Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

writing "ripped from the headlines" stories?

4 posters

Go down

writing "ripped from the headlines" stories? Empty writing "ripped from the headlines" stories?

Post by dawnsfire Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:11 pm

I had an idea for a new fic, based on something that just happened this past month here in the Chicagoland area. No physical trauma, but plenty of emotional. Some of you may have heard about the cemetery scam, where employees dug up bodies and then resold the plots. From what I understand, the older bodies were jumbled together and definitely are unidentified. My first thought was that they're going to need a forensic anthropologist. (wouldn't it be cool if Kathy Reichs was involved?)

So my question actually is, can I keep it set in Chicago and use the actual cemetery or should I move it closer to DC and make up a place? Or am I fretting too much?

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

writing "ripped from the headlines" stories? Empty Re: writing "ripped from the headlines" stories?

Post by DBCrazy Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:41 pm

I'd vote to use the scenario in a fictional setting. Chicago is big enough that that wouldn't matter, but I'd probably make up a new cemetery name. Moving it to DC wouldn't be necessary, and it'd give B/B a good reason for a road trip!!

The reason I'd change the cemetery is you never really know who will be reading, and sometimes reality bites! Also, you can make up extra things that you might want to put into the story!!
DBCrazy
DBCrazy
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 11341
Say What You Want : I was sad to see this place close. I called it home for a while.
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

writing "ripped from the headlines" stories? Empty Re: writing "ripped from the headlines" stories?

Post by THX1138 Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:30 pm

I'm with Sherry on this one. Keep the details but lose the name, it keeps the intensity and realism of the original story.

Also, a B&B roadtrip to Chicago? Queenie, think of the possibilities! Booth can go nuts trying to get Bones to eat at different restaurants (I'm thinking Berghoff's here - that would be awesome), riding on the el, ordering a Chicago style pie, the whole deal. Oh, and make it in the winter, since nothing is quite like Chicago in the winter time with that wind coming off the lake. Yikes.

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnsfire Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:52 pm

Thank you both, for your input. We'll see if I can get this to work (a million plot bunnies and the story I want to work on is stuck!).

If only Berghoff's was what it used to be... They closed, you know, and my last job wasn't downtown, so I have no idea if they've reopened. Not as it was, I'm sure.
Actually, I had a planned joint fic, a case set in Chicago, with another author, so I don't want to screw that up too far... and it would include a visit to some of Brennan's past. Opinions on that: body in the subway, body washed up near the museums, extra bodies at the cemetary? We were bouncing around the 1st 2, but maybe the 3rd might work instead. Or wait, that's the Priest in the Churchyard, isn't it? Mad

Winter...ye gods, oh please, don't remind me! *shivers*

queen
dawnsfire
dawnsfire
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 2086
Say What You Want : "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Avatar is "Queen of the Night" by Wendy Pini
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1343900/dawnsfire

Back to top Go down

Post by THX1138 Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:41 pm

dawnsfire wrote:Thank you both, for your input. We'll see if I can get this to work (a million plot bunnies and the story I want to work on is stuck!).
Man do I know that feeling. Don't worry, it'll come in time.

If only Berghoff's was what it used to be... They closed, you know, and my last job wasn't downtown, so I have no idea if they've reopened. Not as it was, I'm sure.
Actually, I had a planned joint fic, a case set in Chicago, with another author, so I don't want to screw that up too far... and it would include a visit to some of Brennan's past. Opinions on that: body in the subway, body washed up near the museums, extra bodies at the cemetary? We were bouncing around the 1st 2, but maybe the 3rd might work instead. Or wait, that's the Priest in the Churchyard, isn't it? Mad
Hey, Berghoff's wasn't what it used to be before they closed. I was there in the late 80's with my folks and it was a wonderful experience, then again in the late 90's and it sucked. Still it's a fanfic, you're Berghoff's can be the good old one. Also I love the idea of Brennan looking up bits of her own pasat, maybe even running into one of the few friends she had as a child before she entered the system.

BTW, I like all three ideas but I'm really partial to the idea of a body on the subway, but it's Chicago - how about a skeleton on a section of elevated track? How did it get there? Hmmm...

Winter...ye gods, oh please, don't remind me! *shivers*
Yep, coldest winter I've ever experienced is in Chicago - and I was in Montana when it was -22 with windchill, nothing beats Chicago for a frigid winter. *Brrrr*

king RM
THX1138
THX1138
Therapist
Therapist

Number of posts : 3976
Say What You Want : Come visit me on Twitter: King_RM
Registration date : 2009-05-13

http://www.fanfiction.net/~robertmodean

Back to top Go down

Post by saraluvzbonz Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Other people have done this type of thing. I'm thinking specifically of Labsquint's Shroud Eater.... I don't think it would be a problem.
saraluvzbonz
saraluvzbonz
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum