Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can 'Bones' Writers Pull It Off?

+6
lance2376
bones206
joybrennan
Meegs82
heirofloki
bugaboo628
10 posters

:: News

Go down

Can 'Bones' Writers Pull It Off? Empty Can 'Bones' Writers Pull It Off?

Post by bugaboo628 Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:34 pm

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
bugaboo628
bugaboo628
Administrator/Head Moderator

Number of posts : 1586
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Can 'Bones' Writers Pull It Off? Empty Re: Can 'Bones' Writers Pull It Off?

Post by heirofloki Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:58 am

Wow. I...wow. I do actually have a more coherent opinion, but I don't want to sound bitchy. Suffice it to say, I couldn't disagree more (with the author) if I tried.

Thanks for sharing, of course, Bug!

heirofloki
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1343
Say What You Want : "Alright. The apocalypse is approaching and the world is ending, and the riders are coming at full speed, but before that happens, I want to give you an apartment. Tell me which one!"
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:43 am

I am going to finally admit it: I think Bones should go 1 more season and that's it. Maybe 2, but that's pushing it. I have just lost confidence in the writing of this show, probably 'cuz I've been watching Fringe so much lately and I realize how much more superior it is to Bones from a writing standpoint. I could ramble on and on, but I won't. I'll just say that all of this teasing can't go on for much longer, so the writers are going to have to come up with something HUGE to pull this show out of its corner.
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4106
Say What You Want : Dancing Phalanges! Dancing Phalanges!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by heirofloki Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:01 am

I agree that the show should only go into another season or two, but I was still incensed by her points, you know? Her whole view about relationships in tv shows and the expectations of the audience - I think a lot of what's wrong with the content on tv networks is brought-on by that kind of thinking. It's everything that keeps shows in a rut (and makes cable so freaking refreshing). Then again, here we're entering the muddy territory of what HH addressed in that conference (good shows vs. entertaining shows) and well...it's muddy territory. Like, you say Fringe, and I say, Hellz to the Yeah, baby! But they're also in permanent danger of getting canceled, so... *shrug*

It's muuuudddy, I tell you. Razz

heirofloki
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1343
Say What You Want : "Alright. The apocalypse is approaching and the world is ending, and the riders are coming at full speed, but before that happens, I want to give you an apartment. Tell me which one!"
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Can 'Bones' Writers Pull It Off? Empty I am so TIRED of the "Moonlighting" excuse! :x

Post by joybrennan Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:16 pm

Has ANYONE looked at the X-files ratings!!! As they built the relationship their ratings went up…until season five. The relationship between Mulder and Scully had been building up to a fever-pitch, but nothing happened. People were annoyed, in part because it was originally supposed to be the last season. Then they did the movie after season 5, as a continuation of 5’s finale. The movie implied that the two were FINALLY dealing with their romantic feelings, so people tuned in for season six. The difference in ratings between 5 and 6 was 1% – with the lowest per show average since season 2. Six was a COMPLETE holding pattern, keeping the two apart, and acting like the film never happened. Season seven: the show drops from #12 to number #29. Even David Duchovny was bored and opt’s out of having to do most of season’s 8 & 9. Season 8 – #31. Season 9 #67. Why is it no one sees the obvious with that? They look for EVERY OTHER REASON that the rating declined. The fans were BORED because the relationship didn’t move and became unrealistic and ridiculous. Yet, MOONLIGHTING is still held as the standard of “see what happens when you put people together?” It’s ridiculous. Really, what it’s about is are the characters growing or not. It's as if once characters get together people think there's no more room for growth - which is ridiculous. Chris Carter didn't want the characters together, so he STALLED the relationship and started doing comedy stand-alone episodes, and hoped no one noticed the proverbial "pink elephant in the room." It WAS BORING. There was NO GROWTH happening. Maybe if he had allowed the characters he created to go where they were heading, he would have been able to get clarity on his mythology - but I digress. When writers plateau the relationship they've been building in a series, or worse, inexplicably move them backwards, THEY ARE GOING TO LOSE THE AUDIENCE. Yeah, it means having to think differently. Like, just because people get together, doesn’t mean they don’t have sexual tension. The fact that it can be resolved doesn’t change the fact of it when it’s happening. Mix sexual tension with the tension and stresses of being in a relationship and you’ve got really explosive possibilities. Being in a relationship, with great cases, and mystery, finding out more about each others history, basically EXPANDING on who these people are, would be great television.
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1532
Say What You Want : I like to see the roller-coaster before I get on it. I mean, how many loops are we talking here?
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bones206 Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Well, um.... I disagree with you X-Files reasoning...

I think Mulder and Scully's relationship flourished in the later seasons. They finally "got together" in Existence (I think it was) and they had a baby together. So, I don't think ratings went down because of "no MSR" (MSR: Mulder Scully Relationship). Ratings went down in season's 8-9 because Mulder left. Mulder was and always will be the X-Files, not Scully, not Doggett, not Reyes, def. not Spender. So when DD quit, Mulder quit, thereby having no X-Files, just 2 other agents pretending to be Mulder and Scully.

The ratings went down because The X-Files stopped being The X-Files.
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2057
Say What You Want : I want to go ride my horse. I love my horse. I want to watch the new episodes of Bones. I want to talk to my friends about Bones. But, most of friends don't watch Bones. Sad
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by bones206 Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:40 pm

Although, I do agree with you about this whole part: "Mix sexual tension with the tension and stresses of being in a relationship and you’ve got really explosive possibilities. Being in a relationship, with great cases, and mystery, finding out more about each others history, basically EXPANDING on who these people are, would be great television."

That really would be great television! Smile
bones206
bones206
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2057
Say What You Want : I want to go ride my horse. I love my horse. I want to watch the new episodes of Bones. I want to talk to my friends about Bones. But, most of friends don't watch Bones. Sad
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by joybrennan Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:25 pm

"The X-files stopped being the X-files." Exactly! They dropped the ball in season six and didn't pick it up again until the END of seven. Or at least they tried to. Season six, they were rated #12, season seven 29 - a MAJOR drop. By the time someone figured out that they'd better deal with the relationship stuff - cuz the other stuff was NOT holding the audience, they'd already lost the window of opportunity. Duchvony knew he was leaving a sinking ship. The X-files WASN'T the X-files, BEFORE he left; in part because they tried to NOT let the characters grow and change in the direction they'd built for five years. Like humpty-dumpty, all the king's horses and all the king's men, couldn't put humpty together again. This happens alot. Networks are afraid of "losing the magic" and try to hold the characters in a place that no longer makes sense. Then, when they see the ratings slipping, they throw the characters together, not realizing they've already broken the the thing that was so "magical." Then, when the ratings continue to go down, they say it's the "Moonlighting" thing. GRRRRR!
joybrennan
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1532
Say What You Want : I like to see the roller-coaster before I get on it. I mean, how many loops are we talking here?
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by lance2376 Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:11 pm

Well after reading the article and the opinions here I just gotta say I refuse to let myself being reduced to the viewer that "only" watches because of will they or won't they get together. Don't get me wrong I do want them to kiss and get together but I am not going to make the whole show all about that. I love the show, I love ALL the characters, I love seeing them solve cases. True, not every episode is a hit with me but that doesn't stop me from sitting here and waiting for the next episode to see where it takes me. To see which intern we get and what little story will be told about him or her.

True, the teasing can be annoying and yes, I'd like to see them follow through on it at one point or another. Will I stop watching if they don't? Nah, not on your life. I am too entertained by the show as a whole. Smile
lance2376
lance2376
Squint
Squint

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-01-14

http://lance2376.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bones_fanatic19 Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:23 pm

Just read the article and I totally disagree with the author. For one I think if they did what this author suggested and go back to when it was all case orientated, they would loose more viewers, because it would seem as if all this teasing and will-they-won't-they was a complete waste of time. Also if they drag on this thing too long, the people who only watch it for the BB relationship, will begin switching off because we will be seeing the same material over and over again.

Luckily I love all the characters and would continue to watch if they were together or not together, because I still love seeing the character interactions and the different cases we are shown every week Very Happy
bones_fanatic19
bones_fanatic19
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1112
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by 192630 Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:39 am

I agree that the show should only go 1 at most 2 more seasons. The writing is not as good as S1 thru S3. I really think they should at least try and put B&B together because I think it could work. Those 2 are so good together. Five years of 'with they or won't they' is getting old. I am getting tired of it.

Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonlightGardenias Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:05 pm

The thing is I don't want HH and Co to be so utterly scared of actually putting BB together so we don't see them that way until the end. Also, if we really are going to only have six seasons, I think they should know ahead of time, at the start of the season or something so they can work out an appropriate ending, and not do what Gilmore Girls for example had to do by rushing to tie up loose ends. I know that this is Fox and so that's a lot to ask for but I don't think it's that hard.

Also, I know it's too much to ask as well, but I don't see what the problem is to actually have them in a relationship rather than just...holding off. There are so many possibilities for drama and issues they can overcome while they're together.
MoonlightGardenias
MoonlightGardenias
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1092
Say What You Want : Everything happens eventually...
Registration date : 2009-01-25

http://www.fanfiction.net/~moonlightgardenias

Back to top Go down

Post by 192630 Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:25 am

I thought the last year's finale actually showed how hot B&B could be as a married couple. It's a gamble, yes, but why not.

Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by olivia Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:09 am

192630 wrote:I agree that the show should only go 1 at most 2 more seasons. The writing is not as good as S1 thru S3. I really think they should at least try and put B&B together because I think it could work. Those 2 are so good together. Five years of 'with they or won't they' is getting old. I am getting tired of it.

I agree- i am a big fan of the "quiting while you are ahead" theory. Bones really should go out on top. I bet we call come up with lists and lists of shows that overstayed their welcome *cough* X-files *cough*. I am not suggesting Bones go off the air today , I am just suggesting that they keep in mind how bad things can get...

And I really like the above idea of have B and B marry in the season finale and then spend next seaon figuriung out how that works.

olivia
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 271
Say What You Want : Where's the Buck Moosejaw I married?
Registration date : 2009-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Meegs82 Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:41 pm

We should have a petition called "We Don't Want Bones To Turn Into The X-Files." 'Cuz as much as I loved The X-Files, I agree with all of you: it completely and totally overstayed its welcome and was dragged on and on and on for really no reason. 7 seasons for Bones would be perfect and knowing towards the end of S6 that they will be ending at S7 would be ideal so that they can plan for it. When it's planned for, it can be brilliant (BSG anyone?), but when networks just go by the ratings instead of paying attention to the core of the show, it ends up getting messy (Dollhouse, X-Files, Friends anyone?). Having to tie up loose ends is never a good way for a show to go out.

Sadly, I think Bones has the potential to turn into one of those shows that gets dragged out. Fox won't cancel it ANY time soon with the viewers it's bringing in, so I can see the writers just continuing to write mediocre episodes to fulfill the contract. We can only hope that Hart will be smarter than this.
Meegs82
Meegs82
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 4106
Say What You Want : Dancing Phalanges! Dancing Phalanges!
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: News

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum