Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's in a name? Fluffy romance just-for-fun fic rated T just in case - By Jremme Posted 09/04/2008 03:59:03 PM

Go down

What's in a name? Fluffy romance just-for-fun fic rated T just in case - By Jremme Posted 09/04/2008 03:59:03 PM Empty What's in a name? Fluffy romance just-for-fun fic rated T just in case - By Jremme Posted 09/04/2008 03:59:03 PM

Post by Turi ray of sunshine Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:21 pm

This is just a fun little fic I started because the idea popped into my head and wouldn't leave me be until I typed it out! It's just for fun, so enjoy!! =)

Chapter 1: fliers

Dr. Temperance Brennan entered the Jeffersonian Medico-Legal lab only to be confronted with a flier taped on the wall, one of many around the area. She scanned it for a moment, her brow furrowing. She then ripped it off the wall, and strode down the hall, coming to a stop in front Dr. Daniel Goodman’s office door, the flier clutched in her hand. She knocked twice.

“Enter,” said the voice from within.

She pushed the door open and stalked inside, laying the slightly crumpled flier on the desk in front of him.

“Can I assist you with something Dr. Brennan?”

“What is the meaning of this?”

“The meaning of it is clearly written on the flier itself. For the benefactor’s ball this year, the powers that be want a performance. And we will be giving them that performance. Auditions will be held this afternoon at the time mentioned on the flier.”

Brennan’s shoulders slumped. “This is ridiculous. We are scientists, not actors. If they want a play, why not hire an acting troupe to perform?”

“The board was most insistent on the Jeffersonian employees taking up the roles. I’m not in a position to deny them. I’ve taken the liberty of sending a flier to Agent Booth as well, as he is usually involved in these things as well. And you might also mention it to Agent Sullivan. He did work with you for a brief period of time.”

“But, Dr, Goodman…”

“No arguments, Temperance. Involvement in the auditions is mandatory. As director of both the play and this institution, I will make all casting decisions. I will see you this afternoon for your audition.”

Brennan glared at him, turned on her heel, and left the office in a huff. She knew how Goodman was when it came to the benefactors. What they wanted they got. This was no different. She made her way to her office, and had just gotten settled at her desk when Angela burst in.

“Sweetie! Have you seen the fliers? This is gonna so fun! I haven’t done theater since college. I was in Gypsy.”

“Were you the lead?”

“No, but I was one of the showgirls. It was fun!”

“I don’t see why it had to be Romeo & Juliet. It’s so cliché.”

“Sweetie, Romeo & Juliet is a timeless love story and a great play. Please tell me you’re going to audition.”

“Goodman’s forcing me. I think I’ll just try out for a ball guest or townsperson or something.”

“No, you’re trying out for Juliet with me! We need to represent our department. My goal is to have our entire team in major roles. No walk-ons for us.”

“Goodman suggested I speak to Sully about auditioning.”

“I thought this was just for Jeffersonian employees.” Angela narrowed her eyes. She liked Sully; she really did. It was just that he had impeded her ultimate goal of getting her best friend together with her partner.

“Apparently Goodman thinks that my working with Sully several times is enough of a connection for him to be involved. He’s bringing Booth in on it too.”

The gleam in Angela’s eyes returned at that statement.

“I gotta go! I’ll see you at the auditions, ok sweetie?”

Brennan held up a hand in acknowledgement, and watched as Angela bounced out the door and began animatedly to Zach and Hodgins, neither of whom looked overly thrilled at the prospect of putting on a play.

Hodgins, in particular, began arguing with her. Brennan could tell by the way he was gesturing. He made a move down the hallway toward Goodman’s office and it took both Angela and Zach pulling on him to keep him from going. Brennan smirked. Hodgins wouldn’t get any further with Goodman than she had. At least they were all in this together.

She picked up her phone and dialed Sully’s number. Odds were he’d be busy with. He always seemed to have one project or another going on. After they’d spoken, she hung up the phone, ignoring his endearments at the end of the conversation, surprised.

Sully had seemed very open to the idea, and had promised to be there for the auditions. He said his high school had put on Romeo & Juliet when he was 17. He hadn’t gotten the lead, but had always wanted to take another crack at it.

There was a knock at her office door, and Booth entered without waiting for a reply. He took one look at her and made the connection between her mood and the fliers strewn about the lab.

“I take it you’ve read the fliers.”

“Yes, did you get yours?”

“I did. There’s no way I’m participating in this. At all. It’s stupid.”

“Goodman’s making me,” Brennan sulked. “You could probably get away with not being involved though.”

“What are you going to audition for?”

“Angela wants me to audition for Juliet. You know, I’d feel a bit better about this whole thing if it weren’t Romeo & Juliet. Why couldn’t it be Titus Andronicus or King Lear, or even something non-Shakespearean?”

“Non-Shakespearean? You mean like Rent or something?”

“Well, yes, only not a musical. That would be even worse I think. I doubt Sully would be interested, let alone the Jeffersonian employees.”

“Well, I just wanted to stop by and let Goodman know I wasn’t going to be involved in this. I’ve got a mountain of paperwork waiting for me. I’ll see you later Bones.” He moved for the door, then stopped, his hand on the knob, rewinding the conversation.

“Did you say Sully?”

“Yes, Goodman suggested he audition because of his, albeit limited, connection to the Jeffersonian. I ran it by him and he seemed very interested in auditioning for the lead.”

“The lead as in…Romeo?” Booth’s eyes narrowed ever so slightly.

“Yes. Romeo. He’s going to be at the auditions this afternoon. If you’d like, I can tell Goodman that you won’t be there so you can get back to your office.”

“You know what, Bones, never mind. I will be there.”

“But, you said…”

“I know what I said Bones. But I think I might give it a shot.”

“What would you audition for?” she asked, but he was already gone.

otismotis
Squint
Posted 10/04/2008 10:18:20 AM

Oh....I like where this is going. Nothing like alpha males competiting for the ultimate prize....in this case Bones. Can't wait to see more.
Turi ray of sunshine
Turi ray of sunshine
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 39283
Say What You Want : Just another cashew in a town of mixed nuts
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

What's in a name? Fluffy romance just-for-fun fic rated T just in case - By Jremme Posted 09/04/2008 03:59:03 PM Empty Re: What's in a name? Fluffy romance just-for-fun fic rated T just in case - By Jremme Posted 09/04/2008 03:59:03 PM

Post by Turi ray of sunshine Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:22 pm

Posted 12/04/2008 10:55:09 AM

Thanks so much for reading!!! Here's chap 2. Enjoy!! =)

Chapter 2: Cast list

The time for the auditions drew near, and Brennan banged her forehead against her desk. There was no use hiding; Goodman would come after her. She stood up and walked out of her office, only to find a stack of papers on a table on the platform. She picked one up and noted that it was a list of characters and sample lines for each to be read at the auditions.

Angela came over to her, carrying one of the papers. “Almost time, sweetie! You’ll need that to read from. We’re the first department to audition.” She glanced around. “I’ve already rounded up Zach, but I can’t find Hodgins anywhere. Have you seen him?”

“Most likely he’s hiding somewhere in a futile attempt to avoid the auditions,” Brennan said. “I’d check the closets and the basement.”

Angela nodded and headed off to find the bug man. Brennan noticed Zach in a corner, looking at one of the sheets. He glanced up at her.

“I can’t decide what to audition for. Angela says it has to be a main part.”

Brennan thought for a moment. “How about Benvolio? That might work for you.”

Zach shook his head slowly. “Perhaps. I was considering Paris, but Angela says he doesn’t have enough stage time and lines.”

Brennan gave him an encouraging look, or what she hoped was encouraging, looking up when she heard the front doors. Sully came in, smiling at her. She met him in front of the platform and they went up together.

“Am I on time?”

“You’re fine.” She handed him one of the papers so he could study it before the auditions.

Angela returned then with Hodgins in tow.

“You weren’t supposed to find me! I didn’t want to be found!”

“Hodgins, you know Goodman isn’t going to let you out of this, so take one of these, and join the rest of us in our joint misery,” Brennan said, handing him a paper. He growled in his throat and snatched the sheet from her hand.

“Hey, I’m not miserable! This is going to be great!” Angela said happily.

Sully jerked a thumb at her. “I’m with Angela. This should be a good time.”

Brennan shook her head, and began eyeing the role of the Nurse. Despite Angela’s wanting her to audition for Juliet, the Nurse’s role was smaller, but still considered a main role. She was sure Angela wouldn’t let her audition for Lady Capulet, an even smaller role, so the Nurse might have to do.

Booth trooped through the doors then, and stomped up to the platform. Angela handed him a sheet and he eyed Romeo’s sample lines skeptically.

“Ok, I have no idea what any of this says.”

“You’ve never read Romeo & Juliet?” Brennan asked.

“In high school. Sort of.”

Brennan frowned. “Sort of?”

“Yea, let’s just say my heart wasn’t all that into it.”

Sully looked at him and grinned. “Cliff’s Notes?”

“Cliff’s Notes.”

Brennan looked from one to the other, confused. They both knew someone named Cliff in high school, and had used his notes?

“Did you two go to the same high school?” she asked.

Booth stared at her. “No, Bones. I don’t think so.”

At that moment Dr. Goodman appeared and announced the beginning of the auditions.

“Mr. Addy. You’re up first.”

Zach paled, but stood up and followed Goodman down the hallway to his office, which was serving as the audition room.

When he came back, Goodman was behind him to collect the next person. Zach still appeared nervous, but at the same was relieved that he’d gotten his audition out of the way.

“Agent Booth,” Goodman gestured down the hallway.

“Wish me luck, Bones.”

“Luck has nothing to do with it. The results are bound to be based on Goodman’s well intentioned if not biased opinion of our auditions.”

“Just say good luck Bones. Please.”

“Good luck Booth.”

“Thank you.” He trotted off after Goodman, and when they came back, he looked incredibly sure of himself.

“I aced it! I’m tellin’ ya, all you are lookin’ at the next Romeo!”

Sully eyed him. “You auditioned for Romeo?”

“Well yea, what can I say, I’m just leading man material.”

“I’m auditioning for Romeo too.” Sully’s eyes narrowed in challenge.

“Well, sorry to break it to you, buddy, but you may as well audition for something else, cause I got this one in the bag.” He smiled confidently.

“Dr. Brennan?” Goodman’s voice floated to her from across the platform. She sighed and followed him into his office. She ended up auditioning for both Juliet and the Nurse, and when she came back, Goodman announced that it was Hodgins’ turn.

“Dr. Goodman, I was thinking that it’s been awhile since a sizable donation was made to the Jeffersonian. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s high time someone stepped up.”

“Would you be volunteering that donation Dr. Hodgins?”

“I would.”

“Would this donation also double as a bribe to get out of this performance?”

“Yes, yes it would.”

“Feel free to donate as much as you want Dr. Hodgins, but no amount of money will get you out of this. I hope you have a role picked out to audition for. Follow me please.” Hodgins reluctantly followed Goodman to his office, and Brennan turned to Angela.

“Does he have a role picked out?”

“Yea, after he began to realize that his childish antics wouldn’t get him anywhere, I talked him into one role, and that was a hard sell.”

“Which one?”

“Mercutio. The ‘plague o’ both your houses’ line appealed to him.” She shrugged, and began murmuring Juliet’s lines to herself. Then she turned back to Brennan.

“How do you think your audition went?”

“I think it went ok. I’m no actress, but I don’t think I did too badly.”

Hodgins returned, and Goodman called for Angela. She smiled and sauntered after Goodman, hoping she could give a good audition.

“So, Bones, think you’re going to get Juliet?” Booth had sat down beside her, and although the question was asked casually, there was intensity in his eyes that demanded an answer.

“I can’t say for certain. I believe my audition was sufficient.” She shrugged her indifference.

Angela came back then, still grinning from ear to ear. She sat on the other side of Brennan.

“How was your audition, Ange?”

“I think it went great! He had me read for Lady Capulet and the Nurse too.”

Brennan gave her friend’s hand a squeeze, and looked up as Sully came over to her, after being called by Goodman.

“Well, here I go, Tempe.” He smiled at her and kissed her cheek. Brennan smiled back, but it wasn’t entirely genuine. She’d been having second thoughts about their relationship for awhile. He was just...well, trying too hard. But she didn’t want to tell him yet. It was better to wait until after the play was finished. Otherwise things could get awkward.

When Sully returned, he walked with an air of confidence similar to Booth’s. Apparently both were convinced they would get the lead role. It was interesting to Brennan to observe the looks they shot each other when the other one wasn’t looking. Clearly, they were involved in some sort of competition for the lead. Brennan shook her head. You didn’t see her and Angela behaving like this over the role of Juliet. It was ridiculous and amusing at the same time.

Goodman announced that the cast list would be posted in all departments at the close of the auditions, and left for the Paleontology Department.

Brennan stood up. “Ok, let’s get started on the remains Zach brought up from Limbo.” She glanced at Sully and Booth, neither of whom had moved.

“Don’t you two have things to do?”

“Nope,” Booth stated, Sully nodding in agreement. Brennan turned away, stifling a chuckle. Neither wanted to miss the appearance of the cast list.

Later that afternoon, Angela noticed a sheet of paper taped to the wall with the words ‘Cast List’ on it. Eagerly, she ripped it from the wall and called everyone to her office to read the roles. Brennan stood between Sully and Booth, feeling them shooting glares at each other across her.

It made her slightly uncomfortable, but it was probably better that someone was standing between them. Angela cleared her throat and began speaking.

“Ok, everyone, here we go! The role of Benvolio will be played by Zach.” Zach allowed himself a grin and Brennan shot him a quick smile.

“Mercutio will be played by Hodgins.” Hodgins rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, but even so, he looked pleased with himself.

“Ha, Goodman’s going to be Friar Laurence.” A chuckle ran through the room.

“Sweetie, you’re going to be the Nurse.” Brennan nodded, noting the surprised looks on the faces of the men on either side of her.

“I’m going to be Juliet.” Brennan gave her friend a smile, receiving one in return.

“Booth, you’re Tybalt, and Sully, you’re Romeo. This is great! We all got big parts!” She squealed happily. Brennan glanced at Booth and Sully. Sully looked happy, and Booth was clearly in shock. She felt sorry for him, but perhaps Sully was better for the role. He’d acted in Romeo & Juliet before, after all.

Angela handed out the scrïpts that had appeared outside her office, and sat looking at hers. Her eyes widened, concern etched on her face.

“Uh, sweetie, could I talk to you for a minute?” Brennan came over.

“I’ve read this play before, but I really forgot how many lines Juliet had. I don’t think I can memorize all these.” She looked worried, scared even.

“You’ll be fine Ange. I’ll help you.”

“I don’t know.” Angela shook her head. “Do you think you could switch roles with me? Please.”

Brennan looked at her friend, clearly distressed about the situation. “All right Ange. I’ll switch with you. But you need to clear it with Goodman, ok?”

“No problem. Thank you!” She gave her friend a hug, and left to talk to Goodman. When she came back, she gave Brennan a thumbs-up, and settled back down to go over the role of the Nurse.

“What was that about?” Booth asked, coming up behind her.

“I switched roles with Angela. I’m Juliet now.”

Booth glanced from her to Sully and back to her again. “Oh, that’s great Bones.” He couldn’t hide the disappointment in his voice. Brennan didn’t pick up on it, but Angela did. She’d have to do something to remedy it as soon as possible.
Turi ray of sunshine
Turi ray of sunshine
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 39283
Say What You Want : Just another cashew in a town of mixed nuts
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down