Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone who has been to LA, DC or San Francisco (or those that live there!)

5 posters

Go down

Anyone who has been to LA, DC or San Francisco (or those that live there!) Empty Anyone who has been to LA, DC or San Francisco (or those that live there!)

Post by future_anthro Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:13 pm

Some friends and i heading to the USA in July (woot 37 days til we leave) and we are going to LA, DC, Knoxville TN, NYC and San Fran.

I've pretty much got a list of things i want to see/do in LA, DC, NYC and SF (I'm in Knox for a course so won't have time to do much else) but was hoping that if anyone is a local, or has been before, you could maybe recommend awesome things to see/do that aren't necessarily the traditional touristy type of things.

Especially in SF because that's where i have the most time. We are only in LA & DC for two days, and NYC for three days but SF for four days.

To give you an idea of the types of things that interest me here's a couple of things off my list for each place that i'm looking forward to doing:

LA
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Universal Studies
Chinese Theatre, Kodak Theatre, Walk of Fame, etc

DC
Arlington National Cemetery
WWII Memorial
Washington Monument
Smithsonian's various museums
US Holocaust Memorial Museum
Jefferson Memorial
Roosevelt Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
All via the [Only admins are allowed to see this link].
Crime & Punishment Museum

NYC (My nephew lives in NYC so i've got my own personal guide there Smile)
MET
Times Square
Ground Zero
Flat Iron/Chrysler/Empire State Buildings
Rockefeller Centre
Natural History Museum
and if time Coney Island.

San Fran
Winchester Mystery House (okay, so not in San Fran, but close)
Alcatraz
Chinatown
Lombard St
Fishermans Wharf
The [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Last edited by future_anthro on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

Anyone who has been to LA, DC or San Francisco (or those that live there!) Empty Re: Anyone who has been to LA, DC or San Francisco (or those that live there!)

Post by heirofloki Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Uh, well, LA. Uh, never took a tour (well, I did when I was like, five, but it's been twenty years since then..lol). Chinese theater is awesome if you're there for a movie. Same for the Kodak. Don't just walk through. I mean, it's cool to walk through (especially if it's your first time, it's pretty impressive, the Kodak), but I really recommend a movie -even a crappy one. Good, Goood theaters.

I'm more of an artsy person I guess, (lol) so I'd say try to bounce by the Walt Disney Concert Hall. If nothing else, it's a pretty impressive work of architecture by one of the greats of our time. The acoustics are a work of art on their own -and of course, they have tours of the site. Wink The Getty Center (art museum) is a bit harder to get to if you don't have a car, but it's also worth it if you have time. The gardens are gorgeous and the view of the city at sunset from that damn hill is nothing short of breathtaking. Best kept secret in town, I say.

If you have any time to spare, go down to the Santa Monica pier or take a walk down Venice beach (if you ever watch NCIS:LA, that's where Callen is supposed to live). It's fun and full of crazy hippy people (there's really crazy too, you know, be forewarned lol).

If you're into shopping, Melrose has awesome vintage shops for clothes and all sorts of accessories (and it's also chock full of crazy!). Montana Ave. has lots of higher end stuff (lots of organic clothing and like, specialty shoppes), and the Santa Monica Promenade has the usual suspects: Gap, Urban Outfitters, Sephora, and so on and so forth... As for malls, IMO nothing beats The Grove. Also good place to bump into celebrities, or so I've heard -personally, I always seem to encounter people at the promenade or at hidey-hole restaurants, but I'm always hearing that so-and-so was at The Grove. And anyway, it's an awesome place to shop. Great farmer's market, too, if you feel like snacking.

The more accessible of the three above is probably the Promenade. Pretty much can catch a bus there from anywhere in town (if you're not driving, that is).

Also worth walking through: Rodeo Drive and the adjacent Beverly Hills area. It's cliched, I know, but the windows are gorgeous enough (if like me, you're too broke to actually buy something there), the food is affordable and well, it's just pretty.

I see you already have Universal on your list. That's my favorite park so yay! for you. I have yet to meet anyone who didn't love it. Disney is close enough to the city as well. It has a tendency to be crowded (and it's not my favorite flavor of entertainment), but I'd say try it if you have the will and the chance. *shrug* I have gone with a few peeps and they really liked it. It's kind of a cute outing -if you're into disney stuff, that is.

I don't know what else to say. I know all the art museums, so I can maybe direct you to one of those, if you wanna try that. Mostly that's what I do when I'm in town. Go to the phil, catch a concert and try to go hang out with my family. *sigh* Now I'm homesick! lol.

Just don't get caught Downtown or South of there after hours. Fact, just stick to the nicer parts of town. I know some first-time tourists like to get into 'the heart of the city', but uh, no. Don't try that. LOL. I love LA and all, but yeah, it's got some really less than safe areas. No, really.

Anyway. Be safe and enjoy your trip!!

heirofloki
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1343
Say What You Want : "Alright. The apocalypse is approaching and the world is ending, and the riders are coming at full speed, but before that happens, I want to give you an apartment. Tell me which one!"
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Anyone who has been to LA, DC or San Francisco (or those that live there!) Empty Re: Anyone who has been to LA, DC or San Francisco (or those that live there!)

Post by future_anthro Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:03 pm

Firstly, thank you!
heirofloki wrote:Uh, well, LA. Uh, never took a tour (well, I did when I was like, five, but it's been twenty years since then..lol). Chinese theater is awesome if you're there for a movie. Same for the Kodak. Don't just walk through. I mean, it's cool to walk through (especially if it's your first time, it's pretty impressive, the Kodak), but I really recommend a movie -even a crappy one. Good, Goood theaters.
Will definitely keep that in mind and see a movie if we have the chance. We aren't there for long so the likely hood is that we wouldn't have the time but if we manage to find the time i'll definitely try!
heirofloki wrote:I'm more of an artsy person I guess, (lol) so I'd say try to bounce by the Walt Disney Concert Hall. If nothing else, it's a pretty impressive work of architecture by one of the greats of our time. The acoustics are a work of art on their own -and of course, they have tours of the site. Wink The Getty Center (art museum) is a bit harder to get to if you don't have a car, but it's also worth it if you have time. The gardens are gorgeous and the view of the city at sunset from that damn hill is nothing short of breathtaking. Best kept secret in town, I say.
I personally am not an artsy person but will definitely consider the Concert Hall tour anyway.
heirofloki wrote:If you have any time to spare, go down to the Santa Monica pier or take a walk down Venice beach (if you ever watch NCIS:LA, that's where Callen is supposed to live). It's fun and full of crazy hippy people (there's really crazy too, you know, be forewarned lol).
I'm definitely hoping to get to either Venice Beach or Santa Monica. Unfortunately because we only have two days and one of those will be spent at Universal i'm not sure how we'll go.
heirofloki wrote:If you're into shopping, Melrose has awesome vintage shops for clothes and all sorts of accessories (and it's also chock full of crazy!). Montana Ave. has lots of higher end stuff (lots of organic clothing and like, specialty shoppes), and the Santa Monica Promenade has the usual suspects: Gap, Urban Outfitters, Sephora, and so on and so forth... As for malls, IMO nothing beats The Grove. Also good place to bump into celebrities, or so I've heard -personally, I always seem to encounter people at the promenade or at hidey-hole restaurants, but I'm always hearing that so-and-so was at The Grove. And anyway, it's an awesome place to shop. Great farmer's market, too, if you feel like snacking.

The more accessible of the three above is probably the Promenade. Pretty much can catch a bus there from anywhere in town (if you're not driving, that is).
We are definitely shoppers, we'll probably leave the shopping til the end of the trip (less to lug around!) but i'll definitely keep those in mind.
heirofloki wrote:Also worth walking through: Rodeo Drive and the adjacent Beverly Hills area. It's cliched, I know, but the windows are gorgeous enough (if like me, you're too broke to actually buy something there), the food is affordable and well, it's just pretty.
I'd been wondering if Rodeo Drive was worth the wandering around. I thought if we were in the area for something else and had the time we'd check it out. I'm definitely too broke to buy something!
heirofloki wrote:I see you already have Universal on your list. That's my favorite park so yay! for you. I have yet to meet anyone who didn't love it. Disney is close enough to the city as well. It has a tendency to be crowded (and it's not my favorite flavor of entertainment), but I'd say try it if you have the will and the chance. *shrug* I have gone with a few peeps and they really liked it. It's kind of a cute outing -if you're into disney stuff, that is.
Definitely going Universal!! I'm looking so forward to the Mummy ride i can't put it into words lol. I'm not a Disney person so it wasn't a difficult choice as to whether i would go Universal or Disney Smile
heirofloki wrote:Just don't get caught Downtown or South of there after hours. Fact, just stick to the nicer parts of town. I know some first-time tourists like to get into 'the heart of the city', but uh, no. Don't try that. LOL. I love LA and all, but yeah, it's got some really less than safe areas. No, really.

Anyway. Be safe and enjoy your trip!!
Pretty sure we actually won't even be heading downtown at all. We are staying in West Hollywood and most of what we are doing will be in Hollywood and it's general vicinity. I'll make a note though!!
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:26 pm

DC
Arlington National Cemetery
WWII Memorial
Washington Monument
Smithsonian's various museums
US Holocaust Memorial Museum
Jefferson Memorial
Roosevelt Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
All via the Tour Mobile.
Crime & Punishment Museum

Okay, first of all, I would not do the tourmobile if I were you...you'll probably have to walk just as much anyway, and I wouldn't pay the price since all the monuments/memorials are pretty close that you can walk to them, and the metro can get you right to everything else. However, that's up to you.

Now, the Smithsonian Museums close at 5:30 usually, though they do have special summer hours on some dates and close at 7:30, and Arlington closes around then as well. The C&P Museum doesn't close till 9, so plan for that later in the day after the Smithsonian closes, but be sure to leave about 2 to 2 1/2 hours for it...it is really awesome! You can purchase tickets online for a certain time to get there; it's a few dollars cheaper and you don't have to worry about standing in line for tickets. All the monuments/memorials are basically open 24/7, so you can fit those in when the Museums close. Except for the Washington Monument...if you want to go up to the top, (which I recommend), you need a timed ticket. They are free, but you need to get there super early to get a ticket because they go very fast. I would definitely stop there by 9 or 10 at the very latest for tickets; you don't have to tour it then, but you can get tickets for anytime during the day.

So anyway, you could do something like this:

Arrive at the Holocaust Museum, (which is a must see, btw). It opens at 10, but you should be there a little early, maybe around 9:30, to get in line and get a ticket, (they are free). You're going to be in there probably about 2 1/2 hours. Then I would either grab a snack at the cafe in the Museum or at one of the numerous vendors that are set up all over the place down there, and head to the Jefferson Memorial, since that is the closest one to the Museum. After that, Arlington before dinner then the C&P Museum.

Next day, arrive at the Mall by 9 or 9:30 to get your tickets for the Washington Monument. Museum of Natural History, Museum of American History, (they are right beside each other), and then any others that you want to do. Then do the WWII and Lincoln Memorial after. And of course, the Washington Monument whenever you have your tickets for.

Obviously, this is just an example, you can do whatever you want.

btw, all the Museums have cafes, but they are way overpriced. They are convenient, however. If you have time and would rather not pay those prices, I would recommend taking the metro to Union Station; there is a mall there with a food court where you can get almost anything. Or you can take the metro to Gallery Place/Chinatown...there are lots of places to eat there too. Oh, and Gallery Place is the metro station for the C&P Museum, so you could grab something to eat there before your tour.

All the Smithsonian Museums open at 10, except for the Castle, which opens at 8:30.

I used to have a great website bookmarked for DC, but I can't find it anymore. This one is pretty good, though...it will give you links to the websites for all of the things you want to see. These websites will also have what metro station is closest, so I also included a website for the metro itself. Just a note, if you're going more than 2 stops on the metro in one day, (which you probably will), I would get the all day pass. It will be cheaper and much more convenient.

Anyway, if you have any questions, just PM me and I'll try to answer them. And have fun!

flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Number of posts : 68808
Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

Closing time - time for you to go back to the places you will be from.
Closing time - this room won't be open 'til your brothers or your sisters come.
So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.
Closing time - every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by future_anthro Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:19 pm

flyersfan35 wrote:Okay, first of all, I would not do the tourmobile if I were you...you'll probably have to walk just as much anyway, and I wouldn't pay the price since all the monuments/memorials are pretty close that you can walk to them, and the metro can get you right to everything else. However, that's up to you.
Really? We only thought about doing it because we have such little time. We fly in at 7pm on 16th and then fly out 5pm on the 18th. So we really only have one full day and one half day if you take into account getting to/from the airport and check in time etc.
flyersfan35 wrote:Now, the Smithsonian Museums close at 5:30 usually, though they do have special summer hours on some dates and close at 7:30, and Arlington closes around then as well. The C&P Museum doesn't close till 9, so plan for that later in the day after the Smithsonian closes, but be sure to leave about 2 to 2 1/2 hours for it...it is really awesome! You can purchase tickets online for a certain time to get there; it's a few dollars cheaper and you don't have to worry about standing in line for tickets.
I've already checked out the closing hours of all the museums that i want to visit. I I thought that i would do the museums on the mall, the crime and punishment museum and as many of the monuments as i could on the Saturday (the one full day we are there) and then Arlington and what is left of the monuments on the Sunday. Does that sound doable when you figure in having to get around? And are some of the monuments better to see at night rather than during the day? I want to see the Washington Monument both night and day.
flyersfan35 wrote: All the monuments/memorials are basically open 24/7, so you can fit those in when the Museums close. Except for the Washington Monument...if you want to go up to the top, (which I recommend), you need a timed ticket. They are free, but you need to get there super early to get a ticket because they go very fast. I would definitely stop there by 9 or 10 at the very latest for tickets; you don't have to tour it then, but you can get tickets for anytime during the day.
Would it be the best idea to get up early, head straight to the Washington Monument, get a ticket and then work the rest around it? I thought i'd do that and then do the museums i want to see in roughly the following order based on when they close...
Castle - 5.30pm
American Indian - 5.30pm
Air & Space - 7.30pm
Nat Hist. - 7.30pm
American Hist. - 7.30pm
Crime & Punish. - 9.00pm

How long do you think they roughly all take? I mean i usually work through museums pretty fast but i know i could probably spend a long long time in the Air & Space, Nat Hist., Crime & Punish. and American Hist.
flyersfan35 wrote:btw, all the Museums have cafes, but they are way overpriced. They are convenient, however. If you have time and would rather not pay those prices, I would recommend taking the metro to Union Station; there is a mall there with a food court where you can get almost anything. Or you can take the metro to Gallery Place/Chinatown...there are lots of places to eat there too. Oh, and Gallery Place is the metro station for the C&P Museum, so you could grab something to eat there before your tour.
Will definitely keep that in mind when we get hungry!
flyersfan35 wrote:Just a note, if you're going more than 2 stops on the metro in one day, (which you probably will), I would get the all day pass. It will be cheaper and much more convenient.
Now you've mentioned it's probably better to skip the tour mobile and go for the metro i'll definitely get a day pass! Does it cover rail and bus?

Thank you Fly!!
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Quite honestly, except for the C&P Museum and Arlington, which are both right on the Metro, everything else you want to see is on the Mall, which you would just walk to, so I really don't see the point of the tourmobile. That usually takes you all through the city...though to be honest, I've never done it. I mean, I know it takes you to the museums and things, but to get off and on and to wait for it...I really don't know how long it would take. It's probably just as easy to go on the Metro.

And I didn't realize you only have a day and a half. You can still probably do it, though if there's something I'd skip if I had to, it would be Arlington. Not that it's not great to see, but it will take some time, and it's a lot of walking up and down hills. Unless you take the bus tour through there...then it would probably be possible, though I've never done that one either, so I don't know how long that takes.

As far as the Washington Monument...like I said, I would definitely get there first thing to get a ticket and plan around it. And the tour itself probably only takes about 30 minutes or so.

How long do the Museums take? Well, the Castle you should be able to really breeze through...it's not that big and there's not much there. 30 minutes, I'd say.

Air and Space...it depends on if you look at everything. It's a big Museum, but a lot of the exhibits are just on display throughout the lobby and hanging from the ceilings and things. And some of the other displays didn't really interest me, so we just kind of walk quickly through them. For myself, I can do it in an hour, but I don't see everything, and I've been there before. For you, maybe 1 1/2 hours.

American Indian...I've never been there, so I have no idea.

American History...again, it depends on how much you want to see. Usually the Hall of Presidents, and the First Ladies exhibits are pretty full, and you kind of have to wait in line for those. What I would suggest, for all of the museums, is to check each of their websites before you go and decide what you really want to see and just hit those exhibits. Like the Transportation exhibit is interesting, but it's long, so you may want to skip it if it's not one of your must see exhibits. 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Natural History...again, probably not all of the museum will interest you, so check the website for the things you definitely want to see. 1 1/2 hours, maybe?

I notice you didn't have the Holocaust Museum on your last list...are you not going there now? If you do, it's gonna take you about 2 - 2 1/2 hours for that one.

C&P...2 - 2 1/2 hours. For this museum, you will want to see everything...and it's easy to do, because this one is basically in a line. To go from the entrance to the exit, you pass everything. Now, there is a lot of reading, but you don't have to read everything in detail...the pictures and displays tell the story as well.

The Monuments/Memorials...well, most of it is walking to them. But they each really shouldn't take you long.

Anyway, hope that helps!
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:20 pm

Oh, and I think the metro ticket does cover the bus, but really, you won't need the bus for the places you're going.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by future_anthro Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:43 pm

flyersfan35 wrote:Quite honestly, except for the C&P Museum and Arlington, which are both right on the Metro, everything else you want to see is on the Mall, which you would just walk to, so I really don't see the point of the tourmobile. That usually takes you all through the city...though to be honest, I've never done it. I mean, I know it takes you to the museums and things, but to get off and on and to wait for it...I really don't know how long it would take. It's probably just as easy to go on the Metro.
Ok, will probably just use the metro then! I had a look at the metro map and it does seem to cover all the places i'm going really easily, especially considering most of what i want to see is actually on the Mall.
flyersfan35 wrote:And I didn't realize you only have a day and a half. You can still probably do it, though if there's something I'd skip if I had to, it would be Arlington. Not that it's not great to see, but it will take some time, and it's a lot of walking up and down hills. Unless you take the bus tour through there...then it would probably be possible, though I've never done that one either, so I don't know how long that takes.
Yep, sadly only a day and a half. I wish i could have had more time. Arlington is actually one of two things i don't want to skip. Plus... If i didn't at least get a photo of JFK's grave for my mother... she'd think about killing me i swear. Smile
flyersfan35 wrote:As far as the Washington Monument...like I said, I would definitely get there first thing to get a ticket and plan around it. And the tour itself probably only takes about 30 minutes or so.
Cool, will definitely try and get there as early as we can.
flyersfan35 wrote:How long do the Museums take? Well, the Castle you should be able to really breeze through...it's not that big and there's not much there. 30 minutes, I'd say.

Air and Space...it depends on if you look at everything. It's a big Museum, but a lot of the exhibits are just on display throughout the lobby and hanging from the ceilings and things. And some of the other displays didn't really interest me, so we just kind of walk quickly through them. For myself, I can do it in an hour, but I don't see everything, and I've been there before. For you, maybe 1 1/2 hours.

American Indian...I've never been there, so I have no idea.

American History...again, it depends on how much you want to see. Usually the Hall of Presidents, and the First Ladies exhibits are pretty full, and you kind of have to wait in line for those. What I would suggest, for all of the museums, is to check each of their websites before you go and decide what you really want to see and just hit those exhibits. Like the Transportation exhibit is interesting, but it's long, so you may want to skip it if it's not one of your must see exhibits. 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Natural History...again, probably not all of the museum will interest you, so check the website for the things you definitely want to see. 1 1/2 hours, maybe?

I notice you didn't have the Holocaust Museum on your last list...are you not going there now? If you do, it's gonna take you about 2 - 2 1/2 hours for that one.

C&P...2 - 2 1/2 hours. For this museum, you will want to see everything...and it's easy to do, because this one is basically in a line. To go from the entrance to the exit, you pass everything. Now, there is a lot of reading, but you don't have to read everything in detail...the pictures and displays tell the story as well.

The Monuments/Memorials...well, most of it is walking to them. But they each really shouldn't take you long.

Anyway, hope that helps!
Oh no, i thought i put the Holocaust Museum on the list... i definitely want to go. I'll definitely print out all the floor plans i can find and highlight the areas that i want to see to make it easier. Smile
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:44 pm

Oh, and one more thing. I don't know where you're staying, but most hotels are either within walking distance to a Metro station, or will shuttle you there. Very Happy
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:53 pm

And I will check the tourmobile website later to see how often they run...with the museums, it's all right beside each other so you wouldn't need it there, but if they run every 15 - 30 minutes or so to the monuments and Arlington, it might be okay. Since Arlington is a must see for you, it might be a good idea since you won't have to waste time walking through it. I just didn't want you standing around waiting for the bus to get to another site, but if they run close enough together that won't be a problem.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by future_anthro Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:03 pm

flyersfan35 wrote:Oh, and one more thing. I don't know where you're staying, but most hotels are either within walking distance to a Metro station, or will shuttle you there. Very Happy
We are staying on 16th Street, N.W. Apparently it's about a 30 min walk from the Washington Monument... not sure how accurate that is though. I looked it up on Google maps and google maps agreed... though who knows how accurate THAT is lol.

This is the map of where the tour mobile goes
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

We were going to do the tour mobile thing where you can get on and off all day as much as you like to get from place to place (and i think i read somewhere they are arrive at each stop every 30 minutes..). I'm now thinking we'll just walk/metro most of it and then take their tour of Arlington for $7.50 (so we don't have to walk) that covers the Women in Military Service for America Memorial, Kennedy Gravesites, Tomb of the Unknowns (Changing of the Guard), Arlington House and the Robert E. Lee Memorial (or the dashed line on the map).
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by himbeer29 Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:07 pm

future_anthro wrote:

San Fran
Winchester Mystery House (okay, so not in San Fran, but close)
Alcatraz
Chinatown
Lombard St
Fishermans Wharf
The [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

I'm not sure how much time you have in SF, but you might also want to consider going out to Napa for a day. It's not too bad of a drive, if I remember correctly, and most of the wineries are free. There's a cute grocery store there too, so you could easily make a picnic lunch and save some money (rather than eating at the restaurants). Although to really save, I would pack food, because even the grocery was a bit expensive.

For Alcatraz, do the night tour. You go out by boat in the late afternoon, spend the evening on the island, watching the sun set and then you get to see alcatraz in the dark. It was so cool. We had to buy our tickets in advance, so plan for that.

Fisherman's Wharf is fine... know that it's pretty commercialized. I wouldn't plan on spending too much time there, because it's really just like a lot of other Piers/Wharfs/tourist areas in the other main cities. Not that you shouldn't go there at all, because there are some interesting things, but it's crowded and there isn't too much there that you won't find elsewhere. It's near where you will take the boat to Alcatraz, so you could do it close to that, if you're looking for organizational ideas. Also, right near Fisherman's Wharf is the Buena Vista Cafe, which prides itself on being the first place that served Irish Coffee drinks in America.

On the drinks note... we went to a speakeasy in SF where you had to have a password to get in. It's called Bourbon and Branch... they had amazing drinks and the place itself was cool just to look at. You have to make reservations (in order to get the daily password to get inside) and it's fun leaning up to the door and whispering the password into the speaker. Makes you feel all VIP ;-).

Also, I don't know if you are going to have a car or anything, but it's also a lot of fun just driving around the streets cause they are CRAZY. Lombard is known for it's steep, crookedness, but there are also other VERY steep streets that make you feel like you're on a rollercoaster.

Oh! very important - to get around during the day, we used the streetcars (because it's SF! you have to ride them when you're there!). Now, the main stop where they start downtown had a giant, huge line where you would have to wait for a long time to get on the streetcar, but they don't fill them up all the way, so we just walked uphill about a block or two to the next stop and hopped right on. The streetcars will take you to the Fisherman's Wharf area, plus, it's just fun :-). We stood in the back and watched one of the guys working them and it was really cool.

Hope that helps!
himbeer29
himbeer29
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 10638
Say What You Want : Chicks Against Energy Drinks = C.A.E.D ♫♪Because they are bad for you♪♫ (Thanks to Turi!)
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by himbeer29 Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:13 pm

OH! I almost forgot the most important part! And now I'm going to mess it up because i have to run out the door, but, and this is very important, go to the Mission (pretty sure that's the name) district and eat mexican food. Anywhere. As my friend said, the sidewalks there are paved with tortilla chips. And oh my gosh... best tacos EVER. We got some from a truck that were just... to die for. it's not the best neighborhood, but it's perfectly safe.

Also, another name that is eluding me... there is a mountain somewhere (like, a very tall one, not just the hills) in the city where you can go up and see all around. We went a night and it was gorgeous. Later today, when I get back and my husband gets home, I'll look up the exact details for you. (wow, that sounded dumb, but forgive me because I'm running out the door ;-)).
himbeer29
himbeer29
Administrator
Administrator

Say What You Want : Chicks Against Energy Drinks = C.A.E.D ♫♪Because they are bad for you♪♫ (Thanks to Turi!)

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:19 am

future_anthro wrote:
flyersfan35 wrote:Oh, and one more thing. I don't know where you're staying, but most hotels are either within walking distance to a Metro station, or will shuttle you there. Very Happy
We are staying on 16th Street, N.W. Apparently it's about a 30 min walk from the Washington Monument... not sure how accurate that is though. I looked it up on Google maps and google maps agreed... though who knows how accurate THAT is lol.

This is the map of where the tour mobile goes
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

We were going to do the tour mobile thing where you can get on and off all day as much as you like to get from place to place (and i think i read somewhere they are arrive at each stop every 30 minutes..). I'm now thinking we'll just walk/metro most of it and then take their tour of Arlington for $7.50 (so we don't have to walk) that covers the Women in Military Service for America Memorial, Kennedy Gravesites, Tomb of the Unknowns (Changing of the Guard), Arlington House and the Robert E. Lee Memorial (or the dashed line on the map).
Yeah, you should have no trouble finding a metro station from where you're staying. You can probably just walk a few blocks to find one, or I'm sure your hotel will shuttle you; most do. I love the metro...and they run probably every 10 minutes or so.

The Arlington tour sounds good, that should save you lots of time. I just didn't want you to waste your money if you're going to be touring museums all day, but your second day would be fine with the tourmobile. btw, the Changing of the Guard is really something to see.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Back to top Go down

Post by IheartB&B Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:02 am

If you are going to San Francisco and enjoy history I recommend going to the San Francisco Mission. Here is some information on it [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

And if you are going in the LA area you have to check out Santa Monica Pier.

IheartB&B
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by future_anthro Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:04 pm

himbeer29 wrote:I'm not sure how much time you have in SF, but you might also want to consider going out to Napa for a day. It's not too bad of a drive, if I remember correctly, and most of the wineries are free. There's a cute grocery store there too, so you could easily make a picnic lunch and save some money (rather than eating at the restaurants). Although to really save, I would pack food, because even the grocery was a bit expensive.
Unfortunately neither of us can drive Sad
himbeer29 wrote:For Alcatraz, do the night tour. You go out by boat in the late afternoon, spend the evening on the island, watching the sun set and then you get to see alcatraz in the dark. It was so cool. We had to buy our tickets in advance, so plan for that.
That sounds awesome. Do you remember where you got the tickets?
himbeer29 wrote:Fisherman's Wharf is fine... know that it's pretty commercialized. I wouldn't plan on spending too much time there, because it's really just like a lot of other Piers/Wharfs/tourist areas in the other main cities. Not that you shouldn't go there at all, because there are some interesting things, but it's crowded and there isn't too much there that you won't find elsewhere. It's near where you will take the boat to Alcatraz, so you could do it close to that, if you're looking for organizational ideas. Also, right near Fisherman's Wharf is the Buena Vista Cafe, which prides itself on being the first place that served Irish Coffee drinks in America.
Thanks for the info! We figured we'd just wander around for a little while Smile
himbeer29 wrote:On the drinks note... we went to a speakeasy in SF where you had to have a password to get in. It's called Bourbon and Branch... they had amazing drinks and the place itself was cool just to look at. You have to make reservations (in order to get the daily password to get inside) and it's fun leaning up to the door and whispering the password into the speaker. Makes you feel all VIP ;-).
That sounds totally awesome!! Googling that right now!
himbeer29 wrote:Also, I don't know if you are going to have a car or anything, but it's also a lot of fun just driving around the streets cause they are CRAZY. Lombard is known for it's steep, crookedness, but there are also other VERY steep streets that make you feel like you're on a rollercoaster.
No car unfortunately Sad
himbeer29 wrote:Oh! very important - to get around during the day, we used the streetcars (because it's SF! you have to ride them when you're there!). Now, the main stop where they start downtown had a giant, huge line where you would have to wait for a long time to get on the streetcar, but they don't fill them up all the way, so we just walked uphill about a block or two to the next stop and hopped right on. The streetcars will take you to the Fisherman's Wharf area, plus, it's just fun :-). We stood in the back and watched one of the guys working them and it was really cool.
Definitely plan on using the cable cars to get around!! That's for sure Smile
himbeer29 wrote: Hope that helps!
Very very helpful! Do you by chance have any other recs for eating, other than the mexican? We are there for 4 days, 3 nights Smile

Oh and is Chinatown good?
flyersfan35 wrote:Yeah, you should have no trouble finding a metro station from where you're staying. You can probably just walk a few blocks to find one, or I'm sure your hotel will shuttle you; most do. I love the metro...and they run probably every 10 minutes or so.

The Arlington tour sounds good, that should save you lots of time. I just didn't want you to waste your money if you're going to be touring museums all day, but your second day would be fine with the tourmobile. btw, the Changing of the Guard is really something to see.
We are staying in a friends apartment not a hotel, but it's meant to be pretty close to most things. Smile

I really really want to see the Changing of the Guard. One of the major reasons i want to go to Arlington.
IheartB&B wrote:If you are going to San Francisco and enjoy history I recommend going to the San Francisco Mission. Here is some information on it [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

And if you are going in the LA area you have to check out Santa Monica Pier.
Ooh.. Thanks for the suggestions! Smile
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by himbeer29 Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm

future_anthro wrote:
himbeer29 wrote:For Alcatraz, do the night tour. You go out by boat in the late afternoon, spend the evening on the island, watching the sun set and then you get to see alcatraz in the dark. It was so cool. We had to buy our tickets in advance, so plan for that.

We bought them online. You can do this at [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

future_anthro wrote:
Very very helpful! Do you by chance have any other recs for eating, other than the mexican? We are there for 4 days, 3 nights Smile

I probably do, I just have to think of them (and get my husband's notebook... he keeps track of EVERYTHING.) I know we went to a really good brunch place, but I forget the name. Also, a buffalo burger place that was a bit of a hole in the wall (by appearances) but apparently well known and very popular :-). Names are escaping me, sorry... I'll get back to you on that.

I actually missed the Chinatown day/meal because we went out to Berkeley to visit cousins, so I can't personally say that I know anything about it, but I've heard the dim sum is amazing ;-).

(also, you can just do mexican as a lunch. most of the places we went to were little taquerias, so not really for a nice dinner. Delicious, yes. But they were more lunch places than dinner places, if that makes sense?)
himbeer29
himbeer29
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by future_anthro Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:13 pm

himbeer29 wrote:
future_anthro wrote:

We bought them online. You can do this at [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

future_anthro wrote:

I probably do, I just have to think of them (and get my husband's notebook... he keeps track of EVERYTHING.) I know we went to a really good brunch place, but I forget the name. Also, a buffalo burger place that was a bit of a hole in the wall (by appearances) but apparently well known and very popular :-). Names are escaping me, sorry... I'll get back to you on that.

I actually missed the Chinatown day/meal because we went out to Berkeley to visit cousins, so I can't personally say that I know anything about it, but I've heard the dim sum is amazing ;-).

(also, you can just do mexican as a lunch. most of the places we went to were little taquerias, so not really for a nice dinner. Delicious, yes. But they were more lunch places than dinner places, if that makes sense?)
Thanks! Smile And yep, makes total sense.
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by himbeer29 Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Ok so I have food updates for you:

We went to dinner at a place called Oliveto. It was delicious, but we did it as our "nice" dinner because it's a bit pricey. If you google it you can look up the menu. Also, while it says it's not in SF proper, it's right next to a BART stop (their version of subway/commuter train) so it's really easy to get to.

The hamburger place was called Pearl's... It's a block north of Bourbon and Branch. Again, hole in the wall, but it's soooooo yummy. Also, we went there before going to Bourbon and Branch so it was convenient. (Since we had a specific time we had to be at B&B).

Neither one of us remembers the name of the brunch place. I can email my friends who live there to ask, if you want.
himbeer29
himbeer29
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by future_anthro Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Ooooh, thanks! No need to email, it's okay. We are definitely going to go to Bourbon and Branch so i'll look up Pearl's for sure. Smile
future_anthro
future_anthro
Doctor
Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down