Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007)

Go down

Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007) Empty Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007)

Post by space Sat May 31, 2008 7:10 am

I have just started Bones to Ashes and find it darker
than the previous Kathy Reichs novels. I am thinking
this may be going places I don't want to go. Will know
soon. Has anyone else had the same feeling?

space
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1571
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007) Empty reply from Kasper, 12/09/2007

Post by space Sat May 31, 2008 7:11 am

I finished already. I thought it was good, not one of my favorites, but her relationship with Ryan, while she keeps it from getting annoying, just frustrates me. I want to see them together or not together.

But the book has dark undertones for sure, it is still good.

space
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007) Empty reply from eggfish!!, 12/09/2007

Post by space Sat May 31, 2008 7:12 am

ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh sounds interesting

i dont think i'll be able to read it till a very long time. very busy with studying and the library still just has it on order...

i the mean time would anyone be able to give a detailed review, to tie me over till i can actually read it?? Esp. regarding tempe and ryans relationship (does she finally call him andrew/andy) and what about her estranged husband pete (is he still trying to crack on her?)

greatly appreciated thanks

space
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007) Empty reply from HarHar21, 12/09/2007

Post by space Sat May 31, 2008 7:13 am

wish i could get my hands on that new book....wohoooo

space
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007) Empty reply from suzyquzy, 13/09/2007

Post by space Sat May 31, 2008 7:13 am

Just finished "Bones to Ashes"
I was darker than her previous books.
The subject matter was very hard to read,
but I hung in and really really liked the
book. The way she tells her story makes it
hard to put book down once I've started
it.

I cried more then I usually do when reading her books.

space
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007) Empty reply from eggfish!!, 14/09/2007

Post by space Sat May 31, 2008 7:14 am

Ok is a book review i found in an aus weekend paper

" Observant readers who loved Kathy Reichs's first few and then noticed a falling-off wont be surprised to see that her latest Tempe Brennan novel has followed the pattern. Clearly someone- an editor, publisher or agent - keeps urging Reichs to make her work more populist: snappy dialogue, simplified science, short paragraphs and lots of romantic intrigue.
Given how good the first few novels were and how intriguing the whole forensic-anthropologist angle continues to be, its sad to see quality sacrificed for sales in this way. What saves this novel is its account of one of North America's most intriguing cultures, the Acadians, and its worth reading for that alone.
But otherwise, here we are again with more lurid solutions to mysteries, more sexual tension and rom-com plot twists involving the smouldering Detective Ryan, and yet another climactic scene in which Ryan tells Brennan to stay put and Brennan immediately gets up and sprints straight into the line of fire. No surprises there."

What do those of you who have read it think about the review?
I agree with the bit about Tempe always rushing into the line of fire, shes always getting attacked im surprised theres no permanent brain damage or anything. I dont think her books are 'falling off' i quite enjoyed break no bones but the plot did remind me of one of her other books, bare bones? (i cant remember just something similar with harvesting of organs)

space
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007) Empty reply from Kasper, 15/09/2007

Post by space Sat May 31, 2008 7:14 am

I agree with some aspects of the article. While her writing is good, the dragging of the sexual tension can get annoying sometimes and yes, she always does move when told to stay put. And while the plots may b similar, I'll still read the books no matter what.

space
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007) Empty reply from riviera41797, 17/09/2007

Post by space Sat May 31, 2008 7:15 am

I am 1/2 way thru the book and agree - either want her and Ryan together or not. UGH!

space
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007) Empty reply from redrider6612, 24/09/2007

Post by space Sat May 31, 2008 7:16 am

i just finished the book and i liked it...i liked getting a glimpse of her childhood...the thing with Ryan is actually pretty true-to-life with how a relationship can go...that dance of trying to feel the other person out without opening yourself up to pain...pete's getting married to some bimbo 20 yrs younger than him, so it looks like he's finally out of the picture, but ryan's back with his ex, so there's another obstacle they have to overcome...i can handle the sexual tension for another book or two, but then i think they need to get together

oh, and the comment about the lack of dense scientific exosition--as a total NON squinty kinda person, i usually skim those parts anyway, so i didn't miss them

as for tempe not doing what she's told and getting in trouble as a result...as a plot device, it's getting old, i agree, but what's the alternative? would it be realistic for ryan to hand her a gun and take her with him? i don't think so...and if she stayed put, that would eliminate some of the exciting action and danger and suspense

overall, i enjoyed the book...it was a bit dark, but most of her books are...i mean, c'mon, she's writing about murder, how do you NOT go dark with that?

space
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007) Empty reply from eggfish!!, 30/09/2007

Post by space Sat May 31, 2008 7:17 am

oh my, Ryan's back with his ex. i guess they needed a more kinks in the relationship to make it different - but i dont like it LOL

space
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007) Empty reply from SquirtandMilo, 10/10/2007

Post by space Sat May 31, 2008 7:18 am

I enjoyed it, but it was not her best. The whole Ryan thing annoys me. Agh. And I liked it when the science was more intellectual. They have dropped off a bit. It's disappointing.

space
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007) Empty reply from ToZiKa, 16/10/2007

Post by space Sat May 31, 2008 7:18 am

Ryan's back with his ex?
How could that happen?

The science in the book has always been criticised.
But I liked the way how every aspect of a crime scene has been explained.

space
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007) Empty Re: Bones to Ashes Discussions of Latest Book (originally posted by suzyquzy, 12/09/2007)

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum