Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Identifying the Elephant (Rated T, B/B)

2 posters

Go down

Identifying the Elephant (Rated T, B/B) Empty Identifying the Elephant (Rated T, B/B)

Post by missnyah Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:32 pm

My first post on this forum. Thanks for giving my story a look, Nyah

Character(s): Angela, Sweets, Booth/Brennan
Words: 553
Genre: Angst/Romance
Rating: T
Summary: "Sometimes I think they must be going at it every time we turn our backs." Angela and Sweets identify the elephant in the room. Booth/Brennan.

Identifying the Elephant

“Sometimes I think they must be going at it every time we turn our backs.”

Booth and Brennan are on on the ground floor. They're arguing over something. Again. Punctuating their points with hands that don't really need to touch but do anyway. By now, even their arguments are just excuses.

Above, the artist and the analyst watch, unnoticed because, as always, the agent and the doctor are too busy watching each other.

“You really think...?” Sweets responds, excited even if it means he's missed it all along.

“No,” Angela says with finality. “They don't see it. It's too big. It's like that proverb about a bunch of blind people trying to identify an elephant when each one can only touch a square foot of the thing.”

He's confused and a little disturbed. He's young yet. “But they know each other so well,” he argues. “They should be able to figure it out.” He knows the proverb.

But Angela's never lived her life on someone else's wisdom. “We're the blind people,” she says, clarifying nothing. “Me and you, Cam, Hodgins …. You've gotta have blind spots to do what we do, to be the best at one thing. Dirt or flesh or faces.” You can have that superhuman sense of touch if you're willing to accept the blind spots.

She's smiling and it takes him, the brain, the prodigy, a while to catch on. “So you're saying, we're the blind people and even we know it's an elephant.” Even we know it's love. “So what's wrong with them?” He's not supposed to say wrong but even he is feeling the weight of the elephant in the room.

“Nothing,” Angela says, shaking her head and he knows she's not really blind, she just pretends at it sometimes so they'll trust her. “We put the pieces together from out here, without seeing the whole picture, sure. But think how much harder that would be to do from inside the elephant.”

Unlike the rest of the squints, Sweets can do metaphor. It took him the time and space of a book, an elephant, to put love together for them. How much bigger must it seem from the inside? “I hope they figure it out anyway.” It's true, he's hoped that for a long time now. They all have. “Soon.”

But Angela's never been blind. She sees faces on skulls. She sees the best in the worst. She sees to the other side of things. And on the back of hope, there is always fear, one defining the other. She shrugs. She's been there and back. “Well, inside an elephant it's scary and dark and it doesn't mean a damn thing because even when you know what it is, you're still inside an elephant.”

“That sucks.” Sweets says, suddenly exposed before the one person who can see.

“Yeah. It does,” she agrees with an unfaltering smile. “Until you decide it's right where you want to be.”

missnyah

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-15

Back to top Go down

Identifying the Elephant (Rated T, B/B) Empty Re: Identifying the Elephant (Rated T, B/B)

Post by DBCrazy Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:38 am

missnyah,

Thanks for the post. But ummm, I'm feeling like a squint right now. I'm gonna have to get a little distance on this one, so I can SEE. I'll digest this and be back later to try again.

Don't laugh at me! Rolling Eyes I'm just a little slow... I'll get it though. I will!

DBC
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Identifying the Elephant (Rated T, B/B) Empty Re: Identifying the Elephant (Rated T, B/B)

Post by DBCrazy Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:39 am

Okay, so I'm dense! I still can't figure it out. But you do have some wonderful lines in here...
“We're the blind people,” she says, clarifying nothing.
And on the back of hope, there is always fear, one defining the other.
Thanks for posting. I look forward to more!

One question for you...I see that your comment is signed "Nyah". Is your name the idea of "Miss Nyah" or like I thought first, like "missin' ya"?

Oh, btw Welcome to theABY!!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down