Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Book Club

5 posters

Go down

The Book Club  Empty The Book Club

Post by willgirl Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm always interested in finding new books to read so I thought it would be great to have a thread to post our favourite books. So share what you like to read and make recommendations!

willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9099
Say What You Want : Go Synthesis!
Registration date : 2008-05-30

http://www.synthesiscommunications.net

Back to top Go down

The Book Club  Empty Re: The Book Club

Post by willgirl Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:16 pm

My niece introduced me to this book over the summer called Crank.

It is disturbing and engaging and addictive. Although perhaps addictive isn't the right word since it's all about substance abuse.

Here's the amazon link:

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

And here's what it's about:

First of all, it's written as a series of poems, but don't let that bother you. You will get so into it that it reads like any other novel.

It's about a young girl named Kristina who, after visiting her wayward father, gets addicted to meth which she calls 'the monster'. I don't want to give too much away but it's an amazing book. It's a series and I actually haven't read the other two for fear of what's going to happen. I very much connected with the main character and don't want to find out what she does next!!!

Anyway, I recommend it very highly!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:17 am

I read this book about a month ago or so.

Broken
by Megan Hart

I'd post the little synopsis but it just sounds too bizarre. And if you read it, the first chapter will definitely be bizarre. I almost put it down before I got to chapter 2. But once you figure out what's going on, it pulls you in. I laugh and cry plenty when I read, that's easy for me. But this book took that to a whole new level.

(This is NOT a book for the under-aged reader!)
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah9488 Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:50 am

I highly recommend the novel

One Day by David Nicholls.

"The episodic story takes place during a single day each year for two decades in the lives of Dex and Em. Dexter, the louche public school boy, and Emma, the brainy Yorkshire lass, meet the day they graduate from university in 1988 and run circles around one another for the next 20 years. Dex becomes a TV presenter whose life of sex, booze, and drugs spins out of control, while Em dully slogs her way through awful jobs before becoming the author of young adult books. They each take other lovers and spouses, but they cannot really live without each other."

I couldn't stop reading, I laughed and I cried. And usually I don't cry that much reading.
Sarah9488
Sarah9488
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1104
Say What You Want : Avatar: https://twitter.com/bitsy_bones
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://www.myspace.com/sarah9488

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Both of those look great! Can't wait to read!
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by gordongordonfan Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:44 pm

I absolutely love the 'Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon. 7 books thus far I think... all very lengthy! Highly engaging and full of romance, drama, action, human experience etc. They are all good, but first 3 (Outlander; Dragonfly in Amber; Voyager) are the best.

Set mostly in 1700's Scotland (but some in 1940's England and US). Story of Jamie and Claire (strong, awesome couple). She is a WWII nurse from the 1940's who finds herself cast back through standing stones to the 18th century. Jaimie is a Scottish clansmen who is written as an entirely believable hero. Strong, do anything for family, loves Claire more than life, still makes mistakes and is flawed, etc. I know it sounds cheesy cause of the passing through time, but it's very well done. It's a great story if you like historical romance type stuff... but it's not simply a "historical romance" genre book... it's all about human relationships, history, cultures and ways of life, action etc. Very awesome series if you like this kind of thing like I do! LOL
gordongordonfan
gordongordonfan
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by future_anthro Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:17 pm

I have some non fiction recommendations that are a little out of the ordinary. Hilarious and interesting though. They are by Mary Roach.

The three i have read are:
and [Only admins are allowed to see this link].

There is also a fourth that i haven't read called [Only admins are allowed to see this link].

Mary Roach is a journalist who took to investigating the use of cadavers, etc and then turned the research into best selling books. They are amazingly funny, especially some of the footnotes.
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by future_anthro Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:29 am

Oh and a fiction recommendation are novels by Jefferson Bass (Dr Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson). I think that if you like Reichs you might like Bass. Like Reichs, Bass is a Forensic Anthropologist. A hilarious and funny guy, fantastic teacher, awesome anthropologist.. and not too bad of a fictional author Smile

His non fiction (under the names of Bass and Jefferson not Jefferson Bass which is only used for the fiction) are also fantastic for anyone with an interest in Forensic Anthropology. Called Death's Acre and Beyond the Body Farm.
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

The Book Club  Empty Megan Hart's Order of Solace book "Selfish is the Heart"

Post by DBCrazy Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:36 am

I just read a couple more books by my favorite author (Megan Hart) over the weekend, and I even posted [Only admins are allowed to see this link].

DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down