Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emily to Direct in Season 6!

+5
treble21
AmandaFriend
crzy4bones
tinkrella
bailey
9 posters

Go down

Emily to Direct in Season 6! Empty Emily to Direct in Season 6!

Post by bailey Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:27 am

Emily talking about her directorial debut this season. Spoiler free. Smile

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
bailey
bailey
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 811
Say What You Want : "You just had a rebound. Yeah, which don't get me wrong can be a really fun distraction. But, when it's over, you're left thinking about the girl you really like, the one that broke your heart."

~ Jim Halpert
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Emily to Direct in Season 6! Empty Re: Emily to Direct in Season 6!

Post by tinkrella Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:31 am

I've been trying to watch this video all day and it wont work. is anyone else having the same problem? what did she say?

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by crzy4bones Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:04 am

worked fine for me...

She says that she finally broke them down. She didn't want to say which episode since they sometimes air out of order. They will shoot it after the holiday break. The interviewer asked if it would be a "big" episode, after all they gave David the 100th episode, but she said since this was her first time they should start small.

crzy4bones
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by bailey Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:05 am

tinkrella wrote:I've been trying to watch this video all day and it wont work. is anyone else having the same problem? what did she say?

Hmmm ... no, it plays fine for me. She says that they're finally going to let her direct. That she kept asking and asking and knocking on their doors and shaming them. Marissa asks if she already has an assigned episode and Emily says yes but she isn't going to say because they don't always air in the order they film but that it will be filmed right after Christmas break. Emily says she's really excited about it but has no idea what the story will be about or anything at this point. Marissa implies that they need to let her direct a "big" episode since David did the 100th, and Emily says she isn't so sure about that since it's her first time, she'd like to start small and maybe not make a big deal about it.

Hopefully it'll play for you when you get home. Very Happy

bailey
bailey
Doctor
Doctor

Say What You Want : "You just had a rebound. Yeah, which don't get me wrong can be a really fun distraction. But, when it's over, you're left thinking about the girl you really like, the one that broke your heart."

~ Jim Halpert

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:23 am

It still wont play. Ah well. I guess my computer just hates the site or something lol maybe i should try it with a different browser.

I'm assuming she is directing the one right after the break so that they can use the break for prep time. the big issue when DB directed the first time was that they start prepping the next episode while they are filming the one before it. So they had to write him lightly in that episode with that back injury thing. I guess it would be harder to do with brennan b/c she kinda is the main purpose of the whole show lol

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by bailey Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:25 am

tinkrella wrote:It still wont play. Ah well. I guess my computer just hates the site or something lol maybe i should try it with a different browser.

I'm assuming she is directing the one right after the break so that they can use the break for prep time. the big issue when DB directed the first time was that they start prepping the next episode while they are filming the one before it. So they had to write him lightly in that episode with that back injury thing. I guess it would be harder to do with brennan b/c she kinda is the main purpose of the whole show lol

I saw an interview with Hart and Emily once, and it may have been Comic Con last year ... when Emily said she wanted to direct and Hart was very dismissive and said something about her schedule and not being sure how that would work. And she, or someone, mentioned that David had done it and they had similar schedules. Kinda made me wonder if Hart just didn't think Emily could do it. (Or didn't want to fool with the extra work it would cause.)

I'm really glad that Emily stuck to her guns and that they're letting her do this ... I mean, it'd be easy for her to sit back and get comfortable with her role and career but she's not, she's pushing the envelope and wanting to try and learn new things. Good for her!
bailey
bailey
Doctor
Doctor

~ Jim Halpert

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:39 am

I think hart and the other peeps who make the director decision (prob the studio) kind of had their hands tied. They really couldn't say no to her for too long. They let david do it....TWICE. Her and david are equals. They went out of their way to make them equals when they made her producer too. It was in david's original contract, not emily's. It would look pretty crappy if they told her no but let him, you know?

I wonder if hart was just hesitating because he was honestly concerned for how it would work logistic wise? Having it filmed right after the break kind of fixes that problem.

I kinda always get the 'father figure' feeling from hart. LIke...he doesn't want to see her run down and working insane hours and stressing herself out over acting AND directing. Not that DB's character is easy, but it seems emily's character is more challenging b/c of the dialogue, and the fact that brennan is so NOT emily. I dunno. I'm not sure he doubted she could actually do it, maybe he just wanted to make sure she wasn't biting off more than she could chew.

I'm SO excited she's directing. It'll be nice to get her spin on it. I loved the episodes david did. Especially the 100th. (directing wise...not writing wise) so...I think it'll be awesome. Emily seems like the type who is up for the challenge. I don't think she would insist on doing it if she knew she couldn't.

I just am curious as to how it will be with David. They are close, so I'm sure he will be there to lend a helping hand and all. But, they but heads and (imo) seem to struggle with power just like BB do. I can only imagine them directing each other is.....an experience lol

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by crzy4bones Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:46 am

Emily also has her Dad to consult with. I'm excited for her. I wonder if David will get to direct another episode this season.

crzy4bones
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaFriend Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:16 pm

I wonder if Emily's approach to her role might have played a part in the reluctance to let her direct. I know that they aren't entirely happy with "Booth-light" episodes that precede DB-directed shows and I doubt they'd want a "Brennan-light" episode (although The Bones on the Blueline was fairly light on both leads), but I would be interested in knowing if her approach to her role might play a factor.

I imagine with the complexity of her dialog at times as well as the props she needs to deal with, her hours might be as long as DB's, but her role is demanding or stressful in other ways. I think it's interesting that she mentioned that she had to use "shaming" to get them to relent.

I'm looking forward to whatever episode she directs-- I can't imagine she would be anything but well-prepared and thoughtful in her work. Certainly she's got someone in her father to consult and to live up to.

AmandaFriend
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:43 pm

AmandaFriend wrote:I wonder if Emily's approach to her role might have played a part in the reluctance to let her direct. I know that they aren't entirely happy with "Booth-light" episodes that precede DB-directed shows and I doubt they'd want a "Brennan-light" episode (although The Bones on the Blueline was fairly light on both leads), but I would be interested in knowing if her approach to her role might play a factor.

I imagine with the complexity of her dialog at times as well as the props she needs to deal with, her hours might be as long as DB's, but her role is demanding or stressful in other ways. I think it's interesting that she mentioned that she had to use "shaming" to get them to relent.

I'm looking forward to whatever episode she directs-- I can't imagine she would be anything but well-prepared and thoughtful in her work. Certainly she's got someone in her father to consult and to live up to.

I agree. Directing is wonderful. But, the last thing the studio wants to do is have some one direct and have the character suffer? you know? Not that I think Emily would do that. But, you know what I mean.

I wonder what she meant by shaming. Did she have to pull out the "well, you let David do it..." card or pull out the "is it because he's a boy and I'm a girl?" card.

It's great that she has her father she can go to. Maybe at the same time, hart was trying to protect her from that "well...you have a lot to live up to thing." I dunno. I just know it'll rock and i'm excited for her.

I hope we get a lot of stuff about it like we did when DB directed. I especially want to know what everyone thinks of her directing!

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:19 pm

AmandaFriend wrote:I wonder if Emily's approach to her role might have played a part in the reluctance to let her direct. I know that they aren't entirely happy with "Booth-light" episodes that precede DB-directed shows and I doubt they'd want a "Brennan-light" episode (although The Bones on the Blueline was fairly light on both leads), but I would be interested in knowing if her approach to her role might play a factor.

I think these reasons are exactly why they were reluctant to allow ED to direct, for one thing she usually has more airtime than DB ( this has been changing but traditionally with this show, Brennan is in almost every scene), also ED has a different approach to her role, she researches things so that she understands what she's saying or doing, which I imagine is time consuming. I'm assuming that the reason they have her directing as soon as they come back from break is so that they don't have to have a "Brennan-lite" episode like they had to with the episodes before DB directed.
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:38 pm

I personally can't wait to see how Em's approach differs from David's. David, for all his personal issues, is an amazing actor and a naturally talented director. Given how good Emily is in her starring role, the discipline and attention to detail she brings to each scene, I can't wait to see how she'll handle directing which, in so many respects, is such a different endeavor - especially when dealing with as strong a personality as her co-star's.

You just David/Booth is gonna give her a hard time. I'm looking forward to the outtakes!

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by Brain&Heart Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:47 pm

I can't wait to see ED directing debut... but just a quick question.
What does it mean to direct exactly?
Is it things like camera angles and timing...???
Brain&Heart
Brain&Heart
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2010-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaFriend Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Brain&Heart wrote:I can't wait to see ED directing debut... but just a quick question.

In television, directors are responsible for how the show looks including camera angles and compositions. In television, the producers have more of the creative control over the product (locations, themes, characterizations, basic style, etc.) than does the director, but there's some latitude.

In a sense, the director has to put the story together from bits and pieces filmed out of order and make sure that it will all fit together seamlessly while remaining true to the producer's vision for the overall show.

Because an actor on a show has a greater understanding of the characters and themes on the show than does, say, the "director of the week," the actor/director can use a lot of shorthand with the other actors to get the performances they need. They also have a fairly good knowledge of how various locations on set have been used and can sometimes find a different angle to give a new look to the place.

TV directors can put little visual signatures on their products. The David Duchovny episode-- Judas on a Pole -- uses visual transitions between scenes that are interesting: Booth catches Caroline's keys then cuts to Max talking about how young Tempe slams a doll into her brother. The Greg Yaitanes-directed pilot uses a couple of long shots to show how Brennan is isolated/alone/unique which fit the theme of the show.

Part of preparing for the episode will include breaking down the shots and determining what to emphasize, how to visually tell the story and use visuals to highlight themes, and so on. Apparently Emily has a good memory for past episodes and I would imagine she'll be "preparing" for her role as director throughout the first half of the season and drawing upon what she already knows.

When David did the 100th, he'd already directed, what, two other episodes-- one Bones and one Angel?

AmandaFriend
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by crzy4bones Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:15 pm

yes...David had already directed 2 episodes prior to doing the 100th episode so it's not like they handed over a big episode to a rookie. I'm sure he was very honored to be allowed to do that one, instead of a more experienced director like Ian.

crzy4bones
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by sparklyshoes Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Agreed, can't wait to see Emily direct and how she impacts the "feel" of the episode. I wouldn't be surprised if the ep has some deeper social messages.

What will be interesting to see is how they handle a reduction in "brennan time" in the eps preceding her directorial debut. We know that due to the time spent preparing to direct, Booth was less prevalent or central to the storylines of the couple of eps before those he directed. I'm guessing this will be more difficult to manage with Emily...

sparklyshoes
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 111
Say What You Want : "I want to punch the writers sometimes"
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:09 am

sparklyshoes wrote:Agreed, can't wait to see Emily direct and how she impacts the "feel" of the episode. I wouldn't be surprised if the ep has some deeper social messages.

What will be interesting to see is how they handle a reduction in "brennan time" in the eps preceding her directorial debut. We know that due to the time spent preparing to direct, Booth was less prevalent or central to the storylines of the couple of eps before those he directed. I'm guessing this will be more difficult to manage with Emily...

DB had less screen time because he was acting in an episode and also preparing to direct ( looking at locations etc.). There shouldn't be a reduction in screentime for Emily, the episode she is directing is the one filmed as soon as they come back from winter break, so she will have time to prepare the episode she's directing without also having to film another episode at the same time.
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:41 am

treble21 wrote:
sparklyshoes wrote:Agreed, can't wait to see Emily direct and how she impacts the "feel" of the episode. I wouldn't be surprised if the ep has some deeper social messages.

DB had less screen time because he was acting in an episode and also preparing to direct ( looking at locations etc.). There shouldn't be a reduction in screentime for Emily, the episode she is directing is the one filmed as soon as they come back from winter break, so she will have time to prepare the episode she's directing without also having to film another episode at the same time.

true story. that's probably why they picked that episode for her. she'll just have a reduction in christmas break time. but i'm sure it's a great pay off since she gets to direct! i wonder if her dad will come to see her.

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:47 am

AmandaFriend wrote:
Brain&Heart wrote:I can't wait to see ED directing debut... but just a quick question.

In television, directors are responsible for how the show looks including camera angles and compositions. In television, the producers have more of the creative control over the product (locations, themes, characterizations, basic style, etc.) than does the director, but there's some latitude.

In a sense, the director has to put the story together from bits and pieces filmed out of order and make sure that it will all fit together seamlessly while remaining true to the producer's vision for the overall show.

Because an actor on a show has a greater understanding of the characters and themes on the show than does, say, the "director of the week," the actor/director can use a lot of shorthand with the other actors to get the performances they need. They also have a fairly good knowledge of how various locations on set have been used and can sometimes find a different angle to give a new look to the place.

TV directors can put little visual signatures on their products. The David Duchovny episode-- Judas on a Pole -- uses visual transitions between scenes that are interesting: Booth catches Caroline's keys then cuts to Max talking about how young Tempe slams a doll into her brother. The Greg Yaitanes-directed pilot uses a couple of long shots to show how Brennan is isolated/alone/unique which fit the theme of the show.

Part of preparing for the episode will include breaking down the shots and determining what to emphasize, how to visually tell the story and use visuals to highlight themes, and so on. Apparently Emily has a good memory for past episodes and I would imagine she'll be "preparing" for her role as director throughout the first half of the season and drawing upon what she already knows.

When David did the 100th, he'd already directed, what, two other episodes-- one Bones and one Angel?

Thanks for explaining the director thing. I get so confused about it all. Like...what is the difference between a director, a cinematographer and all that? it makes no sense to me. Does the director actually run the camera and stuff? How exactly....do you direct and act at the same time?

I love the pilot because of those long shots. It's so great. I like David's directing style as well and David Duchovny's was great too. I really think emily will bring great things to it. Maybe a softer side we don't get to see very often.

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by 192630 Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:31 am

I think it's great that Emily gets her chance at directing. At last year's CC, the issue was addressed by the audience and Hart suggested that she works too many hours and I got the impression that Hart thought it might be too much for her. Hope Emily does well.

Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by bailey Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:20 am

tinkrella wrote:
Thanks for explaining the director thing. I get so confused about it all. Like...what is the difference between a director, a cinematographer and all that? it makes no sense to me. Does the director actually run the camera and stuff? How exactly....do you direct and act at the same time?

The director doesn't literally run the camera. They do watch the shots as they're happening to make sure it looks the way they want. I imagine if you're doing both you'd do the scene, call cut, then walk over and watch what you just filmed on the monitor and decide if it's what you want. To make it easier I bet that this won't be an emotionally heavy episode for Brennan and more of a case file type episode.

I wonder if Emily is going to embrace the advice of David, and Hart and her Dad, or be more like, "leave me alone." Lol. She kinda seems like the independent, I'll listen but I'm going to do it my own way type of gal.

I'm with the others who said they hope they give us a lot of behind the scenes footage like they did when David directed. Laughing
bailey
bailey
Doctor
Doctor

~ Jim Halpert

Back to top Go down

Post by Brain&Heart Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:42 pm

AmandaFriend wrote:

Thank you so much for that explination Smile Smile
you're right, you can tell the differences between episodes by different directors. i had always seen those differences but never attributed them to the different directors and their styles.
Brain&Heart
Brain&Heart
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2010-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down