Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most Hated Bones Episode Game

+16
Pat
RubyRuby
bones206
jsgemini
*kiki*
bonesfan158
SnoopGirl
i_heart_bones
kokonut_soda
joybrennan
THX1138
dawnsfire
HermioneGirl101
AmandaMarshall
treble21
bailey
20 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Most Hated Bones Episode Game - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Hated Bones Episode Game

Post by THX1138 Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:50 pm

dawnsfire wrote:This pretty much summed a lot of it up for me (combined with general disaffection with the continuity issues): [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
And that kind of intensity doesn't fade fast or easily.

queen

and yes, he really can be that arrogant...in case you were wondering. It's part of his charm.
Thanks for posting that link, I love Erika's work and I'd totally forgotten about this one - her write up here is just so damned funny, thanks my Queen!

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Actually, I thought it was the most hated eps we were going to do by points next...
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1532
Say What You Want : I like to see the roller-coaster before I get on it. I mean, how many loops are we talking here?
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:39 pm

Weighing in on the 4D episode, It is not my favorite episode of Bones, in fact it's probably one of my least favorites, but I don't dislike it so much I won't watch it. I don't dislike any Bones episode that much. It has one really cute line I love which is Booth: " I can be devastatingly charming when you're not around"
All that said, the king has a point, that type of episode doesn't really fit with the way the rest of the episodes have been written, It's a one off, and honestly it's a little jarring, So I can understand why others may feel so strongly about it.
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by i_heart_bones Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:55 pm

Even though Double Death was totally out of place, and a useless episode I've never been shy about saying I enjoyed it. A little comedic relief in the middle of the season...
i_heart_bones
i_heart_bones
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 6090
Say What You Want : WWDBD?
Twitter.com/IndiaGreen
Registration date : 2008-11-29

http://shortlybeforemidnight.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bailey Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:38 pm

THX1138 wrote:

Yeah, I don't think I've ever claimed to speak for everyone, though I might have said something like "well then you're the only one" but that's obvious sarcasm - or I should say to me that's obvious sarcasm. I have noticed that sarcasm doesn't always translate well in electronic media. In any case, I don't speak for everyone even though I probably should because of my incredibly sound judgment and impeccable taste. How's that? Twisted Evil

I'm quite a fan of sarcasm actually.

As I said, I don't even actually remember the exact point you made that led me to say that you were speaking for everyone. Even if it was a sarcastic point (as it probably was) it didn't stop me from using it against you to further my case. Wink

Hmm, well that's rather begging the question isn't it? But to respond directly, no, it's not just what I believe the show to be, it's what most everyone believes the show to be and how it's been presented in the trades. Going back to 2005 there are articles at TV Guide that refer to the show as a crime procedural and IMDB lists it's genres as Mystery, Romance, Drama, and Procedural, more recently I've seen Matt Roush, among others, refer to it as a dramedy - in fact the one thing I've never seen it described as is a comedy.

Feel free to run your own searches but nothing I've seen or read lends me to believe that the show was ever intended to be a crimedy, and honestly if you could point to even one crimedy type episode in the first three seasons I'd concede the point and be done with it. As it is DDotDD, Double Trouble, and a few others in notables in S4 stand out from the rest of the series for their notably irreverent tone. Again, fine and dandy in small doses and great if you want a forensics version of Scrubs, but it can hardly be said that those episodes enhance the series overall. In fact their incongruous nature rankles in light of the overall tone the series sets when you contrast the farce of DDotDD with Mayhem, Conman, or Mask.

The only time I've heard the show referred to as a crimedy was actually in the link someone posted in the spoilers section of Hart giving a speech in Canada earlier this year. I believe what he said was "my show is often called a crimedy." But to be honest, I'd have to re-read to get the true context and if he was being sarcastic or disagreeing with those people.

But honestly, it doesn't matter because I do get your point. I wonder if the reason I'm not as fiercely loyal (which by the way I do respect on your part) to what I feel the show "should be" is because I have not watched from the beginning but rather watched the entire series in a matter of about two weeks?

DDotDD was funny, it had sweet BB moments and so I liked it. Perhaps had I been watching the show from day one I would've been like some of you and found the style of the episode jarring and disliked it for that reason. I suppose I just think it's okay for a television series to occasionally stray from their formula and try something different.

passionate about the things I like, in fact the best measure of how much I truly love the show, and how devoted I am to it, is the strength of my reaction to things like this. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. (Sounds circular, I know, but it's really not). At least you don't have to deal with me when it comes to football - pity my girlfriend, when I watch a game I lost all perspective, as well as volume control and my verbal filter. And if the Packers lose? Oh yes, there will be cussing...

king RM

Lol. I'm glad I no longer have to deal with football in any form quite frankly. I hate football, and even though I'm usually quite intelligent I could never understand it. Smile Probably just because I disslike it so much. There was an ex who tried earnestly to teach me. There were seminars, diagrams, field trips ... perhaps that's why he's an ex.

Another point, whereas you say you're passionate about this show and this causes you to be passionate with your dislike for aspects of the show that don't live up to it's usual standards perhaps I'm just as passionate but unlike you that passion causes me to defend the show on all counts when I feel it is being attacked. I am a caregiver by nature, and I think I rush to do that when I feel something or someone I loved is being unfairly treated.

I must say I've enjoyed our discussion, and I look forward to many more in the following season. Smile
bailey
bailey
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 811
Say What You Want : "You just had a rebound. Yeah, which don't get me wrong can be a really fun distraction. But, when it's over, you're left thinking about the girl you really like, the one that broke your heart."

~ Jim Halpert
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by bailey Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:43 pm

joybrennan wrote:Actually, I thought it was the most hated eps we were going to do by points next...

Yes, I was going to start that as soon as this game ended but I got a bit side tracked. I'll get it started this morning. Smile

I wonder if it'd be quicker to go ahead and list all the episodes (all 100 some of them) in one game and start with a very small number of points, like say 5? Or would that just be too long of a list? It just seems the favorite episode game is taking way too long. Maybe interest is just wanning?
bailey
bailey
Doctor
Doctor

Say What You Want : "You just had a rebound. Yeah, which don't get me wrong can be a really fun distraction. But, when it's over, you're left thinking about the girl you really like, the one that broke your heart."

~ Jim Halpert

Back to top Go down

Post by bailey Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:56 pm

dawnsfire wrote:Interesting discussion.
I have to admit I dislike farce intensely, and my taste in slapstick is pretty mild (I don't watch the Stooges, hated the concept behind Weekend at Bernie's, and this was barely a step above), so you can see where I come from there. Bones, however, was not meant to be a comedy, esp such a broad one--I believe in one of the companion books it was described as a drama with touches of dark humor (meaning not farce) and later was described as a dramedy by HH. So I feel justified in agreeing with Rob that this was not the way to go. The writing in S4 was all over the map, though, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised they dipped into this.

Interestingly enough I also hate the Stooges and Weekend at Bernie's. Smile But I do not dismiss all farce out of hand, I think it can be done very well. There were several episodes of Frasier that were farcial and yet very intelligently done.

You may have a point in saying the writing was all over the map ... maybe they were just attempting to try new things at that point in the series. Four years is a long time to rigidly follow a forumla ... and sometimes new things fail. I can admire them for taking a risk as much as I can see the point you and others are making.

and yes, he really can be that arrogant...in case you were wondering. It's part of his charm.[/color]

Yes, it's not easy to miss his arrogance. Wink But it's also quite charming.

I'm beginning to think that I'm just still in the honeymoon phase of my relationship with this show and am unwilling to see it's faults at this point. I'm sure I'll get over that fairly quickly. Very Happy
bailey
bailey
Doctor
Doctor

~ Jim Halpert

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaMarshall Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:39 pm

As dawnsfire said, "interesting discussion". Wish I had time to join in but I only have time to provide an interesting factoid about the writing.

Noah Hawley was story editor plus for 57 of the 58 episodes in Seasons 1-3. He then left to run his own show, The Unusuals. That is why the writing changed.

The Unusuals was a good show but was canceled after 13 episodes (I blame main character casting). He has another show this fall called My Generation I will check out solely because I started following Bones' forums.

Noah Hawley's Bones' writing creds: [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

AmandaMarshall
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:36 am

AmandaMarshall wrote:As dawnsfire said, "interesting discussion". Wish I had time to join in but I only have time to provide an interesting factoid about the writing.

Noah Hawley was story editor plus for 57 of the 58 episodes in Seasons 1-3. He then left to run his own show, The Unusuals. That is why the writing changed.
Ah, thank you for this tidbit! I actually was one of those few die hard fans of The Unusuals and oddly enough I started watching it for the exact same reason I started watching Bones - casting! When I heard that Amber Tamblyn would be one of the co-stars I had to tune in, and I fell in love with the quirky cop drama and it's dark humor. Heh, that actually sounds a lot like the first season of Bones, doesn't it?

The Unusuals was a good show but was canceled after 13 episodes (I blame main character casting). He has another show this fall called My Generation I will check out solely because I started following Bones' forums.

Noah Hawley's Bones' writing creds: [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Well now you've got me convinced, I'll be watching My Generation too. Strange how the loss of one individual, largely unsung and unknown to the general public, can so alter a show's character. I'll definitely be adding Noah Hawley to my watchlist from this point forward. Thanks for the info there Amanda!

king RM

THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:19 am

bailey wrote:But honestly, it doesn't matter because I do get your point. I wonder if the reason I'm not as fiercely loyal (which by the way I do respect on your part) to what I feel the show "should be" is because I have not watched from the beginning but rather watched the entire series in a matter of about two weeks?
You know that makes perfect sense to me. If you see an entire series in a compressed time frame you can, of course, become a fan - even a rabid one I'd say - but you won't have the same 'feel' for the show as someone who endured the week to week hell of waiting impatiently for the next episode to air. Part of me wants to call it context, but that's not exactly right, it's more of an experiential gap that alters our perspectives. Neither is more right than the other, since each person's perspective is their own, but folks who've seen it the "long" way will likely always have a different take than folks who've seen it the "short" way. Something for me to cogitate on.

DDotDD was funny, it had sweet BB moments and so I liked it. Perhaps had I been watching the show from day one I would've been like some of you and found the style of the episode jarring and disliked it for that reason. I suppose I just think it's okay for a television series to occasionally stray from their formula and try something different.
Oh I do too, when I think it's well done and not completely divorced from the roots of the show. When Joss Whedon did Hush for BtVS, I thought it was one of the best episodes of TV I'd ever seen, and totally daring - an episode where there was no dialogue for 27 minutes! Hell, I even loved the musical number but it was couched within the context of the show overall. As funny as DDotDD could have been if it was, say, an episode of Barney Miller, as an episode of Bones it was (IMO) sadly lacking. Now, I think with the right tweaking and editing, some slightly better directing and a whole lot less DB singing, as in none at all, it would actually be quite an entertaining and worthy member of the Bones family, but the slapstick comedy bits would have to go, as would the horrendous lack of respect shown both the remains of the decedent and the seriousness of the murder itself. I guess I was looking for something more intelligent from Hart, say something more akin to Agatha Christie's Appointment with Death and less reminiscent of The Bowery Boys doing Death takes a Holiday.

passionate about the things I like, in fact the best measure of how much I truly love the show, and how devoted I am to it, is the strength of my reaction to things like this. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. (Sounds circular, I know, but it's really not). At least you don't have to deal with me when it comes to football - pity my girlfriend, when I watch a game I lost all perspective, as well as volume control and my verbal filter. And if the Packers lose? Oh yes, there will be cussing...

king RM

Lol. I'm glad I no longer have to deal with football in any form quite frankly. I hate football, and even though I'm usually quite intelligent I could never understand it. Smile Probably just because I disslike it so much. There was an ex who tried earnestly to teach me. There were seminars, diagrams, field trips ... perhaps that's why he's an ex.
Ah, see I never try and involve anyone in my football madness, I simply ask that I be left to it - that and someone get me a sammich dammit! And while you're up, another beer? Ya'thanksokayfineluvyababy OHMYGOD! How in the hell could they make that call?! Oops, sorry, just sorta slipped out.

Another point, whereas you say you're passionate about this show and this causes you to be passionate with your dislike for aspects of the show that don't live up to it's usual standards perhaps I'm just as passionate but unlike you that passion causes me to defend the show on all counts when I feel it is being attacked. I am a caregiver by nature, and I think I rush to do that when I feel something or someone I loved is being unfairly treated.
Ah, well I'm a cynical bastard by nature so that would explain a bit indeed.

I must say I've enjoyed our discussion, and I look forward to many more in the following season. Smile
Same here, love a spirited give and take with someone who's not afraid to mix it up. Ta ra!

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by MI_Bonesgirl Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:27 am

Hey-you're a Packers fan too?? toast
MI_Bonesgirl
MI_Bonesgirl
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1147
Say What You Want : Onward and Upward, Season 6!!!
Registration date : 2010-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:42 am

MI_Bonesgirl wrote:Hey-you're a Packers fan too?? toast
AB-SO-LUTELY! Been a fan of the Pack since my Gramps took me to a game when they were still splitting time between Lambeau and Milwaukee.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by MI_Bonesgirl Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:49 am

THX1138 wrote:
AB-SO-LUTELY! Been a fan of the Pack since my Gramps took me to a game when they were still splitting time between Lambeau and Milwaukee.

king RM

Awesomeness!! I jumped on the Favre train in the 90's. Everyone in my family are either Bears or Colts fans puke I tend to go against the grain.
MI_Bonesgirl
MI_Bonesgirl
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1147
Say What You Want : Onward and Upward, Season 6!!!
Registration date : 2010-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:51 am

MI_Bonesgirl wrote:
THX1138 wrote:

king RM

Awesomeness!! I jumped on the Favre train in the 90's. Everyone in my family are either Bears or Colts fans puke I tend to go against the grain.
Heh, well good on ya! Always good to meet another Packers fan, especially since it means one less Bears or Vikes fan to deal with!

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaMarshall Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:55 am

THX1138 wrote:

Thanks for the info there Amanda!

king RM

You're welcome! and to clarify re casting. I think The Unusuals' leads are excellent actors but did not have enough... um, let's call it star quality at that point in their careers to draw in enough audience to get the show renewed.

BTW why THX1138 and not Gus McRae?

AmandaMarshall
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:45 am

AmandaMarshall wrote:
THX1138 wrote:

Thanks for the info there Amanda!

king RM

You're welcome! and to clarify re casting. I think The Unusuals' leads are excellent actors but did not have enough... um, let's call it star quality at that point in their careers to draw in enough audience to get the show renewed.

BTW why THX1138 and not Gus McRae?
Ah, because at the time I was more about dystopian futures than the old west. Funny thing, Duvall was amazing in both, but his portrayal of THX was really inspired. Now the real question should have been, why THX1138 and not OMM 0910?

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaMarshall Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:42 am

THX1138 wrote:Now the real question should have been, why THX1138 and not OMM 0910?
king RM

Smile

AmandaMarshall
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down