Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mark of Zooey

+7
Sarah9488
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
starbuck1974
Meegs82
phoebsfan
HarHar21
ehbee
11 posters

Go down

The Mark of Zooey Empty The Mark of Zooey

Post by ehbee Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:41 am

this is a great article about emily's sister zooey... thought i'd post it here for the zooey fans out there!

The mark of Zooey
What makes Zooey Deschanel the perennial It Girl?
Last Updated: Friday, June 6, 2008 | 3:05 PM ET

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Zooey Deschanel has eyes like marbles – not just any marbles, but turquoise clearie shooters. When she’s gazing at you from a movie screen, those eyes are as big as bowling balls, and hit you with a similar wallop. It’s likely that at some point, you’ve found yourself mesmerized by that stare. It’s also likely that you couldn’t put a name to the face.

She was the flighty older sister in Almost Famous (2000), the wistful shopgirl who fell for man-child Will Ferrell in Elf (2003) and the best thing about the execrable romantic comedy Failure to Launch (2006), in which she played Sarah Jessica Parker’s misanthropic roommate. Over the years, Zooey (pronounced like Zoe) has been dubbed an “It Girl” by everyone from Seventeen to Entertainment Weekly to, most recently, BlackBook.

Celebrated by indie film fans and casting directors looking to fill their cute-and-quirky quota, Deschanel has been on the verge of her big breakthrough every year for the last decade. She seems to be in a perpetual state of almost famous. Some might claim that she has never fulfilled her potential, but I’d argue that she has carved out a sweet little niche for herself.

Her latest role is in The Go-Getter (which opens June 6), a meandering, low-budget affair about 20-somethings who converse in existential non sequiturs over a melancholic indie-rock soundtrack. Lank-haired Lou Pucci (Thumbsucker) plays a troubled dude who steals a car and takes off on an interstate road trip to find his estranged brother. He meets a gaggle of weirdos over the course of his quest, including Kate (Deschanel) — the owner of said vehicle.

Like most of her roles, her part in The Go-Getter is the sort of female character that tends to go over like gangbusters at the Sundance Film Festival, where The Go-Getter screened in 2007. As an archetype, the Sundance Girl is rarely a conventional knockout; she’s pretty in a way that’s just off kilter. She is young and often ambivalent toward adulthood. She is a misfit, or at least misunderstood. She’s hyperverbal by nature, and frequently given to acerbic put-downs. She likes music (usually obscure indie artists or quirky retro acts) and has strange hobbies.

Kate (Deschanel, right) confronts Mercer (Lou Taylor Pucci), the man who stole her car, in the film The Go-Getter. (Peace Arch Films)

A number of actresses regularly inhabit such roles — Winona Ryder and Claire Danes come to mind. But few have done it as consistently — and as consistently well — as Deschanel. She can be jaded and brittle, like the gum-snapping chain-store cashier in The Good Girl, or wound up and vulnerable, as in her revelatory turn in David Gordon Green’s bruised romance All the Real Girls. Although they’re usually bemused observers of life, Deschanel’s characters are grounded; even at their weirdest, they come across as the only person in the room with half a clue.

Deschanel comes from a Hollywood clan: her dad is a cinematographer, her mom’s an actor and older sister Emily plays the lead on FOX series Bones. Zooey followed her father on location shoots that took them everywhere from the Seychelles to Yugoslavia. Zooey’s peripatetic childhood, combined with a stint in a Los Angeles performing arts high school as a teen, resulted in a curious combo: she has a keen sense of the business, but can’t quite play along.

Deschanel has managed to stay low-key, keeping her personal life out of the tabloids; she’s rarely spotted on the party circuit. Unlike many of her peers, Deschanel’s weirdness doesn’t seem like a put-on or a self-protective veneer. Her acting approach seems almost anti-Method, insofar as her roles are often extensions of the character she plays in real life. This may be a question of typecasting. Deschanel has talked in the past about studios seeking out “Zooey Deschanel types,” which I would describe as “mordant, pseudo-goth second bananas.” Her second bananas often steal shared scenes from the leads, as in the case of The Good Girl’s caustic Cheryl, who outshone Jennifer Aniston every time Deschanel cracked wise. Some actors are praised for their chameleonic qualities, their ability to effortlessly morph into a broad range of characters. In Deschanel’s case, it’s almost the opposite; what makes her so appealing is that she’s so reliably Zooey.

Without a script, Deschanel is still charming, though remarkably awkward. In interviews, she often explodes in nervous laughter and approaches the trite inquisitions of late-night talk shows as though they are real conversations. She knows she’s supposed to display her idiosyncrasies like shiny gifts, but fumbles when it comes to format. In a memorable appearance on Late Night with David Letterman early in her career, a breathless Deschanel anxiously rubbed her hands on her skirt, snorted when Letterman asked about her hobbies and stuttered through descriptions of making colour Xeroxes and “cut[ting] out pictures of Liza Minnelli and her husband.”

Deschanel, right, recently formed the duo She & Him with singer-songwriter M. Ward.Deschanel, right, recently formed the duo She & Him with singer-songwriter M. Ward. (Merge Records)

Not all her hobbies are as outlandish; for example, Deschanel just launched her musical career. Having performed fine duets in Elf with both Ferrell and the gravel-throated Leon Redbone (on Baby, It’s Cold Outside), she recently formed the duo She & Him with alt-folkie M. Ward. Ward’s ragged arrangements of saloon piano and heartland guitars won’t shock anyone familiar with his solo work, but Deschanel matches him in the vocal department. Her voice is warm and expressive, with a slight vibrato that suits the duo’s unshowy, anachronistic songs.

What The Go-Getter demonstrates is how much of Deschanel’s charm derives from her physical presence. One of the film’s quirks is that Deschanel doesn’t appear on camera until two-thirds of the way through; but you hear her throughout. After Mercer steals her car, Kate calls her cellphone, which she left on the dashboard; the film’s conceit is that she accompanies him aurally throughout his journey. Couched in her quizzical, adenoidal delivery, Deschanel’s lines are typical Sundance Girl fodder – existential ponderings and heartfelt confessions about love and life. But somehow, when you can’t see her baby blues blinking at you, the girl’s charm fades. (Martin Hynes’s excruciatingly earnest script and direction don’t help, either.)

Can Deschanel pass as a leading lady? Well, sure – provided the role calls for an arty, awkward Sundance Girl. She proved as much in All the Real Girls. But a leading lady in a blockbuster? She gets her chance next week, when the pale nymphet stars opposite Mark Wahlberg in M. Night Shyamalan’s eerie enviro-thriller The Happening. It will be the first time she has played a mainstream lead. I hope it doesn’t mark her transition to generic Hollywood babe; we’ve already got enough of those. I’d love to see Deschanel continue her reign as Sundance Girl 4 Life.

The Go-Getter opens in Toronto on June 6. The Happening opens across Canada on June 13.

Sarah Liss writes about the arts for CBCNews.ca.

ORIGINAL ARTICLE: [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
ehbee
ehbee
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 728
Say What You Want : A pregnant goldfish is called a 'twit'
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

The Mark of Zooey Empty Re: The Mark of Zooey

Post by HarHar21 Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:18 pm

hey ehbee..it's been a while. how are things girl? I got she&him's volume one and it's fantastic! I'm only venting because the go-getter won't be shown here in the Philippines...waaaaaaaa...
HarHar21
HarHar21
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 133
Say What You Want : Forensic Anthropologist! That's why no gun.
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ehbee Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:41 am

hey har! i was wondering about 'she&him' ... zooey had an awesome voice in 'elf' ha ha... i'm curious about go-getter too - everything i've seen her in has been good.. have you seen that hbo show (can't remember the name) when she is playing 'dorothy' from the wizard of oz??
ehbee
ehbee
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by phoebsfan Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:54 am

The Tinman and I think it was a Sci fi mini series but I could be wrong. But it's gotta be one of my favs of all time... I love Zooey.
phoebsfan
phoebsfan
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4792

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Yup, Sci-Fi miniseries for sure. I thought it was fabulous. Quite odd and bizarre, but really very cool. Zooey was great as "DG"
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4106
Say What You Want : Dancing Phalanges! Dancing Phalanges!

Back to top Go down

Post by starbuck1974 Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:09 pm

I think Zooey has a great voice, just got her album "She&Him", really nice. The family resemblance cannot be denied.
starbuck1974
starbuck1974
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Karlia-Wicked-Witch Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:27 pm

me adores She&Him
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 16090
Say What You Want : Buena Suerte Y Adios Mis Amigos <3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah9488 Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:16 am

It's such a shame you can't buy She & Him: Volume One in Germany (apart from ebay, but it's so expensive over there).

Today, I was going into a McDonalds and there was this huge poster to this film with pics of Zooey. I probably looked very odd staring at this poster. However, actually, it was a poster for this McDonald's movie magazine that I took with me immediately. Maybe I'll be cutting out her pictures...

And don't you think she looks a lot like Emily on the second pic?
Sarah9488
Sarah9488
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1104
Say What You Want : Avatar: https://twitter.com/bitsy_bones

http://www.myspace.com/sarah9488

Back to top Go down

Post by HarHar21 Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:39 am

Yeah Ehbee, I know about that HBO thing..the tin man..as usual awesome! I think Alan Cumming was there too so it's super fab...but I so love her in Eulogy..ultimate funny movie! oh ehbee, I miss our late night talks!
HarHar21
HarHar21
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:19 pm

I think I might check out her CD on iTunes. See if I like it and I might buy it. I love her voice!
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by ehbee Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:59 am

what genre of music is 'she & him'?
ehbee
ehbee
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:47 am

ehbee, it's listed as "alternative" on iTunes.
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:48 am

But it sounds kinda folk-ey. At least from the samples I've listened to. Zooey sounds great!
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah9488 Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:27 pm

On their official myspace page it's listed as Indie.
Sarah9488
Sarah9488
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by Virpukka Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:34 pm

Hey what is the address to that myspace page??

That album is so good and Sarah9488 I just check it, you can order it from the cdon.com ([Only admins are allowed to see this link] Just now it seems to be sold out but you can put it under monitoring and when they got it you get message to you from it. I bought it from there and it wasn't so expensive in there.
Virpukka
Virpukka

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:02 pm

She's a very good singer, it's true. I think that's why Emily was so hard on herself; she was comparing herself to Zooey. She shouldn't though, because she was fantastic!

Ehbee... I love your siggy!!!!!!
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4649
Say What You Want : MAMA: STONE-COLD SHIPPER.

http://www.bonesspoilers.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ehbee Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:30 pm

thanks! willi, queen admin made it for me... i asked for a brennan one because she's my fav character... yes, that's right. *whispers* booth is not my favourite character *listens for gasps or horror*
ehbee
ehbee
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Evi Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:01 am

Gasp!!!

lol!
Evi
Evi
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1276
Say What You Want : I cried like a baby. And I was evil then!..... twitter.com/wendyyoung
Registration date : 2008-06-13

http://www.obsessedwithbones.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:12 am

ehbee wrote:

thanks! willi, queen admin made it for me... i asked for a brennan one because she's my fav character... yes, that's right. *whispers* booth is not my favourite character *listens for gasps or horror*

Eh... you're not alone!!! She's my favorite character, too!!! Laughing

(I also love Sweets and Cam!!! gasp!)
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by HarHar21 Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:40 pm

Volume 2 is in the works..glad to see Zooey is into this, for keeps I hope..hey ehbee!
HarHar21
HarHar21
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Karlia-Wicked-Witch Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:29 pm

YAAAY for Volume 2...can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last album was just brilliant!

Also saw Tin Man few weeks ago.
FANTASTIC!
Zooey is just FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
Karlia-Wicked-Witch
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 16090
Say What You Want : Buena Suerte Y Adios Mis Amigos <3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah9488 Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:47 am

Has anyone seen the video of "Why do you let me stay here" yet? I really like it. It reminds me of a mixture of old Disney movies and Charlie and the chocolate factory...

Sarah9488
Sarah9488
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by crystallynn Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:51 pm

I love her voice and that song^. I heard that they did a Beatles cover. Is it any good?
crystallynn
crystallynn
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by HarHar21 Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:39 pm

Yes. The remake was fantastic, kinda folky by the shore...and I can't wait for Zooey to channel the great Janis Joplin next year. She's set to play her in the cineplex!
HarHar21
HarHar21
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by ForensicMama Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:35 am

She did a great job. She has a very unique voice, both in singing and in speaking.

It's funny to think that Zooey and Emily are sisters. True, they both have AMAZING eyes, highlighted by dark hair, but they both have very different acting styles. And very different personalities. I bet they're both lovely women, though. They both seem like a lot of fun. Very Happy
ForensicMama
ForensicMama
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down