Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Love is not Enough (Inspired by Ella)

+6
dawnsfire
howie
MoonlightGardenias
mereva
RGPageantqueen
THX1138
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Love is not Enough (Inspired by Ella) - Page 2 Empty Re: Love is not Enough (Inspired by Ella)

Post by DBCrazy Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:57 pm

Ah man, what a way to wake up in the morning. Talk about not letting there be any clue to how it's going to turn out. I couldn't believe what Booth was saying while he was saying it! Well done on Brennan for sticking her neck out and not hiding in one of her compartments. Booth tried, damn hard he tried, but he is an honest man, and when he finally came face to face with the truth ... seems the universe needed to realign itself.

Loved it! Very glad it's turning into more story.
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Love is not Enough (Inspired by Ella) - Page 2 Empty Re: Love is not Enough (Inspired by Ella)

Post by THX1138 Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:21 pm

DBCrazy wrote:Ah man, what a way to wake up in the morning. Talk about not letting there be any clue to how it's going to turn out. I couldn't believe what Booth was saying while he was saying it! Well done on Brennan for sticking her neck out and not hiding in one of her compartments. Booth tried, damn hard he tried, but he is an honest man, and when he finally came face to face with the truth ... seems the universe needed to realign itself.
Brennan isn't used to being wrong and she knows she's not only in the wrong this time, but she realizes that what she did to Booth was tantamount to betrayal. It was a replay of the "Do you think I'm a loser?" moment only worse, because she knew him so much better by then. Still, when he figures out what's going on and realizes that the FBI is going to give her the shaft, he can't stand idly by. THis doesn't mean they're back together and Angela isn't forgiven by a long shot, but Booth can finally get past what was done to him and focus on her. His main concern now is NOT falling back into a relationship with her - he still doesn't trust her with his heart.

Loved it! Very glad it's turning into more story.
Well you know how I am, my one shots and shorts always seem to get away from me, plus once I started down this path I just can see so many possibilities.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by howie Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:12 am

I so love waking up to a good story to read while drinking my morning coffee. Bring on the angst monkey's!
howie
howie
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 7672
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonlightGardenias Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:03 am

Wow, I have to admit I didn't see that ending coming. I can only imagine what Booth must be going through, struggling to keep his emotional distance from Brennan while still trying to work with her. Looking forward to Abbey and Parker, but also what that angst monkey has in store.
MoonlightGardenias
MoonlightGardenias
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1092
Say What You Want : Everything happens eventually...
Registration date : 2009-01-25

http://www.fanfiction.net/~moonlightgardenias

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:04 am

“The real reason I’m here isn’t to train my replacement, it’s to train yours.”
Ooof. That's a shocker.

Can the FBI really determine who the Jeffersonian keeps? They're still independent entities, right? Or is that they will only work with Wendell, say, and refuse to work with Brennan? Cam might have a few things to say about that, I suppose, even though she's not supreme head of the Jeffersonian Labs.

Make it as long as you like, Rob; I don't care! Very Happy

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:27 pm

dawnsfire wrote:
“The real reason I’m here isn’t to train my replacement, it’s to train yours.”
Ooof. That's a shocker.

Can the FBI really determine who the Jeffersonian keeps? They're still independent entities, right? Or is that they will only work with Wendell, say, and refuse to work with Brennan? Cam might have a few things to say about that, I suppose, even though she's not supreme head of the Jeffersonian Labs.

Make it as long as you like, Rob; I don't care! Very Happy

queen
Not keeps, no, works with - to an extent. Yes they're still independent entities, let's just say money talks and the Cantiliever group...well you'll all find out.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:55 pm

that last line was like a total BURN! Ouch!
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 5921
Say What You Want : There's a wild wild wind calling out my name, like a long lost friend, and there's nothing sweeter than American honey<3
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:43 pm

Late? Yes. I've been ill and I am sorry it's late, then again it's free so no bitchin'.

A/N: Booth's revelation sparks an uproar in the Lab, and an upheaval in his relationship with Brennan.

Booth’s revelation brought with it a storm of protests. A meeting was hastily called, Cam commandeered a conference room, evicting the budget committee that was meeting there but cornering the man chairing the meeting, one Dr Edward Bankroft, the Jeffersonian’s director. Backed up by Angela and Hodgins, and flanked by the interns with Wendell in the lead, the normally slick Bankroft found himself cornered like the rat he was. Not that escape would have been possible in any event because Camille Saroyan, Brooklyn bred and street savvy, was one pissed off pathologist and she wasn’t stopping until she got her pound of flesh.

Brennan sat stoically as the chaos and confusion of the meeting broke around her and in the center of it all stood her erstwhile partner, Seeley Booth. Her eyes followed him as he circled the room, his presence commanding authority, his movements fluid, almost predatory. Cam had called the meeting, and Bankroft as director of the Jeffersonian should nominally have been in charge, but there was no denying who was actually running the show. All eyes were on Booth as he briefed everyone on what was going on, why he was really at the Jeffersonian, and what he thought the FBI’s true motivations were. She had to admit that despite the open animosity expressed by her friends and colleagues, he acquitted himself well. Of course Booth was always the people person, but it was at times like this that his skills were best displayed.

It was at times like this that she remembered why she’d fallen in love with him. His fearlessness, his passion, his devotion to such things as the truth, his principles, the greater good, and her. At the same time he scared her. Booth had an almost compulsive need to protect her, a task he approached with a messianic fervor at times. She never felt comfortable with that aspect of their relationship, in truth she never felt worthy of his devotion and she lived in fear knowing she would ruin him one day. She was afraid that this was the day.

A sudden outburst brought Brennan back to herself. Casting about she realized that Booth was no longer the center of attention, but having done his part was now hovering at the edge. Instead it was Hodgins who now commanded everyone’s attention.

“This is bullshit!” Hodgins bolted out of his seat, slamming his fists down on the table as he glared at Bankroft. “Where in the fuck does Traynor get off?! He doesn’t own us, he doesn’t own the Jeffersonian.”

“No, but they do account for nearly half of the Medico-Legal lab’s current budget.” Bankroft swiveled to look at Brennan. “In fact Dr Brennan, the money that was used to purchase the new equipment came directly from the FBI. They even pay part of your grad students' salaries. So if they want to make a change when it comes to who works on their cases…”

“Dr Bankroft, if it’s a question of funding surely the Cantilever Group could make up the difference.” Angela looked directly at Hodgins. “Jack? You can just underwrite the difference can’t you?”

All eyes turned on Hodgins who was suddenly awash in flop sweat. The fidgeting entomologist was put down quickly by Bankroft who saw a chance to divert attention from himself for once.

“Unfortunately Ms Montenegro that’s not possible. The Cantilever Group has undergone some financial reversals lately, and in addressing those reversals cuts had to be made. If not for the FBI we would have had to let go of staff in the lab, instead of expanding it.”

“It’s true. We had several costly setbacks over the last three years, and the nationalization of the Volgograd pipeline was the kicker. Seven years effort and over $30 billion gone, the board finally stepped in and took over.” Hodgins looked at the shocked faces at the table around him. “It’s not just the Jeffersonian either. All charitable giving has been curtailed until further notice and I…my personal assets, my trust…the money I have immediate access to isn’t enough to make up the difference.”

“Hey, what the hell are you all doing looking at Jack like that?” Booth bellowed, making everyone jump. “He’s not responsible for this mess. Look, all that crap can wait. Right now you need to focus on how we fix this. Bankroft, you are the director of the Jeffersonian, what do you plan to do now?”

On queue Hodgins turned and glared at Bankroft again, his fist finding the table a second time. “Booth’s right. Aren’t you supposed to be in charge around here Ed? Well it’s time you started to act like it. You should be telling the FBI they can’t pick and choose who they work with, this is our lab still, not theirs.”

A chorus of voices rose in agreement with Hodgins sentiment even as Cam tried to get everyone to calm down and Bankroft started shouting back at them all. Hodgins chanced a grateful glance at Booth, and Brennan followed his gaze only to see the big man had quietly positioned himself far from the rest of them all. While the proceedings became increasingly heated and pleas for silence were either ignored or drowned out in the babbling cross talk from Brennan’s loyal supporters, Brennan noticed that Booth stood at the periphery. She wondered at his skill again, he was the catalyst who’d started the firestorm before her, and yet he was at once unscathed by the conflagration.

Instead she spied him slipping away from the maelstrom, exiting via a short hallway at the back of the room. Brennan found it ridiculously easy to follow him, her friends and co-workers were so invested in arguing with Cam and shouting down Bankroft, that her absence barely registered. The hallway led to an alcove just beyond the conference room where coffee and pastries were arrayed in an enticing display on a nearby countertop. Brennan found Booth standing there with half a cheese Danish hanging from his mouth, and in the process of doctoring the contents of a large insulated cup.

“Some things never change.” She snorted. “If there’s food nearby, you’ll find it.”

Booth tore the Danish out of his mouth, choking down the sizeable portion already in there, before responding. “Ranger training Bones. First order of survival, you gotta eat, that means you gotta have food.”

“Odd, I thought the first order of survival was shelter. I believe food comes fourth after water and fire.” Her serious voice belied the joking nature of her comment,

“Yeah, well, maybe that’s the rule for most folks sure, but not for me.” The edges of his mouth quirked upwards in the beginnings of the famous charm smile and Brennan felt her heart seize. “You know me Bones, gotta feed the machine, that’s always a priority.”

Brennan couldn’t help but find his antics entertaining, but the smile she offered him failed to reach her eyes. Booth, ever aware of her every mood, let his own grin fade and a part of her felt some satisfaction at that. Setting the Danish down, he leaned back against the counter taking a slow sip from his cup. It seemed like an interminable length of time had passed before the silence between them was broken.

“What’s on your mind Bones…or do you want me go back to calling you Brennan?”

“Why should I want you to call me Brennan?”

“I don’t know. I guess I’m thinking it might be a little much for you to deal with, the whole situation I mean. Look, the FBI is ordering a review of your job performance to ascertain your suitability as a contractor and if they decide to replace you I’m going to be given the job of training your replacement to work with the new FBI Liaison. It could be Wendell or Clark that gets your job Bones, and it could be me that’s the guy giving it to them. After all the shit that’s gone down between us in the last six months…” Booth took another sip of coffee, watching her impassive reaction to his words. “Look, I know it hasn’t been easy for you, with me around, today I mean, so I guess I’m saying I wouldn’t blame you if you wanted me start calling you Dr Brennan again.”

“You’re right Booth, it hasn’t been easy for me today but that’s not entirely your fault is it? In fact you’ve done your best to make me feel at ease with everything, and for that alone I owe you some gratitude.” She paused and let her eyes wander over his face carefully. “You’re right about one thing, Booth, today has been trying but not for the reasons you listed, in fact there are several issues you’ve over looked.”

The edges of his mouth curled upward again as he realized she was serious. “Such as?”

Brennan clasped her hands together in a wringing motion, twisting them about nervously. “I think that…maybe I realize that a lot of this I brought on myself. My behavior ever since I chased you and Abbey away has been somewhat…erratic…and my ability to compartmentalize isn’t as effective as it once was, and there are several issues I’m dealing with now that are of my own making.” Brenna’s eyes dropped to the ground in front of him. “And perhaps I can admit now that I know what happened between us six months ago was mostly my fault. It was my failure to trust you, my failure to remember the one truth about our relationship.”

“And what’s that Bones?”

“That you would never betray me.”

Words unspoken hang in the air between them, the silence is uncomfortable and nearly as deafening as the roar from the conference room. Booth set his coffee down carefully, then reaching out he captured her chin with his calloused fingers. Tilting her head back toward him their eyes locked.

“Do you remember that night? That night we talked? It was when we first started working together Bones, all those years ago, that night when I said I would never betray you…” His fingers gently stroked her jaw before falling away from her face, the imperceptible nod and watering eyes were his only answer. Booth brushed away an errant tear. “It’s about time you remembered that.”

Brennan stepped into him then, catching Booth off guard she threw her arms around his neck, buried her face in his shoulder and let loose a strangled sob. Booth stiffened at first, then awkwardly looped his arms around her, until he finally relented and took her into a warm embrace. Holding her close he couldn’t help but warm to the feel of her, her familiar scent invading his mind. When the sobbing finally stopped Booth just did manage to break their hug without acting on any urges he might have had. Instead he tilted her face upward to survey the damage, and without a word passing between them he led her to the small sink nearby. Wetting several paper towels he pressed them gently against her cheeks, her forehead, dabbing at her eyes. Brennan’s hands closed over his at one point, and held them tightly as she looked longingly into his eyes, but his guarded expression baffled her.

“Booth?” Seeing him withdraw, feeling his hands tug away from hers she reached after him. “Seeley, wait, what’s wrong?”

“Look, Bones I… I just can’t.”

“You can’t?” Booth pressed the damp towels into her hand, curling his fingers over her own in the process.

“It nearly killed me last time Temperance. Losing you after having just found you again? Having you doubt me like that, knowing you’d thought I could ever betray you? Before today I never thought I’d be able to let that go, but I can honestly say I’m past it now, most of it anyway. If you’re still willing, then I am ready for us to be partners again and, I think, I think maybe we can be friends too. I mean I’d like that, if you want. I’m just not ready for anything else.”

“It’s alright Booth, I understand. When this day started I was hoping we could have a partnership again, like we used to have. My greatest expectations were that you might be amenable the possibility of renewing our friendship as well at some point.” Brennan’s eyes darkened, unshed tears welled up again but held their place, her voice softened as she spoke. “I know I have no right to expect more from you Booth. I know that boat has shipped.”

Booth smiled sadly and replied almost automatically “ship has sailed Bones. That ship has sailed.” Pushing off from the counter he unexpectedly pulled her back into his arms for a comforting hug. Then, just as quickly, he released her. Snaring her elbow Booth proceeded to guide a thoroughly confused Brennan out of the alcove and back to the conference room. “C’mon Bones, I think they’re ready for us.”

A/N: Yes, I know I promissed Abbey and Parker, but Rebecca was late picking them up for school so they didn't make it into this chapter, next one for sure though. Lots of Abbey and Parker goodness there I guarantee.

Addendum: I am out of town for the next few days so it'll be Monday before I update again. Sorry about that.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:14 pm

Booth and Brennan can sate my appetite; I can wait for Abbey and Parker. I liked watching Booth play the room and the situation, and nice moment of honesty between him and Brennan.
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:24 pm

Everybody forgets Bancroft... (I wonder if he's any relation to the vic in Man/Mansion?)

Anyway, the FBI is helping to fund the Medico-Legal Lab? That's an interesting turn of events. And I can see why they feel they have a say. Though wouldn't Cam, as department head, know something of where the money comes from? I never indulged, no, scratch that, I actively dodge that level of office politics, so I really wouldn't know.

Just a random note--is Brennan's rep outside DC still as good? What could happen if she leaves? Besides elating the FBI, that is. She's still an "avoiding" personality, and that would be an easy way out. Not that it's the only solution. And there are the kids to think about.

I don't know if you're going to get BB tegether again at the end of this, but I will settle for friendship.

queen

have fun with the kinfolk, Majesty!
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:59 pm

DBCrazy wrote:Booth and Brennan can sate my appetite; I can wait for Abbey and Parker. I liked watching Booth play the room and the situation, and nice moment of honesty between him and Brennan.
I think they were due a moment of truth between them. Booth's greatest virtues are also his greatest flaws to some extent. He's fiercely loyal, honest, and dedicated both to his personal principles and to the people he loves. Even as hurt as he was by what Brennan did he still couldn't stand to see her hurt worse, but that doesn't make it alright between them. He's afraid now. It'll take something more than a threat to her career to make him move past his fear and give being with her another shot.

dawnsfire wrote:Everybody forgets Bancroft... (I wonder if he's any relation to the vic in Man/Mansion?)
Not a clue but you know, now that you mention it, that has immense plot potential...

Anyway, the FBI is helping to fund the Medico-Legal Lab? That's an interesting turn of events. And I can see why they feel they have a say. Though wouldn't Cam, as department head, know something of where the money comes from? I never indulged, no, scratch that, I actively dodge that level of office politics, so I really wouldn't know.
You know Cam would be aware of her lab's funding sources, yes she would. The question is what was her role in all of this, and did she know what the FBI was planning on doing?

Just a random note--is Brennan's rep outside DC still as good? What could happen if she leaves? Besides elating the FBI, that is. She's still an "avoiding" personality, and that would be an easy way out. Not that it's the only solution. And there are the kids to think about.
Actually her rep is still quite good outside of DC, though word is beginning to trickle out there that the good Doctor has had it with the law enforcement community - she's always been notoriously difficult to work with, even on overseas digs Brennan had to have things done to her standards and those tend to be higher than other academics in most cases. The rumors of her issues with the FBI simply serve to reinforce her image as an exacting task mistress in her field - not actually a bad thing for someone in her profession actually.

I don't know if you're going to get BB tegether again at the end of this, but I will settle for friendship.
Well for the immediate future that's as good as it gets because Booth, even as he finds himself falling back into his role as her partner and wanting more, can't let himself get too involved because he knows once he lets go of that fear that's holding him back he'll be helpless before her and Brennan is, as you said an "avoiding" personality - if she bolts on him again it would probably kill him and that's what he's truly afraid of.

have fun with the kinfolk, Majesty!
My family, excepting my mother and father, are by and large a cluster fuck of useless gits whom I suffer to be around two to three times a year. Even the ones I like drive me to the brink of insanity. After just two days I was more than ready to leave the lot of them until Thanksgiving, which will come far too quickly for my liking.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:37 am

We're still here ... *whistling*
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by bonesweet Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:13 pm

I'm new in here, and i really love your story. Is quite refreshing that you put Booth in such strong persona against Angela. Love the reaction of Angela toward Booth conversation. Now she really know how deeply he was hurt by her actions. Hope that you can find time to continue the story.

Lilly

bonesweet

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Karaoke_Junkie Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Wow! This story has been great. I'm going to hope that you find it in you to continue it. I'd really like to see how you end up playing it out, and I love the angst. Well everything has been wonderful so far, here's hoping that you become inspired for this tale again and continue it. Thanks!
Karaoke_Junkie
Karaoke_Junkie

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:35 pm

I'm hoping you continue too. i just found it and really really want to read more!! is booth actually marrying rebecca? that seems a tad crazy. i hope that doesn't pan out. this is a wonderful story. it's making me cry!

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2