Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tarot--a Vignette

4 posters

Go down

Tarot--a Vignette Empty Tarot--a Vignette

Post by dawnsfire Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:27 pm

Yes, this is based off the spoilers and stills for Harbingers in the Fountain. If you've managed to avoid them thus far, please come back after the 17th and tell me how wrong I was (or maybe how right! Can't be wrong all the time Smile ).

All that said, I do not own the characters. All references to the Tarot come from websites and reference books, so there are undoubtedly huge liberties taken there, too.
queen

Brennan frowned at her computer screen, agitated on so many levels. Booth wasn’t himself, Caroline was interfering with the investigation, a psychic was telling them where to find dead bodies, and the same woman was not only right, but had insinuated herself into the case. She didn’t care that Angela thought so highly of the woman--and who calls themselves Avalon Harmonia, anyway?

And why was she spending her evening looking up Tarot cards? It’s all superstition, she reminded herself, but kept reading. It was turning into a fascinating examination of a cultural subset she had never come into contact with before, that was why. Or so she told herself.

“You are the Queen of Cups,” the woman had said, tapping the card authoritatively. “A water card, a powerful woman, one who, by her deeds, can cause dreams of all kinds to come true. I’m not talking about animated clichés. You fight for justice and give identity to the lost and thereby fulfill a desire, a need, or an ideal, if you prefer.”

A reluctant smile crossed her lips. She actually liked that description. And this website’s deck--not the same one used earlier--the drawing bore a certain vague resemblance to herself. In coloration at least.

“Reinforced by the Knight of Swords. You don’t back down from much, do you, Temperance? The courage of your convictions, if you will. But it borders on the rash at times.”

Brennan rolled her eyes; she couldn’t help it. She supposed she was impetuous once in a while, but all in a good cause. Not that Booth usually agreed--! The thought of him wiped the smile from her face as it brought back her concerns. She had tried not to let it show, but the lack of his gaudy accessories had distressed her, and the fact he wasn’t aware that there was something wrong disturbed her even more. He was harder to read now, so she had no idea if he had picked up her emotional state. It was their first year of working together all over again, she thought with a sigh before typing in the name of the next card. If less--combative.

“Another Cup--the Two. Cups are usually a good thing. They’re feminine, indicators of creativity, and symbolize the bearing of the life-force. That is not always to be taken literally,” she added, holding up a hand as Brennan began to protest. “Writers and artists as well as mothers, inventors, and nurturers share this suit. Now, the Two-- it’s a sign of news or something positive coming in love and friendship. Sometimes an actual change, sometimes just the promise of better times.”

Brennan clicked on the link for the Two of Cups and one phrase jumped out at her: “Heart rather than head rules.” She swallowed hard, remembering what Booth had said to her about head and heart. What about the other cards?

“It’s surrounded by several interesting cards. The Chariot, the Ace of Pentangles, and the Hanged Man. Unusual to see these clustered together. The Ace could be an indication of your own position in the world--you are at the top of a demanding field, you write best-sellers. In short, you strive and usually succeed at being the best. But being near the Two, it can also indicate the beginning of a romantic relationship, and one in which, once you are committed to it, you will work hard at making it work as well as the rest.”

That seemed to be a rather unique interpretation based on what she was reading here, Brennan decided, wondering exactly how much Angela had told Avalon. Most references to that card were more materially successful, reflecting the coin in the image.

“The Chariot, now--that’s a strange one. By itself, it can be an indicator of a strong mind, a strong will, but also a reminder that ‘all work and no play make Jack a dull boy.’ Or Jill a dull girl, as the case may be. But in close proximity to the Two…there is also a more literal meaning. Traveling with love; or to put it in more prosaic terms, carpooling with the beloved.”

Angela had choked on laughter at that. “Oh, you have no idea,” she murmured.

Brennan glared at her. “Can we get on with this? I have things to do at the lab; Booth needs to know about the test results…”

Now, she flushed, realizing the unfortunate juxtaposition. So what else about the Chariot, anyway? “Referring to Man’s mind as his only weapon for survival.” “Union of opposites.” Coincidence, she thought and resolutely moved on the next card.

“The Hanged Man--this card is often misinterpreted. It’s…subtle, something I sense you are not. This is not torture; he is unbound; in some decks he even smiles a little. If there is any bondage, it is easily escaped. The most common interpretation is that there is some sort of hanging in limbo, the querant is suspended between things--events, decisions, feelings, even. A sign that it’s time to change your perspective, shake things up.”

She wondered how anyone could believe in this--it was all so contradictory. Progression and suspension, sacrifice and transformation, waiting periods and change, all were supposed to be meanings for the Hanged Man. She clicked out of the last website, not bothering to check the last few cards. If Angela wanted to believe in this, that was her prerogative, but Brennan wasn’t going to waste any more time on it. She picked up her bag and shut everything off, resolutely not thinking of the final words from the reading.

“Frankly, Temperance, this is a remarkably layout. I rarely see one that has such a, well, romantic, aspect, and I can tell you dislike that. But that is what I see here. There is more than that, of course, I can see pieces of you, your life, your work, just as I should. But almost every card has a meaning that circles back to relationships, especially romantic ones. The Lovers card at the end simply reinforces that.” She leaned back, sunlight glinting off the rings she wore. “You have a strong, possibly even an unrealized psychic, connection with someone, probably a coworker. Someone you see on a regular, even daily, basis at any rate. That would account for the opposing impressions of familiarity and newness that I’m picking up. You need to open your eyes to the possibilities.”
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Tarot--a Vignette Empty Re: Tarot--a Vignette

Post by THX1138 Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:19 pm

I loved this, and though I'm leery of the incorporation of supernatural elements into the show (Parker the friendly ghost did not rate highly on my list last season) I love how you handled it here. BTW "...You need to open your eyes to the possibilities.” Would someone just tattoo that on the inside of Brennan's eyelids until she gets a freakin' clue? Thank you.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by jagglebells Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:01 am

THX1138 wrote:I loved this, and though I'm leery of the incorporation of supernatural elements into the show (Parker the friendly ghost did not rate highly on my list last season) I love how you handled it here. BTW "...You need to open your eyes to the possibilities.” Would someone just tattoo that on the inside of Brennan's eyelids until she gets a freakin' clue? Thank you.

king RM

In all honesty, I think she has a clue. I think that she's the one that Gordon Gordon was talking about when he said that one of them was aware of the attraction and struggles with it daily. I think it's Brennan. I think it's her because what she feels for Booth isn't something that makes sense to her. To her it's not logical or rational.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Who knows. This was a good interpretation of what I've read in the spoilers. I wouldn't be opposed if you continued Very Happy

jagglebells
Doctor
Doctor

Number of posts : 600
Say What You Want : I'm bored.
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:33 am

jagglebells wrote:In all honesty, I think she has a clue. I think that she's the one that Gordon Gordon was talking about when he said that one of them was aware of the attraction and struggles with it daily. I think it's Brennan. I think it's her because what she feels for Booth isn't something that makes sense to her. To her it's not logical or rational.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Who knows. This was a good interpretation of what I've read in the spoilers. I wouldn't be opposed if you continued Very Happy
I can agree with that interpretation though, that she struggles with it because it's something that doesn't make sense to her. My own thoughts are that she dismisses the possibility that what she's feeling is love simply because what she has with him already is the most significant and rewarding relationship she's ever had with a man and she's terrified of trying for anything more because she's convinced she won't be enough, she can't be what he needs, what he deserves, so she closes herself off from the idea of being in love with him.

In any event I truly believe Booth knows his feelings for Brennan and has accepted them, but he's just refused to vocalize them because doing so means he can't ever put the genie back in the bottle. I know, I've been there. You can think about it, dream about it, fantasize about it, make it the central point of every steamy dream you've ever had but as long as you don't say the words it isn't real. As long as you don't say the words you can convince yourself that it's just a thing, a harmless infatuation, and you can go on being friends and never risk losing that one part of her no one else gets to see. Like I said, I've been there.

king RM

All men, no matter how brave or bold, are cowards when faced with their heart's desire. Hence the need for alcohol.
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:00 am

My original angle (should I even be saying this?) was actually that some of Brennan's discomfort with the reading was that she knew how she felt about Booth, and how could this--this--woman--know since she hadn't said anything to anyone about it?
I just couldn't quite make it work, in part because of the promos where she seems shocked when Booth says those magic words and then immediately qualifies it. (idiot...) So I cut it. But now that I'm witing this, I can almost see making another chapter. We'll see! Smile

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by annd28 Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:27 pm

I'm typing on my phone so I really can't get into full detail because it's an intresting co versation but at any rate I enjoyed this story so very much. You write very well I do hope you will continue.

Ann

annd28
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 163
Say What You Want : So much to say so little time to say it.
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum