooo many foods.)

Anyway, kudos to Emily for being so devoted to her cause! Regardless of how you feel about veganism/animal rights issues, I think we can all say Emily leads by example as to how to take a stand for whatever it is that you believe in.
bailey
bailey
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 811
Say What You Want : "You just had a rebound. Yeah, which don't get me wrong can be a really fun distraction. But, when it's over, you're left thinking about the girl you really like, the one that broke your heart."

~ Jim Halpert
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by bones_fanatic19 Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:19 pm

I don't think I could ever become a vegan or a vegetarian but through I have definately become more aware about everything and it makes me admire those like Emily who really go in for the long haul for these issues.
bones_fanatic19
bones_fanatic19
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1112
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamerktm411 Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:27 am

it's so cool that she has something she fights for. good for her. Smile
dreamerktm411
dreamerktm411
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1255
Say What You Want : "I hope you find something that just changes the entire notion of what it means to be human."
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down