Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

100 Years, a songfic

+11
missdebra87
Zeddie
ScienceLove&Pie
ToZiKa
Aloemilk
bcriet
fairytales_end
sweetie_dude
Kasper
Francie
flyersfan35
15 posters

Go down

100 Years, a songfic Empty 100 Years, a songfic

Post by flyersfan35 Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:10 pm

This is one of my favorite songs, and I was finally inspired to write a songfic for it. I love the song, and I love Five for Fighting…and not only because they’re named after a hockey term…although that’s cool, too. Lol. Anyway, it’s kind of different, especially for me, the dialogue queen, considering there are only 8 spoken words in the entire thing…

I hope you enjoy it. I included the video for the song…if you’ve never heard it, you should really listen to it…it’s a great song. And if you have heard it…well, listen to it again. I think it’s one of those songs that will never go out of style.

100 Years, Five for Fighting

Seeley Booth sat in the rocker on the porch, his eyes pinned on the tree lined road before him. Bones would be coming soon, and he didn’t want to miss her. The afternoon was warm, even for May…summer seemed to have come early this year, but there was a light breeze blowing, causing the trees to rustle, and making the day a pleasant one.

Everyone had left not too long ago; their children, Parker and Madison and all their kids...the usual, crazy yet enjoyable Sunday get together. When they had still been living in the house in Alexandria, they had all gotten together every Sunday, but since he and Bones had moved out to the retirement community, it was too hard to coordinate, and they had to change it to once a month. But they were always there, without fail; not all of them could make it every month, but they were never without company. There was no doubt about it, he and Bones were lucky to have such a great family.

Bones had missed today, though, which was a shame, seeing as everyone had actually been able to make it this month. It was just like her; even at her advanced age, she still couldn’t be content to just sit still, she always had to be doing something. He expected her any minute though. Till then, he’d just sit here and rest.

He loved his kids, and grandkids…and even great grandkids, but they wore him out. Of course, he supposed at 90, almost everything wore him out. It still seemed amazing to him that so much time had passed. Sometimes it seemed like only yesterday that he was a child, running around the streets of Philadelphia with his brother and their friends. Smiling, he leaned back and closed his eyes, remembering.

I'm 15 for a moment
Caught in between 10 and 20
And I'm just dreaming
Counting the ways to where you are

I'm 22 for a moment
She feels better than ever
And we're on fire
Making our way back from Mars

15 there's still time for you
Time to buy and time to lose
15, there's never a wish better than this
When you only got 100 years to live

His mind drifted back to the early years. As a teenager, he had been busy dodging fights and protecting his little brother from their father’s wrath. But the memories weren’t all bad. They had some good times, too; playing army, fishing in the creek, playing baseball or street hockey in the empty lot at the end of their street. And he and Jared had been closer then. But no matter what the season, they were always outside, eager to escape the oppressive presence of their drunken father.

At 21, he had joined the army; another escape. But leaving Jared had been one of the hardest things he had ever done. His brother had begged him not to go, but in the end, for his sanity, Booth had to leave. Little did he know, he had only succeeded in trading one nightmare for another. His years in the army were harsh and demanding, but they had shaped him into the man he would become.

I'm 33 for a moment
Still the man, but you see I'm a they
A kid on the way
A family on my mind

I'm 45 for a moment
The sea is high
And I'm heading into a crisis
Chasing the years of my life

When his tour of duty had ended, he had come home to more changes and a harsh reality; Jared was grown, and disturbingly, starting to follow in their father’s footsteps. Booth had blamed himself; knowing he never should have left him. The depression that had set in from the reality of his home life and the horrors of war had manifested itself in his gambling addiction, and it led him down a path of self destruction. But then he had met Rebecca…

Rebecca had been fun, and sweet, and sexy, and he had fallen hard. She had been just what he needed to bring himself out of his depression, and start him on the road to recovery. Things were finally going right, up until Rebecca had gotten pregnant. He had been devastated when she had refused to marry him, and heartbroken over the fact that his parental rights to his son were vague and dependent on her mood. But they had eventually worked it out, thankfully, and up until her death two years earlier, they had shared a comfortable, friendly relationship.

Time to buy, Time to lose yourself
Within a morning star
15 I'm all right with you
15, there's never a wish better than this

After Rebecca, Booth had thrown himself into his work at the FBI, vowing to try to right the wrongs that he had done in his time in the army. But the job could only satisfy him for so long. No matter how hard he worked, or how long the hours, he still felt lonely and unfulfilled at the end of the day. And then he had met Temperance…his Bones. As much as he had loved Rebecca, he realized that things happen for a reason. Since the day he had met Bones, his life had never been the same. And though their relationship had started out rocky, it had slowly evolved into more…first partners, then friends, then finally, they had fallen in love.

He could still remember that day; the day they had finally stopped pretending, and acknowledged their feelings. Just another day, another case, and another night at her apartment, finishing up paperwork and eating takeout. Yet this case had hit her hard; a twelve year old girl, passed from foster home to foster home, and finally bludgeoned to death by the one person that was supposed to take care of her. And finally, that night, Temperance…his brave, strong Bones, had finally broken. He had held her, comforted her, until it had turned into something more, something they couldn’t deny any longer.

And that had been that. They had had their ups and downs, of course; it had taken them four years and numerous arguments before he had gotten her to agree to marriage, and another two before she had even considered having a child, but in the end, they had been happy. She adored Parker, and loved Madi to distraction. And despite her fears, she was an excellent mother.

Ah, Madi…he smiled as he thought of his daughter. With her red hair, piercing green eyes and a beautiful face just like her mother’s, she had had Booth wrapped around her finger since the day she was born. She was his little girl; his angel. Never mind that she was 55 and had her own grandchildren, she would always be his baby girl.

And Parker had grown into a wonderful man. He hadn’t followed Booth’s footsteps into law enforcement, but that hadn’t mattered; Booth was still so proud of his son. And Temperance had been there every step of the way, always treating him as if he were her own biological child.

Half time goes by
Suddenly you’re wise
Another blink of an eye
67 is gone
The sun is getting high
We're moving on...

Thinking back to all the plans he had had in his youth, he realized that nothing had seemed to work out the way he had planned. It had turned out that much better. He couldn’t imagine never having met Temperance, never having loved her. She was the reason he had had to endure all the other troubles in his life…they had led him to her. If he hadn’t grown up the son of an alcoholic father, enlisted in the army to escape, and gone into the FBI to right the imagined wrongs he thought he had done, he never would have met her. And she still scoffed at him, but he believed with all his heart that she was his soul mate…and she had never, in all the years since, been able to convince him otherwise.

He sighed as he remembered listening to his 17 year old great grandson that afternoon, complaining about not being old enough to do all the things he wanted to do. He had taken him aside just before they all left, telling him to savor the memories, not rush it; time flew by too quickly, and before you know it, you’re looking back and wishing you had just a little more time. Jason had just nodded; Booth knew the boy was just humoring him, but he let it go. One day he’d understand. He’d realize just how quickly life could pass you by.

I'm 99 for a moment
Dying for just another moment
And I'm just dreaming
Counting the ways to where you are

22 I feel her too
33 you’re on your way
Every day's a new day...

And now here they were, spending their last years together, still as much in love today as they had been over 50 years ago. Feeling a light touch on his arm, Booth opened his eyes to find his wife standing beside him, looking as beautiful as ever. He smiled up at her. “Hey Bones.”

She smiled back, and it was if she were young again. “Are you ready?” she asked.

Slipping his hand into her outstretched one, he stood. “More than ready” he answered. They walked down the steps of the porch hand in hand and continued out into the late May sunshine.

An hour later, when the nurse came to take him in to supper, she found the recent widower leaning back in his chair with a small smile on his face, not breathing and unresponsive. Smiling sadly, she thought of the handsome man with the sparkling eyes; he had lasted a bit longer than she had thought. It had been two months since he had lost his wife; two months that he had pined for her. Now, they could both be at peace.

Time to buy and time to choose
Hey 15, there's never a wish better than this

Last edited by flyersfan35 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Number of posts : 68808
Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

Closing time - time for you to go back to the places you will be from.
Closing time - this room won't be open 'til your brothers or your sisters come.
So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.
Closing time - every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

100 Years, a songfic Empty Re: 100 Years, a songfic

Post by Francie Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:19 pm

ok...can I just say...WOW...that brought me to tears woman...sigh...nice...
Francie
Francie
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4722
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasper Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:24 pm

Nice.
Kasper
Kasper
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 12859
Say What You Want : For British eyes only
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetie_dude Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:27 pm

omg! that was amazing fly. Just wow. that was great. you exceed our expectations EVERYTIME. so sad Sad but really good. and i love this song too Smile.
sweetie_dude
sweetie_dude
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1887
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by fairytales_end Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:31 pm

AW!!! I loved it Fly! You should try writing more like this! It was brilliant *cry* So sweet! Old Bones and Booth! AW!!!!
Okay, I'm done now Razz
fairytales_end
fairytales_end
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 15296
Say What You Want : I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane.
Registration date : 2008-12-26

http://fairytales-end.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks franice, kas, sweetie and casey. But casey, I really don't think I can write that way...it's really not my thing. And actually, I finally did the one thing I always swore I would never do... But I'm glad you liked it.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.

Back to top Go down

Post by bcriet Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:32 pm

That was a great story you made me cry...but it was nice to have them together again at the end. *LOVES*
bcriet
bcriet
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 197
Say What You Want : \"It is far better to regret doing something, than to regret not doing something\".
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Aloemilk Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:39 pm

Oh, fly!
that was just... great Smile it reminded me of The Notebook! and that's right on the top of my fav I-want-a-good-cry movies.

what can I say, I can't help but cry when I read/watch/hear about losing your partner in life. and this was really touching!

I wish it *were* your thing.
Aloemilk
Aloemilk
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3437
Say What You Want : Booth's nickname as given by the cops? Boring, short lived Quark, haha
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by fairytales_end Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:49 pm

Loe!

And that's what it was! It reminded me of something...I just couldn't think of what! The Notebook!!!!

So sweet Smile

Fly, I still think you should try writing like this more too...Although I do love all your writing in general
fairytales_end
fairytales_end
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 15296
Say What You Want : I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane.
Registration date : 2008-12-26

http://fairytales-end.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:22 am

that is soo sad and still it is also really perfect....they had a good life together, they were happy and in love till the end....and now he followed her into death....
I really like this story, fly

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 37397
Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ScienceLove&Pie Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:42 am

Awww! I loved it! Epic poems are my favorite!
ScienceLove&Pie
ScienceLove&Pie
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 98
Say What You Want : BEST QUOTE EVER: "No. No. No. I can't walk away. I never said that! Okay? Do you understand? I can't walk away! This is my kid! If I can't be involved I don't want her to have the baby!"
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeddie Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:18 am

I loved that Fly! it made me cry at the end!! reminded me of the Notebook too!!
Zeddie
Zeddie
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 12060
Say What You Want : Fanfiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done
in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk.
-- Henry Jenkins
100 Years, a songfic 8d0b0409962e33290be09e7890718bde2b3c7fe1
Registration date : 2009-01-08

http://www.fanfiction.net/~csiloverzed

Back to top Go down

Post by missdebra87 Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:47 pm

Such a sad story, yet so amazing. Very well written.
missdebra87
missdebra87
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 16433
Say What You Want : Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, Teacher Certification, Departmental Recognition, Magna Cum Laude
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:11 pm

Fly, you're trying to do me in. Mama had me balling the other day; you have me balling now! I've always been a big crybaby, and this stuff just plain ol' hurts. Sad It's wonderful...

I remember when I was 4, maybe 5 years old, laying on the living room floor watching TV, and just as soon as "The Yearling" finished I went dashing out of the house so nobody would see me crying. I think that was the first broken heart I ever had.
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:23 am

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed it...and sorry that I made you cry. Don't worry, it will never happen again...
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianBones Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:05 am

very sweet and touching...add me to list of cryers.
CanadianBones
CanadianBones
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1266
Say What You Want : they shouldn't be doing that on the forensic platform. - brennan
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopGirl Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:01 am

Read it over at FF - great story!

SnoopGirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9669
Say What You Want : Snoop I love you DB's Smile Smile

Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianBones Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:49 am

just wanted to add that i've been listening to the song all weekend and bawling each time...this story also reminded me of my grandparents. They were married for 64 years and my Grandpapa always doted on my Nano everyday and was always by her side right up until she passed away at 90. I know he enjoyed getting a little bit of freedom back after she passed but I also know that he missed her dearly and was just waiting to see her again. He passed away just under 2 years after she did 2 weeks shy of he's 95th birthday. This song also reminds me of a friend who passed away last month very suddenly at 22.

Booth and Brennan aren't even real people but the way you wrote about them I feel it really captured their deep connection and love for each other that we are just starting to see now. The way you wrote this it almost makes me believe they are real people.
CanadianBones
CanadianBones
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1266
Say What You Want : they shouldn't be doing that on the forensic platform. - brennan
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:02 am

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate the comments, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Like I said, it's kind of different for me, so I'm glad I was able to capture B&B. Thanks again.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by southerngirl Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:43 am

That was wonderful!

southerngirl
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down