Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Opinion on Grad School

4 posters

Go down

Need Opinion on Grad School Empty Need Opinion on Grad School

Post by Juniperjayne Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:00 am

Hi everyone! Newbie here, juniperjayne.

I wanted to ask for everyone's opinion - what are your thoughts on online vs. in-person classes, i.e. for grad school?

I'm researching programs and am trying to take into account finances, time, distance, etc etc etc.

Thanks much!

Juniperjayne

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

Need Opinion on Grad School Empty Re: Need Opinion on Grad School

Post by i_heart_bones Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:17 pm

I guess it depends on what kind of learner you are??
Are you the type of person that can independantly work without the need for supervision or input, or did you need deadlines set by other people?
I definitely thrive a lot better from being on campus. I did my first year of uni externally and found that i did absolutely nothing, and just really forgot that i was studying...but it is tricky when you have to work and there is no option of night classes. guess you'd have to weigh up the pros and cons...
And welcome to the ABY Smile
i_heart_bones
i_heart_bones
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 6090
Say What You Want : WWDBD?
Twitter.com/IndiaGreen
Registration date : 2008-11-29

http://shortlybeforemidnight.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jonezn4Bones Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:54 am

Hi, and welcome! I was never able to discipline myself and divide my time between work and school . . Then I tried to divide it between work, school and getting married.

I am assuming you are in the States. As the current situation with credit impacts everything I would base a lot of my decision on that. For example, if you have student loans already, are you having to make payments now, and would going back to grad school delay that for you? Tied to that - how stable and well paying is your job? More than anything you ever accomplish - no matter where your degrees are earned, the thing employers will consider first is how responsible you are with money. That credit score will dictate most of your future options.

If your credit is good then going to school full-time will allow you to ride out a large part of the confusion as the economic dust cloud settles and the deep bottom is finally at least found. That means you could focus on your studies and not divide your time and attention. Very important. If you have poor credit - "hiding" in school allows you an opportunity for a more forgiving and more flexible economy a few years from now. It gives you a buffer against having to start struggling to make all your expenses and not jeopardize your credit future by late or no payments or defaulting on a loan. I have several friends who have slowed down the completion of their degrees in order to ride out the confusion of the markets and be in hopefully more positive place after a few months longer in school.
jonezn4Bones
jonezn4Bones
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 12588
Say What You Want : Everyone should make the effort to be original (not odd)
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by KYBones Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:28 am

I thought I would stick my two cents in also.

If you choose to go with an on-line school remember that you will want to ensure that they are accredited. Double check the school with the Department of Education if you are in the states. There are loads of blogs out there also about the schools to help also.

Money is also a huge issue... the costs involved with grad school may not actually benefit you in your career field. Talk with your supervisor - or other people who are in your desired field. I am attending on-line now... and my time line is actually set for me by my employer... otherwise I may have chosen a different route. I am not the most dedicated student... so I find myself having to play catch up sometimes on late in the week, and then I deeply regret it. Online absoutly requires more effort if you want to get the same learning experience out of it as you would in a classroom.

Good luck! Someone told me many years ago to always seek to improve your education... it is the only thing in life that can not be taken away from you.
KYBones
KYBones
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down