Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More than 100 TV writers protest Emmy changes

5 posters

:: News

Go down

More than 100 TV writers protest Emmy changes Empty More than 100 TV writers protest Emmy changes

Post by DBCrazy Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:39 pm

I've tried to copy and paste a bit of the article here, but it won't let me. You'll have to go take a look for yourself. Hart Hanson and Stephen Nathan of Bones are among those that have signed the protest.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

More than 100 TV writers protest Emmy changes Empty Re: More than 100 TV writers protest Emmy changes

Post by i_heart_bones Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:45 pm

Just so they can save 15 minutes?? what douches....
i_heart_bones
i_heart_bones
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 6090
Say What You Want : WWDBD?
Twitter.com/IndiaGreen
Registration date : 2008-11-29

http://shortlybeforemidnight.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

More than 100 TV writers protest Emmy changes Empty Re: More than 100 TV writers protest Emmy changes

Post by THX1138 Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:23 am

I was able to get it to paste, here's the article:

August 03, 2009
UPDATED: More than 100 current TV writers are protesting the TV Academy's announced changes to its primetime telecast format this year.

Top showrunners such as John Wells ("Southland"), Ron Moore ("Battlestar Galactica"), Victor Fresco ("Better Off Ted"), Ed Bernero ("Criminal Minds"), Carol Mendelsohn ("CSI"), Clyde Phillips ("Dexter"), Doug Ellin ("Entourage"), Seth MacFarlane ("Family Guy"), Jason Katims ("Friday Night Lights"), Shonda Rhimes ("Grey's Anatomy"), David Shore ("House"), Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse ("Lost") and others have signed a statement opposing shifting two TV writing categories out of the live Emmy telecast (writing for a dramatic series and writing for a movie/miniseries).

The TV Academy announced changes to the show's format Thursday in an attempt to make the program more expedient by time-shifting eight of the 28 categories out of the live telecast. The moves will cut about 15 minutes from the three-hour program.

"Our job is to make an entertaining show that appeals to the maximum number of people but, most importantly, maintains the integrity of the Emmy brand," executive producer Don Mischer said at a teleconference last week.

Though the axed categories were split among directing, writing, acting and producing, writers point out that there were only four writing categories in the primetime telecast to begin with.

The news comes as CBS presents its press tour lineup in Pasadena today, which includes a TV Academy panel to talk about this year's Emmys.

"I don't think we're being unfair to the creative community," said CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler when asked about the issue Monday. "I think coming out of the telecast last year everybody knew we had to make a change and change is not easy. Even with the time shift, which is done in a very respectful way, it will have no impact on the integrity of the program. If ratings are up, more people are going to be watching the shows."

Here's the protest letter signed by more than 100 TV writers:

"We, the undersigned showrunners and executive producers of television's current line-up of programs, oppose the Academy of Television Arts and Science's decision to remove writing awards from the live telecast. This decision conveys a fundamental understatement of the importance of writers in the creation of television programming and a symbolic attack on the primacy of writing in our industry. We implore ATAS to restore these awards to their rightful place in the live telecast of the 2009 Emmy Awards."

On Friday, the WGA issued a strongly worded statement of its own:

"This action of the board of governors is a clear violation of a longstanding agreement the Writers Guilds have with the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences regarding their awards telecast. It is also a serious demotion for writing and a fundamental misunderstanding of the importance of writers in the creation of television programs. Last year's Emmys suffered a tremendous decline in quality and ratings because of a lack of scripted material. That the Academy would then decide to devalue the primary and seminal role that writing plays in television is ridiculous and self-defeating."

*_*_*_*_*_*_*

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:37 am

DBCrazy wrote:More than 100 TV writers protest Emmy changes

I've tried to copy and paste a bit of the article here, but it won't let me. You'll have to go take a look for yourself. Hart Hanson and Stephen Nathan of Bones are among those that have signed the protest.

I don't know what this means....
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Number of posts : 5921
Say What You Want : There's a wild wild wind calling out my name, like a long lost friend, and there's nothing sweeter than American honey<3
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCrazy Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 pm

RGPageantqueen wrote:
DBCrazy wrote:More than 100 TV writers protest Emmy changes

I don't know what this means....
Ella, if what I wrote is confusing you, all I'm saying is that I can't do a copy & paste. Robert did get it though and he has it up there in its entirety.

If it's the article that has you confused, all they're saying is that they took writers out of the broadcast, and they're protesting it.
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:04 am

No i was talking in regards to article, like what does it mean. IE dumb it down for the idiots... me.
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Say What You Want : There's a wild wild wind calling out my name, like a long lost friend, and there's nothing sweeter than American honey<3

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:37 am

Basically the writers are pissed because the Emmy committee cut out 15 minutes form the broadcast portion of the awards and the people losing out are the writers. Since the writers have egos like everyone else they're up in arms over the whole thing saying it violates some principle and how it belittles them and casts the role of the writer and show runner as being less important, etc, etc. I think that's about it.

Oh, and El? Don't let me ever catch you calling yourself an idiot. You're anything but and you should know that. If you don't well then just take my word for it sweetie, you're a smart cookie. Okay?

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:56 am

THX1138 wrote:Basically the writers are pissed because the Emmy committee cut out 15 minutes form the broadcast portion of the awards and the people losing out are the writers. Since the writers have egos like everyone else they're up in arms over the whole thing saying it violates some principle and how it belittles them and casts the role of the writer and show runner as being less important, etc, etc. I think that's about it.

Oh, and El? Don't let me ever catch you calling yourself an idiot. You're anything but and you should know that. If you don't well then just take my word for it sweetie, you're a smart cookie. Okay?

king RM

We all have Egos, Rob. Big big egos. It's hard pressed to find someone in LA without an Ego. I know Emily. She's an angel. No really, she is.

And I'm an idiot, lots of things I don't understand, it has to be put into simple words. I'm a simple person. Smile
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:28 am

RGPageantqueen wrote:We all have Egos, Rob. Big big egos. It's hard pressed to find someone in LA without an Ego. I know Emily. She's an angel. No really, she is.
Nice save. Seriously I know that everyone has an ego and Hollywood is filled with some of the biggest egos on the planet, but Em just isn't your stereotypical "Do you know who I am" type of star. She's the sweetest, nicest, most undemanding person...okay, clearly I'm a little biased here but I'm right, aren't I?

And I'm an idiot, lots of things I don't understand, it has to be put into simple words. I'm a simple person. Smile
Grrr. quit calling yourself an idiot. Trust me, I've worked with idiots before sweetie - you ain't one of them. Unless you're prepared to lump yourself in with the rest of the inbred mouth breathing knuckle dragging morons out there then you, Miss Ella, are not an idiot. Simple does not mean stupid. Age and experience are greater teachers than most any school. You're young hon, you'll figure out I'm right later on in life. Most people do.

king RM

I'm the king, and like the pope on this I am infallible.
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:35 am

THX1138 wrote:
RGPageantqueen wrote:We all have Egos, Rob. Big big egos. It's hard pressed to find someone in LA without an Ego. I know Emily. She's an angel. No really, she is.
Nice save. Seriously I know that everyone has an ego and Hollywood is filled with some of the biggest egos on the planet, but Em just isn't your stereotypical "Do you know who I am" type of star. She's the sweetest, nicest, most undemanding person...okay, clearly I'm a little biased here but I'm right, aren't I?

Grrr. quit calling yourself an idiot. Trust me, I've worked with idiots before sweetie - you ain't one of them. Unless you're prepared to lump yourself in with the rest of the inbred mouth breathing knuckle dragging morons out there then you, Miss Ella, are not an idiot. Simple does not mean stupid. Age and experience are greater teachers than most any school. You're young hon, you'll figure out I'm right later on in life. Most people do.

king RM

I'm the king, and like the pope on this I am infallible.

Speaking of egos, ladies and gentlemen, I think we have found our king.

And watch, Rob, when you meet her you'll realize she's an egotistical demanding bitch. No I'm kidding, I love Emily, I don't want her to be like that. Though I've heard that Emily's the nice one, it's David who has the Ego. Not huge, but the ego is evident in the way he talks to his fans.
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by A2BOREANAZ Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:34 am

AGREE WITH THX.....ella....you are NOT an idiot............as far as egos go....would still like to meet with db and ed.......met russell crowe...who has the biggest ego EVER!!!! and it was still pretty cool........
A2BOREANAZ
A2BOREANAZ
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Number of posts : 35708
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by RGPageantqueen Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:11 am

A2BOREANAZ wrote:AGREE WITH THX.....ella....you are NOT an idiot............as far as egos go....would still like to meet with db and ed.......met russell crowe...who has the biggest ego EVER!!!! and it was still pretty cool........
Aww, thanks A2B. I'd LOOOOVE to meet DB and ED. I have never met actors before. I've met quite a few singers before. Smile
RGPageantqueen
RGPageantqueen
Deputy Director
Deputy Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: News

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum