Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twist in the Trawler (BB, Angst, K+)

+3
heather2410
Cassiopeia
ForensicMama
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Twist in the Trawler (BB, Angst, K+) Empty The Twist in the Trawler (BB, Angst, K+)

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:44 am

I hope you all enjoy this story. It was one of my favorites. Smile

Chapter 1
________

Temperance stood, her hands on her hips, her posture revealing uncertainty. On the couch in front of her sat a boy of six with blond hair and a serious expression. In his hands, he tapped away on a Nintendo DS. His thumbs moved quickly.

"How often do children your age eat? Every four hours, right?"

The boy shrugged, "I dunno." His eyes never left the toy in his hands.

"Would you like to eat?"

"I guess."

"What do you like to eat?" Temperance's face was scrunched with concern. "Do you like sushi?"

"What's sushi?" asked Parker. His eyes returned to the DS. "Oooh!" He threw his head back in anger.

"What? What's wrong?" Bones looked concerned.

"The wizard blocked my spell. It rebounded and killed me."

Bones sat beside Parker. "How about risotto? A nice spinach salad with chicken and broccoli?"

Parker scrunched his nose, "What about macaroni and cheese?"

Bones got up and walked to the kitchen. She looked in the refrigerator and moved things around to see what was hidden behind cartons and containers. "I'm sorry, Parker. I don't see Gouda or Mozzarella... I guess I could substitute Gruyère for Gouda..." Bones knelt down to look lower in the refrigerator. "I suppose I could get creative..." she spoke to herself. Then she spoke louder for Parker to hear, "Do you know if your dad happens to have Roquefort, Gorgonzola... Camembert... cheddar, even?"

"What?" asked Parker.

Bones pulled her cell phone out of her pocket.

"Booth." replied her partner on the other line. "Hey, Bones. I was just about to call and check on Parker."

"He's doing fine. When do you get back?"

"My plane leaves in an hour. Hey, thanks for watching Parker today. Rebecca couldn't get the day off."

"No problem," she replied.

Booth could hear the distress in Brennan's voice, "What's wrong?"

Bones turned the corner so she was out of Parker's ear shot. "Parker wants macaroni and cheese," she whispered.

"So make him some."

"I can't just whip it up, Booth."

Booth looked confused as he replied, "Why not?"

"You have nothing but a little bit of pre-sliced sandwich cheese. I couldn't find any Gouda, Gruyère, Mozzarella, Camember--"

"Bones, Bones!" Booth cut in.

"What?" she whispered.

"Open up the cupboard next to the fridge." Bones opened the cupboard. "Do you see the blue box that says 'Mac N Cheese'?"

"Yes."

"Follow the directions on that box. You should be fine." Booth's phone began to beep. "Look, Bones, I've gotta go. Cullen's on the other line."

The phone clicked. For a moment, Temperance stared at the phone, then she stared at the box. She opened it up and took out the little packet. She ripped it open cautiously, then sniffed it. Bones began coughing uncontrollably.

"Are you ok?" Parker shouted.

"A-heh, A-heh, yeah, A-heh..." she choked out.

Brennan coughed on the powdered cheese dust. Her eyes were full of tears. She wiped them away and saw Parker standing in front of her.

"Are you ok?" he asked.

Bones nodded, looked at the packet of "cheese" and tossed it in the trash. "That can't be healthy," she muttered. "How about... Thai Food?" she smiled.

"Sure." Parker replied.

Last edited by ForensicMama on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4649
Say What You Want : MAMA: STONE-COLD SHIPPER.
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://www.bonesspoilers.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The Twist in the Trawler (BB, Angst, K+) Empty Re: The Twist in the Trawler (BB, Angst, K+)

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:45 am

Chapter 2
________

Night fell and Temperance had fallen asleep on Booth's bed. The sheet was tucked around her body as she slept soundly. The alarm clock next to the bed flashed 3:14--3:14--3:14...

Booth had come in quietly, careful not to disturb either of the people in the house. He expected to find Temperance asleep on the couch, but instead it was empty and the living room was still.

In the bedroom, he found Temperance asleep on the right side of the bed. That was his side, he thought as he came over to the bedside. He knelt down so his face was close to hers. He noted how her silky hair rippled over her arm and how the moonlight cast shadows of her eyelashes across her face. He laid his hand on her shoulder, careful not to scare her.

He thought about waking her, but instead realized how peaceful she was. He tiptoed out of the bedroom and found his way to the couch.
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

The Twist in the Trawler (BB, Angst, K+) Empty Re: The Twist in the Trawler (BB, Angst, K+)

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:46 am

Chapter 3
_________

The sunshine in her face woke her. Brennan woke up and rubbed her eyes. Looking at the clock beside the bed, she saw that it was 8:37. For a moment, she looked around the room trying to figure out where she was. The room was smaller than hers, the sheets were black... there was a photograph of a man holding a basketball on the wall across from her. Realizing what day it was, Bones jumped out of bed.

"Noooo! It's Friday!" she yelled. Mostly to herself, but in the other room, Booth jumped out of bed and ran into the bedroom. Standing in a pair of black underwear, he threw open the door.

"Bones! What's wrong?"

Hardly noting Booth's lack of adornment, Bones struggled put her jeans on in her hurry. "Booth, we slept in!" Booth, who stood awkwardly as he watched Bones... trying not to watch out of respect, but trying not to NOT watch at the same time, fumbled with the watch on his right hand. Bones threw a green jacket on that lay across a chair.

Bones stopped and looked at Booth as if to say, "Aren't you going to do something?" Booth ran to the closet and pulled out a suit which he tossed on the bed. He floundered to put his slacks on.

"Why didn't you wake me?" she yelled.

"Shhh!" he whispered back.

"What?"

"Parker. He's still asleep." He glanced at the clock and saw the time. "Shhhhh*t!" he cursed. "Rebecca's going to be here any moment to pick up Parker for school!"

The doorbell rang. Booth, with just a pair of trousers on and Bones... fully dressed, but with her hair unkempt, froze.

"What do we do...?" Bones asked.

"Just stay here." Booth ran out of the room. He flew to the door and opened it.

Breathing heavily, he greeted his ex, "Rebecca!"

"Seeley! She squeezed under Booth's arm and into the living room. "Where's Parker?"

"We slept in. I forgot to set the alarm clock. Sorry, Rebecca."

"Seeley! Now we're going to be late. I hope I'm not late for work. The prosecuting attorney has been..." she saw a woman's handbag on the table next to the couch, "riding... me..." She looked up at Seeley and smiled widely, "Do you have a woman over?"

Seeley paused, trying to come up with good story. It seemed that nothing was more convincing than the truth. "Uhhh... yeah."

"Really?" she smiled. "Who is she?"

Parker came out of the bedroom. He was clothed, but his hair needed combed and his face needed washed. Rebecca inspected him. "I'm just going to--" she gestured to the bathroom and led Parker down the hallway.

Booth nervously hovered over Rebecca and Parker. Rebecca bent over, washed Parker's face, and brushed his hair. "That'll have to do, I guess." She stood up and smiled at Booth. "I guess I better go." Parker and Rebecca walked outside. Rebecca adjusted the purse over her shoulder, smiled at Booth, then left.

Booth let out a sigh of relief once the door shut. Bones poked her head out of the room and walked quickly into the living room. She picked up her purse and put it over her shoulder. "That... was close." Booth breathed.

Bones smiled, "Yes... because that would have been awkward."

"Really awkward." Standing next to each other, they said nothing.

"Um, I... I better go. Cam's probably wondering where I've gone off to."

The door opened and Rebecca came in, "Sorry, I forgot to grab Parker's... bag." She froze. Booth, shirtless, and Bones with her hair unbrushed, stood inside the door. Rebecca's eyes leaped from Booth's face to Brennan's face and back. "Uh... I'll come back for it." She rambled, then shut the door. Standing outside of the door, Rebecca thought for a moment, shook her head, then jogged down to her car.
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:49 am

Chapter 4
________

Booth and Temperance walked through the shipyard. The strong scent of fish and seawater hung in the air.

Brennan leaned close to Booth, “I hope that Rebecca didn’t think—“

“Oh she thought,” nodded Booth.

“Look, Booth, I’m sorry…”

“No,” Booth shook his head. “Don’t’ worry about it. It’s none of her business anyway who I date or who I—“

“But we’re not—“

“Same difference, Bones. Same difference.”

A large bald man wearing yellow rubber overalls led the way. He stopped at an old fishing trawler.

“Constance,” read Booth, as he saw the name of the vessel.

“This is as far as I go. It’s up there,” nodded the man. Bones climbed aboard the Constance and Booth followed. Bones walked up to the large opening on the deck of the ship. Inside, a nearly completely decomposed body lay among flopping fish.

Booth covered his nose and took a few steps back. “You’d think the smell of a million dead fish would cover that scent.”

“It’s not a million, Booth,” she corrected. “Maybe a few hundred thousand.” Bones looked up, located the captain of the Constance and yelled, “Is there any chance you fished the body out of the ocean?”

“It's possible, but,” Captain Sorensen yelled back. “I think my crew would’ve noticed.”

“That’s when you know you need to lay off the sea food,” laughed Booth. Bones looked up with a serious expression. “Sorry. Poorly placed joke, there. Can you tell anything?”

Bones squatted beside the opening. She rested her gloved hand on the ground next to her knee. “ Male. Young. twenty-five to thirty years old. His rotator cuff and shoulders show signs of wear.” Bones looked up at Booth. “I think this man may have been a fisherman.”

Captain Sorensen, who had wandered to a spot beside Booth grumbled, "Now the whole pot is spoiled..."

A thick fog rolled in, making it hard for Booth to see his partner at just a few feet away. Leaning in, he asked, "What next?"

"I've got to get in there." she gestured toward the pit of fish.

"In... there?" Booth cocked his head confusedly. "You mean, in there?"

"Yes." Bones returned the look. She stood up, taking her gloves off and pushing them deep into her pocket. Several FBI agents and squints swarmed the decks of the Constance taking photographs and taping off the boardwalk. Bones started to push her way through the crowd. She stepped onto the deck and began walking towards land.

"What are you up to, now?" Booth asked as he followed Bones.

As they walked, Bones grabbed a random agent's arm, "Don't touch my body," she warned.

The agent looked a little confused, a little frightened, but overall he looked amused.

"I don't want anybody to compromise my remains. Don't touch my body!" Bones continued her long march to her forensic lab on wheels, a large blue van parked a few hundred yards off shore.

Booth leaned into the young agent's ear and whispered, "You should listen to her." He then jogged after Bones, "Uh... Bones," he began. "I think we should talk about using that particular phrase..."

"What? Compromising my remains? You know I don't like people touching my bodies."

"That's the phrase," he muttered. "Listen, saying to people, 'Don't touch my body' can mean other things."

Bones stopped and turned around. Booth stopped, too. "Like what? What other things?"

She turned and began her quick step to the van.

"Like... don't touch your body, Bones. Rated R things... X, really."

"My body? Like MY body?"

"Yes! Now you get it!" Booth exhaled.

"Then maybe I should say it more often!" Bones declared. She smiled at Booth over her shoulder as they finally reached the van. The doors were open and she sat on the edge.

The fog rolled away and the sun began to shine again. Sitting down, Dr. Brennan removed her black stiletto boots and jacket.

Booth started to feel uneasy, "Should I...?" He made a circle with his index finger, as if to ask if he should turn.

"No," Bones smiled. Behind the seat, Bones took out a navy blue full body jumper. She slid into it and zipped it up, then pulled the gum boots over her feet. Pulling her hair back into a pony tail she asked, "Do I have a way into the holding tank? Rope?"

Booth took out his cell and walked around out of Brennan's sight. Bones began to collect things in the van that she would need: viles, plastic bags, rubber gloves. She turned around to face her partner once again. "That was fast!" she declared.

"Davis said he'd have a harness and rope in ten minutes."

Temperance stood up and placed the evidence bags and gloves into her pockets. "Shall we?"

Dr. Temperance Brennan, with a harness on and a black baseball cap on her head to keep her hair out of her face... and therefore out of the water, was lowered slowly into the holding tank of the fishing trawler known as the Constance. Brennan could see the face of her partner several feet above her. He looked down with a concerned look, watching her every move, protecting her, keeping the rope taut and straight.

"Lower!" Temperance shouted. "Lower!"

At last her feet came hit firm ground at the bottom of the holding tank. Water and dead fish... some still flapping about, their gills pulsating for breath... came up to just under her ribcage.

"Booth!" she yelled up to her partner.

"What? Bones! What's wrong?" he yelled down.

"I think I just became a vegetarian again!" Bones made a swimming motion with her arms to push fish out of her way. Trudging slowly toward the body, she let her thoughts wander to the night before with Parker. "Kids should come with instruction manuals." She thought. Then she thought of Booth in his black briefs. "That answers the age old question..." she laughed to herself.

Finally, she came to a stop at the body. The body was clearly male. Quietly, she examined the body, carefully removing fish for a clearer view as her examination moved southward.

"Can you tell anything?" asked Booth, his voice echoing inside the large metal cave.

"Male!" Bones shouted back. "Like I said earlier: twenties, good muscle tone, he was very active, lots of upper body strength and wear in the shoulders!" Bones looked closer to the victim's body which was covered in pitted grooves and marks. "It looks as if the sea life have been feeding on the victim. There appears to be thousands of little bite marks."

Above, on the deck, Booth turned to Captain Sorensen who also watched as Dr. Brennan did her examination. "Do you store the fish on board while still alive... by any chance?" Booth asked the captain.

"Yep," he returned. "They store down below 'til we get them to land. That's why they're all dead like that." He motioned to the dying fish below deck. "They ain't meant to stay 'live that long..."

"Oh, great, I know where this is headed!" Booth groaned. He closed his eyes and rubbed them with his right hand. He was exhausted. He didn't get much sleep that night. His flight was delayed three hours, then it wasn't like he had a very gentle wakeup call.

"Booth!" Booth poked his head over the hole and made eye contact with his partner. "We need eight to twelve large crates, a few hundred bags of ice, a body bag, and I'd like to transport all of the water as well."

"Yeah!" Booth replied. It was going to be a very long day.

"She ain't squeamish, is she?" Captain Sorensen chuckled.

"You don't know the half of it!" Booth sighed.
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:49 am

Chapter 5
________

It wasn't until 4 PM when Bones finally made her way to the van. Booth followed closely behind. Dark circles hung beneath his eyes. "Bones, I'm heading home. I've got Parker for the night again."

Temperance sat on the floor of the van and slowly took her gum boots off. "Ok. I'll see you later?"

"Of course." Booth took a few steps, then turned around and watched his partner sitting solitarily on the edge of the van. She stood and unzipped her jumper. Then she took off her hat and pulled her hair out of the pony tail, letting it ripple over her shoulders. "You ok, Bones?"

Bones, barefoot and in a tank top and jeans, sat back down on the edge of the van. "Yeah," she replied and smiled. "I've got to get home. I smell like fish." She laughed and reached for one of her stiletto boots. She looked back up, half expecting to see Booth walking away, but he still stood there looking at Temperance. Brennan smiled, "What?"

"I hate seeing you going home alone, Bones. You know... all alone..." Booth suddenly felt uncomfortable and shoved his hands deep into his pockets. "You know, because then you'll be... alone."

Temperance laughed and brushed her hair out of her face. "I'll be fine, Booth. I won't be alone."

Booth's eyes grew a little larger... but just a little bit... not so large that they revealed his surprise, but larger nonetheless. "Uh... nah-not alone?" He thought, "Did I hear that correctly?"

Despite trying to hide the surprise in his voice, Bones heard it and stood to her feet. "Yeah, I'm not alone, Booth." Bones looked at her watch, "Shouldn't you go get Parker?"

"Uh... uh, yeah. I should go." Booth looked at his watch, then back up to his smiling partner. "I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

Bones was putting her jacket on when she shook her head and replied, "No. Cam, Hodgins, Angela and my grad students are going to take over the case for tomorrow. I have the day off." She smiled broadly, closed the van door, and walked closer to Booth.

"I... I see." Booth stumbled over his words.

Temperance may have been naive at times, but she knew this was bothering Booth. She smiled at the thought of Booth having a problem with her dating. She knew where his thoughts were. "The case won't be solved in a day, Booth."

Booth rested his hands on his hips, then rubbed his neck with his right hand as he spoke, "What are you going to do all day? I mean... it isn't like you to take a day off, Bones." Booth remembered Temperance's last vacation... with Sully.

Opening the van door and taking a seat in the driver's side seat Bones replied playfully, "I don't know... I was thinking about staying in bed all day..." Booth gulped. "watching old movies... In the meantime, I'm going home and taking a shower."
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:50 am

Chapter 5
________

Dr. Brennan was sitting on her sofa. She sat cross legged in a silky pair pink pajamas. Her hair was pulled in a messy bun on the back of her head. The television's volume was turned down, but Breakfast at Tiffany's was on the screen. Audrey Hepburn walked lightly through the streets of New York in her black and white ensemble.

Surrounded by paperwork and notes, Temperance read through files studiously. Jotting down notes on one file, then double checking on another.

Brennan heard a knock at a door, but thought it was Holly Golightly and not Booth. Booth knocked again. He stood nervously on the other side of the door.

Temperance finally looked up. Realizing it was her door and not Holly, she leaped to her feet. She peaked through the eye-hole on her door before opening the door to only a crack.

"What are you doing here, Booth?" Brennan asked.

Booth's eyes searched the background over Brennan's head before answering, "I brought Thai Food." He smiled.

"What's with you and Thai Food?"

"Better than Chinese." He scanned the background once again.

"Do you... want in?" Brennan asked.

"If you insist." Booth pushed his way inside. He saw the pile of papers. The movie on the television. He scanned the floors and coat hanger for signs of any other guest that might be in the room.

"Why are you here?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

"I was about to ask you the same thing," he replied suspiciously.

"What are you saying, Booth?"

"You told me you wouldn't be alone. And lo and behold--" he threw his arms in the air. "you're alone!"

"No I'm not. You're here." Bones made her way to the couch and sat down.

"You know that's not what I mean." He walked to Brennan's kitchen, walked straight to the utensil drawer--a drawer he had seen many times before, and pulled out two sets of chopsticks.

"Correction," said Bones. "I told you I wouldn't be alone ALL DAY."

Booth grew uncomfortable. He thought he had caught Brennan in a lie, but now he was wrong. "I, uh... what do you mean by ALL DAY?" he asked.

"Nothing. Nothing you'd want to know about." she answered.

"No, no. It's something I want to know about." He took a seat next to Brennan on the couch. Bones began collecting papers and piling them neatly on the coffee table. "Trust me."

Booth put his hand gently on Brennan's knee, "Maybe you should start trusting ME for a change. We're partners, remember?"

"Partners shouldn't share everything. Trust me." Brennan answered.

Last edited by ForensicMama on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:50 am

Chapter 6
________

"Trust me..." Brennan said as she sat beside her partner. "You don't want to know. Take my word for it." A smile grew on her lips as if she was hiding something.

Booth took a box of Thai food from the table and fished out a few noodles with his chop sticks. He took a bite. With food in his mouth, he replied, "Sure I do... we're partners. TELL ME."

Seriously, she replied, "If you MUST know..."

"I must."

"If you MUST know..." she paused. "I was at the gynecologist today."

The food that was in Booth's mouth rolled back out and into the little cardboard box in his hand. "Oh G*d..."

"What?" Brennan laughed.

"Please... no!" Booth begged.

"What? I am a woman. I have a vagina, cervix, uterus..."

"Look.... I'm sorry... I shouldn't have pushed you--"

"Women are recommended to have one pap smear each year to prevent cancers in the--"

"Lady Parts?"

"If that makes you feel better, I'll say Lady Parts. I took the day off because it makes me cramp all day."

"Oh COME ONNNNNNNNNNN!" Booth stood up. "I'm suddenly feeling very uncomfortable and... uh, foolish."

Brennan laughed and stood very closely to Booth. "You have man parts, right? Testicles, Penis--"

Booth promptly put the box back on the coffee table. "I've lost my appetite." Temperance laughed. "You said you weren't alone?"

"I never clarified any more than that. I haven't been alone all day, technically." she gestured to the television, "Besides, Holly has been keeping me company."

"I thought you didn't watch television?"

"Just old movies every once in a while."

"Is this what you do on your days off?"

"I guess... I don't have that many days off. I like my work."

Booth just looked thoughtfully at the woman in front of him for a while. "Come with me." He reached forward and grabbed Temperance's wrist. He was careful to 'accidentally' put one or two of his fingers into the palm of her hand.

"What are you up to?"

"You'll see."
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:51 am

Chapter 7
________

Temperance Brennan shivered and wrapped a scarf around her neck. "I've never been fond of cold weather."

"This isn't weather." Booth corrected.

"Same difference," Brennan smiled.

Booth leaned over and laced a skate, then laced the skate on his other foot.

"I don't think I'm going to be very good at this." Brennan warned. "I was never even able to skate on those four wheeled roller skates. I have no balance."

Booth looked at Brennan who sat beside him. "You should give it a shot. Besides, I'm here. I'll show you how to ice skate."

Brennan smiled down at her skates. "I... I don't know what I'm doing."

"I do." Booth knelt down at Brennan's feet and laced up her skates. He then stood up and held out his hand. Brennan reached out and held his hand. He pulled her to a stand.

"Come on..." he said and flashed his charm smile.

Brennan walked with an unsure gate towards the ice. Booth took a step onto the ice. Brennan held tight to his hand and wobbled.

"Don't be afraid," he said.

The pair skated slowly onto the ice. "I didn't know you could skate, Booth."

"Hock-eeeeeeeeeeeeeey." he smiled.

"Oh."

"What?"

"I don't know... I guess I always thought of ice skating with women in tight spandex sparkly leotards on."

"Figure skating? That's figure skating. This is hockey skating."

Booth let go of Brennan's hand and showed off his stuff. He skated in circles around her. Brennan wobbled and laughed as she watched Booth. "I don't know... I can't do that."

"Lots of practice, Bones." He smiled.
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:51 am

Chapter 8
________

Seeley skated up to Brennan, who hadn't moved at all, for fear of falling on her behind.

"I can't skate, Booth."

"Trust me?" he smiled. He knew she wouldn't be able to resist his charm smile.

"Fine."

Booth held out both of his hands. At first Brennan hesitated, but then held out her hands for Booth to hold. Where could she go wrong? She had gone spelunking in Western Chinese caves, she's sky dived over Brazil's capital city... this was simply learning a new skill. Despite justifying that, her heart beat loudly in her chest as Booth's hands held hers.

Seeley started skating backwards and led Brennan. Temperance laughed.

"What?" Booth asked.

"I'm just surprised."

Booth smiled, wanting her to explain.

"I haven't fallen on my butt yet! And..."

"And what?"

"I'm having a good time," Temperance smiled.

"Me, too." Booth smiled back.

Time stood still.

Last edited by ForensicMama on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:52 am

Chapter 9
________

Booth leaned in. Temperance looked up. She had decided to throw caution to the wind for once in her life. For once in her life, she decided to see what would happen if she made a mistake. A wonderful mistake. The consequences could wait for tomorrow.

Seeley's lips touched Temperance's and finally they kissed. A real kiss. Not a mistletoe kiss. Although there was passion in the mistletoe kiss, they easily wrote it off. Nobody could explain away this.

Seeley was still holding Temperance's hands. They were there on the ice. Alone. Nobody was there except Temperance and Seeley.

Temperance, for just a second, forgot where she was. Her skate slipped beneath her and she fell to the ice. Booth tumbled after her.

"Oh!" Booth moaned and flopped dramatically on the ice. "My butt!"

Temperance laughed. "Your butt? MY butt!"

The phone rang and Booth reached for his back pocket. His face scrunched.

"What?" Brennan asked.

"Screen's cracked."

Brennan just laughed.

The ring was irregular and squeaking. "Sounds like a cat dying." Booth said. He slid his razor phone open and answered, "Booth."

Brennan laughed. "A cat?"

"Hi Cam." Booth answered.

"Is that Dr. Brennan? I was under the impression that she was ill when she took the day off."

Booth shushed Brennan.

"What? Who is it?" Brennan asked laughingly.

Booth covered the receiver, "Cam!"

Brennan covered her mouth, "Ooops!"

"I, uh, I came over to cheer Bones up. What's up?"

"I think since Dr. Brennan is obviously feeling better, then you two should come here as soon as possible. I have something you two have got to see to believe."

Booth hung up.

"What?" Brennan could see that the news was not that great.

"There's another body."
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:52 am

Chapter 10
_________

Temperance Brennan marched towards the front doors of the Jeffersonian. "I shouldn't have taken the day off."

"Why?" Booth shouted after her.

"Look! Don't you see what I've done?"

"You've done nothing, Bones."

Bones stopped shortly before entering the building. Booth walked up to her. "You've done nothing." He assured her.

"If I hadn't taken the day off, then whoever this second victim is would still be alive. It's my fault."

Bones came into the lab. At least fifteen people were standing on the platform, leaning over two bodies.

Cam looked up and saw Booth and Brennan enter the room. She waved. Booth nodded in her direction.

Hodgins ran up with a huge grin on his face. "Tuna, anyone?"

"What?" Booth asked.

Brennan scrunched her nose, "Yuck. No thanks!" The whole of the Forensics Lab at the Jeffersonian reaked of fish.

"I don't think I'll eat fish for a year." Booth groaned.

Hodgins held up a tuna that had been hiding behind his back. "Thunnus obesus," Hodgins explained.

"Then go on a diet." Booth answered sarcastically, then patted Hodgins' shoulder and walked past him.

"Very funny. It's what this is called. It's tuna."

"Why are you telling me this? Do I care?"

"It's where the second body was found."

"In....a tuna?" Booth raised his eye brow.

"No... in a tuna processing plant. Twenty miles north of here."

Bones had already stepped onto the platform. She inspected the new body. "Similar build to the other victim. Also wear in the joints of the knees and ankles. Possibly... a runner? A dancer?"

"A dancer?" Booth laughed.

Bones looked up. "Men dance."

"Not real men."

"What do you call a real man?" she asked. "Someone with a gun and badge?" Bones smiled, trying to harass him.

"Someone who doesn't wear spandex."

"Like a football player?" Bones smiled.

"Oh... she's got you there!" Angela pointed out.

Booth looked annoyed. "Football players don't where spandex--"

"They wear spandex pants. What's more girly than spandex?"

"We have a lot of conversations about spandex. And they're pants. They're streamlined so it's easier for them to run. Spandex just happens to be the optimum material for that."

"Moving on..." Cam butted in.

Brennan lifted the hand. It was much fleshier than the other body. "There seems to be something scored into the hand. Some sort of writing with a sharp instrument such as a knife. Angela, could you take pictures of the hand and scan it into your computer? Also, could you scan the X-Rays of Victim A's hand into the computer for comparison."

Angela started working on what she was told.

Cam leaned close to Booth and Bones. "I hope I didn't disturb anything."

Booth knew what she was up to. "Yeah right." He thought.

"You didn't disturb anything." Bones replied. Her eyes never wavered from the body in front of her.
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:54 am

Chapter 11
________

Brennan and Angela were walking through the halls of the Jeffersonian. Brennan was talking about technical things. Angela wasn't listening. She was trying to figure out what was different about her friend. She seemed happier. At the same time... there was the mystery of the day off. She told everyone that she was taking the day off because she was sick. Then after Cam got off the phone with Booth, she spilled the beans about Bones laughing in the background.

"Something's up." Angela stated.

"I don't know what you mean, Ange." Brennan said.

"What did you do on your day off? You weren't sick. I know that much."

"It's private information."

Angela nodded... convinced at first, but later she realized she was not convinced. "No... that's not it."

"What do you mean?"

"You didn't have the day off because you were sick. You had the day off because you wanted to stay home and play house with Booth."

Brennan rolled her eyes. "Not quite, Ange. Listen, I need the reports for Victim A in the fish case. Have you compared markings on the hands, yet?"

"My computer's rendering as we speak. If you didn't play house, then did you play doctor?"

Temperance laughed. "No. I had a doctor's appointment."

"...with Booth?"

"With my OB/GYN."

"This is even kinkier than I thought..."

"Then I went home and watched movies."

"With Booth."

"Then Booth came over with Thai Food."

"So let me get this straight. You played doctor, then you brought in a few films and food?" Angela's imagination was moving faster than Brennan could get the words out. "Nasty!"

"Then Booth took me ice skating."

"Sounds like a nice date. Did you guys go home afterwards?"

"Ange!"

"I taught you well, Bren!"

Brennan just rolled her eyes. There was no arguing with Angela when she got this way.
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:55 am

Chapter 12
_________

"Bones! I've got a lead!" Booth yelled from across the Jeffersonian. He scanned his ID then hopped onto the platform.

Brennan looked up from her work. It was late in the evening and she was still working, as if she was punishing herself for not working all the day before. She was blinking hard and squinting.

"I called Cam and she said you were still here. It's 11:30. Aren't you tired?"

"No." She blinked hard and fast, trying to moisten her dry eyes.

"You can hardly keep your eyes open."

Bones looked up, "Aren't you glad I stayed late? You'd have to wait until morning to tell me what you've got."

"Not true. I'd probably just swing by your place."

Brennan smiled. "What do you have, Booth?"

Booth held up a file.

"What's that?"

"A file."

"Duh."

"Sixteen months ago a family was crabbing off the coast of Delaware and they found a lot more than just Blue Crab."

"That's the Maryland State Crustacean."

"Random," Booth said sarcastically. He was used to Bones throwing up random facts mid-conversation. "Very random. Listen, stay on track--"

"I am on track. My mind can process several levels of conversation, Booth."

Booth shrugged. "I get it, you're smart. Listen, they found the body of a guy by the name of Carl Diller."

"And...?"

"And in his right hand somebody had taken a knife and scored the number 3."

"When did I tell you about the hands?"

"I have ears, Bones. Plus Cam told me."

"Cam?"

"She is my friend, Bones. I've known her for years."

"I know. Just saying..."
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:18 am

Chapter 13
_________

Later...

Angela walked by as Booth and Bones were talking about the case. She gave Brennan a wicked smile.

Booth caught that smile and threw it right back at her with an evil glare. Angela just laughed.

"I compared the wounds on the hand of Victim B to the wounds on the skeleton... and what was left of the tissue... of Victim A. They don't match, exactly."

"Angela, I need you to be more specific. What do you mean by 'They don't match, exactly'?"

"Hodgins looked at the wounds. He compared particulates that were found in the bone of Victim A and the tissue of Victim B. He found some sort of metal and they both match."

"What was the metal?"

"I don't know... he rattled off some sort of scientific mumbo jumbo, but the jist of it was that they both came from a small pocket knife-- You know the kind with the red thingy and all of the gizmo gadgets..." Angela made a motion as if she were taking out of all of the "gadgets" from a utility knife.

"Like a Swiss Army knife?" Booth asked.

"Isn't that what I just said?"

"Not exactly, Angela." Brennan laughed.

Not listening, Angela continued, "I love Hodgins, but he doesn't make sense to me half the time. I'm used to dating stupid guys." Angela smiled deviously, "You know the type, don't you, Booth?"

"Hey! I've dated smart women before. In fact I usually date lawyers."

"Yeah... BLONDES." Angela jested.

"Hair color has nothing to do with intelligence," Booth seethed.

"Yeah... right... just like breast size has nothing to do with it, either."

"Breast size doesn't--" Booth realized who he was talking to. "Just... never mind!"

Brennan had been listening the whole time. "Angela makes a valid point."

"What?" Booth was surprised.

"She makes a point. When have you ever dated somebody who was not a blond? And I can't recall a time when you've dated a woman with a higher IQ than you, either."

"Oops, she has you there." Angela loved spurring them on like this. It was a hobby, really. Not the kind of hobby that you can put on a shelf and show to your friends... more, the kind of hobby that, if done right, could mean hours upon hours of entertainment. "Where was Jack when you needed him most? He'd love this!" She thought.

"For your information, Bones, I like brunettes. In fact, I PREFER brunettes."

"Since when? I've never seen you dating brunettes." Bones blurted.

"I have a life, Bones. A PRIVATE life. You just can't stand it that you haven't been a part of it."

"What? I'm a part of it."

"My WORK life. Not my private life, Bones."

"You tell me about your private life."

"No I don't. That's why it's called a private life. It's private. PRIVATE which comes from the Latin meaning--I don't know--None of your business."

"That's not how "private" breaks down. Why do you like making up definitions? You know it drives me crazy. You like it. You like seeing me mad."

"Yup."

"You're impossible!"

"So are you."

"Aaaaack!"

"See if I take you skating again..."

"Guys, guys!" Angela broke in. "Do you want to be alone?"

"YES!"
"YES!"

They both agreed on one thing, at least.

Cam rounded the corner at about that moment. "I can hear you two across the lab. What's going on?"

Angela leaned in, "I'm not sure..."

Cam laughed, "Somebody hand me some popcorn and a soda. This could be good."

Hodgins heard the commotion as well and found the show. Booth and Bones were at each other's necks and Angela and Cam were taking bets.

"What's up, ladies?" he asked Angela and Cam as Booth and Bones bickered in the background.

"My money's on Bren. She's got a fiery-mean temper." Angela wagered.

"Mine's on Booth. He looks like a teddy bear, but he can be a real hard a$$ when he's mad." Cam reached into her pocket and pulled out a bag of M&Ms.

"Where'd you get those?" Hodgins asked.

"Consessions. Shh! I'm trying to listen."

Hodgins pulled up a seat. "Front row center, baby!"

"What about you? I've noticed you have a 'Type.'" Booth retorted.

"Of course I do. I'm a human being. I know what I look for in a mate."

"Well, obviously so do I."

"I thought you said you liked brunettes." Brennan pointed out.

"I do."

"But you date blondes."

"So? I changed my mind. Now I like brunettes." Booth said.

"What's going on here?" Hodgins whispered to Cam and Ange.

"I'm not sure... but I think Bren's annoyed that Booth likes blondes." Angela answered.

"She jealous?"

"Green eyed monster, babe."

"I think I missed something," Cam broke in, whispering so as to not disturb the entertainment. "Do they have something going on?"

"I think we all did. Give me one of those M&Ms." Hodgins reached into Cam's bag and grabbed a few candies.

"What about me? I'm a brunette." Temperance had come to the heart of the matter.

"And I like that."

"But I'm not a blonde."

"I couldn't see you as a blonde. I like you better as a brunette. It makes your eyes seem brighter."

"Really?"

"Yeah... Really... pretty."

Temperance smiled. "Thanks."

Cam leaned in and whispered to Hodgins and Ange, "So is this the part where they kiss?"

"You're welcome." Booth replied to Temperance. He put his hands in his pockets nervously. "Sorry for..."

"Yeah. I'm sorry, too. I guess I just..."

"Me, too."

"Do you have any more M&Ms?" Angela asked Cam.

"So... lunch?" Booth asked Bones.

"Sure. The diner?"

"Yeah." Booth replied.

"You all ate them!" Cam hissed.

Bones and Booth followed the voices. They realized they weren't alone.

Booth took charge of the situation before Bones could feel any embarrassment, "Hope you all enjoyed the show!" Then he turned to Bones, "Shall we?"

They walked together out the door.

Hodgins stood up and started clapping boisterously, "ENCORE! ENCORE!"

Cam and Angela stood up, following his lead, and whistled and cheered. "ENCORE!"
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:18 am

Chapter 14
_________

Bones was sitting at her computer, inputting all of the information from The Fish Case, as it had come to be known. Another late night had come and she was alone at the Jeffersonian. Cam had just walked out and turned down most of the lights on her way out.

Booth knew just where to find his partner. "Bones?"

Temperance looked up to see Booth's familiar face. "Hey, Booth. How'd you know I'd be here?"

Booth walked in and smiled at her. "I know you, Bones. I know there's nowhere else in the world you'd rather be at 12:30 in the morning."

"Is it that late already?"

"Yup."

"Why aren't you in bed?"

"Couldn't sleep."

"Me, neither." Temperance sighed and leaned back in her chair.

"Any new news on the Fish Case?"

"Victim A has the number 2 scored in his right palm. Victim B has has the number 5 scored into his right hand. It appears that the killer is numbering his victims as the numbers also correspond with the time of death of each of the victims."

"Then there are probably other bodies out there."

"Most likely."

"The other day when you said it was your fault..."

Temperance smiled thoughtfully, "I know..."

"You take things too hard sometimes, Bones."

"I try to compartmentalize, but sometimes it fails me."

"No, Bones. You're human. We all do that at times." Booth reached into his pocket and pulled out a note pad. He looked at it, then looked at Bones. "I think I know where to go next."

"Where?"

"The detective who was in charge of the Carl Diller Case is here in D.C. and working as a police officer. I was thinking we could talk to him."

"That's a logical thing to do." Temperance's thoughts seemed to be somewhere else during the whole of their conversation. She was wondering why Booth hadn't mentioned their kiss on the ice in the past three days. Perhaps he was afraid or didn't feel anything? The most logical reason, though, was that he thought it was a mistake and remembered the events after Epps poisoned Cam. Perhaps he cares for her so much that he doesn't want her to be hurt. Partnership was probably the closest they would ever get in their relationship. It was frustrating to her. But she cared for Seeley Booth and didn't want to push him.

"I'll see you tomorrow at ten. We'll go talk to the detective and then grab some lunch."

"OK. Goodnight, Booth."

Booth started walking to the door, then turned around. "I'll wait for you... walk you to your car."

Bones smiled. "Let me grab my things."
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:19 am

Chapter 15
_________

Bones and Booth walked into D.C.P.D. Booth noted how Bones was more quiet and thoughtful all day. Perhaps it was because he hadn't said anything about their kiss. He thought, "I knew I shouldn't have kissed her. How could I resist, though? She let me..." Looking sideways, he noted how Temperance's blue shirt made her eyes sparkle. That was his favorite part. Her eyes could see through him, make him feel weak in a way that no other woman could, make his heart skip a beat during those moments they shared so often. It was so complicated. That's why they never did anything about it. "It's probably best that I just let it go. G*d knows, I don't want to push her."

They easily found the Police Chief's office. Booth knocked confidently at the door, then entered. A woman sat at at receptionists desk inside the door, "Can I help you?"

Booth showed the woman his badge. "Agent Seeley Booth, FBI. I'm here to talk to Chief Landon Hayes."

The woman picked up a phone on the desk, "Sir, the FBI is here to see you.... Ok.... Ok.... Yes, sir." She hung up and looked at Brennan and Booth. "You may go in."

The couple went through a door to the right. Sitting at a desk, a handsome young man sat at a desk. He had hazel eyes and dark hair. He looked up and smiled. He stood up for his guests.

Booth spoke first. "Agent Seeley Booth, FBI. This is my partner, Dr. Temperance Brennan."

"Nice to meet you both. You can both call me Landon." He saw Booth's uncomfortable look, then said, "Or Chief Hayes if you're more comfortable."

Booth shook his hand and sat down across the desk from the Chief.

"As I said on the phone, we found two bodies that fit the M.O. of a case you were working on about sixteen months ago. The victim's name was Carl Diller." Booth handed a packet of papers to the chief.

The chief's eyes scanned the paperwork and his friendly smile disappeared. He looked worried. "I'm very sorry to see this."

"And why is that?" Booth asked. Bones nudged him.

"I worked on this case for over a year until I finally retired it into the Unsolved Cases files."

"A year is hardly enough time--" Bones began.

"There were no leads. Not one. Nobody cared. I was a young officer working the case practically by myself. It seemed like every turn I took, there was somebody bigger than me to throw a brick building in my path. I'm very sorry to see that there are more victims." He sighed a defeated sigh.

Bones had been surveying the young man in front of him. He wasn't the usual police chief. He was young and handsome... very different from the usual man of forty-five or fifty who was in his position. "May I ask how old you are?"

"Bones!" Booth snapped.

"No, no. It's a sound question."

"See? You should trust me, Booth."

"Thirty-eight," he replied. He sat back in his chair and thought quietly for a moment. "Unfortunately," the young chief began, "I gained my post in the worst way possible. I wish it had been under different circumstances." He appeared very upset. His eyes watered as he continued, "Several of my colleagues died... There was a case we were all working on. A drug war of sorts. Unfortunately, many people died in a span of several months. Many were never found." There was silence for a minute or two before either Booth or Bones dared to speak.

"We came to ask about the Carl Diller case. If there is any information you could share with me or my partner, we'd be thankful."

"Sure." The chief stood up. "I could get those for you right now if you would like."

Booth and Bones followed the young chief to a part of the building where they stored case files and evidence lockers. He handed Booth a large box of evidence and piled the files on top. "Listen," he said. "I'd like to help out on this case in any way I can. I've got experience with this case. I think I could be an asset."

Booth nodded. "I'm sure that won't be a problem, Cheif Hayes."
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:20 am

Chapter 16
________

Cam walked into Temperance's office. Bones was sitting alone at her desk, bent over paperwork and photographs.

"Angela finished reconstruction of Victims A and B. She's running them through the NCIC Database."

"I wish we could do dentals," Temperance thought aloud as she finished writing a note on a paper. The teeth from all four victims had been pulled or knocked out, so that was out of the question for identification. The only reason Carl Diller's body was identified was the fact that he was a young police trainee. According to the police file, his facial reconstruction was immediately identified by Chief Hayes. DNA comparisons confirmed that fact.

Cam walked over and sat on the edge of Temperance's desk. She had something to say, Brennan could sense that, but she continued to act like she was unaware. "I, uh..." It wasn't exactly a professional conversation to have with an employee, but her curiosity was killing her.

Temperance looked up, "What?"

"There's... there's something I wanted to ask you. I just don't know how to ask."

"Just ask, Cam."

"OK... here goes. Have you and Seeley... Have you... You know?"

Temperance smiled. She knew what she was asking, "Have we what?"

"Dr. Brennan, I'm horrible at this girl talk thing. Most of my friends are men."

"I know what you mean."

"I'll just ask. Have you and Seeley slept together?"

Temperance was blown away by her straightforwardness. "WHAT? No! No, we haven't."

"Well, I just thought..."

"You thought wrong, Cam."

"Sorry." Cam stood up and walked slowly to the door. Turning, she asked, "Have you kissed?"

"No..."

Cam smiled widely, "Yes, you have!" Cam walked back over and sat on the edge of Temperance's desk. "Tongue?"

"Look... I don't want--"

"There was tongue. I knew it." Cam laughed.

Where was she??? Temperance thought. Backwards world? Since when did Cam want to talk girl talk with her? And about sex with her ex boyfriend of all things. Temperance tried to hide a smile, "It was not a good idea, really."

"Why?"

"You know how Booth feels about dating coworkers."

Cam thought about how her relationship with Booth ended the last time. "True..."

"He hasn't mentioned it since. I think he's probably doing the right thing. We should just move on. It was a mistake."

"Mistakes are part of life, Temperance." It was the first time Brennan had heard Cam say her first name. She smiled. Wasn't Booth always trying to talk her into being more social? Maybe Cam was a friend who lay beneath her nose the whole time. At first she snubbed Cam out of jealousy... she'd never admit it was jealousy, though... but now? Now there was nothing to keep her from liking Cam.

"Thanks, Cam, but I think this is something that Booth and I have agreed on, even if our agreement is going unspoken." Temperance was trying hard to convince herself... "Maybe it's time that I move on, too?" She thought.

Last edited by ForensicMama on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:20 am

Chapter 17
________

Temperance Brennan stood nervously in front of the Jeffersonian's front steps. She was waiting for her partner, Seeley Booth, to come and pick her up so they could talk to Chief Hayes again. She had been waiting for over twenty minutes. When the twenty-fifth minute rolled around, she sat down on the steps. "BOOOOOTH!" She raged. "Why isn't he here? That's why we have cell phones!" She felt for her cell phone. Perhaps she turned her cell phone off by accident. Maybe the battery was dead? She pulled it out and looked at it. It was on, the battery was charged. She rolled her eyes and sighed. Finally the phone rang and she flipped it open.

"BOOTH!"

"What?"

"Where the he11 are you?!"

"Look, Bones, I'm sorry. I'm at the hospital with Parker."

"Oh no! Is he OK?"

"Yeah. He fell off the monkey bars at school. Here in a few minutes he's going to get a cool cast, huh, Buddy?"

"I want green!" she could hear Parker say. "Can Bones sign my cast?"

"Sure! Listen, Bones... I can't make it. Can you go to the D.C.P.D. without me? I don't think I'm going to make it."

"Fine." She tried to hide the disappointment in her voice. She hated doing things without Booth. It just didn't feel right.

"Sorry, Bones. I couldn't help it this time."

"I know. It's OK." She hung up the phone and walked slowly to her car...
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:21 am

Chapter 18
_________

By the time Temperance made it to the police department, Chief Hayes had already left for home. The kind receptionist jotted down quick directions to his place. "He said he'd be waiting for you and your partner."

Bones took the piece of paper. She hated trying to find unfamiliar places in D.C. Traffic was always a nightmare, especially at 5:00 in the afternoon. Everyone and their mom were heading home.

An hour later, Bones made it to a large house at the end of secluded drive.... as secluded as it can be in Washington D.C., anyway. Chief Hayes met Temperance at the door.

"Come in."

Bones came in.

"I'm making dinner. You're welcome to have some if you like. Spaghetti Puttanesca."

Still very nervous and standoffish, Bones let the young Chief take her jacket. She sat at the table and looked around her, surveyed the room. The whole house was very large and well decorated. Photos of family hung on the walls. The largest photo of all was that of a little boy, about three or four, hugging a teddy bear. His large brown eyes and long lashes seemed to be the focal point of the whole photo. Temperance smiled. This could be the ice breaker, "Chief Hayes, uh...who is he? He's adorable."

"Thanks," he handed Temperance a plate of pasta. "He's my nephew. You can call me Landon, by the way."

"Landon."

"Would you like something to drink?"

"Water, please."

"Just water?"

She nodded and he left the room. "What am I supposed to be doing here, anyway?" She asked herself. "I can't do anything without Booth here. I suppose that Booth would just tell me to be an anthropologist and enjoy the atmosphere... see the sights..."

Landon came back with a glass of water and a glass of wine for himself. He sat down. Temperance reached for her fork, then trying to make small talk in the only way she knew how, she said, "The lacerations on the right hands of the dermis and metacarpals of Victims A, B, and C were found to have the same steel particulates embedded in the wounds..."

Landon just smiled, "I don't know what you just said, but it sounded really smart."

Temperance smiled. She was used to that reaction when she wasn't among her peers. Even Booth gave her a hard time most days. She laughed, "I'm sorry... I guess I'm a little nervous. I expected Booth to come with me..."

"Where is Agent Booth?"

"His son broke his arm at school today. He's at the hospital right now."

"Sorry to hear that." He thought for a moment. "So does that mean that Agent Booth is married? So you two aren't...?"

"No, no. No to both questions. He's not married and we're not..."

Landon smiled and nodded. "I'm glad to hear that." They smiled at one another. "So how's the spaghetti?"

"Delicious." Temperance hated spaghetti. Too much sauce no matter how you fixed it. She thought to herself, "Booth knows that. Well, Booth isn't here. Forget about Booth, try to enjoy yourself!" Besides, with the company in front of her... a young Police Chief with beautiful hazel eyes who just happens to be a fabulous cook... "I'll just enjoy myself."
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:21 am

Chapter 19
________

Temperance had only picked at her plate. Landon had already finished his spaghetti. "Not hungry?" he asked.

"No, I'm not. Sorry." She blushed. "Why did I blush?"

"Don't worry about it. I'm sure you didn't keep your fantastic figure by gobbling down spaghetti every night." He laughed. Temperance's cheek felt warmer. She pressed a cold hand to her cheeks.

Landon left with their plates for the kitchen. He returned and invited her to the living room.

They sat down together and Landon asked, "So... Do you have any questions about the case?"

"No... I'm not sure why I'm here, exactly. Booth was supposed to come. He's the heart."

"The... heart?"

"Yeah." Why were her cheeks so hot? "It's, um... it's nothing. He just asks the questions, usually. He reads people. I read bones."

"Bones?"

"I'm a forensic anthropologist. I work at the Jeffersonian in conjunction with the FBI to solve cases. I specialize in solving crimes that have gone cold... or that are otherwise unsolvable," she rambled on about her job description. "Why am I rambling? I must sound like a fool!"

Landon just listened quietly and intently. When she had finished, he asked, "Would you like a glass of wine?"

"Yes, please!" She laughed. Landon had sensed her anxiety. Maybe he was right and a glass of wine would help her to feel a little more at ease. When Landon walked away, Temperance fought to keep her eyes from watching his rear end, his muscular figure...

Landon walked back with a glass of wine in his left hand.

Temperance stood up. "I've got to go."

"So soon?"

"Yeah. I forgot I had to scan the stills of Victim C into the computer for comparison against the other two bodies. I shouldn't have stayed so long."

Landon sat the glass of wine on the coffee table. He walked up to Temperance. He was taller than she was. He made her feel small and... feminine in a way. "Maybe I could see you sometime? Some time when we're not talking about the case?"

Brennan was going to say no, but a smile sprung to her lips. She knew she would look ridiculous saying no with a huge smile on her face. "OK."

"Maybe Friday night? I know a great Thai place on K Street."

Temperance's mind raced... "Thai food? That was Booth's thing. Don't be ridiculous!" For some reason, eating Thai food with anybody but Booth seemed like cheating. She shook her head, trying to ignore those thoughts.

"No?"

She laughed, "Yes! I'm sorry. I was just thinking about-- Yes. I'd love go to dinner with you. Friday."

"I'm glad." Landon smiled.

"What am I doing? What will Booth think? He doesn't have to know. I just won't tell him," she thought. Smiling, she left the house with many more things on her mind than when she entered.
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:22 am

Chapter 20
_________

Angela, Cam, and Brennan stood around the Angelator. Hodgins was off doing bug stuff with bugs in another part of the lab. Booth walked into the little room and saw a glittering Three Dimensional skull circling in the air.

"Which one's this?" he asked Bones.

"This is Victim A, the one we found in the trawler, in the Fish Case."

Angela clicked away on her wireless pad. "I input the information into the computer as well as the depth markers that you did, Bren." A face appeared over the skull. The man's face had a straight nose, large brown eyes, a strong chin, and a high forehead. "And this is Victim B, the one we found at the Tuna Plant." A new skull glittered on the screen. "And you're not going to like this..." Angela looked at Booth.

"Why? Why am I not going to like this?"

"Just wait. I input the tissue markers that Bren did and--" she clicked away and flesh appeared on the head. The man had a large nose, round chin, deep set eyes, large ears, large lips, and a high forehead.

"Oh my G*d..." Booth gasped.

"What? Who is it?" Booth didn't reply to Bones. "Do you recognize this face, Booth?"

"That's Jackson Long. He's the old D.C. police chief. He disappeared last December after a drug bust went wrong."

"Wasn't Victim C, Carl Diller, a police officer?" Bones asked.

"Yeah. I think these cases are more connected than we thought. I need those case files from Chief Hayes, Bones."

"Sure."

"Have you gone through the evidence for the Diller Case?"

"With a fine toothed brush."

Booth didn't correct Bones. He was thinking and in a different world. He turned around and jogged out of the room.

"Boy, nothing stops Seeley Booth when he catches a scent!" Cam laughed.

"I thought he wouldn't like that." Angela said.

"Did you recognize him?" Bones asked.

"Yeah, don't you?"

Temperance shook her head.

"Before Sgt. Long disappeared, Bren, he was trying to get into the FBI. Booth knew him. We all met him once. I thought you'd recognize him, too."

Temperance was still for a moment, then she ran out after Booth.

Booth was in the parking lot and had just jumped into the S.U.V. when Temperance stopped him. She had run across the lot and was breathing heavily.

"Where are you going, Booth?"

Booth was obviously very upset. "I'm... I'm going to go tell Jackson Long's wife that we found her husband."

"I'm going with you." Temperance ran around and jumped inside.

"You don't have to--"

"I'm going, Booth. I'm going."
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:23 am

Chapter 21

Seeley Booth and Temperance Brennan arrived at the Long house.

A woman with red curly hair that was pulled away from her face with little clips came to the door. As soon as she saw Booth, she knew why he was there. She stumbled away from the door, "No, no, no!" Temperance walked through the door and tried to comfort Mrs. Long as she cried. She was crumpled on her knees. Booth could see a little girl peeking around the corner. Her eyes were full of tears as she watched her mother crying.

Booth walked up to the little girl. Brennan watched as he walked up to her. "Hi. My name's Seeley." He smiled and then hugged the little girl. Picking her up into his arms, he walked over to Temperance, who still comforted Mrs. Long as she cried helplessly on the ground.

"Why is mama crying?"

Mrs. Long finally picked herself up off the ground and took the little girl from Booth's arms. She hugged the girl. Reassuring her, she said, "Mama's just sad. Now run to your room. I'm OK." The little girl walked slowly to her bedroom and shut the door.

"This is about Jackson, isn't it?"

Booth nodded.

"I always felt like he wasn't alive. I don't know how to explain it... it just felt like a part of me was missing these last six months. Not just because Jack was gone, but because... I just can't explain it."

"Husbands and wives often share a bond--" Booth stopped Brennan with that look of his. "I'm very sorry, Mrs. Long."

Mrs. Long wiped her eyes and nose with a tissue. "Where did you find my husband?"

"We discovered the remains--" Temperance caught Seeley's eye and backtracked. "We believe his body was dumped in the Atlantic Ocean."

"Thank you." Mrs. Long crumpled over and began to sob.

"Is there anybody we can call for you?" Brennan asked.

Mrs. Long stood up and went into the other room. Booth and Bones could overhear her talking to her sister.

"Booth... I'm sorry. I didn't know you knew Captain Long."

"It's ok."

Mrs. Long came back into the family room. "My sister is coming over. You two can leave when you want. Thank you... just-- Thank you."
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:23 am

Chapter 22

Brennan and Booth were driving back to the Jeffersonian in the black SUV. It was quiet for a while. Brennan's eyes followed the roads outside the window. She thought about Landon... she thought about Booth...

"What are you thinking about?" Booth asked.

"N-Nothing."

"Did you want to swing by the Diner?" Booth asked.

"I can't. I have plans with Landon."

"The police chief guy?"

"Yeah."

"Bones... already? What if it's all just smoke and mirrors?"

"What? Landon doesn't smoke."

"Bones. It's a...It's a phrase. I'm just saying, it's kind of soon, right?"

"Landon is a nice guy. He seems genuine. He invited me out to dinner."

"He's a... how do you know he's nice? You've known him less than a week! Wait? When did you... How did he?"

Bones and Booth had been partners, close partners, long enough that she knew what he was asking, "The day that Parker broke his arm."

"Wait--I--" This was beginning to bother Booth. It seemed that every time he left Temperance Brennan with a man of law.... alone.... without him, she fell head over heels for him. "What the--!" He thought.

"This isn't bothering you, is it?"

"No."

"If you say so."

"I do say so."

Maybe she wanted him to be jealous... just a little bit. "He's taking me to a Thai restaurant on K Street."

Booth didn't respond. His eyebrows were furrowed and his lips pursed in a scowl. But Bones thought she could hear him mumble under his breath, "Thai? Thai's my thing."
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:24 am

Chapter 23

Friday night came around and Temperance could feel her heart in her throat the whole time. She wasn't nervous about the date, she was nervous about what Booth thought about the whole thing.

"Why am I thinking about Booth when I'm about to go out with Landon?" Temperance shrugged and leaned close to the mirror so she could put eyeliner and mascara on. She couldn't help but to look at her blue eyes and how the centers of her eyes were much lighter blue, surrounded by a dark navy blue ring. Her mind immediately moved to the argument in front of her office the day before and how Booth said about her eyes... what did he say? They were bright. A soft smile of remembrance fell on her lips.

Brennan walked to her closet. She had a lot of dresses now. She never really wore dresses that often until recent years. The yellow dress? Too bright, too cheery. The red dress? A little too Come to Mama. She finally settled on a long sleeved black dress. Who cared if she looked like a schoolmarm. A part of her didn't want this guy to get the wrong idea too quickly. She still didn't know what to think of him herself.

Temperance's cell phone rang. She walked to her dresser and picked it up. It was Booth... Of course it was Booth. She smiled. "Brennan. What do you want, Booth?"

"Just checking on you. Did Prince Charming show up, yet?"

"No. He isn't due for another twenty minutes."

"Hmm."

"What?"

"Just thought he would be a little early, that's all."

"I told him not to be here until eight."

"Hey, Bones, I wanted to ask you something."

"What now?"

"Wednesday I get dibs on you."

Bones laughed, "What? I'm not a possession! What do you mean, Booth?"

"Just trust me. Don't make plans for Wednesday night."

"OK." Bones was bewildered. Why would he care about Wednesday night so much?

"I've got a surprise for you." Bones could hear the smile on Booth's face.

"OK. Wednesday night, then."

"Good. I'll see you tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow." Booth hung up. For a split moment, Bones felt like calling him back.

The doorbell rang and Bones walked lightheartedly to the door. Landon Hayes was on the other side holding flowers.

"Hey," He leaned forward and kissed Brennan's.... well, he aimed for her lips, but got the cheek when she turned her head.

"Hi. Let me grab my jacket."
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:24 am

Chapter 24

When they finally reached K Street, Hayes pulled in front of the Thai Restaurant.

Something inside of her heart pulled her and burst out of her mouth, "I don't like Thai."

"What? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I--I don't know. Can we eat somewhere else?"

"Sure. That place," he pointed to an Italian restaurant next to the Thai place. "has great Italian."

Brennan smiled. She hated most Italian dishes, but for some reason, it seemed more appetizing than cheating on Booth with Thai food. "It's not rational." She whispered to herself. Her thoughts were just not making sense. Since when did she care so much what Booth thought about her love life? Arghhhhhhhh!

"Pardon?" Hayes asked.

"No, nothing."

Hayes hopped out of the vehicle and opened the door for Brennan. "You look nice today. Is it chilly out?" He surveyed her long sleeves.

"I, uh, I get chilly at night."

"Oh." He was satisfied with that explanation. Brennan couldn't help but to think to herself, "Would Booth be able to tell? STOP thinking about BOOTH!"

The hostess at Ernesto's immediately recognized Temperance, "Dr. Brennan! I love the Bred in the Bone. I stayed up for two nights straight trying to finish it!"

Landon was obviously confused, "The What?"

"Bred in the Bone. It's one of my, um.... novels."

Hayes laughed, "You write, too?"

"Yeah. Let's talk about something else tonight." Brennan took a seat at a little window-side table. She ordered water, he ordered a Chardonnay. Something in her kept her from ordering alcohol... as if she wanted to keep her whits about her.

"No wine?"

Bones shook her head, "No."

"Alright, but how else am I gonna to get you into the sack?"

WHAT? Did he just say that? She tried to fake a laugh. "I guess you'll have to be charming and genuine." She said it lightly with a smile on her face, but maybe it was a bit of a warning.

Brennan's cell rang again. She blushed. How did she forget to turn it off? It was Booth. She answered it, "Brennan. Hold on." She covered the receiver. Then she motioned that she was going to take the phone in the lobby. "Booth? Why are you calling me now?"

"Angela called me. She said that the other victim, Victim A, turned out to be a police officer, too. I bet it's an inside job."

"Why are you calling me now to tell me that? Couldn't it have waited?"

"No. Hey, how's the Thai Food?"

"We're at an Italian Restaurant."

The cell was quiet for a moment. Booth was smiling on the other end. "Why did he take you to the Italian Restaurant instead? You--"

"I told him I wasn't in the mood for Thai."

"But you're in the mood for Italian?" Bones could hear the disbelief in his voice already.

"Yes. I said I'd rather have Italian. Is that so hard to believe?"

"Yes, Bones. You don't like Italian. Too much sauce."

What? How did he know that? "H--How?"

"Daffodil." He didn't have to say any more than that. Brennan laughed.

"Fine, you win! I was thinking about ordering a salad."

"You'll be starving."

"I'll eat something when I get home."

"I'll swing by with some real food. Call me when your date is done." He hung up. Brennan couldn't help but to laugh. Why did this man know her so well? Better than anybody else, with the exception of Angela.

Bones put the cell back into her purse and walked back to her window seat with Landon.
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next