Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Evolution of a Relationship by saraluvzbonz k+ - [01/11/2007]

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Evolution of a Relationship by saraluvzbonz k+ -  [01/11/2007] Empty The Evolution of a Relationship by saraluvzbonz k+ - [01/11/2007]

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:50 pm

Rating: K+
Pairing: B&B
Genre: Romance
Summary: Angela does a series of paintings to make a point to Brennan and Booth.

"So," Booth asked Brennan, "do you know anything about Angela's new show besides the title 'The Evolution of a Relationship'?"

"No," Brennan replied. "Usually she tells me about her shows and shows me a few of the paintings before they go on display. But she's been really secretive about this one. She refused to tell me anything about it. When I tried to get information from the gallery all they sent was a postcard with the title, gallery times, opening night information and a quote from some famous artist saying it's Angela best show yet."

"That's weird," Booth said as he climbed out of the SUV.

Booth's hand found its usual place at the small of Brennan's back as they walked toward the gallery entrance.

When they entered the building, Brennan was surprised to see the setup. Instead of the space being open to allow the visitors to free wander and appreciate the art, it was designed to force everyone to follow the same path through the exhibit.

She looked up at Booth. He shrugged, and then helped her out of her coat.

"Wow, Bones. You look nice tonight," he complimented her.

She smiled and said, "I always make an extra effort for Angela's shows. It wouldn't do for her best friend to embarrass her."

She lowered her voice to a whisper, "Actually, Angela picked this out herself and told me I had to wear it. For some reason she's more nervous about this show than I've seen her in a long time."

"Hey, sweetie, I'm so glad you two could make it," Angela's voice preceded the woman herself by about a foot.

"You know I wouldn't miss one of your shows," Brennan replied.

She hugged Brennan and then said, "You two stick together and I hope you enjoy it. I'll see you later, right now I see some people I need to talk to."

With that Angela flitted off to speak to an older couple who were just entering the gallery.

Booth and Brennan moved toward the first painting. It showed a man and a woman in a garden, standing in front of a fountain. Each figure had their fists planted firmly on their hips, obviously arguing.

"I've never been that good at interpreting art," Brennan began, "but the title of the show mentions relationships and the people in this picture are clearly fighting."

Booth nodded his agreement, and after studying the piece for a moment longer they moved on to the next one.

This one featured the same two people, the woman was looking out of a car's passenger window and the man was looking at her, annoyed.

Neither Booth nor Brennan felt the need to comment on the picture and they moved onto the next one.

It showed the same two people and a number of others at a funeral. The next showed the woman scolding the man about something.

"She's pretty hard on that guy," Booth commented.

"What makes you think he didn't deserve it?" Brennan retorted.

Each gave the other a hard look and then by mutual agreement they continued to the next painting.

This one featured the two people sitting next to each other, near a tree overlooking a park.

"At least in this picture they look friendly toward each other," Brennan said.

The two continued slowly, stopping to enjoy each picture. Neither of them seemed to notice the other people looking at Angela's art. They were so absorbed that they missed the occasional odd look that came their way.

A few pictures further down the path came one that neither of them could help but recognize. The woman, hands bound, had her arms around the neck of the man, a look of relief on her face. The background showed a large hook, some dogs, a guy on the floor with his hands in cuffs, and some police officers.

Brennan turned to Booth, but he was the first to speak.

"I knew something about these pictures was odd. I kept experiencing a kind of déjà vu, but I couldn't figure out why," he said.

"What was Angela thinking?" Brennan demanded. "I mean, the faces have different features, but I can't believe I didn't realize…" she stopped, not wanting to attract too much attention.

They continued to walk slowly through the exhibit. The settings and faces had been changed, but the events were clearly recognizable: the man offering the woman an earring while they sat among friends; the couple sitting in a graveyard, the woman comforting the grieving man. The painting entitled, "Who I Am," was particularly poignant as the man comforted the woman. The pictures went on, each one showing the two characters in various ways, but also showing the growing closeness between them: a late night dinner, the two of them sitting at a bar; the man kneeling over the woman lying on gravel, holding her to him; the two facing each other outside a large window, the man's hand under the woman's chin; the woman pointing a gun at a curly-haired heavy-set man, protecting the man while he struggled with his bonds; the formally-dressed couple hugging at the front of the church, with an impatient bride looking on.

When they reached the reception area, neither knew what to say. As they started to help themselves to the food, someone offered each of them an envelope.

Each looked at their envelopes and noticed the handwriting was Angela's.

Booth opened his and found a white piece of paper with a single sentence, "Don't you think you've already crossed the line?"

Brennan's had a different message, "Maybe now you'll believe me."

They both looked up from their notes at the same time and their glances caught. Their gaze held for a moment, and then Brennan looked away.

"Booth, can I read your note?" she asked.

"If you don't mind if I read yours," he replied.

She stretched her note toward him, and they traded.

"Wait, does she mean…?" Brennan started to ask, but Booth interrupted her.

"Maybe we shouldn't have this conversation here," he said, steering her back toward her coat and the exit.

"I can't believe Angela did this!" Brennan said a bit too loudly.

Booth hissed, "Keep it down. You can rip into her about it later, but don't ruin her show. It's too late for us to do anything about it."

As they reached the exit, they overheard a potential buyer asking a gallery assistant, "How much for 'Rescue Me,' the one with the dogs? I noticed there were no prices listed for any of them."

The assistant replied in a chagrined voice, "The artist, Angela Montenegro, insisted that none of them were for sale. The paintings were so good we decided to show them for a week anyway. She's here tonight, so maybe you can convince her to sell. She could make a fortune on these."

Booth and Brennan escaped into the night.

AN: Hope you enjoyed this. The story is completely written and I will be posting several chapters a week. Many thanks to redreider6612 who suffered through an OOC version of the story and kept me on the straight and narrow

Last edited by CheeseBK on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3762
Say What You Want : don't provoke the lunatic!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

The Evolution of a Relationship by saraluvzbonz k+ -  [01/11/2007] Empty Re: The Evolution of a Relationship by saraluvzbonz k+ - [01/11/2007]

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:51 pm

Posted 02/11/2007 06:46:14 PM by ToZiKa

I loved it.
Maybe they finally recognize what everybody else can see.
It was a good idea of Angela to just show it to them in pictures.
I would have never thought, that they didn't knew it was them until they came to the one with the dogs.
Sometimes they're not as smart as they are when they have a case.
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

The Evolution of a Relationship by saraluvzbonz k+ -  [01/11/2007] Empty Re: The Evolution of a Relationship by saraluvzbonz k+ - [01/11/2007]

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:51 pm

Posted 02/11/2007 06:50:32 PM by BGWGscienceteacher

Love this story. Can't wait to see what they do with their "new" knowledge, or maybe what else Ange has in store for them. PPS
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:52 pm

Posted 05/11/2007 01:31:57 AM by saraluvzbones

AN: As requested, the next installment of the story. I hope nobody died of curiosity in the mean time. ;-)
The minute the doors to the SUV were closed Brennan let everything out.

"I can't believe Angela did that to us. What was she thinking? The paintings were great, but she should have checked with us before putting our relationship on display," Brennan said, venting her frustration.

She was surprised when Booth didn't immediately agree with her. Instead he looked thoughtful as he drove toward her apartment.

"Don't you agree with me?" she demanded, when he was silent too long.

"Huh? Oh, well, she definitely should have been more discreet," he finally said.

"But you're not upset?" she asked.

"I haven't decided yet," he replied, lapsing into silence.

When they arrived at her apartment, she invited him up for a drink. The two were soon sitting on her couch, Booth with his beer and Brennan with a glass of red wine.

She tried to wait patiently for him to make up his mind, but after a few minutes of silence, she had had enough.

"So, did you decide yet?" she asked.

"No," he replied.

She queried, "Then what are you thinking about?"

"The notes," Booth answered succinctly.

"I thought they were clear," she commented.

"To you possibly. Mine was clear to me, but I'm not sure about yours. I assume it refers to something the two of you discussed, but since I wasn't a part of the conversation…" he trailed off, hoping she would explain.

To his surprise, she blushed, stammered something about needing the restroom, and then she practically ran out of the room.

While Booth waited for Brennan to return, his thoughts ran in circles. They started with something like 'Angela's right. I crossed the line a long time ago' and 'I've admitted it to myself, but am I willing to take it further?' and moved to 'I wonder what Angela could have told her that the paintings might make her believe?' and then returned to his thoughts about the line.

Meanwhile, Brennan was sitting on the toilet lid, wondering how long she could hide in the bathroom and how Angela could do this to her.

After she had calmed down a bit, she started to reflect on the paintings. 'Is what Angela painted really what everyone sees? Or is it only Angela's wishful thinking?' she wondered.

Angela's voice echoed in her head, Come on, Bren. People are always mistaking you two for a couple. And nobody believes it any more when the two of you deny it.

Brennan tried to remember how many times over the past couple years one or the other of them had denied being anything more than partners. She finally gave up trying to count. 'Maybe Angela's right. I suppose there's an easy way to find out. I could just explain what the note meant and see how he reacts.'

With this plan, she confidently returned to her seat in the living room. When Booth looked at her expectantly, she took a deep breath and spoke.

"You know, Angela didn't make those paintings to sell. She painted them to make a point, to me, and apparently to you. That's partly what the note meant," Brennan stopped, suddenly nervous.

"And the rest?" Booth asked, suddenly having a feeling where this was going.

Brennan blushed and said in a quiet voice, "Well, a couple of months ago, Angela was going on about how the two of us should get together. When I asked her why, she said that you were already in love with me."

Booth made a strange noise in his throat and she looked at him for a minute before continuing, "I didn't believe her, so she said she'd prove it to me. The paintings are her proof." She was so glad to have made it through the explanation in her most logical manner that she had to suppress a sigh of relief when it was over.

Now she looked at him expectantly.

Booth decided on a diversionary tactic. "You know, I've made up my mind," he said.

"About what?" she asked, a bit confused.

"I am upset at Angela," he replied. "She should mind her own business."

"So why didn't you decide until now that you were upset?" Brennan queried.

Booth really didn't want to answer that question. He tried to get up to leave, but wasn't done with him yet. She grabbed his arm and pulled him back into his seat.

"You're not getting out of this conversation that easily," Brennan said with determination, her attention completely focused on him.

Booth knew if he wanted to leave, he'd have to fight his way to the door and he wasn't sure this was a good time to test her assertion that she could take anyone down.

"She's trying to force us into something I don't think either of us is ready for yet," he replied with a sigh.

"Wait, are you saying--?" Brennan started, but her lightning quick mind had processed the possibilities and already come up with the most likely meaning.

Before Booth could reply, she slid closer to him, looked him directly in the eye and asked, "Why do you think that?"

She watched as he visibly sorted through the possible answers and then settled on one, the logical and straightforward approach. 'I'm going to kill Angela in the morning,' he thought.

"This isn't the time, place, or way I'd prefer to tell you this," he began, "but Angela's right, well partly. Temperance, I love you and I'm in love with you. And I don't want to be with you now and then have things fall apart. I want forever with you. But I don't think you're ready for that yet, and I'm not sure that we could sustain that kind of a relationship with the way our jobs are."

The moment he finished his explanation, she was kissing him. His eyes slid shut as sensations overtook him. A pleasant fire spread from his lips to the tips of his toes. Kissing his Bones was an incredible experience.

A moment later, a tiny shred of reason intruded and he gently pulled back. As he leaned his forehead against hers, he smiled.

"Wow! I've wanted to kiss you for so long, that was…" Booth couldn't begin to find words to describe the experience.

Brennan smiled back and teased, "Yeah, imagine what a French kiss would be like."

That thought sent his mind so many places, wondering what each of their firsts would be like. But he had had plenty of practice reigning in his thoughts around her and he did it again.

"Maybe we shouldn't go there quite yet," he said.

At her disappointed sigh, he said, "We view relationships very differently. I've thought about us a lot. A good relationship requires some sacrifices from both parties and I'm willing to make some, but there are some I think you'd need to make. I'm cool if you're not ready to talk about this yet."

Brennan heard what he said and knew he was serious, but her heart was singing 'He loves me. He told me he loves me' over and over and over again. At the moment all she cared about was that.

She gazed into his eyes and he tried to show her everything that was in his heart. She moved to kiss him again, but he pulled her into a hug instead. He whispered in her ear, "I really do want to kiss you again, but I don't think that's a good idea until we get things sorted out."

He pulled out of the hug and said, "I just laid it all on the line, Bones, and you haven't said anything. Since you kissed me, I'm guessing you were happy to hear it."

"I think we've been slowly moving to this point for a long time, so slowly that we didn't even see what was happening. Angela was right. When I was looking at her paintings it was so obvious to me. It happened so slowly and gradually that I didn't even really notice it, and I didn't believe Angela when she told me. I didn't tell you the other half of the conversation. Before she told me that you were in love with me, she said that I was in love with you. I didn't believe that was true either, but I agree that her paintings show it." Brennan stopped to take a breath.

"Temperance," Booth began.

But she shushed him and continued, "You're right though. I'm not ready to talk about this yet. You've clearly been thinking about it for a while, but I'm just getting started. I need some time to think and then we'll need to talk."

Booth nodded his agreement. 'I've been patient for a long time, and this is a big step in the right direction, I hope. I can wait a little longer,' he thought.

Another thought struck him, and he said, "So what do we do about Angela?"
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:53 pm

Posted 05/11/2007 02:43:55 AM by BGWGscienceteacher

I think you have stayed really trur to character here. They wouldn't just jump right in, but they would talk about it. Bones only believes what she can see, and she has finally seen the "proof". Now "What do they do about Angela!" PPS
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:53 pm

Posted 06/11/2007 12:57:23 AM by ToZiKA

Quote :saraluvzbonz wrote : I hope nobody died of curiosity in the mean time. ;-)

No but I was close, very close!

Finally they admitted their feelings and they take things slow to do it right.
I'm very curious of what they do about Angela.
PPS
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:54 pm

Posted 06/11/2007 03:25:22 PM by miller0259

I can't wait to see what they do to Angela....I would be pissed...
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Posted 08/11/2007 04:02:16 AM by saraluvzbones

AN: And here's what happens to Angela..... ta dum!

The next morning both Booth and Brennan arrived at the Jeffersonian early. They sat down on her couch to enjoy coffee and muffins.

"Do you really think this will cure Angela of her meddling? I need time to think things out and if she's pushing me like usual…" Brennan voiced her doubts about their plan to Booth.

"She's made getting us together her latest project. If we don't do something, we may never have any breathing room," Booth replied.

After they finished eating breakfast, Brennan turned on her computer, Booth pulled out a file, and the two began to work in companionable silence. Every so often, Brennan's mind wandered and she stole glances at Booth. Then she'd have to remind herself that she needed to get some work done.

A while later, Angela waltzed into Brennan's office. She was so intent on interrogating Brennan that she failed to notice Booth sitting on the couch.

"So Bren," Angela began, walking closer to the desk, "what did you think of my show?"

While Angela asked her question, Booth quietly slipped behind her, closed the door, and leaned against it.

"I think those are some of the best paintings you've ever done," Brennan said.

She was about to continue, but Angela interrupted her, "So, sweetie, did I prove my point?"

"We're not going to talk about that," Booth said in a serious tone.

At the sound of his voice, Angela jumped and turned. "Oh, hi, Booth. I didn't hear you come in," she said.

"I was here when you walked in," he said. "But that's not what we're going to talk about either."

Angela started to get nervous. She'd seen Booth in a lot of moods, but this one was new to her.

"So, should we start with your putting our partnership on display for all to see, or perhaps with your meddling?" Brennan asked with false cheerfulness.

'Uh oh,' she thought. For a moment, Angela contemplated trying to escape, but she realized that Booth was blocking the only exit. She moved to the couch and sat at the farthest point from her friends.

"Until now, we've put up with your meddling because you're our friend, and we know that you just want me to be more relaxed and us to be happy – to find the kind of happiness you have with Hodgins. But you went way beyond what was necessary to prove your point," Brennan started the lecture.

Booth continued, "Anyone who has known Bones and me more than a little over the past two years will be able to see through the minor changes you made, and it could put our partnership at risk in a several ways."

"It ends now. No more meddling," Brennan concluded.

"Bu… bu…" Angela stuttered.

Booth cut her off. "We don't need explanations or excuses."

With that, he opened the door and motioned Angela out. She sat on the couch a moment, in shock. She had expected the two of them to be happily starting a relationship. 'All the signs pointed to this being the right timing. What went wrong?' she thought desperately. Her shoulders sagged a bit, then she stood and left quickly.

When she was gone and Booth had closed the door, Brennan turned to him and asked, "Do you think we were too hard on her?"

"Maybe a bit. But she wouldn't have stopped if we weren't serious enough. If you go see her in about half an hour and ask her to lunch, she'll know you're not mad," he replied.

"Did you really mean what you said about this possibly putting our partnership at risk?" she asked.

"Well, the FBI has a policy about relationships between agents," Booth said.

"But I'm not an agent," Brennan objected.

"No, you're not. But some of the reasoning behind the policy would still apply to us," he replied. "I think Cullen would be reasonable, as long as we demonstrated our ability to stay professional on the job. But that wasn't the only risk I was thinking of."

When he saw her expectant look, he sighed and continued, "Since the moment we became friends, you, and all the squints, actually, became potential targets for someone trying to get to me. Anyone who is aware of my feelings for you knows that going after you or Parker are the quickest ways to hurt me. It's part of the job and all agents have to deal with it. Angela's art show just widened the number of people who know. It's good, really good, so it will probably make the Arts & Entertainment section of next Sunday's newspaper, increasing the number dramatically."

Brennan thought a minute before replying, "I see what you mean. But you, Angela, Jack, Zach, and Cam could also be targets because of a case that I worked. I testified in some high profile cases before we became partners."

"That's one of the reasons I'm less hesitant to pursue a serious relationship with you than I was with some of the other women I dated," he said. "You already understand the risks and live with them every day, and you're more able to defend yourself than any other woman I know."

Brennan smiled, pleased at the compliment. "You really have given this a lot of thought," she observed. "I know we have a lot of talking to do, but I have some serious thinking to do too, and I need to get some work done."

Booth took that as his cue to head back to work too. After he left, Brennan went looking for Angela.

She found her in Hodgins' office. When she knocked on the glass, Hodgins glared at her.

"Ange, lunch later?" Brennan asked softly.

Angela looked up at her best friend, her eyes still puffy from crying. "You're not still mad at me are you?"

"No. I was never angry with you. Okay, well, maybe for half an hour or so last night… but I'm not upset now," she smiled. "We may have exaggerated a bit to get your attention, Ange, but you have been pretty pushy lately. Let's go someplace nicer for lunch. How about that Italian place you like?

Angela perked up. "Sounds good to me. Over lunch you can tell me all about…"

A single look from Brennan made Angela realize that maybe she'd better hold her questions about their relationship for at least a day or two.
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Posted 08/11/2007 04:36:11 AM by CheeseBK

oh this is so funny, more soon please!
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:55 pm

Posted 08/11/2007 01:01:12 PM by ToZiKa

Poor Angela she is only trying to help but unfortunately she doesn't know when to stop.
I like this story and I would be happy to read more soon.
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:00 pm

Posted 11/11/2007 09:49:28 PM by saraluvzbones

AN: As promised, I'm posting the update on Sunday. :-)

Brennan's concentration problems continued after she returned from her lunch with Angela. Zach had to repeat his questions about the bones they were studying several times and twice the answers she gave made no sense.

Cam approached Brennan and asked, "How's the file on our last FBI case coming?"

When Brennan didn't respond, she said, "Hello? Hello? Earth to Brennan."

She glanced at Zach, a question in her eyes.

He shrugged and said, "She's been distracted all afternoon."

Cam put a hand on Brennan's shoulder to get her attention, and tried again, "Dr. Brennan?"

Brennan jumped. "Yes?" she replied.

"How's the file on our last FBI case coming?" her boss asked again.

"Oh, my part's done. Let me get it for you," she replied, heading off the platform toward her office.

Cam followed Brennan into her office and said, "You were really zoned out."

"What? I don't know what that means," Brennan responded, as she dug through a pile of folders looking for the right one.

"It means you were thinking hard about something and were unaware of what was happening around you," Cam explained, wishing yet again that the forensic anthropologist would take the time to learn the idioms and slang that most people knew.

"Here it is," Brennan announced, pulling a file from the stack and offering it to her boss.

"Look, you work way more hours than you need to, and things are kind of slow this afternoon. Why don't you take the rest of the afternoon off?" Cam offered.

"Huh?" Brennan said, so occupied with other thoughts that her mind took a minute to process the words. "Oh, thanks. I think I will."

Brennan closed the blinds and the door. After locking the door and turning out the lights, she sat down on her couch to think.

I really wish Angela had minded her own business. Things were good the way they were before. Now she's forced me into a position where I have to figure out what I feel and what I want. Booth's already been thinking about this… us… having a relationship. He said he wants forever. I'm not exactly sure about forever, but he's already proven that he won't leave when things get tough. He knows me well enough to know my idiosyncrasies, fears, and bad habits. And he takes his promises and responsibilities seriously. He mentioned sacrifices that each of us would need to make. I wonder what he thinks those are.

The ringing of a phone surprised Brennan from deep thought. It took her a minute to realize it was her cell phone. She looked at the caller ID and smiled.

"Hi, Booth," she said. "What's up?"

"Rebecca called about half an hour ago and asked if I'd watch Parker for the evening. She has a date and the babysitter came down with the flu. I had been hoping we could talk this evening, but I don't think that's going to work out," he answered.

"Oh," she replied.

"Oh?" he asked.

"I was hoping we could talk too. I was so distracted this afternoon that Cam told me to take the rest of the day off. I've been thinking and I have some questions I want to ask you," she explained.

"We could still hang out this evening, even if we can't talk," he offered.

She really wanted to see him, but…. "You know I'm no good around kids, Booth."

"Aw… come on, Temperance. Kids aren't that bad. You won't get any better if you avoid them. We'll do something easy like watch a movie," he cajoled.

She couldn't resist when he used her first name. "Alright," she caved.

"We'll be by to pick you up in ten minutes," he said happily.

"Ten minutes? I thought you said this evening," Brennan replied.

"It's ten 'til seven, Bones. See you in a few," he concluded the call.

She glanced at the display on her phone in disbelief. 'I can't believe it's almost seven. I really was zoned out,' she thought. She grabbed her stuff and headed out of the building to wait for them.

Half an hour later the three of them were at Booth's apartment.

"So what are we going to watch tonight, bub?" Booth asked his son.

"The Incredibles! Let's watch that, Daddy," Parker bounced with excitement.

"The Incredibles it is," he replied.

As he put the DVD in the player, he explained to Brennan, "The Incredibles is Parker's current favorite."

"Haven't you seen it?" Parker asked her.

"Nope. This will be my first time," she answered.

Booth sat down in the middle of the couch, Brennan and Parker on either side of him.

"You're gonna love this movie. It's the best," Parker informed her.

She couldn't help but smile at the young boy's enthusiasm.

The movie hadn't been on for very long before she leaned over and whispered in Booth's ear, "People can't really do these kinds of things. This isn't very believable. Are you sure it's a good idea for Parker to watch this?"

Booth put his arm around her to keep her from moving away. He whispered back, "Just suspend your disbelief while the movie's playing, okay? It's a fun movie. You can tell me what was wrong with it afterward."

She nodded and tried to turn her attention to the screen but his proximity was very distracting. They paused the movie twice: once for popcorn and a second time so Parker could use the bathroom.

When the credits started, Parker crawled into his daddy's lap and sleepily asked Brennan, "Did you like it?"

'What do I say? It wasn't believable. People don't have superpowers,' Brennan thought desperately, trying to come up with an appropriate answer.

"Um," she replied. "I don't know. Which character is your favorite?"

"Dash," he answered.

"Why?"

"Because he can run really fast and if I could run that fast I could help you and Daddy catch bad guys," Parker answered. "Which power would you want?"

Booth gave Brennan an encouraging smile when he saw the panicked look on her face.

"Um. Invisibility, I guess," she answered, picking one randomly.

When he asked why, she searched for an answer. "Because that way I could sneak up on the bad guys really easily," she said with triumph. Whew. Good answer.

Booth cuddled his son and laughed. "Watch out, criminals of DC! The crime-fighting team of Bones and Parker will hunt you down and lock you up."

"You're silly, Daddy," Parker said.

"Yeah, Booth. What he said," Brennan agreed, winking at Parker.

Parker's eyes were slowly beginning to close. Booth stood up and said, "Come on, bub. Let's get you into your pajamas."

"But Daddy, I'm not tired," Parker objected, yawning.

"That's okay. It's still bedtime though," his father said, carrying him toward the bedroom.

Brennan stared after them a moment. She smiled and sighed. How is it that seeing him with his son makes him more attractive?

Not knowing how long Booth would be gone, Brennan got up and scanned his bookshelves for something to read. After looking at the first few shelves, she thought 'Doesn't he have a single interesting book?'

The last shelf contained children's books. She scanned them. "I remember reading this as a kid," she muttered to herself as she pulled out Wacky Wednesday by Dr. Seuss off the shelf. She took it over to the couch and was soon involved in finding the wacky things.

When Booth returned, he was amazed to find his Bones curled up on the couch intensely concentrating on a children's book. He walked behind the couch and looked over her shoulder to see which book held her attention. He practically choked on a laugh when he realized which book she had.

He walked back around and sat down next to her. Although they were hardly touching, both felt a jolt of electricity arc between them.

"Good book?" he asked, trying hard not to laugh.

"I'm stuck!" she answered with annoyance. "I can only find eight of the nine wacky things in this picture."

"Show me which ones you've found," he instructed, leaning closer to see the book better.

Her eyes fluttered closed for a moment and she took a deep breath, trying to control her desire to kiss him. Instead she inhaled his scent, aftershave, Parker's bubble bath and something uniquely him.

Focus! What did he say? Oh yeah. She pointed to the eight wacky things that she found.

"Oh. You're missing the picture. That's Abraham Lincoln, not George Washington," Booth said, smiling at her.

She looked up into his warm brown eyes. Suddenly the absurdity of the situation hit her and she started to laugh. Her laughter was infectious and soon he was laughing with her.

When their laughter subsided, she said softly, "Thanks for convincing me to come. I had fun. Parker's a good kid."

"He is, isn't he?" Booth replied with a smile. "You did fine, you know. When I was tucking him into bed, he wanted to know if you'd be here when he woke up in the morning and he mumbled something about Robin Hood as he dropped off to sleep."

She smiled back at him. His approval was important to her, and if they were going to be something more, she needed to get along well with his son.

Booth suddenly became aware that his entire left side was pressed against her. His heart rate increased. He wanted her so much. But I don't want to mess this up. The thought of losing her helped him to control his desire, and he scooted away.

"I know we need to talk, but I can't think right now," Booth said. "How about we leave work tomorrow at 5, take a walk around the Jeffersonian gardens, and then eat somewhere nice? That will give us plenty of time to talk." And we'll be in public places where it will be easier to keep my hands to myself until we hash this out.

Assuming Booth meant that he was too tired to think, Brennan pushed her disappointment away and objected, "Five? Booth! That's early. I usually work much later."

He gave her a sidelong glance, "Would you really rather work than spend time with me?" A grin appeared on his face.

"You’re right," she agreed. If I have as hard a time concentrating tomorrow as I did today, it’s not like I'll be accomplishing much.

His grin morphed into a full-blown charm smile. 'The man could melt ice with that smile,' Brennan thought.

They both stood up and headed toward the door. There was an awkward moment when neither was sure how to say goodbye, and then he pulled her into a tight hug. Her eyes slid shut and she reveled in the safety of his arms for a moment before saying a quiet goodnight and heading to her car.
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:12 pm

Posted 12/11/2007 01:58:50 AM by CheeseBK

this is adorable, i loved it.... and brennan zoned out
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Posted 12/11/2007 08:25:04 AM by nane

What a great story. I love the anticipation. Take your time for the evolution...
Although I would love to see the paintings from the beginning...
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:20 pm

Posted 15/11/2007 10:48:54 PM by saraluvzbones

AN: I'm sorry for posting this later than normal. I had computer complications.

When lunch came and went the next day, Brennan sighed in relief. Only a few hours left. And I managed to get a reasonable amount accomplished this morning.

She was sitting at her desk filling out the paperwork on the latest World War 1 body she and Zach had identified, when she heard the sound of Booth's shoes making their way down the hallway toward her office.

He knocked on her door and leaned against the frame, smiling as his eyes drank in the details of the woman he loved.

After finishing her sentence, Brennan looked toward him and was immediately caught in his gaze. She was warmed by the admiration and affection she saw in his eyes. When he allows it, his eyes show everything he's feeling.

"Booth!" she exclaimed. "Stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?" he asked, innocently.

"You know what I mean. And if you keep looking at me like that, I won't be responsible for my actions," she said in her usual tone. Anyone listening in would think she meant her usual threat of taking him down, but he understood exactly what she meant, so he stopped.

He straightened up and smiled again. "We have a case, Bones," he said, offering her a manila file.

"Let me grab my kit," she said, standing and reaching for her jacket.

Angela watched the pair as they left. Booth was carrying Brennan's kit and like usual she was arguing with him about it. Angela sighed to herself, wondering how they could still be so oblivious. My paintings were so clear. How is it that nothing has changed? She gave up trying to understand her favorite non-couple and returned to the skull she was drawing a face for.

Once both of them were in the SUV and safely away from potential eavesdroppers, Brennan continued the conversation.

"You can't look at me like that when we're working, Booth," she said. "I have a hard enough time concentrating when you're around anyways."

He stopped at a light and looked over at her. For a moment they were lost in each other's gaze. He reached out and tucked a stray hair behind her ear. She leaned her face into his touch. He smirked and reached out to remove the clip that restrained her hair.

"Booth!" she objected, swatting his hand.

"Your hair looks so nice when it frames your face," he complimented her.

A small thrill ran through her at his words. "Give me my clip back," she demanded.

"Nope," he said, pocketing the clip.

A honk from the car behind them distracted Booth from his flirting and he put his foot on the gas.

"Come on, Booth. Give it back," she said with a pretend pout.

"You're so much fun when you try to pout," he said.

She rolled her eyes at him and started muttering under her breath about his alpha male tendencies. She pulled out the case file, deciding the only reasonable way to deal with her partner right now was to ignore him.

At the crime scene, Booth looked for their contact. Spotting him, he put his hand in its usual place on Brennan's waist and guided her in the right direction.

"Officer Smith?" he asked. When the man nodded, Booth continued, "Special Agent Seeley Booth. This is my partner, Dr. Temperance Brennan of the Jeffersonian Institute."

After shaking the proffered hand, she asked, "Where are my remains?

He pointed down the alley. "They're about 100 yards that direction. You can't miss them," he answered.

She took off in the direction of the remains. Booth and Smith followed her at a more leisurely pace, discussing what was known so far.

Brennan had set down her kit, put on surgical gloves, and begun observing the bones and the small amount of flesh that remained. Booth pulled out his notepad and started to record the pertinent details as she called them out. She crouched over the remains to examine them more closely. When she discovered an earring on the ground underneath the body, he automatically grabbed an evidence bag and held it for her.

Smith observed the smooth way they worked as a team. "So, how long have you two been going out?" he asked.

Both of them looked at him for a minute. Instead of their usual denial, they glanced at each other and by mutual agreement simply ignored the question and continued with their work.

A few minutes later, Brennan looked up at him and complained, "Booth, my hair!"

He pulled the clip out of his pocket, bent down collected her hair in his hand, and snapped the clip into place. Her hair is so soft.

She enjoyed the feeling of his fingers in her hair and it took her a minute to wrench her concentration back to the task at hand.

After about an hour, Booth moved to Brennan, crouched down beside her, placed a hand on her shoulder, and insisted that she stop for a few minutes and stretch. He stood up, offering her a hand. She took it gratefully. When she was standing she started to stretch her neck from side to side and roll her shoulders to work the kinks out.

Booth couldn't keep his eyes off of her. It doesn't seem to matter what she's doing she's always graceful. When she put her hands on her back to stretch it, he moved behind her and started massaging her shoulders and back.

Officer Smith noticed that even though she hadn't seen her partner move she wasn't surprised when his hands touched her shoulders and she seemed to melt into him. Their body language and level of comfort with each other went way beyond that of any other partners he'd ever met, even the male-female ones. After watching them for a few more minutes, Smith was convinced they were a couple. He repeated his question, "So how long have you been dating?"

Brennan eyes fluttered open and she answered truthfully, "We've never been on a date."

Thinking of their evening plans, Booth muttered "yet" softly under his breath. She glared at him.

"Come on, you can't really expect me to believe that!" Smith said, with a bit of exasperation.

"It's true," Booth backed her up.

He gave up. "Whatever you say."

Brennan moved back toward the remains to finish her examination.

Not having much to do, Smith spent continued his observation of the partners. Instead of saying the other's name to get their attention, Booth would put a hand on her shoulder or she would place a hand on his wrist. They seemed to be able to communicate without many words. A glance would often pass between the two and then a new phase of the remains of the recovery would begin. Sometimes, though, the glances would stretch and he could almost see the sparks flying between them. When they were finished and headed back to the SUV, he shook his head. I don't know who those two think they're fooling.

As they drove away, Brennan observed, "Officer Smith really didn't believe us, even though we told him the truth. Why is it was so obvious to him and everyone else, but not to me?"

Booth didn't really know how to answer the question in a way that wouldn't make her mad, so he stole her hair clip again, knowing it would distract her. He found himself looking forward to their date. One thing for sure, things were never boring around her.
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:21 pm

Posted 15/11/2007 11:28:20 PM by BGWGscienceteacher

I just commented on this over at "the other site", but I'll comment here too. LOVE IT! Great chapter. PPS
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:21 pm

Posted 17/11/2007 11:28:42 AM by ToZiKA

Finally she realizes that everyone else can see what they feel foreach other.
It was a good chapter and I'm looking forward to their date too.
PPS
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:22 pm

Posted 18/11/2007 00:48:49 AM by JAXTIG

Love it!....too cute where he changes the subject! I cant wait to see if she calls him on it in the next chapter. PPS
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:24 pm

Posted 18/11/2007 03:45:36 PM by BoothnBones9

Aww!!!! This story is so good!! And so realistic!!!!!!!

PLEEASE post more soon!

=]
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:26 pm

2007-11-18 by saraluvzbonz

At 5 o'clock Brennan grabbed her things and snuck out of the lab to meet Booth. He locked her purse and jacket in the SUV and they headed to the Jeffersonian's gardens.

They wandered for a few minutes, enjoying the relative peace of the gardens and each other's company. Booth could tell that her thoughts had turned to the upcoming conversation when she began to glance at him as if taking his measure.

He steered her toward a bench and they sat down.

"So, you have questions?" Booth queried, opening the conversation.

She nodded her head, trying to put her thoughts in order. It's so hard to think when he's near.

After a minute, she managed, "I could tell the other night that you'd been thinking about this, about us, about what a relationship between the two of us might be like. When did you realize…"

"That I had feelings for you?" he finished. "I think I must have known for a while, but I wouldn't admit it to myself. But after I was kidnapped and you came to rescue me, I couldn't deny it anymore. Angela was going on about how you asked your Dad to help find me and about the tension between us, making her usual innuendos. I stood there, tuning her out, and thinking about the fact that I didn't doubt you'd be there. I had this image in my mind of you walking through that hangar door and in that moment all my self-delusions fell away."

'This conversation is turning out to be harder than I expected,' Booth thought. He shifted forward so his elbows were on his knees and turned his head to look at her.

Brennan expression showed her astonishment at the depth of his faith in her. After a moment, she collected her wits and asked her next question. "The other night you mentioned sacrifices. What exactly did you mean by that?"

"Well, any long lasting relationship requires compromise. We see things very differently. You talk about chemical reactions and biological urges and imperatives. I believe in love. You don't need a piece of paper to show your commitment, and I want to get married and have a family. These are some pretty big differences, but I think we can work through them," Booth said.

He glanced at his watch. "Come on, Bones. We should leave now if we want to make our reservations."

They stood and headed in the direction of his SUV. By mutual agreement, the ride to the restaurant was silent, both preferring to wait to continue their discussion. When he pulled into the parking lot of a nice Thai restaurant, Brennan smiled with appreciation at Booth.

Over a dinner of curried chicken and lemon grass soup, the conversation continued.

"Did you have some particular compromises in mind?" she asked. She was slightly afraid of what his answer might be. She wanted to be with him so much, but he was right about their differences.

"First issue: marriage. I know you don't need a paper to prove your commitment, but if things work out I'd like one to prove mine," he began.

When she started to interrupt, he said, "Temperance, just let me finish. It wouldn't have to be a church wedding. I don't expect that you'll change your opinion about religion."

"What do you mean by 'if things work out'?" Brennan asked with trepidation.

Booth reached across the table and put his hand over hers in reassurance. "If we can agree on some compromises," he answered.

"Okay," she indicated her understanding. "What about the rest?" She looked him directly in the eye, intending to challenge him, but the emotion she saw in his face almost overwhelmed her.

"Another big issue would be kids. I understand why you wouldn't want to bring a child into a world like this, but there are plenty of children in the world already who need homes and parents. Parenting can take a lot of time and energy, but the rewards are amazing. Maybe we could consider adoption," Booth suggested.

He couldn't believe they were talking about this like it was a negotiation, but he knew that she handled logic better than emotions and he didn't want her to run for the hills.

The waiter brought the check. Booth paid and they headed to her apartment.

Brennan was silent during the ride, deep in thought. The compromises he's suggesting are reasonable. I think I could live with them. Earlier he said he wants forever, but so many people split up these days. What if he were to leave? I don't think I could handle that. I've never been so emotionally connected to another person. This is Booth. He's stuck around through a lot of hard things the past couple of years. And he knows most of my faults already. It's a risk, but maybe it's a good one. If I don't take my chances now, eventually he would probably find someone else and then I might really lose him. The more she thought about it, the more realized that losing him was the crux of the matter. She had come to depend on him in so many ways. Sometimes relying on someone else is scary, but it can also be really nice. The thoughts swirled in her head. She had good reasons to be wary, fearful even, of relationships lasting. But she also had a history with Booth that indicated things could be different with him, but she still needed some reassurance.

By the time they arrived at her apartment, she made up her mind. As soon as the door closed behind them, she dropped her purse on the floor and invaded his personal space. She looked him directly in the eye and asked, "Everyone I love leaves eventually. Why should I expect you to be any different?"

He answered slowly, "We've been through a lot together in the past two years, more than most people experience in a lifetime. We've come through it stronger and better. You know me and many of my secrets, and I know you and most of yours. You match me and understand me in more ways than any other person. You accept me how I am. Do you know how rare it is to find that in someone?"

The depth of his answer and the way his logic mirrored hers surprised her. She took a step back. "Why me?" she asked in a small voice. "I'm just a cold-hearted workaholic with abandonment issues."

"That's not what I see when I look at you. I see a beautiful, competent, intelligent woman with a passion for finding the truth who puts up a façade to distance herself from the awful realities that she sees every day," Booth answered.

Her eyes widened a little at this declaration and then she wrapped him in a tight hug. His arms came around her. She fit so perfectly in his arms. It took him a minute to realize that she was crying softly. He started to rub her back in soft, soothing circles.

After a minute or so, her tears stopped and she looked up at him. Her eyes were a little puffy, but he thought she had never looked more beautiful.

"Yes," she said softly, grabbing his hand and pulling him to the couch.

"Huh?" he asked, confusion evident in his features.

"Yes, to all of it – everything. Those are reasonable compromises and I'm sure we can work out any others," she replied with a radiant smile.

He was stunned. He hadn't expected her to make up her mind so quickly and when she smiled at him that way… he could hardly think. He pulled her close and cuddled her to his chest, still trying to digest it. He stroked the soft skin of her cheek and then slowly leaned in to press a soft kiss to her forehead. Happiness exploded in his heart. He wanted this so much, but he'd barely let himself believe that it could happen.

"What? Why?" he fumbled for the words to ask the question he wanted. He tried again, "Why'd you agree?"

"I couldn't stand the thought of losing you," she answered simply.

Her answer brought tears to his eyes. He blinked them away. So it goes back to her abandonment issues and her desire for a family. He tightened his arms around her. "I'll never leave you," he promised. He kissed her softly, seriously, trying to say with his actions what he could never put into words.

Like she had been doing all evening, she asked another question, "When?"

Confused again, he asked "When what?"

"Well, if I'm not mistaken, Seeley, there was a proposal somewhere in our discussion and I just accepted," she offered him another brilliant smile.

He looked at her in shock for a moment, and then replied, "You just gave me what I've been wanting and hoping for for a long time. I'm so happy I can hardly think. You're right, of course, I just expected it to be harder or longer or something. But I don't have a ring or anything, and …"

She put a finger on his lips. "You're babbling, Booth."

He kissed her finger, smiled, and said, "We should celebrate."

She went to the kitchen and returned a moment later with two glasses and a bottle of red wine.

As she popped the cork and poured the wine into the glasses, she said, "I've been saving this for a special occasion."

She offered him a glass. "To us," she toasted.

She clinked her glass against his and they both took a sip. She put her glass down and he followed suit. Slowly she leaned toward him. Her eyes darted to his lips and then to his eyes. Ever so slowly her lips moved toward him. Unable to hold back his desire any longer, Booth closed the distance between them swiftly and he kissed her gently. After a moment, he pulled back and slowly traced her lips with the tips of his fingers. He continued to explore her face with his fingers, still a bit unable to believe that it was actually happening.

At his touch, Brennan felt another of her walls melt away. She rained small kisses on his face, before capturing his lips. Her nerves were on fire. Her fingers twined in his hair and she tried to deepen the kiss, but he pulled back, looking dazed.

"So, when?" she repeated her question.

He couldn't have said what day or even what century it was. The woman he loved was finally in his arms.

"Um, now?" he asked.

She laughed in amusement. "Seeley, I don't think we could get married right now. It's 2AM. I'm pretty sure the offices are closed."

Suddenly a thought struck Booth. "Crap! I have a 7AM meeting with Cullen," he said. "I'd better go."

They stood and headed toward the door. He pulled her into a tight hug.

"I love you, Temperance," he whispered, kissing her forehead gently.

He reached for the doorknob, but she grabbed his arm and pulled him back for a long kiss.

"Do you really have to go?" she asked.

His lips quirked into a smile. "For now? Yes. But I'll see you tomorrow," he promised.

He dropped one last kiss on her sweet lips and then he was gone. She stood staring at the door for a few minutes, a silly smile on her face. Then she went to her room to get ready for bed. She fell asleep with a smile on her face, remembering his kisses and thinking about the plans she had to make.
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:26 pm

Posted 18/11/2007 08:56:19 PM by BGWGscienceteacher

That was great, and very much in character. I think it would probably have to come to a point when Brennan would have a greater fear of losing Booth all together, than the fear of taking a chance on him. PPS
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:27 pm

Posted 19/11/2007 02:57:46 AM by CheeseBK

I can't wait to read more of this!!!
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:28 pm

Posted 21/11/2007 04:51:39 PM by saraluvzbonz

AN: And here's the next chapter. I'm sure a few of you will be disappointed... but this is Booth and Bones we're talking about. Don't worry I fix it all in the end. On another note, the Sunday post will be a bit late because I'm going out of town for Thanksgiving.

The next morning on the drive to work the events of the evening played through her mind. The past few days her emotions seemed to have been doing more of the "thinking" than her brain.

Preoccupied with her thoughts she failed to respond to the security guard's usual hello or a greeting from a fellow scientist. She went to her office by rote; she had walked the route so many times her feet knew the path. On automatic pilot she turned on the computer and logged in, but that was as far as she got. When Angela walked in several hours later, she was still staring at her wallpaper.

Angela looked at her friend whose mind was obviously elsewhere.

"Penny for your thoughts?" the artist offered.

Brennan started and then replied, "A penny might get you part of a thought…"

Angela laughed. "Do you want to see the facial reconstruction now? I thought for sure you would be in my office bugging me about it the minute I arrived."

"Maybe after lunch. I'm busy right now," Brennan said.

"I can see that. Staring at your screensaver is such hard work," Angela teased, before returning to her office.

Brennan picked up the phone and dialed her partner. When he answered the phone she jumped into the reason for her call.

"Booth, we need to talk," she said, her tone serious.

He suppressed an initial surge of panic and replied, "I was just thinking about heading your way to get an update. Why don't we grab lunch?"

Although he'd kept his tone casual on the phone, his gut whispered that maybe she had changed her mind. He hurried to the Jeffersonian, his partner, and lunch. By mutual consent they chose a restaurant they rarely ate at.

As soon as they were seated, he asked, "So, Bones, what's on your mind?"

"Well, I've been thinking…" she started.

"There’s a shock," he muttered. She rolled her eyes at him. "Sorry…go on," he said, waving a hand for her to continue.

"What's the most important thing to you?" she asked.

He answered without hesitation. "You and Parker."

She looked at him a second, stunned by his response. Then she tried again.

"Okay. That wasn't exactly the answer I was looking for. Um… I was thinking more in terms of goals," she responded.

"Well, I want to be a good father and a good person," Booth answered, wondering where she was going with this, "and I'd like to catch as many criminals as targets I killed. There're probably a few others that aren't coming to mind right now. It's not like I walk around with a list in my head."

"And what would you say mine is?" she asked.

"Easy. You want to find the truth, and bring answers to the families of our victims," he smiled.

"Right. I'd say we do that pretty well," she commented.

"Come on, Bones. We do better than pretty well," he objected.

She nodded her acquiescence. "I think we do both of those things better as a partners than either of us did separately. You're finding your redemption and we're finding the truth of what happened to murder victims."

He was beginning to get a glimmer of where she was going with this. "And you don't want to risk the partnership by starting a relationship. You can stop beating around the bush, Bones. I get it," he said with a heavy sigh.

Confused by the tone in his voice, she commented, "You say that like it's a bad thing."

"It's just… I was hoping… " he began, trying to put his feeling into words. He finally gave up. "Just skip to the let's be friends part of the conversation so we can get out of here," he said, more roughly than he intended.

"Booth? What are you talking about?" She was more confused than ever. "A few days ago I told you I was in love with you and I kissed you, of course we're friends. But you said that like it's a bad thing."

"It's the classic brush off, Bones. Someone, usually the woman, starts to explain something that indirectly leads to a discussion of the relationship. It always ends with her wanting to be just friends," he explained.

"Oh," she said as comprehension dawned. "So you thought…"

He nodded.

"But that's not what I was going to say," she objected.

The moment the words were out of her mouth, his charm smile appeared at full wattage.

"I was going to suggest we wait before getting into anything serious. Neither of us is going anywhere and our partnership is helping us both meet important goals. I know you said the risks were manageable, but how do we know? I'm not trying to deny what's happened between us…" she trailed off.

"I guess it wouldn't hurt," he began. "Crap! Do you always have to think so much, Bones?"

"Huh?"

"Well, your logic has just put two of my desires at odds with each other," he answered, running a hand through his hair in frustration. "I really want both – a relationship with you and your assistance catching criminals"

"But we already have a relationship," Brennan pointed out logically.

He groaned, thinking of how hard it would be hold back with her now that they'd both admitted their feelings. "Not exactly what I meant, Bones."

"Oh, you meant a romantic relationship," she said.

"Well, that and… don't you think it will be hard to hold back, you know, now that we've kissed, Temperance?" he asked, using the intimacy of calling her by her first name to make his point.

She studied him a moment and answered, "I can compartmentalize, Booth. It's called delayed gratification. I'm sure you and Rebecca are teaching it to Parker."

He gave her a long searching look and agreed. "I can, if you can. But if you don't, I'm not really sure I'll be able to," he warned her.

The drive back to the Jeffersonian was silent. Both partners were still trying to absorb everything they had discussed. They shared a long look before exiting the car, trying to convey what they felt but couldn't put into words.

Booth followed Brennan into the lab, now ready for the update he needed about their current case. Soon the two were bickering over details, exactly as if it were any other day.
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:28 pm

Posted 21/11/2007 10:37:30 PM by BoothnBones9

Okay, this little....erm....dilemma...is not as bad as i first thought it would be. You scared me! I thought she was going to run and hide, and he was going to have to chase her!

This is good, though. Just holding off on the relationship part seems reasonable.

=]
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:30 pm

Posted 22/11/2007 02:45:27 AM by CheeseBK

okay, she thinks too much...
but I love the story
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseBK Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:44 pm

Posted 26/11/2007 03:33:32 AM by saraluvzbonz

In the days and weeks following her show, Angela watched her favorite pair for signs that her message had gotten through to either one of them. To her immense frustration, nothing much seemed to have changed. She had noticed a sort of softening between the two of them. Oh, they argued as much as ever, but the hard edges in their voices had diminished. Brennan seemed more comfortable than before with the small touches her partner used to guide her or gain her attention, and she seemed to lean on him a bit more often and with more ease. But Brennan had been slowly changing since she had become partners with Booth and there was no evidence that they were anything other than very, very close friends.

Although there were few outward changes in their relationship, the conversation between Booth and Brennan had made a big difference in other ways. They continued to do their normal things – working late and eating out. The quiet commitment in their relationship made it easier for her to share herself with him. He invited her into more parts of his life and she found she enjoyed it.

At first, it was the occasional request to go to the park or watch a movie when his son visited. Once in a great while Booth would bring him to the Jeffersonian and she would stop her work to show him something interesting. Then the fall came around and he invited her to one of Parker's T-ball games. Eventually she was there every game, cheering him on. Over time, she got to know Rebecca and found that she admired the woman's independent spirit, although in other ways Parker's mother was completely incomprehensible. Sometimes, when the baby-sitter canceled and Booth was unavailable, Brennan would watch Parker.

Although the two made no conscious decision to keep it from the other squints, they just didn't talk about the time they spent together outside of work. A few weeks before Christmas, Rebecca's company sent her to training in New York, so Booth had Parker for the week. He was thrilled to have the time with his son and disappointed when he couldn't get the whole week off.

Thursday of that week, she received a midmorning call. She picked up the phone.

"Brennan" she said.

"Is this Dr. Temperance Brennan?" the female voice on the other end asked.

"Yes. This is she," she replied cautiously.

The other woman let out a sigh of relief. "This is Mrs. Sturgis, the secretary at Parker Booth's school. His father gave us your name in case we couldn't get a hold of him."

Brennan didn't consider herself very maternal, but for the school to be calling Booth…

"Is something wrong?" she asked.

"Parker fell off the monkey bars during recess and the school nurse thinks he might have a concussion. We attempted to reach the boy's father, but he isn't answering his phone," Mrs. Sturgis explained.

Brennan glanced at the clock and replied, "Booth said he had an important meeting with his boss today. It must be now. I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

She stood up, grabbed her purse and started toward the exit.

"Bren, where are you going? We have a meeting with Cam in two minutes." Angela said.

"Tell Cam something came up," the anthropologist called back over her shoulder as she strode down the long hallway.

"Bren?" Angela's voice echoed down the hallway after her.

True to her word, she was walking into Parker's school fifteen minutes later. The secretary showed her to the nurse's office. Parker was sitting quietly on a chair next to the concerned-looking nurse.

"Dr. Bones," he said happily, when she walked in. "Did you bring my daddy?"

"No, Parker. He's in an important meeting. We'll see him soon," she reassured him.

The nurse stood and Brennan sat down next to the boy. He crawled into her lap and she wrapped her arms around him.

"Can you tell me what happened?" she asked.

"I was sitting on the top monkey bar. It was really high and I wasn't even scared! But a soccer ball hit one of the poles and I lost my balance and fell off. Now my head hurts," he answered.

"Well, I think we should take you to the doctor to make sure you just have a headache and nothing more," she said.

She stood up with him. At seven he was almost too big to carry, but when she tried to put him down he clutched her tightly. She returned to the office.

"Mrs. Sturgis, I'd like to take him to the doctor. Can I sign him out?" she asked.

"Yes. You're listed as the emergency contact next to his mother and father," the woman answered. Brennan was surprised. 'Why didn't they tell me?' she wondered.

She took him to her car and carefully buckled him in. 'If I'm going to take him around in my car, I might need one of those… what're they called? oh, yeah, child safety seats,' she thought.

She climbed into the driver seat and then got out her cell phone. Booth and Rebecca had given her all numbers she'd need the first time she'd babysat Parker. I just need to remember where on my Treo I put them. After a couple of tries she found the information for his pediatrician. She called them to say she was bringing him in and then pulled out a map to figure out how to get there from her current location.

The office wasn't far and soon they were waiting for Parker's name to be called. Brennan read to him while they waited, knowing that if he had a concussion he shouldn't sleep. The doctor saw Parker about half an hour later.

As they walked to the exam room, she noticed that he was walking a little funny. After a quick examination the doctor thought it was unlikely he had a concussion. The headache was simply a side effect of the fall.

"The fall appears to have affected his spinal column," Dr. Brennan announced.

He gave her a funny look, but asked Parker to walk down the small room away from them.

"I agree," he said. "How did you know?"

"I'm a forensic anthropologist," she replied. "Bones are kind of… my thing."

"Well, everything should be fine in a few days. If it's not, let me know and I'll refer him to a chiropractor," he said. "If you could tell that, why did you bother to bring him in? I'm sure you know the signs of a concussion as well as I do."

"I am not a medical doctor. Parker's father would have believed me, but I think his mother would want you to look at him," she answered.

"Speaking of his parents, why are you here instead of one of them?"

"Rebecca is out of town at the moment and the school was unable to reach his father," she answered, shrugging uncomfortably.

As soon as she signed the necessary forms, Brennan and Parker left the doctor's office and headed to the Jeffersonian.

"Your daddy's supposed to have lunch with me today. How about you hang out with me until he comes and we can surprise him?" she suggested.

"Yeah!" Parker said enthusiastically. Now that aspirin had taken care of his headache, he was beginning to feel better.

When they got to security, she signed him in and clipped the visitor badge to his shirt. She crouched down across from him and said, "You know what? We need to get you a real one of these. You visit often enough…"

His eyes lit up at the thought and he started talking about how much he loved coming to visit her and the bug guy and the artist. While he talked, she offered him a hand and he slipped his small hand into her larger one. Together they walked down the hallway into the lab.

"Dr. Brennan, where have you been?" Cam said from her position on the platform.

"Perhaps we could discuss it in my office," she replied coolly. "I'd rather not expose Parker to whatever happens to be on the platform right now."

Cam's head came up in surprise. "Parker? What's he doing here?" But she headed off the platform, following Brennan and Parker to the anthropologist's office.

"Does his presence here now have something to do with your absence from the meeting?" Cam asked.

"Yes. Parker sustained a minor injury at school and they couldn't reach Booth," she replied.

"So they called you?" Cam queried.

Brennan shrugged.

"Booth should be here soon to pick up some files from our last case," she said. "If there's nothing urgent I'll just keep Parker here with me. If you need something, I'll ask Angela if she could keep an eye on him for a few minutes."

"That's fine," Cam said.

As she exited the office, Angela waltzed in.

"Did I hear you say something about Parker, sweetie?" the artist asked.

"Hi, Angela," Parker piped up from his seat on the couch. "Did you come to draw with me?"

"In just a minute. I need to get my supplies," she said, smiling at Parker.

She shot a questioning look at her friend.

"Rebecca is out of town and Booth wasn't answering his phone. Parker fell off the monkey bars and hurt his head. I took him to the pediatrician to make sure he didn't have a concussion," the anthropologist replied, summarizing the past hour and a half.

"Wait, Rebecca is out of town and Booth was unavailable, so the school called you?" Angela asked in disbelief.

Brennan shrugged. "They put me on his emergency contact list," she responded.

Angela shook her head and left the office, wondering how Brennan could still be so oblivious. Booth trusted her with his son; what more proof did she need?

"Do you want to come play a game with me on the computer, Parker?" Brennan asked.

He replied, "No. I'll wait 'til Angela comes back to draw with me."

When Booth arrived half an hour later, he found Brennan in her office doing paperwork and Angela drawing with his son.

"Daddy," Parker cried happily. "You're here. Can we go to lunch now? I want chicken nuggets."

"Okay. Just let me talk to Bones for a minute and then we can go. Do you mind staying with him a minute Angela?" Booth asked.

At Angela's nod, he pulled Brennan out of the office.

"What's Parker doing here?" he demanded.

"Calm down, Booth. He's fine. The school called me when they couldn't get a hold of you. He fell off the monkey bars at school. Trauma to the left parietal as a result of the fall caused his head to ache and the school nurse was concerned that he might have a concussion. I took him to the pediatrician. The doctor said he's fine. I just wasn't sure what to do with him afterward. I knew you would be coming around lunchtime, so we waited for you," she explained.

"I didn't get a voice message from them," Booth said.

"Did you have your phone with you in the meeting?" she asked.

When he shook his head, she followed that question with another. "Did you remember to check your voicemail afterward?"

"I was in a hurry to get here…" he started, pulling the phone from his pocket. He flipped it open and listened to his messages.

He smiled sheepishly at her. "I'm so glad they were able to get a hold of you. Thank you for taking care of my son," he said sincerely.

He took a few steps into the office and said, "Are you ready for lunch, bub?"

"Yeah, let's go, Daddy," Parker said, jumping to his feet and running over to his father.

In the end, everyone except Cam ended up going with them to the diner. After lunch was over, Hodgins, Angela and Zach headed back to the lab, while Booth and Brennan took Parker back to school.

AN: I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. :-)
CheeseBK
CheeseBK
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next