Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~5x05 A Night at the Bones Museum~ REVIEWS

2 posters

Go down

~5x05 A Night at the Bones Museum~ REVIEWS Empty ~5x05 A Night at the Bones Museum~ REVIEWS

Post by Turi ray of sunshine Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:35 am

Post reviews here.
However for those of you lucky peeps that have watched it before hand there is a thread created in the Spoiler Section so you can post all the epi goodies there. Feel free to post any links here after the show airs tonight at 8PM et - 7PM ct

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION!
Turi ray of sunshine
Turi ray of sunshine
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 39283
Say What You Want : Just another cashew in a town of mixed nuts
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

~5x05 A Night at the Bones Museum~ REVIEWS Empty Re: ~5x05 A Night at the Bones Museum~ REVIEWS

Post by marymageli Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Right. Here I am with Zap2It's report on last night's recap composed by Liz Pardue. Enjoy!

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

'Bones': Brennan lets her geek flag fly

By Liz Pardue

|
October 15, 2009 7:32 PM

Wow, they really aren't kidding around with the Booth/Brennan stuff this season on "Bones," are they? Not that I'm complaining! We also got to see the awesomely geeky anthropologist side of Brennan tonight, which was a great reminder that just because she's brilliant and lacks people skills, it doesn't mean she's cold and clinical about everything.

The Case:

Our first victim, it seems, is a 3,000 year-old mummy. But seeing as our mummy is covered in fresh blood, it's safe to assume that there's another, more recent victim. Brennan completely geeks out about the possibility of the mummy being a new archaeological find, and it's as endearing as it is hilarious. To give you a point of reference, she and Daisy are equally excited. Yeah. Apparently, "The Mummy" inspired Brennan to be an anthropologist - and how funny was she reciting the lines along with Boris Karloff?

Brennan identifies the mummy as being valuable enough to kill for: Anok, the second son of a pharaoh, who trampled his brother Meti with a horse in order to take the throne, but was decapitated by his father. And he was apparently on loan to the Jeffersonian from the Egyptian government. Ooooh, awkward, especially considering the fact that he's been cut open and something has been removed from his chest cavity. You probably can't hide that kind of damage with silly putty and concealer, or whatever they used on "Six Feet Under."

The director of the Egyptian department seems like the logical person to talk to, but it seems Dr. Kaswell has been killed and stuffed into the mummy's coffin. How...appropriate? Before the squints finish examining Anok, Egypt comes by to claim their priceless, and now damaged, cultural artifact. Fair enough, guys.

Luckily, the gang is able to track down a CAT scan Dr. Kaswell took of Anok before she died, which shows that the object in his chest was not only painted with hieroglyphics, but also contained a big fat ruby in place of Anok's heart. Well, Brennan may think Anok alone is valuable enough to kill for, but I think the ruby definitely seals the deal. And on the very short list of people who saw the CAT scan? Mr. Turnbull, the exhibit's administrator. Of course we take a few wrong turns before arriving there, but I'm going for brevity here, so work with me.

Mr. Turnbull lost his retirement funds in the market, and justified his planned theft by reasoning that no one had even known the ruby was there before. He planned to sneak in, take the ruby, and close Anok up again, but Dr. Kaswell interrupted him. And may I just note that though I didn't exactly call it, I'd been down on him since he subtly slammed DC earlier in the episode? I've managed to make it much longer than two weeks in DC, thankyouverymuch.

And hey, it's a twofer this week! Brennan and an Egyptian scholar are able to translate the hieroglyphics on the box that held the ruby: it's a note from Anok's mother calling him guiltless. That's enough for Brennan (ever the justice-seeker) to leap into action! She obtains Meti's remains from New York, examines them, and determines he wasn't trampled but rather suffered from brittle bone disease and died in the fall off his horse. Her discovery prompts a whole new exhibit, and provides a nice window into what her life might be like if she weren't solving crimes all the time. Honestly, it looks like she really enjoys it. ...Though I suppose she wouldn't be solving 3,000 year-old "murder" cases very often.

The Squint Squad:

johnfrancisdaley_bones_s5_290.jpgSweets puts in a good word for Daisy, convincing Brennan to give her another shot at being an intern. Yay! He's helped to control her excitement through breathing exercises and a hilariously modulated voice tone, but the real Daisy shines through pretty frequently. This time around, though, she contains herself just enough for Brennan to see her value.

Unfortunately, Sweets doesn't have the confidence in Daisy to let her fly solo, and when she sees him trying to check up on her she freezes him out. Thanks to an insightful Cam, Sweets realizes that he needs to trust Daisy and let her screw up on her own. And after a very sweet apology, they're back together and "sexy growling" (as my closed captioning put it) at each other in no time.

Booth and Brennan:

Meaty stuff this week! Oswald from the Drew Carey Show is all grown up (awww) and is Booth's boss's boss - Andrew to Dr. Brennan, and Assistant Director Hacker to Booth. He has a bit of a crush on Brennan...or as she puts it, "Director Hacker wants to have sex with me." In a shocking turn of events, Booth isn't psyched about her dating his superior. Hacker does him the courtesy of double-checking about the nature of Booth's relationship with Brennan, but Booth claims it's strictly professional. Riiiiight.

Brennan is completely, charmingly Brennan on their date and tries not to talk about Booth (per his request), but slips and tells a story about his mom's meatloaf. When she's called back to the lab, Angela lays a little knowledge on her: Booth is mad about the date because a) she's dating his boss's boss and could screw up the natural order of things, and b) Booth wants to date her himself. Brennan points out that she drinks with Booth all the time, but she could have sex with Hacker. Angela: "...And not with Booth?" [pause] Brennan: "So...there was something you wanted me to see?"

Hacker goes to see Booth, and even though I'm rooting for him to fail, he's pretty adorable. He admits that it's been a while since he met someone special, and he doesn't want to make a fool out of himself if she's only dating him because he's the boss. Um, give her a little credit, dude! Booth points out the obvious: Brennan could care less about Hacker's, or anyone's, position.

Later, Booth busts Brennan on talking about him during the date.

Brennan: "Why are you so upset?"

Booth: "Because...what goes on between us is ours."

Brennan: "Come on, Booth, you must've told a lot of people that meatloaf story, right?"

Booth: [long look]

At the opening of Brennan's exhibit, Booth gives her a really sweet pep talk about changing history, and she throws it right back to him. He also mentions that Hacker had said she'd be taking him to the event. And yet, no Hacker. Hmmmmm. Brennan: "I was, yes, but...you and I, this was our case...and I guess...what goes on between us, that should just be ours. Isn't that what you said?" Please note they're so close at this point that they're practically breathing each other's air. Buuut, of course they're interrupted by the squints calling them back to the event.

Brennan fixes Booth's bow tie, Booth brushes (strokes, really) the hair off her shoulder and clears his throat, and they walk off together. They're totally making up excuses to touch each other, in case that wasn't clear. Squees all around? Yeah, I thought so.

Sick of all the Booth/Brennan yet? How do you feel about Daisy's return?
marymageli
marymageli
Master Criminal
Master Criminal

Number of posts : 28379

Back to top Go down

~5x05 A Night at the Bones Museum~ REVIEWS Empty Re: ~5x05 A Night at the Bones Museum~ REVIEWS

Post by marymageli Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:11 am

Here is the next one provided by EW's Mandi Bierly in Popwatch Blog. Love how she expresses her shipper feelings. I swear I heard her squealing. lol

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

'Bones' recap: 'I love ancient remains. I really do.'
by Mandi Bierly

Oct 16 ...:41 AM ET

Allow me to begin with the observation that Brennan’s delightful giddiness over the possibility of appearing on the cover of the American Anthropological Association’s journal was the equivalent of mine at the end of the episode when Booth appeared in a tux at the opening of the Jeffersonian’s Prince Anok exhibit. Honestly, I could stay in this will-they-or-won’t-they? limbo forever if we keep getting moments like that one: The two of them got closer and closer and lingered to the point that you became aware of just how long the scene was going on. Part of you needed it to stop, and part of you wanted the sweet torture to continue. (Sorta the romantic equivalent of the awkwardness you felt watching Timmy and Jimmy’s lengthy battle in the classic “Cripple Fight” episode of South Park.) Would they have kissed if the rest of the team hadn’t interrupted them? Instead, Brennan straightened Booth’s tie, he fixed her hair, and I tried not to hyperventilate.

We need to once again take a moment to praise David Boreanaz. The beauty of Booth is that one minute he can be playing dumb and raising his arms as he asks if the corpse they’ve found on an electric fence is an Egyptian mummy (”Like a real mummy?”), and the next he can be looking genuinely hurt that Brennan shared the story of how his mother used to tell him that the hardboiled egg in her meatloaf was a human eye on her date with his boss (guest star Diedrich Bader). “What goes on between us is ours,” he said. “Come on, Booth, you must have told a lot of people the meatloaf story, right?” And silence. Except for me squealing “Oh, Booooooooth!” in a pitch that only my neighbor’s dog (and possibly intern Daisy) could hear.

The case this episode was a fun one: Brennan and Co. (including Daisy, who’d Sweets gotten a 24-hour provisional return to the fold) had to first ID the mummy. Then they had to find the victim whose blood was splattered on it (we’ll just take Cam’s word that it was enough blood to know that the stabbing was fatal, ’cause we didn’t see it), then determine what was stolen from inside the mummy’s chest cavity, then arrest the person who would kill for that. My only real problem with the investigation was that there’s no way Hodgins should’ve missed a fingerprint on the mummy linen the first time around. You’ve got a mummy that you know was cut open and moved, so someone touched it. You’d take a good, hard look for fingerprints, even if you weren’t expecting to find any because you suspected whoever had access to it in the Jeffersonian would be smart enough to wear gloves.

Of course, had we found that fingerprint sooner, we would’ve come back to the head of ancient Rome culture and artifacts, who said he had to save the mummy from falling from its tomb when he went to apologize to the murdered curator for being a douche jealous of her funding. He revealed that she’d told him about the CAT Scan and the giant ruby buried inside Anok’s chest (which represented his bleeding heart at being accused of killing his brother and losing the love of his father) — but also said that this info. was in her missing notes, which she would’ve given to the exhibit’s administrator, the liaison between her and the Egyptian National Museum. Since we’d already cleared the woman from the museum (it would’ve been too much like that recent diamond/USB drive case), they knew it was the administrator. He didn’t want to kill his colleague. She just got in the way as he was stealing the ruby to replace the retirement he lost in the market. What did TV shows do for motive before the crap economy? I can’t remember.

More observations about the episode: Seeing the murder victim’s open torso on Cam’s autopsy table, and Cam later slicing the woman’s brain (cut to blood dripping in her hollow head!), was the grossest sight we’ve witnessed on this series. The dialogue throughout the hour had a nice spark to it. Angela to Sweets, who’d given Daisy breathing exercises and scary vocal coaching so she’d be less annoying: “I thought you fixed her.” Angela to Cam: “He’s Daisy’s trainer. If she attacks, he can put her down.” Brennan was actually likable! How refreshing was it to see her act out a scene from 1932’s The Mummy, the film that made her want to be an anthropologist, and get so excited about something in her field that she was Daisy-like with enthusiasm? (Though all I kept thinking was how pissed the other interns would be that it wasn’t their rotation with Brennan when she exonerated Anok, whose brother died from a horse accident because he had Brittle Bone Disease.) Daisy and Sweets having wild sex at work was a little jolting, yes? But I suppose a nice nod to the way Hodgins and Angela used to hit the sheets on the clock. I like that young, brilliant Sweets is smart enough to ask for love advice. “Dr. Sweets you’re crushing me and I think you’re getting brain on your suit,” Cam said, post impromptu therapy session. And speaking of love, let’s go back to Brennan and Booth…

Every time someone on the show says something blunt about Booth and Brennan’s feelings, it still shocks me. Like when Angela was trying to find out why Brennan agreed to go to dinner with Booth’s boss, when it’s clear that Booth wants to be dating her, and Brennan said it’s because while she drinks with Booth all the time, with Andrew there’s the potential for sex. “But not with Booth?” Angela asked. Addressing the tension head-on is bold, and I dig it. At this point, it would be ridiculous if the others pretended they didn’t see what’s between them. Now the big question: Do we want to see Andrew again? He seems to appreciate Bones’ brain and unique, overly literal sense of humor, and it would obviously continue to upset Booth — which makes for drama and sweet moments like Booth assuring Andrew that Bones will never be pressured into doing something she doesn’t want to do. I’d love to know what would’ve happened had Booth said there was something between he and Brennan when Andrew asked. Would the Assistant Director of the FBI really have just backed off so he didn’t come between the couple, or would he have backed off and split them up as partners? We know being intimate with someone you’re working with in life and death situations can compromise judgment (remember Cam’s hospital stay after she broke protocol for Booth in the Epps investigation?). Having Andrew uncover the bond between Booth and Brennan and decide to separate them? That could be good Sweeps TV when the show returns in November…
marymageli
marymageli
Master Criminal
Master Criminal

Number of posts : 28379

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down