Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dumb Bones Question

+10
DripPan
dawnsfire
jjrobinson73
heirofloki
THX1138
jcn747
DBCrazy
tinkrella
bugaboo628
CanadianBones
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dumb Bones Question Empty Dumb Bones Question

Post by CanadianBones Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:32 am

So this has been bugging me for a while now. Double Trouble in the Panhandle - doesn't the Panhandle refer to Florida(where it borders Alabama right)? And the circus was in Texas... so I'm not sure how the Panhandle fits into Texas. Is it referring to something else???

like I said dumb question...
CanadianBones
CanadianBones
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1266
Say What You Want : they shouldn't be doing that on the forensic platform. - brennan
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Dumb Bones Question Empty Re: Dumb Bones Question

Post by bugaboo628 Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:42 am

I got curious and had to look it up; there is a Texas panhandle as well. Who knew?

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
bugaboo628
bugaboo628
Administrator/Head Moderator

Number of posts : 1586
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkrella Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:26 am

i just watched that episode last night and i read the title and thought ohhh florida!!! it didn't even dawn on me that the episode took place in texas lol

tinkrella
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1190
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:42 am

Wow. I was born in the Texas panhandle and have heard it all my life. I never knew that it was unknown in other parts of the country.
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianBones Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:22 am

Hmm interesting! Thanks Bug!!
CanadianBones
CanadianBones
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Say What You Want : they shouldn't be doing that on the forensic platform. - brennan

Back to top Go down

Post by jcn747 Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:46 pm

DBCrazy wrote:Wow. I was born in the Texas panhandle and have heard it all my life. I never knew that it was unknown in other parts of the country.

Well i live down under (Australia) so i never had any idea what this meant, so thanks for the answer bug. :L

It is always funny when you talk to people from other countries, and you realise all the weird differences, and things that they don't know :L
jcn747
jcn747
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 370
Say What You Want : !!We are talking about translation!!
Burdens that allow us to fly
--
"It's not always rainbows and butterflies It's compromise that moves us along, my heart is full and my doors always open you come anytime you want "
♥ Maroon 5 ♥
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:29 am

bugaboo628 wrote:I got curious and had to look it up; there is a Texas panhandle as well. Who knew?

Um, all us Texans and Texan expatriates, plus the Texican wannabes in New Mexico, Loseranna, Arkansas and Oklahoma. Other than them folks, no one. Razz

cowboy RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:32 am

DBCrazy wrote:Wow. I was born in the Texas panhandle and have heard it all my life. I never knew that it was unknown in other parts of the country.
Hey cowgirl! No wonder we get on so well, we're both expats! I'm jealous though, you got the panhandle, I was born in Houston. No one wants to be from Houston, even the oilers left for Tennessee.

cowboy RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by heirofloki Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:48 am

I'm not from Texas. Never been there, in fact. Panhandle made sense to me... Maybe I was a Texan in another life?

I did not know that it also referred to Florida, though.

heirofloki
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1343
Say What You Want : "Alright. The apocalypse is approaching and the world is ending, and the riders are coming at full speed, but before that happens, I want to give you an apartment. Tell me which one!"
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:00 am

heirofloki wrote:I'm not from Texas. Never been there, in fact. Panhandle made sense to me... Maybe I was a Texan in another life?

I did not know that it also referred to Florida, though.
Could be, as we're fond of sayin' once a Texan, always a Texan. Maybe that carries over. Smile

cowboy RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by jjrobinson73 Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:20 am

I live in San Antonio. Guess since I have lived in Texas all my life..I knew it was the TX panhandle. Of course the DPS gave it away. LOL!! However...just to point out...they never came to TX to film. There is no hills in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. In San Antonio, yeah....DFW...no! LOL!! I had to shake my head. Maybe they ouht to scout out the terrain they are trying to say they are filming in.

Howdy to all the other Texan's out there....and the expat's!!!

Jenn
jjrobinson73
jjrobinson73
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianBones Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:37 am

Well they don't even shoot the show in DC so I didn't think they actually were in Texas either!! Wink
CanadianBones
CanadianBones
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:47 am

jjrobinson73 wrote:I live in San Antonio. Guess since I have lived in Texas all my life..I knew it was the TX panhandle. Of course the DPS gave it away. LOL!! However...just to point out...they never came to TX to film. There is no hills in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. In San Antonio, yeah....DFW...no! LOL!! I had to shake my head. Maybe they ouht to scout out the terrain they are trying to say they are filming in.

Howdy to all the other Texan's out there....and the expat's!!!

Jenn
Yeah, East Texas and the Gulf coast are about as flat as you can get...oh, and just for you:

cowboy RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:48 pm

THX1138 wrote:
bugaboo628 wrote:I got curious and had to look it up; there is a Texas panhandle as well. Who knew?

Um, all us Texans and Texan expatriates, plus the Texican wannabes in New Mexico, Loseranna, Arkansas and Oklahoma. Other than them folks, no one. Razz

cowboy RM
And a few well-read souls in the North...though I may have passed through the Texas panhandle when I was but a wee lass of 4 or so.

I have to admit the Florida one is the 1st one I think of, but I did know there were 2--actually, what do they call that part of Oklahoma, you know, the long skinny piece?

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:54 pm

dawnsfire wrote:
THX1138 wrote:

cowboy RM
And a few well-read souls in the North...though I may have passed through the Texas panhandle when I was but a wee lass of 4 or so.

I have to admit the Florida one is the 1st one I think of, but I did know there were 2--actually, what do they call that part of Oklahoma, you know, the long skinny piece?

queen
I'm gonna assume it's the panhandle too - but then you never quite know with Okies. They probably call it the sticking outtie thing.

And yes, of course my Queen the more erudite northerners such as yourself are assumed to know such things. We would have it no other way.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:01 pm

Feels like ol' home week in this thread tonight! Cowboys, fellow Texans and Charley Pride.

Listening to that song reminded me of a bitter cold evening when I was a kid out at the stables, standing around a 50-gal fire barrel with half a dozen others trying to stay warm. One of the ladies showed up in a shimmery long gown and heels, all gussied up in make-up, pearls and a mink coat. After everybody put their eyeballs back in their sockets we asked where she was headed. She proudly announced that she was headed out to see Charley Pride. It was all hoops and hollers all 'round!

And Dawn, I've heard folks refer to that stickie outie Okie thingie as the panhandle too. I am partial to the Texas one though since it's the state that most closely resembles a frying pan IMO.

Rob, Houston ain't so bad, but everytime I hear The Yellow Rose of Texas I do feel special.

Hey Jenn, when was the last time you watched the bats head out??
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:29 pm

DBCrazy wrote:Feels like ol' home week in this thread tonight! Cowboys, fellow Texans and Charley Pride.

Listening to that song reminded me of a bitter cold evening when I was a kid out at the stables, standing around a 50-gal fire barrel with half a dozen others trying to stay warm. One of the ladies showed up in a shimmery long gown and heels, all gussied up in make-up, pearls and a mink coat. After everybody put their eyeballs back in their sockets we asked where she was headed. She proudly announced that she was headed out to see Charley Pride. It was all hoops and hollers all 'round!

And Dawn, I've heard folks refer to that stickie outie Okie thingie as the panhandle too. I am partial to the Texas one though since it's the state that most closely resembles a frying pan IMO.

Rob, Houston ain't so bad, but everytime I hear The Yellow Rose of Texas I do feel special.

Hey Jenn, when was the last time you watched the bats head out??
Lordy, now you talking about standing around the burn barrel trying to get warm has me thinking of bein' a kid back when we worked the farm. We had a field kitchen a good quarter mile from the house, in the winter time, when it got real cold (10 or below) we'd bring the cattle up because the working corral was in the lee of the hay barn and the machine shed so it was blocked from the north and west. That way they'd have a place out of the wind, easy access to food and a heated water tank. Problem was it'd take two, sometimes three hours to get those contrary buggers up from the back pasture to the lot. When we were done we were always half frost bit, but in the field kitchen Mom would have the old wood cookstove going and she'd make chicken wings, bacon wrapped smokies, fresh onion rings, garlic bread, some chili or soup, and while we're eating all that and drinking ice cold soda (or beer), the old 8-track would be blasting out Charlie Pride, Hank Jr, Bobby Bear...Good times my friend, good times.

cowboy RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:44 pm

lol! Bobby Bare does some crazy songs but I hadn't ever heard of that one.

Here's one for those southerners in the swamps of Louisiana...another state known by its shape, The Boot.

DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:57 pm

THX1138 wrote:I'm gonna assume it's the panhandle too - but then you never quite know with Okies. They probably call it the sticking outtie thing.

And yes, of course my Queen the more erudite northerners such as yourself are assumed to know such things. We would have it no other way.

king RM
I can't quite let you malign Oklahoma, my King--after all, one of my favorite authors lives outside Tulsa, and my 2x gr-grandfather founded a college that still exists in Muskogee! 'Course I can't speak for the rest of the state... Wink

DBCrazy wrote:And Dawn, I've heard folks refer to that stickie outie Okie thingie as the panhandle too. I am partial to the Texas one though since it's the state that most closely resembles a frying pan IMO.
So there are three, then. It does occur to me the panhandle reference could be for OK, since the sheriffs were arguing over which state the body was in. But I think your personal bias is running away with you, since I would have to disagree about the shape of TX--I think OK looks more like a frying pan than TX! Fine, not a very big one, but still.

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:16 pm

Ok, I'm used to staring at a frying pan from the top and not the side, I guess. I'll let you have that one if you like.

I forgot to mention above, Rob, your story sounds like some terribly hard work. It sounds like your mom did her part to keep you warmed up as best she could though. I, on the other hand, went riding all the time but it was mostly just for pleasure. I did have a cutting horse though and when it was time to change pastures she was always the star of the day. The fire barrel was everybody's favorite spot in the winter -- good times there!

(I just heard Eliot Spencer from Leverage (Christian Kane) tell a woman in the sting about his ranch in Texas!)
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:19 pm

dawnsfire wrote:
THX1138 wrote:I'm gonna assume it's the panhandle too - but then you never quite know with Okies. They probably call it the sticking outtie thing.

king RM
I can't quite let you malign Oklahoma, my King--after all, one of my favorite authors lives outside Tulsa, and my 2x gr-grandfather founded a college that still exists in Muskogee! 'Course I can't speak for the rest of the state... Wink
In deferrence to your majesty we shall grant exception to whatever parts of that questionable region thou wish, and will profess them to be as near heaven as anything outside Texas can be. That said, the rest of the state is woefully lacking and there are some spawned there, one certain football coach lurks in the recesses of our mind, whom taint the very Earth by their existence.

DBCrazy wrote:Ok, I'm used to staring at a frying pan from the top and not the side, I guess. I'll let you have that one if you like.
I've always looked at OK and seen a Butcher's cleaver. Then again none of the three handle bearing states looks much like a pan to me.

I forgot to mention above, Rob, your story sounds like some terribly hard work. It sounds like your mom did her part to keep you warmed up as best she could though. I, on the other hand, went riding all the time but it was mostly just for pleasure. I did have a cutting horse though and when it was time to change pastures she was always the star of the day. The fire barrel was everybody's favorite spot in the winter -- good times there!
It was hard work, we had horses but usually took the quad runners out to the back. Walking the cattle up was time consuming and we'd have to dismount so you could walk the creek beds and draws for stragglers. The old lady sure did work her tuckus off though, and we were genuinely appreciative. Used to hate it when the weather was too nice because we'd eat in the house instead. Very Happy

(I just heard Eliot Spencer from Leverage (Christian Kane) tell a woman in the sting about his ranch in Texas!)
Hey! I was watching that too! Good show.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by DripPan Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:30 pm

Vincent Nigel-Murray here with a little known fact:

There are four (4) states with panhandles: Florida, Oklahoma, Texas and Virginia. The two most noticeable are Florida and Oklahoma with the long slender look we expect from a pan handle.

Drippy

DripPan
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 95
Say What You Want : What you want.
Registration date : 2010-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by jcn747 Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:46 pm

So is everyone from America and stuff??
jcn747
jcn747
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 370
Say What You Want : !!We are talking about translation!!
Burdens that allow us to fly
--
"It's not always rainbows and butterflies It's compromise that moves us along, my heart is full and my doors always open you come anytime you want "
♥ Maroon 5 ♥
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ddc Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:39 am

DripPan wrote:Vincent Nigel-Murray here with a little known fact:

There are four (4) states with panhandles: Florida, Oklahoma, Texas and Virginia. The two most noticeable are Florida and Oklahoma with the long slender look we expect from a pan handle.

Drippy

Actually its West Virginia and Maryland, where they meet.

As for the episode I believe the circus was in Texas but the panhandle where the twins were burried refers to both Texas & Oklahoma; the Oklahoma panhandle extends west over the top of the Texas panhandle. My schools included a lot of geography, as a separate subject as well as an integral part of history classes. Not sure if I could still do it but I used to be able to draw a fairly accurate freehand US map with all the states.

ddc

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jjrobinson73 Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:43 am

Rob...LMAO!!! Thanks!!

DBCray....I haven't seen any bats yet. But, I live out on the NW side...close to the AF Base. (with out giving to much of my location away!) I did see them when I was little.

I have to say though...I was born and raised in SE Texas...where all the REAL Cajuns are...we (Real Cajuns) left Loseranna a while back and migrated to SE Texas. So, I have to say...I agree with DBCrazy. LOL!!! But, I am loving living here in San Antone!! The Tex Mex....MMMHMMM!! (I am going to get some for lunch today!)

So, according to Mr. Nigel-Murray aka Drippy...VA has apan handle too.

Oh...and I do like Rob's explination of the Okies thingee. Makes total sense to me. Of course my Okie friend would have to disagree. And, I also hope we weren't talking Barry Switzer. ICK!! While he might have gotten the Boyz to a superbowl...he was still riding Johnson's coat tails!!

Jenn.
jjrobinson73
jjrobinson73
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down