Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bones - Emmy Nominated! (premature, and no such luck!)

+10
THX1138
heirofloki
Lo
ForensicMama
i_heart_bones
bones206
jagglebells
MoonlightGardenias
danireed
DBCrazy
14 posters

:: News

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bones - Emmy Nominated! (premature, and no such luck!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Bones - Emmy Nominated! (premature, and no such luck!)

Post by MoonlightGardenias Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:30 am

PD got nominations? Heh. I liked it and all, but it did get cancelled, so...hmm. At least Castle didn't get anything. Right? Sorry, I just refuse to watch a carbon copy.
MoonlightGardenias
MoonlightGardenias
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1092
Say What You Want : Everything happens eventually...
Registration date : 2009-01-25

http://www.fanfiction.net/~moonlightgardenias

Back to top Go down

Bones - Emmy Nominated! (premature, and no such luck!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Bones - Emmy Nominated! (premature, and no such luck!)

Post by DBCrazy Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:18 am

MoonlightGardenias wrote:PD got nominations? Heh. I liked it and all, but it did get cancelled, so...hmm. At least Castle didn't get anything. Right? Sorry, I just refuse to watch a carbon copy.
I've never seen Pushing Daisies. I watched a smidgeon of Castle when it first started, and as much as I kinda like Nathan Fillion, I'm like MG - it's just a copy, and it's obvious about it! But that woulda sucked big time if they'd gotten nominated for something and Bones left hanging high and dry.

I'm happy for you and your shows, Karlia!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:48 am

Go Bones!

And actually, Castle isn't a copy at all. I watched the season and actually really enjoyed it! Mmmmm.....Nathan Fillion.

And go Pushing Daisies! I'm super excited about that!

As for the Bones nominations, I didn't think this season was as good as past ones. I would have loved to see them get nominated for some past episodes.

The thing about the Emmys is that Bones doesn't fit into a category. It's not a straight drama but it's not a comedy either. Shows like this usually don't get nominations (see Buffy, Gilmore Girls, etc).
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9099
Say What You Want : Go Synthesis!
Registration date : 2008-05-30

http://www.synthesiscommunications.net

Back to top Go down

Post by A2BOREANAZ Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:51 am

OMG.......I LOVE LOVE LOVE CASTLE.......AND PUSHING DAISIES ALSO...its not a copy of bones........i dont think so anyway.......its very entertaining........
A2BOREANAZ
A2BOREANAZ
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 35708

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:16 am

willgirl wrote:Go Bones!

And actually, Castle isn't a copy at all. I watched the season and actually really enjoyed it! Mmmmm.....Nathan Fillion.
I gots to disagree boss lady, even David B thinks they're an immitator:
David Boreanaz Interview wrote:EW: I've been thinking about this since I saw the Castle premiere. Did you watch that?
DB: The show that's ripping us off? .... Although Nathan's great on it. He's a good guy, he's a friend of mine. But come on, ABC, you're trying to rip us off. I think they're just upset that we smashed Ugly Betty on Thursday nights. They're upset about that. Bring it. [Laughs] All right, let's go on. I'm gettin' in trouble.
Personally I liked Castle, but it is a ripoff of Bones with the roles switched. In Castle it's the author (Fillion) who's the intuitive heart person while the detective is more dispassionate and logical.
As for the Bones nominations, I didn't think this season was as good as past ones. I would have loved to see them get nominated for some past episodes.
Ain't that the truth. Half of season 1, all of season two and most of season three were emmy material. Season four, not so much.

The thing about the Emmys is that Bones doesn't fit into a category. It's not a straight drama but it's not a comedy either. Shows like this usually don't get nominations (see Buffy, Gilmore Girls, etc).
That's the problem with awards shows period - the people that put them together are the same people that design standardized tests and one size fits all jumpers - the rat bastards should stick to what they know, which is jack all IMO, and stay away from the creative industry, period. People's Choice awards, that's where a show like Bones gets it's due because the 'industry' types don't have any control over it.

king RM

Man I am in a fowl mood today. Think I'll go kill me something to eat...or someone, it's been a rough week.
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by willgirl Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:22 am

HA!

I love how you don't think the People's Choice awards are rigged. C'mon, have you ever seen Bones up for a People's Choice award?

And yes, I have boycotted the Emmys for a long time. (Although I may watch it this year because I love NPH). But yea, I think the fans know it's a good show so that's all that matters.
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9099
Say What You Want : Go Synthesis!

http://www.synthesiscommunications.net

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:28 am

willgirl wrote:HA!

I love how you don't think the People's Choice awards are rigged. C'mon, have you ever seen Bones up for a People's Choice award?

And yes, I have boycotted the Emmys for a long time. (Although I may watch it this year because I love NPH). But yea, I think the fans know it's a good show so that's all that matters.
Okay, you got me. I'm a typical guy. Unless we're gay or we're forced to watch we just don't do awards shows. Trust me, I haven't voluntarily seen even part of one in close to twenty years, and when I have watched parts of one it's been because the current SWMBO had the remote and I was forbidden from touching the channel.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonlightGardenias Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:37 am

Now that I've had time to think about it, I'm almost kind of...well, not glad because it definitely deserved to at the least get acknowledged. David or Emily, or even Brendan someone else as a guest-star. But the show itself isn't what it once was in seasons two and three (and one, but that probably would have bene too early. Unless you're Lost and everyone thinks you're fresh and new. They got a nod for drama, finally and thankfully. So we'll see there.)

I don't know. I love Bones and think they should get something, but it just feels like the same people winning year after year.
MoonlightGardenias
MoonlightGardenias
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:04 am

Agreed whole heartedly. Although using the Lost standard Bones should have cleaned up in S1, because it was new and innovative. The problem was the schmucks that vote keep seeing "Crime drama/Procedural" and then trying to force the very square peg into the very round hole, with expected results.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:42 am

You know, I can go with you that S4 didn't come up to the previous seasons' standard. There were some disappointments.

But what I don't understand is the idea that a drama can't be humorous, light even? Where did that idea come from? I get that it's no Law & Order or CSI drama, but how did shows like that become the examples to follow? If anything I think shows like that are terribly dated. I do watch them, but when it's over I feel like I've watched the news, not a tv show.
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonlightGardenias Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:52 am

That's the blessing and the curse that comes with a show like Bones. Of course it has its dramatic moments and sometimes episodes, but then you have those moments when Booth is high or when it's a crazy case and people can't help but crack a joke. I don't mind and I'm sure you all don't, but the fact is it doesn't fit in a specific category. It's NOT a comedy (thank goodness, not that I have faults with those, but still.), and it is technically considered a drama, but it's actually in that gray area in between.

I'm hoping next season things can sharpen up a little and they'll get a few nominations, but I guess no one really knows at this point.
MoonlightGardenias
MoonlightGardenias
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:16 am

DBCrazy wrote:You know, I can go with you that S4 didn't come up to the previous seasons' standard. There were some disappointments.

But what I don't understand is the idea that a drama can't be humorous, light even? Where did that idea come from? I get that it's no Law & Order or CSI drama, but how did shows like that become the examples to follow? If anything I think shows like that are terribly dated. I do watch them, but when it's over I feel like I've watched the news, not a tv show.
BINGO! Not only that but those of us who are old enough to remember when L&O came on the air know it was a ground breaking procedural in it's day - we'd never had a show that took us from the beginning of the crime through the arresting process and into the trial before that, all of the shows focused on one aspect or the other, never both, not until Law & Order. It's like Hollywood just can't deal with truly innovative shows until they've been around long enough to become staid and predictable.
I blame the fact that the industry is run by accountants and has been for the last fifty years. Bean counters understand balance sheets, not the creative process. They're a necessary evil but somehow they've come to run the show instead of just advise the people who should be running the show.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by danireed Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:40 am

The thing about the Emmys is that Bones doesn't fit into a category. It's not a straight drama but it's not a comedy either. Shows like this usually don't get nominations (see Buffy, Gilmore Girls, etc).[/quote]

Ok but if remember right Buffy was nominated for one episode "Hush" grated it was the one that no one talk in it but still.......
danireed
danireed
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:39 am

danireed wrote:
willgirl wrote:The thing about the Emmys is that Bones doesn't fit into a category. It's not a straight drama but it's not a comedy either. Shows like this usually don't get nominations (see Buffy, Gilmore Girls, etc).

Ok but if remember right Buffy was nominated for one episode "Hush" grated it was the one that no one talk in it but still.......
Hush was so innovative they couldn't ignore it - TV may be a visual medium but dialogue drives a show and yet there was complete silence for something like 27 minutes. If they'd ignored that they'd have revealed themselves for the sham they really are, so they gave it two emmy nods and then gave the awards to The West Wing which was so original (a show about politics in Washington DC? We've never had one of those before!). What a frelling crock. Creativity is dead. The whore of Babylon looks only for it's danegelt and the viewing public be damned.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by heirofloki Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:07 pm

Hush was AWESOME. And I didn't eve like Buffy. That's how awesome it was. But then, In Excelsis Deo was quite sublime. ;-)

Just sayin'...

heirofloki
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1343
Say What You Want : "Alright. The apocalypse is approaching and the world is ending, and the riders are coming at full speed, but before that happens, I want to give you an apartment. Tell me which one!"
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Karlia-Wicked-Witch Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:30 pm

I do have to say that despite of the fact that PD was cancelled I'm still happy for it's nominations as the show was killed of so prematurely and it deserved much better that it got.

As for Bones I do think that season 4 wasn't Emmy material at all. From my personal standpoint I got surprised by new disappointments episode after episode. I won't deny there were some awesome episodes which I loved but compared to times where every next episode was like a precious treasure season 4 was just not worth it.

Which makes me sad, cause at the same time when we look at The Closer the season 5 is running and the scripts get better and better and better, yes still even during the 5th season. So I'm really sad about the fact that Bones which was such a good show got messed up after the 3rd season already!

But hey you get what you get right?
So I pretty much don't have any hopes when it comes down to the next season of Bones, but maybe I've just grown out of it! Who knows!
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 16090
Say What You Want : Buena Suerte Y Adios Mis Amigos <3
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Karlia-Wicked-Witch Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:31 pm

THX1138 wrote:
danireed wrote:
willgirl wrote:The thing about the Emmys is that Bones doesn't fit into a category. It's not a straight drama but it's not a comedy either. Shows like this usually don't get nominations (see Buffy, Gilmore Girls, etc).

Hush was so innovative they couldn't ignore it - TV may be a visual medium but dialogue drives a show and yet there was complete silence for something like 27 minutes. If they'd ignored that they'd have revealed themselves for the sham they really are, so they gave it two emmy nods and then gave the awards to The West Wing which was so original (a show about politics in Washington DC? We've never had one of those before!). What a frelling crock. Creativity is dead. The whore of Babylon looks only for it's danegelt and the viewing public be damned.

king RM
I love The West Wing... especially epis with Kristin Chenoweth
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 16090
Say What You Want : Buena Suerte Y Adios Mis Amigos <3

Back to top Go down

Post by phoebsfan Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:04 am

DBCrazy wrote:
MoonlightGardenias wrote:PD got nominations? Heh. I liked it and all, but it did get cancelled, so...hmm. At least Castle didn't get anything. Right? Sorry, I just refuse to watch a carbon copy.
I've never seen Pushing Daisies. I watched a smidgeon of Castle when it first started, and as much as I kinda like Nathan Fillion, I'm like MG - it's just a copy, and it's obvious about it! But that woulda sucked big time if they'd gotten nominated for something and Bones left hanging high and dry.

I'm happy for you and your shows, Karlia!

Bones has yet to deserve an emmy nomintation. They came close in the first two seasons. But there are far too many shows out there that are better. I am surprised they were nominated at all. That doesn't mean it's not a good show. It just means it's not the best show and that they could do better. And while Bones has left me wanting to poke my eyes out more times than I thought possible this season, Castle has actually left me enertained. So copy or not, least they are doing something right. Still, I would not expect them to earn a nomination either. (but they did for music) I am glad that someone recognized good tv with Pushing Daisies nominations. I don't think they were given a fair shot and I'm glad someone is saying it was worth the effort.
phoebsfan
phoebsfan
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4792

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonlightGardenias Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:30 am

That's kind of why I said I was a bit okay with Bones only getting the one nomination. I think the actors themselves do a fantastic job, but when it comes to actual storyline and such some thing fall short. I do think they deserve the nom for HitH though, because of all the sets and angles and such. It was great.

But basically, for them to have been nominated or to even win an award so far (except for maybe earlier on), would have sent the sign that things were perfect the way they were. Changes should be in order, IMO, and maybe not that dramatic but still. Something. Back to the drama, the heart of the matter. B&B are the center and the center must hold, or else well...this whole thing will fall apart.
MoonlightGardenias
MoonlightGardenias
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2