Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Year of graduation?

3 posters

Go down

Year of graduation? Empty Year of graduation?

Post by RGPageantqueen Fri May 29, 2009 4:47 am

I read somewhere, that she graduated from High School in May of 1994, but that wouldn't make sense because her birthday is in october. Here the birthday cut off for kindergarten is September first. So that means that the child has to have it's fifth birthday before September 1st to be able to start that year of school otherwise you have to wait till the following year. So by this rule, Emily would of had to wait an Extra year even though she would have been five before the end of the first half of school. So technically she should have graduated school in May of 1995... Assuming California has the same rules?
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 5921
Say What You Want : There's a wild wild wind calling out my name, like a long lost friend, and there's nothing sweeter than American honey<3
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Year of graduation? Empty Re: Year of graduation?

Post by THX1138 Fri May 29, 2009 9:10 am

Emily's father, Caleb Deschanel, is a big time cinematographer, so Emily and Zooey traveled with their folks while they were growing up and I know she did part of her high school overseas. So it' s possible that when she was back in the States attending Crossroads they stuck her in class based on her level of proficiency and education instead of grouping her by age. At least that would explain why she graduated in May '94.

RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by Lo Fri May 29, 2009 9:51 am

Youre probably right RM, because my mother is british and she attended majority of her schooling overseas mostly in England (although some in Egypt, South Africa and Philippines). But when she came to the States she was 16 yrs old and she went to college at that age. So its highly likely that due to her overseas schooling she was able to be placed in a higher grade.
Lo
Lo
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 683
Say What You Want : Icon: tempertemper77 @ lj
Registration date : 2008-06-15

http://twitter.com/clairedietz

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Fri May 29, 2009 11:10 am

Lo wrote:Youre probably right RM, because my mother is british and she attended majority of her schooling overseas mostly in England (although some in Egypt, South Africa and Philippines). But when she came to the States she was 16 yrs old and she went to college at that age. So its highly likely that due to her overseas schooling she was able to be placed in a higher grade.
Thats because the majority of her schooling was overseas in other countries where students take academics a whole lot more seriously than we do here in the states. And most of her school it sounded like was done in California. I don't know the state law there, unless she was home schooled, but even then they usually based it on age/birthdate. Cause My cousins in germany came here to the states in High school, and they were both put in their class by age, and their fellow American Peers were a lot farther behind, because in other countries you are in school a lot longer and have higher expectations than in America. In America you get three months of summer vacation, whereas in China, they may get a month. They also go to school on Saturdays until 5 o'clock in the Afternoon whereas, I got out of school at 2:15.

But the law in California m ay not be the same as it is here. maybe I'll research that and report back.
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Say What You Want : There's a wild wild wind calling out my name, like a long lost friend, and there's nothing sweeter than American honey<3

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Fri May 29, 2009 11:14 am

State law in California says a child must be five by december 2 to start Kindergarten, I found it here:

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

So that explains why she graduated in 1994. She graduated 10 years before my cousin did... Smile

Wow the difference between 1994 and 2004 seems like a lot longer than 10 years...
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum