Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie Reviews!

+14
Koudijs
PIMP
A2BOREANAZ
Meegs82
Tan
Zeddie
i_heart_bones
phoebsfan
moonlightbones
MoonlightGardenias
THX1138
Rike
RGPageantqueen
DBCrazy
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Movie Reviews! Empty Movie Reviews!

Post by DBCrazy Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:40 am

I like talking about movies when I've just seen one. How about you? Very Happy

I'll be back later today and let you know about Julie & Julia!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Movie Reviews! Empty Re: Movie Reviews!

Post by RGPageantqueen Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:48 am

yes do that please! I really want to see t hat. I might go see 500 Days of summer today.
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 5921
Say What You Want : There's a wild wild wind calling out my name, like a long lost friend, and there's nothing sweeter than American honey<3
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:31 am

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and as I was sitting there with my smile on my face I heard in my ear, "It was good, but not that good."

So there you have it.

Meryl Streep was wonderful in this movie. I was taken with her characterization of Julia Child from the first commercial I heard for this movie. That said, I'm not one that's all googly over her. For whatever reason she has to prove herself to me every time, and she rarely disappoints. Amy Adams on the other hand, it seems is just always delightful and I have come to expect that from her, and she delivered.

This movie doesn't have a lot of big laughs, really not a lot of big reactions at all. Even still I really did enjoy it. I'm not terribly explicit with my reviews, but suffice it to say that I feel like ordering Julia's cookbook and even looking for her TV show episodes to watch. I've seen some, way back when, but not enough to begin to understand the phenomenon that was Julia Child.

Oh, one more thing!! There's a point later on in the movie where Julie is listening to her phone messages. I swear, somebody hand me a stack of Bibles, that the first message is left by Zooey!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:32 am

Ella, I hope you leave a review of 500 Days!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:26 am

DBCrazy wrote:Ella, I hope you leave a review of 500 Days!
As soon as I get people together to go see it, I will. I heard nothing but good about it. Cross your fingers that I can see it this afternoon
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Say What You Want : There's a wild wild wind calling out my name, like a long lost friend, and there's nothing sweeter than American honey<3

Back to top Go down

Post by Rike Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:11 am

I was just watching The Proposal. Laughing (with Alina)
The new movie with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds as Andrew Paxton ( does someone else see it? I have to really be obsessed with Kathy Reichs books, too!)

Okay a review, öhm
the ending was like we thought it would.
I loved it, it is really funny
but one tip, don't go in there if there are boys who are just 13 Rolling Eyes
because then they talk the whole time really loud!

Rike
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1695
Say What You Want : The human voice can never reach the distance that is covered by the still small voice of consious.
Mahatma Ghandi
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:15 am

Rike wrote:I was just watching The Proposal. Laughing (with Alina)
The new movie with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds as Andrew Paxton ( does someone else see it? I have to really be obsessed with Kathy Reichs books, too!)

Okay a review, öhm
the ending was like we thought it would.
I loved it, it is really funny
but one tip, don't go in there if there are boys who are just 13 Rolling Eyes
because then they talk the whole time really loud!

Ugh tell me about it, we went to go see Harry Potter last week and these stupid boys came in and from the minute they walked in you knew they were trouble. I mean the whole time they would make idiotic comments and when Dumbledor died and it was that tense part of the movie they were laughing and acting completely immature and rude. I hate people who think it's funny to talk during movies.
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:30 am

Don't get me started on jackasses in the theater. Gf and I went to see Gran Torino a while back and we ended up sitting in front of a pack of 13 and 14 yearold boys who came in unsupervised (to a rated R movie) and proceeded to talk, laugh, argue and text their other friends through out the first half of the movie. When no one else would do anything about it I finally turned around, reached out and snatched one of the little bastards phones and took it out into the lobby. The pack of kids followed me and while they complained and screamed that I was stealing their buddy's phone I scrolled through his calll log and found his parents' number, dialed it and told his mom to come pick him up.

Oh I was in some trouble, sure, the manager wanted to toss me out and the kids wanted me arrested, but when the cops showed up they said I showed remarkable restraint. Nice thing about 13 year olds, they're idiots. Here's a clue kids, don't make 'oink oink' noises when you want to get the cops on your side. Instead the one cop babysat the kids until the mom showed up and he gave her an earful about the theatre not being a babysitting servce, and the other cop told the manager that he needed to be proactive about dealing with kids like this. I never did see the end of the damn movie that day.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:44 am

NIIIICE! I'd give you a high five if I could! Smile You're my hero pops!

I went to a movie with my sisters and a few friends and at the end of our row were these preteens having sex, I mean descrete but still when the guys head was between her legs it didn't take a fool to realize what they were doing. Anyways, needless to say t he movie went on and ended and as I got up to leave I did that cough a word thing, so I went ::Coughwhorecough:: and she got all flustered and replied "Bitch" And I just laughed cause really what are you going to do? I basically called her out. As we left, they were still doing it in the theatre (obviously they have bad timing) and I went up to the manager and told him what was going on. Well lets just say the guy was still trying to zip his fly when the manager was pulling him out into the crowded lobby. The girls shirt was all mangled and all these people were staring. I mean seriously! This is why I don't do sex in public. It's may be a rush for you, but the rest of t he world doesn't want to see it.
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonlightGardenias Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:19 am

Exactly. I mean, a kiss or something is one thing. I'm not gonna lie. But that? That is just...yeah. No.

What bugs me is when people laugh at absolutely everything. Not just a little snicker but a freaking loud guffaw or something. At everything. Even parts that should not be laughed at. It's ridiculous.
MoonlightGardenias
MoonlightGardenias
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1092
Say What You Want : Everything happens eventually...
Registration date : 2009-01-25

http://www.fanfiction.net/~moonlightgardenias

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:32 am

yeah, I hate that too. I don't know if teenagers are just idiots or if they are doing it to annoy everyone else or if they just think it's hilarious to act that way or what their deal is. I never acted like that and neither do my sisters. And it's not just boys either. When we went to see disturbia (The shia lebeouf movie) these stupid girls screamed at EVERYTHING. I mean, every little thing. And that wasn't even a scary movie.
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:47 am

Okay I promissed Sherry I'd review [Only admins are allowed to see this link] for you all so here it is - remember this is a GUY talking here, so try and relate.

It's a chick flick. Not just a chick flick but it's an "English Patient" kind of chick flick. Only not as good as the English Patient, not for lack of acting ability though. It's the script that doesn't do the book justice really. My gf actually bought the damn book and read it before dragging me out to see this thing. (Okay, it was a date night and I took her because, hey, she's worth it but still District 9 was playing one.theater.over.!) The long and the short of it - Eric Bana (Henry) and Rachel McAdams (Clare) were both great, there is some chemistry there but there was just something about the story that didn't close the deal. I do admit the concept of a genetic mutation allowing for time travel didn't work for me and too many elements of the story were reminiscent of [Only admins are allowed to see this link] which I find to be a superior movie. My gf, on the other hand, loved it as did every other woman in the theatre, so maybe I was missing the one thing really needed to appreciate this movie - a uterus.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by moonlightbones Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:26 am

I don't go to very many movies, but my 20 year old son and I have been to see The Ugly Truth twice now. And it's just as hilarious the second time around. Katherine Heigel (that's probably not how she spells her name) and Gerard Butler are just great and have wonderful chemistry in the movie. I told my husband, it's in my top 10 funniest movies ever.
moonlightbones
moonlightbones
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 308
Say What You Want : - 'What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.' -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Registration date : 2009-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by phoebsfan Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:52 pm

500 Days of Summer...

It was great, not as great as The Brother's Bloom, but still DEFINATELY worth seeing. My sister and I are still laughing over, and quoting our favorite lines. It is most definately not a love story, as you are often reminded... but instead a wonderful story about love to which pretty much everyone can relate to at one time or another.
phoebsfan
phoebsfan
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4792
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by i_heart_bones Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:02 pm

THX1138 wrote:Okay I promissed Sherry I'd review [Only admins are allowed to see this link] for you all so here it is - remember this is a GUY talking here, so try and relate.

It's a chick flick. Not just a chick flick but it's an "English Patient" kind of chick flick. Only not as good as the English Patient, not for lack of acting ability though. It's the script that doesn't do the book justice really. My gf actually bought the damn book and read it before dragging me out to see this thing. (Okay, it was a date night and I took her because, hey, she's worth it but still District 9 was playing one.theater.over.!) The long and the short of it - Eric Bana (Henry) and Rachel McAdams (Clare) were both great, there is some chemistry there but there was just something about the story that didn't close the deal. I do admit the concept of a genetic mutation allowing for time travel didn't work for me and too many elements of the story were reminiscent of [Only admins are allowed to see this link] which I find to be a superior movie. My gf, on the other hand, loved it as did every other woman in the theatre, so maybe I was missing the one thing really needed to appreciate this movie - a uterus.

king RM

You must read the book! One of my all time favourites...

Wait you are a man...scrap that Razz
i_heart_bones
i_heart_bones
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 6090
Say What You Want : WWDBD?
Twitter.com/IndiaGreen
Registration date : 2008-11-29

http://shortlybeforemidnight.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by i_heart_bones Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:03 pm

Can somebody tell me if district 9 is any good? Everyone is talking about it. Im not really one for alienish type movies, but it doesn't look to bad. However since i trust your likeminded opinions on here i need to know!
i_heart_bones
i_heart_bones
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Twitter.com/IndiaGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeddie Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:02 pm

The Proposal was amazing, super funny and just awesome. Sandra Bullock was so funny!
Zeddie
Zeddie
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 12060
Say What You Want : Fanfiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done
in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk.
-- Henry Jenkins
Movie Reviews! 8d0b0409962e33290be09e7890718bde2b3c7fe1
Registration date : 2009-01-08

http://www.fanfiction.net/~csiloverzed

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:19 pm

i_heart_bones wrote:Can somebody tell me if district 9 is any good? Everyone is talking about it. Im not really one for alienish type movies, but it doesn't look to bad. However since i trust your likeminded opinions on here i need to know!
Seeing it this weekend, so I'll let you know.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:46 pm

Isn't district 9 the alien movie?

I want to see Post Grad
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by i_heart_bones Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:48 pm

THX1138 wrote:
i_heart_bones wrote:Can somebody tell me if district 9 is any good? Everyone is talking about it. Im not really one for alienish type movies, but it doesn't look to bad. However since i trust your likeminded opinions on here i need to know!
Seeing it this weekend, so I'll let you know.

king RM

Cheers! Very Happy
i_heart_bones
i_heart_bones
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Twitter.com/IndiaGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:08 am

cheers! LOL! I like that!
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by i_heart_bones Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:55 am

haha really? i think like every second person in australia just uses it as a thank you!
i_heart_bones
i_heart_bones
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Twitter.com/IndiaGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:35 am

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Let me start off with some background and a caveat or two: the movie is a foreign production, shot in South Africa with a mostly South African cast and crew. While it is an English language film those of you who have difficulty with accents or are tin eared should be forewarned, Afrikaners' accents vary in strength in the film and Sharlto Copley (the actor who plays Wikus van de Merwe) tends to clip his words when he's speaking in some of the more intense scenes making the accent more pronounced. I'm only bringing this up because there were times when I found myself struggling to keep up with him and I have a friend who's an Afrikaner, so I'm used to it. Alrighty then, caveats issued, on with the actual review.

District 9 is a movie that challenges the viewer in many ways, and pushes the envelope in so many respects that it can be a shock to the movie goer who's grown soft watching pap from the Hollywood gristmill. This is not always the easiest film to watch, but it is good cinema. The camera work was excellent, bouncing as it did from the photorealist/documentary style popularized by French cinéma vérité, to the more prosaic yet far smoother three camera angle approach that is the standard today. The script was incredible in it's detail and intensity, honestly this is what SciFi fans are used to reading in books but never seeing on screen because too often the producers and the director and the screen writers gut the books of what makes them so great in favor of special effects and big named actors who spend more time chewing scenery than acting. In District 9 there are some phenomenal special effects - how good are they? They don't detract or draw focus form the actors themselves at all - that's how good they are (the combat armor was definitely impressive).

The movie itself is really a morality tale that focuses on two characters, Wikus van de Merwe and Christopher Johnson. Wikus (Sharlto Copley) is a petty bureaucrat who's risen to his position in life through an advantageous marriage and blatant nepotism to become the head of a relocation project that will force the aliens, who are truly at our mercy on this planet since they're outnumbered 6000 to 1, out of their ghetto near Johannesburg and into a concentration/prison camp 200+ miles away. Wikus is a callous, cruel, bigoted, speciest and thoroughly unlikable, however an accident during the relocation infects him with alien DNA. Once he's infected and begins his transformation, Wikus suffers at the hands of his father-in-law and the company he used to work for, persecuted and abused in the exact way the alien 'prawn' are. Wikus becomes dehumanized and in the process he actually learns to be human. His descent into madness, his very real alienation as he becomes more alien, is what awakens his humanity.

Christopher Johnson is the name of the Alien 'prawn' who befriends Wikus, as much out of necessity as his superior sense of moral obligation, promising to help cure him in return for help saving his son and his people. Chris has been working for 20 years to fix the alien "command module" so he can take the mother ship back to their Homeworld and arrange a rescue. It's telling that the alien 'prawn' are given English names, a very real nod to the imperial/colonial era Africa suffered through, as well as an allegorical reference to the soft tyranny of cultural hegemony/imperialism. It is at this point that the movie is it's most formulaic and yet it still retains a sense of originality to it. Formulaic yes, but it's a new formula. I won't give away too many detail except to say that for the action fans there are some great chases, a lot of explosions and one hell of a firefight before the movie comes to it's climactic point. The climax is again, not what one might expect.

Spoiler:

My last word: Good cinema does not mean it was always easy to watch. This is a film that, as I stated earlier, pushes the envelope. Quite honestly there were times when I was so ill at ease that I nearly left the theatre. My girlfriend did leave several times, only to return when the 'bad parts' were over. She was pretty disturbed by some of it, and it's not the sort of film either of us would recommend younger kids see. I'm not even sure teenagers should see it really, simply because it's a film that demands more than the average teen viewer is prepared to give. Good cinema? Absolutely. A good movie to see for date night? I'm not so sure. Family film? Hell no.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:35 am

I can't even remember the last movie I went to at the theatre.... probably one of the LotR movies... told ya it was ages ago!!

I just don't go, for all the reasons mentioned above and the fact that there is only one cinema where I live, and there is never anything on that I'd pay $15 to go and see. *sigh* I must be getting old! Very Happy
Tan
Tan
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 841
Say What You Want : Always in the shit, just the depth that varies
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:39 pm

Anybody seen any good movies lately??
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum