Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Becoming a couple: shows with it during or at the very end.

+14
royaldinerlurker
ddc
bones206
gordongordonfan
Lo
andreana22
HermioneGirl101
katharine
treble21
bailey
elyon
mereva
joybrennan
SnoopGirl
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Becoming a couple: shows with it during or at the very end. Empty Re: Becoming a couple: shows with it during or at the very end.

Post by SnoopGirl Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:53 am

Can anyone give a list of which shows had the leading man and woman get together at the end of the show - last episode of show?
Only one I watched was JAG.
And which shows were there/are there that have leading man and woman together personally and professionally?
I strongly believe with creativity BONES would be a great show with Booth and Brennan together personally and professionally and would last longer than if they are kept apart. They don't have to get married, live together or even have a baby together but they should be together and the episodes would be amazing.

SnoopGirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9669
Say What You Want : Snoop I love you DB's Smile Smile

Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Becoming a couple: shows with it during or at the very end. Empty Re: Becoming a couple: shows with it during or at the very end.

Post by joybrennan Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:09 am

SnoopGirl wrote:Can anyone give a list of which shows had the leading man and woman get together at the end of the show - last episode of show?
And which shows were there/are there that have leading man and woman together personally and professionally?
I strongly believe with creativity BONES would be a great show with Booth and Brennan together personally and professionally and would last longer than if they are kept apart. They don't have to get married, live together or even have a baby together but they should be together and the episodes would be amazing.

I don't know about a list, but for X-files it was the last episode - after IMO an awful 3-4 seasons.
The only show I can think of where they were together as partners doing the same job is Lois & Clark - the New Adventures of Superman. It worked pretty well - until they stalled on putting them completely together. As soon as they got afraid of them actually getting married and having full-blown sex (they played it as "everything but" lol) it started getting stupid and going downhill. Burn Notice sort of has it, but it's not exactly a job, and they aren't always together. In The Closer they have jobs that cross together at times, but she's police, he's FBI.
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1532
Say What You Want : I like to see the roller-coaster before I get on it. I mean, how many loops are we talking here?
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by mereva Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:36 am

SnoopGirl wrote:Can anyone give a list of which shows had the leading man and woman get together at the end of the show - last episode of show?
Getting together in the last scene... Add "Remington Steele" to the list: the leading couple got together in the very last scene of the very last episode. It was bad.
And of course there was the infamous "Moonlighting". It was even worse.
mereva
mereva
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1841
Say What You Want : I'm frustrated and very annoyed by HH's 'brilliant ideas'.
All the credits for my avatar go to christinaof94 from LJ.
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:44 am

Lots of togetherness today: The Closer, Burn Notice, Chuck, the new NBC show Under Covers, just to mention a few. The whole 'dancing around each other until they're too old to dance' is just sad. Booth wishes happiness for Brennan, and a dance, but at this rate they'll both be in walkers by the time they get there.

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1073
Say What You Want : Pyramids are better at change than you are.
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by bailey Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:26 am

It wasn't the very last episode, but does anyone else remember Silk Stalkings??? Maybe because I lived through that ship is why I think I can take anything today. Lol.

The lead characters were always flirty, you always knew they were meant to be together. In season 4, they both have fairly significant, significant others ... but both of their relationships end at the end of that season.

Start season 5 ... six or so episodes in the couple sleep together. The next episode, they find out they're pregnant, the next episode they get married. The episode after that, they kill off the guy. Yep, they kill him. It's horrible, it's awful, and although I can now see it has a beautiful love story, I still ... roughly 14 years later, am bitter. Evil or Very Mad
bailey
bailey
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 811
Say What You Want : "You just had a rebound. Yeah, which don't get me wrong can be a really fun distraction. But, when it's over, you're left thinking about the girl you really like, the one that broke your heart."

~ Jim Halpert
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Becoming a couple: shows with it during or at the very end. Empty Becoming a couple: shows with it during or at the very end.

Post by elyon Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:39 am

Well one small measure of comfort, I can't see them doing this on Bones.

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:47 am

elyon I agree

Snoop - Gilmore Girls ( although it is a little different the 2 leads did have a brief amount of time together before breaking up and ultimately getting together in the last 10 minutes of the last episode)
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by katharine Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:32 am

I think showrunners are just so afraid of letting their leads get together because they think their audience will get so bored and tune out.

Well, shame on you showrunners, you are insulting my intelligence and you are also saying you don't have a creative team that can write for an actual couple. It amazes me when the fans can write for couples and the showrunners teams can't. I'm sure there is some long drawn out explanantion of people that they have to answer to and be responsible for. I think it's just fear and lack of creativity.
I think you get to a point in a certain number of seasons in a show where you have to "fish or cut bait", try it or move on.
I think we all know that our favorite show Bones is about there.

I guess show writers just think we all love angst more than romance. The biggest problem with that is if the creative writing were there, you can still have a couple and angst......

Just my thoughts.

katharine
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by HermioneGirl101 Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:35 am

I was going to say Gilmore Girls too, but Luke and Lorelai had roughly 2 seasons as a couple (although I honestly don't count the 6th season as them being together since barely spent time together... I actually hesitate at calling that an actual season at all) before getting together in the end. But that show had plenty of togetherness as well without getting boring.

Well... we could say Friends, too, with Ross and Rachel getting back together at the very end. But they had a *lot* of together before that.
HermioneGirl101
HermioneGirl101
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 444
Say What You Want : I'll watch Bones through thick and thin. No storyline will change that!
Registration date : 2010-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by bailey Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:42 am

HermioneGirl101 wrote:I was going to say Gilmore Girls too, but Luke and Lorelai had roughly 2 seasons as a couple (although I honestly don't count the 6th season as them being together since barely spent time together... I actually hesitate at calling that an actual season at all) before getting together in the end. But that show had plenty of togetherness as well without getting boring.

Well... we could say Friends, too, with Ross and Rachel getting back together at the very end. But they had a *lot* of together before that.

Now, that I would hate worse ... if you're going to get them together, don't back out of it. At least not totally out of it as far as they went on Friends.

The Nanny, they let Fran and Max get together a bit earlier, but they only put CC and Niles together at the very end. And I liked that couple better. Smile
bailey
bailey
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 811
Say What You Want : "You just had a rebound. Yeah, which don't get me wrong can be a really fun distraction. But, when it's over, you're left thinking about the girl you really like, the one that broke your heart."

~ Jim Halpert
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:55 am

HermioneGirl101 wrote:I was going to say Gilmore Girls too, but Luke and Lorelai had roughly 2 seasons as a couple (although I honestly don't count the 6th season as them being together since barely spent time together... I actually hesitate at calling that an actual season at all) before getting together in the end. But that show had plenty of togetherness as well without getting boring.

Lorelai marrying Christopher, ruined those 2 season of L/L greatness for me...seriously there is only one moment ever in the history of all my television watching that I still yell at the TV and feel bitter about, and that's it, even knowing now how it ended.
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by andreana22 Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:00 am

What about shows where the couple gets together and the sky (ratings) didn't fall? The only example I can think of is The Mentalist. Rigsby and Van Pelt got together but then split up. It can't be that uncommon. Soap Operas do it all the time.

andreana22
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2010-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by elyon Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:43 am

The Closer

elyon
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by Lo Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:11 pm

Interesting thread, I've really only followed Alias and they got their characters together in the second season, but I lost interest in it and they broke up then got together at the end supposedly.

I was watching House's season premiere tonight and the whole House and Cuddy interactions were boring and melodramatic (surprised those can even be both used to describe the same thing, but I found myself, my mom and my brother disliking it). People may say Shore has guts, but from what I've seen i'm not impressed...at all.
Lo
Lo
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 683
Say What You Want : Icon: tempertemper77 @ lj
Registration date : 2008-06-15

http://twitter.com/clairedietz

Back to top Go down

Post by gordongordonfan Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:44 pm

That older show... "Hart to Hart" they were a married couple the whole time who still had lots of romance and humor together. But maybe it's different because they started the show together??? (Didn't happen later). I was pretty young when it was out but I remember it was a pretty cool show for it's time.
gordongordonfan
gordongordonfan
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by bones206 Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:48 pm

andreana22 wrote:What about shows where the couple gets together and the sky (ratings) didn't fall?

Well, Peter and Olivia got together on Fringe, but that was the last episode of the season, so I can't really say the ratings didn't drop (or rise for that matter).

Um, House and Cuddy together in tonight's episode....
Angela and Hodgins got together and I think the ratings actually rose.... Smile

Last edited by bones206 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2057
Say What You Want : I want to go ride my horse. I love my horse. I want to watch the new episodes of Bones. I want to talk to my friends about Bones. But, most of friends don't watch Bones. Sad
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:59 pm

andreana22 wrote:What about shows where the couple gets together and the sky (ratings) didn't fall? The only example I can think of is The Mentalist. Rigsby and Van Pelt got together but then split up. It can't be that uncommon. Soap Operas do it all the time.

Soap operas...are an entity unto themselves whose rules of character development and chronology are that there aren't any. Let's not even mention them since my biggest fear is that Bones is slowly becoming one. affraid

Seriously, soaps are a series of mini stories connected by character shells, but while the the stories happen chronologically, the "content" of the characters can change back and forth. So, for instance, two characters meet, and can't stand each other, but then slowly fall deeply in love, get married. Then, on a business trip, the guy who has always been a faithful and true character, decides to have an affair, and then becomes an alcoholic who beats his wife. Then, the wife's summer camp boyfriend from when she was 13 comes to town and is horrified that she is allowing this to happen to her, befriends her. The love story is now about a long lost teenage love trying to save his beloved from her horrible husband. In a horrible midnight fight, the husband almost kills his wife, but is rescued by her former teen-angel. The husband goes to jail while the former teen-aged love sits tearfully by his love's bedside, praying she'll wake up so that they can start their new life, she wakes up, looks at him and says, "Who are you?" affraid and on it goes.

A soap opera is strictly plot-driven, and characters, even character history, can be changed at will to serve the plot.

See why what's going on at Bones is making me nervous .
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Say What You Want : I like to see the roller-coaster before I get on it. I mean, how many loops are we talking here?

Back to top Go down

Post by gordongordonfan Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:06 pm

LOL.... I just posted a response to your "Roger" storyline in another thread... I completely share the fear of Bones becoming TOO soapy though... I love the romance, don't get me wrong. But I don't want it to get so we all need to say "Do you want crackers with that cheese?" It's a fine line... I'm just sayin!
gordongordonfan
gordongordonfan
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:07 pm

gordongordonfan wrote:That older show... "Hart to Hart" they were a married couple the whole time who still had lots of romance and humor together. But maybe it's different because they started the show together??? (Didn't happen later). I was pretty young when it was out but I remember it was a pretty cool show for it's time.

I REMEMBER HART TO HART! They had a little dog and a butler or something who called them "Mr. and Mrs. H" I used to tell my mom I wanted a "Hart to Hart" marriage when I grew up. Must of have thrilled her, her little girl wanted a marriage like the one on tv - as opposed to the one her parents had! [Only admins are allowed to see this link] I must of been like 8 or so. Very Happy
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by gordongordonfan Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Yeah, you were like "Mommy, how come you and daddy don't carry covert weapons and dress in black tie formal when you take me to school? LOL (And can you ninja assault little Peggy Parker's brother for me? He keeps stealing my lunch money!) [Only admins are allowed to see this image]
gordongordonfan
gordongordonfan
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:18 pm

gordongordonfan wrote:Yeah, you were like "Mommy, how come you and daddy don't carry covert weapons and dress in black tie formal when you take me to school? LOL (And can you ninja assault little Peggy Parker's brother for me? He keeps stealing my lunch money!) [Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Nah, I just like the way they always called each other darling and sweetheart - even in the middle of fighting the bad guys! Very Happy. And the cars. LOVED the cars! [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by gordongordonfan Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:59 pm

They were super romantic weren't they? See, I think B/B together could have an awesome vibe too if it was written well! :-) Could bring a whole new "fresh" take to things... [Only admins are allowed to see this image]
gordongordonfan
gordongordonfan
Agent
Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:20 pm

gordongordonfan wrote:They were super romantic weren't they? See, I think B/B together could have an awesome vibe too if it was written well! :-) Could bring a whole new "fresh" take to things... [Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Heck, yeah! That season five premier moment when she's bleeding in his arms and he calls her "baby" is one of my favorite B&B moments. [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by ddc Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Anyone remember Scarecrow & Mrs. King? Lee and Amanda were together for at least a season before they finally got married 1/2 way through what became the last season. Of course there the gag was they needed to keep their relationship/marriage secret from their boss & coworkers (regs) and Amanda's family (reason given was for their safety they couldn't know about the marriage).

ddc

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by royaldinerlurker Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:30 pm

That is so funny! I think Scarecrow and Mrs King was my first 'ship'. I loved that show. I mention it to people and they have no idea what I am talking about it. No one remembers it - not even my sister and my best pal that I used to watch it with. Bruce Boxleitner - he was dreamy when I was 7...! I seem to recall a great episode when they got kidnapped together. I would love to see a B&B kidnap episode. Thanks for taking me back....! Laughing

royaldinerlurker

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next