Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vegan Diets Becoming More Mainstream

+3
RGPageantqueen
Meegs82
bugaboo628
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Vegan Diets Becoming More Mainstream Empty Vegan Diets Becoming More Mainstream

Post by bugaboo628 Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:06 pm

A mention of Emily and how vegan diets are becoming more popular.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
bugaboo628
bugaboo628
Administrator/Head Moderator

Number of posts : 1586
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Vegan Diets Becoming More Mainstream Empty Re: Vegan Diets Becoming More Mainstream

Post by Meegs82 Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:57 pm

Quote from the article: "using the first two and last three letters of the word "vegetarian.""

That's an OOPS! I love pointing out these things. It should be the "first THREE and last TWO." Smile
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4106
Say What You Want : Dancing Phalanges! Dancing Phalanges!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Vegan Diets Becoming More Mainstream Empty Re: Vegan Diets Becoming More Mainstream

Post by Meegs82 Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:00 pm

May I add that I am proud to call myself a vegan! Smile I actually can't even imagine going back to eating meat and dairy. It's just...foreign to me now.
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:05 pm

haha, my Aunts a vegan, I don't know how she can do it. But then again I don't eat a lot of meat myself. Mostly chicken. Red meat and such don't taste good to me so I don't eat it much. But I come from a southern style home. We love our BBQ's.... Smile
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 5921
Say What You Want : There's a wild wild wind calling out my name, like a long lost friend, and there's nothing sweeter than American honey<3
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by bugaboo628 Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:08 pm

Meegs82 wrote:May I add that I am proud to call myself a vegan! Smile I actually can't even imagine going back to eating meat and dairy. It's just...foreign to me now.

I am as well. It bothers me just thinking about the way I used to eat.
bugaboo628
bugaboo628
Administrator/Head Moderator

Number of posts : 1586
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:29 pm

really? I battle back and forth with it. So I chose to make Thursdays my vegetarian day, in honor of Emily since it's Bones night. I figure it's enough to make a difference and still have the best of both worlds.
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Say What You Want : There's a wild wild wind calling out my name, like a long lost friend, and there's nothing sweeter than American honey<3

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:46 am

bugaboo628 wrote:
Meegs82 wrote:May I add that I am proud to call myself a vegan! Smile I actually can't even imagine going back to eating meat and dairy. It's just...foreign to me now.

I am as well. It bothers me just thinking about the way I used to eat.

I know! I was NEVER a big meat-eater anyway. So, I gave it all up in Nov. of '07. But then a new doctor told me I HAD to eat meat to get my protein. Added it back into my diet and got really sick, but I didn't know it was 'cuz of the meat. Emily was the one who convinced me to stop eating it again. She didn't tell me to stop eating it 'cuz she never preaches, but after she told me about certain health issues, I realized that the meat was what was causing my problems. I stopped eating it and I went back to normal. Then, I went vegan this year. It makes me ill just thinking about dairy...especially sour cream...ewww!

But that's just me! And I don't judge, promise! Smile The best kind of vegan is the kind that doesn't preach and judge, but educates and encourages.

Last edited by Meegs82 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:47 am

RGPageantqueen wrote:really? I battle back and forth with it. So I chose to make Thursdays my vegetarian day, in honor of Emily since it's Bones night. I figure it's enough to make a difference and still have the best of both worlds.

That's a really cool idea! And I love that you do it on Bones day Smile
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:49 am

RGPageantqueen wrote:haha, my Aunts a vegan, I don't know how she can do it. But then again I don't eat a lot of meat myself. Mostly chicken. Red meat and such don't taste good to me so I don't eat it much. But I come from a southern style home. We love our BBQ's.... Smile

The whole southern style thing was how I was raised...even though I don't live and have never lived in the south. Whole family is from Texas! I know what ya mean! Wink
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:06 am

Meegs82 wrote:
RGPageantqueen wrote:haha, my Aunts a vegan, I don't know how she can do it. But then again I don't eat a lot of meat myself. Mostly chicken. Red meat and such don't taste good to me so I don't eat it much. But I come from a southern style home. We love our BBQ's.... Smile

The whole southern style thing was how I was raised...even though I don't live and have never lived in the south. Whole family is from Texas! I know what ya mean! Wink

It's gotta be why southerners are so fat. haha. We loves us our food! Smile
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:07 am

RGPageantqueen wrote:
Meegs82 wrote:

It's gotta be why southerners are so fat. haha. We loves us our food! Smile

Amen to that! I've lost ::cough 40, cough, pounds:: since I've been a vegan!
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:07 am

P.S. That is a GOOD thing for me since I had medical issues that made me gain weight.
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:07 am

So far so good on vegetarian day, had a bagel with jam for breakfast, vegetable soup and grilled cheese for lunch and I haven't had dinner yet, but I think I'll have something like a veggie burger and fries. Smile
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:08 am

Meegs82 wrote:P.S. That is a GOOD thing for me since I had medical issues that made me gain weight.

The worst medical issues are the ones that make you gain weight. I was on a pill this past week that caused me to lose 5 lbs in a week. =O
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:10 am

RGPageantqueen wrote:So far so good on vegetarian day, had a bagel with jam for breakfast, vegetable soup and grilled cheese for lunch and I haven't had dinner yet, but I think I'll have something like a veggie burger and fries. Smile

Good job! And yum to the veggie burger and fries idea! Smile
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:14 am

I'm a vegetarian, but I really could never live vegan......that wouldn't work
I love cheese and yogurt and stuff too much

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 37397
Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:19 am

I need something fast or I'll miss Bones! =O That'd be BADD!
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:20 am

ToZiKa wrote:I'm a vegetarian, but I really could never live vegan......that wouldn't work

You know, I used to say that too. I thought I could not live without cheese. But I did it...cold turkey! Wanna know something interesting? Cheese literally becomes addictive. The opiates (morphine) in dairy cause the brain to become addicted. And in cheese, the concentration of morphine is much higher because of the way it is processed.

Okay, I'll hush up now. I'm not trying to convert you! Smile
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:23 am

Meegs82 wrote:
ToZiKa wrote:I'm a vegetarian, but I really could never live vegan......that wouldn't work

You know, I used to say that too. I thought I could not live without cheese. But I did it...cold turkey! Wanna know something interesting? Cheese literally becomes addictive. The opiates (morphine) in dairy cause the brain to become addicted. And in cheese, the concentration of morphine is much higher because of the way it is processed.

oh I know all that stuff......had biology and chemistry at a major in my last years in high school.....
but I like it way too much to stop eating it.....

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:29 am

ToZiKa wrote:
Meegs82 wrote:

oh I know all that stuff......had biology and chemistry at a major in my last years in high school.....

Hehehe, you're a cheese addict!!! LOL Razz Smile Cool Very Happy Laughing
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:31 am

Meegs82 wrote:
ToZiKa wrote:
Meegs82 wrote:

yeah I guess I am......but at least I am aware of it
that should count for something too, right?

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:43 am

ToZiKa wrote:
Meegs82 wrote:
ToZiKa wrote:
Meegs82 wrote:

yeah I guess I am......but at least I am aware of it
that should count for something too, right?

I'm just teasing! I was a cheese addict, too! Smile In fact, there are times (very rarely! Razz) that I still crave cheese.
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi1975 Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:08 am

I admire Emily for her strong beliefs. I'm not a vegetarian - let alone a vegan - but I have definitely been influenced by her since reading interviews with her. I rarely eat meat now, maybe a few times a month, whereas before I'd eat meat probably about four or five times a week. I have to admit, though, that although I probably could become a vegetarian, I could never be vegan. I love 'proper' cheese far too much, along with milk and yoghurt!

Fi1975
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 51
Say What You Want : Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!
Registration date : 2009-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:11 am

Fi1975 wrote:I admire Emily for her strong beliefs. I'm not a vegetarian - let alone a vegan - but I have definitely been influenced by her since reading interviews with her. I rarely eat meat now, maybe a few times a month, whereas before I'd eat meat probably about four or five times a week. I have to admit, though, that although I probably could become a vegetarian, I could never be vegan. I love 'proper' cheese far too much, along with milk and yoghurt!

Welcome to the ABY, Fi! Smile Emily played a large role in my going vegan and I think it's awesome that people respect her enough that they can listen to what she has to say and make changes, like you have. Kudos to you for making those changes, too! Smile
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi1975 Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:26 am

Meegs82 wrote:
Fi1975 wrote:I admire Emily for her strong beliefs. I'm not a vegetarian - let alone a vegan - but I have definitely been influenced by her since reading interviews with her. I rarely eat meat now, maybe a few times a month, whereas before I'd eat meat probably about four or five times a week. I have to admit, though, that although I probably could become a vegetarian, I could never be vegan. I love 'proper' cheese far too much, along with milk and yoghurt!

Welcome to the ABY, Fi! Smile Emily played a large role in my going vegan and I think it's awesome that people respect her enough that they can listen to what she has to say and make changes, like you have. Kudos to you for making those changes, too! Smile

Thanks for the welcome! Glad to be here! I think Emily does such a good job of promoting veganism, or even vegetarianism, without coming across as 'preachy'. I eat meat maybe once or twice a month now - I never buy meat, I'm more likely to eat it on a night out if I don't like the meat free options at a restaurant, but dairy is my downfall! That's great that you've become a vegan. I hope you're not finding it too difficult to incorporate it into your lifestyle. Here in the UK, if you go out for a meal, pretty much all restaurants cater for vegetarians, but the vegan options are so, so limited.

Fi1975
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 51
Say What You Want : Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!
Registration date : 2009-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next