Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me understand the Brennan hate!

+41
dreamerktm411
nati.cba
geraghtyvl
willgirl
Lyanna Stark
the beaver1965
MoonlightGardenias
AmandaMarshall
happylama2
THX1138
Alsepang
leilocas
future_anthro
himbeer29
bonesfan158
sleepless
Ankuuh
Temperance Rose
i_heart_bones
Manjachka
Meegs82
recoveringbonesaddict
AmandaFriend
Bonesicted
Sarah9488
MI_Bonesgirl
SwaggerHeart
DBCrazy
flyersfan35
SnoopGirl
aardvark508
CanadianBones
jcn747
bones_fanatic19
DONEWITHIT
tinkrella
SJB
treble21
jjrobinson73
bones206
bugaboo628
45 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Help me understand the Brennan hate! Empty Help me understand the Brennan hate!

Post by bugaboo628 Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:00 am

It escalated last night and it was ridiculous. Suddenly there were posts, comments, tweets, etc that people sent talking about how much they hate Brennan. If it was a simple "I hate Brennan" I could live with that. People are talking about how the character needs to be removed from the show, how she needs to be "bitch-slapped", how she is using Booth, her crying has all been fake, she is a cold and heartless bitch and I am going to stop now.

I will be the first to admit that I am not a fan of the character Seeley Booth. I was up until about mid season 3. Then, IMO, he just got wierd. Do I hate him or want him beat up by a group of thugs? No. If I had that much hate for the character I wouldn't be able to enjoy the show.

My question to you is: "What the hell is going on?"

*Do not mention upcoming episodes when replying to this post*
bugaboo628
bugaboo628
Administrator/Head Moderator

Number of posts : 1586
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Help me understand the Brennan hate! Empty Re: Help me understand the Brennan hate!

Post by bones206 Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:14 am

I don't know. I think those people were just so blinded by the fact that they want Booth and Brennan together that they just can't comprehend that Booth and Brennan can't get together in 2 minutes flat.

Although, I will be the first to admit that I disagree with Brennan (in her "I can't change" speech). I think that whole I can't change because I'm a scientist line was bull crap. She's been changing throughout the entire series, heck, she even believes in love and marriage now.

So, I thought that Brennan was a bit irratating at that time, but then I came to understand that moment, and I thought that her rejection was totally in character and it was needed for the relationship to move foreword.
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2057
Say What You Want : I want to go ride my horse. I love my horse. I want to watch the new episodes of Bones. I want to talk to my friends about Bones. But, most of friends don't watch Bones. Sad
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Help me understand the Brennan hate! Empty Re: Help me understand the Brennan hate!

Post by jjrobinson73 Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:29 am

I don't hate Brennan. I do feel sorry for her. What gets me...if Booth loves her like he claims...why didn't he fight. She said she was protecting him from HER...why didn't he push to show her that he doesn't need protecting. You can't hate her when Booth didn't even give them a chance. I mean..hello...you've been her partner for 5 years...you know how she is...you held out this long...then you put it out there, and then when she says no...you say ok...I am gonna date other women.

Like I said, I feel sorry for her.

Acutally...how can you hate a fictional character? LOL!!

Jenn
jjrobinson73
jjrobinson73
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:34 am

I personally have no complaint at all, but from what I can gather from others posts they felt like Brennan didn't show any emotion this week about what happened last week and that apparently made them angry at her?
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by bugaboo628 Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:38 am

treble21 wrote:I personally have no complaint at all, but from what I can gather from others posts they felt like Brennan didn't show any emotion this week about what happened last week and that apparently made them angry at her?

I have read that too. It makes me wonder if people have even been paying attention to her character during the past 5 years. That is what Brennan does, she hides her emotions. Her actions in last night's episode were consitent with the way her character has always been.
bugaboo628
bugaboo628

Back to top Go down

Post by treble21 Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:54 am

bugaboo628 wrote:
treble21 wrote:I personally have no complaint at all, but from what I can gather from others posts they felt like Brennan didn't show any emotion this week about what happened last week and that apparently made them angry at her?

I have read that too. It makes me wonder if people have even been paying attention to her character during the past 5 years. That is what Brennan does, she hides her emotions. Her actions in last night's episode were consitent with the way her character has always been.

I so agree,I felt like she was completely in character and the only issue I had last night was one comment she made to Booth, and I've made peace with it. I've been really trying to stay out of some of those discussions because what I have to say will not come out very .....shall we say..... pleasantly
treble21
treble21
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4680
Say What You Want : I'm gonna miss the ABY.
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by SJB Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:58 am

I don't understand the hate towards her either.
I wonder if the people making those comments really understand her character, or if they have been watching from the beginning.
But I also get frustrated with people who state they are never watching the show again......only to continue watching and complaining about the story line!!

I am finding the current storyline interesting, and am keen to follow it and see where the writers are taking us. Doesn't mean I like what might happen from here until finale, but it doesn't mean I will stop watching.

On a side note.....I do love the amount of passion that people have for this show, whether it be love or hate, the writers certainly know how to stir everyone up don't they!!
SJB
SJB
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:00 am

I also feel like those people have been living under a rock for the last few seasons. Have they even watched at all?

I have no problems with not liking a character. Whatever. That's their opinion but to hate her for saying no to booth is insane. What did they honesty expect to happen? I'm not sure about you girls....but I pretty much was 95 percent sure that she would be the one to back down.

I do think they are blinded by the blaring need to get BB together. She did it because she was scared. Plain and simple. Everything she said was an excuse...she just couldn't admit she was terrified of losing him. The only thing she knows is friendship. I think the high school episode made it pretty darn clear that the only real friends brennan has ever had are the ones in her lab and Booth.

I don't know why, but I understand Brennnan. I get her. She's never felt that way about anyone and isn't even sure feelings like that can last.

At the same time, booth isn't innocent either. He HAS ISSUES. Just like her. It makes me crazy when everyone says "oh poor booth...he has to deal with Fed up brennan." he's just as screwed up as her. We caught a glimpse of that in the 100th with the gambling.

Yes, brennan basically rejected him...but IMO it's something they both have equal parts in. Booth has been holding these feelings in all season. He lets her basically get away with murder because he can't grow a set and say "no bennan...IT'S NOT OKAY that we talk about this stuff." They are both at fault and both need to figure stuff out.

For some reason on every show it seems there is just always more fans of the hot male lead than the female. I guess it's all the DB crushes? lol I'm not sure.

I went off on a huge tangent...but...I wish I could help you understand but I can't b/c I don't either.

I felt a lot of emotions after the 100th but none of them were anger. I was hurt for her and him equally. I'm still hurt for them both equally.

I'm not even sure why these lines are drawn at all. Why is it brennan vs. booth fans when we should all be joined together rallying around the angst fest that could be the end of this season.

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by DONEWITHIT Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:16 pm

bugaboo628 wrote:It escalated last night and it was ridiculous. Suddenly there were posts, comments, tweets, etc that people sent talking about how much they hate Brennan. If it was a simple "I hate Brennan" I could live with that. People are talking about how the character needs to be removed from the show, how she needs to be "bitch-slapped", how she is using Booth, her crying has all been fake, she is a cold and heartless bitch and I am going to stop now.

I will be the first to admit that I am not a fan of the character Seeley Booth. I was up until about mid season 3. Then, IMO, he just got wierd. Do I hate him or want him beat up by a group of thugs? No. If I had that much hate for the character I wouldn't be able to enjoy the show.

where was this happening??? I missed it...I mean she is weird but fake? heartless bitch? loco
DONEWITHIT
DONEWITHIT
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 187
Say What You Want : Ifyou don't have anything constructive to say,silence is your best friend.
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by bones_fanatic19 Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:07 pm

When I was reading some of these comments I was totally confused about why they people would have this reaction towards her. For one, from the beginning she has been emotionally distant for the most part and socially awkward so anything she did in this episode really shouldn't come to a surprise to anyone. Also one comment which I read which was along the lines of 'Brennan you are a selfish bitch, you are just using Booth to get a dance!!" IMO was totally off the mark, because Brennan has once said herself she has not very good at playing people and I doubt she would ever do something like that.

Although ultimately I want to see BB together, I do acknowledge the fact that it will take time, and a whole lot of work. I totally expected Brennan to turn him down, because that is what she has been doing all her life, the people who didn't see that coming obviously don't pay attention or expect a fairytale ending. And I am one of the people who feels equally sorry for both Brennan and Booth, because while Booth was rejected by the woman he loves which is heartbreaking. Brennan is just scared and it's not like he fought her decision and tried to change her mind. Anyway that's my little rant, I still don't understand why everyone is hating Brennan cause, really she has done anything out of the ordinary.
bones_fanatic19
bones_fanatic19
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1112
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jcn747 Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:16 pm

See what people need to do is understand her character. If she didnt do the things she did she would not be Bones, you can only learn so much and go so far. I think back off coz u would be even more angry if she was out of character, accept the fact they are not together yet and get over it.

And may i ask why u dont like Booth?? just curious?? Very Happy
jcn747
jcn747
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 370
Say What You Want : !!We are talking about translation!!
Burdens that allow us to fly
--
"It's not always rainbows and butterflies It's compromise that moves us along, my heart is full and my doors always open you come anytime you want "
♥ Maroon 5 ♥
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianBones Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:29 pm

this is the first I've heard of the brennan hate...i don't hate her. The only Bones sites I go to are this one, Obsessedwithbones.com and HH's twitter. To me the fact that she asked him if the dance would make him uncomfortable shows how much she's grown, I think she did it because she didn't want to make Booth uncomfortable, but Booth would do anything for her. I thought the whole thing was sweet.I love all the characters and what they bring to the show. Wow there has been a lot of debate over Bones in the past couple weeks...
CanadianBones
CanadianBones
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1266
Say What You Want : they shouldn't be doing that on the forensic platform. - brennan
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:22 am

CanadianBones wrote:this is the first I've heard of the brennan hate...i don't hate her. The only Bones sites I go to are this one, Obsessedwithbones.com and HH's twitter. To me the fact that she asked him if the dance would make him uncomfortable shows how much she's grown, I think she did it because she didn't want to make Booth uncomfortable, but Booth would do anything for her. I thought the whole thing was sweet.I love all the characters and what they bring to the show. Wow there has been a lot of debate over Bones in the past couple weeks...

Bones would also do anything for him as she said before. Look what she did for him in the proof in the pudding? Brennan has grown by leaps and bounds since season one. If people can't see how truly far she has come than I don't think they are really paying attention. Or perhaps they are new viewers who didn't watch the earlier seasons.

That being said....no matter how far she has grown, there is no way she would be 'all whole and healed' just out of the blue. I for one would have rather see brennan say what she said to booth than her just leaping into his arms and confessing her love. That would be OOC. Even in the flash back she was the one to pull back and stop them from sleeping together. The rest of this season will be a learning experience for her and we KNOW she has a "dangerously steep learning curve."

I think some people went into the 100th honestly expecting them to be a full blown couple....which didn't make sense to me, because there were still 8 episodes left of the season.

I'll be the first to admit brennan has some obvious character flaws...but so does every other character on the show. If brennan looked cold and complacent when she told booth she couldn't I might be able to see where people were coming from. But...Brennan looked just as devastated as booth if not more so.

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by aardvark508 Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:31 am

I do not see any reason to dislike Brennan or Booth for the recent events. They are, after all, fictional characters whose words and actions are products of their writer's and producer's imagination. With them, I do have a gripe. I wish the show was more about the development of Booth and Brennan's relationship in a realistic manner and much less about the writer's need to do something "clever" or "astonishing" to create ambiguous angst for its own sake. The result is the impossibility of trusting the little signs of growth from B&B when you know they can be trashed in a heartbeat if the writers need to do something the critics or reviwers think is "amazing." The hype and leak machine they cultivate is part of the disinformation and cleverness offensive. Their actions suggest any meaningful resolution of B&B realtionship is at least 12 months off. In the mean time, get ready for more cute, clever, and astonding plot twists. If you find that entertaining, you are going to love the ride. If you do not find it entertaining, take a break.

aardvark508

Number of posts : 22
Say What You Want : things are never what they seem
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopGirl Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:42 am

bugaboo628 wrote:It escalated last night and it was ridiculous. Suddenly there were posts, comments, tweets, etc that people sent talking about how much they hate Brennan. If it was a simple "I hate Brennan" I could live with that. People are talking about how the character needs to be removed from the show, how she needs to be "bitch-slapped", how she is using Booth, her crying has all been fake, she is a cold and heartless bitch and I am going to stop now.

She made Booth cry and broke his heart - then turns around and wants him to slow dance with her because that is what SHE wants. And asks him if it is difficult for him!
He has proven his patience with her, that he would do anything for her, and then she goes out with his BOSS! WTF? His boss, the man he reports to. That was tacky and low. If she says "I don't know what that means" one more time, I will scream (again) at my TV. That is so old now. For a woman who is "good in bed" she make the most asinine comments ever - "It was like kissing my brother" & "There was tongue contact". I would hope she doesn't kiss Russ she would Seeley Booth and that when she kisses Seeley Booth there WOULD be tongue contact. Her comments go beyond ludicrous. Her character is annoying. She can have good moments but unfortunately for a leading character they are few and far between.
That is why I don't like Temperance Brennan.

PS I wouldn't post about it on FaceBook or Twitter or start an "I Hate Brennan Club". I just post here what I think/feel.

SnoopGirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 9669
Say What You Want : Snoop I love you DB's Smile Smile

Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by bugaboo628 Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:19 am

SnoopGirl wrote:

She made Booth cry and broke his heart - then turns around and wants him to slow dance with her because that is what SHE wants. And asks him if it is difficult for him!
He has proven his patience with her, that he would do anything for her, and then she goes out with his BOSS! WTF? His boss, the man he reports to. That was tacky and low. If she says "I don't know what that means" one more time, I will scream (again) at my TV. That is so old now. For a woman who is "good in bed" she make the most asinine comments ever - "It was like kissing my brother" & "There was tongue contact". I would hope she doesn't kiss Russ she would Seeley Booth and that when she kisses Seeley Booth there WOULD be tongue contact. Her comments go beyond ludicrous. Her character is annoying. She can have good moments but unfortunately for a leading character they are few and far between.

PS I wouldn't post about it on FaceBook or Twitter or start an "I Hate Brennan Club". I just post here what I think/feel.

Wow! LOL! So much hate and disgust for a fictional character. I would hate to get on your bad side in real life. I don't understand how you can enjoy the show when Brennan is one of the main characters. To each their own I guess.
bugaboo628
bugaboo628

Back to top Go down

Post by bugaboo628 Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:22 am

jcn747 wrote:See what people need to do is understand her character. If she didnt do the things she did she would not be Bones, you can only learn so much and go so far. I think back off coz u would be even more angry if she was out of character, accept the fact they are not together yet and get over it.

And may i ask why u dont like Booth?? just curious?? Very Happy

It is not that I don't like him, he is just not my favorite character. Back in S1-S3 he was written well. He was cocky, funny and had a soft side. Toward the end of S3 he got goofy. In S4 he was even worse. This season is the worst IMO, a big Booth pity party. The character has lost his edge IMO. I want Booth "the cop" back.
bugaboo628
bugaboo628

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianBones Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:24 am

all of these debates are making me so confused lol i feel so lost...help!!
CanadianBones
CanadianBones
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1266
Say What You Want : they shouldn't be doing that on the forensic platform. - brennan
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by flyersfan35 Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:35 am

bugaboo628 wrote:
SnoopGirl wrote:

Wow! LOL! So much hate and disgust for a fictional character. I would hate to get on your bad side in real life. I don't understand how you can enjoy the show when Brennan is one of the main characters. To each their own I guess.
That was my thought exactly when I read the first post here. If you hate Bones, why are you watching the show? I really had no idea people hated her...that totally surprises me. Her social awkwardness and silly idiosyncrasies are the most unique part of the show, at least for me. I may not like everything she does, but her character is so diverse and unique, that's one of the main reasons I love the show. It's not the same boring characters you find in most of the tv shows around. But as you mentioned, bug, to each his own.
flyersfan35
flyersfan35
Experiment
Experiment

Number of posts : 68808
Say What You Want : Goodbye, dear ABY. You have been my home for 3 years now, and I am going to miss you. Thanks, willgirl, for creating this wonderful forum. *hugs to all*

Closing time - time for you to go back to the places you will be from.
Closing time - this room won't be open 'til your brothers or your sisters come.
So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits - I hope you have found a friend.
Closing time - every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:44 am

Bug, when I read what you'd said about the Brennan-hate, the first thing I thought about was drivers with Road Rage! Somebody wants to lash out and in this day and age it's not okay to go home and kick the dog or smack the kids, so ...

I keep writing and re-writing this paragraph. I just keep sounding like a shrink loco so I'll leave it there.

And Snoop! We all know you're crazy about Booth, but until now I had no idea how you felt about Brennan. I was startled. Wink
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by SwaggerHeart Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:53 am

I wasnt to keen on Booth sometimes in early days for some reason

for instance i think it was 1x03 and the squints went to wongfu again at the end and he was all annoyed about them being there and telling brennan to get away from his area... i didnt like it, i liked brennan more (which is weird because shes much ruder sometimes but it comes of more innocent on brennan for me oddly)

i dunnoh just when hes mean to the squints i get all defensive shoot

Probably because i loved zack so much and he was the main target...

Ive never been angry at brennan because it seems innocent, and y'know i think as much as i loved that end scene and i wouldnt want it to not be there i think booth should have listened to gordon gordon and not sweets about brennan ... in other words i watched stephen frys interview and agree with him Smile I love you

SwaggerHeart
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 31
Say What You Want : 2010!! But what is this decade called. we had the 20's 30's ... 0's but what is it now? ... teens?
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by MI_Bonesgirl Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:55 am

Can I just say I love the entire cast? Every single character. With the exception of some of the guest stars *cough*Hacker*cough*
MI_Bonesgirl
MI_Bonesgirl
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1147
Say What You Want : Onward and Upward, Season 6!!!
Registration date : 2010-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopGirl Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:07 am

bugaboo628 wrote:
SnoopGirl wrote:

I used to really enjoy the show, but not as much now. Brennan is only half of B&B, and since Booth is my favourite character, I continue to watch. I also like how Cam and Jack have progressed over the seasons. Emily is a great actress and I enjoy watching her, I just don't like many of the things her character does/says.

SnoopGirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopGirl Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:10 am

MI_Bonesgirl wrote:Can I just say I love the entire cast? Every single character. With the exception of some of the guest stars *cough*Hacker*cough*
That Oliver guy was creepier than the Janitor in Queen Bee! It was his eyes. Creepy. When I saw Hacker, I was like HUH? who was in charge of casting that day Rolling Eyes
Ryan O'Neal was PERFECT as Brennan's dad 2Tup

SnoopGirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by SnoopGirl Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:21 am

DBCrazy wrote:Bug, when I read what you'd said about the Brennan-hate, the first thing I thought about was drivers with Road Rage! Somebody wants to lash out and in this day and age it's not okay to go home and kick the dog or smack the kids, so ...

I keep writing and re-writing this paragraph. I just keep sounding like a shrink loco so I'll leave it there.

And Snoop! We all know you're crazy about Booth, but until now I had no idea how you felt about Brennan. I was startled. Wink
It wasn't until this season that I really started to dislike her. Annoying is the first word that comes to mind. How many times can a genius who is socially awkward say "I don't know what that means" and it be "funny" or whatever it is supposed to be. So for 4 Seasons she was good and overall her interactions with Booth were amazing but then Season 5 came along I started to dislike how her was being written. I am getting cranky in my "older age" Wink Wink

SnoopGirl
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next