Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open Letter: Will they/Won't they

+7
SnoopGirl
jaela
dawnsfire
HeyHey
THX1138
the beaver1965
Thnx4theGum
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Open Letter: Will they/Won't they Empty Open Letter: Will they/Won't they

Post by Thnx4theGum Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:44 am

Open Letter, Huffington Post
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Bones is mentioned in this article very prominently and I was wondering what the feeling is around here on this topic?
Thnx4theGum
Thnx4theGum
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-09-24

Back to top Go down

Open Letter: Will they/Won't they Empty Re: Open Letter: Will they/Won't they

Post by the beaver1965 Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:40 am

Well Emily has said many times that there will be kissing this season. What she didn't say was if it was going to be between Booth and Brennan.

the beaver1965
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:58 am

the beaver1965 wrote:Well Emily has said many times that there will be kissing this season. What she didn't say was if it was going to be between Booth and Brennan.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from given the way HH and company have shaded the truth (LIED) to us in the past, but I thought she was referring specifically to B&B action in response to a reporter's question so I'd take her to mean Booth & Brennan kissing. Of course the real question is what KIND of B&B kissing. Booth counts the time she once accidentally touched her lips to the side of his hand as a kiss, so that's a pretty broad definition for "kissing" there.

Personally I won't be happy with anything less than a good 5 second tongue down the throat kiss.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by HeyHey Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:23 am

They're going to drag this one out for as long as they possibly can. I'm resigned to it. They're sooo scared of losing viewers. IMO anyway.

I would at least like a BB forehead or cheek kiss for Christmas though please. Something more than a near kiss is required!

If they do get together this season, I would think the writers will be aiming for the last third of the season, what do you think? Lots of kisses then?

HeyHey
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Thnx4theGum Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:13 pm

Actually, I'm so torn on this issue. A part of me is tired of the back and forth after so many years of being invested in the show, while another part of me knows that there is a beauty to the way this dance is playing out and to do it any other way besides Hart's would make it lose something of the magic. You fall in love with a person once, and I wouldn't want to see it rushed too much just for the sake of the almighty dollar or to go along with the mob.

That being said, another Mulder/Scully vagueness feint would kill me. I would love to enjoy a few seasons of "dating" but working things out:
What do they do/change from what they do already?
What do they call each other?
Does she sleep in while he goes to Mass?
Where do they sleep?
Will they spontaneously combust or start out with good old fashioned kissing and heavy petting?
How do they let the Squint Squad know? (after the "What's ours should just be between us" I could totally see a hidden-from-the-squints 'ship at first, plus Booth's pretty discreet about things to begin with)
Etc.....

If they wanted to throw in marriage and a baby at the end or the SERIES, I'm good with that too; though having a kiddo this year has convinced me that babies and TV wouldn't mix well for too long. Maybe have B&B fight for real custody rights of Parker?

Realistically speaking, it'd be nice to come full circle and get a real tongue-tying kiss at Christmas this year and have them flirt, experiment, court, whatever throughout the rest of the season(hmm, maybe he could convince her that good friends kiss like he did with the guy hugs), and at least get to the first date if not start dating by season's end.

[Side rant: the S5 finale should NOT leave Booth in mortal peril yet again, HONESTLY! That story-line should be officially retired. The only Booth-in-peril that I want to see this year is for the TWO of them to be captured by the Grave Digger. End of side rant.]

Really now, is that so much to ask? Smile
Thnx4theGum
Thnx4theGum
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:29 pm

I'm with you, Gum, esp your comments on kissing & Christmas and Booth's mortal peril.
I want to see some romantic action here--and call me crazy, but it feels as though they might just give us some by the end of the season! If it's another %$&%$#%& fake-out, I think I really may run off to CA and have words with HH. I'm sure I'll have company.

*but I'm such a sucker I'll watch anyway. You've totally got me. Dammit.
Truer words...

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by Thnx4theGum Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:42 pm

dawnsfire wrote: If it's another %$&%$#%& fake-out, I think I really may run off to CA and have words with HH. I'm sure I'll have company.

*but I'm such a sucker I'll watch anyway. You've totally got me. Dammit.
Truer words...

queen

I'm fairly certain that at this point I'd never stop watching....

I'll hop that plane with you. One finale like that is all he gets Suspect (think Cam's freebie) after that, I'm going to CA for a wedding anyway next year and am not above or below stopping by FOX for a chat(and thanks to Twitter, I know what his motorcycle looks like).

And yeah, they're giving out definite "couple" vibes- so much more so than in other seasons! I love you

Now, the Phills just need to sweep the Yanks and give us our Bones on November 5 so we can get this show back on the road.
Thnx4theGum
Thnx4theGum
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:40 pm

HeyLJ wrote:They're going to drag this one out for as long as they possibly can. I'm resigned to it. They're sooo scared of losing viewers. IMO anyway.
The funny thing is they've already drug this out for so long that if they try and push it past S5 into S6 they'll start to hemorrhage viewers because people like me, folks who have watched since the very first episode, own all the episodes, watch them frequently, etc., will simply give up. I came close after TEitB because HH jerked us around on that one so severely it wasn't funny (I know, that's just my opinion and there are a lot of folks who think that episode was nothing but puppies, kittens, and rainbows and might even have stopped global warming if thick headed knuckle dragging Neanderthals like myself would just give in to the AU ficcy goodness of that warmed over hunk of shit that HH peddled as a season finale. Huh, that sentence took an unexpected turn. Anyway...) and I know I wasn't alone because HH issued an apology and then tried to explain the theory behind it. Always a sign of a popular and well loved episode.¹
I would at least like a BB forehead or cheek kiss for Christmas though please. Something more than a near kiss is required!
Amen to that one, hell, at this rate can we get a freakin' guy hug? When's the last one of those we've seen? Harbingers? Hell, eyesex is nice, I mean, it's filled with almost hotness and near passion and not quite real feelings, but the fact is eyesex might be incredible in the first season, even the second, but by the fifth season eyesex is something that should be a precursor to himsex and hersex in bedsex.
If they do get together this season, I would think the writers will be aiming for the last third of the season, what do you think? Lots of kisses then?
I'd agree, in fact I could see them say, stumbling (that is to say having an intimate moment) early in the last third of the season and then one, or both, freaking out and trying to hit the reset button and re-establish themselves as 'just partners' and 'just friends' only to stumble again and again until finally in the finale they come to terms with the fact that, yes Virginia, Booth and Brennan actually have a relationship.
Thnx4theGum wrote:Actually, I'm so torn on this issue. A part of me is tired of the back and forth after so many years of being invested in the show, while another part of me knows that there is a beauty to the way this dance is playing out and to do it any other way besides Hart's would make it lose something of the magic. You fall in love with a person once, and I wouldn't want to see it rushed too much just for the sake of the almighty dollar or to go along with the mob.
I agree 100%. In fact the thing that really, really pissed me off about S4 was the yo-yo approach to B&B. There'd be an episode or two of real growth followed by nothing and then an episode or three where Booth was an insensitive ass or Brennan acted like she'd had her emotions surgically removed and you're left thinking "WTF? Did the last three season not even happen?" In that respect I've positively loved S5 so far since the Booth reboot has given us an S1/S2 flavored Booth and Brennan seems to be more her S2/S3 self and less the schizophrenic mess of S4.
If they wanted to throw in marriage and a baby at the end or the SERIES, I'm good with that too; though having a kiddo this year has convinced me that babies and TV wouldn't mix well for too long. Maybe have B&B fight for real custody rights of Parker?
I could see this maybe, maybe in the final season if B&B have been a couple since the end of S5, in a stable and committed relationship for at least one full season, and you can give me a believable reason as to why they'd have to fight for custody of Parker (Rebecca seems like a good mother, even though she jerks Booth around on visitation).
[Side rant: the S5 finale should NOT leave Booth in mortal peril yet again, HONESTLY! That story-line should be officially retired. The only Booth-in-peril that I want to see this year is for the TWO of them to be captured by the Grave Digger. End of side rant.]

Really now, is that so much to ask? Smile
I am so with you on this it's unreal. Hey, I've got this crazy idea - how about NO ONE be in mortal peril at the end of this season, huh? Wow, wouldn't that be a shocker? How about some non-life threatening drama instead, like B&B's new relationship means they're partnership is under review and Booth could lose his job or get reassigned outside of DC? You know, something that takes more thought than a fanfic I could jot out on a bar napkin. Yeesh.
dawnsfire wrote:I'm with you, Gum, esp your comments on kissing & Christmas and Booth's mortal peril.
I want to see some romantic action here--and call me crazy, but it feels as though they might just give us some by the end of the season! If it's another %$&%$#%& fake-out, I think I really may run off to CA and have words with HH. I'm sure I'll have company

queen
You're in Chicago right my Queen? HH pulls that crap on us again and I make you this vow - say the word and I'll hop one of the Southwest hourly flights to Chi, cash in my frequent flyer miles and get us two first class seats to LA on American, straight through, no connections in Denver or any of that crap, and from there we take an airport taxi to FOX studios. You distract the guards and I'll go tune up Mister Hanson with the appropriate blunt instrument², whaddya say? I mean, he's big on the whole 'partners' motif, I say we make it work for us!

king RM

¹Spot the sarcasm in that paragraph, lol.
²Hasan! Fetch the royal ceremonial baseball bat, crowbar, and driver. I'd like a selection for my meeting with Mr Hanson.
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:51 pm

THX1138 wrote:You're in Chicago right my Queen? HH pulls that crap on us again and I make you this vow - say the word and I'll hop one of the Southwest hourly flights to Chi, cash in my frequent flyer miles and get us two first class seats to LA on American, straight through, no connections in Denver or any of that crap, and from there we take an airport taxi to FOX studios. You distract the guards and I'll go tune up Mister Hanson with the appropriate blunt instrument², whaddya say? I mean, he's big on the whole 'partners' motif, I say we make it work for us!

king RM
Consider yourself penciled in...mid to late May, wouldn't you say? Doughnuts work for the distraction, or should I brush up on my best I'm just an innocent, lost tourist impression?

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:01 pm

dawnsfire wrote:
THX1138 wrote:You're in Chicago right my Queen? HH pulls that crap on us again and I make you this vow - say the word and I'll hop one of the Southwest hourly flights to Chi, cash in my frequent flyer miles and get us two first class seats to LA on American, straight through, no connections in Denver or any of that crap, and from there we take an airport taxi to FOX studios. You distract the guards and I'll go tune up Mister Hanson with the appropriate blunt instrument², whaddya say? I mean, he's big on the whole 'partners' motif, I say we make it work for us!

king RM
Consider yourself penciled in...mid to late May, wouldn't you say? Doughnuts work for the distraction, or should I brush up on my best I'm just an innocent, lost tourist impression?

queen
Honestly? We need to cover all the bases. Jelly donuts and work on your best innocent/lost tourist impression or, failing that, wear something eye catching and practice 'come hither' looks.
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:24 pm

Good thing I've got 'til May... Rolling Eyes

queen

wonder if my Ren Faire costume still fits? haven't worn it in years...but definitely eye-catching!
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:41 pm

dawnsfire wrote:Good thing I've got 'til May... Rolling Eyes

queen
Pshaww, I'm sure you don't need until May my Queen even if you think you do. In any event a woman should have an actual figure, like my Emily. Size 0 stick figures may be fine for America's Next Top Model but no man wants a woman like that - personally I'd be afraid of getting banged up by those bony elbows and knees, and in a stiff breeze they might just float away.

wonder if my Ren Faire costume still fits? haven't worn it in years...but definitely eye-catching!
Hmm, Ren Faire you say? Definitely doable, not only would it be eye-catching but you could pass yourself off as an extra on some show! I like it!

king RM

Perhaps I should wear my vintage Armani with use a hands free cell phone? That way I can treat everyone like crap and act as if I'm priviledged so they'll assume I'm an agent!
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:53 pm

"I was told to come here to audition for the costume drama! You know, Barmaid #1? (tugs at bodice discreetly) What do you mean they aren't filming a costume drama here?"

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:06 pm

boobies Shocked Embarassed Wink Hey der. So how you doin'?

*shakes head*

um, remind me to stay focused on the mission when we get there 'cause that was a little too easy for you and I am a guy, that translates to attention span of a three year old with ADD when it comes to certain...things. Smile Maybe just say the word "Emily" every now and then?

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Nah, Emily won't work, 'cause you'll just think of those lovely pictures from the end of the last epi and lose all higher brain function again. How 'bout "David" instead? Very Happy

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by jaela Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Oh gawd, do people seriously dislike this sort of thing? I think it's one of the most classically appealing literary techniques of all time. Be it Jane Eyre or Mulder and Scully, wherever there be well-written "will they, won't they" tension, there too shall I be. I EAT IT UP WITH A SPOON. That sort of restless suspense is so delicious! It may be agonizing at times, but it's a good sort of pain.
That said, I think they could have at LEAST given us Ange & Hodgins. A little bit of relief to balance out the anxious thrill of Brennan & Booth.

Anyway, a cliché is a cliché because it works and people respond to it. No harm in reinventing a steadfast stratagem. =]

jaela

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:10 pm

dawnsfire wrote:Nah, Emily won't work, 'cause you'll just think of those lovely pictures from the end of the last epi and lose all higher brain function again. How 'bout "David" instead? Very Happy

queen
Hmmm. Let's see...

*looks at pics of Em* Shocked "David" Cool

You know? That actually worked! Cool, we're all set and now that we've got a plan we're good to go. I knew I could count on you my Queen. Very Happy

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thnx4theGum Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:15 pm

THX1138 wrote: (I know, that's just my opinion and there are a lot of folks who think that episode was nothing but puppies, kittens, and rainbows and might even have stopped global warming if thick headed knuckle dragging Neanderthals like myself would just give in to the AU ficcy goodness of that warmed over hunk of shit that HH peddled as a season finale. Huh, that sentence took an unexpected turn. Anyway...) and I know I wasn't alone because HH issued an apology and then tried to explain the theory behind it. Always a sign of a popular and well loved episode.¹
Hmm, well there is [Only admins are allowed to see this link] Wink but you're entitled to your POV all the same, so I shan't begrudge you that! IMHO, EitB would've been a great mid-season closer, sans the sex hype- that did them no favors whatsoever- and obfuscate is just a fancy word for LIE Mr. HH...redemption has come in S5 though, so we're good.

...but by the fifth season eyesex is something that should be a precursor to himsex and hersex in bedsex.
Yes! Nothing like ocular intercourse farao but let's have some payoff...BTW, my theory on the lack of guy hugs this year is that they're starting to view touching as more of a sexual than a casual act. Tingles and all that stuff- heck, Booth looked like his hand was going to catch fire in Boot! Every touch means something more, though notice please, that somewhere along the way she started touching him like a g/f would whenever he gets hurt and that HAS continued this season.

until finally in the finale they come to terms with the fact that, yes Virginia, Booth and Brennan actually have a relationship.
I just laughed so hard at that! Yup, a nice fluffy cliffhanger is what we need to wrap this whole season up!

In that respect I've positively loved S5 so far since the Booth reboot has given us an S1/S2 flavored Booth and Brennan seems to be more her S2/S3 self and less the schizophrenic mess of S4.

I love, love, LOVE the new Booth! Even more than I did back in S1 and 2!! He's a cop again! A man again! And removing that pesky little tumor uncorked some of those emotions he's been repressing the last few years.

Brennan, who's always been the richer of the two characters IMO, is also starting to blossom again- and stay blossomed. And Emily just plays her so well!!

I've come to terms with the fact that S4 was a crapshoot at best. There were certain eps that I really, really liked(Outhouse, ConMan, Bone that Blew, Cinderella) and those that I didn't so much(Yanks, Hero-as much as I wanted to, DDof theDD).

I will still forever wonder where the whole show would be had it not been for the S3 strike. Not that that excuses everything, but it def through them off their game and they're only now starting to recover.

(Rebecca seems like a good mother, even though she jerks Booth around on visitation)

She does, for the most part, though at certain times of the year she seems to get very "Grinchy" rendeer and even though it's really not a practical fit with his job, I still get a little heart tug every time Booth yearns to spend more time with his son. Sad

Hey, I've got this crazy idea - how about NO ONE be in mortal peril at the end of this season, huh?
Are they allowed to do that on TV? Wink

Well, since reBOOTh hearkens us back to S1/2, I could see them going back to the emo cliffie. "Limbo" and "Stargazer" still reduce me to puddles...

lol! The two of you are quite entertaining. And on a night were I'd normally be enjoying some Canadian Bacon I rather enjoyed it and thank you for the diversion.

jaela wrote: Oh gawd, do people seriously dislike this sort of thing? I think it's one of the most classically appealing literary techniques of all time.
Yes, it's classic, and it DOES work, but if it had gone 1000 pgs with no resolution, even Jane Eyre would have been tedious. Like I said, I have a love/hate relationship with this concept. I love the dance, but after four L-O-N-G years of the hokey pokey, I'm ready for a tango! Twisted Evil

Gum pirat

Many thanks to my private tutor on HTML. I am now savvier...
Thnx4theGum
Thnx4theGum
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:43 pm

jaela wrote:Oh gawd, do people seriously dislike this sort of thing? I think it's one of the most classically appealing literary techniques of all time. Be it Jane Eyre or Mulder and Scully, wherever there be well-written "will they, won't they" tension, there too shall I be. I EAT IT UP WITH A SPOON. That sort of restless suspense is so delicious! It may be agonizing at times, but it's a good sort of pain.
That said, I think they could have at LEAST given us Ange & Hodgins. A little bit of relief to balance out the anxious thrill of Brennan & Booth.

Anyway, a cliché is a cliché because it works and people respond to it. No harm in reinventing a steadfast stratagem. =]
It's not that we don't appreciate a the UST created in a 'Star crossed lovers' pairing, and it is, as you point out, a classic plot device both in literary works and in teleplays. The fact remains that as with most classic plot devices a little goes a long way. Over use of any plot device turns what should be entertaining and captivating into trite and hackneyed. If a show depends on this device to generate the sexual 'tension' that keeps the interpersonal side of things fresh and hot, then it behooves the writers to anticipate the tipping point in their main characters' relationship. Make them a couple too soon (in the logical progression of the relationship) and your coupling lacks substance, worse you miss our on plot opportunities. However if you tarry too long in bringing them together you risk ruining what makes them special as a couple, the pairing loses it's spark, it's fire.

Look at Bones. The first three seasons of the show Booth's & Brennan's divergent backgrounds, disparate personalities, and contrarian views on life made any possible 'joining' before Wannabe in the Weeds unsustainable and would most assuredly have resulted in a short lived and tumultuous affair that would have ended badly for them. Post WitW though, especially after ConMan, and it becomes even more unbelievable that they aren't together and the writers are reduced to plot contrivances that are the literary equivalent of jumping through hoops to produce or maintain the barriers between them. S4 was a perfect example really. Booth's behaviour toward Brennan was all over the map, some episodes he was Booth Classic, the consummate gentleman and caring best friend who always put Brennan's heart first, while in other episodes he was a smug, crass, jackass who acted terribly toward her. Princess was one of the meanest episodes I can recall and it was the first time in the history of the show where I was honestly glad they weren't together because it was the first time I felt as if Booth didn't deserve her. That's an example of writers pushing the envelope to maintain an increasingly insupportable story line which is what they're faced with now.

You called it '...a good sort of pain.' I would contend that while it may have been so at one time, now it's simply painful. What I'd like to see is a satisfactory resolution before we have to put the show down to end everyone's suffering.

king RM

BTW, I would never have selected Eyre, Wuthering Heights perhaps if one wants Brontė, or if Jane is more your liking then Mansfield Park or Persuasion, in any event I've always thought Charlotte was the most overrated of the Brontė sisters.
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:10 pm

I agree, EitB would have been a perfect 100th episode, with the sex hype toned down and without that hackneyed ending. In terms of the script and the acting, it was a perfectly good epi (shush, Rob), but as a season closer, it wasn't the best choice.

THX1138 wrote:The first three seasons of the show Booth's & Brennan's divergent backgrounds, disparate personalities, and contrarian views on life made any possible 'joining' before Wannabe in the Weeds unsustainable and would most assuredly have resulted in a short lived and tumultuous affair that would have ended badly for them.
Oh, yes. While there have been some wonderful fics following those season that showed a good BB relationship, and maybe it could have worked out, the feel in this season is just so much more...I don't know. Hopeful? Solid? Something I can't satisfactorily put into words, though I have tried many times.

Thnx4theGum wrote:my theory on the lack of guy hugs this year is that they're starting to view touching as more of a sexual than a casual act. Tingles and all that stuff- heck, Booth looked like his hand was going to catch fire in Boot! Every touch means something more, though notice please, that somewhere along the way she started touching him like a g/f would whenever he gets hurt and that HAS continued this season.
I love this theory and will keep my eyes peeled for evidence as we go along. Let's see, Booth was wounded 1st time back in Two Bodies, I think. She was pretty stiff throughout with his injuries until the very end, when she apparently leaned on him wrong. What was next--well, Killer/Concrete is what jumps to mind next, though I know it can't be the actual next one. Yeah, her at his side when she and Max rush in... *nods* I can see that.

BTW, glad you enjoy our nonsense--it's a lot of fun on this end, at least
Laughing

queen

and as for Plan HH; hopefully my sisters didn't get all the good acting skills among all the drama queens in the family!
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:28 pm

dawnsfire wrote:I agree, EitB would have been a perfect 100th episode, with the sex hype toned down and without that hackneyed ending. In terms of the script and the acting, it was a perfectly good epi (shush, Rob), but as a season closer, it wasn't the best choice.
Grumble grumble grumble...*sigh* Fine. Thy wish is ever our command my Queen.

THX1138 wrote:The first three seasons of the show Booth's & Brennan's divergent backgrounds, disparate personalities, and contrarian views on life made any possible 'joining' before Wannabe in the Weeds unsustainable and would most assuredly have resulted in a short lived and tumultuous affair that would have ended badly for them.
Oh, yes. While there have been some wonderful fics following those season that showed a good BB relationship, and maybe it could have worked out, the feel in this season is just so much more...I don't know. Hopeful? Solid? Something I can't satisfactorily put into words, though I have tried many times.
I often refer to it as being more mature, also not the best description but like you, I've yet to find a word that really sums it up. It just seems like it's coming up on time for this to end, like the anticipation of a butterfly's emergence from it's chrysalis.

Thnx4theGum wrote:my theory on the lack of guy hugs this year is that they're starting to view touching as more of a sexual than a casual act. Tingles and all that stuff- heck, Booth looked like his hand was going to catch fire in Boot! Every touch means something more, though notice please, that somewhere along the way she started touching him like a g/f would whenever he gets hurt and that HAS continued this season.
I love this theory and will keep my eyes peeled for evidence as we go along. Let's see, Booth was wounded 1st time back in Two Bodies, I think. She was pretty stiff throughout with his injuries until the very end, when she apparently leaned on him wrong. What was next--well, Killer/Concrete is what jumps to mind next, though I know it can't be the actual next one. Yeah, her at his side when she and Max rush in... *nods* I can see that.
I have to agree, this theory does seem to sum up the change in their relationship as well as explain the lack of physical contact. I mean in S3 Booth practically mugged Brennan in some scenes, likewise in S4, yet S5 has been so spartan that only this makes sense.

Laughing

queen
On this end as well. There are many here with whom I enjoy a fast and free exchange of ideas, but there are few so adept at giving as good or better than our Queen, more than that she tasks me to be better and that is something I truly cherish. Plus she's got a wicked sense of humor. Very Happy

and as for Plan HH; hopefully my sisters didn't get all the good acting skills among all the drama queens in the family!
Even if they have I'll trust that verbal and mental accuity you display here so constantly shall be sufficient to distract them. If not, well, there's always boobies. Hey, it worked for Pam Anderson and I guarantee no matter how bad your acting skills you're still leagues better than her.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by jaela Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:36 pm

Hm, I can see that I suppose. For one thing, I came in late in the game, having disliked the pilot at first viewing and only more recently having been convinced by my best friend to give Bones anther try... so I was able to marathon the first couple of seasons, and as a result I guess it doesn't seem as long a struggle to me.
Also, I was always a big X-Files geek. So I am used to seasons of waiting. XD

Anyway, yeah, I'll admit as readily as anyone that I would love to at least see some more kissing ASAP(more steamboats! PLEASE more steamboats! XD) and maybe even an attempt at a relationship sometime this season, but I wouldn't fault the writers if afterwards they put it on hold somehow, even multiple times, until closer to the end of the series. What I do not agree with the author of this open letter on at all is the idea that putting off the big "we are a couple now!" thing until the end or near the end is a bad or tired decision. In the sort of story where the unresolved sexual tension is such a key factor in the plot, the resolution of such becomes, in large part, the resolution of the entire story. Anything after that, in most cases, is effectively an epilogue... and too long of an epilogue can get boring IMO.
I think a happy medium might be something like... Booth and Brennan experiment with some sort of relationship a bit but ultimately it gets put on hold for a while for whatever reason, they seriously-and-for-good get together toward the end of the penultimate season, and spend the last season having cute coupley subplots(but not at the expense of the rest of the show's storyline). Learning quirks that only significant others discover, making the decision to move in together, etc. And then we have a wedding in the series finale. Or even an episode or two prior, so we can see them for just a bit as a married couple and learn what that means for their jobs and their relationships with the rest of the cast. But honestly, I think a healthy, together seriously-and-for-good relationship between them shouldn't be stretched out too long.
This could be partially my Whedonite persuasion talking; when a couple is happy, I get uncomfortable and start wondering which is going to die. *cough*

Oh, and I mentioned Jane Eyre because that's the book that springs to mind when mutually unslaked passion comes up. I read it when I was very young so I guess it became a sort of reference point for all other stories of the like =]

jaela

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thnx4theGum Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:36 pm

dawnsfire wrote:I love this theory and will keep my eyes peeled for evidence as we go along. Let's see, Booth was wounded 1st time back in Two Bodies, I think. She was pretty stiff throughout with his injuries until the very end, when she apparently leaned on him wrong. What was next--well, Killer/Concrete is what jumps to mind next, though I know it can't be the actual next one. Yeah, her at his side when she and Max rush in... *nods* I can see that.

Laughing

queen

Scientist was the peak last year- she fiddled over his face so much when he got punched by the blind guy. And waiting by a guy's bed for 4 days has gotta earn her some brownie points too!

I noticed it resurface again this season in Boot when he nicked his elbow in the first plumbing attempt. She fusses like I would with my hubby; and he lets her!

Though really, if my guy got shot, stabbed, operated on, as much as Booth has I'd be checking every paper cut too!

Gum pirat
Thnx4theGum
Thnx4theGum
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:44 pm

jaela wrote:This could be partially my Whedonite persuasion talking; when a couple is happy, I get uncomfortable and start wondering which is going to die. *cough*
Heh, I get that. It's the curse of "The Curse" all over again. That was the most brutal season of TV ever (okay, barring S7 which was one epic downer). The first third was incredible shipper matieral, they were a couple even if they hadn't had sex, there were smoochies and moments galore, then a rainy night, a pack of vampires, Angel looks at Buffy who looks at Angel and *wham* *bam* *thank you Vampire* Angel is gone (that pesky moment of perfect happiness) and Angelus sets up residence. Whedon does have a way of making you long for those moments of mediocrity because excess happiness leads to bloodshed in his worlds.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thnx4theGum Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:46 pm

THX1138 wrote:I mean in S3 Booth practically mugged Brennan in some scenes, likewise in S4, yet S5 has been so spartan that only this makes sense.

I nearly choked from laughing at this! The man is as touchy-feely as it gets in the earlier seasons. The only time I thought it was creepy was in the ep right after Aliens he does one of his steering moves and she asks "Why do I always feel like you're abducting me?"

You could get plastered watching Cinderella if you did a Booth-touch drinking game. The man was an octopus in that one!

Gum pirat
Thnx4theGum
Thnx4theGum
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down