Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Lesson in Anthropology -- posted by Rosie [11/09/2007]

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

A Lesson in Anthropology -- posted by Rosie [11/09/2007] - Page 2 Empty Re: A Lesson in Anthropology -- posted by Rosie [11/09/2007]

Post by squirtandmilo Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:28 pm

Posted 10/10/2007 21:07:44 (10/10/2007 12:07:44 AM) otismotis

I had to read this one again, as as it had been quite a while. Of course, it rocks and I join the others, want more, more, soon. Hope you get your wireless, internet fixed soon. You are an amazing writer and I always enjoy your stories. More soon, please.
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 17139
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

A Lesson in Anthropology -- posted by Rosie [11/09/2007] - Page 2 Empty Re: A Lesson in Anthropology -- posted by Rosie [11/09/2007]

Post by squirtandmilo Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:28 pm

Posted 10/10/2007 21:49:47 (10/10/2007 12:49:47 AM) BGWGscienceteacher

Was hoping for an update. Computers and internet are great when they work, and a bitch when they don't.
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by squirtandmilo Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:29 pm

Posted 13/10/2007 01:59:55 (12/10/2007 04:59:55 PM) Rosie

WOOHOO Finally an update!! I'm so very sorry it's taken so long! I really hope you like this chapter - it was so much fun to write!!
Thank you for reading!!

The smell of dew on the plants around them hit them in a wave of simple refreshment the next morning. The sun had just recently come up, and they knew it couldn’t be more than 6AM.

After running on and off for most of the night the partners knew that, for now, they had escaped their pursuers. However, Booth couldn’t get rid of the sinking feeling that they had just left them to die in the jungle. Never once did they see anyone chasing them when they escaped; it was as if they knew that the jungle would kill Booth and Brennan for them.
They hadn’t spoken more than a few words the entire time they had been walking, not because they were avoiding each other but because they were very caught up in their own thoughts. How would they ever find their way back to the tribe? Did everyone in the tribe think they were dead? Questions like these haunted them.

With no compass, no map, and only a knife to protect them, they knew that the chances of their survival were not very good.

“We need water” Booth said as they slowed their walking pace and glanced over at Brennan who, like he, was covered in sweat, blood, and dirt.

Brennan nodded and peered looked around their surroundings. She walked over to a short tree and plucked one of its broad leaves which was splashed with morning dew. Booth caught on immediately and did the same thing. So there they were, plucking leaves in the middle of the jungle and drinking the water off of them.

“This is so surreal…” Booth said, shaking his head. “Do you ever just stop and think what the hell we’re doing here?” he asked, smirking slightly.

Brennan was silent for a moment, as she clearly didn’t catch on to the playfulness in his tone. “This is my fault we’re here. Coming on this sabbatical was impulsive and –“

“And the best decision you ever made.” Booth said, cutting off her words. He walked toward her and tried to get her to look at him.

“I mean… do you really think you would have let me kiss you if we weren’t prisoners in a mud hut? Really, now…” Booth said, loving the way that he could make her blush.

Brennan smiled slightly and then brushed his hand away from her face. “Booth, you could have died. If you hadn’t gotten out in time…” her voice trailed off.

“Well, good thing you’re fearless with weapons.” Booth said, raising his eyebrows as he referred to her expert use of the knife on their captors. “Impressive, by the way…”

“Does that mean I get a gun?” she asked as she plucked off another leaf and flicked a tiny insect off of its glossy exterior.

Booth laughed. “Bones if you get us out of here, I’ll give you anything you want.”

Brennan sighed and put a hand on her hip.

They honestly had no idea where to go. Peering around, there were no sign of tracks and nothing to be seen along the horizon. Sparse trees stood up like looming observers, as if they held all the answers but couldn’t share them; but instead carried their secret in the dusty wind.

They continued to walk at a reasonable pace, and their senses were on high alert in case a predator had them in their sights. Brennan was so focused on staring at the horizon that it took her a moment to realize that Booth had taken her hand in his.

Glancing down at their intertwined hands, she marveled at just how much they had been through together. The cuts and scrapes that marked their hands stood as a testament to what they had experienced, but had always pulled through together.

Though completely irrational, a part of Brennan’s mind came to the conclusion that even though they were completely vulnerable and lost in the desert, with her hand in his she had never felt safer.

They continued to walk for that entire day, their stomachs growling impatiently for food though both Booth and Brennan knew they had none. Booth refused to think about what would happen if they never found the tribe and were lost out here forever. Brennan would surely be the first to perish – he could tell she was trying her best to keep up, but she was growing weaker by the hour. If the heat stroke didn’t get to them, then the hunger certainly would.

“You want to take a break?” Booth asked as he shielded the early afternoon sun from his eyes to glance at his partner.

“I just need to fix my shoe…” she mumbled as she knelt to fix the strap on her athletic sandal. Their shoes were literally wearing out, and the insects were attacking their legs as if they were made of sugar.

“We should rest… if we exert ourselves too much… we don’t have water…” Booth was trying to find the words to complete his sentence, but he knew it wasn’t worth the energy. Brennan knew exactly what he meant, and for that connection he was very grateful.

All of the Ranger training that Booth had been through in his time in the military had been daunting, but never as physically wiping as this. However, it was more the idea that they were lost that was getting to Booth mentally. He had to find a way to get them back. After all, ensuring Brennan’s safety was the number one reason he was here.

After fixing her sandal, Brennan got up from her crouching position much too quickly. Feeling nauseously light-headed, she stumbled slightly as a multitude of stars imploded into her vision.

Booth was there in an instant and she leaned against him for support. He wrapped his arms around her to support her, and looked around desperately for a place to sit her in the shade.

“Bones…” Booth said, with a hint of panic entering his voice.

“I’m okay.” She rasped into his sweaty shirt. “We have to keep going.”

“Temperance you have heat stroke, we can’t keep going until you regain some strength.”

Brennan leaned against him for a few minutes more and then slowly backed away, as if testing the strength in her legs. Booth’s hands hovered around her body, so that he would be there ready to catch her if she fell.

“We have to find somewhere to go before it gets dark.” She continued as her usual vigor and assertiveness reentered her voice.

Still not convinced Booth frowned. “Let’s sit for a minute. Please?” he asked, praying that just this once she wouldn’t put up a fight.

Brennan was silent for a moment, and then finally let Booth gently guide her down to the ground. He sat next to her and motioned for her to lean against him, which she unwillingly did.

“I’m fine, you know.” Brennan muttered as she flicked another insect off her arm.

“Oh, me too. We’re so fine.” Booth said, both quietly and playfully at the same time.

Brennan sighed and let her eyes tiredly scan across the horizon. The extreme heat swirled around the edges of the horizon, making it almost seem as if it was moving. All of a sudden, a tiny dark spot appeared from very far away.

Brennan blinked several times, but the dot never disappeared. Her heart sank then, as she knew that the heat stroke was extremely getting to her. Should she tell Booth? He would probably just worry. Although, it was better that he knew she was hallucinating…

“Booth…” she began but was cut off when she felt his chest tighten from behind her head.

“Bones, do you see that?” Booth asked, praying so hard that it nearly hurt.

“You can see it too?” She replied, feeling like a giddy teenager at the prospect of what this might mean.

Heat stroke or no heat stroke, the two wanderers sat up straight and watched in awe as the dark spot came closer and closer toward them. It was approaching at a relatively fast speed, and a cloud of dust was being sprayed up behind it.

“Oh my God…” Booth said as he immediately stood up, reaching with two hands to help Brennan to her feet.

“Is that a…” Brennan’s voice trailed off and a tense silence for a painful few seconds until it finally dawned on them what it was.

“It’s a BUS!” Booth shouted, instantly feeling such an immense rush of adrenaline that he literally jumped up and waved his hands, hoping that the driver could see them too.

“It’s a bus!” Brennan repeated, glancing over at Booth with tears of relief and happiness threatening to pour out at any moment.

Booth grabbed Brennan by the waist and lifted her off the ground slightly as they both smiled as hard as they had in ages. Overcome with relief, Booth pressed his hot lips against her smiling mouth and kissed her tenderly. Still weak from her previous stumble, Brennan leaned into him willingly and wrapped her hands around the back of his neck for support. They still had no idea what this new level of their relationship meant, but at this point neither one of them second guessed this moment of intimacy.

The kiss continued for a few more seconds until the rational side of Brennan finally kicked in. She pulled her face away gently and whispered, “Booth! The bus!”

“Oh right!” Booth said, instantly reminded of the fact that they were not quite yet safe. He broke away from Brennan and started waving his hands and jumping.

“Over here! Stop!” they both shouted over and over again. The sound of their voices echoed over the empty planes, but was soon accompanied by the sound of the bus engine.

The bus got closer and closer and Brennan hoped she wasn’t just hallucinating when she thought it had started to decrease its speed. They were unable to make out what it said, but there was something oddly familiar about it.

The bus pulled to a stop about 100 feet from the exhausted partners, and a short man barreled out of the door as fast as he could.

“Leedo!” Brennan and Booth shouted almost in unison. Leedo ran toward them at full speed, and they started to walk toward him half way.

Leedo was nearly completely out of breath when he finally reached them. “What you doing out here?” He managed, still wheezing heavily from the exertion.

“It’s a long story – can you take us back to Effetis?” Brennan asked before Booth could respond. His arm was still securely around her and her voice held an edge of desperation.

“Come, come!” Leedo said, bobbing his head animatedly. “We have water! You must rest!” he continued as he ran to restart the bus. Brennan and Booth walked toward the bus feeling as if they were the luckiest people in the entire world at that moment. It never ceased to amaze them just how much they could survive when they had each other.

After making his new favourite passengers were comfortable, Leedo turned the bus around and began making his way to the Effetis tribe. He peppered them with questions, but neither Brennan nor Booth were able to respond with their usual vigor. Knowing that the couple needed to rest, Leedo settled in for the drive ahead.

Brennan leaned her body closer to Booth’s and grasped his hand in hers. They looked at each other; their eyes portraying a silent message that a thousand words could never accurately communicate. After beating the odds time after time, they never ceased to find safety in each other’s company.
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Posted 13/10/2007 03:13:01 (12/10/2007 06:13:01 PM) A2BOREANAZ

hola my spicy burrito......ha........

read this on the other site....lol...and oh my goodness....it was nice rosie.....oh how i love these two...cant say it enough....and so touched that he is so protective of her...but shouldnt be surprised by that should i....and on the bus holding hands...awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...and i was so glad it was a bus and they were hallucinating.....i was scared for a second......great great great job woman...loved it
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Posted 13/10/2007 05:27:58 (12/10/2007 08:27:58 PM) ashangel45-boothsbaby07

EEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love this fic soo much! great job girl!
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by squirtandmilo Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:30 pm

Posted 13/10/2007 19:46:06 (13/10/2007 10:46:06 AM) DBAngelfan

yaaaay...I knew I should have come yesterday lol
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Posted 15/10/2007 09:06:46 (15/10/2007 00:06:46 AM) CaRiNeSs

I am so glad you posted more Rosie and that they are okay!!! I hope they just go home and don't stay to observe or whatever...great chapter! Please post more soon!
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Posted 15/10/2007 19:01:33 (15/10/2007 10:01:33 AM) miller0259

WOOOHOOOO!!! a new chapter!!! nicely done!
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by squirtandmilo Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:31 pm

Posted 17/10/2007 02:19:58 (16/10/2007 05:19:58 PM) Hope1515

aww! i love it! more please?
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by squirtandmilo Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:32 pm

Posted 30/10/2007 04:45:42 (29/10/2007 07:45:42 PM) Rosie

WOOHOO! Okay so this post is technically 2 chapters, but I thought I'd post them both at once!
Thank you SO MUCH for sticking with me, guys! It means so much to me that people still read this, because I don't think I've ever had so much fun with a story! xoxoxo love you guys!

Previously: Brennan and Booth are rescued in the desert after escaping their kidnappers.
CHAPTER THIRTEEN/FOURTEEN

It was hard to believe how much had changed in one month. A forensic anthropologist and an FBI agent had flown half way across the world to live with an African tribe. They had had their ups and downs, but had learned so much about each other and from each other. They’d nearly been killed; they’d admitted their relationship ran deeper than a partnership or friendship ever could.

But, more specifically, it was hard to believe how much had changed just in thirty minutes. Brennan and Booth had been stranded in the middle of the African desert with little hope for ever returning to Effetis alive. But now they sat on a rickety old bus careening through to desert towards the dusty village that they had learned to call home.

After finishing off two water bottles, Booth and Brennan sighed happily in unison before glancing at each other and chuckling at their symmetry. They’d hardly spoken a word to each other since they’d boarded the bus – each of them were still reflecting over the events of the past 48 hours.

“We’re going to be okay.” Brennan said finally, as if feeling the need to clearly highlight the bottom line of their situation.

“I told you so…” Booth said teasingly, rubbing his tired eyes.

“Booth, there’s no way you could have known that we’d be rescued.” Brennan replied as she eyed him skeptically.

“It was a joke, Bones…” Booth raised his arm to wrap it around her shoulder and pull her closer.

“Oh God, I smell like a gym locker…” he said disgustedly as he pulled back his arm and looked at Brennan apologetically.

Brennan chuckled and gave him a reassuring smile. “I’m not much better. I think that after this long we’re both pretty used to it.”

“Yeah, and think being the operative word there, Bones.” They smiled at each other for a moment but their gaze was torn towards the front of the bus when Leedo spoke up over the noisy engine.

“So you two escaped raid?” Leedo called out in his broken English.

The raid. In the midst of their kidnapping and narrow escape, Booth and Brennan had nearly forgotten about the night that had put them in this situation to begin with. There had been screaming and the echoing sound of crashing pots and splintering wood. Babies were crying, men were yelling…

“Do you know what happened?” Brennan asked quickly, horrified at the thought of the tragedy that may have occurred.

Leedo was silent for a moment, but through the rear view mirror Booth could see the grim line that crossed the man’s normally cheerful face.

“Still don’t know who they were… they destroyed almost everything. They took animals… they raided everything. 7 Effetis were killed.” He said grimly, not wanting to take his eyes off the road.

It took a moment for that message to sink in. The cheerful, peaceful community that Brennan had been studying had been ripped to pieces in one night. Brennan glanced at Booth, and her emotions were mirrored in his own eyes. How could this happen? Why did this happen?

Leedo understood the need for their silence, knowing that it would be hard for them to process. Booth spoke up after a few minutes and briefly explained why they’d been in the desert, and that they people responsible for the raid were the same people who had taken them captive and threatened their lives. Leedo, though worried by their predicament, was not at all surprised that it had happened. Whoever had caused the damage that had plagued their beloved village were certainly capable of it.

“Temperance, I need to talk to you…” Booth started, but stopped when he saw the shocked expression on her face. He moved his glance towards the window she was staring through and clenched his jaw tightly at the sight.

They had returned.

Temperance Brennan was not usually a hugging type of person. Sure, she secretly enjoyed the occasional ‘guy’ hug from her partner, but as she reached out and hugged Leedo as she left the bus she felt something much more.

“Thank you.” She said quietly as she pulled away.

Leedo gave her a sad smile and looked between Booth and Brennan. “Take care of each other.” He said finally and nodded his head for emphasis. “Take care of Effetis” he continued quietly as he sat down in his seat.

Booth and Brennan stepped down the muddy stairs of the bus and reached the dusty ground. This homecoming was certainly different than the last time they’d come to Effetis. Flimsy, makeshift huts were scattered around amongst the remnants of the old village. It was as if they’d entered a graveyard of civilization.

There was hardly anyone in sight, so Brennan and Booth trudged silently around looking for a familiar face. They came across two children who were idly flinging rocks into the ground and laughing at the dust that burst from the ground at impact. Booth was momentarily mesmerized by the innocence of their game, until he heard footsteps coming from behind them.

Menihau, followed by several other people, walked slowly towards the partners. “You are both alive.” He said incredulously.

“We were kidnapped, but we got away.” Booth explained. Booth had never liked or trusted Menihau, but at this point in time there was something comforting about his familiarity.

“Do you know who did this?” Brennan asked, still distracted by the playful children several feet away.

“No. We have enemies on both sides of our boundaries. Effetis has always been blessed with resources and this does not please the other tribes.”

Brennan began to sway a little bit, the effects of her heat stroke not completely cured by the water she’d consumed on the bus. Adrenaline was the only thing that had been feeding her over the past 24 hours, and it was slowly beginning to catch up to her.

Menihau noticed their exhaustion and motioned up to where the partners had been living before their kidnapping. “You should rest. There is not much left to your hut, but you still have a roof and a place to sleep.”

Booth nodded at Menihau and reached out a supporting arm to Brennan. She glanced at him appreciatively but didn’t feel the need to rely on his support physically. She didn’t want to appear weak in a situation like this. Neither of them did.

Booth was silent as they made their way towards the remains of their hut, which was in the same horrible condition as the ones in the central tribe area. He opened up the door flap and motioned for Brennan to enter first.

Brennan sat down on the bed planked and sighed as she looked around at the scattered contents of their backpacks which were strewn around the floor. Very little remained of their personal belongings.

Letting out a shuttered sigh, Booth sat down on the plank across from Brennan’s. “Bones I really need to talk to you about something –“ he began, but was cut off when Brennan leapt to her feet and began rummaging around the contents on the floor.

“My notes!” she hissed, digging meticulously through the junk. An entire month’s worth of data had been collected in those notebooks and the thought of losing that data nearly drove her mad. Finally she spun around and lifted the bed plank she had been sitting on.

There, in the middle of the dust, were three ruddy notebooks. She picked them up and remembered that she must have put them there for safekeeping the day that Booth took her to the waterfall. She’d been afraid that they’d be stolen, though she never knew that that fear could be actualized.

She’d been so caught up in the search for her books that she never paid attention to Booth’s eyes glaring into her.

“Bones, you’re worried about your books at a time like this?” Maybe it was the heat or the exhaustion that was getting to him, but he was getting angry.

She looked at him sharply. “That’s the reason we’re here, Booth.” She sighed and took her seat again. “Now what is it you want to tell me so badly?” she asked, starting to get annoyed at her partner.

“You’re not going to like it.” Booth warned grimly, not looking forward to what was coming next. “Bones, the reason I’m here is to protect you. That’s my job.”

“I know. And you’ve been doing that, Booth.” Brennan said honestly, already feeling oddly guilty about being mad at him moments before.

“You’re not safe here.”

The words were barely out of his mouth when Brennan stood up and confrontationally put her hands on her hips. “We are not leaving.” She said firmly.

“Look, I knew you’d say that but you just have to listen to where I’m coming from. If we hadn’t had that knife we’re be dead right now. Seven people were killed here, and you’re telling me I shouldn’t be worried?”

“I’m not saying you can’t worry, I’m just saying that there’s no way we’re leaving here early just because we’ve been intimidated by those people. We can’t let that affect us, Booth.”

“Bones, they took our gun.”

“We have a knife!” she countered. “And who says they’ll even come back. It seems like they’ve succeeded in taking everything of value in this whole village…”

“This is about more than your study, isn’t it?”

Brennan opened to her mouth to reply, but quickly clamped it shut. The question had caught her slightly off guard. Of course she was here for her work, but she never consciously considered the attachment that she held towards this place.

Her voice softened and she anxiously ran a hand through her dirty hair. “We can’t abandon them, Booth.”

Booth nodded; he already had a feeling Brennan would react this way. “I can’t make you leave. I just wanted to tell you that I’m concerned. Honestly, I don’t want to leave either.”

Brennan looked at him gratefully and began to calm down. She sat back down and thought quietly to herself. “We can really make a difference here.” She said slowly.

“And we will.”

squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Booth woke up the next morning feeling no more rested than he had the previous day. He sighed and rolled over onto his sore back and took a moment to regain his senses. He stared up at the top of the hut and listened to his partner’s even breathing coming from the other side of the room.

He sat up slowly so as not to strain anymore of his tired muscles. He smirked as he saw his partner curled up into a tight ball with one of his shirts balled up into a makeshift pillow. Booth knew she’d kill him if he ever admitted it aloud, but it took this trip to make him realize how adorable she was when she was asleep.

Booth picked up a shirt from the scattered remains of their backpacks and pulled it gruffly over his head. Wearing the same shorts that he’d had on for nearly a week, he slipped into his shoes and stepped outside into the early morning sunshine.

It was surprising how intense the heat was considering it could be no later than 6AM. Booth stretched his muscular arms over his head and yawned. It was then that he heard a faint clanging sound coming from the distance. Knowing that he needed to find something for him and Brennan to eat anyway, Booth walked curiously down the small hill towards where the sound was coming from.

A very sweaty Menihau was staggering towards a pit carrying three very heavy rocks. He grunted as he tossed the clay rocks onto the ground and knelt to stack them upon each other. Booth watched the man carefully and couldn’t help but feel sorry for him. Though they’d never really gotten along, Booth realized what it must be like for him to lose everything. All in a flash, the community that he had strived to protect had been compromised.

In ways, Booth could relate to Menihau’s sense of frustration. He, too, had vowed to protect something and had failed to do that. Under his supervision, he and Brennan had been kidnapped and nearly killed. Though Booth was happy that they were safe, he knew that it would be a while before he’d stop thinking about the mistakes that he had made that could have cost them their lives.

“You need some help?” Booth asked impulsively. He watched as Menihau’s startled eyes shot up at him and stared at Booth for a moment. Booth felt like he was being assessed by the man’s scrutinizing stare.

Menihau didn’t say anything, he just nodded. Much like Booth, Menihau was truly an alpha male and requesting help was seemingly not built into his skills. Satisfied with the man’s silent answer, Booth walked closer.

“I’m building the huts to be stronger. My people will die if they don’t have…” Menihau paused, as if searching for the right words. Booth just nodded his head understandingly and walked over to a pile of fresh clay rocks which likely had been sun baked the day before. Feeling the first rock scrape against his palms, he knew that staying here was the right thing to do.

Booth didn’t have to be an anthropologist to understand the commonalities between this culture and his own. When someone is in need, you do everything you can to help.

Two hours later, Brennan awoke on her rickety wooden plank. She was surprised not to see Booth still sleeping, since usually he was the one who overslept. Brennan sighed and tugged the elastic band out of her hair and raked her hands through it.

It was then that she heard the sound of laughter coming from outside. Laughter? Was she still dreaming? After all the trouble that this tribe had seen in the past few days she was very surprised to hear the sound.

She peeled off her dirty tank top and tossed it on the floor, and pulled one of Booth’s shirts over her head. She’d used it as a pillow the night before, and for some reason it was strangely comforting. She decided not to delve too far into the implications of her feelings for Booth, figuring that there’d be plenty of time for that on the way home and once they got back to DC. Instead, she got up from the bed and went outside to investigate the noise coming from below.

Once outside, Brennan held a hand near her face to block out the blinding rays of the morning sun. After her eyes had become adjusted to the brighter light she was astounded to see Booth talking to Menihau animatedly and helping him carry rocks toward the foundation of one of the dilapidated huts. Brennan couldn’t help but smile widely at the sight. She couldn’t quite make out what Booth was saying to Menihau, but every now and then Menihau would let out a bark of laughter and shake his head at her partner. Not wiping the curious smile from her face, Brennan walked down towards the men.

Two opposing alpha men cooperating towards a common goal? The anthropologist in her couldn’t resist. However, the more Angela-influenced side of Brennan was more intrigued by the very muscular and very shirtless men who were now staring at her.

“Good morning” Brennan said, eyeing Booth with special interest. His heart couldn’t help but jump a little at the sight of her wearing his shirt. He wanted to capture her lips in his right then and there, but he figured that might be a little too soon for their delicate relationship.

“Hey there, Bones” Booth replied, rewarding her with a knowing smile. He knew that she would be happy with him for helping Menihau, but that was only part of the reason he did it. He truly wanted to help these people out as best he could.

Menihau also greeted Brennan warmly before turning his back and walking towards the rock pile to give her and Booth some privacy.

“What were you two laughing at?” Brennan asked curiously as she handed Booth a bottle of water that she’d been carrying.

Booth chuckled. “I might have mentioned something about you stabbing that guy in the arm…”

Brennan shook her head. “That’s not funny. You could have died.”

“I didn’t though. You made sure of that.” Booth winked. Brennan swatted him on the arm and stole the water bottle back, taking a deep gulp. He caught her hand just as it was leaving his arm and he brushed his thumb along her long fingers.

Brennan felt a nearly overwhelming urge to move away from him, but she fought off the sensation knowing that running away from Booth was irrational. She’d denied her feelings for him for at least a year, and logically speaking denial is completely irrational.

With that logical argument in mind, Brennan allowed Booth’s hand to continue its soothing motion on her hand. She smiled slowly and let her eyes trace the definition of his muscular chest. Her free hand gently graced the top of his shorts and Booth’s pulse quickened.

“You like what you see?” Booth said, trying to lighten the mood.

Brennan pursed her lips and then looked up at him seriously. “I think I like the loin cloth better.”

Just then Menihau returned with a huge clay rock in his hands. He grunted from the exertion, causing Booth to snap back to reality.

Brennan nearly laughed at the way he’d reacted to her words, and she was intrigued by the effect she seemed to have on him.

Booth, on the other hand, was slightly more aroused than amused. He debated taking the water bottle and splashing the water over his head, but then decided that they probably needed the water for survival more than he needed it to cool off his attraction for his partner.

Brennan walked towards the pile of rocks to organize them methodically around the base of the hut to provide the most structural benefit. Menihau began to try to discourage her from the hard physical labor, but Booth waved him off. If there was something not to be messed with, it was Temperance Brennan’s will. Though she may not have the same muscular advantage as the two men, she could certainly help get the job done.

And that’s how it started. The three of them had worked tirelessly that entire day, moving from hut to hut and either bringing new supplies in or just tidying up the mess that was left from the raid. It wasn’t long before the other tribe members clued in to the rebuilding that was going on in their community, and soon there was a huge number of people bustling around with supplies and clearing away any unnecessary mess.

For three weeks they followed the same schedule. Brennan and Booth would work all day, and in the evenings Brennan would scribble furiously in her notebook or simply lounge around and talk to Booth.

Their relationship had not yet been consummated, but Brennan was sure that she had never felt the same kind of connection with someone before. Their sense of closeness had only been strengthened by the past months, and of that she was sure. They’d silently accepted that their constant bickering was just an element of their relationship, and so it never really stopped.

“Bones, I’m telling you. The Star Wars movies were made out of order. It started with the last three, and then he made three prequels!” Booth reiterated for the third time that night. It was dark outside and Booth was lying down on his back with his legs lazily sprawled out. Brennan, on the other hand, was sitting up cross legged and was very intent winning this argument. Though their muscles were exceedingly sore, they still found the energy to entertain each other.

“Booth that makes no sense! Surely a director of Steven Spielberg’s caliber would never construct a set of movies out of order.” She countered logically.

“Bones, Bones, Bones…” he muttered tiredly, “George Lucas made Star Wars, you’re thinking of ET.”

“Don’t tell me what I’m thinking.” She scolded.

“Look, have you even seen the Star Wars movies?” He asked, knowing that his victory with regards to this argument was in his grasp.

“Well… no. I saw the first one with Russ, but I’ve never really been into science fiction.”

“I rest my case.” Booth said with a satisfied sigh. He opened his eyes and peered over at Brennan who was fiddling with her broken sandal. She could feel his eyes on her and she felt her heart jump a little when she saw the smile on his face.

“What?” she asked, unable to help the smile that grew that mirrored Booth’s.

“Nothing.” Booth said, knowing that the curiosity would only heighten her interest.

“What?” she asked again, as Booth’s smile only grew. His whole body was browned from the sunlight after all of the time they’d spent working outdoors which only made his sparkling smile taunt her more.

“Come over here and I’ll tell you.” He said playfully, patting at the spot next to him on his makeshift bed.

Brennan rolled her eyes and put the sandal back on the floor, knowing that fixing it would be a lost cause. She crawled over the few feet to where Booth lay and then sat down again.

“Nope. Closer.” He said, shaking his head.

“You’re like a baby.” Brennan said, rolling her eyes again.

“Did you just call me baby, baby?”

“What? No!” Brennan said, shaking her head vehemently. He laughed at her reaction and watched as she leaned in closer. “What is it?” she asked.

Booth, still lying down, peered up at her and pursed his lips, pretending to decide whether or not to quench her curiosity. He reached up and tucked her hair behind her ear and whispered into it.

“You’re beautiful.” He said.

Brennan’s eyes widened and she looked down at him like he was crazy. After nearly two months in the desert, she was very doubtful that that statement was true. She opened her mouth to refute his comment, but she didn’t have it in to do it. She had no idea what to say, so she very slowly brought her face even closer to his.

Without giving it more than a second thought, which was very unlike Brennan, she lowered her mouth to his and kissed him gently. Her fingers traced his cheekbone and she could feel his hands rub their way from her lower back to her shoulders. He pulled her body closer to his as he deepened the kiss.

Booth had resisted the urge to further their intimate relationship over the past few weeks because he didn’t want to freak Brennan out or ruin the special connection that they had. It was becoming almost impossible to watch her sleep on the other side of the hut and not walk over there and take her in his arms. But now that Brennan had taken a step, it was like she was giving him her permission to fuel a fire that had been lit long ago.

The kiss quickly grew from being tender to being extremely passionate. It was as if all of their pent of sexual tension was being released all at once. His hands still on her shoulders, he move her body on top of his own. His breath hitched as her legs straddled him, and their lips never parted.

Stopping only momentarily for air, Brennan pulled away and looked at him worriedly. “What happens when we go home?” she said breathlessly, finding the need to vocalize the words that had been on her mind since that day at the waterfall. What were they doing? Would this ruin their working relationship when they returned home? Would Cullen split them up? Would they keep it a secret?

It took a moment for Booth to retain his ability to speak. He was so caught up with the feeling of her body, but he knew that she needed reassurance that he wasn’t going to just dismiss this as a vacation fling, or anything else.

“Bones, what do you think happens?” Booth asked, already knowing the answer. Unable to resist any longer, he began to trail kisses down her throat and made his way to her lips again.

“You can’t answer a question with a question.” She said, before gasping slightly at the feel of his tongue teasing her lower lip.

Booth smiled at her comment and brought her head to his chest, rubbing circles along her back. “Promise me you won’t get mad?” he whispered.

“Promise” she nodded into his chest, feeling so secure with his arms around her.

“I really, really need to be with you. And if going back to DC means that things will go back to the way they were, then I’m never going home.”

TBC!!
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Posted 30/10/2007 04:58:14 (29/10/2007 07:58:14 PM) hifi22

Wowza Rosie - that was HOT! Booth all tanned in the African heat.......too bad I packed up all my fans for the season. Loved this chap/chapters! Can't wait for the TBC part!!
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by squirtandmilo Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:33 pm

Posted 30/10/2007 05:31:28 (29/10/2007 08:31:28 PM) Bella Loony

Rosie!!

Woohoo, I am so stupid, I had no idea it was over here!! OI, can you ever forgive me?? This chapter was brilliant(but we've already gone over this) Don't ever worry that this story will drag on, it's not like you're me, you have talent!! Keep it going!! Great job sweetie, and where can I sign up to get me a kiss like that? Yummo!! Can't wait for more, you ROCK!!

Bella

--Last edited by bella loony on 2007-10-29 20:31:52 --
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Posted 30/10/2007 06:02:34 (29/10/2007 09:02:34 PM) BGWGscienceteacher

That was really good! I can just see the smile on her face, or at least it should be a smile. The question I'm asking myself is if they start a physical relationship where is the birthcontrol in the desert of Africa? Of course since it is Booth we are talking about, I'd be more than willing to risk it
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Posted 30/10/2007 07:31:47 (29/10/2007 10:31:47 PM) saraluvzbonz

BGWG, she probably took it with her. You can't buy hormonal birth control in most third world countries; the only thing available are condoms (I've been to Africa and have friends that live in other third world countries). She's traveled enough to know that. The kidnapping would probably have upset her routine or the pills were stolen.
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by squirtandmilo Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:34 pm

Posted 30/10/2007 07:43:05 (29/10/2007 10:43:05 PM) willgirl

Rosie! WOOHOO! I didn't realize that you posted! Awesome chapter! Loved it lots! Who would want to go back to DC when you've got hottie Booth there with you? Love it and I can't wait for the next chap!
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Posted 31/10/2007 23:16:32 (31/10/2007 02:16:32 PM) miller0259

*thud* I can't *thud* oh my...
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Posted 01/11/2007 10:21:33 (01/11/2007 01:21:33 AM) DBAngelfan

yaaaay more more more!
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by squirtandmilo Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:35 pm

Posted 02/11/2007 06:17:31 (01/11/2007 09:17:31 PM) nane

Beautiful ending. Guess it was the beginning of the promised fluff?

More fun under the sun please!
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by squirtandmilo Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:35 pm

Posted 02/11/2007 19:59:14 (02/11/2007 10:59:14 AM) CaRiNeSs

Awww.... I hope they go home and everything works out!! Too cute Rosie...glad they aren't rushing it....can't wait to see what happens next so please post more soon!!!
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by squirtandmilo Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:36 pm

Posted 05/11/2007 02:27:19 (04/11/2007 05:27:19 PM) jerseybones

“I really, really need to be with you. And if going back to DC means that things will go back to the way they were, then I’m never going home.”

That-a-boy Booth. You get your girl.
And that-a-girl Rosie, you keep leaving us breathless.

Damn, this story ROCKS!!!
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Posted 05/11/2007 14:38:31 (05/11/2007 05:38:31 AM) CheeseBK

this story is so good.... and booth working shirtless - yummy
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Posted 06/11/2007 00:11:20 (05/11/2007 03:11:20 PM) ashangel45-boothsbaby07

ROSSSIIIIEEEE!!!!!! I love this story. love love love it! It can NEVER end, do you hear me? NEVER!!!

=) hehe.
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by squirtandmilo Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:37 pm

Posted 08/12/2007 06:31:35 (07/12/2007 09:31:35 PM) Rosie

*waves frantically*
Guys!! I'm so sorry I haven't been here in SO LONG! I've officially come out of my study-induced coma to bring you a new chapter! It's not really very long... but the next one will be! This is the second last chapter! I'm very, very sad that it's ending.. but I'll never forget writing this! It's been such a blast!
Thank you SO MUCH for sticking with me and reviewing and everything! This would never have been finished without you guys!
I'll be posting the last chapter this weekend at some point! I hope you enjoy this one... xo!

CHAPTER 15
Brennan let out a shuddered breath and glanced down at her tattered notebook. She flicked an insect off her sun-kissed thigh and rested her chin in her hands. She had been sitting alone outside for nearly an hour watching the growing activity in the village below as the sun continued to set.

The attack on Effetis just over three weeks ago had drastically hurt the morale of the village, though it was as if the aftermath of that night had strengthened them all as a coherent unit. Huts had been rebuilt, and the pain over the death of two of their own was beginning to be replaced with a sense of determination and celebration.

Brennan glanced up at the sky and closed her eyes as the very last rays of sunset warmed her skin. This would be the very last sunset she would spend here in Effetis. Transportation would arrive early tomorrow morning to whisk her and Booth back to the ‘civilized’ confines of the airport they had landed in two months ago.

It was hard to believe that it had been so long since they’d had the luxury of electric lights or the hounding commercialism of Western society. Though she had been on many trips around the world for the purposes of forensic identification, there was something so charming and simple about the ways of Effetis.

She had come here for one reason and one reason only: to provide reputable and ample observational data to the Jeffersonian on a developing African tribe. However, the moment Brennan and Booth had stepped off that plane and into the choking heat she knew that her purpose here would be far greater than that. Though it was not her intention to draw conclusions from her observations, the similarities between Effetis and Western society were very striking and strangely endearing.

“There you are.” A familiar voice said from behind her. Brennan snapped out of her reflective state and turned to see Booth grinning at her with his muscular arms crossed against his chest. She did not reply verbally, but instead smiled at him slightly and motioned for him to sit on the ground beside her.

Sitting down on the dusty ground, he moved closer to Brennan so that their shoulders were touching. “Just observing?” he asked, glancing at the notebook that was open on her lap.

“I was, but I’ve just been thinking.”

“Uh oh…” Booth teased, and was rewarded with a playful punch from Brennan.

“This is our last sunset, you know.” She said as she drew her knees up to her chin and set the notebook down on the ground beside her.

Booth was quiet for a moment before replying. “No, it’s not.” He said finally as he shook his head.

“We leave tomorrow morning.” She said blankly.

“I know, but that doesn’t make this our last sunset. This is the last time we watch the sun set here in the village, but there’ll be thousands of other sunsets still out there for us to watch.” Booth said, choosing his words carefully. He didn’t want to presume that his relationship with Brennan would continue for the years to come, though he knew in his heart that it would.

“How poetic.” She smiled as she leaned against him. The warmth of the sun was nothing compared to the warmth Brennan felt as she leaned her head on Booth’s shoulder.

“Yeah, well, there’s no need for people to know that I’m a…”

“A romantic?” she supplied.

“You words, not mine.” Booth corrected as he let his fingers trail up and down Brennan’s upper arm.

Without turning around, Booth knew that they were not alone up on that hill. He glanced over to see Menihau walking towards them, his long draping cape kicking up dust as he walked.

“Hello.” Menihau greeted deeply as he finally reached Booth and Brennan.

Brennan immediately moved her head up from Booth’s shoulder before they both stood up to greet him.

“I have come to escort you to dinner.” Menihau said proudly. The tribe was aware that this was the last night for their foreign visitors, who had become very well known and appreciated in their village.

“Menihau, your people didn’t have to –” Brennan began, but was cut off when Menihau raised a hand and shook his head.

“No, no, the people have insisted. You have both done so much to help us. Now, come!” he smiled as he trudged down the hill and beckoned Brennan and Booth to follow him.

“What, no loin cloth?” Booth whispered to Brennan, causing her to chuckle. “You sound so disappointed…” he continued.

“Save it, Tarzan.”

The last red rays of sunset had pierced through the pink clouds, and darkness was slowly setting over the village. Booth and Brennan had been ushered to sit down in the circle on the right hand side of Menihau. Large bowls of food had been passed around the circle, and each person had taken their share while animatedly talking to the people sitting near them.

Booth and Brennan had grown accustomed to the incomprehensible babble of conversations in this tribe, and had even learnt several phrases and words in the Effetis tongue. However, there was something fascinating about just sitting back and listening to these people chat on about their day in a language completely foreign to their American visitors.

Brennan was staring at the hypnotizing fire and munching away on the contents of her small food bowl when Booth nudged her and leaned over to whisper in her ear.

“How cool is this?” he whispered. It seemed that he, too, had been enjoying observing the tribe that they had come to call home.

“Very surreal” she agreed, beaming at him. The light from the fire shone in her eyes, and Booth was sure he’d never seen her glow so brilliantly. Brennan was clearly in her element, and the fact that Booth could be there to share this moment and appreciate it with her made it so much more perfect.

Booth was about to say something more, when all of a sudden cheering and clapping broke out from the other side of the fire. Brennan strained to see what the commotion was, and grinned as she saw three men jump up from the circle and begin to dance to the rhythm of their clapping audience.

Their enthusiasm was infectious, and soon the entire tribe was clapping their hands slowly joining in on the celebration. Mothers set aside their bowls to jump up and dance with their children, and Menihau began to chant joyously to a tune neither Booth nor Brennan had ever heard before.

“Dance with me?” Booth asked as he flashed her a boyish grin. He stood and then offered his hand to her as he waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

“I’d love to” she conceded, placing her small hand in his and joining in on the festivity. Booth twirled her around in a circle before they each jumped around and laughed foolishly, just like everyone else.

The dance was completely unlike anything that could be experienced back in DC, where nightclubs would blare music as sweaty partiers would grind their bodies up against their partners. Women would shake their hips suggestively as men would employ the least awkward and socially acceptable moves to win over potential mates.

No, dancing around this fire was completely different. Hands were raised, children were laughing, and it was purely a display of expression and celebration. The only limits to the creativity of their movements were found in the rhythm of the clapping hands and flickering flames.

Brennan threw her hands above her head and danced around in a circle; her auburn hair flew freely around her and shone in the glowing light of the fire. She laughed as Booth grabbed her by the waist and spun her in a circle. If anyone back home were to see them acting like this, they’d quickly be deemed crazy. However, there was something so liberating about being on the other side of the world and free from all judgment.

Because, in this very second, nothing else mattered. There were no human remains to identify, there were no bad guys to chase, no paperwork, no deadlines, nothing. There was just the joy in knowing that no matter where you might be in the world, you can never be far from happiness.

TBC!
Haha nothing says fun like an impromptu tribal DANCE PARTY!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it, and I can't wait to write the last chapter. Is there anything you guys are particularly looking for? Romantic? Hilarious? Descrďptive? Let me know!!

You guys rule!! XOXO!
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by squirtandmilo Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:37 pm

Posted 08/12/2007 06:52:25 (07/12/2007 09:52:25 PM) fanofbones

anything as long as nakid and descrďptive Booth is involved...
I have no doubt you will rock it girl...
loved this chapter...so sweet...
and the visuals you have given us throughout were breathtaking....

hugs we have missed ya and this fic
fab
squirtandmilo
squirtandmilo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next