Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Bones' author gears up for health drive

3 posters

Go down

'Bones' author gears up for health drive Empty ''Bones'' author gears up for health drive

Post by Lo Tue May 19, 2009 7:20 am

'Bones' author gears up for health drive
Posted: Monday, May. 18, 2009
GIAGC4PH.2

Kathy Reichs

Charlotte author and UNC Charlotte professor Kathy Reichs seems tireless. She's written a dozen best-selling whodunits since 1997, which spawned the Fox crime series “Bones.” She is a consultant and producer for that show, and on rare occasions, acts in it. She also works with the medical examiner in Montreal on real-life crimes. And, as if that weren't enough, Reichs has just assumed the role of spokesperson for the women's health campaign Know My Bones ([Only admins are allowed to see this link] bones.com), supported in part by the National Osteoporosis Foundation.

Following are excerpts of an interview with reporter Mark Price.

Q. You live part-time in Montreal, of all places. Why?

I started working there in 1989, as part of a one-year national faculty exchange program, where professors at one institution would exchange places with one at another institution. I had taken French 101, so I thought: ‘I speak French, I'll do it.' That didn't go so well. I started doing some forensic work for the medical and legal crime lab there. At the end of that year, I came back to Charlotte, but I go back (to Montreal) every six weeks and continue to do forensic work for the province of Quebec. Spring is a big time there, when rivers thaw and bodies start floating up.

Q. Ratings for “Bones” are consistently up. Do you keep track?

Yes, I do and you're right, the ratings are increasing steadily. We're now the second highest scripted drama on Fox, behind “House.” We are absolutely getting better, and I think Emily (Deschanel) and David (Boreanaz) are a wonderful pair.… We've blended a number of things that make the show unique. We have a dark subject matter, but we have humor, and the chemistry of the ensemble works beautifully.

Q. How did you become involved with Know My Bones?

I think it's a natural link for me. I've worked with bones all my life. I've studied them and come to appreciate them. You can tell a lot about a person by their bones, the story of their life.… In today's economy, where it's important for women to work longer than they might have hoped, it's important for them to stay healthy.

Q. What stories could we tell from your bones?

Surprisingly, I've never broken a bone and I'd like to keep it that way, which is why I get regular bone scans. I have three children and that can leave a mark on the pelvis.… I play tennis and have some arthritic changes in the shoulder. I was kicked by an ice skate once in the shins, and I'm sure my tibia has a knick in it.

Q. Given the success of your books, has the publisher asked for more than the original dozen in your contract?

I'm now up to 16. I'm working on book 13, “206 Bones,” which is the number of bones in the human body.… I'm about to launch a young adults series of crime books. Forensic science at a younger level. Maybe I'll throw in something about osteoporosis.

Q. Planning to do any acting in season five of “Bones”?

I'll probably do one next year. I'll write a script myself and the executive producers have suggested I write a little part for myself. I was reluctant to do it, but I really had a good time when I was on the show before. They may have created a monster.

Mark Price: 704-358-5245;

[Only admins are allowed to see this link].

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Lo
Lo
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 683
Say What You Want : Icon: tempertemper77 @ lj
Registration date : 2008-06-15

http://twitter.com/clairedietz

Back to top Go down

'Bones' author gears up for health drive Empty Re: 'Bones' author gears up for health drive

Post by willgirl Tue May 19, 2009 10:18 am

Thanks for the post!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9099
Say What You Want : Go Synthesis!
Registration date : 2008-05-30

http://www.synthesiscommunications.net

Back to top Go down

'Bones' author gears up for health drive Empty Re: 'Bones' author gears up for health drive

Post by i_heart_bones Tue May 19, 2009 9:54 pm

Thanks lo! shes a busy woman!
i_heart_bones
i_heart_bones
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 6090
Say What You Want : WWDBD?
Twitter.com/IndiaGreen
Registration date : 2008-11-29

http://shortlybeforemidnight.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down