Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Perdition and Paradise, rated M, B/B angst-by Jremme

+10
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
smile0303
kruff1998
Cassiopeia
Temperance Rose
206bones2break
magicstar
ToZiKa
jremme
willgirl
14 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Perdition and Paradise, rated M, B/B angst-by Jremme - Page 4 Empty Re: Perdition and Paradise, rated M, B/B angst-by Jremme

Post by A2BOREANAZ Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:24 am

whooooooooooo hooooooooooooo........loving this
A2BOREANAZ
A2BOREANAZ
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 35708
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Perdition and Paradise, rated M, B/B angst-by Jremme - Page 4 Empty Re: Perdition and Paradise, rated M, B/B angst-by Jremme

Post by jremme Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:46 pm

Hello!! I apologize for getting behind in my posting yet again. Thanks to all who are R&Ring and sticking with this fic. I'm posting in two parts again. Please enjoy!! =)

Chapter 24: paradise

Brennan flopped her arm across the bed early the next morning only to hit empty space. Eyes still closed, her brow furrowed at the lack of a warm body. When she did crack an eye open it was only to discover that she was alone in the room. Hauling herself out of bed and throwing on a comfy robe, Brennan pushed the door open and went out into the hallway, smirking at the telltale glow from the television that illuminated the hallway.

Sure enough, Booth was sound asleep on the couch, feet propped up on the coffee table. Some sports match was playing out on the muted TV. Brennan shook her head and shut the power off. He just couldn’t resist the pull of the big screen. She seated herself on the couch next to him and lifted his arm, bringing it around her shoulders. Leaning her head against him she stared at their reflections in the screen, made visible by the early morning sunlight.

They looked so…normal. Granted, he was fast asleep, and she couldn’t be sure, but from what she could see in the screen, it looked like he was drooling a bit. Still, they looked happy, like a real couple. Happy and carefree. No Olivias and no fights and no sons in Alaska. Just two people in love cuddling on a couch in front of a gigantic TV. She sighed and snuggled deeper into him. If only all days could begin like this one. Brennan’s eyes slowly began to close and she felt herself drifting off.

The next time she awoke it was to kisses on her closed eyelids and cheeks, then the tip of her nose, and then her lips. Opening her eyes, she kissed him back.

“Enjoy your sleepover with the TV?” she teased once they’d pulled apart.

He kissed her again. “Immensely.”

“Anything you wanna tell me?”

Although his voice was serious, his eyes held that glimmer of mischief in them she loved so much. “Yea. Umm, there’s no easy way to say this Bones, but I’ve fallen hopelessly in love with the TV. I’m sorry, but that’s just the way it is. Thanks for bringing us together. It means a lot to me”

“Jerk.” She grabbed a pillow from the side of the couch and smacked him with it.

“Don’t start something you can’t finish Bones.” His hand reached for the pillow on the opposite side of the couch.

“Don’t even think about it,” she warned him.

“Oh, I’m thinkin’ about it.”

Thinking fast, Brennan grabbed his hand and placed it on her belly. Fortunately, their son seemed to be on her side, and obliged with a kick. The look of awe she never tired of crossed his face before he met her eyes. “That was a dirty trick Bones.”

She shrugged. “Pillow fights are immature. I was avoiding such a display. Baby seems to agree with me. He can hear you now. Talk to him.”

“And say what?”

“Anything. Yesterday I read him passages from my latest novel.”

“None of the dirty or violent parts I hope.”

“He doesn’t know the difference.”

“You did, didn’t you? Bones…”

“What?” Eager to leave that portion of the conversation behind, she continued prompting him. “Just say whatever comes to mind.”

“Should I get closer?”

“If you want to.”

He moved his head next to her belly and took a deep breath. “Hey baby. It’s your daddy. Umm…” he glanced at Brennan who made a gesture for him to keep going. “I just wanted to tell you that I love you and that I’ll always be there for you, no matter what happens. You’ve got a great mom who’ll teach you things like how to be strong and to never back down. I’ll keep you safe and try to teach you how to be the best man you can be. You also have a big brother. He’ll teach you how to have fun, to be a kid. Once you’re here, our family will be complete.” He placed a kiss on the spot where he’d felt the kick and looked up at Brennan, his eyes glassy.

“How was that Bones?”

“It was…good.” Her own eyes were glassy as well, but she could blame it on the hormones. She’d be lying to herself, but she could still do it.

He raised his head and she lowered hers, meeting him halfway for a kiss that was over much too soon as there came a knock on the door. Brennan frowned against his mouth as she snuck a glance at the clock. It was only eight. The others weren’t due to arrive for two more hours.

“I’ll get it, you stay there.” Booth got up and trudged to the door. Upon opening it, his eyes narrowed ever so slightly at the person on the other side.

“Sully…you’re early. And you brought…donuts.” He stepped aside to allow the other man in. Brennan’s face had perked up at the mention of the sweet breakfast food.

“Donuts?!” She peered at them, eyes focusing on the box in Booth’s hands as he removed it from Sully’s grasp.

“Knock yourself out babe,” he said, smiling at her as he placed the box on the couch next to her. Brennan pounced on it, suddenly starving. Then, realizing what he’d called her, she frowned, and gave him an odd look.

“Bones?” he didn’t know what to make of that look. Sort of a mix of indignation and satisfaction.

She motioned him down and whispered in his ear, so Sully wouldn’t overhear. “You’ve never called me that before.”

“You don’t like it?”

“Actually, I do, but I question your motives.”

“Huh?”

“Are you calling me that because Sully’s here and you feel the need to reinforce the fact that we’re in a relationship and illustrate to Sully that you have some sort of medieval claim on me?”

“What? No, I was just…calling you ‘babe’.”

“Oh. Well, that’s ok then…babe.” She smirked and took a bite of a powdered sugar donut and before she could lick the excess sugar from her lips, he did it for her, his tongue sweeping the length of her first her lower lip, then her upper.

“We have company,” she reminded him gently.

Booth wanted to tell her that Sully could watch for all he cared, but thought that might be a bad idea. So, he straightened up and glanced over at Sully, who was admiring the titles on Brennan’s bookshelf.

“So, Sully, what was the best thing about the open sea?” Booth asked, trying to include Sully in their own little world, if only until the others arrived and they could get to work.

Three donuts and an hour and half later, Brennan decided that she had the best family in the world. Everyone had brought a snack to share and they were making small talk before moving her office around. Booth was telling Hodgins and Sully about his TV, Zach was munching on a glazed donut, and the three women were discussing what was going to go where. Brennan had decided already, but Angela and Cam had some really good ideas and the three soon found themselves in the office (soon to be office/nursery).

“I think the crib should go over there,” Angela said, pointing to where Brennan’s desk now sat. “That way we can put the rocking chair next to it by the window. It is well insulated though, isn’t it?”

“Oh, yes, it is.” Brennan nodded.

Cam put in her two cents. “I agree with Angela. That way, the dresser and changing table can go on the other side, with room left over for your desk. We’ll just have to move the file cabinets and the bookshelf. It’ll be a bit cramped, but the desk is the only thing you really need for your office right?”

“It’s the most important yes. I can put the books and shelf into storage for the time being. The file cabinets I do need though.” She thought for a moment. Angela and Cam’s floor plan was better, but there had to be someplace for her cabinets. “Oh! I know. We can move the file cabinets into the bedroom. There’s some space in the corner next to the closet. I just won’t be able to open the door all the way. Not a big deal.”

Having decided, they boxed up Brennan’s books, and then trooped into the living room, where the box of donuts stood empty, and the men, save Zach, were engrossed in a football game.

“Ok guys, time to get to the heavy lifting,” Angela said, ignoring the groans of protest when she shut the TV off. “Honestly, grown men watching other grown men chase a toy around a field and tumble all over each other in tight pants is a bit disturbing.”

She herded them all into Brennan’s office and returned to the living room to wait for the delivery.

“I need the bookshelf and the boxes of books moved out to the truck Hodgins brought. Those go into storage.”

“I can just store ‘em at my place for you,” Hodgins offered. “I got plenty of room.”

“That would be great, thank you.” Brennan smiled.

Zach picked up a box of books, as did Booth and Cam while Sully and Hodgins lifted the bookshelf between them, carrying it out into the living room where Angela was waiting with the front door open. Angela and Cam followed.

“Geez Bones!”

“What?”

“These are heavy!”

“Of course they are, they’re books, most of them hardcover. And you don’t hear Zach complaining.” She gestured to the smaller man who was hefting a box equal in size to Booth’s.

“Mine must have more books,” Booth argued.

“I’m deceptively strong Agent Booth. I could most likely carry yours if mine is indeed lighter and you’d like to switch.”

Booth glared and Brennan quirked a brow up in amusement.

“I could carry yours and mine brainiac; easily. In fact, put it down. I’ll prove it.”

“Agent Booth, I really don’t think…”

Booth interrupted him. “Down. Now.”

Zach placed the box down and backed away.

Brennan had to intervene at this point. “Booth, I agree with Zach. You really shouldn’t…”
jremme
jremme

Number of posts : 23
Say What You Want : Be kind, rewind
Registration date : 2008-06-15

http://www.myspace.com/jremme

Back to top Go down

Post by jremme Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:46 pm

When Sully, Hodgins, Cam, and Angela came back in, they were greeted by the sight of Booth on the couch with a heating pad on his back, glowering.

Cam was about to inquire, but he cut her off before she could begin. “Don’t say anything. Just don’t.”

Silently they all filed back to the office, where Zach was waiting with Brennan and the two remaining boxes. “Could you guys get those out too?” Brennan asked, understanding Zach’s reluctance to walk past Booth.

“He hurt his back?” Angela asked, concern etched on her face.

“It’s not bad. His pride, on the other hand, has been mortally wounded I think.”

Angela stifled her smile and accompanying giggle and turned to the file cabinets. “Ok you guys, these go in the bedroom and then the desk gets moved over there to that side.” As she spoke, a loud knock sounded from the living room. “That’ll be the furniture.” Louder she called out, “Don’t get up Booth. I’m coming out; I’ll get it!” She heard grumbling in reply and shared a knowing look with Brennan before heading to answer the door.

The rest of the morning faded into afternoon as the furniture was moved in, the cloud border put up, the mobile hung from the crib, and the little outfits placed into drawers.

“Now all that’s missing is my nephew!” Angela exclaimed.

“Do you think we should have painted?” Brennan wondered aloud.

“Nah, white always works. And after he’s born and you pick a name, you can get those wooden letters made to hang on the wall.” Angela beamed. She was so excited. Somehow, creating the nursery just made it all seem even more real.

“Booth, you shouldn’t be up yet. Go back and rest,” Brennan scolded as Booth appeared in the doorway to the room.

“I’m fine Bones.” He looked around. “Wow. There’s actually gonna be a baby in here, isn’t there?”

Brennan stepped over to him and put her arms around him. “Yep. Our baby.” They shared a kiss and everyone ‘awwed’.

Embarrassed, they broke apart. Sully, a bit uncomfortable at the display of affection between his ex and his friend, cleared his throat. “I’d better take off. My flight leaves in a few hours and I still have to pack.”

Everyone said their good-byes and Brennan walked Sully to the door. “Have a safe flight,” she said, giving him a quick chaste kiss on the cheek.

“Thanks Tempe. I’ll write. I wanna know when that baby’s born, ok?”

“Of course.”

“Have you thought of a name yet?”

“I have a middle name and a shortlist of first names.”

He nodded. “Let me know.” He took her hand and gave it a squeeze before turning his back and walking out of her life for the second time. As she watched him go, Brennan was again struck by how glad she was that she hadn’t left with him. Sure, she never would’ve had to deal with the aftermath of her lie to Booth, but that would be because there would be no baby, no late night lovemaking with Booth; none of that. She’d be heaving over the side of a boat in the middle of the ocean instead. She closed the door, silently wishing the best for Sully before gently pushing him to the recesses of her mind.

The remainder of the afternoon was spent eating snacks and watching television. Angela wanted to watch E!, Cam wanted Lifetime, and Hodgins and Booth wanted ESPN. Brennan, however, insisted on watching something informative, tuning it to the Discovery Channel. She and Zach watched a program about native Australian peoples while Booth yawned and Cam, Angela, and Hodgins ate and tried to look interested in the mother-to-be’s chosen program.

When the others had taken their leave, Brennan continued to lounge on the couch while Booth puttered around, cleaning up.

“You really should rest Booth,” she said.

“I’ve said it already Bones, I’m fine. Honestly. Besides, someone has to clean up. Your people are slobs.”

“They’re your people too,” came the lazy reply.

“I know.”

Changing the subject, she said, “I was thinking about visiting my father. What do you think?”

He looked at her, surprised. “You haven’t yet?”

“No. But I should, right?”

“Yea, you should. It’s his grandson. He should know.”

“I know that. I do. I just keep putting it off. And I’ll most likely continue putting it off.”

He raised an eyebrow at her in response.

“But I will visit him and tell him…eventually.”

“I don’t think you’ll have to tell him. It’s pretty obvious,” he told her with a grin.

“It wasn’t to Sully. He assumed I’d gained weight.”

“Well, Sully’s…anyway, visit your dad on your own time, just make sure it happens.”

“Is that an order? Because I believe you know better than that.”

“It’s more like a suggestion.”

“I see.”

He sat by her and stared at the screen, still tuned to Discovery. He let out another yawn.

“Are you tired?”

“Not really. Oddly, mountain formations in South America just isn’t riveting television in my opinion.”

“You can go to bed. I don’t want to force you to stay here against your will.” She placed her palm on his chest and gave him a little shove.

“I don’t wanna go to bed without you,” he said, a playful whine in his voice and a pout on his mouth. His words and tone made her heart melt and she stretched her arms above her head, and let out a yawn of her own.

“Come to think of it, I am a little tired. And eager to be in a nice warm bed.” She shut the TV off and headed to the bathroom to brush her teeth while Booth called Parker to fill him in on what was going on.

After they were snuggled in bed together, Brennan commented, “This was a good day.”

“Yes it was. I want hundreds more like it…minus Sully.”

She kissed his throat and jaw before moving her lips to his mouth. “You did good with Sully today. I’m proud of you.”

“Do I get a gold star for the day?”

“Two gold stars, and one of those smiley faces.” She burrowed further into his warm embrace. “Our baby is very lucky to have a man like you for a father.”

“Not as lucky as he is to have you for a mother.”

“We’ll see how I do as a mother.”

“You’ll be great; a natural. You’ll see. Believe me, you’ll surprise yourself.” He kissed the top of her head.

“Did you have doubts about your ability to be a good father to Parker?”

He paused, letting her question sink in before answering. “Yes. I was scared to death that I’d do something wrong. I was afraid to hold him when he was born. He was just so small. I thought I’d crush him or drop him or something. Come to think of it, I’m still scared to death of doing the wrong thing with him.”

“Don’t say that. You’re a great father, and Parker is an intelligent, well behaved, happy little boy. And that’s partly because of you. I have no doubt that he’ll be an amazing person when he grows up, evidenced by the amazing child he is now.”

She felt him squeeze her gently. “I love you Temperance Brennan,” he whispered.

“I love you too Seeley Booth,” she whispered back, a soft smile on her face.
jremme
jremme

Back to top Go down

Post by jremme Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:43 am

Hello everyone! Here's an update. Love hearing from you; your replies make my day. I appreciate everyone who's sticking with this. Also, a reminder that I'm not following the show's timeline at all. Why? Because I can. =P Enjoy! =)

Chapter 25: perdition

Two weeks and one OB appointment later, Brennan decided to bite the bullet and pay her father a visit at the prison. She was being irrationally nervous, and she knew it. That morning, she had followed her usual morning routine, which now included serving as an eroticized alarm clock for Booth. She didn’t mind though, and he certainly didn’t.

“I’m going to visit my father today. Over my lunch break,” she announced shortly before they went their separate ways.

“Good for you,” he replied sincerely and kissed her cheek. “I’m sure he’ll be thrilled to see you. I gotta run. Olivia and I have hit a break in the case. Might even wrap it up today.”

Brennan hoped so. The last two weeks had included a lot of late nights at the office and out in the field for him and she could feel pangs of jealousy shoot through her at the thought that Olivia was with him and she wasn’t. She wrapped her arms around him as much as she could and looked into his eyes. “That would be nice. If you do, perhaps we can celebrate tonight.”

He leaned in and kissed her gently on the lips. “We can do that anyway,” he whispered in that seductive tone that made her knees feel weak. She hated that feeling and loved it at the same time. He pulled away from her and focused his attention on her bump, squatting down until he was face level with it. He’d been talking to their baby more and more, and it was heartwarming to see.

“Don’t give your mother too much trouble today, you hear me? And be sure to kick for your grandfather too. He’ll like that.” He kissed her belly and straightened up. “Have a good day, ok? And enjoy your visit. Love you.” With one final kiss, he headed out the door, Brennan following a few minutes later.

She was in her car and on her way to the Jeffersonian before she realized she’d forgotten to say ‘I love you’ before he’d left. She’d fallen into the habit of doing that. She knew he knew it, but as he’d once told her, he never got tired of hearing it. After he’d said that, she’d vowed to say it as often as she could. She’d tell him the second they were both home.

Late morning found Angela in Brennan’s office with a lunch invitation. “My treat. My nephew needs nourishment.”

Brennan snorted and took a bite of the granola bar she’d taken out of her desk minutes earlier. “Your nephew gets more than enough. I feel as though all I do is eat.” She paused, and decided to tell her friend about her lunch plans. “Honestly, I’d like to, but I can’t. I’m visiting my father, telling him about the baby.”

Angela gave her a little smile. “Nervous?”

“A little.”

“Perfectly normal. It’ll be all right,” she said matter-of-factly, imagining a long father-daughter hug and words of congratulations. Then reality came back. “You will eat though?”

“Of course. I have a salad in the break room that I brought with me.”

“Good.” She checked her watch. “It’s about time. You want a ride? I need to go out anyway.”

“Sure. You can drop me off and pick me up when you’re done.” The two women left together.

When they reached the prison, Brennan handed Angela her phone. “Here. Hang onto this for me please.” She didn’t want to be interrupted while visiting her father, but didn’t want to shut it off either. Angela took the phone, gave her a little hug for luck and headed downtown.

“Hey! Long time, no see,” Max Keenan was surprised to see his daughter. It had been awhile. He looked her up and down, his hands on her shoulders. His eyes paused at her belly. “Something you wanna tell me?”

He sounded calm, a bit too calm for Brennan’s liking. Suddenly she felt like a seventeen year old girl telling her father she’d become pregnant as the result of a one night stand in the back of a car or behind some school bleachers. “I’m going to have a baby.”

His eyes flashed, and Brennan backed away unconsciously. He held out a hand to her which she took. “I’m not mad at you sweetheart, but if I wasn’t in here, whoever did this to you would be in for a world of hurt…unless you wanted it to happen, that is.” He looked at her for clarification.

“Well, it wasn’t planned, if that’s what you mean. But, I do want him and I love his father.”

“And that would be who?” His eyes had calmed to match the rest of him and Brennan felt it was safe to proceed.

“You remember my partner Booth…” She paused and bit her bottom lip. Max’s face hardened for an instant, then softened again.

“And you love him?”

“I said I did.”

“Does he love you?”

“Yes.”

“Is he going to marry you?”

“No. I’m a grown woman you know. You don’t have to be like this.”

“You may be grown, but you’re still my daughter and you deserve the best.”

“I have the best. Believe me. I’m in a good place right now. Booth and I are living together, we love each other, and the baby’s on the way.”

“And he’s healthy, the baby?”

“He’s perfect. I brought pictures.” They sat down and Brennan showed him the ultrasound photos. She told him about her baby shower and about the nursery they’d set up two weeks ago. She left out the part about her lie and Booth’s living in Alaska. She didn’t trust her father’s reaction to those particular events.

The more she talked, the easier it got. He asked her questions about Booth, no doubt sizing up his ability to take care of her and their child. She reassured him that even if Booth weren’t in the picture, she could take care of herself and the baby just fine, but Max was in full fatherhood mode and wasn’t to be dissuaded. She noticed him looking at her belly and met his eyes questioningly.

“Can I?” He put his hand above her bump and waited for her response.

“Of course. Booth asked him this morning to kick for you.” Her father’s hand was laid gently on her stomach and they both waited.

“Aha! There it is!” Max crowed as he felt the movement. “That’s my grandson. Strong just like his grandpa.”

Brennan had to smile. Max’s face reminded her of Booth every time he felt the baby move, like he’d just been given the best present in the world. He lifted his hand from her and moved it to her face.

“My god, you look just your mother when she was pregnant with you.” He sighed, bombarded with memories, both good and bad. The atmosphere grew heavy, and Max changed the subject. “Are you sure he’s not gonna marry you, cause that would be…”

Brennan cut him off. “I’m sure. And don’t worry. We’re both happy, and I can’t think of a single reason to change what we have right now. Well, except for Parker coming home.”

“Who’s that?”

“Booth’s son. He moved with his mother to Alaska.”

“That’s a shame.”

“It is. He and his mother, Rebecca, are coming here when the baby’s born though, so he can see him, hold him.”

“Obviously he didn’t marry her either.”

Brennan tried to hold in the eye roll, but it happened anyway. “She didn’t want to marry him.”

“So he asked her? Why wouldn’t he ask you? He think she’s better than you? Cause if so, get him over here and I’ll set him straight.”

“That’s not it at all. He knows my thoughts on marriage. And Rebecca’s rejection hit him hard. He won’t want to put himself through that again. And besides, as I said, we have a good thing going. He knows better than to mess with that.” As she said the words, her thoughts were going in a different direction.

“Would it be so bad,” she thought, ”to be married to Booth?”

Maybe. And it would certainly be a risk on his part to even ask her. Was she worth that risk? She shook her head vigorously as if to shake the thoughts from her mind.

“You ok?” Her father’s hand was on her shoulder.

“Yes. Fine. I was just thinking.” She looked at the clock on the opposite wall of the room. “I need to leave soon.”

“Can’t you be late?”

She took in his pleading eyes. “I’ll visit again soon. Angela will be here to pick me up soon.” He held his arms out to her and after a moment’s hesitation, she leaned into his embrace.

“If you’re happy, I’m happy,” he whispered. “A healthy grandson on the way is more than I could ever hope for. And as a bonus, he’ll be the best looking kid around with you as his mother.”

Brennan felt another smile coming on. She was just breaking their hug when she heard Angela’s frantic voice down the hallway. “Temperance Brennan! Where is she?” The voice got closer, and then Angela was pounding on the door. Upon being admitted, she threw her arms around Brennan, ignoring Max. “Oh, god, sweetie, sit down!” She ushered Brennan to a chair and sank beside her, taking a deep breath.

“Ange?” Angela’s panic was beginning to seep through to Brennan, bringing with it a feeling of impending dread. “What is it?”

Silence. Her best friend just continued to look at her, taking several deep breaths, unsure how to proceed.

“Angela!”

The tone of her voice seemed to spur Angela into action. She met Brennan’s eyes and began. “I got a call on your phone while I was out. I wasn’t going to answer it, but when I saw who it was, I…I took the call.” She paused and Brennan resisted the urge to strangle her.

“And?!”

“It was the hospital. Booth…he got shot sweetie.” Her eyes filled with tears as she said it, and Brennan felt her own eyes follow suit.

“No,” she whispered it over and over. Her father’s hand reached for her but she shrugged him away. “Is he?” She couldn’t finish the sentence.

“He’s alive, but they wouldn’t tell me anything else.”

“Why are we still here?” Brennan asked, composing herself and standing up, trying to regulate her breathing and heart rate for the baby’s sake. She failed.

“Angela?” she said in the car between deep breaths. “I think something’s wrong. I’m feeling contractions.”

“Oh my god! We’re almost there.” Angela was in full on panic mode. She had been wary of telling Brennan because of the baby, but she couldn’t possibly have not told her.

“Why am I feeling contractions? It’s too early. I can’t have the baby now, I can’t. It’s too early!” Her breathing got even quicker. She told herself that she shouldn’t be reacting like this. She didn’t know the entire situation and it wasn’t healthy for the baby.

One half of her mind told her that she was an intelligent, rational adult who prided herself on the ability to compartmentalize and that the baby’s health was her priority. The other half told her that she was also an emotional first time mother-to-be who was scared of having her baby, especially this early, and also that she was a woman who was terrified of losing the man she loved.

“Bren, you have to calm down, ok? Take deep slow breaths for me. Close your eyes. Be calm.” Angela tried to make her voice match her order for calm. “Just do what I do.” She began to take deep even breaths, and Brennan tried to copy them. “Good. Keep doing that.” She made a left turn, hoping that the traffic was better on this road than the one they’d come from.
jremme
jremme

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:06 am

OMG!
What are you doing?
It's too early!
And Booth can't just get himself shot!
That's not how it is supposed to be!

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 37397
Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:48 pm

gah! the suspense is killing me!
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3762
Say What You Want : don't provoke the lunatic!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jremme Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:49 am

Hello! I know, I'm mean. It's been too long after a suspenseful end. I'm very sorry!! Italics are Booth’s dreams. Bold italics are Brennan’s memories. Enjoy!

Chapter 26: Booth’s head

He was in the kitchen, doing some little clean-up thing. When he turned he saw a blond in the living room, holding a small bundle. No, that wasn’t right. Bones wasn’t blond. Olivia was. Something was wrong. He was just about to get to the bottom of it when Brennan and Parker appeared from the hallway.

“Thanks for holding him while we got clean clothes from the nursery,” Brennan said. The blond turned, revealing Rebecca.

“No problem. I’ll hold him as much as you want me to.”

Brennan took the bundle from her and went to change him. As she headed back down the hallway, she noticed him hovering in the doorway to the living room.

“Are you ok?” she asked, stretching a bit to kiss him on the cheek. She turned to the bundle, whose face was covered. “Daddy’s acting oddly, don’t you think…?” Where she would have said his name, Booth heard only the sound of a bird chirping loudly. What was going on? He couldn’t see his son’s face or hear his name.

“Can I hold…?” Parker’s voice asked. This time instead of the name, he heard the opening chord to the Beastie Boys’ ‘Fight for your Right’.

“You can hold him after I change him.” Brennan balanced the baby in one arm and reached her other one up to caress the side of his face. “Are you sure you’re all right?”

“Yea,” he said evenly. Then he caught a glimmer out of the corner of his eye. There was a ring on her finger. A diamond ring. They were married?! She’d said yes?! When had that happened? He closed his eyes, savoring the feel of her soft hand on his skin.

When he opened them again, they were alone in her apartment. She was still pregnant. She was relaxing on the couch and he was standing in front of her, hands in his pockets. There was a small box in one of them that he kept fiddling with.

“Bones?”

“Yes?”

“I love you, you know that?”

“Of course. I love you too.”

“I can’t think of being anywhere else but with you for the rest of my life.”

She stared deep into his eyes then. It was like she already knew, knew what he was going to do. He pulled out the box, and got down on one knee, holding it open and out to her. “Will you marry me Temperance Brennan?”

She blinked several times in rapid succession, mouth moving as though she couldn’t quite get the words to come out. Then he heard it, a whisper, choked and raspy, practically inaudible, but to him it was the most glorious sound he’d ever heard. “Yes.” If this was a dream, he never wanted to wake up.

Angela got off the phone with Cam and walked the hallways back to the room housing her friend. She found her just like she’d left her, hooked up to an IV and looking defeated.

She’d been hopeful that the contractions Brennan had felt were just Braxton-Hicks, but upon arrival it had been confirmed that she was dilated and it was official preterm labor. Medication had stopped it, and tests had been performed to ensure that the baby was still healthy. He was, thank god.

“What did the doctor say caused it?” The doctor had arrived just as Angela left to take Cam’s call.

“I thought it was the emotional stress, but he said that there wasn’t any reliable connection between the two. We both checked out fine, however. He can’t find a sure cause. They’re doing a stress test soon, and that’s the last one.”

“Well, Cam said she and the boys will be up as soon as they can all get away.”

Brennan bit her lip. She knew she had to ask, but was afraid to. “Ange, have you seen…?”

She trailed off, but she didn’t need to finish.

“He’s alive and out of surgery. The doctor said the bullet nicked the pleural cavity of the right lung. They put in a chest tube and fixed the leak in the lung made by the bullet hole.” She grinned sheepishly. “I wrote it all down. They aren’t letting anyone in for a couple more hours, just to make sure he continues to stay stable. By using my feminine wiles and explaining your situation and that I was family, I got the doctor to give me that information.”

“Thank you Ange.” Brennan reached her hand out and Angela took it. “There’s something you’re not telling me though.”

“I swear you can see right through me sometimes.” She took a deep breath. “He’s not awake yet. They don’t know how long it’ll be until he comes out of it. Could be hours, could be days, maybe longer.”

Tears pooled at the corners of her eyes and she felt Angela squeeze her hand. “Let it out sweetie. It’s ok to cry.”

So she did. And once she started it was difficult to stop. The nurse coming in to get her ready for the stress test lingered in the doorway when she saw the scene, the woman’s arms around her crying friend, comforting her and just being there.

Once the test was finished and Brennan had been sentenced to more bed rest and infection preventing medication, the remainder of their surrogate family arrived.

“Is little Jack ok?” Hodgins asked with a slight grin, attempting to lighten the mood.

“Yes on his condition, a big no on the name,” Brennan replied, responding with a small grin of her own.

“I tried. How’s Booth?”

Angela filled them in on Booth’s condition while Zach scanned Brennan’s chart. “When can we see him?”

“Soon. I’ll go ask right now.” Angela left and came back in a moment. “We can go in, but not all at once. I’ll take Bren in.”

They got Brennan in a wheelchair, something she immediately decided she didn’t like. “I can walk.”

“Maybe, but you’re not going to. Rest, the doctor said. That means strictly desk work for no more than four hours a day, and that’s only if it’s ok with your doctor,” Cam ordered, being the boss.

Brennan nodded. Anything to keep from going through the preterm labor again. The fear was something she couldn’t forget.

Angela steered her down the hall slowly, tugging the IV pole along with them. When they arrived at the correct room, Angela left Brennan to the side of the door so she could open it. She saw blond hair and concerned blue eyes, and then there was nothing but red. Instead of putting the door stop underneath the door as intended, she let it shut and stomped over to Olivia, pushing her away from Booth and wrenching his limp hand from hers.

He was in a jewelry store. It was quiet and people richer than him were looking at some huge rock that looked like it could feed a small country for a year. He didn’t know what to look for. Sure, he knew he wanted a ring, but what kind, what cut of diamond? He didn’t know any of that stuff. With Rebecca, it was so easy. Go to store, get ring with diamond in it, propose. ‘Get shot down,’ he thought wryly. No, this would be different. A special ring for a special woman. He winced inwardly at the corniness of his inner thoughts.

With the help of a friendly jeweler, he found one he thought she would like. It was a 1 ½ carat princess cut with three stones. He remembered seeing it advertised on television. The jeweler said the stones represented their past, present, and future, and that did it for him. It was perfect, and it wasn’t huge or overly flashy. Now if only she would say yes. He went home to find her resting on the couch. He kissed her hello and then straightened up to stand in front of her, hands in his pockets, toying with the ring box.

She eyed him up and down. “Everything ok?”

“Yea, everything’s fine.” He sounded nervous. He wasn’t. He was terrified.

“Then come sit with me. You’re making me anxious.”

‘Here goes nothing,’ he thought. Aloud he said, “Bones?”

“Yes?”

“I love you, you know that?”
[/i][/i]

“What the hell do you think you’re doing here?” Angela asked venomously. “You don’t belong here!”

“I’m his partner. I was there. I belong right here.”

Angela leaned in, her face inches from the other woman’s. “You listen to me you blond skank! You’re not welcome here, you’re not family, and if Brennan catches you in here…”

She was interrupted by a gasp from the doorway. A kind nurse had gotten the door open and wheeled Brennan inside. “You…you got him shot! It’s your fault!” She started to get up but Angela flew in front of her, pushing her back down gently.

“Sweetie, she’s not worth it. Just stay in the chair. Just calm down.”

“I can’t! She got him shot! She’s the reason he’s like this! That should be her!” Her eyes fell on Booth, motionless in the hospital bed and she broke down again, cursing her hormones as she sobbed.

Angela’s heart broke for her. This wasn’t the Temperance Brennan she knew. Sure, her friend could use the hormones as an excuse all she wanted, and maybe that was partially the reason, but Angela knew. This was Booth. Booth was different, always had been. The same principles that Brennan could apply to every other aspect of her life never applied to Booth. This was proof of that.

Brennan composed herself and looked at Olivia. “Get out. This is all your fault. If I’d been there, I never would’ve…” her voice caught and she started over. “Just get out and stay out.”

“I never meant for it to happen. We had him trapped, and backup was taking too long. We…”

“I don’t want your excuses. I just want you out.”

Olivia bit her lip and left silently. Brennan shifted in the chair. “Ange, could you…”

“Of course.” Angela wheeled her over next to the bed. Brennan picked up the hand Olivia had been holding. Although she knew the familiar reassuring squeeze wouldn’t come, she hoped for it anyway. She pulled her lower lip into her mouth and sucked on it, then looked up at Angela.

“This isn’t right.”

“No it isn’t.”

She glanced at the clock on the wall. “We’re supposed to be home right now. I’ll be with him in the kitchen. He’ll be cooking and trying to shoo me out to go rest on the couch. We’ll have dinner, and then sit on the couch together watching that ridiculous television after fighting over the remote control. He’ll hold me close and rub my belly, saying nonsensical things to the baby. Then we’ll go to bed and make love before going to sleep wrapped up in each other’s arms.” She had a faraway look in her eyes by the time she finished.

Angela smiled wistfully. “That sounds beautiful.”

“It would’ve been.” She looked off to the side, and noticed the bag with his belongings in it. “Could you hand me that bag Ange?”

She did. “Do you want me to leave you alone?”

“Yes please.”

Angela nodded, gave Brennan a little hug, kissed Booth on the cheek, and left, making sure the door shut all the way behind her.
jremme
jremme

Back to top Go down

Post by jremme Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:52 am

They were in a church. He’d said he wanted to get married in a church, full on traditional, and she’d agreed. He was waiting next to the priest, stealing glances over at his mother, who was in the front row holding her baby grandson, whose face still wasn’t visible.

The music started and Angela walked down the aisle, escorted by Jared. Angela was beaming and although there was a smile on Jared’s face too, envy could be felt coming off him in waves. It was oddly satisfying. Both took their places. Next was Zach with a cousin Booth hadn’t seen in years, followed by Hodgins with Rebecca. Her fiancé was nowhere in sight. The music changed, and everyone turned around.

He wasn’t sure he could even breathe when his eyes landed on her. She was radiant; beyond beautiful in a traditional flowing white gown, a train behind her, a veil over her face. He wasn’t sure how he’d been able to convince her, but he didn’t care. On one side was her father, looking so proud he could burst. On the other side was Parker, holding his soon to be stepmother’s hand and looking almost as proud as Max. When he caught sight of his father, he gave him a thumbs up, which Booth returned.

Brennan opened the bag, pulling his tie out first. It was blood splattered and she wondered why they hadn’t tossed it out like they had his shirt. Wait. They had tossed out his shirt hadn’t they? She peeked in. Yes, they had. Good. The tie was bad enough. She wasn’t sure what she would’ve done if the shirt had been in there. His jacket and pants was missing too, which was also just as good. She reached back in and felt his shoes and socks. She pulled out the socks. They were black, white, and gray striped. She shook her head in amusement, a memory playing out in her mind.

He was unpacking his suitcases, loading everything into the two drawers she’d managed to clean out for him. She eyed his socks as he put them away, each pair more garish than the last.

“Why do you wear such odd socks?”

“Because.”

“Not an answer Booth.”

“Bones, if you wore the same boring thing to work every day, wouldn’t you wanna do something to spice it up? Knock it up a notch, ya know, like Emeril?”

“Who?”

“Come on Bones! Emeril. Bam? Anything registering?”

“I’m sorry, no.”

“Anyway, I have no control over what I wear on the job. Bureau’s strict about that. But, they don’t control my socks. Not yet at least. So, until they do…” He held up a pair of socks to illustrate.

“You’re strange,” she said with a smile.

“Yea, and you like it,” he replied, pulling her closer and laying his mouth over hers. He walked her backwards, easing her gently on the bed, leaning over her, propping himself up with an arm on either side of her.

She broke the kiss but kept her lips against his. “It is rather endearing.” With a minor struggle, she managed to sit up, pushing him slightly back and pulling her top over her head…

The memory faded out, and Brennan replaced the socks and continued rifling through the contents. She’d noticed his gun and holster were gone; most likely Olivia had taken them. She felt something small and hard and came up with his belt buckle, minus the belt. She ran her finger over it, cleaning off the specks of blood that adorned it. She’d never asked him where he’d gotten it, and put on her list of things to do when he woke up, aside from kissing him senseless, telling him she loved him, and allowing Angela to murder Olivia.

She put the buckle back in the bag, and came up with his wallet next. She opened it. It had the usual cash and credit cards. She let out an indelicate snort as she saw a condom tucked inside along with the money. She’d missed that the last time she’d opened his wallet. ‘Where was that the first night we were together?’ she thought. She wouldn’t trade her baby for anything now, but at the time, the little wrapped square would have been welcome.

She looked at his driver’s license and stifled another snort. He had that goofy grin on his face. She’d never really looked at it before. She shook her head. Driver’s license photos were never the best. Her own proved that. She took out the pictures next. There was a photo of Parker, a school picture by the look of it, and one of his parents and Jared at some military function. The last was of her. She tucked them back in and placed the wallet in her lap. She didn’t want to leave it in the room.

“You don’t have a picture of me in your wallet.”

“Where did you get that? That’s mine!”

“Don’t be like that. It’s not like I’m going to steal your money or anything.” She looked over at him. “Feel free to pout though. I like that. Now, answer my question.”

“Honestly? I don’t have a photo of just you that I like enough. You’re either with one of the squints, or you’re caught off guard and it looks funny.”

It was her turn to pout. “My photos do not look funny! There’s a camera in that drawer over there. We’ll take one for you and then crop it to fit in your wallet. You can even pick out the outfit you want me to wear.” Not that there was a whole lot to choose from. Even with her and Angela’s shopping spree, her maternity wardrobe was quite small.

“Can’t you be naked?”

She pretended to look offended. “Of course not! That’s perverted.”

“You’re right. I don’t want a naked picture of you next to a picture of Parker.”

Her brow furrowed. “What does that have to do with it?”

“It’s just…wrong.” With that, he strode off to her closet, coming back with black pants and a dark green blouse. “Here. I want your hair down, the top two buttons undone, and a big smile, ok?” He kissed her and shooed her off to change. When she came out, he pointed his finger to the ground and spun it around, indicating that she should twirl. She did so.

“Gorgeous as always,” he said quietly, then grabbed the camera.

Ignoring the blush that she knew was spreading across her cheeks, she asked, “Where should I sit?”

He brought a chair into the living room, setting it in front of her bookshelf. “Right there.”

She sat, straightened her blouse, looked at him to make sure he was ready, and gave him a big smile. Momentarily blinded by the flash, she blinked her eyes, and suddenly he was in front of her, gently easing her up and kissing her.

“Thanks Bones.”

There was a knock on the door. Brennan’s head snapped up. She’d been holding Booth’s hand and talking to him, telling him she was sorry for not telling him she loved him that morning. It seemed so long ago now. Angela poked her head in the door. “I’m sorry to interrupt sweetie, but you really need to rest. Cam and the guys will see Booth and then they gotta go home. It’s getting late. I’m going to stay with you though, ok?”

“I don’t wanna leave him.”

“I know, but you need to lie down and relax, or try to. That wheelchair can’t be all that comfortable.”

“Amazingly, it is.”

“Nice try. Come on.” She wheeled Brennan over towards the door.

“Wait! Ange, can you go get my purse please?”

“Sure. I’ll be right back.” Unquestioning, Angela left. Brennan wheeled herself over to the small table next to the bed. When Angela returned, she took her purse and rummaged through it, pulling out the slip of paper with the word ‘wildcard’ written on it in Booth’s handwriting. Feeling utterly foolish but not caring, she placed it on the table and leaned over to him, whispering in his ear.

“You said I could use this one for whatever I wanted. Well, I want you to wake up. More than anything. I love you.” Before Angela could protest, she stood up shakily and leaned further over him, placing her lips over his and wishing more than anything that she would feel him kissing her back.

She eased herself back down, and Angela wheeled her back to her room. Once they’d gotten her back in bed, Cam left to take her place by Booth’s side, Angela left to get something to drink, and Brennan fell asleep, Zach holding one hand, Hodgins the other.

They were in a hotel room, he didn’t know where exactly, but it was somewhere tropical. He’d always wanted to go to Hawaii, so maybe they were there. It was twilight, a soft breeze blowing the palm leaves on the trees outside their window. He was sitting on the bed, waiting for her. When she came out of the bathroom, he lost the ability to breathe for the second time since their wedding. She was wearing a sheer burgundy babydoll with spaghetti straps and a matching thong. Lace covered her breasts and garters held up black stockings.

“I feel ridiculous,” she commented. “And I don’t think much of this thong.”

“Well, you look wonderful, and I happen to love the thong.”

“If you love it so much you can wear it next time,” she said playfully, crawling over him and pressing him into the mattress. She kissed him deeply and nipped his bottom lip as she pulled away, traveling down his body and running her hands over him as she did. “I’m practically naked and here you are, fully clothed. That’s not fair,” she purred, her voice husky and laced with need.

“So fix it,” he challenged, his eyes full of desire.

“Oh, I intend to,” she replied, a glint in her eye.

When Cam returned, glassy eyed with unshed tears, Hodgins gave her a quick, awkward hug, and headed to Booth’s room. Cam took Brennan’s empty hand and glanced at Zach.

“I’m gonna go call Jared once Angela gets back. He should know.”

“What about his parents?” Zach asked.

“They’re out of the country. I don’t know how to get ahold of them. Jared will make that decision.”

“And Rebecca?”

Cam sighed. “I should call her too. She can decide if Parker should know or not.”

“I believe Angela has her phone number.”

“Whose number?” Angela’s voice came from the doorway, dropping to a loud whisper at the sight of a sleeping Brennan.

“Rebecca’s. I’m going to call Jared, and Zach thought she should know too.”

Angela nodded in agreement and retrieved Rebecca’s cell number from her own phone. Cam left to make the calls, and Angela looked at Zach. “You going to go see him?”

“Yes. As soon as Hodgins returns. I also wanted to know if I could stay with you and Dr. Brennan.”

Angela smiled. “If you want to, of course you can. I think she’d appreciate that.”

After Zach left to see Booth, Cam returned. “Rebecca’s not going to tell Parker, at least not yet. And Jared’s coming. He’ll be here as soon as he can.”

Hodgins yawned. “I should be getting home. It’s late. Where’s Zach? I thought he’d be back by now.”

“He’s staying here with me, so you don’t have to wait for him,” Angela informed him.

“Ok, I’ll be back tomorrow.” He kissed Brennan on the forehead and left with a wave at the others.

“I’ll be back too,” Cam said, squeezing Angela’s shoulder. “If you and Zach need some time to sleep, just give me a call and I’ll come and sit with her.”

Angela smiled her thanks. “I think we’ll be all right.”

‘We’ll all be all right. All of us,’ her mind told her. They had to be. She needed her happy ending.
jremme
jremme

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:21 am

I need my happy ending too!
At least Brennan and the baby are okay...if you could make Booth better now, I would be really happy.....
PPS

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 37397
Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum