Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you interested in a Bones Canon?

+8
MoonlightGardenias
bones206
keerz14
spygrl
ToZiKa
dawnsfire
THX1138
DBCrazy
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are you interested in a Bones Canon?

Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Vote_lcap47%Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Vote_rcap 47% 
[ 8 ]
Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Vote_lcap12%Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]
Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Vote_lcap6%Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Vote_lcap0%Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Vote_lcap6%Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Vote_lcap29%Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 17

Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Empty Are you interested in a Bones Canon?

Post by DBCrazy Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:58 pm

I put this in the FanFiction Forum because I invision it mostly as a tool for the Bones fanfic writers. What do you think? This would be a labor of love for those compiling the information. Gruesome work ... watching Bones and reporting on it! Razz

Comment on what you think its merits would be, what you'd like to see in it, and where you think the problems would be, and any other ideas that come to mind.
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Empty Re: Are you interested in a Bones Canon?

Post by THX1138 Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:43 pm

You know I'm up for it. Heck I'll start compiling information for Booth, Brennan, and the gang now - that's how up for it I am. Well, that and the fact that I can avoid work. Wink

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Empty Re: Are you interested in a Bones Canon?

Post by dawnsfire Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:06 pm

It's a terrible job, but someone's got to do it... Very Happy

I'd like to see some of the things I haven't been able to pin down myself--like, when Brennan's lab coats started to be fitted rather than loose as they were in the beginning, the hand at her back, etc. I've also got a pretty good timeline running on my own to pad out and/or correct the one already here that I would be glad to contribute. And I think we should stick with the characters, not the actors, should that come up.

The librarian and researcher in me wants some backup, as in which episode said provided said fact or the rationale leading up to a conclusion. We also have to consider discrepancies, of which there are plenty. (My, don't I sound all squintish?)

First times, last times, character lists?

Always up for research, so tell me what we're looking for, and I'll be off and running!

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:21 pm

Ah my Queen you're squintish need for accuracy and organization warms the cockles of my heart. Smile I'm with you the question is where to start? I tend to vary between being completely random (when left on my own) to a laser like focus when looking for something specific. Sooo, in one of the few times you'll ever hear me say this, I would be more than happy to accept direction from you on this (just don't get too used to bossing me around) and if you throw it out there I'll dig into it and give you as much data as I can find.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:41 pm

I've worked on a few (unpublished) concordances of my own (Pern, Valdemar, Deryni...). Like you say, very easy to be random.
With that timeline of mine, every time someone says "I did [blank] x number of years ago," I make a little note. It's all backstory for the most part. I could post that for comments now or wait for our ringleader Sherry to hand out directions?

Though if you're accepting orders right now, Majesty, you could look into the two things I mentioned earlier--the labcoat and the hand at her back? All I can tell you is that somewhere during S1, her labcoat changed. We shan't speculate as to why just yet... And somehow I never see the hand! I know that's near-blasphemy, and I can see it in my head, but I can't pull any specifics to mind.
Any notions you want to bounce off me? I wouldn't mind a concrete direction, myself (though subject to the same qualifications--don't get too used to it!).

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me.
I'd love to help, but I'm not sure how much I could actually do.....once uni starts again I am gonna be really busy again.

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 37397
Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by spygrl Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:09 am

I'll help!

Can we set up a wiki for it somewhere so that we can all contribute? I am not a fanfic writer at the moment, but maybe once my real life calms down a bit a resource like that would be invaluable,
spygrl
spygrl
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:39 am

A wiki isn't a bad idea really, though I was thinking something like a simlpe relational database with an intuitive interface that would be queriable and have standardized input forms and output screens so we can tailor the displayed information.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:09 am

THX1138 wrote:A wiki isn't a bad idea really, though I was thinking something like a simlpe relational database with an intuitive interface that would be queriable and have standardized input forms and output screens so we can tailor the displayed information.

king RM

I didn't get one word of that..... scratch

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Say What You Want : It's been great and I'll never forget this place! Thanks Lindsey!

Back to top Go down

Post by keerz14 Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:10 am

I'll help...but I don't know what it means/is !!
keerz14
keerz14
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 110
Say What You Want : Well I'm 17 in almost a week. In 5th year. Living down south and practically live for my friends&family Smile) Cant wait for the 23rd cos of the Bones premiere and my 17th birthday will make up for the dissapointment of the premiere haha. Definetly gonna get jointed that saturday!! Cant wait....anyway thats it haha.
Registration date : 2009-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:18 am

ToZiKa wrote:
THX1138 wrote:A wiki isn't a bad idea really, though I was thinking something like a simlpe relational database with an intuitive interface that would be queriable and have standardized input forms and output screens so we can tailor the displayed information.

king RM

lol, sorry. I'm saying that an easy to use relational DB - one where the information is sorted and stored in a series of tables where key fields are linked and you can query for data inclusively, exclusively, or using a variety of filters or union statements - would give us more flexibility and with standardized input forms there'd be no issue with folks dumping crap in a flatfile, and we could customize the output screens...I'm just gonna guess that didn't help at all.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ToZiKa Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:25 am

THX1138 wrote:
ToZiKa wrote:

king RM

lol, sorry. I'm saying that an easy to use relational DB - one where the information is sorted and stored in a series of tables where key fields are linked and you can query for data inclusively, exclusively, or using a variety of filters or union statements - would give us more flexibility and with standardized input forms there'd be no issue with folks dumping crap in a flatfile, and we could customize the output screens...I'm just gonna guess that didn't help at all.

king RM

you want to use something that allows to use a search similar to the ff.net one, right?
and we got a form where we have to fill in whatever information we have or think we have?

I guess we would need someone to make sure that only real facts are posted too
and I don't think it should be open for everyone to post in it either.....maybe just ABY-members or something.....

ToZiKa
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Back to top Go down

Post by bones206 Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:37 am

I'm sorry, but, what exactly is a Canon?
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2057
Say What You Want : I want to go ride my horse. I love my horse. I want to watch the new episodes of Bones. I want to talk to my friends about Bones. But, most of friends don't watch Bones. Sad
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by spygrl Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:45 am

bones206 wrote:I'm sorry, but, what exactly is a Canon?

A sort of series bible. Cataloging all the characters and their pertinent details. DOB, history timelines, habits, etc etc.
spygrl
spygrl
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by bones206 Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:54 am

Thank you! I'd love one of those! And, I'd also love to help!
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Say What You Want : I want to go ride my horse. I love my horse. I want to watch the new episodes of Bones. I want to talk to my friends about Bones. But, most of friends don't watch Bones. Sad

Back to top Go down

Are you interested in a Bones Canon? Empty What exactly is canon?

Post by DBCrazy Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:59 am

I went looking for a few references for you. I did edit a tiny bit, but you can get the exact material from the links provided. What we're referring to is a compilation of the information so you can look things up instead of having to go watch all the episodes to find out something.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Canon
Canon [...] refers to the "official" source material upon which fan fiction can be based. In recent years, some fandoms have engaged in lengthy debate over what is or is not "canon", usually due to multiple writers in various media creating contradictory source material, such as in metaseries like Doctor Who or Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

It is important to note that something that is regarded as "canon" is regarded as being essentially a verifiable fact in the given fandom. Details as complex as the laws of physics in a given story universe or as minute as how a character's name is meant to be spelled can be referred to as "canon" details, so long as they are specifically shown or otherwise directly revealed in the source material; this includes character behavior as well, though debate over what can or cannot be considered "canon behavior" is often a point of contention in fandom. On occasion, authors (such as Joss Whedon[1] or JK Rowling[2]) also expand on what is shown in the original story in other media, especially personal websites or blogs. Comments on the nature of a story or character directly from the creator are often considered statements of "canon".

In short, "canon" in the context of fan fiction is both the accepted "official" material itself, and a concept or detail promoted by the original work and/or in accepted "official" material.

Canon - All of the events which *expressly* happen in the fandom. Meaning, everything, person, event, statement, that happens in the show, movie, or book is canon. [...] This is sort of used like a law for fan fiction. Alternate universes are where an author deliberately ignores, goes against, or stop paying attention to canon in order to create their own canon.

Canon
In slang, a word used by those who write fanfiction. It refers to the original body of work that the fanfiction came from.

DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:01 am

spygrl wrote:

A sort of series bible. Cataloging all the characters and their pertinent details. DOB, history timelines, habits, etc etc.
lol! Robert speaks geek and I speak google. Very well put, spygrl!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by spygrl Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:35 am

DBCrazy wrote:
spygrl wrote:

lol! Robert speaks geek and I speak google. Very well put, spygrl!

Thanks

LOL I've been in "fanfictdom" since the late 80's Wink I've had to explain canon and ooc since Scarecrow and Mrs. King
spygrl
spygrl
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonlightGardenias Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:04 am

Can I just say it makes me laugh and feel happy a little bit to see the words "fandom" and "fanfiction" in an actual definition? See...it IS a real thing. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Anyway, I think this is a great idea.
MoonlightGardenias
MoonlightGardenias
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1092
Say What You Want : Everything happens eventually...
Registration date : 2009-01-25

http://www.fanfiction.net/~moonlightgardenias

Back to top Go down

Post by bones206 Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:08 am

Cool! So, how exactly is this going to work? Are "we" going to make a website and pile it all there?
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:09 pm

It may almost require its own website, if we get too enthusiastic!

I suppose we could have links to a handful of fanfics, and there is actualy a published novel about Bones called Buried Deep. Not a bad mystery, but the author got some things wrong about characters and the location, so I don't know if it should count. I think we should keep to what is in the show, the Companion (and the forthcoming S3 follow-up), and possibly interviews with HH & his cohorts. No spoilers, either. And we do enough speculation here to not need it there.

And whoever brought up contributors--you have a good point. I don't know about a wiki; I rather like a searchable database or whatever Rob called it (I don't speak geek, either). Depending on how many creators and if we take comments from non-contributors, there's going to have to be a way to settle any disagreements. Which is why I was thinking about at least stating where the fact came from. I guess it all depends on how definitive and detailed we want to make this.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonesbabe Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:29 pm

i wouldn't mind helping Smile
ive only just started watching bone and am still in season 1. i might be able to pick up some info along my way if it will be helpful...... just lemme know Smile

Bonesbabe
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by sammi31 Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:37 pm

I'm game

sammi31
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 171
Say What You Want : BONES RULES
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by bones206 Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:07 am

I was thinking that Willgirl and/or DBCrazy could assign episodes to members that wanted to help.
For example: Dawnsfire could get the part of Booth in Hero in the Hold

and

Tozika could get Hodgins in The Woman in Limbo.

Then Dawns and Toz would "write" down everything that the audience learned about their characters in that episode.

Something like that maybe???
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:41 pm

Maybe. But if anyone wanted to track a theme or a running joke, or even how often Brennan says any variation on "I don't know what that means," that wouldn't work unless we knew to look for it. You're implying just new info (all right, maybe I am too literal with the term learned).

And please, assign me any thing from S1-3; probably won't have S4 until Christmas at the earliest!

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum