Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hart Hanson Interview at Banff

:: News

Go down

Hart Hanson Interview at Banff Empty Hart Hanson Interview at Banff

Post by willgirl Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:54 pm

Perhaps it’s another “nobody knows anything” sign about the unpredictability of Hollywood. Perhaps not. Either way, many of the writers, directors, and producers attending the Banff World Television Festival shared stories about breaking into the business that emphasized that while they might have gotten into the business a certain way, their way is "not the way to get a job.”

Hart Hanson - Bones

That’s a quote from Bones creator Hart Hanson, who was studying creative writing at the University of British Columbia when he and his girlfriend – now wife – discovered they were expecting a baby. He’d meant to become a novelist after his rock god aspirations didn’t pay off (“I'm a really crappy guitar player”), but had been forced to pick two other fields of study. One happened to be screenwriting.

Suddenly desperate to support a family and aware that writing the Great Canadian Novel wasn’t the quick road to riches (but screenwriting is?), he started faxing pitches to the long-running Vancouver-based The Beachcombers. After the 15th fax, the executive producer relented, inviting him for a meeting.

He doesn’t recommend that approach to aspiring writers, and not just because of the near-obsolescence of fax machines. However, it led to work on that half hour dramedy as well as a wide range of popular Canadian series, including family drama Road to Avonlea and Traders, the series he helped create with fellow Canuck-gone-Hollywood David Shore about the "scintillating and exciting" world of investment banking. “Researching it, I thought I’d developed narcolepsy,” he quipped.

Hollywood beckoned based on his Ally McBeal spec script, since “none of my Canadian scripts mattered a bit.” Hanson found himself on Cupid and forever pigeonholed in the U.S. as a light dramedy writer ("because I didn't write a Homicide spec").
willgirl
willgirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9099
Say What You Want : Go Synthesis!
Registration date : 2008-05-30

http://www.synthesiscommunications.net

Back to top Go down

:: News

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum