Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:44 am

Hehe I've started another one! I have no clue where I am going to go with it, but it could be rather cute. Well there are two directions I could go, thought I prefer to take the road less cheesy (damn mice). Anywho, let me know what you think!

Chapter 1. Applications

Dr. Temperance Brennan, possessor of three doctorates, sat at her desk staring at the three huge stacks of manila folders sitting at her desk. As she tossed another into the recycling bin next to the door, Seeley Booth strode inside.

“What the hell? I didn’t take you for the spring-cleaning type. Always thought that your office was so clean you’d never need to.”

“Very funny Booth. Cam decided that I should take on a high school intern this summer to promote science research amongst school children. She only decided to tell me after the deadline for applications closed.”

Booth took a few of the folders that missed the garbage can and sat on the couch. “So what’s included in this internship anyway?”

She rifled through some of the papers and produced a bright yellow sheet of paper. “The Jeffersonian Institute is providing one qualified high school student with the chance to work with the leading anthropologist in the nation. Dr. Temperance Brennan, best selling author of Bred in the Bone, is looking for a student willing to spend two months working under her as she attempts to identify the bones of previously unknown people. Along with a wealth of knowledge and a great opportunity, a $5,000 stipend will be awarded to the intern. Blah, blah, blah…”

“Jeez, whoever wrote sounds like they are trying to butter people up.”

“No kidding. Sounds like they should be writing for the next presidential election.”

Brennan returned to reading the applicants. Booth flipped through the files, looking at the transcrďpts of the applicants. Curiously he briefly scanned the essays and became curious. “Bones, what’s wrong with these people? Their grades are excellent, involved in school, many destined for Ivy League schools. They seem like the perfect candidates…”

“They would Booth, but often they aren’t. I find that over time, many are looking for the quick money. They aren’t in it for the love of the science, just a great looking thing to put on a college application. I want to work with someone that appreciates what they do, what the scientific community does, and one day wants to work in science because they love it, not the good pay check.”

Booth smiled at her. “Nicely put Bones.” He gestured to the stack on the desk. “So um do you need any help?”

She looked up at him and thought. Sure he was good at judging people and there were a lot of applications… “Sure Booth, just grab a few files and just let me know if there is anyone you see fit.” He nodded and grabbed a few files before returning to the couch.

Four hours, five cartons of takeout Chinese food, and hundreds of applicants later, only very few were good enough to land in the possible applicant pile. In fact, only five lay there.

Booth rubbed the sleep from his eyes and yawned before looking up at Brennan. “Bones, I think that you are going to have settle really soon. I have not seen one distinct applicant yet.”

She held up a finger to signal for him to hold on and then smiled. “I think I’ve found the lucky applicant.” Booth stood up and papers fell from his lap, but he didn’t care. Brennan laid the file on the desk. Booth reviewed the file before looking at her.

“She sounds a lot like you. Lots of big words. And looking towards the future. I think she’ll fit in perfectly here.” He looked at his watch. “Damn, I gotta do laundry so I have clothes for tomorrow. I catch ya later Bones?” She nodded and waved goodbye when he left.

She reviewed the file of Lily Walsh, a high school junior from New Hampshire. According to her high school transcrďpt, she was an excellent student, accelerating in the science and math courses at her high school. Her essay described her passion of science and explaining how she loved science from a young age. As Brennan read the essay she knew that this girl was perfect for the internship. She picked up her phone to call the girl and then noticed that it was half past ten. She shrugged and decided that she should at least leave a message; the girl would probably be rather excited.

She dialed the number and after a few rings, she was surprised to hear her actually answer the phone.

“Yep, hello?” she said. Brennan could hear a soft piano in the background and she tried to identify the piece.

“Hi, is this Lily Walsh?”

“Yes,” she replied hesitantly. The music in the background stopped. “And you are?”

“Oh yes, sorry. I’m Temperance Brennan. I’ve called to let you know that I’ve chosen you to come join my team for the summer internship.”

“Oh. Um, about that…” her voice trailed off and Brennan heard her exhale deeply. “Yeah I applied for that as a joke.” She laughed nervously to herself. “I could never afford to go down there and stay down there. Let alone ever be picked.”

“Oh,” replied Brennan slightly shocked. “Well, are you interested in doing it?”

“Of course! Working with you is a once in a lifetime opportunity!”
“Okay, I am going to talk to my boss to see if I can work something out.”

“Wow, thanks a lot.”

“Of course. I’ll call you back tomorrow. Have a good night.”

“Thank you. You too.” Brennan hung up the phone and looked at the rest of the pile. She would talk to Cam tomorrow morning to see if she could get some money for the girl so that she could actually take part in the internship.

“Though, I suppose I should keep these just in case.” She looked at them once more and then shook her head. “Nah.” She picked them up and placed the rest in the recycling bin before heading out for the night.[b]
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2130
Say What You Want : Wow, I am so very sad that I missed the closure of this site.... I have no idea if anyone is able to read this, or if all hope of a goodbye is lost. In any case, I'd like to say thanks to all those who were a big part of my life. Regretfully, I haven't been on here for a long time, yet I doubt that anyone would begrudge the decision. Thank you, Willi, for providing us with an outlet, a meeting place, a home ♥
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty Glug Glug Woohoo wrote

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:44 am

Wow this is really great kas! I can't wait to see where you go with it!
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Say What You Want : Wow, I am so very sad that I missed the closure of this site.... I have no idea if anyone is able to read this, or if all hope of a goodbye is lost. In any case, I'd like to say thanks to all those who were a big part of my life. Regretfully, I haven't been on here for a long time, yet I doubt that anyone would begrudge the decision. Thank you, Willi, for providing us with an outlet, a meeting place, a home ♥

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty jerseybones wrote

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:45 am

Just in case anyone couldn't understand why we were all so eager for you to post another story, this is the start of a perfect example. Please keep it up kas.
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty flyersfan wrote

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:46 am

Wait....you're driving me crazy! OMG, I soooo have to go to work, but I have to say...amazing! Hehe, you are so sneaky!

Gee, lets see...a girl with a love of science...super smart...good grades...internship...sound like anyone you know? lol!

How many more presents will I find as I look down the fanfic page....
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty nane wrote

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:46 am

Fly, those were exactly my thought....
Kas, you are doing a great job, should do it more often. Sounds very interesting, could involve some Zach(arose)...took a little speelling liberty...
Please write more soon....after unwrapping your presents of course!
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty miller0259 wrote

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:47 am

ohh...I like this idea! I can't wait for more!
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty saraluvzbonz wrote

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:47 am

Excellent start. I bet Cam will be mad.
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty Virpukka wrote

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:48 am

Dear Kasper

Please continue this fic! I can't wait to read more! Please. Write. More. Soon.
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty jerseybones wrote

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:48 am

yeah kas, do you have another chapter? fall into the mesmerizing glow of the computer screen and let the fingers type. The words will come just keep looking at that wonderful computer glow.

OOOHHHHH, I like the pretty lights.
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:49 am

Sigh. Still no new chapter in here........
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty flyersfan35 wrote

Just posting so that you can find this story quickly, kas...wouldn't want you to have to look for it, cuz I'm sure you'll be posting soon...no pressure, or anything, tho...
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Oops, don't want this getting too far down the page....wouldn't want it to get lost! lol!
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty flyerfan35 wrote

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:50 am

*grumbles* Now how did this get buried again....
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty CheeseBK wrote

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:50 am

helps bumping this fic, cause an update would be freaking GREAT!

but kas, really, missy, you have some serious explanation to do, regarding this:

"thought I prefer to take the road less cheesy"

what the heck is wrong with CHEESY fanfics Smile *lol*
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:51 am

Okay, this one is back...and you're updated one is missing....

Haha, it's like a surprise...which fic will be gone next? lol

Anywhoo....it's National Handwriting Day, my sweet ghosty girl...so, get handwriting! lol
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:51 am

I had that problem too, Flyers... one of my fics was gone, and a few minutes later it was back again... weird!!
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty Kasper wrote

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:54 am

Well maybe I can start writing again if I ever got unlazy.. I sorta know where I want to take this, just not how to get there...

Chapter 3. First Time

Cam sat in her office very confused. Booth had angrily strode in just seconds after Brennan left, disgusted. She had heard of no one else giving out mentors, in fact, this was the fifth year it was done at the Jeffersonian and the first year it got kicked down to her. It’s not like she was punishing Dr. Brennan, she just thought the Dr. Brennan. Now curious, she picked up her phone and dialed Cullen. After getting through his secretary, she was patched through to his office.

“Cullen,” said the man on the other side in a gruff tone.

“Hi, this is Dr. Saroyan from the Jeffersonian. Can I ask you a question?”

“You already have, so what’s one more?”
Cam rolled her eyes at his manners. “Agent Booth came into my office claiming that I called you and told you about the internship we were doing.”

“Well he’s a cocky young agent isn’t he. No, I gave him the intern kid because one, he’s the best fro the job, and two, I hope that maybe the kid’ll teach him a thing or two.”

“Oh okay. Well we shall see what happens. Have a good day sir.”

“You too Doctor.”

June arrived with a bang, literally. The worst thunderstorms in years rolled through the DC metropolitan area, flooding streets and killing power to many residents. It was on one of those days that Brennan was sitting in the lab, with the backup power on. Everyone else was sent home and only the important machinery still had the power running. Not that it stopped Brennan from working by flashlight.

“I knew I’d find you here,” he said when he appeared as a shadowy contour in the darkening lab.

“Good afternoon Booth,” she replied, shining the flashlight in his face. He covered his eyes.

“Damn Bones, that hurts.” She turned the flashlight away from him and back on her notes. “So I brought someone here with me.” Booth’s contour stepped to the side to reveal another of equal height. “Theron Girard, meet Dr. Temperance Brennan, my partner.” Just then, the lights returned to the room and Brennan noticed the young man standing in front of her. He was dressed like Booth, ironed shirt and slacks, with a tie hanging loose around the neck. His hair was gelled to the side, making him look much more mature than his seventeen years. In fact, he looked as Brennan thought Booth would have looked like in high school.

“Dr. Brennan, nice to meet you. My mother is a big fan of your books.”

“Thank you Theron.”

“Please, call me Theo.”

“ Well then Theo, I’d show you around the lab, but it seems that everyone has gone home for the day due to the power outage. Snow check?” Brennan asked as she extended her hand.

Theo shook her hand with a perplexed look and was about to open his mouth to say something when Booth grabbed him by the shoulders and steered him out of the lab.

“Bye!” called Brennan from her office.

Out in the parking lot Theo got in the passenger seat of the car and turned to Booth. “Did she really say ‘snow check’?’

Booth laughed. “Bones, Dr. Brennan as you know her, is a little eh pop culture lacking.”

“Oh, I see. Another question, why do you call her Bones?”

“I don’t know, calling her Brennan seemed weird and I thought it was creative.”

“And she liked it?”

“Well not at first, but she grew to like it.”

“I see.”

Brennan ran from her car to the airport terminal using a broken umbrella in attempt to keep something dry from the large water droplets that fell from the sky. She nearly made it inside, but not before stepping in a large puddle at the curb and soaked the bottom of her pants. She swore under her breath and hurried inside the terminal. Lily´s flight landed ten minutes prior and Brennan hoped to catch up to her to start things off right. She stopped in front of the large board to find that all flights had been delayed due to the storms. She sighed and looked for a newspaper stand; she knew she was going to be there a while.

Three hours, two coffees, and a romance novel later, Brennan heard the call for Lily’s flight. She stood and headed for the security stop where she told Lily she’d be waiting. Businessmen, families, and tourists passed her as she stood to the side and scanned the crowd for her. Lily had sent a picture through email to her a month earlier when they set up the travel arrangements. She was a pretty girl, Brennan could tell, with brown hair and a glowing face, her smile didn’t show anything relating to the issues she had gone through as listed in her essay.

Then she noticed a girl coming through the area with two bags. She wore a Red Sox T-shirt and had a lightweight jacket on. She put her bags down and looked up, apparently looking for Brennan.

“Lily!” called Brennan as she approached her. Lily picked up her bags. “Hi, it’s me, Dr. Brennan.”

“Hi,” said Lily quietly.

“It’s nice to finally see you in person,” added Brennan. She stretched her hand out to take a bag from Lily, but she recoiled slightly.

“It’s okay, I’ve got them.” Brennan shrugged and gestured for them to start walking.

“Well it’s late so I suppose that you’ll want to head to a comfortable bed.” They started walking towards the parking lot. The rain clouds gave way to cool weather and clear skies, making it seem like a picturesque scene in a movie. Brennan hit the beeper button on her car and opened the trunk.

“Here, I’ll put your things in the trunk.” Brennan smiled as she took her bags and added them to the trunk.

Brennan took glances at Lily at red lights and noticed that Lily’s gaze remained out the window, seemingly distant. She was afraid to push it early in the summer so decided to let it slide.

“Do you want anything to eat? There’s a great pizza place near me.”

“Thank you, pizza sounds good.” Brennan stopped at Mike’s pizza and the tow shared four slices and two Cokes. Afterwards, they headed straight for the apartment.

“Well, welcome to your new home. I tried to stock up the fridge, please watch anything you want, eat anything you want, use anything you want. My house is now your house.” She pointed to the room down the hall. “Your bedroom is the room down the hall and to the right. I’ve put on fresh sheet and laid out towels for you and everything. Just let me know if you need anything.”

“Thanks again, but I think I’ll just go to bed.” And with that, she shut the door to her room for the night.
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:54 am

Oh, kas...once again, you underestimate yourself! I love this story, I know I've told you before, but really, I mean it. Can't wait to see what you come up with..

And omg, lmao at the 'snow check'! Hehe, so funny...it took me a second, (you know I'm a bit slow)...

And really, I know I'm bad, cuz you really should be doing your hw, but....I'm glad you posted!!!
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:55 am

oh finally an update!! wohoo
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:55 am

Finally...and gosh that was good. Please keep writing these!!!!!

But this is chapter 3, or that it says. Should there be chapter 2 also?? I'm confused.
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:56 am

It is chapter 3...this fic disappeared, so she reposted it, and posted chapter 2 there, then this one showed up again...

Anyway, I will bump the other one for you so you can read chapter 2.
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty beaglelvr93 wrote

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:57 am

Yay! SOOOO glad you posted, Kas. LOVED IT! Now we just have to get the kids together, so to speak. Smile

B
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty space wrote

Awesome Kas! Glad you updated... so what's up with Lily? Can't wait for more!!
Damn the HW!!
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Thanks flyersfan35!
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty Kasper wrote

Post by RollOnFriday Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:00 am

In order to avoid confusion, not that it would help, here is chapter 2.

Chapter 2. Arguments

Brennan arrived at the Jeffersonian at the same time as every day except instead of heading to her office, she went to Cam’s office. She knocked and entered when Cam gave permission.

“Good morning Dr. Brennan,” she greeted. “Have you chosen a lucky applicant yet?”

“Yes I have actually. But there is an issue.” She sat in the chair across from Cam’s desk. “She’s from New Hampshire and can’t afford the air fare to come down here. I was wondering if the Jeffersonian could finance her trip down here.”

Cam regarded her for a few minutes. “Dr. Brennan, I’ve looked through a few of the files before turning it over to you. I know there are many applicants that have money Dr. Brennan. Can’t you just pick one of them?”

Brennan looked at Cam with a look of disgust. “No, of all the candidates I find that this one is the most qualified as all. I don’t think that financial issues should prevent someone from an opportunity of a lifetime.”

Cam smiled. “To be honest Dr. Brennan, I am leaving for a vacation tomorrow and handing out money would require a lot of paperwork, which would conflict with my vacation. Do you see where I am going with this?”

“No Cam I don’t. I expected better from you. Forget it, I’ll finance everything myself.” Brennan picked up her bag and stormed out of the office.

On the way down to her office she bumped into Booth who also seemed to be in a huff. “Sorry Booth,” muttered Brennan.

“Hey Bones, do you know if Cam talked to Cullen?”

“Why would I know Booth?”

He waved a file in her face. “Because someone thought it was funny to give me the stupid intern for the summer. Now I will have some kid following me around, cramping my style.”

“Well good at least you’ll know how it feels.” She stormed across the lab, ignoring Booth’s shouts as she slammed the door to her office closed.

It was only eight in the morning and she assumed that Lily was in school so she decided to hold off until later in the afternoon.

Booth entered the FBI building that morning feeling at the top of the world. He had one foot through the threshold of his office and a doughnut in his mouth when he heard his name called.

“Agent Booth, my office now,” announced Cullen, and without a glance, headed down to his office. With a groan he returned the bitten doughnut to the bag and headed to Cullen’s.

“Booth, take a seat.” Both men were seated on the opposite side of the desk. Cullen passed a folder over to Booth.

“New case sir?”

“No Booth, just take a look.” Booth obliged and opened the file. Inside was a picture of a young male, no older than 16 years of age.

“Is this kid under arrest or something?”

“No Agent Booth, he is not. Theo Girard is a top student at a local high school. This year he was chosen as a federal agent intern. Usually this is kicked down to someone low on the totem pole and all but recent complaints indicate that it is rather boring. So now I’ve turned to you. I trust that you can handle showing a teenager how it goes, and giving him a good sense of what it means to be an FBI agent.”

“But sir, I don’t want a kid slowing me down. And sometimes our cases get rather out of hand. I wouldn’t want to jeopardize a young kid’s life.”

“Agent Booth, you don’t always catch the dangerous cases. Besides, it will be for two months Booth, what can go wrong?” Cullen smiled and stood. “That is all agent Booth.”

Booth took the file back to his office and ate his doughnut. ‘Great,’ he thought to himself. ‘Now I am stuck babysitting for the summer.’ Then it clicked, Bones was having an intern soon. ‘I wonder if she told Cullen about it to get back at me.’ He picked up the file and his keys and headed for Bones’ office.

Brennan was in her office when Booth walked in. “Well if Cam didn’t talk to Cullen, did you?”

Rather confused, Brennan looked up at Booth. “Booth what are you talking about?”

Booth brandished the file again. “I told you, I’m stuck with some kid this summer. Just like you. What did you do, call Cullen and tell him what happened to spite me?”

Brennan stood up. “Hold on. You’re saying that I got you stuck with an intern because I am? Booth, I’m not some five year old telling on you to a parent. So grow up will you?”

“I.. I…” He groaned and quickly left her office.

Brennan spent the remainder of the day in her office, working on writing a report on the latest case from Limbo. At three-thirty she picked up her phone and called Lily, who answered on the third ring.

“Yo.”

“Hi, it’s Dr. Brennan again.”

“Oh, hey. How are you doing?”

“I’m good, thanks for asking. Okay, we can fund your trip down here and as for housing, would you be okay staying in my apartment with me? I’ll have an extra bedroom, I’ll get a TV, have snacks and everything.”

“Dr. Brennan that would be great. I can’t wait to meet you.”

“I can’t wait to meet you either. We’ll set up the travel times closer to the start okay?”

“No problem. Thanks for giving me the opportunity Dr. Brennan. I won’t make it seem like a waste, I promise that.” And without another word she hung up the phone. Brennan looked at the phone before putting it down with a shrug. At that moment, Booth decided to barge into the room.

“Booth, have you ever in your life learned the concept of knocking on one’s door and getting permission to enter?”

“I could have but then that would have taken time and I have great news to share with you.” Booth sat on the couch, a huge grin on his face. Brennan gestured for him to continue, which he did. “Okay, so this afternoon on my lunch break I went to meet this kid I have to teach this summer and he’s awesome. He’s the high school football quarterback and the captain. He displays excellent leadership skills and he’s also a smooth talker. He’s also third in his class academically and loves to write. The kid’s perfect.”

Brennan smiled in response to his newfound enthusiasm. “Good for you Booth, I’m sure he thinks the same way about a big, strong FBI agent such as you.”

Booth laughed and then got serious. “Wait, were you mocking me?”

“No, not at all,” replied Brennan, who tried hard not to laugh. “Sorry Booth, I gotta go back to work now.”
RollOnFriday
RollOnFriday
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper Empty Re: Dr Temperance Brennan, Mentor - Kasper

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next